Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tkzvtkzv Member Posts: 1
    I am going to be purchasing an EX or EX-L in the KC market within the week. Anyone have a dealer recommendation. I have a quote of $24,381 OTD for the EX and EX-L $25,729 OTD. The EX-L price seems a bit steep. And can anyone confirm that they have extended the $500 to the dealer through 9/6?

My thought is to take the lowest price I get and bounce back to them for $1000 less and see what happens. I guess the worse that can happen is they say no. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    irishrogue1irishrogue1 Member Posts: 127
    well this morning i spent two hours at landmark honda in alexandria, va arguing and getting baited back and forth between the salesperson and 2 managers all of whom claimed ignorance as to why the deal was going south. before i ever got there, they agreed to $750 under invoice (inc. dest). when i got there they tried every trick possible to get back up to invoice. they tweaked the monthly payment a bit. and then lied about paying the sales tax up front while at the same time rolling it into the lease! they cleverly kept saying that the sales tax would be paid up front as a cap cost reduction - so they werent technically double charging me for sales tax. after 2 hrs, i finally tore up the papers called the sales manager a liar, questioned how badly he must rip off uneducated consumers and walked out.

now i have to start all over at another local dealer.

it was THE worst buying experience i have ever had. i would rather they just refuse to sell a car under invoice because of their margins rather than dropping under and then trying to recover it through inflated doc fees, claimed sales tax prepayment, slightly higher interest rate, waived security deposits, saying the $595 fee was being paid up front when it was also rolled into the lease and on and on....
  • Options
    madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    You should get the diminished value you lose from the insurance company. They have a formula that will pay to you the loss of value due to your van being refurbished. You may have to demand it though. Many people don't even ask for it because they are not aware it's available. Wife worked in insurance claims many years.
  • Options
    aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    Hi all,
           Given the discounts on the 2004 Odyssey, is it better to get a 04 than an 05?
    Will the 05 prices be as competitive? If not, is the 05 worth the wait and the extra money?

Or, is it better to wait till late September to make the decision? Will the discounts on the 04 models continue even in September?
  • Options
    tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    The MSRP on 05 will be lower than 04 just like the 04 Siena versus 03 ones. But in the first few month 05 will go close to MSRP while 04 is now under invoice from $600 to $1200.

Whether 05 is worth the extra money depends how you like new features on 05. Go check out the future Odyssey thread in the Owner's club board.

You might not be able to find a 04 Odyssey in late September. Even if you locate one, the dealer that still has one is a greedy dealer to begin with.

If you can wait till November, get a Sienna at around invoice since everybody is eyeing the new Odyssey then. If you can wait till next Febuary, you can get a 05 Odyssey for about $1000 over invoice.
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    I suppose it's possible the MSRP could be lower but it's not a safe assumption so I wouldn't count on it.

My opinion is that the '04 is the "better buy" right now but if you think you'll regret not having the newer model when it comes out you might want to wait. I'm '04 shopping and this is one of my concerns.

As for the Sienna, right now to get one similarly equipped would run you several thousand $ more than the Ody which is why I've ruled it out. Toyota kills you with their options packages.
  • Options
    jonesyjonesy Member Posts: 2
    Just got quote from a dealer in Virginia...includes wheels locks and pin strips:

$26,514 Base +
    $ 796 (3% VA Sales Tax)
    $ 51 (county tax)
    $ 189 (processing)
    $ 51 (license & title)
    $27,601 = OTD

Can I do better or is this a good deal?
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "The MSRP on 05 will be lower than 04 just like the 04 Siena versus 03 ones"

Before the Sienna, Toyota was able to introduce new cars cheaper than previous generation models on several lines, including the Celica, Corolla, and Camry.

I don't know that much about the history of Honda and price changes from one generation to the next. Can you point to any instances where a new generation Honda was cheaper than the preceeding?
  • Options
    vinsonavinsona Member Posts: 13
    Hello,
    It seeme like many others, we have narrowed our choices down to the 04 Sienna or the 04 Odyssey. We live in Southeastern, Pa and I am looking for some price references (Are the TMV prices realistic in my area?) on the Odyssey to help ensure we are getiing the most for our $$$ …like everyone else :)
    Looking to take delivery by the end of AUG.

