Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    nice links, only one worked it it was just people complaining, no actuall discussion of what might be wrong with the transmission or what to do about it.

Try:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

• Options
    mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    My mom has a 2000 Odyssey EX with about 40000 miles on it. We have had many of the problems mentioned on this board: A/C knocking noise at idle, squeaky rear window motors, noise at 50+mpg when trans goes into overdrive, gas sloshing noise, and vehicle drift. All of these problems besides the noise at 50+mph and the gas tank sloshing noise have been fixed by the dealer. We have not had any problems with the transmission or the sliding doors. All in all I think it is a very nice minivan, although I wish they would put some of the other creature comforts that the Chrysler minivans have (tri-zone climate control, trip computer with compass, and a nicer sound system) I hope Honda addresses these issues when they redesign the Odyssey in 2004 or 2005.
    As far as Chrysler minivans go we have had an 89 and a 92 Grand Caravan. Both vans had the 70000mile/7 year warranty. The 89 with a 3.0 V6 was on its third transmission when we traded it for the 92. The first trans lasted until 2 years with 55,000 miles on it. The second one only lasted for 4 months although I think it was more the fault of the dealer not flushing the torque converter when they replaced the trans. The final straw came when the car started to burn oil around 72,000 miles because the head gasket was leaking. Thankfully the dealer paid to fix it since we were just out of the warranty. We decided to trade it for a 92 hoping it would be better. The 92 with a 3.3 V6 seemed to have more annoying little things wrong with it. The driver's side wiper arm pivot broke as we were driving home from a vacation in blinding rain, the rear liftgate supports broke, the serpetine belt always squealed and was replaced 4 times, and the belt tensioner failed and the belt came off the pulleys rendering the car undrivable. The transmission was replaced at the 60,000 mile service because there were metal shavings in the pan, probably because the dealer we bought it from damaged something when it was replaced before. The first dealer also forgot to plug the fan back in after replacing the coolant so the car almost overheated. We finally sold the car in 98 with 115,000 miles on it. Of all the American car companies I like Chrysler the best. I think they have greatly improved their cars and vans over the last several years.
    I would also like to say that I think Honda quality has gone down in the last several years due to Honda producing most of their cars in the U.S. We have had many more warranty repairs with my moms 2000 Odyssey than we have had with my 93 Accord EX bought new by my parents. The 93 has 143,000 miles on it now and we have not had any engine or transmission problems with it yet. The only problem we had with it in the first 100,000 miles was the failure of the distributor at 87,000 miles. I had to replace the front springs at 120,000 miles, the exhaust system at 133,000 miles, the power steering pump at 138,000 miles, and a set of brake pads front and rear besides the normal maintenance items. Not too bad a repair history. I wish Honda still produced cars like they used to.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    and you are really scaring me! For years I leased my vehicles, but am looking to buy a van this time as a longer term 'keeper'. My present ride turns into a pumpkin on March 5, 2002, so I was going to order an Odyssey EX this week for delivery in late February. My previous vans were:

'97 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport - 3 yr lease, returned with 43k miles. Weak points - siezed front brake calipers, re-occuring 'check engine' light, some intermittent electrical gremlins. A slow (3.3L) but otherwise excellent vehicle.

2000 Ford Windstar SE - 2 yr lease expiring as above. Present mileage 26k. Weak points - tranny failure at 8k miles, two power seat switches replaced, 3 recalls, otherwise also very good. Even the dual power doors have been virtually faultless.

In both cases, the dealer support was impeccable (Mid Hudson Valley region, NY). The Ford dealer even provides a loaner with service visits, and put us in a replacement Windstar when the tranny failed.

So now the dilemma. I know we got of easy on reliability issues with the two 'American' products. Statistically, it seems most Caravan & Windstar owners go thru much worse. But I am also tired of lugging out 120+ lb rear seats, some strange ergonomics, high initial price (even with dealer discounts) coupled with poor resale value, etc.

My friends and family members say to try a Honda. Our passenger cars have been mostly Toyota's, so we are used to first class reliability. But from what I am reading here, the Odyssey van seems to suffer from decidedly un-Honda like design/build/reliability issues. Can I expect better from a 2002? I know that it has a new design 5spd auto, but is it any more robust? What don't people like about the power doors? Is there a build fix for the alignment problems? We were able to briefly drive an '01 during the summer. We liked most aspects, but found the front seat cushions unsupportive (Japanese spec. ;-) not long or wide enough for our fat American tushes). Otherwise, well done.

