Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    How can a dealer hold a customer hostage over a van that's six model years old? At least until the new model comes out, it's a buyer's market. With a few exceptions (M5, SL65, etc.), there are almost always more people willing to sell than are willing to buy.

So you're saying when there's only one new '04 Odyssey left in the entire country, that dealer can name his price? Not a chance.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't understand the hostility but I'll still answer your question.

Nobody is holding anyone "hostile" over anything. If you think it's not a good value, you should buy something else.

Maybe you never took ecomomics or business classes in school but it's ALWAYS supply and demand that drives sales.

A lot of people LOVE the current Odyssey and are tickled to get a great car at a discounted price.

The 2005's will be a hot commodity and these shoppers know discounts will be few nad far between for the reason I stated above.

The market will always determine pricing on anything.
  • Options
    There was no hostility to understand. But I am insulted by your insinuation I am uneducated.

Your cocky 'happens every year' remark spurred my response. You smugly gave the impression that shoppers for '04 Odysseys are basically participants in a game of musical chairs, and prices will climb as fewer closeout models remain. I merely pointed out this is not the case.
  • Options
    watiiwatii Member Posts: 21
    Could you answer my question, should I move on an EX -L RES for invoice ($27,470) and $189 doc fee?
  • Options
    Given the fact this is a close-out model--and that there are factory-to-dealer incentives--I would shoot for under-invoice. Especially considering you'll be driving yesterday's news in two short months. And $189 for doc fees is outrageous.
  • Options
    watiiwatii Member Posts: 21
    I cant seem to find a dealer anywhere interested in getting rid of this van for the below invoice prices. By the way the doc fee includes tags and title etc, there are no other charges besides this. i will be leasing the van for two years and could care less if it is an out of date vehicle beforte i drive it off the lot. i am very suspicious of all the know it alls here on these forums.

From the way some of you talk i think the dealers pay you to come on their lots. Oh well, I guess i'll go ahead and get it. I love the van, and can't really see how an ivoice price is a bad deal considering dealers will still charging above MSRP a year ago.

I'm sure the new ones will be bringing a premium for all of the people who must have the newest coolest and most up to date.
  • Options
    I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post. It sounded pretty abrasive but perhaps I read it wrong.

Believe me, I was only trying to instill a sense of urgency in those who may be shopping for an Odyssey. supplies, at least in my neck of the woods are very low. As as example, the EXL are all but gone now.

And, I'm sorry, but it does happen every year. Some shoppers wait too long in their attempt to get the best deal only to discover they can't get their first choice color etc.

And, prices WILL rise as inventories drop.

I'm worried now there will be a massive bubble in the pipeline between the 2004 and 2005 Odysseys.
  • Options
    Have you even looked at a Sienna?

And if 'newest, coolest and most up-to-date' means safety and convenience features not offered on the Odyssey, then you're correct.

BTW: I'm not a know-it-all (or a car salesman); I'm just a real estate developer who likes his Sienna. Unlike some Honda-lovers here, I actually shopped the other brand before I bought.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I shopped them all (mostly) in late '98 when I was buying. I thought the Odyssey was a good value at MSRP back then and came very close to buying one.

The dealer will most likely make holdback on an invoice deal, plus there may be other Honda incentives to that dealer that we'll never know about.

Anyway, it's your money and if you're happy with the numbers you have on the table, go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about having the absolute best deal since someone will show up a little while later with a better one :-)

Enjoy the ride!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    The price you got in Denver is too high. Dealers are willing to sell at $100 over invoice. For an EX-L price should then be $25,732 not $26,990.
  • Options
    dan9dan9 Member Posts: 1
    Several dealers in Dallas area are willing to sell the 04 Odyssey below invoice price. I bough a LX for 22,000.00 +TTL yesterday.
  • Options
    dbobdbob Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping Odysseys for the past month and finally took delivery today. I went with the EX cloth for $23,998. I went through the Fleet Dept. at Harbor City Honda (in L.A.).

