Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• Options
    sz1sz1 Member Posts: 31
    I am planning a mini van purchase. Choosing between Town & Country and Odyssey. Why does the T&C get a bad rap ???? please any info on the two that would help me make up my mind would be greatly appreciated. I hear so much about the Honda Tranny noise, it is scarry

Steve
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Well considering it's a Chrysler product, customer service tends to be lacking. The Chrysler vans have been known to have trannys that self destruct, sure you can keep replacing them but what happens after the warranty runs out? As for the Ody tranny, the noise is only present when shifting into R from D4, and sometimes you don't even hear it.

Many people ask then, how can we consider the Ody better than the T &C with all these tranny problems? Well, if you notice, the tranny problems only come up in certain units, whereas tranny disintegration is a FACT for DC vans. But don't just take my word for it, go to several mechanics (non dealer) and ask. They're the ones who deal with this stuff day in and day out.

It also depends on what you expect from your van. If you want luxury go with the T &C but don't plan on keeping it past 100K (if you're lucky). For our family's case, we keep our cars at least past 150K miles. (By the way, some people are proud to say that they have no problems for 70K miles, well, I believe that a decent car shouldn't have any at least till 100K). Good luck in your decision.

Druce
    2001 EX GG, 2500 miles
    1983 Civic, 170,000 miles
    1986 Toyota pickup, 185,000 miles
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder, 121,000 miles
  • Options
    damore1damore1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks alot for taking the time to explain everthing in detail for me. I do appreciate that very much.
    I'm just not sure what you're last sentence meant. if I bring it to the dealer for replacement, they're going to put in a remanufactured tranny? If this is true, then I guess what you're saying is it's ok and wise to live w/ the clunk, BUT DO have it replaced if it ends up with a loud bang. Do the clunks eventually progress to bangs, or is that not the case always. What's confusing to me is that if this is "normal" for Honda trannys, why do many people report that they've never heard a clunk.
    Anyhow, thanks again, and DTKWOK- I couldn't agree w/ you more that this is still THE van.

Dave
  • Options
    damore1damore1 Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please check these discussions too:

Honda Odyssey vs Chrysler minivans

Chrysler Town & Country vs Honda Odyssey

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    draytm01draytm01 Member Posts: 19
    Is there any way to turn off the NAV disclaimer that makes you click "ok" every time you turn on the van???? It's getting annoying. Thanks - Mark
  • Options
    acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    Agree 100%. NEVER NEVER shift into reverse when the vehicle is moving forward. Same rule when moving backwards--NEVER NEVER shift into drive when the vehicle is moving backwards.

The mechanical strains on the tranny are horrendous, and nothing good can come of violating those simple principles. Just stop your lovely new Ody and save your tranny.
  • Options
    odyfanodyfan Member Posts: 40
    "I'm just not sure what you're last sentence meant. if I bring it to the dealer for replacement, they're going to put in a remanufactured tranny?"

It is stated in the Honda TSB A00-065 that replacement Tranny is a re-manufactured unit. However, the TSB also describes the reverse engagement noise as normal and instructs the dealer not to replace the tranny unnecessarily.

"If this is true, then I guess what you're saying is it's ok and wise to live w/ the clunk, BUT DO have it replaced if it ends up with a loud bang. Do the clunks eventually progress to bangs, or is that not the case always"

As long as you don't abuse your tranny by shifting between D4 and R while the van is moving, and replacing genuine Honda ATF as scheduled, your tranny should last for the life of your vehicle. Again, We can only predict its reliability. it is a man made mechanical device after all:) However, I do know quite many people with high mileages Honda and Acura without any auto tranny problems. The problematic LOUD bang described in TSB are due to reverse selector not fully engaged while the torque is applied to the drive train; it is as if you shift from R to D4 while the car is accelerated backward.

"What's confusing to me is that if this is "normal" for Honda trannys, why do many people report that they've never heard a clunk"

Different people perceive noise differently. Beside, if you have your radio on while shifting, you probably would not have noticed the noise either. I've posted here earlier for a survey of how many ody owners have heard the reverse engagement noises. Nobody seems to be interested! Oh well :)

DTKWOK,

I seem not be able to locate my ody service manual. darn! she must have something to do with it:)

Happy driving
  • Options
    ck55ck55 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone added airbags to lift up suspention for towing? Due to the disappearing third seat storage compartment receiver bottoms out at driveways and dips in the road. This is under normal load 3-4 passengers in back. any other suggestions before I scan back 2000 + posts. Other than that great van '99 w/35k mi.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know if I've plugged the 2001 video clip in the Additional Resources sidebar before but I think you guys who haven't seen it will like the review:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Yes, someone over in the yahoo club, honda odyssey owners club, named nemogira (sp?) has added airbags to his Ody. (He carries heavy DJ equipment around.) I'm considering installing a pair myself, the company he used was Airlift.