Maybe a minivan's heft simply overwhelmes car based components. Or Honda doesn't yet have the experience base to debug and get it 'just right'. Any comments are appreciated as we are within days of making an expensive commitment and are getting cold feet......

Thanks,

Steve
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    My 01 Ex-Nav has never been to the shop except for maintainance. Remember these sites are for people who have had a problem. The happy ones aren't around that much. YOu will have less problem with your Odyssey than many other makes. They are made by humans and they make mistakes. I worked at GM for 35 years and let me tell you even the robots make mistakes. This is the first vehicle we have had in many years that hasn't been back to the dealer.
  • Options
    calgcalg Member Posts: 53
    We also love and recommend our van. We have 28,000 miles on our 2001 EX and have had NO problems. The power sliding doors are great and we have had no alignment issues. The magic seat makes the cargo space unbelievable! The 2002 only gets better with the increased horsepower, leather, entertainment system, etc. We paid under MSRP for our van and have had only pleasant experiences with our dearlership when purchasing the van and when it is in for required maintenance. Honda does seem to listen to consumers and each year this van only gets better and better. Hope this helps make you feel better if you decide to go with the Odyssey.
  • Options
    captevanscaptevans Member Posts: 14
    I'm at 14,000 on my 01 ex with no problems, and it has been superb for a year in all weather conditions, across country, in traffic etc. Wife initiallyh thought it was too big, and wanted mazda mpv, but we have used the extra space a couple times and been glad about it. Had to adjust to its eating gas in city driving when prices were nudging two bucks, but that figures for a heavy car. Am wondering about the extended warranty though, and couldn't quite figure out the chat above about the extended warranty not working...anyone else have experiences good or bad with the extended warranty? Recommendations?
  • Options
    wdroswdros Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 LX with about 15,000 miles. Lately, I noticed the front brakes has started squeeking when applied. Even more, a continous hissing sound continues to come from the front brakes even after I lift my foot off the brake pedale. Grinding sound is also heard on some occasions when I hit the brakes. My question is: is this normal? if the dealer says I need new pads, should I be charged for a break job at 15,000 miles?
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have been a contributor to the Subaru board for a few months, and you are correct in your comments that only the down side tends to get aired. One must temper judgement accordingly.

Beth and I drove an '02 EX yesterday at our prospective dealer for about a half hour and compared and contrasted it to our '00 Windstar and previous '97 Dodge GC Sport. Overall, it is a very nice vehicle. With $250 down, we are now on the list with a request for delivery in late Feb to coincide with return of the Windstar.

Our main concern was the power doors. Ford simply executed this feature better. The movements and locking were clunky, and they rattled something awful on anything but smooth pavement. I could see them flex and shimmy as we drove. I hope this is an exception - maybe a van built early Monday morning....

Steve
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I have a 99 Ody with almost 49K miles on it.
    Are you all having uncharacteritic warm weather ? That is because I replced my original Firestone tires about 5 K miles earlier than I had to, so I would have new tires for Winter weather.
    The only problem I have had is a truck threw up a stone that cracked my windshield. My insurance covered 100 % replacement cost.The glass repair Co. vacuumed out my defrost vents, cleaned my dash and the glass is so clean it looks almost invisible. It was worth the hastle to get everything so clean.
    I have not had a single problem with it. I went 48 K miles on all original equipment.
  • Options
    chicagokidchicagokid Member Posts: 3
    Appears Honda has solved any trans problems as the 02 model now is a 5 speed auto. The horsepower is bumped up to 240 (possbily the fastest minivan on the planet) and is the same engine used in the Acura MDX. The 02 now has 4 wheel disc brakes, and side front airbags all as standard. This is one sweet machine, and no complaints so far other than the "kid" who shot my tailgate with a BB gun and cost $200 to repair at a body shop. I liked the Toyota as well, and it was quieter than the Ody, but it didn't ride as well and was a lot smaller. I'm only 5'6' but I noticed the differencce right away. JD Power survey came out on 4-5 year old vehicles and the best minivan was Honda Ody, Toyota Previa (pre-Sienna) and the Isuzu Oasis (built by Honda) Overall, Lexus was top maker followed by Infinity, Jaguar, Ford, Toyota and Honda.
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    The 4-5 year old Odyssey is a different creature. It was based on the Accord Chassis and had a 4 cylinder engine. It and the Oasis are the same vehicle.
  • Options
    hcar2hcar2 Member Posts: 5
    Just came back from local Honda dealer in west county of St. Louis after having got ripped off $71.24 to reset the "Maintenance Reqd" light in my Honda 2001 Accord. I bought my second Honda after having no problems with my first Honda. However, I didn't realize that Honda dealers have become "greedy" now-a-days, charging premium prices on several models, doing service that is unnecessary and ripping off their customers like me to reset a simple switch!

