Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    phatlipboardzphatlipboardz Member Posts: 30
    I have been dealing with Frontier Honda. The price on an EX is $23595 and the EX-L without RES/NAV is $26590. Both of these prices are either for purchase (my own finance) or a lease. I would say based on estimate that you aren't far from where should be as far as price is concerned for Res and Nav.

I pretty much have the same response in that they aren't moving anymore on this, unless for some crazy reason Honda kicks in more to get these things off the lot. These vans aren't moving like the Toyotas and Nissans were just a few weeks ago. Those dealers had some sick deals out there, especially on the Quest. I suppose I am still a little ill over not jumping on that Quest deal and now I'm dragging my feet.

I had a broker (friend) check out what I was given and he verified it through Schomp in Denver and they verified it to be a pretty darn good deal that I was getting (little or no money made on it). I've been exchanging emails with the salesman just to see if I can squeeze anything else out of this deal. This is a big upsize for me (car size and less fuel efficiency) so this is also part of my problem.
  • Options
    vwpassat2001vwpassat2001 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks phatlipboardz. My personal preference would be a Odyssey over a Quest, unless there is some big price difference which as you have said Quest had going some time back.

But, like I mentioned before the van I have shortlisted was received in May and has 150 miles on it. Do you think they will decrease it a little bit more based on this? The guys are not budging one bit and do not have absolutely any specials thrown in.

What other cars are you looking at
  • Options
    gap4jasongap4jason Member Posts: 54
    Can u tell me via private email who you worked with at Goudy Honda? Congratulations to you!!!

Email me at:
    jason.francisco@gmail.com
  • Options
    In regards to the 150 miles, you might be able to swing a few free oil changes or something along those lines. I am looking more along the lease option with the Ody, so the mileage wouldn't be too concerning in that arena, however if I were purchasing it I would try and push it a little.

If you want to try and deal with Frontier Honda in Longmont (don't know where you are in proximity), but I believe they have a couple EX-Ls with just Res and some with Res/Nav. Also, they are still receiving 08s from Alabama. They had just delivered one last week. I can give you the name of the guy I have been working with.

As far as other vehicles I have researched... I was set on a Mazda 5 but it didn't have electronic stability control. I know that might not be at the top of everyone's list but not only have I watched the videos of that on you tube but I actually had some real world experience going 70 mph on I-70 and avoided a tailspin/flip when someone pulled right out in front of me.

I have looked at a couple SUV's (CX-9, Santa Fe, Pilot), but it sure is nice having sliding doors (automatic) and the captains chairs so my kids don't have to climb over anything to get to the 3rd row.

The Quest that I almost jumped on was the SL, which seemed comparable to the EX-L, but the problem was that I hadn't test driven it, there weren't any on the lot (they could have gotten one), and I had to make the decision right there as it was the last day of the sale. I was quoted ~20,000 plus TTL. I basically had $10,500 off any 2008 on the lot or that was in proximity. DANG!!!!!!

I believe I am going to jump on this Honda deal as I really can't find anything else comparable right now. Of course who knows in a month or two, which I could wait for if I have to.
  • Options
    fromsuv2vanfromsuv2van Member Posts: 15
    Thank Sqinla,

Did Goudy quoted (via internet) you the low price right away or you had to further negotiate to arrive at your price? Please email the name of the salesperson or the finance manager that you dealt with at Goudy to my private email: emg.bobjaune@yahoo.com

Also, what did Galpin does that lost your trust? I will talk to them also (due to the convenience of proximity). Thanks.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    If a manufacturer's promotion involves a "rebate," "customer cash," or the like, the buyer must pay sales tax on that amount. Example: car sells for $20,000 less $2000 rebate - tax is due on $20,000.

However, if the promotion is (like Honda's current one) a "dealer incentive," the result is different and the buyer does not pay tax on it because the money is flowing directly to the dealer, not the consumer.
  • Options
    vwpassat2001vwpassat2001 Member Posts: 12
    I would definitely like to to know whom you were in touch with in Frontier Honda. Fisher Honda at least did some talking..Go Honda guy gave me a price and was not ready to lower it even by a couple of hundreds. Very rude and dismissive in the way he reacted.
  • Options
    alpha_alphaalpha_alpha Member Posts: 2
    Just want to tell. Today finally purchased Honda EX-L Odyssey with RES. for 27.2K + doc(250)+title(25.5)+tax. CLEVELAND, OH

You should get below $27.5K for sure. Try to send some email to the dealers.
    I got a quote from Virginia for 26.5K but I dont want to drive 400 to 500 miles from my place to pickup.