Druce
  • Options
    jenandyjenandy Member Posts: 2
    Hillside honda seems to be the best dealer in the area. They will give you msrp and a realistic delivery date 6-8 weeks. Every other dealer on Long Island quote 3-6 months with no guarantees and most of them try to get $1000 plus over list.
  • Options
    hj_houdinihj_houdini Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to put a bike rack (Yakima, Thule, or Saris) on my 2000 EX.

Has anyone attached one of these racks to the factory side rails? How many bikes can you carry in this configuration? I need to carry 5 bikes. I'm a little concerned about doing this, however, since it seems like a large wind gust could rip the rack right out of the van.

How about attaching a rack to the internal rain gutters? Any problems with rain leakage? How about paint scratches on the inside of the door?

Also, does anyone know the load rating for the factory side rails?

Any advice in attaching a rack that can carry 5 bikes to my van would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    That's a disclaimer so that Honda won't get sued for not warning you not to fiddle around with the Navigation system controls while you are driving at the same time.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    The company's URL is:

http://www.airliftcompany.com

They also have an 800 number: 800-248-0892. They have a set for the Ody. You must purchase through one of their local dealers. The web site can provide all the info you need.
  • Options
    april92april92 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey EX. I have had alot of problems with the electric dual sliding doors. can be going down the road and the buzzing noise comes on as if the doors are opened and they are not. I have also had alot of problems with the doors being stuck and cannot open them. I have had my Honda for 1 year and it has been in the shop 9 times just for the doors. The Honda service kept said there are alot of problems with the doors and they are still trying to figure out how to fix the doors . We are in the middle of dealing with Honda consumer affairs and trying to get them to buy the van back.
  • Options
    The clunk in the transmission that people refer to when going from R to D4 dose this happen while van is standing still or moving, or BOTH?
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I don't have any clunk. Of course I come to a complete stop before changing gears.
  • Options
    Is this the same Drew known as "Aling" the posted frequently in the Pathfinder forum. If so, how's it going? Our Pathfinder is now history and the Odyssey is it's replacement. No problems with the PF, but just felt the Ody was a better overall package for our family. I notice that Phil47 also has a Ody as well as a PF.

As for the Nav disclaimer. Does your MB's ML have the disclaimer too? Can it be turned off?
  • Options
    rogerberkowitzrogerberkowitz Member Posts: 31
    We have the Saris 4 bike carrier, convertible to 5. So far we have only carried 4 bikes, but the rack is extremely sturdy, and I don't think we will have any problems when we add the 5th bike holder and the little guy's bike on there. And we have it mounted on a hidden hitch - 2" receiver.
  • Options
    For me, the clunk only happens when going from D4 to R and that only happens sometimes. BTW, I also make sure the vehicle is not moving when shifting into gears going in opposite directions. Of course some people don't notice it (i.e. playing the radio or CD).
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yup, that's me :-) Nice to see you here. Yes, the M-class has the same disclaimer and it cannot be deacitvated. In fact, I think just about all factory installed GPS units have similar disclaimers that require you to acknowledge just after startup.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Load limit on EX roof rack is 150lbs, LX is 100lbs.

Yakima DoubleCross Towers have a recommended load limit of 100lbs. Their fit kit recommends the 48" bars, which is limited to 4 bikes. You can go with wider bars, but you'll have to be careful when driving that you don't hit someone's skull, especially your own. Otherwise, you'll be on the Darwin Internet e-mail list for stupid things people did and got themselves killed.

Yakima MightyMount 1V(ertical) can only attach their ski carriers. When and if a 1H(orizontal) unit is out, you could then carry your bikes using their bike racks.

From my personal experience, mounting bikes on the roof of a SUV or van can be a struggle and you're bound to scratch your roof. It also reduces your clearance in tight garages. Go with a hitch mounted bike rack. There are a number that can load 4 to 5 bikes (all the 5 bike ones require an extension).
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    April,
    What state do you live in? We have had good success at fixing those doors and there are alot of options out there for repairing them.What has been done ,do you know?

trans noise,,
    If you hear the noise at a stand still then it most likely is a normal engagement noise.The other noise is a very loud scarry noise as if something just fell out, like the whole trans...
  • Options
    billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    From Smart Money magazine

"Meanwhile, Chrysler's third-row seats create a disturbing problem. Their headrests are so high that they greatly enlarge your blind spot, making it difficult to see cars behind you in adjoining lanes. After test-driving a Town & Country for a couple of days, I removed the third-row headrests for safety's sake."

