Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    flytexasflytexas Member Posts: 5
    I'm new here, always bought my cars by just walking into a place, this is my first time to use the Internet to try this...

Looking at a few dealer websites, I see a lot of Touring models in White and Silver, I haven't found one in Red yet. (I figure they must, since the 2009 model on Honda's web site is a Touring Red)

My wife currently drives a 2002 Ford Explorer and we just had our second child, she doesn't really want a "soccer mom" mobile, however she has driven it now and agrees that it makes a lot more sense to have a minivan.

She does NOT want a white or silver van, she wants blue or red (and a power liftgate, hence the Touring model).

We live closest to David McDavid in Frisco, been in once to test drive, seem nice enough, but don't really know much about them or Honda in general (always been a Ford and Chevy family, never owned a foreign car before). We did drive the Town and Country, but liked the Odyssey better...

Anyone have anything nice or not nice to say about that dealership? Anyone buy a Touring recently in Texas and want to share what the price was? My understanding is that we aim for dealer invoice, less $2K, less 2% dealer holdback.

Thanks for any input or advice you may have...
  • Options
    thx123thx123 Member Posts: 6
    Hi there. No it did not work out. As Oliver mentioned Anderson Honda no longer honors that price. I guess too many people have queried and scared them off: "The pricing that your friend received was a promotion for those who received our email and coupon on Friday, August 29th, ONLY." So the new price now is 1k higher, which is pretty much the same as other dealers' internet quotes.

Tomorrow 9/2 is the last day for the current market supports and special financing, but I have to go to school so won't be able to spend more time on this. Nevertheless I have created a y group so people with same interest can join, discuss freely and possibly make a group buy in the future? Here you go: groups.yahoo.com/group/odysseyhunters/ good luck!
  • Options
    na_trana_tra Member Posts: 4
    dont they have .9% APR for 36 months? By the way, where do you get your quote? I m in San Francisco and looking to buy a EX-L soon. since there is no significant different between 2009 and 2008.
  • Options
    vpanditavpandita Member Posts: 3
    OTD price of $30,950.
  • Options
    willie374willie374 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an 08 Odyssey EX-L w/ RES and Nav (Silver Pearl Metallic) from Herson Honda in Rockville, MD for $30,400 OTD.

This includes $880 (3%) Virginia Tax, $670 for destination, $100 for processing, $94 for tags, and $260 for cross bars on the roof rack.

Sport Honda in Silver Spring, MD gave me the same deal, but didn't have the Silver my wife wanted.

I started by emailing 15 dealers, and only 3 (including Herson and Sport) responded with the detailed price and color options I requested. I hammered out the whole detail via email on Fri and picked up the car on Sat. Couldn't have been easier.
  • Options
    mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    "(and a power liftgate, hence the Touring model)."

2009 EXL's have a power liftgate.
  • Options
    nobodyyouknownobodyyouknow Member Posts: 21
    My understanding is that we aim for dealer invoice, less $2K, less 2% dealer holdback.

ACtually, I'd aim for invoice, less $2500 (the full incentive), less 3% (the full holdback 2%+1% which looks like a holdback but isn't a holdback) as worst case. A few hundred more would be better. Odys seem to be going for at a few hundred less than this figure as dealers try to move them out. So, you have some room to play with.

The new incentives come out tomorrow. So, check those out to see if you should go and negotiate for even more money off.

And FYI, the Ody doesn't come in a regular red, it's dark shade of red.
  • Options
    virtual_voidvirtual_void Member Posts: 7
    I finally bought the Odyssey went to Irving dealer first as they had given us a quote of 28.5K, Frisco dealer said that they will beat it by $500, and Irving then said they will match.
    After reaching the Irving dealer the sales person started behaving very rudely and didn't agree to match the 28K, went to Frisco dealer and initially I was hesitant that it might be a bait and switch as they never agreed to put 28K in writing.

They were very nice to deal with, and honored the deal, break down:

EX-L (slate green) + Pro pack + env pack + TTL = 28,300 (I didn't want the extras but was too tired to fight for 300 bucks, and knew it was a good deal)

I also paid $800 for 6 yr. 80K miles wty which I will cancel and probably buy online or not at all.
    We wanted the white color but when we test drove it, it somehow didn't feel right, the noise level was high and ride was bumpy, then test drove Ocean mist which was very good but had 200 miles on it the Slate green was almost as good as the Ocean mist but with 17mi, I don't care for the color but simply went with what my wife liked.

