Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Yes, mine does it too on cold starts much below about 35'F or so.

Steve
  • Options
    cmehlingcmehling Member Posts: 1
    I thought I was nuts. I have a 2003 Ody EXL-RES that pulls to the left as well. I have had it in for an alignment check and that was normal. It is getting really annoying so I plan to take the vehicle back in next week. Is there a service bulletin regarding this issue?
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Why do you want to bring in Odyssey into California? Today's LA Times Ad Long Beach Honda is selling Odyssey EX, EX-L EX-DVD all at $1,000 below the MSRP. I wish they were selling $1,000 below MSRP 2 years ago.
  • Options
    tastetaste Member Posts: 37
    Steve and Robr2.

bjk2001 I have a colleague who is relo'ing to California and told her I would check on this for her.
  • Options
    tastetaste Member Posts: 37
    I am encountering an unusual problem with my Ody thought I would run it by the members.

Twice now after sitting in our garage and not being driven for ~5-6 days the van is completely dead. The first time it happened I thought we may have left on one of the interior lights however the second time this was not the case. It is winter in Chicago but this should not be happening. I have other cars that I don't drive for the same period and they are fine.

I am taking it into Honda on Monday so they can do a diagnostic. The mechanic said they would check the power system to see if there any parasitic drains beyond the usual. I do the factory installed NAV system but not the after market DVD yet.

Anyone encounter this problem? It doesn't seem to be a bad alternator as the battery light is not staying on...

The Ody is only 2 months old so this is frustrating because it is the wife's transportation.

BTW I mentioned the doors and maybe an electronic problem there. He said he didn't think so as Honda addressed the part problems they were experiencing with the electronic doors in their 2003 models.

thanks
    taste
  • Options
    jpcjpc Member Posts: 10
    My 2002 Odyssey has this same issue in cold weather. Could someone explain why this is "Normal". My 1999 did not do this and the "Thud" can be quite harsh. I can't see how this could be good for the drive train.

Thanks
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Nobody said it was a good thing, just that they all seem to do it in cold weather. Also remember that the 1999 MY transmission is completely different from the 2002+ MY transmission, so the fact that it doesn't have the same "reverse thud" feature is not totally surprising. I have taken to cold starting mine in neutral and engaging drive before reverse to avoid the thud.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Member Posts: 10
    I've let it warm up in neutral for a couple minutes, and then gone to reverse to minimize the noise. I'll have to try the "drive first, then reverse" technique.

Thanks grandtotal..
  • Options
    rob123rob123 Member Posts: 21
    I had a 2000 LX without any thud in reverse
    in any weather.My 2003 has a thud anything
    below 32 deg.
    My 2000 LX Didn't pull either way but it always
    had a shimmy,michelins helped a little.
    My 2003EX pulls to the left,no shimmy.
    I really think the 2003EX is a much
    better car overall.
  • Options
    popperpopper Member Posts: 41
    I was driving my wife's '00 LX tonight and the Malfunction Indicator Lamp came on. The van just passed 78K miles and has been trouble free so far. So I looked it up in the owner's manual- emission control problem. Checked gas cap. Nope, not the problem. I come home and get on Edmunds to see if anyone might know what it could be and read about your recent problem. I'm hesitant about ever taking my vehicles to the dealer because of their ridiculous fees, but it sounds like it may be covered under warranty. I guess there's only one way to find out.
  • Options
    hondaowner3hondaowner3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had major emission problems? I have had my 2000 Odyssey in for repairs on the EGR system clogging on three different times. (Honda extended the warranty to 8 years, 80,000 miles.) Unfortunately for me - the 3rd time occurred after 80,000 miles. I have the extended warranty, but $370 of the $750 repair was not covered by Honda. I average EGR problems every 6 months on average, and the bill comes to $750. Honda Corporate told me last March 22nd - that they would extend my warranty on the emission problems for 1 year - but when I brought my Honda to the dealership that I bought the Honda from, Honda had lost the paper work, and the person I spoke to at Honda left the department - and they say they have no record of extending my warranty.

