Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rockstar7rockstar7 Member Posts: 5
    Amyscar,

My EX-L with DVD costed as follows:

option 1:
    $28800 (Invoice minus $2500, includes destination of $670, includes spalsh guards, tint, pin stripe, wheel locks and cargo tray)
    TTL: 6.25% + about $400
    Price is with cash or own finance

option 2:
    $29800 (Invoice minus $1500, includes destination of $670, includes spalsh guards, tint, pin stripe, wheel locks and cargo tray)
    TTL: 6.25% + about $400
    Price is with AHFC's special finance of 2.9% for 60 months
  • Options
    amyscaramyscar Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the break down
  • Options
    upendrakupendrak Member Posts: 8
    I had my worst pre-car buying experience at a Honda dealer in Ellicott City, MD. I am glad that I returned my leased Honda Pilot last month and do not own any other Honda vehicles.

Today I got my 6th car in the last 10 years. I leased a new 09 Camry. Honda and Toyota, both are my favorites but it's the attitude of people at the dealership that matters !
  • Options
    bill071bill071 Member Posts: 1
    purchased exl w/out res for $26,000 including destination fee August 30th or so. Number does not include Taxes and so forth. Guessed that incentiives would increase in Sept. but seemed like a fair deal on odyssey and dealer gave generous amount for trade-in. Since we were worried of losing out on additional incentives in September, dealer threw in some extras (eg. free details)

All in all, very happy with purchase
  • Options
    gplkrrgplkrr Member Posts: 8
    hi-
    i bought an exl-res in NC.
    check out my Message #20133 and email me if you want additonal info. That way I can also get some referral $
  • Options
    gplkrrgplkrr Member Posts: 8
    hi-
    i bought an exl-res in NC.
    check out my Message #20133 and email me if you want additonal info. That way I can also get some referral $
  • Options
    sginlasginla Member Posts: 8
    I am about to make purchase tomorrow (EXL NAV RES) and will post the prices I get in socal. Meanwhile I had a question.

If dealer tries to push extended warranty as part of the price negotiation, would it be okay to just buy the warranty at the time and if I have buyer's remorse later, cancel the warranty and get the refund? Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks,
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Price negotiation first with Sales Dept. After a deal is made and/or credit check then extended warranty, alram, remote starter, extra protection, appearance pkg are pitched to you in the Finance Manager's room due the signing of paperwork.

Basically you won't mix these two together.
  • Options
    gluck51gluck51 Member Posts: 9
    The lowest price I got so far is OTD $25000 for cash purchase. Is this good enough?
  • Options
    mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Do you have about $2500.00 in taxes and fee's? The reason I ask is because I have found here in Minneapolis, most dealers are offering the Odyssey EX for about $22500.00 plus TT&L.
  • Options
    qiangieeeqiangieee Member Posts: 3
    good experience with the dealer and negotiated via email, took an hour to drive the car away (no dealer financing)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    In California, registration, title and taxes usually add up to about 10% of the selling price... so, he's awfully close..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes, so essentially, it is $22727 + TTL. And this is for a cash purchase.

Not sure if I should push even harder.
  • Options
    gnrajagopalgnrajagopal Member Posts: 4
    Nope i had to pay TTL on top of it. but the posted price [$26,900]included desitination
  • Options
    I would take it. It it invoice minus $3500.
    I am hoping to score the same deal this weekend (invoice minus $3500), if I get it, I am taking it :)
  • Options
    OK. But how did you know it is invoice minus $3500? Could you give me the break down?
  • Options
    fromsuv2vanfromsuv2van Member Posts: 15
    I got internet quote for an 08 Ody EX-L with both NAV and DVD for $29.8K plus TTL. Is this a good price? (as of Friday 9/5)

I got also a quote for a 2009 Ody EX for $28.5. So for $1K more I would get leather, nav, and dvd (but I have to factor in the depreciation of last year, 2008, model). When is the transition between the model years? Late september? October? Or until remaining 08 models run out?

