Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    I believe you can get these and also recalls on the NHTSA site.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    They could have got it from the Honda ISIS but the service bulletin number is 03-005 found on ISIS or the engine electrical section of paper bulletins..and the title of the bulletin is ..
    Charging System, Door, and Brake Light Indicators Come on While Driving.Covers All 2002 and some 2003 by VIN. Good luck
  • Options
    bostitchbostitch Member Posts: 3
    My '00 Ody with 35,000 miles rear tires open up like a VW with only a 100 lbs (my two kids)of cargo in back. Dealer said it war a "normal" thing for Ody's. Has anyone ever had this "normalcy"?
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    As I picture your description it sounds rather severe. I've had 7 people and and baggage plus a roof top carrier (max vehicle gross wt) and didn't notice anything unusual in the rear tires. Tire wear is an indicator that caster (top of the tire in and out) is not correct. If the caster is too positive (top of tires out) then you should have excess wear on the outside of the tires but not the inside. You might check your rear struts to see if they are leaking. I had one replaced at about 60K.
  • Options
    macodymacody Member Posts: 18
    Sorry for to cross post; wanted to update the tranny replacement on 99 odyssey.

To update:

Transmission replaced at no additional charge to us ($500 paid previous week for solenoid in tranny). Runs so much smoother! However, check engine light came on 2 miles from the dealership on the way home. Turned around and took it back in; code was "catalytic converter deterioration". Found out (from our service manual) that the o2 sensors and converter are removed to replace tranny. Returned the car this am for recheck; Honda replaced the converter at no additional charge. Have to say, as before, that my "faith" in the reliability is somewhat shaken, but the service provided by Honda so far is great.

Mac
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    Does a normal gravity drain on the 03 transmission take 3 qts of ATF to refill it like the earlier models (99 in my earlier case); or is it different? TIA!
  • Options
    Depending on how long you wait but usally on complete no drips change it is now 3.5 us quarts. Use Honda ATF-Z1 (ATF) for the best results of course...Hope all has been fine and your running trouble free..knock on wood...See ya
  • Options
    odyproblemodyproblem Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Odyssey DX with 83000 miles on it. My mechanic claims there is NO oil flow to the cam and rocker arms - the top of the engine. He has flushed the engine and the problem is not solved. The next step he plans (on Monday) is to remove the head gasket and physically clean the two oil flow channels in the engine. He also says he has never seen this happen before but that the oil flow channels seems to be blocked somehow. The engine makes a tapping sound and it seems to suggest contact between metal. He has also warned me that maybe the cam and the rocker arms will also have to be replaced.

I am confused because I thought Hondas had great engines. Is my mechanic right (it is going to cost me at least $ 1700 without any cams or rocker replacements) ? What could be possible reasons for blocked oil channels that do not clean after flushing ? How come neither the oil light nor the temp indicator show anything ?