I would check not only the vehicle but also the associated dealer network for honesty, integrity, and customer service before selecting a particular vehicle. I was leaning towards buying third Honda vehicle (Acura) before this incident happened. Now, I would definitely go to competitor brands like Lexus or Infiniti.

Has anyone faced the similar situation with their Honda dealer?
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    Did you not read your owner's manual? Reset instructions for the Maintenance Required Light are included.

Did you not ask how much the repair/service would cost? That question should be a normal part of any service operation. I always ask for a written quotation, and write on the work order that no additional work is to be done.

When I do these simple things, I never have a problem.
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I'll reset it for only $49.95. You hold in the odometer reset button with the engine off. Turn the key just enough to turn on the dash lights :Don't start it and keep holding the odometer switch in until the service light goes off. I accept personal checks. ;)
  • Options
    clone24clone24 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, you should ask those questions and read the manual but still - shouldn't the service guy have told him the above procedure or at least that it's in the manual instead of grabbing $70+? I would think any good business would have.
  • Options
    jmnygaardjmnygaard Member Posts: 48
    Since you have driven mostly Toyotas, why you are not considering the Sienna? It is a good van, possibly more "reliable" than the Odyssey. Is it because of the fold up, rather than disappearing, rear seat? Personally, I like the Odyssey better for it's size, standard features, and rear seat. But if reliablity is your main criteria, you may be happier with the Sienna.
  • Options
    flxomacflxomac Member Posts: 13
    I was told by my salesman that the fuel cap should be tighten to 3 audible "clicks" to ensure that no additional air is allowed to enter the system, as this might damage fuel efficiency of ody. true or false? any other consequencies?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...should be tightened a certain number of clicks (how many I don't know) in order to ensure that the fuel system is sealed. If not, your check engine light will come on as the fuel system and gas cap are considered part of the emmissions system. This applies to all cars today I believe.

I typically ratchet mine about a half to full turn after the clicks begin. AFAIK, you can't overtighten it.
  • Options
    tranmitranmi Member Posts: 12
    There are no proof for that. Your Check Engine Light may come on if you don't tight your gas cap.
  • Options
    vprawicavprawica Member Posts: 6
    My 01 ody EX is already leaking transmission fluid. Anyone else have same problem. I also noticed that vehicle downshifts hard when accelerating after making a turn or not stopping completely at a stop sign. Very annoying.
  • Options
    larcklarck Member Posts: 22
    Yup!! I have posted here before stating most Ody's are junk. And they are!! You all know it; you're just in denial because you paid sticker just like me. I have a 2000 LX that has dripped tranny fluid from the day I took delivery on 12/21/99. It is not enough to make a puddle on the garage floor but the bell housing is always damp with fluid. The dealer is not any help. He says many cars leak various fluids with no ill effects. His advice is to just check the level at fuel stops.

Post #1415 speaks to dealer greed. That guy is a saint compared to the dealer I purchased mine from (Louisville, Kentucky in eastern Jefferson county). If my dealer wasn't selling cars, he would be boosting them! Maybe that is why I am down on Honda these days.

Chrysler TC's rule once again. Check out the 2002 model and you will forget about the magic seat. Which is why 62% of the people bought Ody's anyway; just like me.

