Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    ench1005ench1005 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my new 2006 Odyssey a week ago i noticed that when i go to a speed bumps theres a noise coming from the front end of the van. Is this normal or do i need to bring it back to the dealer for inspection help. thanks :(
  • Options
    fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    The VCM vans EX-L and above have all sorts of special additions to negate the vibrations caused when the ECM (ECO) is operating. These include special active engine mounts and active noise cancellation through the stereo. I feel that the engine on my 2006 EX-L is noisy, especially when using the VCM, but I was aware of this shortcoming.
  • Options
    fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    There is always going to be some kind of noise going over a speed bump. Try to determine if it is excessive or if is much worse on one side that the other by driving over speed bumps at an angle.
    I think that my 2006 EX-L is nosier that it should be over speed bumps, but doubt that it is something Honda can or will do anything about.
  • Options
    greenhornegreenhorne Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Touring with Navigation System/DVD (purchased new 10/04) that has major electrical problems when it rains. Every substantial rain the vehicle has been in it has had various "problems": doors indicating they are opening/shutting with driving, door locks randomly locking/unlocking while driving, complete failure of the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system), security system "alarming" randomly, and get this... the passenger rear door sometimes registers "open" on the display even when it is not... so the computers will not allow you to lock the doors unless the drivers seatbelt is done up. This was verified by Tech's at dealer although they have no idea of the correlation between the two.

This last time (12-2-05) almost every electrical system failed or threw a code. The dealer found a page long list of codes when scanned.

Dealer states they can't figure out what is going on even after 4 attempts. They have replace computers, fittings, connectors, and sealed about all they can. They have passed it along to Honda's district service manager and to Honda’s customer relations department. We are awaiting the claims managers’ phone call…

Anyone else with water/rain problems?

Robert
  • Options
    jj64jj64 Member Posts: 4
    I HAVE A 2005 ODYSSEY AND AROUND 40MPH AND UP I GET A LOUD WHISTLING NOISE. HONDA DEALER IS AWARE OF PROBLEM AND SAID THERE ARE SOME FIXES FOR THIS CONDITION.HOWEVER, AFTER THE DEALER HAD MY VAN FOR 3 FULL DAYS, PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.I HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK AGAIN AND WAS HOPING SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN TELL THE DEALER.NOISE IS ON RIGHT SIDE OF VAN,HARD TO FIND AND VERY ANNOYING.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Try posting without CAPS LOCK ON. Most users will ignore posts written like this, as it is too hard to read and is also considered the same as SHOUTING.

You'll get more response if you take off CAPS LOCK.

MrShiftright
    Host
  • Options
    niceguyniceguy Member Posts: 20
    Hi fibber2,

Thanks for your post. I did what you susggested, slap on the dashboard a few times and it did fix the problem. Saved me a trip to the dealer.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Andy,

One hell of a way to fix an electrical problem, isn't it?

So next time your mechanic says he needs a bigger hammer to address that transmission slippage, go ahead and let him wail on it!!!!

(cannot believe I am suggesting this......)

Steve
  • Options
    knelms1knelms1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Odyssy with vcm and it has a wibration between 70-75 MPH. I have it had back to the dealer 4 times with the same response. Its inherrent in the car and theres nothing we can do but if it gives problems in the future you complaint is on record. I contacted cutomer service in Torrance, Ca. and they told me they had contacted the dealer and this person repeated what the dealer told me. zI thought I would et an unbiased opinion.
    I get 24 MPG on the hwy. and a friend of mine gets 27 MPG in his Odyssy.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    sounds like these bulbs aren't seated very well in their sockets. i highly doubt there is a loose filament inside the bulb. perhaps Honda should re-design this recepticle. it seems to come up a lot doesn't it?
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539

I get 24 MPG on the hwy. and a friend of mine gets 27 MPG in his Odyssy

I regularly get 28+ mpg on the hwy, when the speed is kept at or around a constant 70mph and with the AC off (nowadays AC is not needed). When the speeds increases, the mileage dips. At a variable 80-90mph, with AC on, I get around 22 mpg...23 if I am lucky.

