Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    treiadtreiad Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I would love any feedback people have on whether or not you believe the following is a reasonable price to pay for the following:

Vehicle: 2010 EX-L with RES
    Color: Bali Blue
    Sales Price: $33,500 (this includes $710 transportation fee and processing fee)
    Out-The-Door Price: $34,500 (this includes taxes, tags, title).

Since invoice is $32,417 (including $710 transportation fee), I'm basically paying invoice + $1,100.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    caseyjrcaseyjr Member Posts: 9
    I received quotes in that range for the 2010 EXL w/RES & NAVI. I'm in So. Cal.
  • Options
    Thanks caseyjr. When you said you have received quotes in that range, do you mean that you received a quote of $32,500 for 2010 EXL for RES and NAV? If so, then I am getting a horrible horrible deal because my offer does not include NAV.

Or did you mean that you received quotes in the invoice + $1,100 range where the invoice price is higher for RES and NAV then it is for just NAV?

Thanks

P.S. I'm in the Washington DC area
  • Options
    hoosbesthoosbest Member Posts: 39
    Way too high for a 2009 Touring at $36,875. Get the 2010 for basically the same price. If you don't need a car immediately - wait 2-3 months and deals and inventory will be back.
  • Options
    pratsprats Member Posts: 2
    in MO : i paid 32,900 OTD including destination, documentation fees, excluding taxes - for ex-l with RES, but you can bring it down to close to invoice price if you negotiate further and flexible with the color
  • Options
    nkotnkot Member Posts: 1
    Hi, That's very good price. Here in MN, I'm getting the quote not less than 27500. All because of C4C. May I know, Where do you live or dealer name? Thanks
  • Options
    nmomof2nmomof2 Member Posts: 14
    I've received two internet quotes of approx 31,100 for an EXL (no res/nav) in the Chicago area. This seems to be only slightly higher than the invoice price, and less than the TMV for this area. Is this probably the best I can do? I'm thinking about waiting until September to see what else comes out in the way of incentives.
  • Options
    nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    If you don't have to buy now, I would seriously consider waiting a while. C4C has really made is so dealers don't have to take much off MSRP. When this program runs its course, they will have to be more competitive to make sales.

Just found a couple of prices on '09 EXLs from late June when Honda was giving the $2500 incentive. Quote 1 was MSRP $33825, sale price $27204. Quote 2 was MSRP 33725, sale price $27488. Hindsight is 20/20 lol.
  • Options
    hugenuthugenut Member Posts: 2
    Went to Fairfax Honda in Fairfax, VA, and Sport Honda in Silver Spring, MD so far today.

Both places would not sell below MSRP. With CFC, this is definitely not a good time to buy.

Does anyone know of any Honda dealers in the DC/MD/VA area that will still sell you a car below MSRP?

This is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Hugenut,

I'm not sure what model Odyssey you are looking for, but I just negotiated a deal on a 2010 EX-L with RES in the DC area for around Invoice + $700 (this includes the $710 destination fee but not including the processing fee). Clearly, this is well below MSRP.

I went to (or had e-mail negotiations) with the following dealerships:
    Fairfax Honda
    Bill Page Honda (Arlington VA)
    Tysons Honda
    Ourisman Honda (Bethesda MD).

All of these dealers were willing to come close to my final price.

Inventory is definitely low and you can't get the same deals today that you could get a couple of months ago, due to cash for clunkers, however, paying MSRP seems a little high.

Of course, this is just for the 2010 EX-L with RES. Other models may be in higher demand or have lower supply.
  • Options
    ksufootballksufootball Member Posts: 11
    where in Missouri may i ask? What was the price paid on the van excluding documentation fees and taxes (basically destination and base price) Was this a 2009 or 2010 model?