04 Sienna (7 passanger FWD) LE: TMV $26,008
    BI LE Package #4
    RF Rear Spoiler
    ZL Preferred Premium Accessory Package
    Etc...

Or

04 EX Odyssey with DVD Entertainment System : TMV $25,305 (plus $500 incentive)
    AIR DEFLECTOR
    SPLASH GUARDS
    (no other option needed)
  • Options
    jonesy, you can probably do a little better. I've got quotes on the EX-L RES for $26,970 base. The RES is worth more than $456! Also, fight that "processing" fee, make them at least cut it in half unless they really come down on the base. Find out what the dealer invoice is from Edmunds or elsewhere and subtract $500 (the factory to dealer incentive) and that is the highest you should pay. Good luck.
  • Options
    jonesyjonesy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback skinnytony. I didn't have the $500 incentive on my cost sheet, so that should definitely come off the OTD price.
  • Options
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does RES stand for? I see prices for EX-RES. Does it stand for the DVD system?

Also, what are the current prices for EX with cloth interior but with a DVD in Colorado?
  • Options
    RES stands for Rear Entertainment System according to a previous post. But my question still remains. Does this include the DVD system?
  • Options
    Where ( which dealer, which city ) are those prices from? You both seem to have got good prices or quotes.

In Denver, Colorado area I got an internet quote of $25,958 + taxes for a 2004 Odyssey EX-RES.

Is that too high?

The local dealer in Colorado Springs sells 04 LX for 24,990 + tax.

I am willing to fly almost anywhere within 1000 miles to buy the Odyssey. If I can get an EX-RES for below $24,500 before taxes I will be interested. If you know of any dealer selling for that price please let me know. I am ready to buy NOW.

BTW, I have a 2000 Odyssey LX and I love it.
  • Options
    genetageneta Member Posts: 23
    Try the Internet Manager at Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge, VA. They beat the pants off of Landmank when I purchased my 2004 Accord V6EX. Paid out the door -- including all taxes and fees and dealer installed options (wind deflector & fog lights) -- $25,009 plus they added mud guards, Honda pin striping, door and fender edge guards. Also I added an additional $800 in dealer options. Sticker on this car is almost $27,000 plus tax!
  • Options
    tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    >Can you point to any instances where a new >generation Honda was cheaper than the receeding?

My prediction is not based on new model pricing history of Honda.

Honda the car maker seems like to keep their car's actual retail value near MSRP. This is indicated by the relatively narrower invoice and MSRP gap and the less frequent and smaller incentives.

As we all know it, the MSRP of the current Odyssey is not reflecting market value at all. So I am thinking Honda will take the new model introduction as an opportunity to lower the price. Granted, the new model is better. But I presume Honda would want to keep the pricing advantage over Toyota. Like they do for all their models. One Honda sales guy told me that the new Odyssey will be lower priced, but of course in the first few month, it will be sold around MSRP.
  • Options
    flgirlfiveflgirlfive Member Posts: 17
    Does Honda have an extended warranty? If so, is there one close to 7 yesr/100,000 miles/$0 deductible? If so, how much?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    chrishagwoodchrishagwood Member Posts: 2
    We've given up on a decent priced used Odyssey...everyone wants too much! The only ones with a decent discount have 60-80K miles...we've done that so many times we're ready to buy new and avoid all the repairs.

All set to buy an EX-L:
    $25,500 EX-L
    $ 398 DOC (geez!)
    $ 61 title
    $ 765 NC Tax
    ------------
    $26,724

We like the Sage Brush Pearl, so we're going to hold out for that one if we can.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try a Discussion Search in here for Extended Warranty.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    "chrishagwood", fight that doc fee. That's too high. If they won't budge, walk out the door.
  • Options
    newtohondanewtohonda Member Posts: 7
    Chrisgowood,

I paid $ 25,050 (incl. destination) + tax, tags and doc in the DC area this weekend. You can do better on the base price...
  • Options
    what dealer? i have been having trouble getting any area dealers to go below $500 under invoice let alone $1000!
  • Options
    what dealer? i have been having trouble getting any area dealers to go below $500 under invoice let alone $1000!
  • Options
    brianbbrianb Member Posts: 13
    I have a quote for $24,199 + Tax and Tags from Philadelphia Honda for a 2004 ODyssey EX/

Can I do better?
  • Options
    brianbbrianb Member Posts: 13
    Trying to decide between the MPV and Odyssey...any comments?
  • Options
    nope...

