Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Is this car still under warrenty? If Not I would really complain to everyone that will listen. Get customer service involved. The most you should pay is $1000. Other people on this forum had transmission problems and out of warrenty and Honda picked up most of the cost because they complained.
  • Options
    soccermom5soccermom5 Member Posts: 2
    Is the recirculate mode the one where the little red light comes on, on the button with the car on it? If so, I hardly ever use that unless there is a reason to do so--driving through a smoky area, going past a bus or a car with dark exhaust fumes pouring out, etc. Is too much water vapor something that can be fixed by the dealer? Or do I just need to do what you suggested? I will try not using the recirculate button at all the next few days. (I hope the weather is warm enough to use the AC.)
    If I am wrong on that button, someone please set me straight! Thanks again.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If you don't run it in recir. mode all the time then maybe the drain hose is plugged or partly plugged allowing the water to sit there and turn to mildew. Have the dealer check it and clean.

Sheet metal quality by ukrick: On the paint chip I doubt very seriously that this is warranty anymore then if you get hit by a truck. The rust could be just surface rust and not the metal rusting. I would clean it and use a little touchup paint. Apply thin coats and don't go outside the chip itself. A few thin coats will build the paint backup to the same thickness of the orginal. It will never be completely gone but should look better than it does now if done right.
  • Options
    jeffreykimjeffreykim Member Posts: 7
    Thanks dchopp. The van is not under warranty. I didn't know that Honda would pick up the tab. I'll start with the customer service.
  • Options
    bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    One way to try and reduce the odor from the AC is to turn the unit off a few minutes before shutting the vehicle off. This will involve some timing on your part (remembering to turn off the AC a few minutes before arriving at your destination) but it may help to lessen the smell.
  • Options
    apt17apt17 Member Posts: 2
    I have 600 miles on my car. My transmission will begin shifting up and down with constant accelerator pressure (noticed it at 35 and 75 mph)-- sporadically. Honda service people say it is normal, that it is the computer trying to find the optimum gear for gas mileage. Also, the abs will grab when light pedal force applied going down a hill --sometimes. The abs doesn't seem to operate consistently. Honda says I just have to get used to how it works. Anyone else have any problems like this?
  • Options
    jeffreykimjeffreykim Member Posts: 7
    After checking out various websites' postings related to tranny problems I believe that there definitely is a pattern and that is the tranny makes grinding or rumble noise at about 50-55 mph constantly shifting up and down between 3rd and 4th gear. I think the noise is due to bad Differential Bearings. Now the question is why do bearings go bad so early? Can anyone with Mechanical/Automotive Engineering background answer that for all of us Ody owners?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Are you feeling a thumping in the brake pedal or do you feel the van slowing down harshly? If it is the latter, that is normal as Honda uses a Grade Logic algorithm in the transmission. It senses brake use on down slopes and downshifts the transmission to aid in braking.
  • Options
    rmjzrmjz Member Posts: 1
    Soccermom, Dchopp,
    I have a 2000 ODY and the odor started yesterday, 5/9/2002. I'm currently runnin the ODY with the recirc off (light off) and the windows and doors open. Dchopp, is there a way I can check/unplug the drain hose myself? Soccremom, has your problem been fixed? If so how.
    Thanks,

rmjz@wideopenwest.com.
  • Options
    apt17apt17 Member Posts: 2
    It is the van slowing down harshly. Guess I will have to get used to it. Thanks.
  • Options
    mazyck53mazyck53 Member Posts: 2
    I too am a newbie to this...we have a 2002 Ody EX.We are hearing that Honda has put out a bulletin saying that they do not reccommend towing of any type w/o having a tranny cooler and a p/s cooler. The salesman told us that the book says that it can tow up to 2500lbs w/o any trouble. Talked to a service mgr. who told us about the bulletin from Honda...salesman and sales manager knew nothing about it Is there anybody out there with a 2002 Ody that has towed with theirs and have they experienced any trouble with the transmission? If so, how has Honda handeled it. We have a 10 ft. popup camper we will be towing....1500 lbs max weight...I need to hear from some of you soon...by the by, the Ody is the best mini van out there...it's not perfect but it is the best available...thanks
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    There is "towing with a van" topic somewhat below this one. You may want to skip down to it. I have a 99 ODY and at the time they only recommended the transmission cooler. I don't believe they even offered a p/s cooler. At least my dealer didn't. I got the Honda hitch and tranny cooler but have never towed anything.
  • Options
    pymmpymm Member Posts: 20
    uk, interesting to see your post. I have a 2001 Ody, bought in January 2001, and began to experience the paint chipping on the hood a mere few months after purchase. Started out as a small fleck, then another, then another, then another. Took it to the dealership and they shrugged--"you've been hitting rocks." I found, and still find, this very difficult to believe as I had very few miles on the car and hadn't taken on any really serious roads. Too many flecks in too little time.

