Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    markmcdonough1markmcdonough1 Member Posts: 10
    For whatever it's worth, we too have been having the tranning noise in D4 from around 50-60 mph. Sounds like the car is lugging. (Sometimes also described as the torque-converter lockup problem, I think.) It seems to have decreased a bit, but it's still there.

Has anyone heard anything from their dealers about this lately? My dealer (Hersons in Bethesda, MD) doesn't seem to take it very seriously. Their helpful suggestion was that we drive the car in D3 all the time!!!!

Mark
  • Options
    marya2marya2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info for AC Whitney. It seems to be the only place I can find the seat covers, but they are expensive. I will keep looking and let you know if I find any cheaper.
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Marya:

There are a few other web sites, go to yahoo shopping and search for car seat cover. JC Whitney price 99 per set is not cheap, some are even higher. I had a friend who went to local Upholstery shop for his Toyota Sienna. I think they pay more. I have to ask him when I see him this weekend.

Good luck,

bjk
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Marya,

Are you by any chance located in SoCal? If you are, I can refer you to a local auto upholster (they don't have a website though). I got mine for $395 this includes all the seats, headrests, and armrests. The covers are customized so that you don't have the generic "dress/skirt" look.
  • Options
    2kody2kody Member Posts: 2
    Haven't check this message board lately but is anyone having problems with their spoiler gasket coming loose? I just noticed it while washing the van yesterday.
  • Options
    edwinfongedwinfong Member Posts: 25
    It happened to my 2000 LX, the dealer took off the rear spoiler and reglued the gasket
    under warranty. No big deal.
  • Options
    uncle_aluncle_al Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I'm new to "Town Hall" and I am in need of some help from other Ody owners. here is the scenario: 2001 Odyssey EX, obtained Sep 00. Vehicle now has 7400 miles showing. At approx 6000 miles, the security system failed. The sytem will not engage with the key fob. All doors will lock, however ,when locking, the lights will not flash and the security system indicator on the tach does not flash. If I (intentionally) leave a door window open and lock the vehicle using the key fob, I can enter the vehicle by simply reaching thru the open window and unlocking the door.
    At first the service advisor tried to convince me the vehicle has no security system, thats what the tech told him. It was up to me to convince both of them wrong which I did. Then I had to convince them how the system is intended to work and I had to use another customer vehicle to show them.
    Without a bunch of finger pointing here, let me just say that so far two (different) control units have been replaced and now they tell me the problem is the left side fuse box. Tomorrow, 06/15/01, I will be taking the vehicle back for the fifth attempt at repairing the system.
    I'm looking for any help I can get on getting the system to work as intended. That is all I want from the dealer, nothing else. I just cant seem to understand the rationale of replacing the fuse box. Any suggestions? Any input at all?
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Sounds like incompetent dealer to me. Have you tried other dealer?
  • Options
    uncle_aluncle_al Member Posts: 2
    But when you see the tech pushing around his buddy on a two wheeled dolly when he is SUPPOSED to be working on your vehicle, you can only wonder. And this is supposedly THE NUMBER ONE HONDA DEALER IN CENTRAL FLORIDA. The number two dealer is even worse and has just changed hands. The nearest reliable dealer is 35 miles away. But I can see the trip becoming a neccessity.
  • Options
    luder01mkhluder01mkh Member Posts: 2
    CA12394 and RICTOM:

Update..just spent 3 hrs at the dealer and they put my '01 EX on a special machine that detects problems in 3D. Said one of the back casters were slightly off and fixed it to specs. Mech took it for a spin twice and said that it has a "normal road crown drift". Tested it coming home on the highway - middle lane - seems to drift a little but better than before. Does that seem right? Or the guys just bs-ing me (being a female).

CA 12394 - did you have your's looked at yet?

Opinions??
  • Options
    ca12394ca12394 Member Posts: 4
    luder01:

The mech did some minor tweaks to wheel alignment. The report he printed for me shows that changes in the camber/caster settings were very minor, as they were already within specs. At first, I thought it improved slightly. However, when I went back home, I found that the tire pressure on the LF tire was 2psi higher than the RF one. Equalized that and found it pulled and drifted as before! Incidentally, when I first picked up the car, the LF tire was 4psi higher than the rest. Just wondering if they are trying to fool the customer (refer to #20 and #22 for similar reports on unequal tire pressure at pick-up time).

When I took the car in yesterday, I showed them the TSB. Afterwards, the advisor said they don't do the subframe pull anymore. Too bad I was too distracted to ask him why. Anyway, I have called them again to book another appt.