Thanks
  • Options
    Honda is currently kicking back $3500 to the dealers this month to get rid of the '08s. So your price is reflecting that. (Then I think they get another 2-3% also from Honda.) So 26299-3500= $22799 then if they are desperate they can kick you back their other 2-3%.
  • Options
    Thanks. However, how would you know that the invoice for EX is 26299? In carsdirect.com the invoice shows 23526 for 2008 Odyssey EX.
  • Options
    I got the invoice # from here, yahoo says invoice is 26244. You might have been looking at the invoice for the LX the lowest model...all I saw on carsdirect was a range for 2008: "Invoice: $23,442 - $36,771" (I am sure it varies a few dollars by zip code.)
  • Options
    Check this one out:
    http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=94555&acode=USB80HOV011B0&restor- e=false

I am guessing carsdirect has taken most incentive/rebates into consideration when it gives the invoice price.....
  • Options
    Yes, that is not invoice, that is what dealers in your area are selling the car for (with the online quotes.) If you want just ask the dealer to see what the invoice price is on the car. I am sure he will show it to you.
  • Options
    Invoice for EX-L w/ RES & NAV is $32.4K so I think you might be able to work out a better deal when you walk in ready to buy.

Did they by chance say when the '09 was coming out? I think it is the end of the month?? The '09 EX-L will have the power lift gate which might be worth waiting for (but honestly the lift gate isn't too heavy....now the T&C that is a different story.)

I would probably go back in and say...okay well how about I take the '08 w/ RES & NAV off your hands for the price of the '09 EX. :)
  • Options
    Dest = 670

2008 EX with "cloth seats"
    MSRP + Destination : 29,630 >>> Invoice + Destination : 26,914
    MSRP : 28,960 >>> Invoice : 26,229

2008 EX with "leather seats"
    MSRP + Destination : 32,880 >>> Invoice + Destination : 29,851

I am scratching my head why big difference just leather seats!
  • Options
    nobodyyouknownobodyyouknow Member Posts: 21
    We closed the deal tonight and brought it home. The dealer specifically asked that I not disclose its name and I intend to respect that.

I started out donkey punching and then asked the top dealers to compete against the carsdirect.com (25,081) price. Some claimed that carsdirect charges additional dock fees. Whatever.

A dealer decided to step up and sold it to me for 25,000 inclusive of doc. fees+1750 tax+21 tag & lemon law = $26,771. Got splashguards & pinstriping thrown in.

Other runner up dealers that I strongly recommend because of how candid and quick they were are Conyers Honda (25350.00) and Hennessey in Woodstock ($253XX.00). The only downside for me was that both were significantly far away.
    Phil Hughes in Athens was also very forthright, but was over $1000 more.

Take this for what it's worth, but we were warned that there are some hail damaged cars still out there from the big storm back in the spring being sold as new despite the repair work. Be sure to check the roofs of the cars.
  • Options
    alic3alic3 Member Posts: 15
    The EX with leather seats is actually EX-L...and it also comes with a backup camera in the rearview mirror.
  • Options
    na_trana_tra Member Posts: 4
    you are paying too much for the 08 EX w/leather. i was given a quote for EX-L for $25950 + tax and fee. came out $28600 OTD roughtly but have to be cash or your own finance.
  • Options
    na tra - I am not buying just comparing the MSRP and how much off into invoice, then invocie to less the Honda to dealer's cash rebate and dealer's holdback. It is for the poster that I replied to his question.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    There are several differrences between the two models. The EX-L adds leather, a sunroof, VCM (with better mpg), and a back-up camera.
  • Options
    su_hydsu_hyd Member Posts: 24
    Internet quote received from Hendrick Honda of Woolbridge (Deal valid until SEP 03, Labor Day)

Sale Price - $25,360
    Coupon - (-$250)
    Freight - $670
    Processing - $399
    VA Tax - $816.79 (3.12%)
    VA Tags - $59.50

Total - $27,055.29 OTD Price

I have shared the information posted in this forum i.e. dealer cash back being increased from $2500 to $3500 on 2008 Odyssey's starting SEP 04 2008 and here is the response I have received....