I got offers from 27.00K to 29.5K for the same equipment.

Good luck. Send me email if you have any questions..
  • Options
    pacarspacars Member Posts: 3
    I found a rare 2008 executive demo, loaded, with 6500 miles. I'm trying to score an aggressive offer, as follows:

MSRP: 35,810

INVOICE: 32,419
    Less Incentive: 3,500
    Less milage (.15/mile): 975
    Less Demo Depreciation (it's a "used" car): 3,000
    My Offer: 24,944 +tax/fees

What do you think about my logic? It's loaded, but has 6,500 miles, so it's hardly a new car. Any feedback would be great!
  • Options
    alpha_alphaalpha_alpha Member Posts: 2
    One best thing I did this time, keeping reply by email. Once you get final #, then make a call or request them to call.

This forum really help me how to handle sales man

.....Also, we have to do our research....
  • Options
    If you'd like, just send me an email from my profile and I'll send you his info (email and phone).

I exchanged a few emails with Go Honda, but they aren't budging on their prices. Funny thing is that I went through Edmunds, vehix, and cars direct with direct quotes from Mazda, Nissan, Toyota and I just happened to drive past Frontier and on a whim just stopped in. I basically just test drove an Ody, handed him my card, and just said email me what you offering on an EX and EX-L. Quite frankly, they came back with the bottom line price out of the gates. They aren't budging anymore right now, but they are the lowest (from what I received back from other dealers).

I just need to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    slowcarslowcar Member Posts: 66
    I just received a Recall Notice from Honda asking me to contact the dealer to have the Audio Unit replaced. Any one heard of this? What exactly do they replace? The whole CD/Radio thing? And they said be prepared to leave the vehicle there for 4 hrs ... so it's not that really a small job, right?

Comment?
  • Options
    rockstar7rockstar7 Member Posts: 5
    Is the recall notice for 2008 Honda Odessey? Please provide more details.
  • Options
    usairusair Member Posts: 23
    After calling various dealers, it seems the price for EX is 22,500 + dest, TTL, doc .anyone doing better than this? seems there is a huge inventory, I think by thanksgiving u looking at more discounts.
  • Options
    slowcarslowcar Member Posts: 66
    Yes for my '08 Ody but I guessed it applies for other years too ... called dealer this afternoon with the VIN and they confirmed it is a Service Bulletin, not a Recall; i.e. not safety related. Anyway, it's too early and they don't have part for it and they have no idea what to replace so they asked me to call back in few weeks.
  • Options
    bao1bao1 Member Posts: 55
    In Illinois, because the dealer is getting $3500 directly from Honda and they are passing it on to the buyer, the buyer is taxed on that $3500. I was surprised when I found this out from the dealer but I read the docs and that's how it works in IL.
  • Options
    myogimyogi Member Posts: 2
    that sounds like a good price. i am in md and am looking to buy a 2008 ex-l. do you mind sharing with me the dealer info? thx!
  • Options
    toasttertoastter Member Posts: 1
    I worked with Gentile just a few days ago and they seemed very eager to let me move however fast I wanted. They explained all the details of the situation and showed me all of the features before I even decided to purchase. In fact, they also let me know of some programs that they have that can help me if I lose my keys, which I just did last winter when my 4 year old was running around the house with them. I ended up saving a ton of money on interest and got the best quote on my trade in with them. ;)
  • Options
    bagrol1bagrol1 Member Posts: 8
    Great!!! What kind of deal were you able to negotiate?
  • Options
    brianmcgannbrianmcgann Member Posts: 8
    Hi all, I'm in Central Jersey and my wife & I are looking at minivans. I really don't have a preference between a Sienna or an Odyssey--I'll take either one, just want the best deal. I don't need DVD or GPS. The main feature that we really want/need is the power sliding doors. Any thoughts as to who is offering a better deal, Toyota or Honda on an '08 at this point? Also, we have a baby due in November so I'd like to get the car by then, but if I can save substantially on an '08 by waiting until December I would do that. Any thoughts on if it makes sense to wait another couple of months to get a better deal? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    apollo08apollo08 Member Posts: 1
    I just took the plunge and purchased a 2008 Honda EX-L. Price paid was $25,015, with tax and license $27,380 OTD.