Have read in another post that it may take several tries before it's fixed. So, have asked the dealer to consider other options. Will provide another update after the next appt.

Luder01, FYI, the TSB states that, if the car takes more than 6 secs of drifting to make a complete lane change at 55mph (i.e. 90km/h), then Honda will consider it as 'normal'. Well, I cannot agree with that because none of the dozen of cars that I have owned over the years did that!

Drew, thanks for pointing me to the Accessories board. I will be installing the ROSS system soon.
    Too bad I cannot get the Bosch one that you mentioned.

Question to all ROSS owners: can the system detect obstacles/people that are in the rear but slightly off to the side?

Thanks all,
    ca
  • Options
    sab2624sab2624 Member Posts: 7
    I have heard there is a TSB coming out on the spoiler gasket. Beware....I had mine reglued once already and it came out again within 3 months. Hopefully TSB resolves permanently.
  • Options
    meklirmeklir Member Posts: 2
    Here's an odd one. I periodically get a rapid three-beat "clicking" from my front right speaker. It kind of sounds like someone "tsk-tsk"-ing a naughty child. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to its occurrence--sometimes every 30 seconds; sometimes every three weeks! Any thoughts?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Do you have a cell phone anywhere near the radio? In my Accord, I keep my phone in the open bin below the phone. I can tell there is an incoming call about 2 seconds before my phone rings.
  • Options
    cebrencebren Member Posts: 7
    Neither of my Accessory Power Sockets are working. Can someone please tell me the location of the fuse that controls them? I find no mention of the fuse for these sockets on pages 311-316 of my owner's manual. It lists four separate fuse boxes with each fuse numbered, but no mention of which is for the acc. power sockets.
  • Options
    mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    In response to message #903, my mom has a 2000 Odyssey EX with 30,000 miles on it and has heard that same noise you are describing. It started about 2 months after she took delivery and the district manager at our Honda dealer test drove it and said it was ok. I have heard many complaints on this and other forums about this exact problem. She is taking it into the dealer for the 30,000 mile service and maybe they can finally do something as it is getting very annoying. I will post a response if we get any positive results.
  • Options
    dholt2dholt2 Member Posts: 1
    Please help!! My husband and I are really wanting to buy the new Odyssey EX, but are concerned about the estimated miles per gallon of 18/25. We currently own a 1999 Accord and get between 19 and 20 (in town)mpg. Since my husband is about to retire, I am concerned about this purchase. Could several of you let me know how your Odysseys have compared? We would greatly appreciate it!
  • Options
    meklirmeklir Member Posts: 2
    robr2--Yes, I keep my phone below the radio. But I never get incoming calls (the phone is pretty much just for emergencies). I'll have to pay attention to whether the phone being "on" or "off" has any effect on the clicking. Thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    katmicalekatmicale Member Posts: 6
    I just read some previous postings..around the #880s. A few complaints about the power doors. I'm having identical problems. Very rarely though.
    Two different problems. The slider on the driver's side occasionally beeps while I'm driving for no reason. I stop the car... hit the dash button. The door will open, then close, but not engage all the way... it'll just beep. I have to open it and close it a few times.
    Then there's the second problem, which is only on the passenger side. When the door is open and I go to close it by pulling the handle, it seems "dead". As if the power to it were cut.
    I have to push buttons a few times till it eventually kicks in.
    My van is a 2000 EX... bought it new this past November (it was stuck on a dock somewhere!). Taking it in tomorrow. They said they are going to change the locks. Hope that works! I'll let you know.
  • Options
    catalkirecatalkire Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Odyssey LX with about 32,000 miles on it. I noticed recently that the engine has started to knock under load. I changed the plugs but the knock is still there. I have been using 87 octane since it was new with no problems and excellent gas mileage. Has anyone else had this problem and/or give advise?
  • Options
    lorhiplorhip Member Posts: 1
    I was opening my slider door slowly, in front of 20 other people at BAMM! it just shattered for no reason anyone could fathom, has this ever happened to anyone out there???
  • Options
    wkthall2wkthall2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All! Although I have read the postings on this web site for several months now, this is the first time I have left a message.

Last week I took my 2001 Ody to get the windshield replaced due to a interior crack near its base (cause: cowl clip forced during installation) and for the third visit to replace wheel well trim (cause: bad adhesive). Also when the AC engaged it periodically would create a loud clunk which you could feel. As it turned out there was a TSB for the pulley and associated clutch on the AC. I was also unhappy how the cowl trim at the base of windshield was warping.