Your pal,
    Larck
  • Options
    mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    My mom has a 2000 Odyssey EX with 40,000 miles and it doesn't leak trans fluid and performs vey well, so I would suggest that you take your vehicle to another dealer and have them check it over because this is definetely a warranty issue. No vehicle should drip any fluids, especially one that is only 1-2 years old. The dealer is bogus and is probably one of those dealers who likes to get your money and then drops you. Hopefully you have another dealer close by, but if not it might be worth the extra few miles to get some better customer service. Honda does seem to have more than its share of transmission problems with their V6's but hopefully the new 5 speed auto is free of defects. Good luck.
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Larck,

Sorry to hear about your problems with Honda, but I have to jump in and say that I am lucky? to not have had any of the problems you mentioned. Of course I only have 12,000 miles on mine so far, only time will tell. When you said that most Ody's are junk, I assume that you have sources backing it up, that the failure rate for Ody's are 50% or higher? Just checking, might want to reword that to "many" or "some".
    If you bought the Ody solely for the magic seat, than well it's your own call I guess. We bought ours for the following reasons: Honda reliability, good engine, good cargo space and great crash test ratings, of course the magic seat was kind of neat too. Maybe you should re-examine your decision criteria a little more carefully next time.
    Heck, if the T&C shows improved reliability (about 5-10 years worth) AND if my Ody self-destructs AND DC gets better crash ratings then I would seriously consider a DC van. Until that time, it's the Ody for me. Good luck in your future purchase.

Regards,

DTKWOK
  • Options
    4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    It is already a fact that Chrysler has improved its reliability and quality over the last year or two. Just look at the ownership satisfaction of Town & Country owners and Consumer Reports rating for the 2001 Town & Country, which is much better now that in was for the 96-98 model years.

From what I've read on this board it seems to me as though Honda is the one that has to show some quality improvement with their minivans, just as Chrysler is doing now. We have 33k miles on our 2000 Town & Country LX and it drives just as it did the day we drove it home. My neighbor has a 97 Town & Country LXi with 75k miles and no problems as does my other neighbor with TWO 2000 Grand Caravan SE models who love their two vans.
  • Options
    The question for me is not whether or not DC has increased their reliability, but whether they have increased it to MY definition of reliability which is to go at least 150,000 miles with no major repairs or failures (especially out of warranty). Now, that has yet to remain to be seen. Heck, just making it to 100,000 miles with no problems is no cause for celebration IMHO. All of our other cars (3) have at least 125,000 miles with no problems, two of them are at around 180,000 miles, the third one at 127,000 miles. Granted the Ody had a rough start in '99, Honda at least tries to fix the problem in a timely manner (i.e. within a decade?).
  • Options
    dbarnettdbarnett Member Posts: 8
    I have 850 miles on my exl granite green and am very pleased to date. I had the opportunity to use the 240 hp for the first time today due to some, lets just say, poor decision making on my part. I was impressed to say the least. Even for an ex-motocross racer. All I need now is a few hills to climb.
  • Options
    bglass3vabglass3va Member Posts: 10
    We've had our van since July...Maybe this was something that I just did not notice before, since my wife is the main driver of the van, but the wiper seem to leave the windshield very blurry in bad weather...gave me a headache..I have new blades on my '92 Camry and they work perfectly...any one else had this problem..it really couldn't be normal wear and tear, could it.

Thanks
  • Options
    Sounds like you need to replace them. They only last 6-12 months, depending on your area.

FWIW, don't buy the kind with the plastic frames - I don't remember which brand that is. The wipers are just too long for the plastic; and, when I had them, the wipers would turn on their sides during use and the plastic frame would clack against the windshield.
  • Options
    Actually, we did look at a '00 Toyota when the GC lease was up. Although we liked the way it drove (felt like 'home' to long time Toyota owners), it is small inside. Very little room behind the 3rd row, etc. Also at the time it lacked traction control, a must-have item where we built our new home. Called the Honda dealer, but then the wait was closer to 5 months in our area. Even the Windstar that we settled on feels small inside compared to the Chrysler products. But we wanted 5-star safety and traction control, so the Ford was it....

This time we are shopping early and looking at everything. The T&C still feels more roomy to me (especially leg room in 2nd & 3rd row), but I am so tired of lugging out seats myself. The magic bench is a huge selling point. Again, I have no real beef with my experience with D-C or Ford, but the Toyota/Nissan/Mazda vans are smaller, and I live in hope that the Ody will be more easy to reconfigure the interior, and overall more reliable. Hey, if I find a made a mistake, I will ditch it and move on........