"You are correct about the incentive on the 08 Odyssey. That incentive is good only if you are not taking the special financing offered by American Honda. So without the special financing, your price for the 08 Odyssey EX-L would be $26,458.22, and this does include all fees as well as the $200 coupon I am sending right after this..."
  • Options
    hot2004hot2004 Member Posts: 26
    WOW! Cardsdirect price for Atlanta is really impressive. But not the NJ price, which is $26.751.
  • Options
    audiblesigh2audiblesigh2 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2008 Slate Green Odyssey EX in Harrisburg, PA. Here were my numbers:

MSRP: 29,630.00
    Discount: 6566.46
    Sale Price: 23,063.54
    Tax (6%): 1383.81
    Tags/Other Fees*: 52.65
    Total OTD: 24,500.00

*I transferred an existing registration; other fees were $5 tire tax and 14.15 online registration fee.

I did get a quote for 22,500 (before tax/tags), 24003.95 OTD from a dealer in Bloomsburg, but I had already committed to buying from a dealer locally. I never got the 24003.95 quote OTD in writing, so I can't say if it was legit or not.

The dealer I did end up buying from was really reluctant to dip into their holdback at all, but thanks to the donkeypunch methodology, after getting a better price from another dealer, I got a price that dipped into $335 of the holdback.

Also, a couple of things I found interesting:
    1) The sales manager said that their holdback is actually %2 + another 1.5%, meaning they get a total of 3.5% holdback, not 3%. Don't know if that is just this dealer or if all dealers get that. If that was true, they made about $678 on this deal.
    2) This particular dealer's inventory of 08 Odysseys recently INCREASED, meaning they got new vehicles in. My best guess is that Honda is giving them some incentive to sell more. The dealer is probably the largest in the area.
  • Options
    trishaetrishae Member Posts: 8
    I visited a dealership today and got the following offer.

26436.00 (including destination)
    1321.80 6% tax
    125.00 tags

I gave him an offer of 25,500 and this is what he came back with. I also emailed a couple other dealerships today to see if they can beat this. I'd appreciate any opinions!
  • Options
    dave1385dave1385 Member Posts: 1
    I spoke to a salesman today that suggested Honda might have to increase marketing support mid month to move the 08's. Apparently most dealers have an enormous inventory. Anyone know if Honda has done this with other models in the past (changed incentives mid month)?
  • Options
    phatlipboardzphatlipboardz Member Posts: 30
    I spoke with my friend who is a broker and he said that Honda has slowed down Ody production dramatically (to a halt) and that they are more focused on the Civic line due to the obvious fuel economy. Basically these dealerships want these 08's off the lot and they may not get many 09s at first as the Civics are moving pretty quickly.

Just what I heard. I am still waiting to pull the trigger, but I believe I have a good deal as it is.
  • Options
    sundaramsundaram Member Posts: 6
    After lot of research and several quotes from dealers, we just bought a 2008 odessey EXL with DVD + Nav for 32K OTD, took the special financing of 2.9%, otherwise OTD would have beeen 31k OTD. We were first interested in 08 Sienna but they all were sold out so fast that I didn't want to loose on Honda' special financing benefit...0' special financings are at best 5.9% for 5 years...
    32K includes abut %1300-1400 of TTL+ processing $399, rest is vehicle cost..how does it look? any thoughts...delaership is in fairfax Northern VA
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It could happen (they've done it before) but IMHO it's unlikely since they just changed the incentives last week.
  • Options
    dandydoniidandydonii Member Posts: 45
    I was actually quite surprised by the changed in incentives. Frankly speaking, if you are intending to finance a large part of the purchase, then the new incentives are actually worse than the previous ones. And frankly speaking, Toyota, Nissan and Chrylser have already figured out that the cars have to be heavily discounted (toyota gave 0% and Nissan was basically giving 8500 off of Invoice for large volume dealers). Once the other companies gave the proper incentives, they moved cars off of their lot. Honda may have to do the same. Especially since the 09s are basically out, which almost makes the 08 a used vehicle.
  • Options
    Last week I can still see the sales ad in Boston Herald of 2007 brand new Chrysler Cross Fire. Dealer is in Maine.
  • Options
    sweetoothsweetooth Member Posts: 23
    I have a request for all:
    Please help me understand if this is true:
    I just got myself a new car, not a honda but figured i can ask everyone no matter which forum....My dealer gave me price x after all discounts but when final paperwork got done, he made me pay higher taxes as he said taxes are calculated pre-discounts......is it true?
  • Options
    gjigji Member Posts: 5
    According to the new incentives - mplshondadlr, "Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #20301, 3 Sep 2008 10:13 am#20300
    The OTD without the 2.9% financing should be 2500 less than "with" financing.. And costco-capitalone offers an attractive APR (I got 4.67%) which easily overrides the 2.9% deal(assuming you have a good credit score.. but you need that for the 2.9% financing too)

