Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Yeah, be careful about boosting batteries that are completely dead or severly overcharged as well

Frozen batteries will also detonate if you attempt to charge them.
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    I once had the battery in my 318ti explode, and I wasn't even trying to jump it. Blew a hole right through the side of the plastic enclosure. All I was did was try to start the #$%@ thing. It was in my garage, so I know it wasn't too cold. It was in the morning and hadn't been driven for 12 hours, so I know it wasn't too hot. And it was a fairly new battery, so I know it wasn't dead.

I figured it was a defective battery, but the guy behind the counter at Autozone says it was my car's wiring, so I sucker-punched him and high-tailed it out of there. (Actually, that last part might be a little embellishment.) Funny, that he was able to diagnose the problem without even knowing what I drive. Even weirder: I never bothered looking for the problem with the car and yet, the problem hasn't been repeated. Hmmm.

Happy Holidays, everyone.
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Have a 04 325ci. First BMW. How do I access the battery and are these now maintenance free??? Or are there covers to still add distilled H20?? Is the batter under the R rear trunk fascia or in another place.

Thanks.

abfisch
  • Options
    sj90sj90 Member Posts: 1
    I have a e36 325tds when the fuel gets to just under half a tank you can see air in the fuel pipe and also makes the car difficult to start, the gauge is reading correctly as i have had this checked out.anyone any ideas thanks.
  • Options
    amsmusicamsmusic Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 325i last Saturday. The Bluetooth hasn't worked in the car since Saturday. I have been to the service dept already for a software update and no luck. BMW is now shrugging its shoulders saying eventually the problem will be solved but they don't know when. I paid for this option to be added to my car and it was a big reason I opted for the BMW. There was no asterisk by the BMW assist saying it would work "only sometimes". The dealership is telling me the lemon law in CA does not apply because it is not a safety concern so they'll fix it when they get around to it. What happened to the wonderful BMW Customer Service I had heard about? Don't I have any options? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
  • Options
    Bluetooth...was a big reason I opted for the BMW.

But of course! That's why BMW is known as the Ultimate Dialing Machine...
  • Options
    amsmusicamsmusic Member Posts: 2
    Thanks... That was helpful. Genius actually! I was looking at a couple different makes and models. The Bluetooth was one of the pluses that helped me to decide on the BMW 3 series....
  • Options
    skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Believe me, I would be upset and crying as well. Just to compare myself with the others, note that BT is just a security nicety, which I believe should be in all the cars (because dialing and driving do not go together) and not a reason for me opting for a Bimmer. Therefore I hope that BMW will correct the problem, and especially because I will be in a market for a new Bimmer in about 3 months. However, reading about this for quite some time, it appears to me that there are people who managed to solve the problem by BMW updating the software. Note that these cases also confirmed that the BT phones may not be on the BMW's list of "compatible" phones, they only have to have the BT capabilities. Please, keep us updated about this, and I hope that you will be able to solve the problem.
  • Options
    snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    I am having issues with my cell phone pairing up with my BMW's BT as well. I am taking my car in Tuesday for software updates (which I have had to hound my service center for). I asked about auto door locks when I purchased my car in June and was told that the programming was not yet available. My memory seats do not work consistently either.....The comment was also made when I scheduled my appointment that I may have to "pay" for bringing my car in for the software/programming updates. Huh???
  • Options
    Seriously, I've heard that BT compatibility issues are only a problem with the V6 cars.
  • Options
    trulyd123trulyd123 Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a 06 325i sedan. Drove it today on a particularly windy day and lo and behold a large can or metal-something hit the side of my car and left 3 deep scratches.

Questions:

1) I know I have to fix it, but any recommendations how ie go through dealer, body shop, does my warranty cover this?

2) Once I fix it, should I consider getting some kind of treatment on the car to protect it? I'm not even sure what kind of treatment I could get. When I was w/ the dealer's Finance person they tried to sell me a paint protection option. Kinda looks more appealing now.