Any quick suggestions are welcome.
  • Options
    Not to say that it can not happen but I have not seen anything like that. I would ask if any oil presure readings were taken and maybe get a secound shop to take a presure reading just in case mechanic 1 is missing something. Maybe it is a clogged oil pick up screen in the oil pan which I have seen on some service criminal cars. Good luck
  • Options
    davidm12davidm12 Member Posts: 12
    Occassionally, when I shift my 2000 Honda Odyssey into gear a buzzing sound comes from, seemingly, its cargo area. It stays on for the duration of the ride (could be a few hours). It's fixed by moving things around in the cargo area (or just opening and closing the cargo door a few times). I can't figure out the source of the noise; there are no lights that are on. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
        All sorts of interesting ways to make noise back there. Most obvious thing I can think of is your rear license plate. There's only the two bolts holding it at the top; it could be vibrating against the cargo door - try tightening the bolts or shimming the bottom of the license plate with a piece of cardboard or something to stop any vibrations.
        There's no other loose stuff in the well, or over in the side headrest storage area? Is the rear wiper tight, with a good insert in it? How about the center shoulder belt in 3rd row, could that be vibrating?
       Do you have kids that could've shoved something noisy in the spare tire bag storage bin? Mine left a bunch of metal washers in back seat cup holder then put a soda can on top - made for a frightening noise every time we went over a bump.
         Did your exhaust system take a hit so that it's moved out of position a bit? It could be rattling against something it's normally not supposed to touch. If you just started van and it's buzzing, try moving the tailpipe a bit (just make sure it's not hot when you grab it).
        Only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump - maybe it's starting to get noisy - but I wouldn't think it would be affected by opening/closing the hatch.
  • Options
    tcoultharttcoulthart Member Posts: 17
    We just completed a 2,500 mile trip for spring break and noticed a lot of "noise". Most of the noise comes when driving over 70 mph. I told my wife it must be the tires. The "noise" is a whistling sound and came from both sides of the van, any ideas if my guess on the tires is correct or if it might be something else. We average 24mph for the trip and this was for speeds between 75 and 80.
  • Options
    No, it's not that kind of noise. It's just a buzz, similar to when you leave keys in the ignition, or seat belt not fastened, or door not properly closed, etc (not necessarily in Odyssey but in other cars). It happens with the car standing in neutral as well
  • Options
    mpoissonmpoisson Member Posts: 8
    Is it the same sound as when the side doors are open and the car is in gear (more precisely - not in Park)? We had this problem and the dealer fixed it by simply cleaning the contact points on the front striker assembly (the one with all the silver shafts).
  • Options
    1candyman21candyman2 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone please tell me the location of the AC filter on my '01 Odyssey? I have worked on cars my whole life as a hobby, and like to do my own maintenance when possible (very meticulous). Also where do you recomend purchasing the service manual?
  • Options
    see post 2772 for cabin filter link.

You can order shop manual directly from Helm $70.

http://www.helminc.com/
  • Options
    Thanks, that's exactly the noise. The next dumb question: what is front striker assembly? Sounds like something that's located in the front, but the noise is coming from the cargo area and goes away after moving things around there or just opening and closing the cargo door.
  • Options
    rdietrichrdietrich Member Posts: 5
    The easiest way to determine if the buzzing sound is coming from the door striker assembly is to drive the car and turn off the switch above the door switches on the dashboard on the left side of the steering wheel. If the noise stops then you probably have a dirty contact in the door sensors. Take a big pink eraser and rub the tips of the little gold colored pegs on the leading edge of the sliding doors. Also use the eraser on the gold contacts on the door post where these pegs touch when the door shuts. This cleaning of the contacts will usually take care of the problem.
  • Options
    lemonadekinglemonadeking Member Posts: 4
    This means that the van was made at the Alabama plant
  • Options
    There is a kit available to the dealer to enlarge the hole in the intake and allow more room for air flow even if it clogs up. You could try to get one, if they'll help with parts, you can do the repair yourself with a drill.
  • Options
    This is an alternator problem. Parts just became available to the dealers, take in now and they can fix it.
  • Options
    bostitchbostitch Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, rockycow, will have the dealer look at it. Other wise I chekced thetires and there were fine no uneven wear on either side. i've also check the TSB for Odyssys and did not see suspension problem reported. Maybe I have to make a scene at the dealer to get noticed, have brought it to them thrice.
  • Options
    kiddogokiddogo Member Posts: 14
    Was forced to the right and the passenger mirror was hit. The casing is fine but the lens was shattered. Can I just buy the lens and pop it in or do I need to buy the entire assembly?

Thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    Wash the car after two weeks of ownership. The car is garage kept. This past week we did take the car out during the rain, so I knew the car would be somewhat dirty. This weekend I was about to wash the car and was very dissappointed.

There were huge blots of water spots all around the car. Not just on the body but also where ever there was the black plastic parts.

Are these huge water marks from our NJ water, the rain, or is this something to do with Honda paint?
  • Options
    self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    Here is the link for the instruction of replacing AC filter.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/pollenfilter.gif

The page might look il-legible when you view it on screen. But when you print it out, it is ok.

Good luck.

