Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    donkeypunch1donkeypunch1 Member Posts: 119
    28,800 OTD on EXL RES/NAV
    "Such posts illustrate the inherent problem with merely giving an OTD price - they are pretty meaningless without details"
    LOL...agreed.
    Where's Paul Harvey when we need him with "The Rest of the Story"
    A. Brother Inlaw owns a dealership in Portland with Zero Tax and owed him one.
    B. Got 18K on a trade that was undervalued by 3K
    C. OTD in their mind means Base Price, add Dest + TTL
    D. In additon to B paid 8.5% APR with 800 Credit Score and it was a demo with 6000 miles on it.
    E. All of the above

Alright, I'm just being a wise @(#$+!, but 28,800 OTD for an EXL RES/NAV definitely sounds too good to be true without some other factors coming into play. Though, I'd love to be proven wrong. ;)
  • Options
    dilvaladilvala Member Posts: 13
    Well finally pulled the trigger

2007 EX-L Res & Navi

final prices as follows

Base with Destination $28,635.00
    Doc fee $499.00
    Tag/Title $22.00
    GA (7% tax) $2040.00

Grand total (my version of OTD) = $31,196.00

i know i left a maybe a few hundred dollars on the table, but the buying experience was just plain AWESOME. The car was bought at Nalley Honda in Union City, GA. Compared a lot of Atlanta dealers. They were all close to the price +/- $200 - $500. If you need more info send me a email dilvala @gmail.com
  • Options
    letsrip83letsrip83 Member Posts: 12
    I've been finding it interesting that several individuals have reported quotes/purchases for what appears to be below dealer's cost (taking into account incentives and holdbacks). I'm located in Vancouver, WA and looking to get an EX-L, no options (No RES/NAV). The best price I found after getting about 10 internet quotes was $26,453 (inc. destination), plus purchase of mud guards for $188, TTL, and $50 doc fee. According to the breakdown by Consumer Reports, this would mean the dealer is making about $700:

Invoice: $28,159
    Destination Charge: +$635
    Dealer Incentive: -($2,000)
    Dealer Holdback: -($933)
    Dealer Net Price: = $25,861

Anyone aware of additional incentives, or regional discounts? Maybe the destination charge is significantly less on the east coast? Prices below $26k for an equivalently equipped EX-L just stump me -- maybe I need to move to Virginia ;) . Oh yeah, and I get stuck with 8.5% tax for the privilege of living in Washington state :( .
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I picked up an 07 Ody Touring with RES and Nav last night. It has mud flaps and wheel locks installed. Here's the deal:

Price: $33,000
    Tax: $ 998
    Doc fee:$ 299
    Tags/Lic:$ 53
    Total:$ $34,300

The dealer located my exact colors and brought the van in from another state. I traded a 2006 Ody Touring Res/Nav with 35.5k miles, bald PAX tires, and broken fog light for $26,500. It needed a detailing bad (and probably new floor mats). I got decent financing too: 60 months @ 5.24%.

The deal was smooth, fast, and no BS high-pressure tactics. I'd definitely use West Broad Honda in Richmond, VA again.
  • Options
    sraosrao Member Posts: 1
    The only problem in moving to VA for buying a car - You endup paying tax on it every year on the value. Your best bet is DE.
  • Options
    craigontheboatcraigontheboat Member Posts: 5
    Where did you get your financing? Through Honda? We are in the market for a Touring with navigation 07. I e-mailed several dealerships and I am willing to pay 33,500. One dealership refused to come down to that amount. They are sticking to 34,800. I did find a dealership in TN which is 8 hours away that will sell me one for 33,500 plus tax and title, but I figured someone more close to me would do the same??? I am in OHIO
  • Options
    My price of $33k wasn't the greatest deal in the world. What makes it pretty good is that they didn't kill me on my trade in and they got me exactly the van I wanted (and went to another state to do so). I financed with some local mom and pop bank that the dealer used. They beat my credit union rate by .01% and it made the dealer happy, so I didn't care who got my check each month.

You should have no problem getting a TN/R for $33.5. The dealer I bought from, West Broad Honda had one white TNR left. You might want to try calling them (they come up google). Good luck!
  • Options
    siggie1siggie1 Member Posts: 56
    Since we can't seem to get invoice pricing yet for the 2008 Odyssey, I've done a little math to try and get ballpark figures. This is based on the markup of the 2007 Odyssey. It appears for 2007 that Honda's invoice pricing is consistently 90.5% of MSRP. Using that figure the invoice pricing for 2008 would be:

Touring MSRP: $40010 Invoice: $36216
    EX-L R&N MSRP: $35810 Invoice: $32420
    EX-L RES MSRP: $33810 Invoice: $30614
    EX-L MSRP: $32210 Invoice: $29169

These figures do not include the destination charge.

