Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    james is right - i didn't consider snow as i've always lived in the south. If you do live in an area with normal snowfall, i'd highly suggest getting two sets of tires.

The Pirelli tires have a nickname amongst porsche owners - squirellis. Some have found it exceedingly difficult to balance. So much so that my new turbo came with Pirellis and i'm looking at dumping them for Michellins

nevertheless, enjoy!
  • Options
    canman1971canman1971 Member Posts: 61
    I'm about to enter my first winter here in the Northeast with my 2000 323i. I've owned it for 5 months so I have some general questions if anyone would like to help.

1. What kind of maintenance should I do before winter if anything?

2. When getting an oil change, should I go to a BMW dealership? What difference is there?

3. I have snow tires and I've been told these cars are good in the snow with the DSC. So, are they decent in the snow?

4. What routine maintenance should I have done and when?
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    1. Make sure that your brakes, all exterior lights, and exhaust are in good shape. The BMW coolant should have been changed within the last three years(don't use any other coolant). The brake fluid should have been-flushed using DOT 4 brake fluid ONLY-at least every two years. The wiper blades should be no more than six months old.

2. Oil changes are a dead simple 30 minute DIY job. If you still don't want to tackle it, use a dealer or a good independent shop that specializes in BMWs. NEVER take a BMW to a quickie lube shop. Use BMW filter elements and a good BMW approved synthetic such as Mobil 1 0W-40.

3. If you have true winter tires-indicated by the "Snowflake on the Mountain" Symbol-you should have no problems.

4. Follow the service schedule in the owners manual. However, even though BMW doesn't call for it, I would change the transmission and final drive fluid at 60K-100K intervals.
  • Options
    denny4denny4 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure if they will just change them out upon request at inspection time. I had one fail on my 2003 330ci when the car had about 12,000 on it. The dealer went ahead and replaced all 6 coils. Audi had a similar problem but the dealer was a little better about it. A friend has an A4 and had heard about a possible recall. He went to the dealer and they changed the coils right away, even the coils in his car were good.
  • Options
    kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    My cars have been great in the snow. I have Pirelli Winter tires on them and they have more than enough grip. Bottom line is drive prudently and you won't get into trouble. If going up a slight incline the back will try to come around depending on grip and ice, which will kick on the DSC. Just let off the gas and keep your hands on the wheel (10 and 2) being careful not to overcorrect. Take the car out to an empty snow covered parking lot (without dividers or light poles) and explore the dynamics and limits of your car's handling in snow.
  • Options
    kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    i know the earlier (2000-02) E46 coupe mirrors do NOT fold even though the sedan mirrors do. The M3 E46 ones do fold but it is a function of the electric switch.
  • Options
    agrawalanuragagrawalanurag Member Posts: 16
    Hello Folks,

I am writing for advice.

Today suddenly while driving some smoke started coming out of engine. And battery indication light came ON.

I stopped the car and will be towed to some place for fix. I am not sure what had happened. ANy clue?

After reading manual it seems something to do with V-Belt. It advices not to drive the car at all. I am not sure how much $$$ I am looking at it for repairs.

I am in mountain view, ca area. ANy suggestion for the repair shop will also be very helpful.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that I have 323I year 2000 automatic BMW.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like your alternator seized...or..another belt broke and then broke the alternator belt.,,OR....you blew a radiator hose, created a lot of steam, and the hot water blasted your alternator and fried it, OR got the alternator belt so wet it started to slip and not charge the battery.
  • Options
    It's very likely that a belt tensioner pulley and/or idler pulley failed. I replaced all of them on my 1995 3er as a precaution, but I waited a bit too long to do the same for my wife's 1997 528i-resulting in a flatbed trip to my local shop. As for Mountain View shops, Steve Dinan's shop has an excellent reputation; not cheap mind you, but it couldn't hurt to give them a call.
  • Options
    jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    When I turn on defrost mode for the front windshield in my '04 325xi, the air that blows is extremely hot. Lowering the temp setting has no effect; nor does switching AC on/off when in defrost mode. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-jaj
  • Options
    stankvtstankvt Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have experience installing an alarm system on a 2004 BMW 325it wagon using the BMW alarm kit? Easy? Difficult?
    Take long? Run into any problems?
    Thanks
  • Options
    emcmanus1emcmanus1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi:

I own a 2003 325i Auto and have had quite a few problems with it. I have one recurring, undiagnosed issue with the dsc light coming on for no apparent reason. It seems if I stop the car for just a few minutes, for example, re-fueling, getting a cup of coffee, etc. and then start the car and drive off, the dsc light will start to blink and leave me with no accelerator pedal. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue or am I just lucky.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome...
  • Options
    crashtest550crashtest550 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

Can anybody help?