I was just gearing up to fight the problem and insist on remedy from the dealership, when an 18 year old came flying out of a side street and did over $2,000 worth of damage to the front of the van. His insurance fixed the problem--new hood, new paint.

I was really disappointed in the quality of material? paint? on the front of the van. I found no other areas of the van that experienced the same chipping--at least not yet.

I was wondering--we bought the van the day it came in from the manufacturer, shrink wrapped and all. I was thinking the problem might be that the factory was in such a rush to get the van to market, they applied the shrinkwrap too fast on not-quite-dry paint?

Good luck and let us know what happens. I feel strongly this should be covered under warranty, but the dealership is gonna continue to blame rocks would be my guess.
  • Options
    factory was in such a rush to get the van to market, they applied the shrinkwrap too fast on not-quite-dry paint?

The van is painted as a bare body and then put through a oven which bakes the paint on. Then it proceeds on through the rest of the plant having all the glass and interior trim applied. This could take a day or two or longer depending on the day of the week its painted. If painted on a Friday the van would set until Monday. If it flecked and not from stones than its possible that someone didn't prepare the hood properly before the paint process.
  • Options
    shahsgshahsg Member Posts: 3
    I have purchased 2002 LX about 10 days ago and has 400 miles on it. When it had 60 miles, I took the van to dealer for wheel alingment. Last night we had a rain and this morning when I drove the van I noticed that there is a water spalshing noise coming from rear passanger (right) door. I can hear the water splasing noise by the rear passanger door. When I am waiting at traffic light and start the van I hear the water splashing noise. I called the dealer and they say that I am hearing the half full gas tank. Dearler say the gas tank is located by the right rear passanger door. I am taking the van to dealer for check up. I like to know if anybody have notice or hear the water splashing noise.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The gas tank has a definite sloshing sound to it - just the nature of a low, flat gas tank.

It happens typically on starting and stopping. You'll stop hearing it soon enough.
  • Options
    ukrickukrick Member Posts: 66
    I'm just disappointed in the sheet metal quality of Honda. I've got a Ford that's 7 years old with numerous small flecks due to rocks on the front of the hood. None of them have any kind of surface rust at all. Kind of depressing after paying that much money for such poor quality of materials.
  • Options
    flxomacflxomac Member Posts: 13
    I'm getting this squeaky sound from the engine area (far as I can tell) while driving, this happens more often than not. this sound started after I had my tires rotated (first time tires were rotated)but I don't know if this would be the cause.

anyone out there with similar problem??

thanks
  • Options
    Who did your tire rotation ? I would call and ask whomever did your tire rotation if there was somthing that could cause the squeak. Of course, it just may be the squeaky wheel is now on the front
  • Options
    shahsgshahsg Member Posts: 3
    The water noise is not there anymore, but even I have same amount of gas in the gas tank (little more than half tank) I do not here the splashing sound. My question is if I am hearing the gas tank noise, then why I do not hear it again. Do you think it will go away in just one day.
  • Options
    bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    If it were me, I'd probably opt for the tranny cooler and skip the P.S. cooler. For the most part, towing a 1,500 lb trailer should be fine without anything unless you tow in some very steep terraine, (remember when you'd see family sedans and staition wagons towing all kinds of stuff with just a hitch?) . I'd opt for the tranny cooler just in case you ever had transmission problems - Honda couldn't come back to you with, "not covered - you towed without a transmission cooler." A tranny is a lot more expensive to replacde than a power steering pump so I'd do the tranny and take my chances with the PS. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    engisfunengisfun Member Posts: 1
    This is a 2000 Odyssey with automatic dual sliding door.
    While I was starting the car this afternoon, and closing the sliding door at the same time from a warm start, the electricity got totally cut off, killed the engine, the clock and radio went dead. I was just about to open the hood to check the fuses, the door light and clock come back on. The car then start and work just fine. So the power was off for just about 5s. The clock time didn't get reset, but I've to re-enter the anti-theft code for the radio though.
    Similar event happened once about 2 month ago. At that time, the engine was already started, but the door was half way closing. I checked all the fuse, and then the power came back. I was suspecting a loose master fuse, but wasn't able to verified that.
  • Options
    johnnyrfjohnnyrf Member Posts: 65
    Well, the driver's side window on our 99 EX Odyssey stopped working a few weeks ago (motor worked, window didn't move). I brought it in to the dealer. Dealer diagnosed problem: "the glass has detached from the clips that are bonded to that mount to the mechanism. Don't worry, your Honda Care Extended Warranty will cover it."
    Well, the parts were ordered, vehicle repaired and the dealer processed the claim. Honda Care rejects the claim stating that the repair is not covered. Why????? because the Honda care rep states that "fastening/securing hardware" is not covered by the warranty. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't every damn part in an Odyssey fastened and secured by definition??????
    The dealer wants me to pay $160 of the $240 bill.
    ANy suggestions on what to do?????
  • Options
    Yeah, tell them to take a flying leap!!! Can you say small claims court....I knew you could. Seriously, that's a crock. So I guess if the engine fell out that wouldn't be covered either because of the fasteners??? Yeah right!!
  • Options
    Your Honda Care Warranty indicates what is not covered. I do not see anything about Fastening and securing on mine therefor it must be covered. Call other Honda service dept. and ask them.
  • Options
    joes14joes14 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are considering purchasing a 99 Odyssey. I drove it the other day and it was nice, really tight, no noises. It has a little over 60,000 miles and they're asking $16,500. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    Try using Edmunds TMV for Used Vehicles. $16,500 sounds too good to be true.
  • Options
    habs11habs11 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry for a repeat question - I saw this addresses a few months ago but I wanted more opinions.