With the major problems that I have had with my 2000 Odyssey - I have cancelled my order for a new Honda Pilot that I planned on buying. My Odyssey has 110,000 miles on it. I have never missed an oil change, tune up, or any required maintenance that Honda recommends. ( I just spent over $1500 on the 105,000 mile maintenance - as Honda recommends.

Anyone else had the problems that I have had? Any recommendations?
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I recently tried to open a frozen power door on my 2001 EX and it stalled and set a code...dead door. None of the manual's troubleshooting worked. Then I remembered your advice from a month ago on how to reset the code and re-learn the door. Worked like a charm. You saved me a trip to the dealer. Just thought I'd say thanks 'cause techs like you on this forum are invaluable.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    Yep we are seeing alot of that lately.. Glad to be of some help to you..Dont know if I had said anything on how to open a frozen door or not so I will tell what I have found. If your door is frozen and you want to get it open, flip the door switch to off( this will keep from setting a code) and then pull the door handle as you normally would while with the other hand pulling out on the top of the door near the center. Usally the door freezes to the upper sub seal and by pulling out on it you can break loose the frozen seal and not the door handle.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    Did you get a resolve on your dash light problem? I noticed the other day a service bulletin talking about dash light problems on some 02 and 03 that is caused by electrical interferance(noise) from the cooling fan and causes the dash lights to flicker. The repair is to install an updated alternator...
  • Options
    bjc4bjc4 Member Posts: 6
    The light for our digital clock has gone out on the dashboard. Nothing else is out. What is the problem and can it be fixed?
  • Options
    wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    My power doors have been frozen on several sub-zero mornings this winter. I've had a can of windshield de-icer handy, and just sprayed the alchohol into the top door seam and down the leading edge of the door. I waited about 30 seconds for it to sink in, and tried door handle again and presto (or in this case Prestone!) it worked.
      Of course on re-reading this - it may not work for average Ody driver - I'm 6'5", so access to the top of the door really isn't issue for me.
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    You have to remove most of the dash to get at the clock light. It is a tiny little bulb. Too bad they couldn't have designed the access to it a little better than they did.

I've done it myself, but no longer have the shop manual that describes the procedure. It took about a half hour to do. I'm sure the dealer will charge a flat rate 1 hr. Maybe not. The bulb costs less than a $1 as I remember.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This problem comes up periodically. Here's a message that links to a message (or you can just do an Advanced Search on "clock" in this discussion and find lots of posts):

steve_ Dec 11, 2002 11:32pm

Steve, Host
  • Options
    azmommy2azmommy2 Member Posts: 9
    Hi! Just used new 2003 Oddy Ex-l for first time shopping yesterday. On highway, CD would skip when riding over small seams or bumps in road. I've never had a CD player before, so I don't know if this is normal. Any suggestions re: further testing or contacting dealer? Thank you for your insights!
  • Options
    mpoissonmpoisson Member Posts: 8
    The CD should not skip over small imperfections in the road. I would contact the dealer.
  • Options
    cabrales1cabrales1 Member Posts: 36
    My 2000 Odyssey has 57k, and I when I turn, either at slow or fast speeds, I hear a groaning noise coming from the front end. It is not a soft or low noise either, it is very noticeable. My wife first heard it about 2 months ago, and told me about it, but we did not hear it again until last week, when it did it once or twice. I figured it may have been the tires rubbing against ice built up on the wheel wells. But this weekend the noise got louder, and more noticeable, and it happens every time we turn. Well, the Odyssey is at the dealer's now, and they called me this morning to ask me if I have an extended warranty (wow). Anyway, has anyone experienced something like this? What exactly is the "drive train"? Could this be covered under the "drive train" warranty?.
  • Options
    pymmpymm Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2001 Ody with 29,000 miles. The brakes have been squeeking and I can feel some mis-alignment at a slow stop. Today I took the van in for its 30,000 mile service. The dealership says the rotors must be "honed" and the front pads replaced, at the tune of around $200 total. I have three questions:

1. Is this a reasonable charge?
    2. Why isn't this covered under warranty? They say it is "normal wear and tear for the Ody."
    3. I am not an aggressive driver. Is this indeed "normal."