I have a 1995 3 series 1.6i. My battery recently ran down and I was forced to open the door without using the central locking. Since then my alarm sets off everytime I open the door, it no longer makes a beeping noise to sync with the central locking and more importantly when using the remote to lock the car it locks and then reopens itself within 10s needing me to then lock again.

Help me!!!!
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I did my own. My car is a 330Ci, but I would imagine the install is very similar. Using instructions printed out from the web, the only problem I had was installing the siren near the firewall. My hands were too large to fit into the available area. After about 20 minutes of cursing and fussing, I asked my wife if she could get the bolt started for me and about 10 seconds later, she had the job done. Other than that issue, I would say the install would take about 30 minutes, no special tools, and is VERY easy.
  • Options
    spirokspirok Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 330ci 50,000 miles and my engine service soon light comes on and off every 500-1000 miles. When I drive when the yellow service light is on it seems to not have enough power from 3000-5000rpm and it sounds a little louder than usual. When the service light is off the car runs like a champ. What could be causing this problem? :confuse:
  • Options
    Thanks for you replies.

I took it to local BMW repair shop. ALternator, Belt, Water pump and reservoir needed replacement.
  • Options
    sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    wow... glad you got it resolved.

Two questions...

1- how many miles do you have on the car?
    2- how much did this cost?

I was thinking of doing this [waterpump] at around 90K, but sounds like I ought to reconsider.
  • Options
    In all it came to $684 including parts and service. My car has 67K miles on it.

The guy told me that around 60-70K water pump should be checked for any problem.
  • Options
    bmwguy2bmwguy2 Member Posts: 13
    i would change your driving habits, basically stay away from trucks ,
  • Options
    bmwnabmwna Member Posts: 32
    I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

BMW NA Customer Relations
  • Options
    hiiamuchiiamuc Member Posts: 1
    Hello from Finland! I have a problem with my 320i fuel pump.

Previously when turning the ignition key from 0-position to 1 (=electricity ON to radio etc...)(running position being #2 and ignition position being #3) the pump filled gasoline ready for the ignition - after which it stopped. Then I did some repair work to my 320i and after that gas pump stopped from working completely – the repair was not related to the pump.

My assumption is that there is a “collision crash switch”, which will stop the oil pump in the case of accident. So when repairing my car, I might have made that switch to activate and therefore pump gets no electricity anymore.

I already changed the gas pump relay but that did not help (Benzinpumpenrelais 1286727, 12v, 5WK2 221). After then I forced the gas pump to be always on by connecting electricity wires so that pump is pumping always, when the car key is in any of the positions 1-3. On the long run this is no good, since many times car is not running and pump could run the battery low.