"Bottom line: Chrysler's vision-blocking third-row headrests are a design flaw that, to my mind, keeps the company from regaining leadership in minivans."

The reviewer said he "didn't find the Odyssey
    at all noisy inside". The seats in the Odyssey "are okay but not nearly as comfortable as the Chrysler seats."

Link www.smartmoney.com You may have to wait up to a month for the article to appear at the link.
  • Options
    terrapinstterrapinst Member Posts: 4
    Ordered SS Ody 2001 4 weeks ago @ MSRP. The sales person originally said it will be two
    weeks. Then she said it will be the following Wednesday. Then she was going to check a
    sister dealership. Nothing. I really think they got the Ody in and sold it to another person
    above MSRP. When I negotiated the price they started $4000 above MSRP, I told them I
    would pay MSRP. Has anyone had this experience ? Also does anyone know how manufacturers allocate vans to dealerships.
  • Options
    billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    There have been some posts on this board which says the dealers know in advance the vehicles and colors they are going to get in. Also in advance what the vehicle ID number is, prior to shipment. I would contact Honda and ask them about that.

When I bought my Odyssey I was told they had no idea till they came in. I was told the wait would be about 2-3 months and it was 4 months. I paid MSRP for my 2000 EX. I have to wonder also if a vehicle came in and they sold to someone for above MSRP.

If I were to do it over I would find out what the dealer knows and when he knows it.
  • Options
    gc88gc88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have been reading the posting for several months. You have been a big help in my purchase. Thank you all.
    I purchased my 2001 GG EX thru United Buying Service in Queens. I placed my refundable deposit of $100. on Feb 20 with a 3 months wait. On April 23, I was given the VIN # and picked up my van on April 28. I paid $26,000. + $37. doc fee with no options. My experience with salesman Roy Dorn was excellent. Tell him Greg sent you.
    I would like to know when should I go for my first oil change. Also a good hitch that I can install myself.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    rogerberkowitzrogerberkowitz Member Posts: 31
    Actually, the Saris doesn't require an extension, only the purchase and easy installation of an addtional 'bat wing' as Saris calls it. That was the selling point for me and my family of 5.
  • Options
    95blue95blue Member Posts: 2
    Last evening I put down a deposit for an LX that is in transit. I am getting cold feet after reading about the vehicle's mechanical problems on this site. I was wondering if anyone has information about the 2002 model? Two previous messages mentioned that in the rumor mill there may be a slight
    freshening of the exterior, an small increase in horsepower, and maybe even the 5-speed automatic transmission. Can anyone confirm these rumors? After reading about the transmission problems I am willing to wait 6 months for the 5-speed automatic, (the Acura MDX is equipped with it and it is derived from the Odyssey chassis). Secondly does anyone know if Honda will make available side airbags in next year's model, (again the MDX is equipped with them)? I want it all and I'm willing to wait a few months for improved or additional equipment. Thanks in advance for any information.

95blue
  • Options
    ksapphireksapphire Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have an EX on order and am thinking about getting some dealer-added options. I would appreciate getting others experience on the following items: Fog lights: Are they worth it (~$490 for parts and labor)? Can you really seeing a good deal better in fog/rain or is the benefit just marginal? Full nose mask: Is it worth it? Does it hold up well to the weather? Any negatives to getting it? Splash guards: Are they effective? 6-disc in dash CD/cassette unit: How is the sound on this? I've heard the sound systems in Odysseys are not very good. I haven't found anything on who makes this unit. Does anyone have information/web site to read up on it? Also, what about preferences for in-dash vs. under the seat? Thanks for your comments!
  • Options
    acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    Your dealer gets a message from the factory with a number (not the VIN) when the unit is scheduled for production. Ask for that. During build the VIN is assigned to the vehicle and the factory sends another msg to the dealer. You can then ask for the VIN. I would take the switch only once; you're probably right that "your" van arrived and the dealer got MSRP + $1000 or more for an immediate sale. One bite at the apple. If the dealer drags on more, abandon them and go to an honest one. You should be able to get a commitment as I did.