Thanks....
  • Options
    You may want to look around some, maybe do a search on this forum, or go to one of the websites where you can look at recals and technical service bulletins (TBS). I am pretty sure that I have seen something regarding defective brakes on odysseys, and people getting their cars repaired under warranty. I am sorry I don't have any of the actual information or web links, but if you do a search you will probably find them.
  • Options
    Check out the thread that starts here:

scottr513 Oct 11, 2002 8:21pm

Honing (or "resurfacing", "turning") brake rotors is pretty typical anymore when pads are replaced. 29,000 is a bit early for wear, but not unheard of. MVs are hard on front brakes and tires anyway.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    $200 for turning the front rotors and replacing front pads seems steep. Since this is not a warranty item, I wouldn't hesitate to get them done at a good, non-Dealer shop, many of which specialize in brakes - and can do such a job for quite a bit less than a Dealer.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...I guess it depends on where you live. I paid $240 for front pads and turning rotors at an indpendent for my Accord. The dealer wanted $325.

Minivans are hard on brakes. Brake wear can be all over the place so all experiences are different.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Based on the rate at which mine are currently wearing, I'll be replacing them at around the same 30,000 mile mark on my 2001 EX. This van gets almost exclusive stop and go, in-city driving by my wife and nanny.

As for driving aggressively, I think that aggressive drivers may actually use up their brakes SLOWER seeing as we...er they...tend to use them less often than cautious drivers ;-)
  • Options
    Thanks, all, for the brakes feedback. Guess I'll just have to live with replacing them more often than I'd originally thought. And, after phil47's advice, I think I'm gonna get a bit more daring on the road ;)
  • Options
    Probably way more than you wanted to know in the Stop here! Let's talk about brakes discussion. But there is a good thread at the end of it about machining rotors.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i have the same problem but i read about that problem in this forum and others. some have stated that its due to the thin gas tank to accomodate the 3rd fold in hole
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I have asked shops to "block sand" rather than turning rotors (lathe) if there was no exceptional wear pattern or damage. You just need to break the glaze and randomly roughen up the surface to help insure that the new pads seat well.

Steve
  • Options
    dscow414dscow414 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Oddy LX 56k miles. The van has been sitting outside overnight the past couple of weeks and noticed that when below 15 degrees I hear a click-click-click from both front hubs/wheels when turning left. I had this checked before warranty expired and of course ntf.
    Now it is really starting to bug me. I have heard that this symptom is consistent with CV joint problems. After I drive 2-3 miles and make another turn I don't notice any problems. Called dealer to check and they said I need to make apt and since out of warranty they charge $79/hr to diagnose. Anyone else come across this ?

Thx
  • Options
    wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Seeing that it would be a manual process, what did they charge you to Block Sand the brakes? Just curious... Doing so SHOULD make the rotors last longer... Let us know...
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • Options
    Well, I took the Oddy to the dealer. They told me it needed the right cv joint/ball replaced. The total charge was $434. This really bugs me because 6 months ago it cost me $300+ to replace the driver's window when it stopped working. The van just turned 3 years yesterday, and it has 56k on it, but I am already losing faith on its long term reliability. DSCOW414, keep an eye on the clicking. Mine started back in December just as a ocassional clicking noise which I normally heard during snowy/cold weathe. By last week it became a constant groaning noise every time I turned the wheel. I'm seriously thinking about trading in for a Toyota, once the new Sienna comes out this fall. Alas, my first and possibly last Honda experience.
  • Options
    sguesgue Member Posts: 2
    2002 Odyssey was pulling LEFT when purchased. I have had 4 alignments, changed camber bolts, and 2 new front tires replaced. Only 6000+ miles on it now. Pulling to left improved somewhat each repair. THEN I requested that the new front tires be rotated (side to side).... NOW IT PULLS TO THE RIGHT on all roads, lanes, crowns, etc.!!!! Service dept. claims it is not the tires, and won't consider that it might be the rims.... Service tech is coming next week to test drive. It's been in the shop 15 days since December. Have others tried rotating tires to see what effect it might have? 3 of the 4 factory tires were out of spec. but only 2 were replaced. I've been told that it is the road/crown, weather, my imagination.... but no other car or van I've driven (including a 2003 Odyssey) pulls that way. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    Do you know if they tried to reposition the subframe? There was a TSB about this quite some time back.
  • Options
    lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    This seems to be where I can get the right answers from current owners. Right now we are considering the 03 Ody EX and the 04 Sienna XLE. What I want to know is what are the status on the sliding door problem that most of you are writing about. Has it been corrected by Honda? Is there anyone with a '03 that has experienced this problem? It seem to be a major fault of Honda with this sliding door.
    Next is in regards the sound of the brakes. Same question as above in regards the brakes.
    After all Consumer Reports claim the Ody to be very RELIABLE.
  • Options
    tton2tton2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought 2003 Odyssey LX this weekend. It currently has 200+ miles. Just tonite, when shift from Drive -> Neutral -> Reverse, a clank noise was heard from Neutral to Reverse.

