Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    "Is the front console color coordinated with the interior color of the van?"

It only comes in black, it has the same appearance as the section around the radio on the dash.

"Can the front floor mat be removed after the front console is installed? The pictures show it being on top of the center section of the floor mat"

It can't on the one we have. I have a call into Honda to find out if that is the way it is supposed to be or if there is a fix for that.

"Do you know what company makes the video screen for the system?"

I didn't see anything marked on it and Honda won't tell us who supplies them with the parts for the accessories.

"Can you get just the video screen?"

They don't list it seperatly yet. Usually it takes several months or more before they offer individual parts from a setup. Even then it may be somewhat difficult to hook up to another system, the connections on all the components are uniquely Honda.

-Trevor
  • jlr7jlr7 Member Posts: 9
    Any comments on how the system looks once installed and more importantly how does the image on the video screen look.

Thanks again, JLR7
  • patel68patel68 Member Posts: 16
    S.F. Bay Area. What should I expect to pay? Some of my friends told me the car is overpriced, but my wife insists on it, and I want her to be happy. Edmunds says the TMV is $29,950. Can this be right?
    "Any comments on how the system looks once installed and more importantly how does the image on the video screen look."

We were quite impressed. The parts department manager is set to get one installed in his van next week.

I was also concerned about how the image would look and if it would be bright enough to show up. I was a bit worried about just how well it would look and work once installed but it really did surprise me. The picture at: http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/odyssey/ives3.jpg was one I took and I even had the flash on. It wasn't the highest quality tape, just an old safety training one they had. The screen folds back far enough that in the second row I didn't have to lean my head back to see it like I thought I would. You can select either theater format 16:9 aspect ratio or conentional 4:3 aspect ratio. In the 4:3 ratio it doesn't use the full width of the screen. I'm not real familiar with the different setting/uses for that. Overall the picture quality was quite clear and good.

The wireless headphones sound great.

It would be nice if the main unit was color matched, but it does match the black dash parts and overall fits in quite nicely and with the lid closed it doesn't stand out as being anything fancy. I was very worried that it wouldn't fit in and work very well so it was very nice to actually see one in person.

The display unit folds up nicely out of the way: http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/odyssey/ives5.jpg

-Trevor

• jlr7jlr7 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Trevor.

JLR
  • terrapinstterrapinst Member Posts: 4
    I went to price an Ody LX. Wanted single CD player and Wireless entry. They wanted $560 and $473 respectively which
    includes installation. On the Honda web site there prices for the CD is $349 installed $ 433 and the wireless $278 installed $ 292. That is a differnce of $308. The salesman wouldn't budge on the price. Only thing he said is that it
    comes with 3yr warranty. How much can warranty protection cost. The Honda website based there installation on $70/hrxnational installation time. The dealrship rate is $65/hr. This tells me it takes them about 3 hrs to install each
    upgrade. $308 may not be something to quibble about but it seems I'm getting gouged somewhat. Any comments
    would be great.
  • acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    Re purchasing the Hondacare warranty: any dealer can sell it. Fair market Value is about $900 for the 7year/100K miles/zero deductible (7/100/0) warranty. What I did when I got the same reaction as you ("$1250 is our firm price,") was to troll this thread and print out the dealers named who will sell the Hondacare in the $900 range. I then went to the sales woman and said, "I am going to buy the Hondacare and I'll buy it from you for a fair price or buy it elsewhere, but I WILL buy it." She took the list "to the manager" and came back quoting $925. I said, "sold.". It was as simple as that.

You can try to see if they'll sell you the warranty--call Janis Pohanka at Pohanka H. of Fredericksburg, VA. 540-898-5201. Off Sunday and Tuesday. They also have an 800 number.