Remember that the Odyssey has 2 separate AC compressors and 2 separate heater cores...one for the front and another for the rear (very few vehicles are so equipped). With both front and rear AC blasting, the mileage will dip, since power from the engine is drawn to keep the compressors running.
  • Options
    jim_in_tojim_in_to Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Odyssey, and recently ran into a problem with a seized A/C compressor. Having thrown money away repairing old A/C systems before, I am very nervous that this could be a colossal waste of money (new compressor can run well over $1K when all is done). My question is this - What can I do to replace the engine belt with a shorter version, allowing me to simply remove the A/C compressor all together? The Honda dealer tells me that the 96 Odyssey was not produced without AC, so maybe the 97 Accord LX engine belt would work?
  • Options
    Agree.... vibration is probably shaking the bulb loose from the socket. But don't expect Honda to fix it.

Steve
  • Options
    I think your model was the 4-cylinder version, that was in existence prior to the current crop of large 6-cylinder Odyssey's came up, right ? That was extensively based on the Accord and there is a strong possibility that the then Accord's belt might work. You could probably confirm that from a mechanic specializing in Hondas.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    Rain man, something must be getting wet. After that many tries, I would certainly be contacting a lemon law attorney. Actually, since the corporate management is getting pulled in, see what they say but be sure to mention that you are considering the option.

Vibration at 75? Our EX-L is steady as a rock at 75-80. Probably even smoother than at 65, since the engine is in the sweet spot for RPMs. Are you sure that it is not tire balance related?

The only problem we really have is that the pass. side slider has started rattling. It seems loose at the top front edge, so it will be going in for an adjustment at some point.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fgmakfgmak Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 EXL-Res and I have started noticing this issue with it, If it is a cold day after about 15 minutes of driving either highway or local my steering wheel motor becomes real loud with a whining sound when I make either right or left turns. Probmlem does not seem to happen on warmer days. Took it back to dealer and they could not duplicate the problem, they told me to return when the whining is constant. Anyone run into this problem?
  • Options
    slykslyk Member Posts: 21
    My '05 Ody touring started making that sound too, between 60-75 mph. Sounded like I was driving on grooved pavement.
    If I remember correctly the dealer replaced the wheel bearings and that fixed it. I will try to find my service ticket to confirm.
    sly
  • Options
    slykslyk Member Posts: 21
    Aren't you supposed to be able to plug a set of headphones into the jacks in the 3rd row accessory panel and hear whats playing on the dvd screen?
    Is there a trick to making them work?
    Mine seem to be dead (aux input jacks too).
    I get sound thru the wireless headphones as expected but nothing with a wired set plugged in.

Thanks, slyk
  • Options
    roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    In my 1999 Odyssey with 84k miles, I have been noticing some slippage (it doesn't want to accelerate) taking off in first gear when I first leave the house, so it is cold. If I remember correctly, I have notice slippage and hesitation to shift into the higher gear even when it is warm. Did Honda also extend the warranty on the transmission upto 100k miles? I would like to get it shifting better before a Cmas trip.
    Thanks for you input. Merry Christmas, John
  • Options
    rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    Yes indeed the Ody tranny has an extended coverage to 100K. Don't delay get your Ody into a dealership with your problem.
    Happy holidays
    rockycow
  • Options
    aodyaody Member Posts: 1
    Yes-I have an 05 Odessey EXL with about 16000 miles. About 800 miles ago the power steering pump (motor) started making a noise like the one you described, but not until about 35-40 minutes of driving and not every time out. It is getting more frequent. The dealer could not duplicate it but told me to bring it in when it is making the noise.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Get it to the nearest Honda dealer ASAP and be sure not to spend a single penny.

By the way, I paid the local dealership $600 to put in a new tranny provided by Honda, before knowing that they had extended the warranty. How would I go about trying to get my $600 back? Its been about a year since I had the transmission replaced.
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Just an observation in my 2004 Ody EX.

When I hit the defrost button for the front windshield, I have also to put the AC on as well manually for the windshield defrosting to work properly. It(i.e. AC on) does not come on automatically with the defrost button as it says in the owners manual.