I did a small test which shift from Park -> Reverse -> Neutral -> Reverse -> Neutral -> Reverse -> Park. The result is normal shifting, i.e., no noise. However, clank noise is repeatable if shift from Drive -> Neutral -> Reverse.

Anyone have this problem? Your insight is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    rob123rob123 Member Posts: 21
    My 2003 has the clank in reverse in any temp. below 32 deg.and the dealer said its normal for the 2003.My 2000 didn't have any clunk in reverse at any time.
  • Options
    tton2tton2 Member Posts: 2
    Brought to dealer today. The mechanic explained that the clank noise was normal for 2003 Odyssey and Accord. The noise is result of gear release and lock from drive to reverse. He has also mentioned that transmission in 2003 Odyssey and Accord have been redesign due to 2002's short coming ( defect bearing ).
  • Options
    sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    Unfortunately, some Odyssey owners still report electric door problems on the 2003's, especially with very slow movement in freezing weather. But I'd be surprised if Sienna didn't also have this problem, which seems somewhat inherent. I bought the LX Ody for this reason. Only the Chrysler vans have a manual override that isn't hernia producing.
    As for Ody having above average reliability by Consumer Reports, I hope you're right. Last time I checked it was only average, same as Chrysler. Sienna was only van above average, but its other features (size, styling, third row "magic" seat, etc.)made Ody (in my opinion) a better value, especially if you negotiate a discount. Good luck.
  • Options
    ncbradncbrad Member Posts: 2
    Great board here...too bad we're having problems. Just a heads up on the sliding doors. At about 82K, our doors (both) started sticking on the way closed occasionally. Had to reopen and try again. Dealer diagnosed worn rollers that needed replacement. Good thing I bought the HondaCare, right?? Wrong. Honda Care claims this is a part that wears out under normal use (they use the brakes and tires analogy). Got no where complaining to Customer Service or Honda Care. The only reason I got the warranty was because of these doors, now I find I shouldn't have bothered. Customer Service was actually quite rude about this, talking over me when I was trying to explain my stance that it should be covered. Worst part is that the repairs will exceed $500 per side... This is not the Honda response I expected. And I just bought a '03 Accord, just about jumped out of my chair with the finance guy. He didn't get the Honda Care sale :)
  • Options
    sguesgue Member Posts: 2
    Update to #2735. My 2002 Odyssey was worked on by one of the Engineers from Honda. He told me that most alignments (I had 4) were front end only - they had never done a complete alignment. So after replacing 4 ADJUSTABLE Camber bolts (they only did 2 previously) and the complete alignment - he found the REAR toe to be significantly out of spec as well as the thrust - the Odyssey no longer pulls to the left or right!!! So if you continue to have these same problems INSIST on a REAR END alignment and the 4 ADJUSTABLE CAMBER BOLTS. Good luck!
  • Options
    My Ody has just under 30,000 miles (LX). I had my brake pads replaced and the rotors sanded just a couple of weeks ago and wrote to this board earlier for advice. I'm hoping folks can help me out again.