The only thing that went wrong was I didn't discuss the extended warranty with my wife before meeting with the F&I guy. He came in high, and when my wife showed a lot of interest I could see the F&I guy licking his lips. We overpaid $1800 for the 7yr/100K no deductible and I'm still kicking myself.

Let this be a lesson to all couples. Discuss this stuff before you sit down in front of the sales or F&I guy.
  • Options
    wolfensteinwolfenstein Member Posts: 11
    Well, you can consider the $1800 as your future repair deductible. :) Don't feel too bad though, as you did get a fantastic price on the EX. Everyone makes mistakes. The good thing is that you will get peace of mind for 7 years.
  • Options
    I think your extended warranty can be cancelled but you may not be able to buy another Honda one for this van. Check the fine print.

Maybe if you call the F&I person and indicate that you found out you paid too much and intend to cancel the warranty, some of it could be refunded to you.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    dbajpaidbajpai Member Posts: 4
    hi:
    i am interested in buying a '05 odyssey and there r some dealers willing to take orders at MSRP? is this standard practice, alternatively whats a good strategy for a '05 ody -thanks drew
  • Options
    odyqueen1odyqueen1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all on this message board. I finally jumped in and bought a new '04 EX-L-NAV van this weekend in Philadelphia. I paid:

$26,900 (incl. destination) +
    $137.50 (tags) +
    6% tax. Total out the door: $28,651.00

If anyone is on the fence about buying an '04, I would highly recommend buying one soon. We got our first color choice and there is still a pretty good assortment of vans. I absolutely love the van and am looking for extra places to drive it!! Good luck to all.
  • Options
    philapaphilapa Member Posts: 25
    Watii,

I bought my EXL-RES for $26700 plus destination and tax from the Philadelphia area two weeks agao. I got the pinstripe, mud guard, wheel lock and cargo linerm for this price. I paid $100 for the auto registration and doc preparation (using my current PA tag). The dealer did not charge me extra for locating my van from a different dealer for the color I want.

It is hard to say if your price is fair or too high. It all depends on your area.

But I did not see any EXL-RES in the dealer lot last week I went back to the dealer. I saw two EX-RES, and the rest of it were EXL, or EX.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    dbobdbob Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I went back and complained to the General Manager. He put me with a different F&I guy and I was able to get him down to $1200. Not a great deal, but I feel better than I did.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    flgirlfiveflgirlfive Member Posts: 17
    We are not getting the great deals on an EX-L-Res that I am reading about on these posts. We are thinking of switching modes. In general, what is the best model to get a deal on out of the EX line? Is it the plain EX?
  • Options
    Good going!

Now, the real question - are you going to share that $600 bucks with your wife?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    At least in my neck of the woods.

Going....going....almost...gone!

Move quickly folks. I'm serious!
  • Options
    Or kick back and wait for the '05's :-)

Any official release date?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    nnnnnnnn Member Posts: 6
    In Houston it is September 22 according to one dealer ship.
  • Options
    tammy17tammy17 Member Posts: 2
    04 Honda Odyssey EX cloth
    Vehicle Cost $23,714.00
    Tax $1948.27
    Doc Fee $45.
    Tow package/armrest/Guardian $1379.
    State Tire Tax $5.00
    License Fee $218.
    Total out the door price is $27,310.27

I have the honda care warranty 7 year 75,000 mile for $930 total!!!!!!!

This is in Citrus Heights Calif.
  • Options
    In your opinion, is it better to take the available discounts ( if any ) and buy the 04 Odyssey or to wait and buy the 05? I know that this is very subjective, but what do you think honestly?
  • Options
    The 2004 Odyssey is a great car that is well liked and well proven. The 2005's will have additional features that may or may not be of interest to you. Personally, I couldn't care less if the third seat splits or the rear windows roll down. For you, that could be a big deal.

Don't look for any discounting on the 2005 models either in the early months/maybe years.

