Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• Options
    dave84dave84 Member Posts: 75
    approximately 123 lbs., by my guess. Remember, gasoline is lighter than water (gas floats on water). Hope this helps, Binky Barnes.

Signed,
    Buster Baxter
  • Options
    dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    EXceptional!! After finally having enough snowfall in the Dallas area to need TCS... I found the Odyssey to be EXcellent! The (TCS)light flashes every now and then, but otherwise the van just goes like it was dry... We now have 16.5K miles on the our 1st Honda and it has lived up to its name. Actually we have 16k + miles on each of our 1st 2 hondas... bought a month apart in Sept. and Oct. 99', they have both been EXcellent in every way.
  • Options
    minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    There is a mathametical concept of regression towards the mean, wherein over time, the variability in an observation decreases and things become more uniform.
    Can't help but think we are dealing with this here when it comes to vehicle quality. As traditionally smaller, specialty companies like Honda try to make it big time by adding minivans and SUVs, the traditionally large Co's (GM, Chrysler) get smaller (ba-bye Oldsmobile and Plymouth) and learn from mistakes (eg quality problems). We see Honda getting speedy and possibly sloppy while GM and Chrysler perhaps tightening up. The quality differential seems to be diminishing.
    My own sense of Honda's missteps are 2:
    1. Re-badging Isusu's as Passport and Acura SLX. Honda got their bottoms burned with Trooper/SLX rollover fiasco; and of course what's the Honda that Consumer Reports says not to buy used? Passport. I am no expert in autos but I told friends from day 1 that this Izusu thing was a mistake. But, Honda felt they needed to compete in the SUV marketplace so they rushed in.
    2. Odyssey a rush job? At the NY auto show immediately preceeding the release of redesigned '99 Odyssey, Honda did not even have a name for the thing. Of course, they also did not have the proper sliding door latch, multiplex dimmer switch, rear window vent motors, A/C cables, and whatever else they have recalled on this vehicle.
    Another good example is the Mercedes SUV. Many reviews cite cabin squeaks (incl Edmunds) and poor quality ratings. From a Benz? Regression towards the mean as they rush to get a vehicle to the hot SUV market come hell or high water (or substandard quality).

'tis a shame. The big 3 would have had the minivan thing in the bag had they not been lax on quality. I am just not so sure the (previously) able competitors from overseas are doing much better.
  • Options
    to mojo66:
    I posted an update in Ody Problems VII. In short, letter to Honda cc to dealer (salesman and owner) got me an immediate reply from dealer and offer to help further. Dealer has been helpful so far, it is just a pain to keep brining it back and back... Have not yet heard from Honda. I do hope they can get it right.
  • Options
    mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    The lemon law worked! Congratulations. I know it must have been trying but think of what might have happened without the lemon law. You should not write off Honda because of this one experience. Honda's reputation for quality did not appear out of thin air. It was earned over many years. Consumer advocate groups all agree on Honda quality. The odyssey has some problems, but the Honda line is a quality product. The one negative that all Hondas share is road noise. I guess they don't feel the American consumer puts much value in this aspect of a car. I do and it may persuade me to look elsewhere in the future.
  • Options
    lumanskilumanski Member Posts: 39
    dcrisler............. I got to witness the snow & ice too! Unfortunately we have not bought our EX yet. Which dealer did you get yours from? Also, I saw you got yourself an S-2000. I'll wait til I log-off to breakdown in jealosy!!

