Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Gary, you beating yourself up for no reason - pricing is determined by local market conditions.

I was having my '05 Touring serviced Monday night and my salesman told me a remarkable story that took place just that day. He had a guy fly into Columbus from Bellingham, WA, to buy an '07 Touring R&N - he reportedly figured that he saved several thousand dollars because prices in the Pacific NW are about the highest in the continental U.S. The guy wanted to come to Ohio for some other reason anyway and so worked out a deal and killed two birds with one stone.
  • Options
    sgabriel13sgabriel13 Member Posts: 2
    Dealer gave me a price of $30,200. Invoice is 31,300. How much lower can the dealer go? Has anyone bought one in the $28,500-$29,000 range over the past few days? Thanks
  • Options
    bobbucksbobbucks Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased EX-L R and N tonight(straight deal,no trade) at Voss Honda in Ohio. Purchase price including destination was 29,087. I did get fog lights installed for 465 and was able to get out the door with 6.5% tax,titles tags,doc fees( and fog lights) for 31,875. I feel like I had an incredible experience using Donkey Punch method and would highly recommend! You feel so much more in control and skip the time wasting face to face at the dealership. They also were able to finance me through American Honda for 66 months at 5.49% I really worked my lowball quotes from other dealers and was able to go back to my home Honda with a solid quote. I really played on the fact that I was a return customer and tried to remain calm and respectful to the sales manager and he in return worked with me. I talked to him first on Monday night and then again on Tuesday and we sealed the deal over the phone. Hope this info helps out, Randy
  • Options
    ironmantkironmantk Member Posts: 10
    Hey Guys,

Just an update, I did finally buy at 35,500 otd included 7% sales tax and all fees etc. No trade in. I got some accesories at thier cost and about $400 for two small scratches very low on bumpers.

Listen to this though! The finance guy is in the Navy Credit Union and current rate is 3.5% / 72 mo.!!! I have Usaa at 4.9 / 60 mo.. I will be moving to the Navy soon!

I got the cargo tray, cargo net, cargo mat, dk wood dash & cup trim, and tinted front windows for $450.
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Are you saying you took delivery of your 07 Ody and the dealer called you 8 days later to tell you that you couldn't have the 4.9% because it wasn't compatible with the $2k factory-to-dealer cash? If so, tell him to kiss your butt. He's either the dumbest dealer on the planet or a serious liar. Either way, he loses. If he refuses to honor the deal, take the van back and let the general manager know that yo intend to rant to BBB and every person you know about his underhanded tactics.
  • Options
    egkoregkor Member Posts: 24
    Gary, you beating yourself up for no reason - pricing is determined by local market conditions.

Thanks, I am just wondering why some dealers can go lower than Invoice - $2000 (for 2007 stock), and others (like ours) can't or won't.

Thanks again for replies, this forum is once again very helpful and informative! I used this same forum back in 1999 when we bought our '99 Odyssey. Back then you paid MSRP+Dest. (sticker) and went on a "waiting list" (how times have changed!). So while I waited for our Odyssey to roll in from Canada, I stayed informed by reading these forums.