You have me beat. I got an quote "Special Internet Pricing" $24,779 in the Philly Suburbs...
  • Options
    I just put down a "refundable" deposit via phone/fax on a silver EX w/ leather & DVD. Quote is $26,750 + tax & tags. Too good to pass up? My biggest stress is not waiting for the '05 which I planned on doing until I got this offer...
  • Options
    The Mazda MPV vs. Honda Odyssey discussion auto-archived due to lack of postings - I think people shop the MPV when they want a minivan smaller than an Odyssey.

The rap on the MPV was a hard 2-3 shift that seems to have been fixed by a tranny reflash. Check out the brand specific discussions over in Vans since this board is for pricing talk.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    04 Honda Odyssey EX-RES.
    Vehicle Cost $24,749.00
    1.8% City Tax $445.48
    Doc Fee $289.99
    30 day Drive Out Tag/Registration $30.00
    State Tire Tax $5.00
    Total out the door price is $25,519.47.

Does every dealer in the country charge a doc fee of $289.99? I live in Colorado and the above deal is from an out-of-state ( AZ ) dealer. Why should I pay city tax when I am going to drive it out of state? Is there a way to get that money back?
  • Options
    frugalcatfrugalcat Member Posts: 7
    aristotle,

The dealers in Denver, Colorado seem to be on the greedy side.

I bought my 2004 EX-L from Menlo Honda, CA. It is in the San Francisco Bay Area. The dealership is small and there is only one Internet Sale Manager.

Good luck!
  • Options
    srivsriv Member Posts: 1
    I bought it from Bernardi Honda, MA last week. Got the price quote through Edmunds, spend about an hour dealing with paper work and took delivery the next day.

I thought I got a good deal. Couple of days back, I left the van at a parking lot. Came back to see somebody hit the rear end and left it with quite a few scratches and a dent. Whatever money I thought as saved, is now on its way to autobody
  • Options
    irish,

I requested quotes from several dealers in the DC area and took the lowest quote to the nearest dealer and got a price match. I got several good prices. One of the lowest was from Criswell Honda (OTD price of 26,140).
  • Options
    sundalsundal Member Posts: 2
    Bought Ody EX Burgundy (redrock pearl) with Ivory interior (no dvd, no leather) from John Hoover Honda at Danville, VA. Couldn't get anybody in the triangle area - from Greensboro thru Raleigh-Durham to get me a better price.
    base: $ 23811
    tax: 3%
    doc fee: $ 189
    NC registration: $ 55
    total otd: $ 24,769.33
    They made sure they got the 33 cents !!
    Got wheel locks, mud guard and pin stripes for free. They tried to sell me a vehicle with no mud guard (inspite of verbal deal earlier), but my wife made sure we got it. Business Mgr can use some smile. Thx much for all the info on this board.
    sundal
  • Options
    That number sounds better than what I got and thought was GREAT!

2004 Odyssey EX DVD cloth interior is $26449.

They told me the 05's would be out in Sept. Tough to say how they will be priced and if any 04 will be left with option you want.
  • Options
    sivasiva Member Posts: 2
    How come your sales tax is so low. What percent?
  • Options
    sivasiva Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a EX-L

7% sales Tax
    + Title
    + Doc fee
    -------------
    -------------

Is it a good price?
  • Options
    Per the Rules of the Road link above, please don't post names of individual salespeople or their contact info. Otherwise we get bombarded with shill posts. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kdiamondkdiamond Member Posts: 5
    oopps - sorry! I am a newbie, and am truly sorry. I will read "Rules of the Road" and be a better poster. KMD
  • Options
    No biggie. It's ok to name dealers and locations, etc.