Again, these are not actual figures from Honda. They may, or may not, be correct.
  • Options
    gujaratigujarati Member Posts: 10
    Pricing & Trim Options
    LX Passenger Van
    Options EX Passenger Van
    Options EX-L Passenger Van
    Options Touring w/DVD RES/Nav Passenger Van
    Options
    Base Retail Price $25,860 $28,960 $32,210 $40,010
    Base Invoice Price $23,427 $26,229 $29,166 $36,214
    Destination Charge $635 $635 $635 $635
    Free Price Quotes Free Price Quotes Free Price Quotes Free Price Quotes
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    What stores have you been getting prices from in Ohio? Historically, it's as competitive here as anywhere. If the $2000 incentive is still on, it should be easy to be south of 33K.
  • Options
    tampahondatampahonda Member Posts: 31
    The Touring invoice is $35,388. If you subtract the $2000 factory to dealer rebate (if its still available for Nov), as well as the 2% Holdback ( $795), then dealer cost for the vehicle is $32,593. So, the closest you can come to that number is the closest to their cost...I bought my Touring w/ R&N on 09/30 for $32,683 (includes destination charge), which I think is fantastic! Good Luck!
  • Options
    07touring07touring Member Posts: 13
    Just wanted to follow up here. I posted a few times on the forum and used several of the quotes and suggestions on the forum. Ended up not going with the Odyssey, which was where the wife and I thought we were going with at first. Came down to overall value and Honda losing the deal with PAX tires on the 07 touring and not offering RES only on the 08s without the NAV. Sienna loses on the exterior appeal but in our view loses by a long ways in the interior and noise level while driving. Sienna just feels more solid inside. Dashboard tied together much nicer. We aren't huge car enthusiast so the handling didn't sway us largely one way, though the Odyssey I'd rate slightly better.

I will post the quotes I got though on the Odyssey's.

Best prices I had were $32,199 on 07 Touring w/RES all costs in except Tax, Title and License.

Best prices on EX-L w/RES was $28,404 all costs in except Tax, Title and License.

Surprising they wouldn't budge off those prices despite having a pretty good inventory and 08s back on the lot. I would have done a deal for the EXL if they took another 1k off or so and offered reasonable financing which is what sounded like was possible through some other posts. They were giving me 5-6%ish. I don't know if they thought I was bluffing or what but we walked out the door and headed to Toyota to take what I felt was the better deal.

We essentially ended up with an XLE Sienna, equipped most similar to the Touring, but an 08 version for $31,994 OTD and landed 0% financing from Toyota for 24 months, could have got 1.9% for 36 (on up). Only bummer on the Toyota deal is they wouldn't give me wanted on trade in for a 96 blazer in good condition, so I'll be selling local and hopefully getting better deal anyway.

Thanks for the help on the Forum here. See my post on the Sienna thread if you want to see more details on our purchase.
  • Options
    tsteele93tsteele93 Member Posts: 18
    >Doc fee $499.00

Well, I've decided on a career change. I want to be the person who processes documents at a car dealer.

Here's how I figure it - if the dealer sells only 10 cars a week, I'm making $5k per week. I can live on that.

Before you criticize me, I just want to say that seems every bit as reasonable as CHARGING $499 for a doc fee.

They could at least be honest about it. Call it a "fee we throw in at the last minute after you have put a lot of effort into negotiating a deal that is pure profit for us."
  • Options
    >Since we can't seem to get invoice pricing yet for the 2008 Odyssey

Invoice pricing came out Nov 1st.

LX
    Base MSRP: $25,860.00
    Engine/Fuel:6 Cyl 3.5L/212 Gas
    Base Invoice: $23,427.98
    Transmission:5 Speed Automatic
    Destination: $635.00
    Door/Body Style:4 door Mini/Passenger VanManufacturer Code: RL3828EWDrive Type:FWD

EX
    Base MSRP: $28,960.00
    Base Invoice: $26,229.24
    Door/Body Style:4 door Mini/Passenger VanManufacturer Code: RL3848EWDrive Type:FWD

EX-L
    Base MSRP: $32,210.00
    Base Invoice: $29,166.05
    Door/Body Style:4 door Mini/Passenger VanManufacturer Code: RL3868JWDrive Type:FWD