------------
    Sundaram neeyum Sundaran yaanum senthirum naal thiruOnam.
  • Options
    sundaramsundaram Member Posts: 6
    I found out about this forum right before before my purchase, and it has helped me a lot in doing research and h asbeen very resourceful from an information standpoint...but what I noticed was that dealers in a particular area know exactly what they want to offer based on what others are offering ( I am talking about northern VA), and most of the dealers were just about couple of hundred $'s +/- from each other and just would not budge...I tried sendign them print outs of this forums, telling tehm other dealers are far lower than them etc...nothign worked and they just would no budge...probbaly I need to take "Negotiations 101"...seems like a very efficient market...point I want to make is...no matter...how much research we do...and well informed we are...the pricing and availability is so locality specific that So Cal low prices, dealer incentives are useless for someone like me...nevertheless.. this forum is just amazing for the amount of interaction we have...thanks everyone
  • Options
    Finally done! My target was to achieve $28500 (Invoice - $3500 - 3% of MSRP). Did lot of negotiation over emails and finally closed the deal as:
    Base: $28,584
    Tax: 7.25%
    Fees etc.
    OTD: $31,013
    Area: So Cal

No dealer installed accessories. Went in with a competitor quote and negotiated better price than that. It was pretty quick.

Hope this info helps.
  • Options
    rburrice75rburrice75 Member Posts: 4
    GJI -- How were you able to 4.67% from Costco-Capitalone? The best rate I can see on there is 5.19%.

Thanks
  • Options
    fromsuv2vanfromsuv2van Member Posts: 15
    Sqinla,

Which dealer did you buy from? That was a great deal ! I live in L.A. County and all internet quotes that I received for an 08 Ody EXL with NAV and DVD (RES) are around $29,900 plus TTL.

Thanks
  • Options
    I got very competitive quotes from Riverside, Goudy, Santa Monica and Galpin honda. Galpin gave me an impression of being cheaters. My next stop was at Goudy and they were upfront and honest, just like last time. This is my 2nd honda purchase from them. They had the car to sell, I wanted to buy it. Agreed on the price, closed the deal super fast.
  • Options
    vwpassat2001vwpassat2001 Member Posts: 12
    I just wanted to get the expert opinions on a new EX-L with RES.

I am in Colorado and the best price I got for EX-L with RES is = 28,000 + tax as of 6-Sep-08. The model was received by the dealership in 2008 May and has around 140 miles on it. I was thinking the model might be a little old and has a lot miles on it. Probably has been used for a lot of test drives. Is this a good price?

Like one of the previous post was mentioning, all the Honda dealers absolutely refuse to negotiate. They offered the standard $3500 below invoice and refused to negotiate for any amount below that. Even though the one that I am looking at was received in May and has some miles (150) on it, the dealer had a take it or leave it attitude.

The quote that I received for EX-L with RES + NAV was - 31,399 + tax. What do you guys think about this price?

Thanks for all your help in getting me prepped up before the purchase.
  • Options
    nissan1989nissan1989 Member Posts: 1
    Which dealer in Colorado? Thanks.
  • Options
    vwpassat2001vwpassat2001 Member Posts: 12
    I mainly had talks with Go Honda, Fisher Honda and Planet Honda near Denver and Boulder areas.