For the record, I have no connection w/any car dealer (I work for the feds in Washington, DC).
    That is how many of the dealers make their extra markup once the market has enough Odysseys that they can't just add it in a flat charge on the price. The last dealer I worked at wouldn't put a single accessory on the Odysseys for about the first year. Then just as the prices were starting to drop they'd load them up with accessories and mark the accessories up way beyond the list price. They'd charge almost a grand for the alarms.
    I think that often times customers are ready for haggling on the price of the car but haven't done their homework like you did on the accessories so they don't know how much they should cost. In my opinion that isn't a good way to get repeat customers because sooner or later they are likely to stumble across what the accessories should have cost them.

-Trevor
  • amz997amz997 Member Posts: 61
    Dealer in pA is offering LX for 24340 + tax + 125(title) and Ex for 26840 + tax + 125(title).
    The van would be delivered in July.

Is the extra 2500 worth for the EX?

2 of my friends had problem with the power sliding door.. Is the Ex still worth it?
    thanks
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    I have an EX. You get a lot of useful extras for that 2,500. Since you will have the car a while I say it is worth it. I think the power door is not much of a problem in the 2001 models. Reliability moved up in Consumer Reports from the 99 to the 00 models and the 01 should be better yet for the Odyssey.
    I have two appointments tomorrow. Wish me luck!

The phone calls only netted these two visits in the S.F. Bay Area. Some dealers sound as if it's a bother having to tell someone what they will sell the Odyssey for.
  • lookdadlookdad Member Posts: 2
    Trevor, another question re i-VES: does it come with a built-in TV tuner? Other vendors such as Rosen have this feature which is maybe the only addl feature that i would like to have. If not, anyone know if and how easy it would be to add-on an OEM tuner? Also, can I purchase addl headphones (need 4!)? Finally, do you offer installation if I were to drive up there? Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Making a Marketable Minivan

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Before I bought my Odyssey I went to the Edmunds and MSN web sites to look at prices. For the accessories, that the dealer sells you, they don't list the prices. So when I got the Splash Guards I took the dealers word for what the price should be. I asked Trevor afterwards, what the MSRP for them should be, and found out I had paid $100 over that. So that does leave me with less trust with the dealer.

I was quoted about 1700 for the 7/100/00 warranty and when I said I had been on the web and could get it for 900, he said right away, OK, I will give it to you for that. The only problem is when I read it over, I figured out, it was not a Honda Care warranty. I took it back and got a Honda Care.

Bottom line, "Buyer Beware."
  • vmamidanna1vmamidanna1 Member Posts: 3
    Try to get it from LA Area. It will work out cheaper for you.
    I bought from valleyhi.com in LA area 3 months ago at MSRP when Dealers were selling in SF area @ 3000 premium.
  • vand1vand1 Member Posts: 7
    I just paid deposit for a EX with Nav. Color
    is dark green. The price is exactly sticker price,
    ie. 28840.

I need to find good financing plan. I applied
    via the dealer's finance department. No result
    yet. What is possible best rate these days?
    I saw Ad on Internet about 6.9% rate. Any better
    rate? I think I have a perfect records.

Can I do this: take some home equality loan,
    and use the money to pay Odyssey? I think current
    home equality loan has better rate than 6.9%
    and you can have tax implications.

Finally, how soon do I expect to finish the
    loan process without trouble for my Odyssey
    purchase. Just need some idea on normal situation.
    6.9% sounds awfully good. Check out our TMV Finance Rate Estimator and don't overlook the "Personalize My Rates" calculator.

Steve
    Host
  • frank2001frank2001 Member Posts: 13
    Steve,

I thought that was a very lame, poorly researched article. I did a search for a year before I bought my SUV last week and I could have written a better than that. First of all, jury is still not fully out as to who has the best minivan...for 28K or higher range it some including AAA and one of the major auto magazine's claim its Chrysler..it offers entertainment system and Leather seat which most family with kids enjoy along with side impact air bags..some claim its Odyssey because it offers folding rear seat and good crash test result...The article talked about Fords conversation mirror..well if he had done his homework he should have known that Nissan has offered it for two years now..also prices were not mentioned..which is a major factor for buying minivan as oppose to SUV..Why should I spend 29K for Odyssey..when I can get Expedition with the same options?...bottom line...Minivan need to be much cheaper to sway buyer to their Camp...MPV's and Quest seem to be the best deal for their price range...high end could go to Toyota, Honda or Chrysler..its a toss up depending on your judgment.
    Patel,

Here is prices I got as of March 30th from different bayarea dealers. Not just Honda but 3 minivans.