3) How do I heal my broken heart from seeing my new baby damaged so.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    jamesspotjamesspot Member Posts: 57
    it is not the manufacturer's fault. You can try some quality wax or touch-up paint. A body shop will need to paint the whole panel. Figure $400 or so for a quality job. Your comprehensive insurance may cover (minus your deductible).

There are clear plastic bras to protect the front from rock chips, but I don't know of anything for the sides.

Drive it hard on the track once you hit 1200 miles of ownership. It's a sports sedan, put it in its element and you will love it more.
  • Options
    Drive it hard on the track once you hit 1200 miles of ownership. It's a sports sedan, put it in its element and you will love it more.

Amen! Bimmers are built for DRIVING!
  • Options
    islander71islander71 Member Posts: 25
    FWIW, I unfortunately had to utilize BMW Roadside Assistance while out-of-state recently. I punctured a tire on my 02 330i and BMW had someone to me in 25 minutes to change it out. I was impressed. The service is free for the first five years of ownership or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Trying to locate a 205/50R/17 Continental Sport Contact tire in GA on the other hand was not easy.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Battery detonated in my old saab one time. Blew acid all over the engine. Needless to say, it was never quite the same after that.

One more reason i'm glad the bimmer had it in the trunk.

dave
  • Options
    veekay1veekay1 Member Posts: 180
    It was "pinched" sunroof drains; happened after they had worked in/around headliner/sunroof while tracing an earlier noise.
    they fixed it, is fine now.
    thanks.
  • Options
    bmw325iconvertbmw325iconvert Member Posts: 1
    hi i own a 1999 3251 convertible e36, and i had an accident, the anti roll bars behind my rear head rest were deployed now the roof wont go up or down and i cant get the anti roll bars to go down either. also i wanted to no if has the fact that the anti roll bars come up stop my hood from working, please reply coz you could be saving me 250 pound the the bmw dealer quoted me to fix the problem. thanks omz from london :sick:
  • Options
    barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    Those with Naviagtion only! not sure about others?

Got my car back today 1/13 & now plays MP3's :)

My car was built on 6/2/2005 so I was a early buyer.

Installed new CD Changer but when doing so car asked for...
    new CIP 20.1 software update. Not sure if Changer or update did the trick?

Advice: get your car updated with 20.1 software & if still no MP3?
    You need to have dealer look up part # for CD Changer in your car.
    Most likely they installed part #65-12-6-964-601.
    If yes? it's the incorrect Changer for your car.

Have dealer install new Changer @ no cost to you!
    New part # is 65-12-6-964-602.

Bottom line: we will all now have MP3 for our cars no matter when it was built.
    Just go after your dealers & do not accept no for a answer.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    4wheels14wheels1 Member Posts: 23
    Anyone know how to fix this? '99 323i, auto. The indicator lights next to the selector knob are "off" by one. In other words it lights up "D" when it is really in neutral etc. The indicator on the dash is correct., but not the one next to the selector knob. Thanks.
  • Options
    sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Anyone know what the "Steering Angle Sensor" is, and why it's costing me $450 to get fixed?

Also, power steering fluid hoses leaking on a car with ~ 60K miles? Seems a bit premature.
  • Options
    Anyone know what the "Steering Angle Sensor" is, and why it's costing me $450 to get fixed?

The SAS tells the DSC module(s) how many degrees the steering wheel is turned.

Also, power steering fluid hoses leaking on a car with ~ 60K miles? Seems a bit premature.

On a modern BMW the problem can almost always be traced to a loose hose clamp on the low pressure(suction) hose(s). Replacing the OEM crimped clamp with a screw clamp should stop the leak.
  • Options
    Thanks, div2!

So, wrt the hoses... do you mean to say that I could buy $0.50 clamps and (potentially) fix this myself? That would be great (considering the dealership mentioned a figure closer to $600).
    Do you know of any sites that would walk me through this (ie, pictures, etc)?
  • Options
    First off:
    1.What is the year and model of your 3er?
    2.Are you able to identify which hoses are leaking?