BTW, nobody has a monopoly on build quality these days. My sister and b-in-law are long time Honda fanatics and had a generation-1 Ody, a '96, I think. When their lease was up in '99 their dealer couldn't get them a new gen-2 Ody quickly enough, so they leased a '99 Sienna. Now for them this was a big jump in space, so they are very happy with this size and decided to stay with it. So this past September the '99 was exchanged for a '02. They had the new van for 2 days when the engine blew. Final diagnosis was a cooling system blockage, but it was in the shop for weeks. She prevailed (NJ lemon law) and got a replacement van in mid-November.

Or maybe it is just them.... The family kidded them unmercifully a few weeks ago at a party. Everyone remembers that they also had to have legal intervention on their mid '90's Accord V6 to get an electrical gremlin exorcised. Car spent 50+ days in the shop in a 6 month period as the engine kept shutting down intermittently.

Steve
  • Options
    By the way, the sheet metal is thinner in our Odyssey than it is in other cars. The tail gate has finger dents below the handle even though we try to be as careful as possible when closing it.

Why just the other day we ran out of aluminum foil. My wife grabbed the passenger side door of the Ody (after she got it unstuck) and used it to wrap the turkey leftovers. As a replacement, I plan on using some heavy duty Reynold's wrap or maybe a large pie pan.

By the way, hello to all the Honda engineers who read this forum!

Your pal,
    Larck
  • Options
    Here's an idea, just ditch the darn van and get something you'll be happy with (I'm sure there are many people who would buy it off of you). Life's too short to remain bitter, so why waste your time telling everyone how much you despise the Odyssey and Honda in general and move on? Sure constructive criticism is always welcomed, key word: constructive, not sarcsam

By the way, we have no dents on our rear hatch so far, that handle on the latch is great for pulling the latch down. Come to think of it, why are you pressing on the hatch in the first place? Yeah, that aluminum foil is really special considering it helped the Odyssey earn its 5 star rating.
  • Options
    twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    I have a 2000 LX with the grey upholstery. It wears quicker than anything I've ever had in a car, including some el-cheapos. Child seats that don't leave a dent in my '92 Accord fabric have caused wear spots in my Ody.

I'm now ready to replace the Accord, and I consider the crummy fabric to be a factor in deciding whether to go Honda again, since the LX fabric on the current Accords and the LX/EX fabric on the Civics seems pretty similar to the garbage on my '00 Ody.

Other than the upholstery, the van has been virtually trouble free in 2+ years.

twist
  • Options
    minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    I used to own an '00 EX. After I calculated that I spent more than the equivalent of a day's work in and out of Honda service (and the power door problems still were not fixed, plus other failures - though not tranny) Honda did get me a new '01. Overall, I am moderately pleased w/ the van, and very pleased w/ Honda standing behind the product, but after a large hiatus from Town Hall, I trolled on in tonight to lament about power sliders sticking in a moderately cold New England winter night. And don't forget, this van was built (and is for sale in) Canada! Slight oversight there?

I think the design and build of this van was a challenge for Honda. And they did OK - they won Edmunds minivan challenge and others as well (although they lost the one heavily advertised by DC a while back where the '02 DC van was comapred to everone else's '01 vans - give me a break!).
    There are some very nice design features (magic seat, utility of large size and powerful engine, great handling/ride - both my wife and mother noticed how much better the ride compared to my sister's Windstar). There are, however, some over-the-top features which are nice but not completely necessary and Honda should have done a better job in design (namely power doors). Then there's just the plain old never-should-have-happenned-especially-in-a-Honda problems like tranny problems, numerous recalls in '99 and '00 vans, the emission problems requiring warranty extension...

Many owners have had great luck, and there are posters with many, many miles on '99 and '00 models with nary a major problem. But unlike the legendary Accord and Civic (and recenly CR rated CR-V the most reliable vehicle out there) Odyssey has not consistantly stacked up to be the very best.