Honda EX with NAV $29,9003 weeks wait..Anderson Honda

Mazda MPV ES....$26,200 Fremont Mazda
    Nissan Quest GXE...19,800 after $1500 rebate.
    Stevens creek nissan

I ended up buying Ford Expedition...for 29K. For the prices and options...If it wasn't for trailing my new boat...I would have bought Nissan for that price..its heck of a deal.
  • vand1vand1 Member Posts: 7
    It is very hard to do so since there are many, many factors here. But, let me try.

Consider this case: Odyssey vs. MPV. In our area, I think we can get MPV LX for 22K with 0% finance from Mazda. Say, you want to keep the car for 5 years. And you sale the car after the end of 5th years. I think a fair assumption could be: at the time, the market value of MPV is 40%. So, the 5 years total cost for MPV is about 14K + (2K for tax).

Now, turn to the car I bought (just put deposit), Odyssey EX with Nav. Plus state tax, the total cost is about 32K. I assume I have to pay 7% interest rate. So, in the five year, I would pay 35K. Then, again, the fair market value for Odyssey after 5 years could be 60%. So, in the 5 years, my total cost for Odyssey is about 35K- 29K*60% = 17.6K.

Please criticize the figures. Speically, the two assumptions of 40% and 60%. But, if this is true. I think the true cost of MPV and Odyssey is not that different. This is one motivation for me to go to Odyssey. Personally, I like MPV's handling. But, my wife really need a Nav. I even considered to by MPV and Radio Shack's GPS guide system. Too bad, the system has no voice instruction (cost $700). I think the Nav will become more and more popular later. So, to have a Nav in the car will increase resale value.
  • macodymacody Member Posts: 18
    Hey all >> long time no post!

Have had our Odyssey EX since July 31 '99; now have 44,000 miles and things are going just fine. Transmission good, doors fine; stereo acceptable (but would like to replace speakers); still runs smooth. Continue to hope for 200K miles before we're through.

Just wanted everyone to know some Odys run like clockwork.

mac
  • dljrphdljrph Member Posts: 4
    hi all- haven't been around for a while, and looks like lots has changed. my 99 ody ex is running like a champ. just lovin it. would still like to improve the speakers, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

by the way- anybody know if you can still display more than 20 posts at a time. used to be able to display all of them, but don't see that option anymore. any help would be apprecitated. dave
    Yes, you usually get the best interest rates if you do it via a home equity loan. That is the only way you can take the interest off your income tax. One place to go is the Quicken site. There are a number of sites on the web to get a low cost loan. Or you can go to a Credit Union to get a home equity loan. Say you get a loan for 9% and your combined Fed and State tax rate is 33%. Your actual rate is 9-33% or 6%.

The next best place is often a Credit Union, for one of their standard auto loans.
    Check out this message for a great rate that shelleya got on an Odyssey:

shelleya "Honda Odyssey-Prices Paid VI" Apr 7, 2001 10:01pm

Steve
    Host
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Has anyone had to replace their front bumper? I didn't either until the wife got home from the store. Now I need a new front bumper for our 01 Odyssey. Does anyone have a cost.
  • masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    runs about $350 i'm pretty sure. But it comes black and has to go though the full gamit of proper auto painting procedures. It will be between $600-$700 before your all done with it.
  • arbarnhartarbarnhart Member Posts: 23
    We are thinking of getting an aerodynamic luggage carrier for the Ody. Any models people love/hate? Our biggest concerns are amount of space, noise and (no) overhang.
    It's almost exactly what I found. That's not a bad price for the EX with navigation, but Anderson Honda didn't seem to have an EX for me so they wouldn't talk price on the phone. The two dealers I visited did not help either. vmamidana1 gave the address of an L.A. dealer, I may try that area later, but I really don't want to go 400 miles for a car or spend too much time shopping, I've lost two days already and I'm offering MSRP! Incredible.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    How could Odyssey have forgotten two of those ten required features and still ranked first? The ever useful? conversation mirror, and the reverse sensing system?
    I just link 'em, I don't write 'em :-)

Steering wheel radio controls would be on my list, for example, plus "real" rain gutters.