email darin.luman@brannforbes.com
  • Options
    east489east489 Member Posts: 8
    We are considering the Honda Odyssey.
    Can anyone share prices they paid in the State of Michigan .
    What dealers would be the best ones to call?
    Everyone seems to speak highly of the Odyssey - anyone having buyers remorse and why?
    Does the OD come with Daytime Running Lights?
    Any Comments on the ABS,EBD,TCS for the Michigan weather conditions?
    To cut cost we are considering the LX verse EX, power sliding doors just don't seem to turn me on. However; I am wondering if they are easy to open over a period of time for the wife to handle with no problems.
    Is the 2nd seat really easy to take out. I have to haul some stuff up north every other weekend for a remodeling work on our place, etc ..Tools and odd ball building supplies...... Take up light furn when I do not feeling like loading the trailer... etc.
    All help would be appreciated. If I have missed anything else, please just add it in - on things to be watchful of- or helpful hints.
    Thanks
  • Options
    carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Odyssey middle seats are VERY easy to take out and replace. We ordered the LX as we do NOT want power sliding doors nor a power seat. The price difference was not an issue with us as the EX extra cost is returned with extra value at resale.
    Can the Odyssey be improved? Yes. But not without raising the prices commensurately. Rather than be concerned about paying MSRP, look at all minivans. After a person closely compares all minivans, the question is: "How can Honda include so many nice items at such a low price on the Odyssey?" I like our GC Dual Zone, Trip Computer, padded arm rests. BUT...the Odyssey is a better buy at MSRP than most vans are with a BIG discount off MSRP.
    I have read the Odyssey forums for almost 2 years and the only buyers remorse I have noticed is the rare person who by the stroke of bad luck got one of the few Odysseys that had a problem. And in those cases, Honda has bent over backwards to correct the problem.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I got mine from M & M in Kalamazoo. MSRP with no add ons. The Honda dealer in Lansing is not worth going to. I know I live there. They will put you on a long list and you take what ever color comes in when your number is up. If you don't like it go somewhere else. Thats what they told me, and I did. I also told them if I like the Honda maybe I will replace my other car later on but since the other Hondas aren't in demand you can get a discount but I won't ever do business with them. Also there service dept. leaves a lot to be desired. Looks out of the 50's.
  • Options
    acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    Gas weighs 6 pounds per US gallon. So that's 120 pounds. Water weighs about 8 pounds, which is why gas floats on water. That's why private pilots can easily check for water in the gas by draining a few ounces from the bottom of the tanks--if water comes out, there's trouble in River City!
  • Options
    mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    I understand your frustration with Honda over this incident, but your comments suggest the same thing would not have happened if you owned a domestic car. If you had a Chevy, Pontiac or Caddy that turned out to be a lemon, do you think GM would provide you with a new vehicle without a fight? In that respect, all carmakers are the same, aren't they? That's why we have lemon laws.
  • Options
    fencepostfencepost Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know where I can find out about warranties for Honda's registered in Germany? It's a US vehicle, but we will be here 3 years and have been told the warranty is shortened to 24 months/24,000 miles for Internationally registered Hondas. Thanks for your help in advance!
  • Options
    mictjmictj Member Posts: 3
    The website is back up! Free shipping!

www.hondapartsforyou.com

I ordered the crago tray, it came within 10 days at a great price!

Enjoy!
  • Options
    cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    http://www.honda.ca/models/odyssey_benefits.asp

This is one of the most informative links on Odyssey technical info I've found, and answered a few of my questions-
    1) They claim the 4-ring shell design offers rollover protection
    2) Engine does share some design with 3.0L Accord V6
    3)VTEC kicks in extra valves at 3300 RPM
    4)ABS is a 3-channel setup (both rear wheels operate at the same time)

And another shameless plug to my site for anyone who wants to see Odyssey/Minivan safety information and how the new 2001 foglights look.
    http://www.caviller.com
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    If you want the Traction Control (and I'd recommend it strongly in Michigan), you'd best get the EX, since it's not available on the LX. I just used my 99EX last week in Holland's +70" of snow in December; and it cruised through it all just fine. In fact, it stayed on the road between Holland and Grand Rapids when more than one 4WD SUV was seen bottomed on the snow and spinning their wheels in the median; and the Ody driver (me) lives in Georgia, where we don't normally have to deal with that stuff.
  • Options
    sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    Like post #563, there's a couple of things I wondered about before I make a move on an Odyssey. It seems I'll get more honest and correct answers here than at a Honda dealership.