In spite of the comprehensive work done on the brakes, I still hear a squeeking at slow stops. It's really kinda weird--the squeeking doesn't happen in the first half hour or so of driving. It seems to start happening only after some time of driving and ONLY when I come to a SLOW stop. On the other hand, if I have to apply the brakes more suddenly, some might say more normally, the braking doesn't feel normal and certainly doesn't feel like it did when I first bought the van. The best I can describe this braking is a kind of "catching," or "unevenness." The van rattles a bit at a certain point in the braking--a sorta shutter.

Am I making any sense at all? Before I take the van back in, does anyone have any advice how I might better explain this to the dealer? Or what the problem might be? I am confident, of course, that the van will perform beautifully, with none of these problems when I take it in. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I recently had complete rear drums replaced on my 00 EX due to excessive noise. I would get a squeaking sound on slow stops. It slowly became a grinding sound on slow stops - it too felt like it was catching.

I don't know if there was a TSB. All I know is that the service manager called me without even looking at the car and offered to do it under warranty.
  • Options
    Which year is your van? Do you have 4 wheel disks or front disk/rear drum? Did they just sand your rotors or did the actual turn the rotors on a lathe. Usually pulsing or "catching" indicates that the runout or overall flatness/smoothness of the brake disk is not perfect. By your description it sounds like the catching appears once the brakes have been used for a while and have gotten hot - is this from stop and go city driving? Sounds like brake work has been done before - could it be that they've milled the rotors down to the minimum thickness and they've started to warp on hard use. In my experience, it's kind of subtle, but with front brakes you can feel pulsation through wheel, with rears it's more diffuse total vehicle sort of pulsing feeling. I had a similar problem with a Ford Taurus w/ 4-wheel disks. Turned out parking brake wasn't completely releasing creating a minuscule drag from the rear disks - not really noticeable, but after moderate period brakes would warm up and I'd notice pulsation with regular braking. Drove it like this for a while, noise on light braking stated getting more prevalent so I had it checked out and ended up getting new rear rotors.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. The van is a 2001 Ody LX. It has just short of 30,000 miles. I am pretty sure I have front disk/rear drum. They just sanded the rotors and it was the only time my brakes have been worked on. They told me, when I complained about the braking problems, that the front pads had worn down to 10%. They said nothing about the rear brakes, so I really don't know if they checked them or not at the time. MOST of the driving I do is stop and go city driving. If this gives anyone other suggestions for me before I take the van back, I would appreciate it. I am going to print out your suggestions and take them with me when I go in. Thanks again.
  • Options
    khcc1khcc1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 Odyssey EXL with 3500 miles and am experiencing intermittent starting problems. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong and said that Honda doesn't have anything out on it. I see that there are a few posts regarding the same issue, but I do not see where anyone found a solution. If anyone out there has experienced this same problem or if anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know. (By the way, we do not have another key with a immobilier chip on the same keyring) Thanks.
  • Options
    jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    Haven't been to this board for some time. Interesting to note many of the problems are the the same as two years ago!
    Anyway. My situation is that now three out of four of the switches that turn on the inside lights when you open the doors are faulty. The front passenger and both rear doors. When you open those doors the lights don't come on. If you give the switches a light push the lights do work. Seem to be sticking. Anyone else experience this? If so what is the remedy?

Tires. Will need to think about replacing them soon (31k miles). What are people getting?

Thanks,
    Jim d.
  • Options
    Sounds like there's dirt in the door switches. Try a little WD-40. Give 'em a spritz and push the switch a few times. May have to repeat the process to get them clean. WD-40 is a better cleaner than it is a lubricant - after you flush out the crud, you may want to try some spray silicone to actually lubricate them. Wouldn't recommend oil or grease as it tends to attract more dirt.
       As far as tires - Michelin X-1's are more responsive and quieter than the original Michelin Symmetry tires - they're a bit pricey >$100, think COstco/Sams sell s a similar tire but don't remember name. Bridgestone Turanza (sp?) also well regarded tire. Both tires are much better than stock Firstone Affinitys that come on LX model
This discussion has been closed.