Steve
    Host
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    Interesting topic to me because I am currently pondering purchase of Oddyesy Vs MPV. No doubt the Odyssey will have the higher resale value. Another factor is that with the MPV you get to keep about $10k difference in purchase price. With conservative investments you could get around 6% per year and that would be in ball park of $3,000 over 5 years. That brings the difference to closer to $6k.
    Well..I can see 20% spread on depreciation and market value if we were comparing Mazda 626 with Honda accord, but between Odyssey and MPV the range is 5-10 percent...can't be more as they are both popular...One thing you forgot to take into account is that once supply meets demand at the end of the year..you automatically loose whatever you paid over invoice which could be as hight as 4K...this is what I call "Extortion money" that you will have write off..so the differences would be lot higher between owning Odyssey and MPV in 5 years.

Patel,
    Buying Odyssey in Bayarea is not a good idea as you will be paying lot more than its worth (minimum of 1-2K)over MSRP...you might as well fly out of state or buy the alternatives. If you have no more than 5 people in your household get the cheaper MPV or Quest...if you have more than 5 you might as well..buy big SUV like me for the same price...
  • slockoslocko Member Posts: 111
    Is it me or does it seem like the the Expedition really doesn't seem to have more room on the inside than the Ody. There is virturally no cargo room in the back. Removing that seat everytime you go to costco would be a pain.

The 3rd row seems very small and hard to get into. I would only get an expedition if I had 2 kids or less. 3 kids and I would go with an Ody.
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    Beware big brother and the power that drives them. :) If your still reading this page? You are right you were deleted.
  • fast93serfast93ser Member Posts: 11
    Did they kill off another post from someone? What was it about?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I hate it when I miss flame posts like that!!
    I have a wife and a child, but ODY is good very good. :))
    Because now we are ordered back to the regularly scheduled entertainment. :)) Get in step!! Am I out of line or what?
  • dave84dave84 Member Posts: 75
    I certainly wouldn't describe the site you refer to as a "competing forum". I get the impression that it is only Edmunds' paranoia that makes it a competition. Try giving your members the benefit of the doubt, and respect our intelligence and our right to choose. You know, it IS possible to visit and participate in more than one forum on a given subject, without any loss to Edmunds or any other site.

Dave

P.S. Your less than kind description of the host at the "competing forum" was uncalled for, even if it was in jest.
    er, actually I was referring to yours truly. Kind of a running joke around here (I think from the Aztek board, iirc)....

Steve
    Host
  • cnybrocnybro Member Posts: 29
    I occasionally ride in a friends Expedition. Front seats are great. Middle seats are marginal and the back seat is strictly for kids - very uncomfortable. Also, there is very little room behind the third seat - can't even fit a large ice chest in the back like I can in my Odyssey. Unless you need to tow or haul 8 people around, I just don't see what the attraction is to this truck.

Just my $.02
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    Please e-mail me at gess@chevron.com in regard to marjoe and Odyfiles.
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    I visit a number of forums and websites on the Odyssey, moreso while I was purchasing. For many users, information is passed among them freely, generating more activity and expertise on each one. Sadly, I know of at least one excellent contributor who has been banned at Edmunds for posting such links. He had previously posted significant helpful maintenance and DIY information on various Edmunds Odyssey forums. His expertise is now lost here. Ironically, I think there are a number of others who no longer visit here, or visit less often, because of this issue. I have also found myself in the position of wanting to post a link to a specific post I made on another forum to answer a question, avoiding retyping the same information. As that would also be a violation, I reluctantly leave some questions unanswered.