-Gary K
  • Options
    liverpool1liverpool1 Member Posts: 10
    I am shopping for an '07 Honda Odyssey EX in Syracuse, NY? Any idea about the reasonable price?
  • Options
    oddyexloddyexl Member Posts: 4
    Check the dealer inventory before you visit one. If they have lot of '07 odysseys (+10), then I wouldn't pay more than $23800 (all inclusive except TTL). Pay attention to doc fee & destination charge. Sometime they agree on a price and then put destination + a huge doc fee. These guys are now desperate. Plenty of 07 odysseys are still unsold.
  • Options
    sgabriel13sgabriel13 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help
  • Options
    ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    Is there a way to check the inventory other then calling a salesman?
  • Options
    hatetomowhatetomow Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an '08 Touring Ody without PAX tires. The deal did not include any trade-in. Our car was ordered and we drove out one day after it had arrived at the dealership. Base price for the vehicle was $37250. We had agreed on a price of $400 over dealer invoice including destination. Although I never saw the invoice, this price seemed reasonable to me and matched what had been posted on this forum regarding invoice for this trim line (36,214 + 635 dest). The only dealer add on was tinted windows (which we requested) for $135. So including 6.5% sales tax and the rest of the TTL, our OTD price was $39,950. My wife and I love the vehicle, so I guess that's what it's all about. I hope this helps someone out there. Thanks alot to Donkeypunch for his tips used in my transaction and also to Al Gore....for inventing the internet of course.
  • Options
    beachmom3beachmom3 Member Posts: 12
    Hi I am searching for a good price on a 2007 EX-L w/o RES and NAV. So far the best I have recieved is $26,453.00 the doc fees would be $95 on top of that. Is this a good deal? :confuse: If anyone has any tips for the southern NE area please reply
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    You should be able to do better than $26.4

I'd shoot for high 25's or 26 flat, including doc fees. If you're willing to be a little patient (the end of the month yields better deals), and then make an offer to a dealer with an understanding that if they accept it, you'll buy right then and there, you should be able to trim several hundred off that price.
  • Options
    ariane1ariane1 Member Posts: 15
    the price of high 25's or 26 flat, is that before or after TTL?
  • Options
    ariane1ariane1 Member Posts: 15
    some sales people told me that they have only 2 or 3 2007 EX-L odysseys left. is that just a sales trick, or do you think there might be some truth in it?
  • Options
    Thanks,
    I was aiming for 25,800 but would have taken $26,000. My husband thinks I should wait also. I am seeing a lot of EX-L's w RES and w/NAV but not so many w/o, I don't want to pay more for the extra equipment if I wait too long. though I don't think any of them are flying out the door.
    Also I think I may have ruined my chances for a good price with this dealer because I mentioned I was paying cash ( I know they hate that) I just didn't want to get into a discussion of car payments and financing....
  • Options
    Before TTL, after destination and processing.

In particularly, watch the doc fee and make sure to factor that in. I have dealers sending me quotes in the low $25ks, but you have to add in freight and a big process fee and it bumps it up $1k. Not such a great deal.

My low quote right now is 25.7, including freight and process. I think i may be able to do better, soon...this is a SLOW time for dealers...

It certainly is possible some dealers are out of specific models and colors. I want a rare color Ody, so my options are more limited.
  • Options
    enp14enp14 Member Posts: 16
    After speaking w/ many dealerships the best price I've gotten is $31,900 OTD. Has anyone done better than this? thx.
  • Options
    boilerup1boilerup1 Member Posts: 5
    Go onto the dealers website and it should so you the entire inventory of new cars (at least most typically do). That way you will be able to tell if they are telling you the truth.

I paid 24,300 for an EX just last week (except ttl). I would think 23,800 would be hard to find. I had offers of 26k, 24.9, 24,6 and 24.3
  • Options
    fredulosfredulos Member Posts: 1
    I got a call from a dealership today in MI indicating the the dealer cash on the 07 Odyssey is up to 2500. Can anyone confirm this? :)
  • Options
    mursilismursilis Member Posts: 20
    Can anyone who got their Ody from Hendricks Honda in Woodbridge, VA, send me the name of the salesperson you're dealing with for all these great deals? We're in the market for an EX-L with RES ourselves. Thanks. E-mail is Mursilis at gmail.com.
  • Options
    mknez04mknez04 Member Posts: 1
    What should my target price be?
  • Options
    Hi there,
    the latest price that I got for an EX is $24,132.00 (RI) am not sure if I can do better?
    :confuse:
  • Options
    donkeypunch1donkeypunch1 Member Posts: 119
    "Thanks, I am just wondering why some dealers can go lower than Invoice - $2000 (for 2007 stock), and others (like ours) can't or won't."