I guess if a peerson is happy with the 2004's and is looking to save 1000's of dollars, that's the way to go.

I can't stress enough how quickly the inventories are disappearing so it may be a moot point.

Had a "smart shopper" outsmart himself the other day. He was looking at the ***last*** EXL we had in a certain color. He made a dumb offer that was rejected. Then he went EVERYWHERE trying to get "his" price which made no sense.

Finally, he realized his numbers were in the woods and he returned to me. Of course, it was LONG gone. He had to settle for his third choice color and it was also the last one in stock.
  • Options
    bobtonicbobtonic Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all on this message board. I bought a new '04 EX-L van this weekend in Lansdale,PA. I paid OTD price $27047.50

Price $25,400 (incl. destination)
    tax (PA) $1524.00 (6%)
    Tag&title fees $123.50

Good luck to all.
  • Options
    isellHondas,
                Even I do not care too much about rolldown windows in the middle row. I do not care about the large number of cup holders in the 05 van. But the 3rd row split may be something worth having.
    I am mainly interested in knowing more about cabin noise in the 05 Odyssey. If it is significantly reduced then I want the 05.
    Also, if some of the cylinders get shutoff to save fuel, I am all for it.

The deals on the 2004 are too enticing though.
    Also, I currently have a 2000 Odyssey LX and am looking forward to getting Power doors on the EX.

I will wait for a couple of more weeks to make the decision. If the 04s are gone by then so be it.
  • Options
    Two questions.
    First, we are flip flopping between the EX-L (and buying a dvd player that sits in between the seats as we will only use the dvd player for trips) or the EX-L-Res. It seems to be a better deal to buy the EX-L and buy the $300 system that sits between the front seats. Am I missing something?

Second, we are trying to deal through the internet. Are there any tricks that we should watch out for so there aren't any surprises at the dealership?
  • Options
    Yep, there's always something unexpected. Try to get the VIN and all the numbers in writing. Some people like to verify by fax thinking that a fax is stronger than an email.

That may save you a needless trip to the dealer and stop bait and switch or a bunch of F&I add-ons. At least when you shop by email the dealer can't "lose" your drivers license and won't be tempted to toss your car keys on the roof.

Online Car Buying Revisited

Steve, Host
  • Options
    odysseyodyssey Member Posts: 3
    Bought one yesterday.

$25323+Document fee $99 + Tax 6%+Title $15+Registration

OTD $27113.32
  • Options
    Where did you buy?
  • Options
    odysseyodyssey Member Posts: 3
    MI
  • Options
    sarathsarath Member Posts: 1
    I heard from a dealer that there is a major recall
    for Odyssey and other Honda vehicles.. Do you think this is the reason the prices have come down for Odessey ?
  • Options
    As you can tell, we are all over the board on this van buying. Why is there such a small difference in the EX and the EX-Res? I think it is $600-$700. If you look at the difference btwn the EX-L and the EX-L-Res the difference is $1300. Is there a different DVD system being put in?
  • Options
    hondaman1hondaman1 Member Posts: 6
    You guys are getting some tremendous deals. I love Honda products and I just won't buy anything else. I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES, I paid $28,000 for it new in 2003. I had to really look around to find this deal in 2003. I would love to get the 2005 with the expected changes/updates. However, I love my 2003. I also own a 1993 Accord LX which I also bought new in 1993 and I will never sell it or trade it, I love it. I also just bought a Honda Harmony Lawn mower a few months ago.
    My only complaint is that Honda should have offered a 60/40 split folding rear seat a long time ago, by at least 2001, since the current model has been around since 1999. I would like to see what the next Acura MDX is supposed to look like.
  • Options
    hondaman1hondaman1 Member Posts: 6
    The Rear Entertainment System (RES) IS the DVD system.
  • Options
    dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    There's a great deal going on EX's right now (but, I'm told, not with Leather). We had no real intention of trading our 3yr old Pontiac Montana, but they gave us a good deal on our trade.