The procedure really isn't very involved; you can probably do it without even putting the car on ramps. And, if a hose actually is leaking, you can replace it yourself as well. I also suspect that the dealer is wanting to replace every hose, right?
  • Options
    1- 2001 330i
    2- Car is still at the dealership (will pick it up tonight); and will look under the hood then as this issue was news to me.

Ironically, when they told me that 2 of the 3 hoses were leaking, I asked them if I should just get all 3 replaced (figuring that this was age-related and labor is the bulk of the cost of repair). The CA said that each hose has a fixed cost for the parts and the labor (i.e., no economies by doing all at the same time).

I've told them to hold off on fixing the hoses b/c I'd like to see it first-hand (and possibly do the fix myself).

Thanks.
  • Options
    Ironically, when they told me that 2 of the 3 hoses were leaking, I asked them if I should just get all 3 replaced

Well, according to the ETK there are four hoses-labeled as parts 1, 3, 7, and 11 in the diagram. My guess is that hose 1 is leaking at either end and that hose 7 is leaking where it is clamped to the fluid reservoir. Another possibility is that one or both of the banjo bolts(parts 6 and 9) are loose. If that's the case, replacing their sealing washers and tightening the bolts should cure the problem.
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    div2: Thanks for posting a link to that realoem.com website. I didn't need anything regarding hoses, but I found that website to be incredible! Every BMW part for any BMW car or motorcycle ever, with prices, even! Very cool! Thanks!
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Get used to stuff breaking. That's a BMW. If you want the car to work all the time, get a Lexus.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Dude, you ought to know better than that. BMWs have proven to be quite reliable, and while not quite to the level of some Lexus models, statistically speaking, the difference isn't all that great.

As an aside here, I don't know too many folks (as in none) who enjoy the driving dynamics of a BMW who would willingly swap for the boring drive of a Lexus (IS350 included), regardless of how "reliable" you think they are.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Personally, I think Toyota and Lexus vehicles are unsafe to drive. Spend much time behind the wheel of any of those appliances and you'll soon die of boredom...
  • Options
    acyacy Member Posts: 2
    A couple weeks ago I was driving along and my check engine light came on and my car started skipping or miss firing! my ( year 2000 BMW 323i). so i carried it to the dealership! They tested it and said it was fine, Just my computer may need an upgrade? I did not know cars computers had to be upgraded! well they resst the check engine light and it went away and the car has been driving fine until last night! the light came back on and the car starts skiping and missfiring when its in idel agian! can anyone help?
  • Options
    bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"Get used to stuff breaking. That's a BMW. If you want the car to work all the time, get a Lexus."

After looking for about four months, and narrowing it down to a BMW 530xi and a Lexus GS300 AWD, I decided on the Lexus (for various reasons that I won't bore anyone here with unless they really want to know).

I'm bringing the GS into the dealer for the second time to try and get rid of.... I've lost count.... maybe the 7th or 8th rattle/squeak/click. Sure, it's not broken, but my Dad's Audi and my friend's BMW are silent, even after 20,000 miles.

Lexus is known for whisper quiet cabins; BMW has, in the past, been known for reliability problems. I think that Lexus as been resting on their laurels, and BMW has done everything possible to address reliability problems. I wish I had thought about it this way before I purchased.

Take a look at eBay Motors, and look for the number of 2006 Lexus GS's, and then the number of 5 series. Big difference.

Not to mention the fact that I'm still reading BMW message boards. The plan now? Save my dollars for a 650. ;)
  • Options
    The Check Engine Light(CEL) is telling you that your car's onboard diagnostic system has detected a problem. It could be any number of things. Any shop equipped to service 1996-up cars can read out the fault codes. Autozone will do it for free.
  • Options
    acyacy Member Posts: 2
    the shop checked it and said that it was a pistion misfiring ! but the also said ther ewas nothing work with any of the pistions and the car drives fine. UNless that light is on.. they said it may be a computer upgrade issue? ever heard of this?
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    "I decided on the Lexus (for various reasons that I won't bore anyone here with unless they really want to know)."