Gary, short answer is some dealers aren't as motivated. Reasons for this include: lower volume dealer (would rather sell 80 cars a month at greater profit and move 400+ cars a month at lower margins). They may even be higher volume but have a handful of vehicles left that your after or prime colors and a bunch of 08's arriving. Why unload for next to nothing when they can roll the dice a week or two to make something.

Bottom line is that there are dealers that for a multitude of reasons just aren't going to get where you need to be. No amount of negotiating, haggling, etc. is going to change that. That's one of the reasons I'm bullish on getting internet quotes from at least 10 dealers in your area and working the deal online until your ready to show up and buy. It's senseless to blow 3 hours of your time walking into a dealer thats never going to get there. Furthermore it's harder to "get there" walking into the door because commissions are structured differently for those handling walkins and the internet sales folks.

Ie, I have a honda dealer within 3 miles of me. They are consistently 2k+ higher than other deals out there. I'm all for keeping it local, even if that means a 300-500 extra. However, I can't justify blowing an extra 2K plus to save a 25 minute ride.

Get some more quotes online.
  • Options
    Kennedy, there's lots of posts about the topic, but get all your quotes online and ask what inventory they have. Just before going in to do the deal, confirm your selection (amongst other things). Dig back 6-10 pages and you'll find a list of stuff. Some dealers have inventory online but it can be dated info.
  • Options
    LOL all credit goes to Al Gore! I've merely compiled a list from all previous suggestions on the board.
  • Options
    I think tax in NJ/NY is 7 or 7.5%? Not a bad deal may be room for another $200 to $500 off, but probably wouldn't happen until last day of the month for someone that is hungry. If they have your first color choice, IMO it's reasonable enough deal to just be "done". Do you want any accessories? Get them to throw in 3 rows of all weather mats or whatever it is your looking for (within reason) and be done with it. If your price is OTD, there shouldn't be a dime more when you arrive. Show up with a check from Capital One, your credit union, etc. With Costco/Capital One...go throug Costco Website, you should be able to get 5.9% for 60 months. Bring just the check and not the booklet telling them the rate you got. Tell them you got 5.5% for 60 and if you have great credit they'll get you to 5.4% through honda.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    26453+95 = 26548

I got mine in Charlotte, NC for 25800+399 = 26199

You can at least save $350 on that basis.
  • Options
    That's correct. Some dealers post inventory on their website. The infor may be outdated, but it will give you a rough estimate as to which dealer to go to. The delaer I bought from had 31 odysseys available (as posted online). Also, another dealer I went to has a folder at his shop which listed all the odysseys he had in stock. You can ask for that information when you walk in. Some dealers are manipulative and will try to give you a roundabout answer - like "I have look up in my computer" or "I don't have it in front of me, let me ask the manager". That just means they have quite a few in stock and they are trying to hide that from you. Most sales people already know how many of a particular trim they have in stock.
  • Options
    :shades: Has anyone heard this? I have checked a lot of websites but am not finding anything that says it is $2500
  • Options
    Just heard that. Didn't say by how much, but $2500 makes sense.
  • Options
    fkwufkwu Member Posts: 9
    Get a internet quote: $27,290.00 plus doc fee of $99.00, 6% tax of $1,643.34, and plate fees. Any suggestion?
  • Options
    Ok I did the donkey punch method. 11 emails to dealers. so far one said to aggresive of a price $25k for ex and $26k for exl, two others said to come in (for the experience). i will hold out get the lowest price and bring to my local dealer. keep you posted
  • Options
    what dealer?
  • Options
    Hi there,
    Keep getting quotes! For 2007 EX I am getting quoted $24,132 for an EX-L $26,453 down to $26,221 The dealers keep e-mailing me back,I can match that etc...
    Hope that helps.
  • Options
    elam42elam42 Member Posts: 6
    Just got off the phone with a dealer. They confirmed that the holdback is now $2500 as of today 11/16/07
  • Options
    ok quote just in on 2007 ex-l with dvd
    sticker $33,290
    invoice $30,199..31
    selling $27,699 including destination, plus tax tile and license
    i am confirming the price again and if the rebate was upped to $2500 but is this a good deal? i am getting no work done but having a blast.
  • Options
    ivrundiivrundi Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone from the Southern California market tell me what kind of prices they got on a 2007 EX-L w/ Res and Nav and from what dealer? I have one quote from Weir Canyon Honda for $29k + TTL. Seems kind of high to me.