EX-L w/RES
    Base MSRP: $33,810.00
    Base Invoice: $30,611.86
    Door/Body Style:4 door Mini/Passenger VanManufacturer Code: RL3878JWDrive Type:FWD

EX-L w/RES and NAV
    Base MSRP: $35,810.00
    Base Invoice: $32,419.13
    Door/Body Style:4 door Mini/Passenger VanManufacturer Code: RL3878KWDrive Type:FWD

Touring non PAX
    Base MSRP: $40,010.00
    Base Invoice: $36,214.39
    Door/Body Style:4 door Mini/Passenger VanManufacturer Code: RL3898KWDrive Type:FWD

Touring w/PAX
    Base MSRP: $40,610.00
    Base Invoice: $36,756.57
    Door/Body Style:4 door Mini/Passenger VanManufacturer Code: RL3888KWDrive Type:FWD

http://www.vehix.com/research/vehicleSpecificationsVehicleDetails.aspx?year=2008- - - &make=16000000000015&model=Odyssey
  • Options
    >The Touring invoice is $35,388. If you subtract the $2000 factory to dealer rebate (if its still available for Nov), as well as the 2% Holdback ( $795), then dealer cost for the vehicle is $32,593. So, the closest you can come to that number is the closest to their cost...

I have a source that says holdback is 3 1/2 % He has usually been right for me in the past. Whether that is correct or not, you can almost always count on the dealer having some money in the deal that you don't know about. It is part of the game. You feel good about paying invoice, they make money - everyone is happy.
  • Options
    dreamcar5dreamcar5 Member Posts: 69
    I just hope you pay a lot attention on your kids. The sliding door of Sienna IS NOT sensitive. My boy was injured when he played the door button. Also, the front passenge seat can not be flatted out.

This is why I dislike Sienna as I expressed my very sincere concern on this sliding door issue in the past. No improvement and no thanks. :mad:
  • Options
    07touring07touring Member Posts: 13
    They may have improved that on the 08s or something then. We tested that multiple times, both the sliding doors and hatch seem sensitive to me.

As for the folding front passenger...I guess you can't get everything. Overall, Sienna option packages were better.
  • Options
    Another disadvantage in VA is that they charge sales tax on the whole price of the car, not just the trade difference.
  • Options
    tmg4p00tmg4p00 Member Posts: 12
    Another disadvantage in VA is that they charge sales tax on the whole price of the car, not just the trade difference

I don't think that is correct. I didn't trade in, so I can't be sure. But when I got my car appraised at Carmax in Virginia, and took a few cars for a test drive while waiting, that was one of their selling points. That you only pay tax on the difference between sale price and trade in value. I don't think Carmax could do it if it wasn't allowed.
  • Options
    kking74kking74 Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell me what dealer you purchased from?
  • Options
    Either they were mistaken or were running some sort of dealer-funded special. You absolutely pay 3% sales tax on the selling price of a new car in VA--not on the trade difference. If there is some exception when buying a used car, I'd be very surprised as well.

When I sold my BMW to a private party two months ago, the DMV charged him 3% sales tax on it. I asked the DMV rep about sales taxes and she went so far as to tell me that even when buying out of state and moving a car into VA, you will be required to pay sales tax if you try to register it in VA within one year of purchase (although some states have reciprocal agreements).

VA is one of the few states that does this, but then its sales tax rate on new cars is less than half that of most states.
  • Options
    piyush51piyush51 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone in Northern NJ , NY city area buying "Honda Odyssey 2007 EXL"? I want to compare price.
  • Options
    a101660a101660 Member Posts: 4
    Bankston Honda - worked w/ Justin Hamaker.
  • Options
    marisolita7marisolita7 Member Posts: 3
    Could you provide the details? I am looking for the same deal! Thanks!
  • Options
    mohansbmohansb Member Posts: 4
    Can you please tell me who the dealer is in Bay Area from where you got this deal Also did you get any financing options.

Thanks
  • Options
    elenkelenk Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a 2007 Odyssey EXL/RES in Maryland for an OTD (out the door including ttl) price of $28,796.50. If anyone is interested where and with what options, I am willing to share. Extremely easy process (followed Donkey Punch's approach).