I have an opportunity to save $1000 by picking up the 2002 ody a couple hours away. The return trip will be all highway. Should I periodically (every 30 miles or so)get off the Xway to get the engine to change gears? Also should the AT fluid be changed soon after purchase?
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've got a co-worker with an Odyssey, and her gas tank flap won't open (I'm not familiar with the vehicle, but it sounds like she's got a handle near the front seat you pull to open the flap). She's seriously low on fuel, but can't get the thing open to put any in there (and is afraid she doesn't have enough to make it to the dealer).

Any tricks or quick fix known to get the flap open?
  • Options
    Make sure the sliding door is completely closed and it should be locked. Should do it automatically as this is a safety so you can't open the door while fueling. But more than likely the pull handle is out of adjustment and may need to be seen by the dealer to get it adjusted.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    We just went out and looked at it, and it turns out the disconnect cable was working fine, but for whatever reason the spring or whatever causes the door to spring open is either missing or malfunctioning. It was dark in the parking deck, so I couldn't see exactly what should have made the door spring open, but at least she can now get it open (by pulling the lever inside, then using a credit card to pop the door open) until she gets a chance to have it fixed.

It looked like there was the switch the cable connected to, as well as a refrigerator-door type sensor that I assume keeps the sliding door from opening when the fuel door opens. Anyone know what should have been in there that typically makes the door spring open? I didn't see anything in there that would do so.
  • Options
    bakalarbakalar Member Posts: 2
    How serious is this problem?
  • Options
    jnash2jnash2 Member Posts: 31
    "If it is the latter, that is normal as Honda uses a Grade Logic algorithm in the transmission. It senses brake use on down slopes and downshifts the transmission to aid in braking."