Car had 230 miles on it, apparently there were a few dealer trades going on--the car was originally delivered to San Clemente. Got the car at Spreen Honda in San Bernadino. Sales people were Richard and Troy--father and son team--they were very helpful and pleasant and honest. I'd like do to business with them in the future.

Previously I tried to deal with Spirit Honda in El Monte. They tried the old bait and switch and I walked...By the way, their price was significantly higher--even before the bait and switch. I would not have minded paying a little more but the lack of honesty was a big turn off.

Good luck with your purchases.
  • Options
    ephaepha Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking for a 2008 Ody Touring NO Pax in Silver / Gray. I'm in Central Texas and there are none available. However, according to various websites there appears to be some units available in the Dallas area. I'm unable to get reliable answers through email with regards to actual availability of that model/color combo.

I'm wondering if any shoppers from that area can tell me which dealers have units in stock? Particularly dealers with multiple units in stock.
  • Options
    spankspankspankspank Member Posts: 24
    Any thoughts as to who is offering a better deal, Toyota or Honda on an '08 at this point? Also, we have a baby due in November so I'd like to get the car by then, but if I can save substantially on an '08 by waiting until December I would do that. Any thoughts on if it makes sense to wait another couple of months to get a better deal? Thanks in advance.

Toyota has low stock for this time of year. The best deal now is Odyssey because of high stock and 2009 models sitting in AL. The prices keep getting better. I'd start looking, secure your own financing (not Honda's), and start low. Get email quotes online, explain in advance that you are aware of the $3500 incentive. My goal price right now on a plain EX-L would be below $26200. Find an "old" 2008 with an MSRP $32845 including the old dest charge. My logic being, that EX-L has been sitting there for some time and will move easier.
  • Options
    welcomeusawelcomeusa Member Posts: 2
    We are looking to purchase a Honda Odyssey EX-L (All standard features but no DVD) this month and the lowest quote that we got was for $25,340 with $3500 Dealer Cash. The same with .9% financing is around $27,367. Do you think this is a good deal? Can I get the dealers to lower it further?

I thought .9% financing (Honda) would be a good option. But, some messages here are saying not to go with Honda and to get a better deal? Is there someplace where I will get a better deal than the .9% APR that Honda is offering?

Thanks!
  • Options
    welcomeusawelcomeusa Member Posts: 2
    To add to the above post of mine.........
    The $25,340 or $27,367 (Finance option) includes the dealer destination charges of $670 but not the sales tax, registration and conveyance of $299.

Thanks!
  • Options
    southernhivesouthernhive Member Posts: 15
    Odyssey EX-L basic, I am sitting on a price of $26,866 OTD cash. I think they will go a few hundred lower to about $26,100 by end of month provided the stock is still there. Last month I negotiated a price of $27,090 OTD, but felt Sept. would be a better month to buy due to the stock.
  • Options
    gaquagaqua Member Posts: 7
    southernhive...26.8K OTD is a great price (assuming it includes TTL). But... can you confirm?

Which state?
  • Options
    I have several emails with price and model from the dealer, but until I walk in and buy I cannot confirm the price. Last month I had a price of 25,800 for an EX-L from Curry Honda in Atlanta and after several emails to nail down the exact vehicle before I drove to Atlanta, the salesman pulled the price saying he quoted me the wrong model. I have not heard from him since. So, until I walk in and buy, there are no gurantees. The model I am looking at is w/out DVD and NAV which adds about about $2000 onto the price.
  • Options
    Hi
    I have been emailing different dealers within the chicagoland area for quotes on a 2008 EXL-RES model. The lowest quote I have received is $26,582 +TTL and no junk fees. Should I pull the trigger or wait? They have the color that I am looking for an it seems like that color is hard to find this late in the year.
  • Options
    mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    "Should I pull the trigger or wait? They have the color that I am looking for an it seems like that color is hard to find this late in the year."