1. Can the third, "magic" seat be easily REMOVED if you don't need it and want to use the cargo bay space?
    2. Are the Odd's equipped with daytime running lights?

The Odd is my first choice so far, but I am disappointed that Odd color choices are so uniformly ugly, the reliability isn't up to Honda's other products, and the gas mileage doesn't even match my old '85 Voyager (albeit a 4 cylinder). I also find it incredible that NO van has 4 wheel disc brakes! Why are we still driving with rear drum brakes almost as primitive as 40 - 50 years ago?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    4rlane4rlane Member Posts: 8
    I received 2 recall notices for my 2000EX, one in June about a manufacturing defect in the sliding door latches and one in November about a dashboard instrument voltage regulator module that may overheat and self destruct. I have not responded to either since everything works perfectly but I might take the van in when I am back in Washington State this summer since I do not use or insure it November thru April.
    What is your opinion?
  • Options
    TCS is now standard on LX models for 2001. They also added manual driver seat height adjustments to the LX, among other changes.

If you live in SW Michigan, I can recommend Elliot-Demick Honda in Michigan City, IN. They sell at MSRP and include Cargo Tray and Splash Guards. I dealt with Rich via e-mail.

The Odyssey does not come with DRLs, unless you buy one imported from Canada.

We have had no problems with the LX manual doors. Very easy to operate. Unless you take them through a power wash when it's below freezing anyway:-)
  • Options
    Sure I would rather rear disc brakes in my Odyssey, but I would not have liked to have paid any more. Drum brakes have been advanced since 40 - 50 years ago and as long as the vehicle does a competant job at stopping, matters little to me what type of brakes are back there so long as they get the job done. And anyway, what about that internal combustion engine? Now that's over 1oo years old!
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I'm not sure if I understand your question. The third seat in the Ody folds into the floor making removal unnecessary. When folded down, you have a nice big flat cargo space, the same (although a bit bigger in the Ody) as with a DC minivan with the 3rd seat removed.
  • Options
    bobbob7bobbob7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1 yr old Odyssey, purchased new in Dec
    2000. Approx 20k miles. Have had it in to the
    dealer 4 times for the power sliding doors.
    They just can't seem to nail down the problems
    I continue to have; namely the door buzzing with
    the door closed and the door open lgt on the dash
    not illuminated.
    Otherwise it is an excellent vehicle.
    Wondering if anyone else is having auto sliding
    door problems with their Odyssey EX.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    There is a service bulletin out for your problem that they should be following for the repair. You may want to make sure they are doing that first. Then if they did use it you may want to ask if the same tech has been working on your car. Usally in the auto field they give the comeback(same problem/complaint as last trip) back to the tech that got paid on the warranty work the first time. Sometimes they get it right on the 2nd trip and sometimes not. If they don't then it may be time to ask for a differant tech or go to another dealer.We have had good success in the past few years with repairing these doors so you should be able to find someone who can help. If all else fails call Honda and ask them for the closest dealer with the best TSI rating in your area or ask your dealer to have the zone rep look at it.
  • Options
    grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "The Ody LX is now worth about $4300 to $5300 MORE than a 99 GC SE that had a MSRP of $3875. Even with a $4900 discount, the 99 GC SE would have lost $3200 to $4200 MORE than the 99 Ody LX-C"

There are very few used Odysseys avaialble simply because there are very few of them around, at least compared to the Chrysler Corp. output, and current production is also much smaller than the CC output. I wouldn't want to bet money that this price differential will hold up over the next 3 years.
  • Options
    carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Too many DC minivans are abused as rentals. DC will always have too many of these dogs on the market that pull down the value of a low mileage one owner loaded DC minivan. With everything on the Odyssey standard equipment, the Odyssey will always retain high percentage of value. Odyssey has just the right options to satisfy 99+ % of the population and at by far the best price.
  • Options
    JLAllenJLAllen Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into a new van. Can I get a sunroof in the Odyssey? How does the traction control work? Up to a certain speed? What happens if you see a sign that says Traction Tires Required? Does the traction control work in place of the chains?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    "Can I get a sunroof in the Odyssey?" Sunroof in Ody is strictly aftermarket. Heard of one person in these forums that got one. Anybody with any more input.