Well, if you have a few minutes to spare, could you pop on over to a more appropriate thread (say, "Help me Choose!") and cite your reasons for choosing the Lexus over the BMW? I think it might be helpful to those car shopping to have some additional "food for thought."

P.S.: Though I'm a huge BMW fanboy, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Lexus. When shopping, I often agonize over spending that kind of money on something that might turn out to be trouble. Good luck on next purchase.
  • Options
    bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >'I think it might be helpful to those car shopping to have some additional "food for thought." '

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't even thought of that.

>"I often agonize over spending that kind of money on something that might turn out to be trouble."

Well, that's one of the reasons I picked the Lexus. Looks like I made a mistake. :)
  • Options
    the shop checked it and said that it was a pistion misfiring

I'll bet the shop said that a cylinder is misfiring. If that's the case you probably have a bad coil, injector, or spark plug. My money's on a coil or plug.

they said it may be a computer upgrade issue? ever heard of this?

Yes, upgrading the engine management computer software is a common procedure on post-1996 cars. Manufacturers frequently update their software to correct driveability and other problems.
  • Options
    I'll bet the shop said that a cylinder is misfiring. If that's the case you probably have a bad coil, injector, or spark plug. My money's on a coil or plug.

Your mention of a coil made me think.... Is the 2000 323i one of the BMW cars with the ignition coil recall? If so, I would imagine the dealer would have seen that listed on the the car's history report. Worth mentioning, however....
  • Options
    thehuacthehuac Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone. I have a 2006 BMW 330i with 4,900 miles Automatic with Navigation. I noticed that while i'm driving listening to my car radio, it stops playing for about 6 seconds or so and then continues to play again. This is occurring throughout my whole drive constantly. I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem if so what was the solution. Thanks.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Do you have satellite radio? If you do, realize that it is line of sight for the most part. Long bridges, dense trees, tunnels, etc can create a block that causes the buffer in the radio to drain and lead to intermittent service.

XM seems to handle this better with local repeaters. The Sirius units I've listened to seem to cut out more (and BMW provides Sirius, not XM).

If you don't have satellite, I dunno. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    mush131mush131 Member Posts: 1
    I've read about a few problems with some reversal problems, I've had my 2000 323i for about 6 months and now it is starting to have problems going reverse, if I speed up then the problem is gone but every now and then it comes back. I'm thinking it may just need a tune up since it has about 89,000 miles. Does anyone know what my problem could be?
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    I have gotta enter in on this one, cause I have both a 02 Toyota Avalon and a 04 BMW 325ci SS. I bought the Avalon new, cash. Ever since I had it, until last year, I had been jerk around by the dealership and corporation, as to a high speed vibration. I used the algorithm in the SERVICE Manual and went through tires, wheels, rotors, alignment, and still. I liked the car alot, especially cause I got it with a bench seat. After excluding these, the only thing left was the inner CV joint/axle. I had an light wheeled vehicle mechanic, (I am in the Army) rip apart both sides after inspecting the axles, replace both, and the car became smooth, all the way up to 85MPH at least. Not a lemon, but something Toyota nor the local dealership could or wanted to deal with. Vehicle has 77K on it now. I do my own maintenance. Oh, I forgot to tell you about the inner body panel that was not put together correctly at the factory nor the net hooks in the trunk that were fallen off when I got the car. On top of this, the rear brakes especially fresh easy after a snowy season, so they have to be taken apart and cleaned at least once a year. Nice for a Toyota!! Huh.(Drum brakes are better snow country brakes; ask any mechanic).