On Nov 1, 2000, my dealer (Pohanka H. of Fredericksburg, VA) commited to sell me an EX to be delivered in January,'01. In early December, 2000, they said they had gotten the build number and it was scheduled to be built between Jan 5 and 15, 2001. On January 8 or so, they said they had gotten the VIN and the vehicle was scheduled to be shipped about Jan 15. It takes about 10 days to go from the factory in Canada to the Washington, DC area and get delivered to the dealer. It came in about January 28, and I took delivery on Jan 31. Dealers really want it off the lot asap because if it rolls over to the next month, it is not favorable in their allocation. Seems that Honda says to the dealer, "the more you sell, the more we'll give you."
  • Options
    patel68patel68 Member Posts: 16
    I had similar experiences to terrapinst in shopping for the Odyssey. Most of the dealers in my area were selling available cars for thousands over MSRP. After several frustrating experiences I tried the internet. In my case Priceline worked the best. The car they located was some distance from my home, but at a fair price. They also worked fast, only a few hours before I knew I bought a car. They admitted to me that my experience was unusually fast and it normally takes a day or so to find the car at your price.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Good to see you over here buddy. I love both my 2001 PF LE and my 2001 Ody EX. I would agree completely that the Ody is the best choice for a family (wife and 2 little girls in my case). The PF just doesn't cut it for size and convenience (although it's a hoot to drive when it's just me and the wife or a few friends). Good luck with your Ody.
  • Options
    akhilsanjanaakhilsanjana Member Posts: 3
    I have perused the postings on extended warranties in this group and the overwhelming opinion seems to be to go for it for the peace of mind. However, my case is slightly different.

I am getting my Odyssey LX next week.
    The dealership offers a lifetime guarantee on the powertrain as long as you always bring the van in to their location for an oil change. The catch is they want you to do an oil change every 3750 miles. Now, I have not worked out how much more that would cost me over an extended period of time versus if I had followed the schedule prescribed in the manual which I believe is more lenient (> 5000 miles?).

Anyway, my question is this. Assuming I follow their schedule for an oil change, should I still buy an extended warranty? Since mine is an LX, I don't have to deal with repairs to the power sliding doors or a complex navigation system. Other than the powertrain which will be covered for the lifetime for me, what else should I worry about? AC, maybe? But I have never had my AC break down on any cars (an Accord and a Protege) I have owned in the past. I now have > 100K miles on my Protege and other than routine maintenance, I have never had any repairs on it. That is what makes me hesitant to buy an extended warranty.
    Am I missing something by laying so much emphasis on the powertrain coverage? Would I be better off buying the extended warranty vs. not buying it and following the strict schedule prescribed by the dealership?

Thanks.
  • Options
    People on the honda odyssey problem board mention a transmission noise when the van hits 50 mph.

Do all Odyssey's have this problem. I would like to hear from those who do NOT have a problem.

Thanks
    Steve
  • Options
    sailor_moonsailor_moon Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 LX makes this low frequency humming sound at speed between 50 and 55 MPH
    in the over drive state ( around 1500 RPM engine speed) since day one. I believe this
    is the characteristic of the van. Honda tries to improve fuel efficiency by tuning
    the transmisssion so that it goes into overdrive at low RPM. This phenomenon is like
    dirving a manual transmission in 5th gear with low speed low RPM. It might put stress
    on the torque converter. I try to avoid that gray area when I drive. That is my opinion. So far I'm
    very happy with the van. No clunk going from R to D4 or D4 to R, ot no pull to the right.

To those who want to test whether their car pull to right or not, drving on the long bridge is a excellent choice because the road is very flat and no croaning. But you have to watch out for the cross wind.
  • Options
    lumanskilumanski Member Posts: 39
    I got an unusual question. It looks like my steering column is crooked. This is hard to explain but when I sit in the seat, my left hand has to reach about an inch furthur than the right. I verified this by standing outside the van and looking across the steering wheel and that right side sticks out furthur. This can't be normal, can it? (Its an 2001 EX)
  • Options
    Steve,

I don't experience/notice any problem when getting to the 50 mph mark. So, no I don't think this occurs with all Odysseys. (I don't even hear any humming, maybe I'm going deaf over something. ;) )