- They filled the gas only 70% despite the fact that I asked the sales guy to fill full, and he said he will top it off, not sure if it was by mistake or deliberate, didn't push as going home was higher priority after 10 hours of van shopping.
    - They quoted $1400 for after market RES and $1700 for Honda RES, one of their guys does it on the side and gave me a number to call, will look at other like car-toys, any suggestions?
    - They mentioned that they have sold few 2009 models and are going to get few more, the brochures etc. were for 2009.
  • Options
    deeemandeeeman Member Posts: 2
    Update: the salesman got back with me today and said that the $7000 off, not $8000 as I had been mistaken, was just for Labor Day. It is now $6500. Good news is that he says the 0.9% is still on for the financing. Bad news is he says it's only for today. I am getting the feeling that I am being jerked around, a familiar feeling at dealerships IMHO.
  • Options
    astar10astar10 Member Posts: 3
    To be eligible for that special rate, your score need to be in the 710 range. Good lcuk
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    You won't find a red '08 because Honda doesn't offer that color. The closest is Dark Cherry Pearl which to my eye has a fair amount of brown in it.

There are two '08 blues - one light (Ocean Mist) and one dark (Baltic).
  • Options
    I got 2 quotes in San Francisco for $27588 with .9% with 36 months. is that good price? Just got another quote for 2008 EX-L $29500 OTD with special finance based on my credit score. any thought?
  • Options
    gnrajagopalgnrajagopal Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a EXL from autowest honda in fremont for 26,900 with .9% apr for 3 yrs. For cash deal was 26,000 if i paid in full.

I went with financing. this was the best deal i could get when i checked with all major east/south bayarea dealers. you should be able to get better than what i paid in the coming weeks.

Love my van so far. out of the gate am getting 19/gal in city/hway driving. the van drives like a car, very easy to maneuver.

Raj
  • Options
    baexx021baexx021 Member Posts: 1
    which dealer was it?
    i am looking forward same as what you got in atl..
    congratulaton for good deal!
  • Options
    giventoflygiventofly Member Posts: 10
    Which dealership was it. I'm also in NC and looking to buy soon. Thanks.
  • Options
    dandydoniidandydonii Member Posts: 45
    I am interested in an EXL for that price too, I am in the bay area.
  • Options
    $26,588 for cash, which as I mentioned earlier is $1000 more than Oliver's best deal; and is the same with most other dealers' internet quotes.
  • Options
    Yes, you're right... I meant the Dark Cherry Pearl... Every car seems to have a new name for red. :)

In any case, it turns out the red isn't an option for the touring model in 08, just 09.

I drove home a 08 EX-L NAV RES tonight in Dark Cherry Pearl to have my wife drive tomorrow, if she really wants the power liftgate, we'll have to wait for the 09 model in a few weeks.

I probably need to go drive the touring model side by side, to figure out if the upgrade is worth it. My wife won't care, but it'll bug me.

Also, one other question, the EX-L doesn't have auto-headlights (drove home after dark) that I can find, did Honda really build a $34K van without auto-headlights, or am I missing the obvious?

With invoice at $33,089, does this mean I should pay about $29,514? (less $2,500 and 3% holdback)

Also, they have EPP, PROTECTION PACKAGE, STRIPS, etc added on, it is a lot of money and I'm assuming it is all dealer profit. Should that stuff just be removed? Or is there a fair amount of money to pay for that stuff?

As a side note, I used the nav to get home, the voice feature works very well, now I want one for my truck. :)

Thanks for all the input and advice, this forum is great!
  • Options
    jetteck1jetteck1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the email. Went out this weekend to buy a EXL with Res/Nav. Best price I got was around 33000 OTD. Let me know if you intrested in making a group purchase. I am looking for Slate Green/with Grey interior. You can email me if you find a better for two Ody I will do the same if thats ok with you. Let me know what you are in the market for. I am in San Francisco email me at Jetteck1@aol.com.
  • Options
    We're also facing the the '08 v 09 decision b/c we want the liftgate. But we decided against the '09 b/c the price is likely to be several thousand more expensive, even though on a sticker price basis, it's only 800 more. But for '09, there won't be the kinds of incentives we are seeing now for some time, if at all. Honda is cutting back Ody production for '09 and that will probably make the transaction price substantially higher. At a minimum, the $2500 incentive will go away for a while, if not forever.

The EXL has auto off headlights. The touring has auto-on and off.

And you're correct, those accessory packages are dealer profit/fluff. From the posts here, it looks like you can negotiate all or most of that away. If our exl comes with pinstripes, I'll be pulling them off as soon as I get the car home.