Thx!
  • Options
    rcpilot1rcpilot1 Member Posts: 2
    Less than two weeks ago in Rockville Maryland (Herson's) I paid $28,122 for a 2010 EX-RES + 710 dest + $100 Processing fee for a total of $28,932 which is about 400 less than invoice (including dest charge) and much less than Edmunds TMV for my area. I don't count the taxes and tags when shopping as that never changes. I traded a very tired 98 5.4 Expedition with three broken valve spings as a "Clunker" for $4,500 + 288 scap value! I did notice when shopping that some dealers were jwere starting to jack up prices as inventory was dropping fast and clunker shoppers overwhelmed the sales staff. I pulled the trigger quick fearing the deals would not last. If the dealers won't deal and you are not trading a clunker, I might wait until the clunker program is over and sales sag again.

P.S. - Went to the beach last weekend - the Odyssey while a bit smaller than the Expedition it handled our large load of kids, dogs and stuff jiust as well while being a far more comfortable ride and drive!
  • Options
    wonderpetswonderpets Member Posts: 14
    Just got a quote over the phone with $37,863 2010 Touring, any thoughts and input will be welcomed. :confuse:
  • Options
    colocarscolocars Member Posts: 5
    I heard that there might be a recent adjustment to the dealer cash - the person I talked to was not sure if it was 2009 or 2010. Has anybody else heard anything on this that has actual details?
  • Options
    robbygrobbyg Member Posts: 61
    manfed1, what $1250 incentive for the 2010 models are you referring to? I saw a $1250 incentive for the 2009 model good through 12/02, but there aren't too many of these left.
  • Options
    mattgerstmattgerst Member Posts: 4
    What do you you guys think of this offer.

I received a quote of 34,500 + TTL for a 2009 EXL with navi and res. This includes the following accessories...Fog lights, All Season floor mats, Cargo Tray, Wheel locks, Splash guards, Pin strip, running boards, moon roof visor, crossbars

It does have 3000 miles on it because it was a "demo car"
  • Options
    southhondasouthhonda Member Posts: 4
    Sounds pricey, and the other posts recommending to wait may be good advice. C4C has pushed up prices alongside demand. I purchase an EXL Res/Nav at the end of June for 30300 +TTL with some dealer added options and 150 miles. The deals will come back, but it may be November and on, if you can hold out for Honda incentives.
  • Options
    mahi1mahi1 Member Posts: 1
    in NY - 2009 EXL (no nav or RES)
    I got a price quote
    28950 + dest fee +tax ..
    Any better price in this area ?
    Also - if I wait for 2 months can the price of 2010 be less than this ?
    please advice.
  • Options
    amtbooksamtbooks Member Posts: 11
    Great news indeed, time to have some good deals.
  • Options
    jncarsjncars Member Posts: 13
    Just wondering, did your EX-RES have a combined average of 20 MPG. On Honda's website it states that only the EXL and Touring that have the VCM gets(20MPG) combined. The rest only have an 18MPG. The reason I'm asking this is because I have a C4C car with an 18 MPG and I would only be qualified for a minivan that gets 20 MPG. Also I do not care for the leather. I saw on Sunnyside Honda in Cleveland a 2010 EX-RES with 20 MPG. The dealer was close at the time.
  • Options
    Waay too much for an '09 demo. $30K would be much more like it. Dealers get incentive money back for putting vehicles in demo.
  • Options
    rcpilot1rcpilot1 Member Posts: 2
    No... it only does 18 - only the variable cylinder motor gets 20. After fighting a futile battle for several years to keep all 8 on my old 98 expedition running at the same time... the idea of an engine (VCM) not using all its cylinders just didn't sit right with me... didn't want it... would rather have the simpler technology.
  • Options
    carfreak72carfreak72 Member Posts: 1
    That's a good quote. I received $38,500 in the Chicago area for a 2010 w/o PAX. A 2009 quote I have is $35,346.00. Now that the 'cash for clunkers' program is done - dealers should be more interested in dealing. One of the dealerships I was talking to was so busy - they didn't even bother calling back. That is going to change starting tomorrow. I'd wait for a few days to see if you can do better.
  • Options
    Thx carfreak72..
  • Options
    schkathrobschkathrob Member Posts: 4
    We just went through this. We had a 98 grand caravan that was rated at 18mpg. It was in an accident and we had to replace it. We could not do the C4C on an EX, but we would have qualified for an EXL. We did NOT want leather and the price differential would pretty much make it a wash with the $3500. We found and 09 EX the color we wanted at a good price. We went with it and donated the old car.
  • Options
    End up purchasing a 09 T&C limited for about 32K. Oh one thing, plz don't go to Huntington Honda. IMHO, they are very dishonest! :lemon:
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Maybe now some of those snotty, snooty salespeople can get their noses out of the air. Amazing how a bit of prosperity changes everything!
  • Options
    Do you guys think that the dealers might be willing to make great deals for the rest of this month seeing as how most of them have seen very little reimbursement from cash for clunkers?
  • Options
    sam156sam156 Member Posts: 9
    I've had many Dealers in Houston and surrounding areas have total attitudes because of CFC. Lots of dealers would tell us that the van was MSRP, take it or leave it attitude. If you are experiencing poor c/service and rude dealerships, please take the time to fill out a review on Dealerrater.com If you are lucky and are having good experiences, fill the review section too.