"How does the traction control work? Up to a certain speed?" Traction Control works by applying the brake to the spinning wheel. Works up to 18 mph as per manual.

"What happens if you see a sign that says Traction Tires Required?" I don't know - I've never seen one. I presume that means snow tires and nothing else.

"Does the traction control work in place of the chains?" Doubt it. Traction control reduces wheel spin allowing the drive wheel to bite. Ask your local constable.
  • Options
    SAME EXACT PROBLEM!! The dealer cannot figure it out either. Spoke to service manager and salesman, both helpful, promised to get Honda on the line next time the van is in the shop. Of course, this just assumes I have nothing else to do but bring the van in for them to try to fix this vexing door problem yet again.

Last night, we went out with 2 other couples, all of us own '00 EX Odysseys. The couple who drove had aftermarket leather - very nice add-on. Aside form some pesky door issues (2 of us), we are all overall satisfied and none of us would have gotten a van from the Big-3 and the Toyota is too small, Mazda much too small.
  • Options
    dadhidadhi Member Posts: 1
    Last week we had a snowstorm and I did not take my 2001 Ody LX out for almost a week. Yesterday I tried to start it and found that the battery had drained completely. I did not leave any lights on. My friend had a similar problem with his 2000 LX. Does anyone know if this is a common problem ? What is the solution ? Thanks
  • Options
    kidtaxikidtaxi Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of, or have possibly installed, a bike rack for their 2000 Odyssey? I am looking for one, but am finding it hard to find a particular brand. I would like one that attaches to the back WITHOUT using the trailer hitch...as I don't have a hitch and don't want to get one just for a bike rack. I would like one to attach to the back hatch door, if possible. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    From what I recall from these forums, some people have tried the hatch mount ones, but found that the plastic spoiler just isn't strong enough to support the rack.

I suggest going with a roof mount if you are physically able to do so. I plan on converting my Yakima to mount on the Ody's roof rails this spring. I have seen some with bikes on the roofs - sure looks like a long way up there.
  • Options
    drb9drb9 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had heated seats installed in their Odyssey? Where did they get the seat heater from? I just want heat, not leather. Suggestions?
  • Options
    ferg52641ferg52641 Member Posts: 10
    it's an excellent time to remove the splash guards.
    Three screws are all that hold each one in place
    and they are a snap to re-install. This permits
    you to remove the "gunk" that has accumulated
    between the guard and the vehicle body and then
    apply a coat of car wax to the area hidden by the
    guard.
  • Options
    mtran26mtran26 Member Posts: 1
    Does any know where I can buy a new Odyssey EX with Nav at MSRP or below in Washington? What is the lowest price you have seen it for? Thanks
  • Options
    rochester0rochester0 Member Posts: 2
    I had heated seats installed at the same time I had Classic Soft Trim leather installed. The seat heaters are manufactured by Check Corp. It was $300 for both front seats with dual temp heaters.
    We use them quite a bit since it gets pretty cold here in Western NY.
  • Options
    axfalkaxfalk Member Posts: 13
    I just picked up my Oddy 2001 LX and found out I am getting only 14 mpg driving 50/50 (city/highway). I am a bit surprised, as I had expected at least 18 mpg or even 20. What kind of mpg are you folks getting on your Oddys?

Thanks.