We're still waiting for your edited post :-)

Steve, Host

(and welcome to Town Hall!)
  • Options
    watiiwatii Member Posts: 21
    I am wanting to get a new odyssey, and went to a dealership yesterday, wow what fun. Tried to discuss the special lease offer through Honda, they acted like it didn't exist. Even when i pulled it out and showed it to them they said that add was very misleading, and that i was going to need to put $3000 down and pay 330 a month plus tax for an EX-RES, they tried to tell me they were only making $600 on the deal. Needless to say left sans odyssey.
    I would like some advice for negotiation. I would like a EX-L w/RES and from what I've read here could probably get it for around $26,500. Sent several quote requests out, only response so far is $28,600. How do I need to approach this if what I really want is this price for a lease? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in Middle Tennessee. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Pick the nearest large city, send e-mails from the Honda.com website to ALL dealers in that area asking them for a quote. Make sure you ask them for the base price as well as the Out the door price and a breakdown of that price.

This is advice based on other posts in this newsgroup and worked like a charm for me (DC area).
  • Options
    One Denver dealer agreed to sell the 04 Odyssey EX-RES at $24,749+$299 doc fee + tax after I told him about the price in Phoenix. But he is not giving anything free. Other Denver dealers are sticking to a price $1100 above this and are awestruck at the above price. They keep calling/emailing me to confirm the price.

I still can't understand why some car dealers are so much greedier than others.
  • Options
    w41 packagew41 package Member Posts: 8
    I just hooked up the 04 Odyssey EX-RES 2 year lease at Fairfax Honda in VA. They honored the honda special lease price ($24,970.08) and charged a $330 doc fee. I thought the doc fee was high, but agreed to pay it after I went to another dealer who refused to honor the honda lease program at all(they wanted 26k for the van plus doc fee). The dealers said inventory is still there on the 04 Odyssey EX-RES but starting to shrink, but vans are still rolling on trucks from the factory. Some small volume dealers who are not getting too many more think they can do better than the Honda lease price I guess.

1 question, when did Honda start offering the 04 Odyssey EX-RES (with cloth)? Is it really 2004.5 model?
  • Options
    The story I heard on the EX-RES is that they had extra DVD systems so they started slapping them in the EX. This seems odd to me because there is a lot higher demand for the EX-L and one would assume they make more money on it as well. EX-L RES are the most difficult to find, so why didn't they put the "extra" DVDs in the EX-L?!? Go figure.
    Anyway, I have a deposit on a factory fresh '04 EX-L RES (delivery date 8/12). My wife and I test drove a Sienna today and liked it more than the Ody but not $7-$9 thousand more!
  • Options
    kdiamondkdiamond Member Posts: 5
    Here is my most recent pricing for EX-RES w/Leather:

$26,990 ($3000 off MSP)
    $289 dealers handling fees

Any thoughts? Thanks, KDiamond
  • Options
    dbajpaidbajpai Member Posts: 4
    hi:
    i am going to wait for a 05 model, i would like to know if i am better off just getting base EX and get aftermarket navigation/dvd system or get one that is fully loaded - i would appreciate feedback from people who have the '04 odysseys and went down this path --thanks drew
  • Options
    Look around the Honda Odyssey GPS navigation system discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    watiiwatii Member Posts: 21
    I have had trouble getting any quotes even close to what other people have posted here. The best I have received here in the Nashville area is $1200 over invoice.

Last night got a call from a dealer 2 1/2 hours away who said he could sell me an EX-L RES for invoice plus $189 doc fee. He has eight of this configuration and he said I could take my pick, no dealer add ons.

Can I expect to do any better than this? These EX-L RES seem to be getting scarce. Any advice would be appreciated. My gut is telling me to go ahead, i'm afraid if i wait much longer all of the deals are going to disappear. And school starts back next week.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Inventories are down to nothing now and the dealers can hold out for a more profitable deal.

The fewer the cars, the higher the prices. Those who wait hoping for a better deal will either pay more or walk away empty handed.

Happens every year and this will be no exception.
  • Options
    odysseyodyssey Member Posts: 3
    I am from Michigan. If I buy form Ohio, which tax will I pay? Do I have to pay the "USE TAX" in form 1040 on a purchase made in OH for use in MI ?