If I had to buy a new van today, I do not think there is a clear choice. Every manufacturer has its ups and downs - ?quality, size, resale, options/features... I almost think that if in the market for a minivan today I would capatalize on the depreciation of DC vehicles and purchase a 1 or 2 year old DC van W/O the power sliding doors (as convenient as they are, they do you no god when they are in the shop or frozen shut!). In a used van, if problems surface you are not married to (or fuming at) a $26k machine, and with an extended warranty you should still get a good 5 years out of any modern auto w/o problem.

Just a few pennies on the subject.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You have a van that weighs over 4000lbs. now with its almumium foil sheel. If you want 1/4" plate next time buy a Brinks truck.
  • Options
    edwardfedwardf Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Odyssey - with approximately 25k miles on it - has a strange problem. I believe from the very beginning... At low engine revs (1200 - 1500 rpm) and driving at a steady speed (20-25 mph) - such as crawling in traffic - the car starts to "buck". Not violently but very noticeable. It seems the controller is not able to find the right gear to stay in/jump to or the torque converter is not functioning properly. It seems to be getting worse over time. There are times when the car just can't be driven at low speeds consistently, you have to juice the accelerator to move the revs up to get the shuttering to stop. Anyone have a problem like this? No surprise my dealer has "never heard of this problem" and even has the guts to say that Odysseys don't have transmission problems - HA!

Would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks in advance,

-Keerock
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    There's one of this guy in every forum in town hall...take it with a grain of salt :)
  • Options
    jd37jd37 Member Posts: 4
    I wanted to buy the Sienna because I liked its' smooth ride (I was trading in a '99 Camry). My friend convinced me that the '02 ODY would be as smooth or smoother than the Sienna. I also liked Honda's simple LX, EX and EXL bundles - it takes a rocket scientist to figure out the right combination of model and options on the Sienna.

Anyway, I got my '02 ODY EX in October (27190 + tax+ $40 doc fee + cassette player free). I love the van except for one major problem. At low speeds and even SLIGHTLY uneven roads, the back doors sqeak like it is a 10 year old car and it's driving me nuts. I took it to the dealer and he said the doors needs tightening. It hasn't helped. Has anyone out there has similar problems? Or is it common with all minivans?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    dgx3dgx3 Member Posts: 2
    Picked up our '02 GG EXL-RES last Friday and it's everything I had read about including the slider door rattles. Read on another Ody site that it has to do with the weather-stripping and that Honda may be coming out with a new design. Hope it's true! To much money for a van with these type of problems.
  • Options
    aldooleyaldooley Member Posts: 3
    I finally figured out why the tilt angle of the driver seat needed to be re-adjusted every time I got in the van.

Stepping out of the van compresses the door side of the driver's seat, allowing my leg to press on the tilt control, causing the seat to tilt backward as I get out.
  • Options
    Whenever I'm driving at highway speed (55-65 MPH) in 4th (highest) gear, I can distinctly hear what I believe is engine knocking/detonation.

I've noticed there is a big drop in RPM from 3rd to 4th, and the knock will always be there. It's like 4th is too tall for this engine.

If I take my foot off the gas, it stops. If I downshift, it stops. It is only heard in 4th gear. It is marginally better if I use Cruise Control, but still there.

Anyone else seen/heard this? Known bug? Fix?

I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow for the 22,500 service, and I'll mention it, along with the panel door that occasionally beeps when closed, and has (one time) refused to open using the Open button in the car.

- Al
  • Options
    Sorry for the serial posting, but I just found this place, so I'm a little behind...

Where can I find a list of Service Bulletins for my 2000 Odyssey? I've heard that dealers sometimes don't tell customers about them unless specifically asked.

Are there a lot for 2000? Any really major ones I should know about?

Thanks and take care.

- Al
  • Options
    skubesskubes Member Posts: 19
    Have had noisy brakes since 7000 miles on my 99 LX. (Now have over 50,000). Got new pads under warranty then that helped briefly. After that I was told "metallic brake pads all do this." Every time checked, told all was fine by dealer. Finally went to Midas and had rotors turned and new pads. Peace and quiet for a while. Now just as loud as before. Dealer says it's the non-Honda pads from Midas, except I went to Midas because Honda pads did the same. People stare as I stop at corners. How will I ever tell when I really do need new brakes since they always sound awful? Is everyone living with this embarrassment??
  • Options
    wdroswdros Member Posts: 6
    Well, I took my 2001 ody to the dealer with 16,000 miles complaining of squeky breaks. He said the pads are worn out and the rotors are warped and that I needed new pads and the rotors turned for $250. (he says going somwhere else will void warranty)