It took the dealer three windshields (one week) to complete the repair: One wrong windshield; One broken; Third a charm. The wheel trim appears to be holding (although if it doesn't I am getting a refund). AC is fine. And the new cowl is warped just the same (I have looked at other new Ody's and ditto).

Although a week without my Ody, the dealer handled it well.

P.S. Took a trip this last weekend deep into the Ozark Mountains (Arkansas, Buffalo River area) There were a total of: four adults, two children, large cooler, double stroller, luggage (no, we are not the Clampetts), etc... 350 miles in one day and enjoyed the drive.

I will return with updates on my Ody in the future.
  • Options
    wakbeigelwakbeigel Member Posts: 9
    The engine in our 2001 Ody LX occasionally dies when we shift from Park to Reverse or Drive. It is a random accurance, and happens between 3 and 9 times per week. Just before it dies, I've noticed the idiot lights in the dash board light-up like a Christmas tree - then it dies. Very aggravating, and it is difficult to replicate; it just happens randomly. I am afraid to waste my time at a dealer only to have them tell me "we can't replicate the problem". Any ideas, or like experiences?
  • Options
    richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    This is just a hunch, but your observation about the idiot lights may provide the clue... there is an old saying shared by computer geeks, electricians and mechanics... when EVERYTHING goes wrong at once, and it doesn't make any sense, it must be a bad ground. I would check the ground cable attachments at he battery and the engine block. Shifting into gear causes the engine to rock in its mounts, then the bad ground confuses all the sensors and interrupts ignition and/or fuel injection. That's my plausible scenario, but it may not be what's happening, because I would expect you to see idiot lights flashing when traversing bumps, rounding corners, or at some time other than just shifting into gear. Anything that causes stalling should set a code in the "On Board Diagnostics phase II" (OBD-2) memory, which the dealership would be able to check. (Just because it should, doesn't mean it did, though).

Good Luck,
    Rich
  • Options
    sz1sz1 Member Posts: 31
    Is there a site where we can see what Honda tells the dealers needs to be repaired/replaced on Ody's?

It would be nice to go to the dealer with this info in hand when getting service done.

Thanks
    Steven
  • Options
    pyhsiehpyhsieh Member Posts: 7
    The power sliding door (driver side) on my 2000EX Ody (10,000 miles) stopped functioning without any obvious reason. Took it to the dealer. The dealer replaced the latch. What might be the cause for the latch to die suddenly? Any thoughts? Thanks!
  • Options
    fhorowitzfhorowitz Member Posts: 4
    I have a "99 Odyssey and just experienced a left door problem. First it would not close and then when I played with it and opened the gas door, the door would not open or close. My dealer fixed both doors by replacing the latch assemblies. I assume that this was a problem that is fairly common among Odyssey owners.
  • Options
    masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    could you tell me the TSB number on the AC fix. If your dealer's repair invoice is like mine it should list it on there. I have had that problem as well but whenever I'm at the dealer it doesn't seem to do it. Thanks for your time
  • Options
    rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    luder01mkh:

My 2000 Odyssey didn't/hasn't pulled to the right--at least not what I noticed. My problem was a vibration in the steering wheel when I did 75mph or higher. Since getting the alloy rims and Michelin tires that problem seems to have gone and the whole van seems to ride smoother. I did look for the pull to the right when I got my Ody but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me.
  • Options
    2heeldrive2heeldrive Member Posts: 87
    I have a 2000 LX with Firestone tires. I just changed the oil and while rooting around I looked at the tires and noticed that the tread is only about 1/32" above the wear bars. Not enough tread will be left to make it through the winter. I would expect tires to last much longer than 16,500 miles. I have been rotating the tires at 6000 miles and keep the air pressure close to the maximum printed on the tire. I have almost always been able to get 40,000 miles out of a set of tires. I wonder if the tires are too small for the size and weight of this vehicle.

TIA.

2HD
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I have had windows blow out on two different cars(neither the Odyssey). I got the idea from the glass shop this isn't that uncommon. You are the third question, first Odyssey one, I've seen about this since I started looking at these boards(about 6mo). Apparently, it is caused by extreme pressure changes or extreme body flexing. From how it happened in your case I'd guess pressure change.