http://www.dealerrater.com/directory/Texas/Honda/

We drove 6 hrs round trip 2 nights ago to purchase a 2010 Oddey R&N, no gimmicks, no jacking up the price., including no add ons whatsoever. Got invoice and got an honest dealership. Gilman Honda of San Antonio.
  • Options
    After searching a five state area (KS,OK, MO,NE,IA), I found an 09 EXL with RES in white in Omaha NE. It was the only one like it in this region. Must be that the economy is slightly better in the midwest than the coasts but I could not negotiate the $30,500 range being reported on the east coast. I chose to go ahead with the 09 vs. 10 because of the incentive and Honda is not really upping production on these vans, plus the 10s are $500 more. I ended up paying without taxes including the "doc" fee $31,298. I got exactly what I wanted and 6 or 7 years down the line the 09 vs. 10 won't be much different in resale or the $1,000 I missed out on negotiating lower 3 months ago will be long forgotten...now just gotta find some all-weather mats and child seat protection for the awesome leather..

BTW..dealt with ODaniel Honda in Omaha....good people and easy to do business with
  • Options
    clwmdmclwmdm Member Posts: 5
    ksufootball,

Wow, you had to go to Omaha to find a decent deal? I am looking in the KC metro area and I feel like I am wasting my time. Frank Ancona seems to be the only dealer in the area that locals are recommending.

Yes, midwest here has a much better economy than the coasts. But that's bad if you are in the market for a new car.......
  • Options
    It helped immensely that I was a cash buyer because I sold my car outright. I could basically find the car on the internet, negotiate the deal over the phone/email, and then go to whereever to close the sale. I figured instead of a dealer charging me $500 to do the legwork and truck or drive a car in I figured I would spend $40 on gas and drive to Omaha to pick the car up. Plus I saved $1000 over any deal here in KC area. Johnson County is the mecca for vans so none around here.
  • Options
    colocarscolocars Member Posts: 5
    I actually have a clunker and don't need a van right now - we only have 75K miles on our current van. But I was hoping that I might be able to take advantage of the c4c program to get what could have been a really good deal on a new van. However, like many of the posters here, I have found that c4c seems to primarily benefit the dealers and this is a pretty bad time to buy if you don't have a clunker and maybe only average if you do (depending on your estimated value for your clunker).

Ideally, we wanted an EX-L. Didn't want the RES - I can't believe the markup for a DVD player - and definitely didn't want to spend on NAV. But the EX-L's are all gone in our area so I started to look at the EX-L / RES.

I started by going through the postings on this site which are great. Thanks very much to everybody who shared, especially those that took the time to dump the details of the deals they actually closed. That was a huge help.

Looking through this site from late March through early June, I found the following info for purchase price of a 2009 EX-L/RES:

* Prices ranged anywhere from $28,000 to $29,780
    * Average price paid was $28,788.