A BREAK JOB at 16,000 miles (one year after delivery) THAT SOUNDS ABSURED! Any thoughts? pleasee, reply, I told him not to do anything. I need help.
  • Options
    minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    Them's the breaks on the brakes.
    Try taking it to another dealer for another opinion. Perhaps you can convince someone else to consider this seemingly inappropriate wear and cover under warranty. Unless you do a ton of stop and go driving, this does seem kind of soon. How are the tires wearing?
  • Options
    A list of them can be found at the following URL. The list doesn't give much detail, but it does tell you what they are.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/index.html

Odysseys are listed under "Honda Truck".

• Options
    steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    I think that the dealer is blowing smoke on the warranty issue with having the brakes repaired somewhere else. The only warranty that would be void is on the brakes themselves and they are out of warranty already (otherwise they wouldn't be trying to stick you for $250). I would get quotes from other shops and make sure that anybody that does the work is willing to offer a warranty on their repair.
  • Options
    I really do own a used Brink's truck! How did you know? Its dented too. A cement truck backed into it at a job site and the back of the darn thing just caved in. Now just imagine if it was the Ody I was driving that day.

Your Pal,
    Larck
  • Options
    Physics would tell us that although the Ody would sustain damage, it'll probably not be as much as the Brinks, because the Ody would be easily pushed by the cement truck since it is lighter than the security trucks (less inertia). Also, with the crush zones on the Odyssey, less stress would be placed on the occupants than in the Brinks truck. (Don't know about you, but I palce the well being of myself and my passengers ahead of vehicle...) Armor plating's great for ballistic projectiles but suck in fully dissipating shock loads. So what was the point of that last post?

BTW, you wouldn't happen to be a Psychology student conducting some evaluation on this site would you? It is considered unethical and will be cause for explusion from your educational institute. Of course there are some who just thrives on the misery of others. Either way, good day to you too!

DTKWOK
  • Options
    01odyowner01odyowner Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. This is my first post, so bear with me if I rant and rave.
    1. Picked up van April 2001, after waiting 7 months.
    2. Noticed the thumping sound coming from the rear of the van. Concerned, I went back to dealer. They said it was normal. STRIKE ONE.
    3. At about 1500 miles the front brakes started squealing during light braking and while backing out of my driveway. STRIKE TWO.
    4. Now with about 4000 miles on the van, I have noticed the sliders are squeaking when closed, especially when going up or down a driveway apron and when traveling on roads that are even slightly bumpy. STRIKE THREE.

I had to wait seven long months for this van. And now I don't even want to drive the darn thing. I mean, if all this has happened so soon, what else am I in for?

Took the van in for the first service last week and told the dealer to check the brakes and the sliders. They adjusted the doors. It was good for about a day, the squeaking is now worse than before. The squealing brakes (oh, you'll love this one) are caused by "condensation" which forms on the rotors as they cool down. I told you it was a good one. I've been working on brakes for 20 years and I know what causes squealing on disc brakes and it sure ain't condensation.

I guess I should have bought a Ford, Dodge or Chevy. At least I would have expected problems.
  • Options
    Regarding your problems:

(1) The thumping problem is most likely caused by the gas sloshing in your tank.

(2)Squeaky brakes? I have 13,000 miles + on van and don't have that problem, I do hear the brake pad shift when going in reverse though.

(3)squeaky sliders can be fixed by quick application of silicone grease, works for about half a year for me.

Please go ahead and purchase a Ford, Dodge, Chevy (insert domestic brand here) and be happy with it. Since you were expecting problems with those brands, are you saying that people who buy domestics expect problems from their vehicles? Didn't you test drive this van before purchasing? Don't give me this story about how there weren't any available to test drive, you just weren't looking/pushing hard enough to get one, and we got our van back in February of this year too (waited 3 weeks in our area, southern California).

So what do you expect Honda to do about all of this? Buy it back? Give you a new one? It helps to know what your goals are and proceed from there, rather than rant and rave (it gets you no where). Good luck with your decision.
This discussion has been closed.