My BMW model is: 320i, -1987 (before Sept), 6 cylinder, injection model

My questions are:
    1. Do you have any ideas how I could get the gas pump back to normal?
    2. Could the problem be this collision crash switch and if yes where is it?
    3. Or would you have an “electricity wiring map” which I could use myself to check alternative solutions?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ranelranel Member Posts: 1
    Hello! Could somenody tell me what might be causing problem with my BMW325i 1991 auto, it recently starts revving up on its own when on stationary or slowing down. i noticed that it happens everytime the rpm goes down to 5. Thanks.
  • Options
    jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    I've had a letter from BMW indicating that my 330 xi (2003) has been recalled for ignition coil replacement. This will be my third recall for the vehicle, the other recalls being for different reasons. As much as I enjoy the vehicle, this has to be a record for any vehicle I have ever owned. Does anyone else have any opinions about this particular recall and its significance? Thanks, Jason
  • Options
    Make sure that there are no vacuum leaks downstream of the airflow meter. Also, check the idle control valve and the throttle position sensor for proper operation.
  • Options
    jamesspotjamesspot Member Posts: 57
    Don't sweat it, Jason. One of the subs sent a defective lot of coils to the prime, BMW identified it, and is replacing them on their dime. You get 6 quality, new ignition coils that should last the life of the car. Yes it is a pain, like replacing mirror motors, DISA valves, final resistors in the air conditioning fan, and the plactic parts of the window regulators. If a known defect is fixed for free under warranty or by recall, I have no issues with a manufacturer that stands by its product, and would prefer the car that was fixed over one where the owner never knew about the problem.
  • Options
    dave2171dave2171 Member Posts: 2
    The car was hit in the rear bumber, the interior dash lamp indicator shows that the rear tail lamps are out. I replaced all of the bulbs but it still shows on the dash indicator that the lamps are out! Is there a sensor to be replaced?
  • Options
    Check for:
    Bad ground connection in trunk area
    Damaged and/or oxidized tail lamp bulb socket(s)
    Damaged tail lamp wiring harness
    Brake lamp switch(unlikely, assuming the problem only started after the accident)
    Also, are you using good quality silver base bulbs such as those manufactured by Osram? Do you apply a thin coat of dielectric-AKA "bulb"-grease to the bulb bases prior to installation?
    My 1997 E39 had a problem with phantom bulb warnings, so I cleaned all the sockets with contact cleaner, replaced the generic bulbs with Osrams, their bases sparingly coated with dielectric grease. End of problem.
  • Options
    jedi1977jedi1977 Member Posts: 21
    I am planning on buying a used (obviously) 2003 330ci...anyone willing to share some general problems they've experienced? The car I'm planning on buying has 20K mi. on it. Upgrading(?) from an '02 Honda Accord EX V6 coupe. Thanks in advance for your help!!! :confuse:
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    >>Does anyone else have any opinions about this particular recall and its significance?

Would have been nice to have received it before my car died and had to be flatbedded to the dealer.

Too much broke stuff on mine. Car handles great but what a P-I-T-A. No way I was keeping this car past warranty so it goes back to the dealer. Bought a 4runner to keep me going.
  • Options
    bmw has recently had a recall campaign in reference to replacing ignition coils,the old coils suffer from heat fatigue which cause the insulation properties of the coil to break down and arc due to heat ,and wear ,the original coils are bremis and the replacements are bosch,be thank full you dont have a ford,at least bmw always has the customer in mind,not their pocket ,i know ,i work for a bmw dealer
  • Options
    and toyota doesnt have recalls and lemons and buy backs,i wouldnt say it to loud that you gaveup a bmw for a toyota ,in my parts at least
  • Options
    rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    Thanks for the information on the BMW ignition coil recall. Do you know which years are affected (that use Bremis coils instead of Bosch). We have a '02 325xiT and wonder if it is involved in the recall. We haven't experienced any malfunctioning so far, but we have only 25,000 miles on the car, so may be the low mileage hasn't triggered the wear on the coils due to the heat.
    I agree with you on the responsibility BMW has often shown for their cars. My son owns a '98 318TL. He received a letter from BMWNA in 2002 telling him that they have extended the warranty of the catalyst convertor on that car to 100,000 miles and 10 years from 8 simply because a small number of this model experienced premature failure. I would think that is what "standing behind your products" means. He never has experienced such said problem. We are very impressed particularly to compare the way Toyota has handled the well-known engine sludge issue. And so many toot the super "reliability" of that co.
  • Options
    Still considering the purchase below..can anyone tell me..
    -Does the 4yr, 50,000 mi. full maintenance warranty include oil changes?
    -How often does the oil require changing?
    -Is 87 octane okay to use in this vehicle?

Thanks!

original message
    ----------------------------------
    I am planning on buying a used (obviously) 2003 330ci...anyone willing to share some general problems they've experienced? The car I'm planning on buying has 20K mi. on it. Upgrading(?) from an '02 Honda Accord EX V6 coupe. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "-Does the 4yr, 50,000 mi. full maintenance warranty include oil changes?"

Yes.

"-How often does the oil require changing?"

Every 15,000 miles or so. The On Board Computer (OBC) will tell you when to take your car in to have the oil changed. I've had mine recommend an oil change after as few as 13,500 miles (lots of urban driving in and around NYC), and as long as 18,000 miles (lots of highway driving between New Hampshire and the NYC area).

"-Is 87 octane okay to use in this vehicle?"