_ Alex
  • Options
    2001ody2001ody Member Posts: 17
    I tried a search to find this info, but nothing was found. If anybody knows where to find this info, please respond. Also, since I just picked up my 2001 LX, is there a site where I can browse all the recall info. Thanks.
  • Options
    cgjoecgjoe Member Posts: 1
    Had a great experience with David McDavid Honda off the Gulf Freeway in Houston. Salespersons were excellent. Price was $100 more than Goodson Honda but did not require a "non-refundable" deposit which made me shy away from Goodson Honda. Ask for David or Kelly in the Internet sales department (713-948-1900).
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Links to safety and recall issues can be found here:

Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, and Other Good Stuff

Also, check out the recent posts over in Honda Odyssey Problems VII.

Steve_
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    axfalkaxfalk Member Posts: 13
    I just picked up my Oddy 2001 LX and found out I am getting only 14 mpg driving 50/50 (city/highway). I am a bit surprised, as I had expected at least 18 mpg or even 20. What kind of mpg are you folks getting on your Oddys?

Thanks.

_ Alex
  • Options
    binkybarnesbinkybarnes Member Posts: 69
    buster baxter (dave84) and others, thanks for the info on how much a full tank of gas in the ody weighs...since the gas gauge is so inaccurate, i figured i'd just weigh my ody each time i wanted to know how much fuel i have left LOL! another just-out-of-curiosity question: since gas is lighter than water, how do auto engineers design gas tanks so that all the gas in the tank can be used but without drawing out the water, which, presumably would be at the bottom? and, wouldn't simply putting a few baffles inside the tank solve the sloshing problem?

alex, my 2001 ody ex with 4000 miles has never gotten less than 19 mpg combined city/highway, even with the current oxygenated fuels (shocking...i was expecting a MAJOR dip). on average, we get about 21-22mpg with regular 87 octane.

now, anyone see francine frensky?

-binky barnes
  • Options
    kiwi11kiwi11 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know if these will be offered on the Odyssey anytime soon?

Thanks much!!
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    They do not put heated seats with cloth seats do to a fire hazard.
  • Options
    follenroadfollenroad Member Posts: 2
    I am still very disappointed in my car's gas mileage, after 1200 miles. Others have posted that the MPG will increase after a few thousand miles, but the joy of owning and driving my Odyssey is diminished by the horrible mileage so far. Average for me is l4 MPG with mostly suburban driving. I would not have purchased this car if I had known what poor gas mileage it gets. I find it hard to believe the other posts of 20+ MPG for city/hwy driving. I am one who criticizes my neighbors for buying SUVs for their bad environmental statement, and now I am one of "them". I want my old Volvo wagon back!
  • Options
    I wouldn't think you'd ever see standard side airbags in an Odyssey. Odyssey already gets 5-star side protection without them. No need for the added expense or complexity, not to mention the debatable negative issues relating to any airbags.

Now a curtain-style head/chest airbag would be a nice feature to see. These not only offer added head protection, but can also protect in rollovers, from flying glass and prevent ejection.

I thought I read that Accords now have the "Smart" dual-force front airbags, it would be nice to see those in Odyssey as well.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The 5 star rating is only applicable if the vehicle is involved in a collision with a (lower) 3500 pound car; that's what the NHTSA uses in their tests. A collision with a pickup truck/SUV/minivan would have different results since the seat height advantage that the passengers have (in an accident with a car) is not present. Side impact airbags would help dramatically to reduce injuries to the chest/thorax in such an accident.

Notice that the Acura MDX already has the front side airbags. Hopefully Honda will add them to the Odyssey (at least for competitiveness) for MY2002.

Curtain airbags may only help in an accident only if they're hooked up to an altitude sensor (that can detect if the vehicle is about to rollover and deploy the airbags). This is a late availability feature (about half way through the model year) for the 2002 Ford Explorer; not doubt it will help a little with the currently tarnished image of the Explorer. Curtain airbags are no substitutes for seatbelts, or a strong roof structure though. The last I heard, Ford was still only doing dynamic tests (only using computer simulations and not actual crash tests) to test the strength of the roof and roof pillars.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    bumblebumble Member Posts: 1
    After 2600 miles in my 2001 Odyssey EX purchased in November, I observe the following:

1. Mileage is very dissapointing at just under 20mpg (Mostly Highway miles on a 1200 mile trip). Even with 35lbs. of air in the tires. I hope it improves with time. I was counting on 24-25 highway (like the sticker said).