Great Buying experience!
  • Options
    piyush51piyush51 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Elenk,

I would like to know more on your deal. How did you start and proceed to this great deal? I'm in NJ/NY area

-PP
  • Options
    Around post 1349 on this forum, there is a post from a guy by the name of Donkeypunch. He goes into great detail about how to negotiate online and never show up at the dealership until you have your rock bottom price. It worked extremely well. I would imagine that there is one or two dealerships in your area that make their money on volume and they can offer the best deal to you. The dealership I worked with had 50+ of this model that they have to let go. Let me know if you want more help.
  • Options
    ray135ray135 Member Posts: 3
    Hi elenk, I live in MD and looking to buy Odyssey over this week. Can you please let me know what are the options and where and who was your dealer.
    Thanks
  • Options
    The dealer is Herson Honda in Rockville, MD. The cool thing about this place is that they don't stick all the crap on the car until you tell them what you want. They threw in fender and door guards that match the paint of the vehicle (look nicer than the cheap black ones), Honda splash guards, and wheel locks. I told them to forget the pin stripes. I did not really know what options I wanted until I was onsite (mistake on my part - but not sure if it would have mattered). The only two other things I would have wanted would have been the roof rack crossbars and the cargo net.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ray135ray135 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for quick reply. May i know the salesperson with whom you negotiated.
  • Options
    Sure, send me an email at minivan01@gmail.com and I'll give you that information. The red lettering on my screen does not want the sales person information posted on the forum.
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Break down that deal?

(Price of the vehicle, destination, processing)...

Not to rub it in, but I can buy in Maryland but pay less in taxes, as a Virginian...so that OTD number doesn't tell me much.
  • Options
    Vehicle - $26,495.00

Destination Charge - $595.00
    Processing fee - $100.00

Tax 5% - $1,359.50
    Tags - $247.00
    -------------------------------
    Total - $28,796.50
  • Options
    mfletou,

If I were concerned about you getting a better deal ("Not to rub it in") than myself, I would not have posted this information for you all to see. I thought I got useful information on this forum so I decided to add what I can to help others.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Looks like you got a very good deal. Fitting an EX-L into our budget is tough, so I think we'll probably opt against the RES even though it would be nice.

On the plain old EX-L, right now I've got Hersons about $100 over Sport, but based on your numbers, I think they'll move down some since the RES is about a $1500 option.
  • Options
    mfletou1,

I don't believe their is an exact formula for this but I would imagine that their inventory of the particular model your looking for plays a part in this also. If they have a lot EX_L models then there is probably room for them to move. If not, then maybe your at their lowest price. I only know that I was talking about getting an EXL/RES/NAV and they wanted $2300 more which seemed way too high for my liking. The salesman said they only had a few of them left so they wouldn't negotiate as much on them.

Good Luck with it!
  • Options
    go2sailinggo2sailing Member Posts: 8
    I finally pulled the trigger and brought EX-L (no DVD, no NAV) on Saturday from Beaverton Honda (26959 base price + 141 spash guard + 218 DMV fee = 27318 OTD). I read through this forum for a while and the information here is very helpful. Here is summary of my experience:

I started shopping around minivan by testing drive Sienna LE AWD, however, the flooded bad comments about run-flat-tire scared me away AWD. The Sienna's LE model interior looks cheap, and the console arrangement is not attractive to me either.

So, I went to Beaverton Honda and looked Odyssey. For the same reason around the tire, I opt out Touring model easily and focused on EX-L model. The integration of of NAV system and the car is fancy, but I don't think it will be very useful for my daily commute driving, so I opted out NAV. The Honda rear entertainment system cost around $1400 more. I don't have confidence a DVD machine can last 10+ year like a car mechanical part, and I am afraid the technology will evolve as time runs. I did research on aftermarket DVD system, that cost ranges from $300-$1000 installed in Fry's or Circuit city. So, I finally end up lock on EX-L no DVD no NAV model.

I sent quote query by visiting individual dealer's website. The Capital Honda gives the lowest quote $26759 + $141 + $218 promptly. But they don't have color I like and will require $500 deposit if I want locate a car. In Beaverton Honda, the sale guy Justin is super patient, no push, and is very helpful. I test drove around 5 individual EX-Ls, although they are exact make, exact same engine, but the driving experience, especially noisy level have difference. Some are quieter and smoother than others. Maybe it is because the mechanical tightness and will end up the similar after several thousands of miles, I don't want to bet.

Beaverton Honda still has quite bit of 07 Odyssey inventory. 08 model already started showing. From outside, 08 model has different shape of wheel, different shape of back light, and has a mesh cover underneath the front bumper to protect the radiator. I am surprised 07 model does not have the mesh cover, anyway I assume it should not be a big deal since this line has been out from 05, if it was a big problem, it should already be fixed earlier. I don't know how big difference of the new version variable cylinder engine will make, anyway I went with the way to save bit money now.
  • Options
    Did the $27,318 OTD price include tax?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,224
    No sales tax in Oregon!! :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I'd be smiling too!
  • Options
    lethbridgelethbridge Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for posting and helping me with my Odyssey purchase. All of the information provided through Edmunds & the forums make the initial price fairly cut and dry.