Where does it say this? In the manual somewhere? I asked my service manager about this and he said the tranny only senses uphill grades. But I do notice abrupt downshifting on downgrades sometimes, not much though.
  • Options
    donbroerdonbroer Member Posts: 15
    The Ody senses braking on the downhill and downshifts. This is stated in the owner's manual.
    I go down a hill every day coming home from work and it downshifts after I apply the brakes with some pressure, not a panic type, but firmly. Why would you want to sense the grade going uphill? It will also downshift if the RPMs drop low enough when going up
  • Options
    van4me429van4me429 Member Posts: 2
    My new Odyssey drifts left (ie let go of wheel and eventually goes to left, usually in 3-6 seconds). Dealer aligned it twice and checked all types of tire rotation. No improvement. Anyone notice similar? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    On the gas door itself there should be a round landing pad for the pin switch to land/sit against. The pin switch is the black rod that you see on the body side and is what tells the door system what position the gas door is in. This pin switch is what pushes the gas door open as it is opening. My guess is that the round pad is either missing or an old style oblonged type and needs the fat round style...Good luck
  • Options
    Are you sure the road you are on when you test it is FLAT? The slightest slope will cause a drift. Check the tire pressure also.
  • Options
    jcampa1jcampa1 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am definitely happy with my new purchase. Already went on a camping trip with my family from Miami to Tampa-(Bush Gardens). Towed a utility trailer with 2500lbs worth of stuff. About 3500lbs in total and got 21 mpg. Smooth ride with no problems. Of course I did not push it on acceleration and I took off the cruise control and eased up on the gas pedal. Lost some speed but avoided all that down shifting. Also, I already bought the 7yr/100K warenty. Paid $1,025 not too bad. Well, happy motoring. (Next camping trip in June to Virginia and New York!)
  • Options
    What did they give you for trade in on the 2000 Oddy? (lx or ex)
  • Options
    mazyck53mazyck53 Member Posts: 2
    bdaddy, thanks for input...had a couple of events crop up. Negotiated for the tranny and p/s coolers provided by Honda and I agreed to pay for the labor...at worst we came out even in cost. Tranny cooler cost $239 by itself. Ridiculous. Any way, went to pick up the van, do the paper work,yada,yada,yada. Got home, checking over the van and didn't notice the coolers. Back tracked at the dealership and found out that they forgot to put them on. Not a good start to this relationship, but they said to come by and they will put them on......brother-in-law took his Ody in and they forgot to rotate the tires...do I smell a pattern here??? I'm new to this forum but have enjoyed reading all the other info from current owners...thanks again.
  • Options
    ltimmltimm Member Posts: 1
    If we are in an extremly windy area and traveling 60 miles an hr. or more we get this
    >LOUD whinning noise. Tried to pin-point it to an area in the car and as
    >close as we can guess, it sounds like it's on the passenger side. Had it in
    >to Honda dealer but unless you get the wind that we experience occasionally,
    >they claim they can't find the trouble. We are in the Tacoma, Wa. area
    >however
    >we travel down to Ca. and it almost always is noticable ( in some degree) on I-8
    >or 86S. Anyone hear of this problem???
  • Options
    jcampa1jcampa1 Member Posts: 7
    My 2000 Ody LX was in "better than new" condition when I traded it in with only 9000 miles on it. 1)The wheels were properly ballanced and rotated.
    2)The engine had Mobile 1 oil in it.
    3)The door seals were lubricated.
    5)I had a "Mellinia 7000" alarm installed with anti-car jacking option.
    5)Front windows tinted to match privacy glass.
    6)Complete tow package.
    7)Complete roof rack w/ duel bike racks.
    8)Seat covers, floor mats ect..........
    I paid 24k and sold it for 21,500 a 20 months later. I took the hit because I had to get rid of the van due to my problems with the "shimmy" on the Firestone and the transmission slipping. Hollywood Honda just wanted my money and totally ruined my long awaited "new car experience". Besides, the 2002 addressed all the "short commings" (not nessessarily flaws) of the 2000.
  • Options
    cwbeetlescwbeetles Member Posts: 9
    While trying to remove all of the dead love bugs on my new odyssey's windshield using a scrubber sponge, I caused light scratches all over my windshield. It makes is very difficult to see at night. Please, I would appreciate any suggestions on removing these. They are not deep enough to feel, but cause horrible light reflections at night.
  • Options
    That is a great trade in price. I traded in my wifes 1998 Pontiac Grand Am Gt when new I paid $17800 and the best I could get was $6200 and I had to fight for that figure. They only wanted to give me $ 5600.Honda holds its value unlike GM products
  • Options
    tpalmtpalm Member Posts: 1
    Dealership claims they need new latches. Anyway to avoid this cost and just have them be changed to a true manual door with out that resistance?
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    My only thought on this is if you have a honda roof rack then one or both of the bars may be reversed. The fat side should be in front. The early bars were mismarked from the supplier. If you dont have bars cant help you. good luck
    rockycow
  • Options
    I am assuming that you have a relatively new van. Some of the earlier vans had a front suspension minor problem. I believe that a nut has to be correctly tightened. There was a service bulletin on this. i believe. You may want to do a search on it.
    I have a 99 ODY and I can take my hands off the steering wheel on any "flat" road and it drives absolutely straight.
  • Options
    wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Unfortunately, sandwiched layers of glass in windshield are relatively soft and can be scratched. I don't think your comprehensive insurance will pay for a new windshield just because it's scratched.
    Try calling an auto glass shop. Some of them can polish moderate scratches out using an extremely fine abrasive buffing compund. Doesn't work on all scratches, but it's cheaper than buying a new windshield.
  • Options
    wheat3wheat3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new EX, 100 miles. Appears to make repetitious sharp screeching/vibration noises when accelerating between 15 and 45 mph. Wondering if related to gear shifting or something else. Any similar experiences? Will have to bring it in to dealer.
  • Options
    collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    Please let us know what your dealer finds. My new Ody also does not shift smoothly. Between 25-50mph the shifting is horrible. If I drive at a constant 45mph it is continously shifting between gears-it is very noticeable. When shifting at lower speeds it lurches. Please let me know if your dealer finds a remedy.
This discussion has been closed.