2. The gas gauge is USELESS! It registers 1/2 tank after only about 120 miles (6 Gallons) and registers Empty with 7+ Gallons left in the tank. I typically never put more than 15 gallons in the 20 gallon tank at a fillup. On my recent trip through Pennsylvania, I drove more than 100 miles with the gauge pegged on Empty (to test my theory and to my wife's dismay) and still only put 17 gallons in at fillup. This is VERY ANNOYING especially combined with the miserable gas mileage. The low fuel light turns at about 250 miles range and the gauge reads dead Empty at about 320 miles range. Pathetic!

3. The interior driver and passenger door handles squeak like cheap plastic.

4. The tires really are very loud on concrete roads (Michelin Symmetry tire).

5. The CD player skips quite a lot (even on minor bumps).

6. The transmission is very slow to downshift (especially when cold).

7. Windshield washer squirters are very weak. They can't spray above the lower 1/3 of the windshield when going over 30mph. This makes cleaning the windhield very difficult, especially on salty roads.

Other than that, it's quite a nice van. Very spacious, smooth riding, great handling, good acceleration from a smooth and quiet engine. Quite a nice driving position with a great view of the road. I love the 'magic' seat!

Anyone with similar experiences?
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Your engine is still really new, so I'd expect fuel economy to improve a little as the engine gets broken in further. Also note that cold weather can really worsen fuel economy on all vehicles, not just the Odyssey. If you live in an area that has a special winter blend of petrol, that could contribute to the lower fuel economy.

WRT the tire noise, I believe the Michelin Symmetrys themselves are good tires. However, it's the (small) amount of sound dampening that allows the sound to get into the cabin. I believe other owners have commented on road and tire noises in the past. This is further amplified with the large interior acting like an echo chamber. Perhaps you should try aftermarket sound insulation? The Dynamat product, while pricey, seems to work extremely well. Also, I find that concrete roads, in general, are a lot noisier to travel on.

WRT the inaccurate fuel gauge, your fuel sending unit may be defective. I think this was another issue mentioned in the past. Perhaps someone else can elaborate?

WRT the windshield washers, the jets can probably be adjusted to point higher up the windshield. Stick a pin tip into the washer nozzles and try to point them higher, to the positions of your liking.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Odyssey, MPV and PT Cruiser were the first vans tested:

Press Release

Steve_
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    jaredmajaredma Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this discussion board, thanks to all for all of the helpful info. Just picked up my second Odyssey about 4 day's ago, A silver EX. The first was an 2000LX and had many problems with it. About the gas milage question, I was getting about 22mpg on the freeway - Had 6200 miles on it.
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    From the NHTSA site referenced above: "The Rollover Resistance Rating is an estimate of the risk of rolling over if a person has a single vehicle crash" (emphasis is mine). These are calculated values and there is a lot of controversy of how relatively useful these numbers are; many assumptions are made. NO actual tests are planned by the NHTSA.

From the NHTSA Understanding The Star Rating For Rollover Crashes:

"The Rollover Resistance Ratings are based on Static Stability Factor, which is essentially a measure of how top heavy a vehicle is. The Rollover Resistance Ratings of vehicles were compared to 220,000 actual single vehicle crashes, and the ratings were found to relate very closely to the real-world rollover experience of vehicles. Based on these studies, NHTSA found that taller, narrower vehicles, such as sport utility vehicles (SUVs), are more likely than lower, wider vehicles, such as passenger cars, to trip and roll over once they leave the roadway. Accordingly, NHTSA awards more stars to wider and/or lower vehicles. The Rollover Resistance Rating, however, does not address the causes of the driver losing control and the vehicle leaving the roadway in the first place."

Unfortunately, people will generally not read far enough and will take undue comfort or suffer unnecessary heartburn over a guess.