Alland
  • Options
    mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    If you look at the website: www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
    and look under Odyssey it shows just the mirror lens, so you should be able to just replace that. I think the price was right around $15. I would call a honda dealer and they could probably tell you what you will need. I have never replaced a mirror but I don't think it could be too hard. Good luck.
  • Options
    med28med28 Member Posts: 17
    I too washed our sage brush after two weeks and my wife and I noticed the same thing. Many water spots present. Ours is garage kept. Maybe we share the same water in western NY!
  • Options
    1candyman21candyman2 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Walter and Alland for the info on the AC filter location. I will change it this weekend.
  • Options
    Welcome to the world of acid rain. The waterspots are actually beginning to etch their way into the clear coat paint of your new van. Recommend a good waxing.
  • Options
    dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    On dark colors if you leave your car parcked in the sun after it rains, the water spots will burn them selves into the paint. Remember when you where a kid and you started something to burn using a magnifying glass.Water spots and sun make a bad combination in sunny areas. Also acid rain doesn't help much either.
  • Options
    Hopefully this weekend I will wax the ody. Is it ok to wax the ody when only 1 month old?

The ody is garage kept pretty much Monday to Friday. It is basically our weekend car, and if we go out during the week. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this?
  • Options
    mmeislermmeisler Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 LX. It has been in for repair 5 times for the same brake issue. When the car is slowing down, the brakes make a repetitive sqeaking noise almost as if it is as the wheel is turning. Has anyone else come up with this? I have filed a claim under the Maryland Lemon Law but they keep insisting on chances to fix the car. The last 2 times it was fixed for awhile but then it started again. Thanks!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    New car paint is "cured" at the factory so there shouldn't be any reason not to go ahead and wax it. That's what I've read around Town Hall anyway.

For the first waxing, you may want to clay it too, and get rid of any "rail dust" or other impurities sticking to the paint from transportation.

Check the Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) board for some suggestions from the "pros."

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I actually did some soul searching on there and also for this drug called Zaino. I talked myself into it, and ordered my first set, how it turns out I will let you know. Gosh for this much money I better see this car shine.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you found Zaino, there's no hope for you I'm afraid.

Remember to come up for air sometime as you wade through Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    vrt_stingervrt_stinger Member Posts: 1
    Is it just me or do any of you notice that the Odyssey seem3 make a lot of road noise. I don't know but I had purchased a new car which is very quiet but when I got into my wife's van I really noticed it. Especially when it rained last night. I could definetly hear the tire humming on the wet surfaces mostly from the rear tires. Is it just me or is the normal? I was wondering if there was something wrong. BTW it's a 2003 EX Leather.
  • Options
    Michelins on EX do tend to sing in wet weather, especially on concrete surfaces. Accoustics in minivans is different from cars. Sounds tend to resonate in big space. Don't be alarmed if you also hear a sloshing sound from the rear. Gas tank makes noise as fuel gets low - tank had to be designed rather shallow to allow for rear magic seat. After a while you get used to different sounds and don't notice them anymore
  • Options
    ruiaruia Member Posts: 5
    Got a 2003 oddy ex and I only use the puppy on weekends. Fri, Sat and Sun to go shopping. Van is garaged. Every Friday or Saturday after a week of sitting there, when I start the van, I hear a loud shriek or the way my wife explains it, a cry from the engine for about 2 seconds. This sound does not happen any more during the rest of the weekend. until the following Weekend.
    I thought it was a belt, but why only when the car sits there and the rest of the weekend it is ok.

Any ideas, I went to the service center and he told me it was condensation. I had a 2000 Accord and through 3 years never heard that with that car.

Any suggestions will be helpful.......