Your price estimate is correct and you can push for less and see what happens. Make sure to look up the "donkey punch" in this forum and follow its suggestions before you step foot into a dealership. It will save much time and stress.
  • Options
    ephaepha Member Posts: 11
    The best quote I rec'd for a Touring in Dallas was $33,884. (NOT including TTL or dealer adds). That was about 2 weeks ago. I'm waiting to see what the new incentives look like. Other quotes were in the $34.5 range.
  • Options
    virtual_voidvirtual_void Member Posts: 7
    " If our exl comes with pinstripes, I'll be pulling them off as soon as I get the car home."

In DFW area, many dealers hand paint it, I wouldn't want to remove that.
  • Options
    chode96chode96 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have any idea what the current incentives are 9/3/2008 forward?
  • Options
    amyscaramyscar Member Posts: 12
    Our sales guy just said his dealership had a meeting this morning and dealership incentives just went up (effective today.) This is in WA state.
  • Options
    sun_dancesun_dance Member Posts: 13
    do you know how much better the incentives just got?
  • Options
    Dealer cash went to $3500.00 (an additional $1000.00) or just $1000.00 and the low-rate APR option (down $500.00). There is no longer low money factor lease option.
  • Options
    sun_dancesun_dance Member Posts: 13
    Wow! It's a good time to buy, since I doubt we'll be seeing lower incentives by much at this point.
  • Options
    I am in south bay so it may be a little far, but I will let you know if I find a good deal.
  • Options
    Dealer cash went to $3500.00 (an additional $1000.00) or just $1000.00 and the low-rate APR option (down $500.00). There is no longer low money factor lease option.

When do these incentives expire?
  • Options
    09/30
  • Options
    $3,500 off makes waiting a few days worth it...

Well, my wife wants the power tailgate no matter what, so the touring it is. We could wait for the 09 models, but then the price will be higher.

Shame, because the red one is much nicer looking... Just not $3,500 nicer... :(

The downside is that the Frisco dealer only has a new white one with PAX tires on it...

Will it matter in terms of driving it? In other words, do the PAX tires ride any difference to the non-PAX tires? I do understand that replacements cost more, but that isn't the end of the world to me. I'd go drive that one, but it is in their show room and they'll have to pull it out.
  • Options
    PAX ride stiffer and wear out at about 30-40 thousand miles. If you dont mind a drive, I would try to look for the non-PAX.
  • Options
    gap4jasongap4jason Member Posts: 54
    mplshondadlr wrote:

I'm coming a bit late into the game....can someone please clarify:

Is this $3500 off of MSRP or Invoice?
    Does the $3500 off only apply to Cash Purchase?
    Is the $1000 off only on Financing option?

thanks!
  • Options
    pchera01pchera01 Member Posts: 8
    in oklahoma city, Bob Howard has about $6K or $7K discount, but not advertised anywhere at all. just in dealer parking lots only
  • Options
    phatlipboardzphatlipboardz Member Posts: 30
    Looks like the dealer incentive here in Colorado is $2500 on top of the $3500 from Honda.

Got a lease quote for an EX $23,595 plus tax 8.25% and D&H no money down 36mos./12k yr OTD for $375 month. MF I was quoted the other day is .00163. Haven't gotten the full breakdown yet.

EX-L is 26,590 plus tax and D&H no money down is OTD $435 month.

Dealer states that regardless of whether I lease or purchase, the selling prices are the same. Going to see if I can get the full breakdown and work on it a bit.

Kind of sick over missing the Nissan Quest Deal yesterday with $10500 off the sticker, but I just couldn't justify it as I hadn't even driven that van and they didn't have one on the lot. The additional incentive from Nissan ended yesterday, so I'm back here now.
  • Options
    sophatlip, do you know if the $2500.00 dealer incentives exist out here in California as well? If not, do you know how I can check that out?

By the way, I feel you on the Quest, I saw the great deals for a couple of weeks, but none of the dealers would be straight with me. I then finally figured out what was up last Friday, and the Nissan dealers became very open after I said the magic words. Unfortunately, there were almost zero cars that I was interested in in Northern California.
  • Options
    the same guy yesterday emailed me today with new offer at $25950 cash + tax & l.fee. i want with 0.9% APR. will see what happens.
  • Options
    I'm coming a bit late into the game....can someone please clarify:

Is this $3500 off of MSRP or Invoice?
    Does the $3500 off only apply to Cash Purchase?
    Is the $1000 off only on Financing option?

3500 off of the dealer's cost (which is invoice), but dealers can pass it on or not, as they see fit. Because of the slow market, they are passing it on and then some.