Thanks...
  • Options
    yes the $2500 has been confirmed
  • Options
    Depends on your local market conditions. You'll know after blasting requests to 15 dealers. In Chicago a week ago 27,100 incl. destination was good for EXL RES. If the extra $500 kick to the dealers is true, should be able to see $26400 (incl destination) from any dealer thats looking to move 07's to make room for 08's. Ask them if that's their bottom line and if their taking into account the dealer incentive that just jumped from 2K to 2500 today. See what they say. Wait until you see the quotes from others before really doing anything. After you get the bottom line from everyone, then you can give them an actual number to see if they can get any lower. As for the one's that said "come on in" for the treatment (which means you getting bent over, toss them in your deleted bucket and give them crappy feedback when honda motor sends you a quick survey on the experience from each dealer tomorrow. You requested a quote, not a friggin appointment.
  • Options
    llbabullbabu Member Posts: 7
    I really thank donkeypunch for helping so many people to get the deal straight and I have to use his guidelines.

Any one come across the 07 EX-L Best deals in Tristates (VA,MD,DC).

VA Dealer1 Price 25,353
    All price quotes do not include tax, tag, processing fee of $289, freight $635
  • Options
    We made a deal yesterday and gave a $500 deposit on a credit card. Can we still attempt to benefit from the added dealer incentive or are we locked into the agreed upon price? thx.
  • Options
    hondaody2hondaody2 Member Posts: 4
    I used the donkeypunch method and got 10 quotes in DCMDVA. I found the best to be $26,625 on an 07 exl and that price included all fees, dest, and even taxes. Also included the $499 pkg with mud guards, door trim, etc. for free.

Have not gone back now that the extra 500 was added to dealer incentive by Honda.
  • Options
    Did you sign all of the paperwork with the finance mgr or just sign a generic "this is the price" and put down a deposit?

While the deal isn't done until you take delivery (ink everything and drive off the lot), you've got to decide whether or not your willing to walk from it, potentially fighting over the $500 deposit if they don't sweeten the deal by $500. Fighting it probably wouldn't be too difficult (if the dealer tried to bluff and hold ground), because you could open up discrepancy with your CC company and complete the paperwork. Since you didn't actually "buy" anything, they'd probably cover your deposit and go back at the dealer.

If it was me, I'd probably call the guy and say that you understand the dealer marketing incentive from Honda increased today from $2000 to $2500 and that you want to actually buy the car today (ie, inferring you haven't bought it) but that you'd like to see this come off the purchase price of the van as you are going with this as opposed to their special financing. If they say they cannot do that, tell him you need to consult with the boss (your wife) but that your afraid she's probably going to pull the pin but that you'll call back to let them know. If they bring up the deposit, remind them that the deposit was an intent to purchase "x" vehicle and that since your not going to purchase it, they can refund the deposit and sell the car if I don't come in and "buy it". Wait an hour (maybe they call you back making a deal). If not you need to decide if your going to walk from it or go to plan B. If your going to walk, call them and say you've consulted the boss and she's not comfortable with buying the car as initially negotiated because market conditions had changed. You need the $500 off the purchase price or your not going to buy the car. They may talk all sorts of nonsense about your 'purchase" but if you havent signed 100% of the paperwork, tax forms etc. you havent bought anything. Tell them to rip the unsigned final contract up and to just refund your cash. If they play hardball tell them that's fine you wont be in your calling your credit card company to dispute any charges. (wait to see if they charge and dispute...but I bet they wont).