Does other folks have to do the same?
  • Options
    ac2000ac2000 Member Posts: 36
    same here. mine makes noise all the time, i felt like driving a junk car!! it's just get wrose when i am at low speed and truning (e.g. getting into parking lot). I also have other common problems like vibrations and noise at 35-45 and 62-66 mph, vibration at idle. took my can ro dealers numerous times and no resolution for any of the problems. well, maybe it's really a junk after all. I am going to get rid of my van and get a toyota instead... no more honda for me. that's it!! :mad:
  • Options
    rockyteerockytee Member Posts: 35
    My 2000 Odyssey LX with 150.000 Km did this problem one morning (Dec. 6/05 When I start the engine, the RPM of the engine would go up and down. Turning it off and restarting would produce the same results. I finally put in in Drive where it did't do it. I shift it back to Park and the problem never came back. I wonder what the cause could be....anybody had this problem?

By the way, I tap on my dash board and it fixes my clock backlight too. Thanks.
  • Options
    stillniowastillniowa Member Posts: 5
    We'll the dealer has our van to fix the wind noise and to look at the heating system, top glove box, that you have to slam to get shut, and to inquire why our Gas milage is so poor. I hate to say it but I'm having buyers remorse. We purchased this van in Aug 2005 and since then it's had more problems that we ever had with our 2000 sienna that we had for 5 years and only took it in once for a door problem that was caused by a pop spill. I think that the Gas milage that they say this van gets and doesn't is grounds enough for asking for a full refund!!! Oh and the rental car we have sucks. They gave us a Grand Cherokee to use while they are fixing our van. We have 3 kids in car seat and they said this was the biggest suv they had. What a load of crap. This car bearly fits all three seats and what a pain it is to strap them all in every day.
  • Options
    FWIW:
    In my '03 Odyssey (LX - doesn't have auto climate control), if you press the windshield/defrost position, with the fan speed non-zero, the AC is automatically selected on.

Same thing in my '02 Accord.

This is typical Honda automation for the non-automated Climate Control; don't know about the EX.
  • Options
    jbuyerjbuyer Member Posts: 1
    Extended Warranty on the 2002 Odyssy Trans to 100K??? Dealer just told me it is out of warranty! Has 88K and it slips into 1st. (Makes redline rpms at cruising speed) Dealer reset electronics first time, then replaced trans selenoid on second, now they tell me it will be $4K for a new trans. Dealer also said they researched the warranty and said it was expired? If this is so common, one would assume the dealer and service centers are aware of it. Where is the truth on the extended warranty and were do I find info on the extended tranny waranty?
  • Options
    same here. mine makes noise all the time, i felt like driving a junk car!! it's just get wrose when i am at low speed and truning (e.g. getting into parking lot). I also have other common problems like vibrations and noise at 35-45 and 62-66 mph, vibration at idle. took my can ro dealers numerous times and no resolution for any of the problems. well, maybe it's really a junk after all. I am going to get rid of my van and get a toyota instead... no more honda for me. that's it!!

Out of curiosity, why have you hidden the vehicles you own, in your townhall profile ? Do you truly own the Odyssey ?
  • Options
    Thank you for info about posting protocal. I'm new to this type of info seeking.While I have you,how do I find out if anyone has responded to my question? Thanks,jj64...
  • Options
    I have a 2005 Odyssey and around 40mph and up I get a loud whistling noise coming from the right side of my windshield. I took it into dealer and they said they are aware of problem. They had my car for 3 days and told me every thing is ok now.Unfortunity,it's still not fixed.Dealer said they are waiting for more info from Honda.Has anyone else had this problem and my know what fix is? Thanks jj64
  • Options
    Thanks for your inputs.

My EX has auto climate control - so the scenario is a bit different.

Does anyone else out there with an EX experiencing what I am seeing, i.e. when I select the windshield defrost button, the AC does not come on automatically as stated in the owners manual?
  • Options
    I have the exact same issue. Honda is aware of the "whistling windshield" phenomenon and also has a "technical service bulletin" about it.