This was during time of a $2,500 cash incentive to the dealer and as I understand it that is now only $1,250. Adding the extra $1,250 back into the deal would suggest:

* Prices should range from $29,250 to $31,030
    * Average price should be $30,038.

The fact that it is the end of the model year, it seems like it should normally be possible to go lower. Looking back on 2008 vans sold at the end of last year early this year, they were often in the $26-27K range. But with strong sales and depleted 2009 inventories the resulting deals are ending up a lot worse than would be expected. Again, might be okay in a c4c transaction but not so good for an outright purchase without that extra buffer.

Doesn't look like I will be able to make a deal before c4c closes but it will be very interesting to see what happens to this market once the government is no longer chipping in on cars. However, this program seems have been very effective in helping the dealers make a lot more than they typically would as they slim/close out 2009 inventory so they may not be hungry for a little while (other than wanting to actually see their cash from the government).
  • Options
    Excellent points.

Also I heard from a source that Honda is not ramping production back up to keep prices good and inventory low. I guess if they keep this philosophy then down the line our trades will be worth more. Honda dealers really don't care that you are buying a year old car if you drive an 09 off the lot and alot of them don't even have 2010s to sell.
  • Options
    jfcarjfcar Member Posts: 10
    Not sure who your source is, nor what time frame you are referring to, but what you saying about Honda keeping production low and inventory low seem suspicious. Who told you this, a salesperson who wanted to sell you a car they had in stock today?
  • Options
    I just got a quote 2009 touring for 36,566 for a 2009 touring including processing and freight fee
  • Options
    Anybody know what and where the best apr rates are for 60 months?
  • Options
    hot2004hot2004 Member Posts: 26
    exactly. if Honda will do it, they will loose the market share heavily, which any company do not want.
  • Options
    Assuming you have the top credit scores, 4.2% for 60 month (From BOA) is lowest I can find on Bankrate.com and similar finance websites.

Also, check you local S&L or any credit union that you may belong to. They may have even better rates.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Not sure why this sounds suspicious. What is the best way to keep your margins high? Don't overproduce and drive prices down. People want vehicles to keep high resale and Honda is known for this. Before the bubble of the mid-2000s (credit, housing, etc) Honda subscribed to this. Remember when it was impossible to find the MDX, Oddy, and eventually Pilot? Then the Alabama plant online and they started producing like crazy to feed the fever of the bubble and recession and fall off in pricing. Then the bust. Then everyone had to move inventory so prices were low. Now the inventory is back to where people are making money again in the dealerships. Honda is not going to make the same mistake again. Hopefully we have all learned not to make these mistakes again.

By the way, my wife works for a prominent car value evaluation and information company and they are invited to exclusive events put on by car companies and have insider information on production volumes and planned future production. Bottom line from now on out Oddys are going to be hard to come by.
  • Options
    How do you maintain market share or grow new customers with less production?

If Toyota doesn't go along with this, a lot of Odyssey folks will buy Siennas. Toyota's new Sienna will be available first quarter 2010.
  • Options
    jfcarjfcar Member Posts: 10
    Your claim that Honda is going to keep production low so that dealers have higher margins will only make Honda's cars more expensive compared to the half-dozen other manufacturers that produce comparable cars.

We may be talking about different time frames and different definitions of some key concepts here, and that might be the problem.

I guess people should stop waxing about how cheap Odysseys were in June and spend their time chasing those elusive Odysseys that Honda is determined to make harder to come by. It may take them a couple of months just to locate one.
  • Options
    clwmdmclwmdm Member Posts: 5
    We live in a deflationary environment. Maybe Honda needs a few months post-CFC to understand this. I'll certainly wait. I've been a Honda owner for my entire life - never owned anything else and have 500K miles between my two Hondas. I'll pay the premium because Honda returns great value over the life of the car.