Okay? In a pinch when you cannot find Premium, yes it's okay. Okay on a regular basis? No, that's just dumb. Regular fuel will rob a 330i of both power and fuel economy. Kind of fits the old saying, "Penny wise, pound foolish."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    rich48rich48 Member Posts: 21
  • Options
    rich48rich48 Member Posts: 21
    The hood patch BMW emblem on my 01 3 series is peeling off. Any ideas on replacement or repair?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think you just take a piece of cloth or tape to protect the paint and then pry the old one up with a penknife...there are little plastic cups that come with the new emblem, and you put those in the hole and then press in the new emblem. Check with the BMW parts department on installation procedure.
  • Options
    Here is a good description of the procedure.
  • Options
    mhynsonmhynson Member Posts: 3
    My uncle has a 1999 323i with 106k miles on it. When driving does not have power and speed when stepping on gas. The research I have done on code seems to be throttle valve pulse width not plausible. Does this sound correct and how to fix?
  • Options
    sheepdgsheepdg Member Posts: 12
    It's a $15 / 5 minute task. Buy one, Install same.
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I've heard they are something like $20 at a BMW parts department....
  • Options
    drddodrddo Member Posts: 33
    I realize this is an older message, but I hoped you might fill me in on the result of your visit, or someone else can chime in as well. I had a problem with my new 2004 325xi stalling last fall, only on the first crank of the morning. This problem stopped all winter, now this fall as the weather cools it is starting again. Over the holiday weekend it took 2-3 cranks in the morning to get it going. I'm not due for my second inspection for around 3500 more miles, and never mentioned it at the first inspection since the problem had stopped at that time. My dealer is also about 100 miles away, so I was hoping to avoid an extra trip over. Any thoughts? -Drddo
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    >>and toyota doesnt have recalls and lemons and buy backs

When was the last time you heard of a Toyota owner being stranded? Unless it was an axe murderer pretending.

>>i wouldnt say it to loud that you gaveup a bmw for a toyota ,in my parts at least

As if I care. The difference I am saving could pay for like, ten minutes at Choate.
  • Options
    Shipo - Thanks for the 411. I picked up the '03 330ci with the sport package this evening. Now I've got to go and get the Blizzaks for the snow. Can't run 18" run flats through the snowy streets of chicago. Thanks again for the feedback!
  • Options
    You're welcome, any time. ;-) Now, about my fee...

Hmmm, how about a cinnamon role from Ann Sather's. Please. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    drddodrddo Member Posts: 33
    Ok, evidently not the most popular question on the block. I called the dealer today, and thought I would pass on the advice I received. I was told that there have been some computer issues that can cause first start stalling, and they can check and provide a software upgrade if needed at any time. If I wanted to try something before I make the 1 hour drive to the dealer, they recommended that I run out my current tank of premium, and fill up the next 2 times with 89 octane. Evidently the 3 series can get temperamental on occasion with premium only gas. They mentioned that it may have something to do with a change over from summer to winter gas mix. I'll try to get back with my final fix, just in case anyone is curious. -Drddo
  • Options
    mtomeo1mtomeo1 Member Posts: 6
    My dog decided to use the leather in my 2003 325xi as a chew toy and with my lease end coming up soon I'm looking for a cheap fix. There are three or four bitesize holes on the backseat, driverside door that will need repair. I was thinking of buying one of those liquid leather repair kits and seeing if that would do the trick (I have the gray interior...Dove gray I think?). I know it's not leather in those bottles, but I only need it to look good for the inspection. Has anyone ever tried this stuff before? Do I take a chance that BMW will not notice the holes? If they do, I assume I'll owe them some money and I really would like to avoid that. Any thoughts?

The holes are on the rounded, top part of the door by the window. Is that area even leather?!? Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Regarding repairing the holes, ummm, personally I wouldn't go there, but that's just me.

As a suggestion, you might want to inquire about the cost of a new inner door panel from your local parts department. I needed to buy two new fender liners for my 530i before lease end (my wife was used to plowing through the snow plow induced berm at the end of our driveway in her minivan, unfortunately when she did it in my 5er, she destroyed both front wheel fender liners), and I was surprised to find that they were only something like $25 per side.

Should buying a new door panel prove too costly then you might want to search your friendly neighborhood bone yard. Many of them have the ability to ask around at other yards for requested parts, and the cost is usually a quarter to a half of price tag assigned to the new part.

Best Regards,
    Shipo