My dealer had my car for a couple of hours and replaced some kind of a seal on the windshield but that has not removed the noise entirely. It is still there. Since it does not impact the functionality of the car otherwise, I guess I will contact my dealer again when the car is in for its next service. Sorry could not be of more help.
  • Options
    i wish i don't...i have a 2005 EXL-RES...i trusted honda very much since i owned 2 before. Both of them are great cars..but the ody 2005 is just a junk..
  • Options
    srikanth2305srikanth2305 Member Posts: 22
    Report after the dealer checked my 2006 Odyssey which has 400 miles on it now.

The technician took it for test drive and said he is able to hear the noise I described. He took another 2006 Odyssey same configuration for a ride and we could hear pretty much the same noise when the engine RPM is between 2000 and 2200. He checked the engine mounts, exhaust and other visual checks on the vehicle and said everything is fine. He also said so far there is no recall or TSB from Honda on this issue. At least they have documented on my car so if and when Honda comes out with something they will be able to fix it.

How to make Honda acknowledge this issue and come out with some resolution?

:confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    You say your 2005 EXL-RES is "junk". Could you be more specific ? What are the problems you are facing ? Has your dealership not been able to resolve your issues ? What was their response when you approached them with your problems ? What is your mileage ? I suppose your car is still under warranty.

I have a 2005 EXL-NAV-RES and have a windshield that makes a whistling sound when speeds exceed around 40mph and earlier I had a noisy brake issue (resolved with different pads). There is also a slight roughness in the engine from around 2100 rpm to around 2500 rpm but I have written that away as a characteristic of the cylinder deactivation. Now it has been around 16,500 miles and the vehicle is pretty much perfect other than the above, relatively minor issues. So when you come online and say that a car that is still under warranty is "junk", that surprises me. :confuse:
  • Options
    roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    I took in my 1999 Odyssey (with 84,000 miles on it) yesterday to check on my slipping transmission. "Yes, we will order a new transmission for you," they said. Thank God for entended warrantys so Honda picks up the tab. While they are in there, I was wondering if it would be a good time to replace the timing belt or any other 100k replacements items. Does anyone having experienced a tranmision replacement any suggestions what else to check or replace at this time? Thanks for your input.
    Merry Christmas, John
  • Options
    At 84K, the timing is about right for a timing belt change.

If you into the engine for a timing belt change, you should change the waterpump as well as it is easily accessible then. Waterpump can easily go noisy at 84K+ miles.

For insurance against problems, I have always changed my tranny fluid evry 20K miles. It is so easy in the Hondas as there is a drain plug to empty the old fluid and you can easily pour in the new fluid(ATF-Z1) through the tranny dip stick cylinder. A piece of cake.
  • Options
    baskaransbaskarans Member Posts: 3
    I had the transmission replaced under warranty recently in my 2001 Honda Odyssey with about 35000 miles (mostly city driving). I used to get about 18 mpg. Now I am getting only 14-15 mpg in city driving. I took the van back to the dealer who replaced the transmission. He checked the computer and said everything looks fine. He set the tire pressure to the spec (it was a little low, may be). But it made no difference. I am still getting barely 15 mpg. I am looking for some advice folks!!!
  • Options
    Go direct to Honda. They should probably pick up the cost. (I think you can either call Honda customer service or ask the dealer for the zone manager or something)
  • Options
    my van vibrates pretty bad (at least i think) when came to a stop (with headlight off and ac off). If I turn the headlight on, or ac on, or simply roll down or up the windows, the vibration is gone. I have visited 2 dealers in the area i lived and the responses i got was:
    1. did you purchase the car from us?? I don't know why they ask this question.

2. Other cars are making the same vibrations..this is totally bs, I actually tried another 2006 inthe lot and it doesn't have the vibration problem like mine..dealer told me that 2006 is different from 2005..bs again??