Druce
  • Options
    moozymoozy Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if there will be leather seats in honda odysey in 2002
  • Options
    3senough3senough Member Posts: 17
    I have 28,500 on my 2000 EX Nav, I have not experienced the reverse clunk, nor the shimmy at 50, no pulling to the side, the only problem I have had is the door beeping when is was out of cycle. The beeping problem was easy to remedy. I have to admit that after reading these posts I am half expecting to hear or feel something unusual, but I am happy to report that everything is fine. The only things I find annoying is that the buttons on both remote units want to stick down making unlocking a pain and also that the alarm system seems counter intuitive. I am used to using the remote to unlock the doors, but my husband has tried several times to use the keys to open the doors and has set off the alarm each time. I am surprized I haven't done it, as it is a normal response when presented with a keyhole. What I can't figure out is why they think a thief would have your keys. Or that the thief won't know to use the remote instead. Oh well, if that's as bad as it gets, I'll be happy.
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    I can't speak directly for the Odyssey as I don't own one. However it is not unusual for a steering column to be a bit off center, generally offset to the right.
  • Options
    akhilsanjanaakhilsanjana Member Posts: 3
    I am sorry if this question has been asked before. I will be getting my Odyssey LX this week.

I decided to add the CD player and the luggage rack as options. My dealer said the best price he could get me is 405$ on the CD player and 300$ on the luggage rack (with the cross rails). Is that a fair price? He says he is giving me a 20% discount.

Thanks.
  • Options
    galliotgalliot Member Posts: 2
    Check out the site, http://www.hondapartsforyou.com. Even though I have no direct experience with them, it is mentioned favorably in several previous posts. I plan on purchasing cross bars for my soon-to-be-delivered EX from them.
  • Options
    ravenxyravenxy Member Posts: 10
    akhilsanjana,

At my dealership, Honda North in MA, they offer a similar extended warranty which is valid only if you have ALL your scheduled maintenance (according the their schedule, not Hondas), done at the dealer. Of course, this costs a small fortune over the long run. If they are offering such a warranty for doing oil changes only, then its not a bad deal.

John
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. We do miss our 'O1 PF, but feel our new Ody makes up for it. It definitely has been a more practical vehicle than the PF for us.

Funny thing is, my wife swore she would never own a minivan. The Ody converted her! Good luck with your PF and Ody!
  • Options
    masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    Are you talking about the "Honfidence" policy they give with each vehicle? I'm pretty sure Honda North has a dealer warranty that doesn't state that, I may be wrong however. I know that the perks that go with "honfidence" are only if you do businees with them. I did remember that the the warranty was a good one but I figured I wouldn't be in the area for 10 years so I opted not to go with it. If scheduled maintenance by them exclusively was a stipulation then I probably would have said no anyways. They are pretty decently priced on oil changes if you use the internet coupon but I imagine they charge a pretty penny for maintenance(15000 coming up this summer, I shall price them and find out). Overall, they are pleasant outfit though.
  • Options
    masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    .....is length of time you've owned a vehicle as important as the number of miles driven where scheduled maintence is concerned? I bought in Nov. 99 but have only put 13k on the van. We drive it everyday but only for short distances. Mostly stop 'n go but the driving environment is not too harsh. I rarely get into Boston where it can be an "idle" nightmare, 98% of the time I just putt around my little town north of the city.
    I have 15k coming up but was looking at the manual the other day and it said something to the effect of 1 year or 15k. I'm under the impression that if you drive with common sense in a resonable environment and check the color of the oil once a month for anything odd, then miles is the standard to go by.

Anybody with thoughts on this??? I'm not crazy for putting it off till the actual mile mark comes up am I?
  • Options
    neech7neech7 Member Posts: 23
    When you say buttons sticking down, I assume you mean the one second or so delay before the door actually opens or closes. This is to protect against accidentally opening or closing of the power doors, as when you put the remote in your pocket and then bend over to pick up something, that may result in pushing on one of the buttons on the remote unintentionally. You may ask, then, why are the locking/unlocking of the doors immediate. That's because if you don't open any door after you unlock, it will re lock all doors after about 1 minute. The system is designed to protect you from unlocking/opening of any doors unintentionally and leaving the van in a vulnerable state as you walk away from it without realizing what had happened.

As for the alarm, it must be deactivated by using the remote after it has been activated. Any other action to get to the interior of the van, including turning the key, breaking the windows, or picking on the lock/keyhole constitutes attempt to break in. The system can't tell the difference between a thief picking the lock and your husband turning the key. So it does its job and screams out loud. All car alarms I had before work this way, Honda or not.
  • Options
    prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    If a dealer claims the warranty is invalid unless they do all the service work, stay away! There should not be any such requirement.

Time vs. miles: it's whichever occurs first. Fluids do break down with the passage of time as well as miles. We're on pace for 18-20K per year on our new Ody EX (1300 miles in 24 days), so the 7500 service will be upon us before five months elapses.