I did have difficulty trading in a 2000 Windstar with 145K miles on it. The car ran very well, but I was beginning to fear the air was going on it, and it took $1,000 to fix it the last time.

Here were my final numbers:

Selling Price: $27,699.31
    (Trade in) $1043.00
    Electronic Tag 24.00
    Tire & Battery Waste 6.50
    Tag & Title 81.85
    Tax 1651.51
    OTD 28,420.17

I did have a couple of better offers from dealers that were further way, but they did not have the Nimbus Gray color that we really wanted. In the end, I was happy to get the color we wanted most.

Best of luck to all. Got a 6.99% finance rate. We'll be sending in a check to payoff at the end of the month once the cash is available, but I didn't think that was a bad rate.

Best of luck to everyone! We are not regretting our purchase after 6days... hopefully we can say the same for years to come!
  • Options
    chuckylrchuckylr Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2008 EX. Really like 2008 model's active head protection and mp3 input. So far I am getting quote $1000 above invoice. Anyone got better deal?
  • Options
    myoldriflesmyoldrifles Member Posts: 15
    HI!
    Can't find the post from Donkeypunch1. Can you email me the text of the posting? I can't find it. my address is cdecrist at yahoo.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    letsrip83letsrip83 Member Posts: 12
    Made the purchase this past Saturday in Vancouver, WA for a 2007 EX-L no RES/NAV from Hannah Honda. I worked with the fleet dept., as I was introduced to them via the Costco auto purchase program. Nice experience, no pressure.

I was initially given a Costco no-haggle price of $27,293 (incl. destination), or $1,500 under invoice. I did some internet price quote shopping, got a better quote, and they dropped the price to $26,753 (incl. destination). Additional fees were $96 lic/title, $50 doc, and sales tax. Oh yeah, I had to pay an additional $150 for those four small pieces of plastic they call 'mud guards', since they were already installed (the only accessories I purchased).
  • Options
    TuTu Member Posts: 56
    Hendrick's Honda in VA offered $28400 OTD for an 07 RES but I'm still waiting.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,224
    myoldrifles.. the link is here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tileguytileguy Member Posts: 3
    Donkey,

Great car buying advise on 16303! Is the 2K dealer incentive you mention in step 3 still on? Per Honda website, it looks like they got rid of the program and they are only offering finance incentives now, 2.9 or 4.9 APR, until end of Nov. Can you confirm? Are their any other programs to leverage in the buying process to be aware of? Does Honda or dealers give any extra incentives at year end which would pay to wait? If not, the financing is better than my bank and will use it before it goes away at month's end. I'm looking to get a fair price on an EX-L RES NAV in Northern NJ. Any thoughts on what that might be? Edmond's TMV says $30,852. Sound right to you?
  • Options
    donkeypunch1donkeypunch1 Member Posts: 119
    Tile, Yes, the $2K cash to dealer incentive is still on. Note that Honda will not give the dealer $2k to play with on negotiation AND the 2.9/4.9 APR. Generally, your best bet is to forgo the financing in leiu of the $2k incentive. I don't know what your banks offering in terms of financing, but check eloan dot com and capitalone dot com. I think you should be able to get around 6%. Costco has a capital one deal if your a member, check their website. I haven't gotten a pulse lately, but I think your target price on a EXL RES NAV is probably more like 28,500 /29,000 including destination. If you dig back page by page I think there were a number of folks talking about NJ purchases over the last 2 months. Your probably better off acting this month as opposed to waiting too long. More likely to lose color/option choices than to really save much. The numbers now are generally rock bottom as far as odyssey's go. If you want an 08, I can't help you much there. I don't think the 2K incentive applies on the 08's, maybe someone knows. You can always request identical quotes for 07 and 08 models to see your difference. Good Luck.
  • Options
    That sounds like a fairly good deal to me. Mine included 5% tax for Maryland (OTD $28,796.50) and I believe VA sales tax is 3% (so I've been told). Patience is where it's at. Make sure you know what options you want before your done negotiating. Your price is probably for a van right off the truck (meaning no options). Some cool options you might want to ask for are luggage rail cross bars, cargo net, splash guards, door and fender guards (ones that match the paint look better than the black ones IMHO). Good Luck!