Just be glad you weren't doing seventy when it happened as it is quite unsettling.
    I can attest that safety glass works. The windows crumbled into small granules.
  • Options
    catalkirecatalkire Member Posts: 2
    I have 32,000 on my LX with Firestone tires, and they look like they could make it to 40k. As for maximum tire pressure, don't go by what is on the tire, but instead, use the recommended tire pressure printed on the label inside the driver's door jam.
  • Options
    leabealeabea Member Posts: 1
    My problem is minor but messy. Our 2000 Odyssey drink holders don't hold! Every time our kids have tried to use the drink holders, their drinks go flying spilling milk and coke all over my van.
    Stained and Angry.
    Help.
  • Options
    gfxguygfxguy Member Posts: 18
    The left door is not supposed to open when the gas door open. The manual says if you keep fiddling with it, it might open anyway, but you are supposed to avoid using it when you are using the gas door.

If it was only the left side, and the gas door was closed, maybe there is a problem with the sensor indicating wether the gas door is closed or open.
  • Options
    skubesskubes Member Posts: 19
    I replaced my Firestones at 36,000.
    And leabea, the drink holders have been recognized as worthless on this board for years. Everyone buys cup holder inserts from WalMart that adjust to fit any drink (go to auto accessory dept.) Only problem is the Walmart inserts are so wide you can only use 1 insert for the forward 2 cup holders and 1 in the rear for the second row people.
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    I put a little over 60,000 miles on the Firestone Affinity tires that came on my 99EX. They look like they would do another 3-4k, but winter was coming at the time. FWIW, I always carry 500-600 lbs of 'gear' in the back luggage well; so the question about the tires being not strong enough for the vehicle weight is probably moot.

If your tires are wearing prematurely, check the alignment and tire pressures.
  • Options
    mr_dmr_d Member Posts: 10
    Steven:

I "cut" this from another board. This might be what you are looking for.

Don

*******************************************************************************************

"Where did you get the Service Bulletin Number and the valuable information? It seems that it is very helpful and informative."

Try www.honda-odyssey.com, then click on "Info" in the menu. It's still being worked on, but all of the recalls and TSBs for each year including the Isuzu Oasis are on the page.

Jim
    www.honda-odyssey.com
  • Options
    The next question would be where can one obtain copies of the actual TSB so as to see what actually is supposed to be done. Any ideas?
  • Options
    You can get them from Alldata.com, but not without paying for them. Even independent mechanics have to subscribe to a service to get the text of TSB's...only the dealers get them for free. If you go looking, remember that the Odyssey is considered a Honda TRUCK.
  • Options
    soutosouto Member Posts: 1
    I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY OF YOUR ODYSSEYS HAVE TURN ON THE CHECK ENGINE AND (TCS) TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM LIGHT CONSTANTLY. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT A LOOSE GAS CAP OR FUELING THE MINI VAN WITH THE ENGINE TURN ON. THE TCS IN MY MINI VAN IS NOT USED. I MAINTAIN IT OFF ALL THE TIME.
    MY DEALER REPLACE THE OXYGEN SENSOR YESTERDAY AND TODAY THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND TCS LIGHT ARE ON AGAIN.
    WOULD THIS BE THE COMPUTER MODULE? WHERE CAN I GET SOME HELP. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCES.

REGARDS,

DESPERATE ODYSSEY OWNER
  • Options
    ca12394ca12394 Member Posts: 4
    An update to my previous post on this topic:

Cross-rotated the tires and inspected for loose bolts. Still pulling to right.

Next steps:
    1) Force dealer to do TSB 00-67. He previously refused, saying that the subframe pull can cause a whole lot of other problems. He also alluded to another TSb that supersedes this one. However, I cannot find such a TSB at all.

2) Bring the car to another dealer. I called several. Only one understood what I was saying and said they have worked on this problem before.

3) Have Michelin inspect the tires for possible problems. I called Tire Rack and they said it could be due to defective tires causing radial pull.

Will provide another update as soon as one of the above is done. In the meantime, will appreciate further suggestions. Thanks.
  • Options
    slockoslocko Member Posts: 111
    the cup holder accessories from the 2001 are available for the 2000. you can buy them online at www.handaaccessories.com is the link i believe.
  • Options
    I know (from experience) that it is frustrating, but you'll have to give the dealer (or another dealer) another chance.

There are several possible failures that can cause both the TCS and Check Engine lights to come on... it is unlikely, but not impossible, that you have a faulty ECM (a.k.a. "computer module"). More likely to be a bad connection or a bad sensor.

You only think you keep the TCS turned off -- as backwards as this sounds, the TCS light would be ON all the time if you had TCS turned off. When the TCS is turned on, the light comes on when the TCS detects wheelspin...otherwise the light is off if TCS is on. If you don't believe, or understand what I just wrote, I encourage you to read about it in the manual...I think Honda said it better.