3. It the characteristics of my van...

4. there is not a single van in the nation having the same problem as mine (don't know how they know it)

My van vibrates at start, makes humming nose at 35-40 mph, and it gets really loud at 62-65 mph even if ECO light is off. I can't even cruise at that speed. And now I am experiencing the noise from the power steering motor...Bad things just keep coming...i have not experienced the brake noise problem, yet....probably because i only put 4K miles on it. Anyway, I have never owned a car with issues (big or small) as many as ody. this is not a 16k car, i paid 30k+ for it, and i do not expect to get a car with quality this low. and i don't have time to take may car to the dealer (i had total 5 visits already)..it's waste of my time and money..can you see my frustrations? :sick:
  • Options
    2001odyssey2001odyssey Member Posts: 1
    With the talk about transmission problems with the Odyssey, should I be towing a boat? I do have the transmission cooler installed.
  • Options
    This is an interesting question. The Honda recall bulletin for the 5spd ('02 - '04 models) states the tranny will be inspected for 2nd gear damage. They are looking for color changes indicating high heat condition, or actual physical damage like chipped teeth. If there is signs of wear, the tranny will be replaced. If not, the fluid flow fix will be applied. I didn't see any limit on time or mileage for this action.

But no where did I ever see anything about warranty coverage after this on-time inspection (replace or add fix). My assumption was that the balance of the regular warranty applied, or the typical 1 year / 12k miles that applies to dealer shop installed parts if you were over the 3yr/36k when you got the recall letter. Or in my case, the coverage is the HondaCare 7yr/100k extended warranty.

If anyone sees some fine print somewhere that contradicts this, I am sure that everyone would like to know! I don't believe that there is a blanket extended warranty on the '02-'04 units like there was on the '99-'01.

But make a case anyhow and let us know the outcome. If enough failures actually occur and complaints are registered, maybe Honda will change their policy.

Steve
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    As long as you don't exceed towing capacity and as long as you stay out of overdrive you should be okay with the cooler.
  • Options
    I don't know. I just sort of heard around that they had extended the Odyssey transmission warranties on the ones with the new 5 speed automatic.
  • Options
    rbbrbb Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any data on what percentage of '06 Ody's have this wind noise coming from the front windshield. I recently test drove one and noticed this on their demo. Then came home and found this form and was amazed at the number of complaints. Glad to hear there is a fix but with some mixed results.

I'd love to buy an Ody because we've had great experiences with previous Hondas. But concerned about this and the transmission issues. Any thoughts out there? Thanks in advanced!link">
  • Options
    OK, I checked this for you earlier this evening. I have an '02 EX, but it is always possible that they made some minor change in the operational logic...

I was running it in 'Auto' mode @ 68', but with the "A/C Off" with flow directed to the floor. When I pushed the button for windshield defrost flow, the "A/C Off" changed to "A/C On". When I pushed it again (to turn it off), the A/C also went back to off.

Hope this helps.

Steve
  • Options
    siruvaluresiruvalure Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone please advice why the A/C turns on automatically even when the auto switch is off, I just want the fan. Why do I have to turn the A/C off manually everytime. I have a 2005 Odyssey EX.
  • Options
    stillniowastillniowa Member Posts: 5
    The Honda dealer took our van and had it for 4 days to fix the numerous problems. They inturn gave us the most compact SUV around they could find and we squeezed our three car seats into the back seat. What a pain!!!! When to pick the van up on Tuesday they said it would be ready by noon and so I drove the 90 mile trip to the dealer only to find out that they ordered the wrong part and the van wouldn't be ready until after 4. Needless to say I had to hurry around and make arrangements for my kids to be picked up at school and taken to a friends house since my hubby was leaving on a business trip and couldn't do it. What a hassel!!!

Spent the better part of a day killing time while the SUV guzzeled up gas, even worse milage than the van, but not by much.

Picked up the van and was pleased to hear no wind noise and the glove boxs was repaired and will now shut on the first time with minimal force. Yeah!!!! On the other hand the heater problem, doesn't seem to be a real problem and the dealer went to compare a new van like our and found the heater to be operating like it was intended. Yeah right!!! what a bummer, My feet are always freezing since the fan barely blow heat toward the floor boards:(

As far as gas milage they can't help us with why we barely get 19MPG if That. I want Honda to pay for the diffence in Gas that we are paying!!!!What Liers to say this van gets 28.DREAM ON!!!!

I'm done with my HONDA VENT, for now.
    Tracey, one dissapointed 2005 Van owner.
  • Options
    you fill the car at the pump, reset the odometer, take the vehicle for a cruise on the HWY at constant speed under 70, for almost a complete tank of gas, fill up again and divide miles driven as indicated on the odometer by gallons just pumped, and you get 19MPG?
This discussion has been closed.