Plan B if you really want the car. Tell them you talked to your wife, she wants to walk on the deal you want to buy the car. (hey your the good guy here....trying to work with them..--give them that impression anyway. If your not married, you have a wife now--your basically playing the same roll they do when they tell you the GM wont approve the deal.). Tell them to give you $300 off the purchase price. Note to them that they are $200 better than yesterday and thats the best you can do. If they talk nonsense...resort back to plan A.

Bottom line is that you probably have your color and are ready to go, but you want to feel reasonably good about the deal. IMO working with them a little on it isn't the end of the world. In reality they'll probably toss the full $500 to the consumer, but it's a bit presumtious to completely assume thats how it would work out for everyone.

They may say that you did the deal yesterday, therefore the incentive doesn't apply. This isn't true unless you signed EVERYTHING AND they SUBMITTED Everything to Sec State, etc. They didn't do this, so the deal didn't occur yesterday. In fact, if you went in today, you know darn well it would have todays date on it...hence they get todays new incentive.

Try to be the "good guy" in the discussions and don't go in with fists swinging or your not going to get what you want.

Also, make sure they dont say YES and then ADD +$635 destination or some insane Doc Fee.

Good Luck
  • Options
    nats76nats76 Member Posts: 4
    that's a good price. i'm assuming that is w/ VA taxes? maryland taxes are 5% vs. i believe 3% for va.

that's still better than the quotes i was getting a week ago before they added $500 to the incentive.

out of curiosity, what dealer gave you that quote?
  • Options
    thank you. Great advice. We've signed nothing other then a credit app. (not the low rate just financing for about a month until we plan to pay off loan). Gave credit card over the phone for deposit.
  • Options
    egkoregkor Member Posts: 24
    Thanks donkeypunch1 !!!

Hats off to you, you are helping many people get great deals on their Odysseys!

-Gary K
  • Options
    hondaody2hondaody2 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, VA taxes. I have renegotiated with them because of the extra 500 from Honda, and they agreed to come down 250. I felt that was fair. Now my price is $26,365 OTD.

I'm going tomorrow a.m. to buy the Ody. I'm sorry to be superstitious, but I want to wait to post the name of the dealership until my deal is sealed-- just in case something goes horribly wrong. I promise I'll post tomorrow when the ody is in my driveway and I'm worry-free. AND then I'll be able to give a review of the experience at the dealership, too.

I'm very excited, and so thankful to donkeypunch1 and all the other knowledgeable posters. A couple of hours of research on these boards may have saved me thousands!!
  • Options
    dh2427dh2427 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Kentucky and have received quotes from Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, & Kentucky. So far the best quote I have is $23,950 plus tax, title... I received this quote about 2 weeks ago. If the $500 increase in the incentive is true I hope to have a quote around $24,450.

Most dealerships have offered to match any quote I receive. Hope this helps!! My best advice is to be very patient!! The longer I have put this off, the better the pricing has become. I have been looking for over a month!!

DH2427
  • Options
    matt1996matt1996 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all the posters. It greatly helped me negotiate the best deal. Here is my contribution to pay it forward...

Just took delivery of a 2007 Silver/gray interior Touring with RES and Nav for $34,200 out the door in Northern VA. Here is the breakdown.

Price: $32,161
    Freight: $595 ($635 was crossed out)
    VA tax: $993
    Dealer bus. tax: $33
    Process. fee: $349
    Tags/title: $68

Came with splash guards, wheel locks and a really cool pinstripe that has a small honda logo tastefully incorporated into it on the front quarter panel.

No trade in and paid cash. No extended warranty (it's a Honda!).

$34,200 OTD. My neighbor paid $42K for same car TWO YEARS AGO!

If you are on the fence I highly encourage you to jump in now. I follow the car market pretty closely and there is a perfect storm in the minivan market right now that benefits buyers:

1. Housing/credit crunch drying up home equity to use for car purchases
    2. Perception that broader economy might be pulling back
    3. Gas prices discouraging large car purchases
    4. Minivan market falling out of favor to the expanding crossover market
    5. Over production of Odysseys in '07 in comparison to market demand
    6. It's the end of the year

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to all buyers.