I think you answered your own question.
  • Options
    markrrmarkrr Member Posts: 7
    I found a rare 2008 executive demo, loaded, with 6500 miles. I'm trying to score an aggressive offer, as follows:

MSRP: 35,810

INVOICE: 32,419
    Less Incentive: 3,500
    Less milage (.15/mile): 975
    Less Demo Depreciation (it's a "used" car): 3,000
    My Offer: 24,944 +tax/fees

What do you think about my logic? It's loaded, but has 6,500 miles, so it's hardly a new car. Any feedback would be great!

At this price it woudl be a great price. I just obught this car aweek ago. EX-L W/ RES and NAV for $29,000 including dest (not TT or reg or doc prep). I think this car depreciates or usage cost is aobut $250/month $3K /year. 6K miles is about 6 months so $1500. Your milege example is good. Your depreciation is high at $3K. My take is they will probably try to sell it at 27.5-28K. I woudl take it at $27K and below otehr wise just go buy a new one it is not worth it.

MY $0.02...
  • Options
    I would go to the dealers website and check the inventory for the van you are looking to buy. If there is plenty of inventory, then I would wait. To get the best price, don't get stuck on a particular color as long as it is has the features you desire. I will purchase any color other than black. If the dealers know that you prefer a particular color, they will use that against you when haggling over price.

As the previous poster said, if you are stuck on a particular color and that color is limited, then you may have answered your own question.
  • Options
    odysseydrivrodysseydrivr Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any experience with selling an Odyssey with PAX tires. I've heard that they have a lower resale value, opposed to Odyssey's with standard tires? I hope this is not true.
  • Options
    dan08dan08 Member Posts: 1
    Good morning Sqinla,

I want to buy an odyssey 08 EX-L w/dvd and nav can you please email me the name of the person you dealt with and exact price and dealership.I would really appreciate it...I want to get one this weekend for my family. Thanks again in advance. My email is: loveodyssey08@yahoo.com
  • Options
    papachinapapachina Member Posts: 1
    Could you please let me know which dealer you get the quote from? I live in Chicago north suburb. The lowest quote I got is $26,782 + TTL. Thanks.
  • Options
    I am working with the dealership in countryside. I bet you can get the price which is around 29.1K OTD (I live in Dupage county) by just asking the dealership you are currently working with.
  • Options
    smarinersmariner Member Posts: 14
    For the 2008 Odysseys, I got a quote of $3000 under invoice from Bellevue Honda (on the phone); $3500 under invoice from Kirkland Honda – both the quotes were over the phone; so, I’m not sure if that was a gimmick to get me in. Anyone got better deals in the Seattle area? Ideally, I'm looking at getting the LX or EX for $4000 less than the internet-invoice price.
  • Options
    What's the best time to buy a 2008 Odyssey (in terms of getting the best price)? I will need the vehicle only after abt 3 months -- should I wait for some more time or should I buy one now? I don't really care a lot about the color.
  • Options
    coachkos33coachkos33 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an Odyssey EXL from Hendrick last night (Sept. 13, 2008)! I've been getting quotes on-line for months from dealers in Maryland and Northern, VA. We were quoted $26,452 OTD in an e-mail. I was dealing with several other Honda dealers in Northern Virginia. Landmark of Alexandria called me non-stop and seemed to be high pressure. On the same day we received the Hendrick quote, Landmark quoted me 28,125 OTD in an e-mail. But when they called me (a minute later, seriuosly), they said they would match Hendrick's price and maybe even beat it. We decided to go to Hendrick b/c they gave us the lowest quote from the get go and appeared very trustworthy. Plus, we've been watching the prices for months and took the recommendation from the posts here that Hendrick Honda had a great reputation for no hassles deals and customer service. Hendrick over any others boasts that they don't play games and there are not gimmicks. They were true to their word. We felt very comfortable and had our best car buying experience. We may have saved a few hundred $$ elsewhere (maybe) but did not want to deal with the sharks at other dealers b/c they always find a way to win. We had an old car to trade-in and got minimal value, but the total deal was worth it. Plus, we took delivery at night in the rain and did not notice a small ding. We called up our salesman on his cell and he was committed to getting it right. We're very happy!
  • Options
    coachkos33coachkos33 Member Posts: 4
    We've been waiting for months and just purchased last night for an Odyssey EXL for $26,452 OTD. I've been tracking this for months, but we only wanted a black one. We saved $1800 over an OTD quote in July and probably $1000 from an August quote when financing was better. I would go on autotrader.com and just keep tracking inventory of Odysseys in your area. Dealers with more on their lot, may give you more off but you'll have to play the game. The dealers who have less are treating people right and giving low offers to start. I would keep tracking it and look to make a move on the last day of this month or even wait into October. I would have waited a few more weeks but we really wanted one in black and did not want to lose out. I saw some used 2008's on-line much higher than what the dealer will give you new right now. You have time, but keep checking b/c people are buying Hondas. Other brands are hurting, but every Honda we visited had plenty of people in it. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    guarigliaguariglia Member Posts: 3
    Coachkos33 - Can you send me the name of your salesperson - I think I just might pick one up at those prices now. (gzimmer2@gmail.com) Thanks, and congrats on your purchase
  • Options
    chode96chode96 Member Posts: 8
    We pulled the trigger yesterday. After 2 months of compiling quotes, and re-compiling new quotes after the incentives went up we made the following deal.