No offense to Steve/Drew/Karen if they were involved in this issue, as I've personally found them to be good moderators.
  • reed57reed57 Member Posts: 3
    I gotta agree with caviller. Obscenities, yeah throw em out, but info exchange is good. I visit three Ody sites. I has all been positve exchanges.

Carry on.
    Why can www.acuramdx.org be referenced in the SUV section under Acura MDX - Part V, but www.honda-odyssey.com and http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hondaodysseyownersclub references in the Ody forums are immediately deleted and the members that posts them are banned?
    hmmm, since you're a "moderator" of one of those other forums, I suspect you know the history better than I do.

I think there have been two members in SUVs/Vans who have been "invited to leave" since I've been hosting here with Drew the last 4 or 5 months. People come and go, but banning is certainly a last resort. This isn't a host's playground, but a community of members, and the members pretty much keep things on track around here.

cheers!

Steve
    Host
    "This isn't a host's playground, but a community of members, and the members pretty much keep things on track around here."

I totally agree. You and I privately emailed when I first started my site. Blatantly spamming these forums shouldn't be tolerated. But, I don't think posts that refer to another site as a reference should be deleted.

Heck, I have a link to Edmunds.com on my "Links" page. :)

I originally had the URL for my site in my signature, but later moved it to my profile.
  • imhip2imhip2 Member Posts: 30
    I own an Ody and this Christmas when we flew to Calgary I had rented a 2001 Tahoe (8 pass) and let me tell you it was a good thing my in-laws met us at the airport because there was no way I was fitting two adults and four kids and our luggage into that Big $53,000 Cdn SUV. The Suburban might (not alot bigger) have done the job but.... they didn't have one when I booked. On the way back after Christmas we needed the Tahoe and a Grand Cherokee to get us and our stuff to the airport. Back home at the Toronto airport or Ody swallowed up all six of us, the two large hockey bags, 4 suitcases, and two large boxes without needing to put a thing on the roof. I was amazed! The best thing about the Ody is that space where the seat goes. Before this I was thinking of getting a Suburban. Now I think the Ody equals the Suburban in interior cargo space and the Ody rear seat is definitly more comfortable than the one in the Tahoe or Expedition unless you are a kid and think it is neat that your feet touch the ground when you sit in these seats.

I believe the Expedition falls somewhere between the Tahoe (short) Suburban (long). From my experience I find that I can load my Ody up with as much as the BIG SUV and still park my Ody in the garage when I get home. That Christmas trip sure changed my perception of the BIG SUV's.
  • lumanskilumanski Member Posts: 39
    IMO... I believe one of the only viable reasons someone would want an SUV (say Expedition, Suburban) is if they got 4WD (and really used it in snow climates or country living). (towing would be 2nd too I guess) There really isn't any other real good reasons to own one. I'm a 30-something and most my age would die of embarrassment if they had to buy a "minivan". To keep from this embarrassment, they spend too much on gas guzzling, truck-like driving, tempted to roll-over, hard to get the back seat out SUV's. My Odyssey arrives this Friday and after over a year of researching it against several vehicles (even SUV's) the answer always came back to the Odyssey. My friends chuckle at me in good nature but I'm proud to have purchased an Odyssey. Last but not least, its a HONDA... enough said.
    Well..I didn't mean to generate this many responses..but in Bayarea CA, I was quoted Over 29K for Odyssey with NAV and frankly I don't believe any minivan is worth that kinda money...Hell.I buy a full size conversion van for that price..but anyway..for same price..I got 4x4 Expedition which as better towing ( as the last message stated). I was living in a flat area of the country I would consider the Minivan but after test driving the Expedition...It just has lot more juice to get on the CA, Highways.. Also at anyone time, I won't be carrying more than 6 people in my SUV...so space is no issue..I have not ran across anything that has good third row seating...including Odyssey..the person in the middle is still uncomfortable on the last row!!..Now if you can get the same van for invoice price then I can live with its defeciencies.