But if I sense that Honda is trying to keep prices high while most others are dropping, that will rub me the wrong way and off to Toyota I go......
  • Options
    hhunter2412hhunter2412 Member Posts: 8
    I live in Crofton. Can tell where you went and who was your sales person?? thx
  • Options
    james169james169 Member Posts: 6
    Unless Honda comes out and directly says otherwise, one has to assume Honda is going to make as many cars as they think they can sell plus a few. This also means not losing sales because you don''t have the car on the lot. The days that buyers will wait for a Honda Odyssey to arrive and then pay top dollar are long gone. The competition is already cheaper and not too far off in quality - one could argue Toyota is pretty much comparable. In these tight times it is all about market share and survival. Honda is not going to lose market share to competitors simply to try to make Odysseys exclusive and harder to come by. In today's market consumers have all the control - forcing them to wait and then pay top dollar for something as mundane as a minivan would seem to be a pretty bad strategy. Dealers have every incentive in the world to convince you that you need to buy a car that day. Tales of reduced production on the 2010's would seem to help accomplish that.
  • Options
    moshoppermoshopper Member Posts: 1
    I've been searching for a Honda Odyssey since the end of July in Missouri and northern Arkansas. I couldn't find any 09s in my area at all--I had to test drive a 2008 with 23000 miles--the dealership wanted $36,200 for the Touring model. In St. Louis and Kansas City there were still some left...but the price tag would have still been $32,300 out the door with my accessories (all weather mats and cargo tray). In the end I found a 2010 EX-L with RES in Jopln, MO at the Roper Honda dealership with my accessories for $32,800 (OTD). (They include a forever warranty on powertrain). (NOTE: I did do most of my searching through the internet and email--I had to call the KC and STL dealerships to get a response). I know I didn't get as low as some of the posts say, but based on my research...most dealerships were at least $33,500, and some wouldn't budge from MSRP. I also recommend looking at the Fayetteville Honda dealership in Arkansas.

In the Sienna vs. Odyssey debate--I looked at both. I think both are very comparable. I decided on the Odyssey because I liked the 8-seat feature (Odyssey's plus one seat). On the Sienna, the 8th seat is only available on the very basic models. Also, I liked the Silver of the Odyssey vs the silver-gray of the Sienna. I've heard that everyone has some small "something" that steers them toward one or the other...and I found that to be true. I'm very pleased with my choice. The Odyssey seems to have a more solid, luxury feel than the Sienna, but that may only be because the Sienna I test drove only had cloth seats.
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    My son is looking to buy a Toyota FJ Cruiser. There aren't any to choose from as evidently the company cut production way back after they had a glut of them when gas went to $4.00 and had to really discount them then. There is even talk that they may not make many, if any, 2010s. A salesman didn't know nuttin' about anything, except to ask if we wanted a used one.
  • Options
    csholtcsholt Member Posts: 4
    I'm obtaining internet quotes on the very few available 2009 EX models- most quotes are coming back with a lease rate at 8.75% (San Diego, haven't received a quote from Los Angeles yet) is that on track?
    The money factor seems high at .00395

first quote so far-
    $27159 plus tax ($2381)= 29,596
    36 mo lease/12k miles, 8.75%, money factor .00395
    zero down= $507/mo plus tax

2nd quote so far-
    Sales price $27,000 -- 8.75% lease rate, zero down
    36 months $1088.59 down (drive offs) $465.72 tax included
    48 months $1127.35 down (drive offs) $426.97 tax included
    12k miles/year no residual amount included

2009's are hard to find right now! Thoughts?
  • Options
    bca88bca88 Member Posts: 4
    What are major differences? I'm not seeing much except for wheels and suspension on website but it's a little confusing. Also is there a big difference between independent suspsnsion vs. Macpherson Strut suspension?
  • Options
    kevman3kevman3 Member Posts: 30
    Clunkers ended, they started dealing again. I just got a 2009 EX-L with RES for 30,300., destination included. 4,000, off the MSRP, last 09 on the lot. And they came up 500. on my trade. Monmouth County, NJ. Two weeks ago, they wouldnt budge.