Bought a BMW 325ci SS 5 speed three months ago, from a soldier that came back from Germany, and whose family got too big. Has 15K on it. The only thing that I see that is wrong, is a loose interior light connection in the trunk. Otherwise, not rattles, and flawlessly accelerates to 85MPH. The rear tires are a little ate up, but that is normal wear for this car, as it states in the service manual(Rear tires wear in the middle, front on the shoulders).,

Bottomline: From the two cars, on there initial fit and finish, the BMW has been put together better. I realize this is subjective, but.... I own both cars.

I will keep you posted for comparisons. In fairness to the Toyota, it is my workhorse, and I do not use the BMW during the winter months.

I don't have alot of love, if you will, for the Toyota Corporation anymore. Although, I my Avalon performs flawlessly now, I spent my own time and money figuring out what was wrong under their warranty. In addition, from my experience, as limited to the two cars as it is, Toyota and you can beat Lexus too(cause the struts for example were the same part number for the ES300/Avalon/Solara/Camry, are inferior to the BMW. So are the brake parts. Point being, I think the Toyota reputation is overinflated. Certainly, there customer service,even at the corporate level is flawed. And this was from Toyotas (not Lexus) 1st class flagship.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy both cars. Service both cars. Intend to enjoy and keep both cars for a very long time.

abfisch
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Gents:

I'm looking for a good place to buy a replacement fog light for my 04 330CiC. My car has the performance package so the light is actually the same as that for the M3. Does anyone know of a good discount parts dealer or other source?

(By the way, the missing light is on the driver's side and I need the complete package right down to the bulb--it fell off the car when it took a direct hit from a tire tread).

Thanks!
  • Options
    You can often find lots of parts on eBay.... I have had good success.
  • Options
    russ10russ10 Member Posts: 5
    Iam interested in problems/conditions related to this model/year as Iam looking at one for purchase.What do you think? Anybody want to give me a review please?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Go to edmunds.com

Go to "used cars"

Go to "appraise"

Go to 1994

also here's the link to '94 info:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/bmw/3series/108/options.html
  • Options
    drivethegreendrivethegreen Member Posts: 11
    Pony,

Thanks for the feedback on your personal experience comparing your Toyota to your BMW, but thanks even more for your service to country.

DTG
  • Options
    sean0311sean0311 Member Posts: 1
    Some BMW's are known to have reverse problems. I am just starting to investigate this but I believe it can have something to do with a broken floor - yes, the floor in the rear of the car. I apologize, I just don't have enough information yet - but from what I recall, it's not uncommon and is supposed to be fixed by BMW. I also have 2000 323i but I have not had the reversal problems yet (just turned 60k) but I am keeping a close eye on it as my warranty goes out in July '06. I would have the transmission checked for sure. It is SUPPOSED to have that 100K transmission fluid in it but I would wholeheartedly recommend changing it before then. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    hofnychofnyc Member Posts: 3
    I too have had problems with my 330i 2004 in terms of tire issues. While wear is generally an issue if you don't have regular maintenance to keep all allignment issues. I've found more issues with the Low set up giving me problems with bubbling and blow outs due to bad roads (pot holes, most precisely). I've been looking for a different set up or tire solution that would be "heartier" dealing with the rough road scenario (in the northeast). Any comments on that would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I too have had problems with my 330i 2004 in terms of tire issues. While wear is generally an issue if you don't have regular maintenance to keep all allignment issues. I've found more issues with the Low set up giving me problems with bubbling and blow outs due to bad roads (pot holes, most precisely). I've been looking for a different set up or tire solution that would be "heartier" dealing with the rough road scenario (in the northeast). Any comments on that would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi

I live in the Northeast, and I've had to replace about 7 tires in the past few months due to bubbling. the issue comes from the rough roads/pot holes around here. can you give me a better sense of the Pilot Sport tires you got? Also, are you still seeing better results with these tires? Did you have to alter the car set up in any way? Please let me know.