I was accused of leaving the gas cap loose on mine, even though the Check Engine light came on about 350 miles after I left the gas station. The service manager scolded me, reset the light and sent me on my way. I drove from the dealer to the gas station, filled up, counted the clicks and headed home. The next day the check engine light came on again, I returned to the now contrite service manager, who had to order parts and kept my van from Friday morning till Monday night. I reminded him that if he had listened to my objections, he would have had the parts on Friday, and was given a loaner. Why does the dealer think someone who bought a VAN would find a Cavalier Coupe or a Corolla (the only two vehicles I have been offered as a loaner) adequate to meet his needs? Also note that taking a loaner involves a wait for a driver followed by a 15 minute ride to the rental car place to pick up the loaner...a procedure which must be reversed when returning to pick up the van. Ugh!

Anyway, the point is that they got mine fixed on the second try, and your's probably will be too.
  • Options
    Check Alldata's Website. At Honda's request they have removed all Honda TSB's.
  • Options
    Mine has done this for quite a while. I have a "home brew" fix that lasts for 10,000-20,000 miles, but they come back.

There is a TSB out on this problem. Apparently, the EGR ports get clogged with carbon in the intake manifold. The fix is to reroute the PCV valve to the front of the engine, remove the manifold and clean out the ports. Get yur dealer to look up the TSB. It's listed on the NHTSA web site.

My "home brew" fix is a lot quicker to do, but isn't permanent.
  • Options
    The NHTSA Service Bulletin numbers for the problem are: SB615781 (main one) and SB10605 and SB613524.
  • Options
    jacklewjacklew Member Posts: 6
    Decided to look further. There are only 136 TSBs among the 2001, 2000, 1999 Odysseys. Some are not unique as they may apply to multiple year models.

At http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb

Make: honda truck

Model: odyssey

Year: 2001 or 2000 or 1999 or leave blank for all years

There isn't much except for summaries. Happy reading.

Jack

• Options
    fried2fried2 Member Posts: 13
    Had same problem with Check Engine Light. We had previously had the EGR piping modification made. Dealer changed O2 sensor, cleaned the EGR a couple times - no help. They finally replaced the EGR valve and things are perfect again. They did this work at no charge even though we had 41K on the van - it is probably covered by the Emissions warranty which lasts several more years. I made posts on this board also dealing the symptoms before the problem was fixed if you are interested.
  • Options
    I am disappointed to report that I just got off the phone with the official reply from Honda "Customer Service" about my 1999 EX which has consumed coolant at the rate of about 1 quart per 5,000 miles since new. The official verdict is: "Coolant does not evaporate, if it passes a pressure test (it does) and there is no coolant in the oil (the oil has not sent for analysis, despite me requesting it three or four times, but there is not noticeable foaming) then Honda's engineers and product specialists have no idea where it is going. The dealer should continue to monitor the situation." GREAT! They can't figure it out either, but they don't plan to do anything about it. I was assured though, that, "we stand behind our product". Whatever.

I know that my problem is unusual... I've been repeatedly told that it is unprecedented. When I was first told that Honda's Tech line said it was unprecedented, I was also told that it would be fixed, or Honda would want to have my van back, to investigate the problem. That was in May of 1999. I guess they lost interest in the meantime.

Also at that time, the mechanic was instructed to "seal" the coolant recovery bottle and radiator cap because "the owner may be siphoning the coolant." Why would I want do that on my van which had, at the time, about 5,000 miles? At any rate the mechanic did tape the caps on, and the coolant level continued to drop.

I've had a new Radiator, suggested a new radiator cap, though I'm not sure that has been tried, and suggested oil analysis. All coolant additions have been made by the dealer. The problem has proceeded too slowly (not enough repair attempts within a year) to fall under Colorado's Lemon Law. I have probably been too patient, never becoming unreasonable.

I still like the Odyssey, would buy another, just wish this little, persistent problem would go away. I worry about my wife and kids getting stranded... actually, it would be just as bad if I was along. I can't help thinking a major failure is coming and so what if Honda stands behind it when it fails? I've given them more than two years to figure it out and fix it!

I'm glad none of the rest of you are having to live with this problem, and it really hasn't caused much down time for the van... just a lot of visits to the dealership, and that constant wondering.

I'm out of ideas, guess I'll just have to wait for it to 1) get worse, 2) get better, or 3) stay the same and make me nutty.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    Have you looked or had them look at the area just under the EGR valve. They tend to seep coolant at the gasket for that Egr crossover manifold. You will see it if you look for it if its there. It will be runnung down the the motor onto the transmission. Sometimes very light and hard to see but just give it a try..It usally burns off before reaching the ground..Good luck
This discussion has been closed.