24,950 + TT&L

We were out the door for 26,700. We were not utilizing the special financing. This car did include the Pro-Packs and other dealer adds.

The Dealer asked that we not advertise this deal, as they lost money on the deal (probably a lie). I will say this, Freeman Honda gave us a quote of 25,500 for an in stock vehicle, and two sister dealers (hint) offered specials over the weekend saying they would beat your best written offer by 550 - 599.

We followed the "Donkey Punch" method of compiling quotes, and played the waiting game.
  • Options
    We pulled the trigger yesterday. After 2 months of compiling quotes, and re-compiling new quotes after the incentives went up we made the following deal.

24,950 + TT&L

Wow -- you saved close to $4200 on the internet-invoice price of EX-L (i.e., $7260 or 22.5% on the MSRP). That's a great deal! Congratulations!
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Why not require both to email you the Out-the-door quote with detalied breakdown and model/trim. This will avoid further surprise when you arrive the dealership.

Better yet, try get one signed by the sales manager from fax or scan to email. This will avoid the excuse of "Oh! The salesman made a mistake and I won't honor this deal!" I know this is a JOKE. I mean how can they make this mistake when their jobs are doing the same thing daily.
  • Options
    trishaetrishae Member Posts: 8
    We are definitely looking at getting the EX-L this month. Here's my dilemma - quite a few dealers in the area have the color combo I want, so should I go in during the last couple days of the month or gamble and see what Oct brings? Any word on when we'll hear about Oct incentives, if any??
  • Options
    hot2004hot2004 Member Posts: 26
    Will you please provide us the breakup (price of car with Dest, Doc fee, TTL and any additional accessory charge) of the cost. Asking because OTD varies by state due to tax % and other charges, like NJ DMV charges 4 years registration.
  • Options
    Same boat here my friend. The deals are pretty good, but I feel that they could be better. I am interested to see if they might have something in the middle of the month. I have had the dealers sending out another round of emails this weekend. I am sure closer to the end of the month it could be good and maybe better into October, but I don't want to miss out like I did on those Nissan offers. I didn't know about it until the last day and there was hardly any inventory left.

If I hear anything I will certainly post it. Good luck.
  • Options
    ephaepha Member Posts: 11
    Great deal.

Did any of the dealerships you visited have any touring NO pax models in stock?
  • Options
    chode96chode96 Member Posts: 8
    David McDavid Frisco has 3 in stock when I check their Inventory online. Two white, one silver.
  • Options
    tom200tom200 Member Posts: 11
    Looking to purchase EX-L in Denver Boulder Area, any advice, sample prices ? I just got a best an final from Go Honda on 104th for a 2008 EX-L RES of $28,090.00. This does not include Tax Tag Etc. Assuming this would add another $2.5K.

Is this a good deal?