Roy
  • Options
    Make sure that the climate control is off. Both front and rear. Sometimes A/C lines make noise when trying to start van. Mine makes a bang sometimes if we forget.
  • Options
    seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    parts(camber bolts) came in and where installed. Alignment feels neutral now.
  • Options
    ruiaruia Member Posts: 5
    I never shut off the climate control.
    I will try this next weekend.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    chonghwanchonghwan Member Posts: 2
    '01 Honda Oddey owner
    I have 37,500 miles on mine and got a "Check Engine" light came up week and half ago.
    I stopped by the local Honda dealer and they told me to check to make sure the fuel cap is not loose. I checked it and was fine.
    I waited for a few days to get it fix by itself or get adjusted on its own but never did.
    I made an appointment with a dealer and they diagnosed it and found out that they had to -------replace a few valves on the left hand side of the fuel tank-----. The warranty was good until 37,000 and mine was 500 mile over but the service rep. was kind enough to get cover it under the warranty. Ohterwise, it would cost me around $700 they say.
    I am okay now but don't you think its too much to have this kind of problem only after driving 37,500 miles.
    I might have to buy an extended warranty.
  • Options
    bearstitchbearstitch Member Posts: 1
    '00 Honda Odyssey owner.
    We have 38000 miles on our van and this is the second time the "Check Engine" light came on. The first time, they said check the gas cap. Then, when the dealer finally looked at it, they said all the faults were triggered so they had to reset the computer. Now, it is on again after another 1000 miles. Both times it came on when cancelling the cruise control, once by pressing the brake, the other by pressing cancel. The TCS light came on at the same time. But, when you restart the van, the TCS goes out.
  • Options
    doncasdoncas Member Posts: 11
    I recently performed the 7,500 mile service on our 2003 Odyssey LX purchased in October 2002. Part of the 7,500 mile service is to inspect the suspension and steering. Upon inspecting the suspension I noticed that the passenger front strut and suspension components had excessive grease and dirt collected on them. I suspected that the strut seal had broken and that it was leaking. I made a service appointment and the dealer confirmed that the strut was leaking. They have to order one so we have to wait a week to have the vehicle repaired. We could not tell the strut was failing in our normal driving (it made no noise and the vehicle handled fine). Make sure you inspect the suspension components when you are supposed to.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Remember that a number of problems that will trip the CEL should be covered by the Federally mandated Emissions Warranty (thru 80k miles ???).
    Don't take the first 'no' from the dealership as the final word.

Steve
  • Options
    srb123srb123 Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

I just wanted to share my horrible experience with my '03 Ody. The van pulls to the left and if I step on brakes at a traffic light the steering wheel turns about 20 degrees counter-clockwise (towards left). I took it to the dealer in Bridgewater, NJ when I had about 4K miles on my van. They didn't want to check the van because of the weather problems in NJ right then, but finally got around to doing the alignment around 6K miles. The van still kept pulling left even afterwards and they told me that it could be a tire problem. The Michelin authorized dealer looked at the tires and told me that the tires were fine and it could be a combination of mechanical and brake problems.

When I took it back to the Honda service dealer in Bridgewater he told me that the tire dealers always lie, since they don't want to pay under warranty (he didn't give me this in writing of course) and he said he still thinks it is the problem with the tires. Meanwhile, my van horribly keeps pulling left(I now have over 8K miles). I opened a case with the main Honda customer service number and they assigned me a case number, but haven't heard from ythe regional case manager yet. I have made atleast 5 trips to the dealer so far for this problem and now I am thinking about lemon law(bought in NY state), but I am not sure about my chances.

Any recommendations will be greatly apreciated.

-s
  • Options
    Hi Guerin,
       I just saw your posting about the alignment problem. I have the same problems, but no solution yet. I would like to get some additional information about your service dealer info to pass it to the Bridgewater Honda guy(they have no clue about the problem and keeps blaming on everything else except mechanical problems). Can you please send me an email to sam_g_roy@yahoo.com if you don't mind? Thanks in advance.
    Sam
  • Options
    Hi all,
       One fine day I couldn't open the left sliding door on my '03 Ody and figured that the culprit was fuel door when I looked outside the van (we don't pump our own gas in NJ and the gas guy didn't bother to tell me). When I took it to the dealer they fixed the problem after about three trips (first for just looking, second for opening the rear of the van and the third after they received the specially ordered part from somewhere in OH). Meanwhile, I had to live with just my right door for more than two weeks. Just thought of sharing.
  • Options
    MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    I have the same problem, i.e., the pulling to the left. My tires were replaced under warranty to address the problem, but didn't fix the pulling. There have been other posts regarding a fix by replacing the camber bolts. You might want to discuss this with your Honda dealer. I am just waiting for an opportunity to bring mine back in to have mine fixed. BTW, I own an 03 EXL-RES
  • Options
    pyhsiehpyhsieh Member Posts: 7
    HI,

The 3rd brake light bulb burned out. I tried to replace the light bulb and accidently damaged the cover (the little cover that "hides" the screw). Does anyone one know where I can buy this part at a reasonable price? Thanks!

for 2000 Ody EX.
    pei.hsieh@verizon.net
This discussion has been closed.