So, you take the 3500, knock off the 3% of MSRP (without destination) for the holdback and that looks like the most that folks are paying. So, you should end up with the actual dealer's cost. Most dealers look like they are digging deeper to move inventory.

To give you an idea, the carsdirect.com in my part of the country for an exl is 25,081. Compare that to the published invoice and you'll see that the discounts are there for the taking.

Also, $3500 is for a cash purchase or if you finance (through the dealer or on your own) through a 3rd party company (ie: someone other than Honda). Instead, you can get $1000 off if you take honda's low rate financing.
  • Options
    vpanditavpandita Member Posts: 3
    Hennessy Honda in Woodstock.
  • Options
    I believe I read somewhere else that someone did get an additional 2500 in CA. It's not actually posted on the dealer's website as of yet and I didn't even know about it. I was actually surprised.

Yeah, the Quest thing I'm a little sick over but I just couldn't justify a deal without driving one. As of Tuesday, there were only 7 Quests in the state. The guy was willing to travel to get one, but I had to commit. If I didn't happen to be at home with my three kids that day I might have scrambled to go drive one, but no dice.

The one thing that is different is that there are quite a few of 2008s still on the lots here, but I can't imagine Honda is going to dig any deeper to get rid of them unless the dealer just wants them off the lot. Now I just need to justify the extra $$ for an EX-L.
  • Options
    phatlip, thanks for the info. Where have you found your information from regarding the extra $2500?

I agree with you about the amount of 08s....I thought the incentives would actually be better, considering what it took for Toyota and Nissan to sell theirs. I think Honda has the best product, but it is not that much better when compared to what Toyota and Nissan was offereing.
  • Options
    Basically how I found out about it was the internet guy emailed me yesterday with that breakdown from my previous post. He stated that the dealer is adding 2500 off with a purchase or a lease. It obviously will not be considered if I take the Honda Financing, as stated in his email.

I have spent countless hours researching this stuff and I am still lost. I feel like I have gone from one end to another. I've looked at cars like the Mazda 5 (which I think is more my lifestyle...minimalist), SUVs and of course minivans. The one thing I can't wrap my head around to justify a "bigger" car is that we don't take many road trips. I need something for around town. But, I need three rows. I have three boys (3, 22mos., and 3 months). We don't have a lot of "stuff" to haul around except our kids and their car seats and in Colorado a cargo/rocket box on the top is somewhat the norm. Heck I'd use this even with a mini van when we are heading up to the mountains. Anyway, that was off the subject.

If you are interested I would just email a dealer or just call and see if they are offering the extra 2500. I wish I could find that post where someone in CA got that deal as well.
  • Options
    phalip, I wonder if that 2500.00 he mentioned was the 2500.00 incentive that was in place before the 3500.00 incentive and he just did not have the updated incentive.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I think

2500 off MSRP is dealer invoice
    3500 off is Honda to dealer rebate

Dealer still has the 2 to 3% hold back to play with
  • Options
    According to my math based on the cars they have on the lot (listed on their website) he is basically "giving me" a total of 6,000 off of the stated MSRP give or take just a few bucks. Now of course the guy won't be in until later and my next move is to say, "I'll be in today and sign if you give me that 6,000 off of invoice." I'll see if this is just a move to get me in just because the dealer is "throwing in another 2500" when I am really just getting the 3500 off of invoice.
  • Options
    gluck51gluck51 Member Posts: 9
    Raj, is this OTD price?
  • Options
    rockstar7rockstar7 Member Posts: 5
    FYI ..

Bought '08 Odyssey EX-L with DVD in DFW area for OTD $31,700 with Honda's 2.9 for 60months

It was $30,600 OTD with cash or own finance.

In both the cases, Cost of Ownership after 60 months comes out to be same.
  • Options
    How much was it minus the TTL??

I am curious if anyone has got an EX-L w/ Res for $27000....our taxes are 9.1% here so to get it OTD for $30K cash we need to hit that number.
  • Options
    gap4jasongap4jason Member Posts: 54
    I received 2 quotes today from 2 Southern California dealerships:

1 - M.S.R.P. Of $36480. Your special internet price for this vehicle is $29980*. The special internet price includes the destination charge + TTL.

1- Another dealership was willing to bring that down by another $300 around....$29600 + TTL.

is that a pretty good deal......I believe this is reflecting Invoice minus $3500 (cash purchase).
  • Options
    I am sure if you show up with cash in hand ready to buy you can squeeze them down a little closer to $29K, sounds like you have some good numbers to work with.