Ultimately we leased an 04 w/ RES and Cargo Tray for 2 yrs / 12,000/year for $330/month + 5% Mass sales tax. No money down though I paid cash for the inception fee & security deposit.

I think the vehicle price was a little high ($26,645) but includes a package of "value ads" like dent removal and free loaners, and it was, yes, the ONLY EX/RES they had. Tough to beat driving a brand new Ody for under $350 a month!

Dan
  • Options
    texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    That car keys on the roof comment reminded me of something that happened once--during a repair they lost my keys and the remote opener was on there. They admitted that they'd lost the keys but denied that the remote thingy had ever been on there in the first place. I had to buy a new remote. Now I always just give them the key but take the remote thing off first. Live and learn!
  • Options
    I think people need to be more assertive in these kinds of situations - you can call or write the owner, general manager, the local consumer affairs reporter, the consumer protection agency, the BBB, or file a small claims action. I bet no judge or jury would believe a car dealer in a situation like that; everyone I know who has a remote carries it with their key.

Another option would be to pay for the remote with your credit card and then back charge it.

You folks in Texas are just too nice :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    Oh that's nice of you. But, I think I'm just too lazy/chicken to fight sometimes. I even thought about paying a guy at work to buy my next minivan for me because he seems so confident and energetic about it. I do want to get a good deal when I buy a car and I do want to buy the right/best minivan, so I sit here and do my homework and dread the actual event.

By the way, you were a host when I bought my first car using Edmunds in 2000. I was glad to find you were still here when I came back after being gone all this time.
  • Options
    The EX-L prices that I am seeing are those including the sports packages or just straight EX-Ls?
  • Options
    psppsp Member Posts: 8
    Alan,
    Can you name the dealer? I am in the market for 2004 Ody EX.

Thanks
  • Options
    kdiamondkdiamond Member Posts: 5
    Aristotle -
    Thanks for the insight. Actually, the price I was quoted were $26,990 for the EX-L RES, not the EX-L. Does that make a difference? (hopefully) Can you give me the name of the dealership that you have been in contact with in the Denver area? I am ready to buy tomorrow or the next day!
    Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    Contact John Elway Honda or Burt Kuni Honda in Denver. They were both ready to sell me a 2004 Odyssey EX-RES for $24,750+299+taxes.
  • Options
    tstraubtstraub Member Posts: 25
    Anyone have a good target price on an EX cloth, no DVD or NAV in Seattle/Tacoma? I am hearing 25,500 and 25,070 plus T&L, and $35 doc fee
  • Options
    gimenezjgimenezj Member Posts: 1
    Folks, need your advice. After my car was totaled in an accident this weekend, I need to buy an Odyssey asap (so I can't wait for the '05). Then I see the current offer at the Honda website for leasing the 2004 EX w/DVD for $259/month (24 months) with $2033 due when signing. A couple of questions to you:

1. is this really a good deal for a 2-years lease?

2. can the MSRP be negotiated ($28,980 w/destination and capitalized cost of $24,970, $19,706 purchase at lease's end) when dealing with an offer from Honda Corp.?

3. If MSRP is non-negotiable on this deal, how to negotiate some accessories, such as crossbars for roof rack, mudguards, floor mats (I saw those in the forum as those people typically ask for...)

Thanks much for you advice,
  • Options
    kdiamondkdiamond Member Posts: 5
    Aristotle -
    Thanks for your help. I bought the EX-RES for $24,750+$299+ taxes this afternoon here in Boulder, 2 miles from my house. Got the color I wanted, too - silver.
    Thanks to everyone on this list. I am absolutely delighted!
  • Options
    psppsp Member Posts: 8
    Can you name the dealer and location?
  • Options
    sageodysageody Member Posts: 3
    The 24 month lease is a good deal but still negotiable. The dealer can take more off the cap cost or give you the acc you want.