Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I can see the argument for both sides, but there is another component to a published "poor" rating on the Elantra - public perception of the car's value, and further diminished resale down the road. I don't buy cars based totally on their resale value, but you can't ignore this factor either. Many folks are going to look at Hyundai with the same jaundiced eye they now reserve for Firestone tires, and resale will suffer accordingly.

On top of the IIHS rating, there is still the little voice asking me why Hyundai feels compelled to offer such a long warranty. A ten year warranty is little comfort if the car has to go in for repairs every other month - I'd rather have a car with no warranty that never breaks :) The point is, if you value your time, and are allergic to the stale coffee in dealership waiting rooms, you'll go for the car that tends not to need many repairs - and historically, that isn't Hyundai. I hope everyone enjoys their GTs... it is a neat car, but I'm not quite ready to vote with my checkbook at this time.
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    This is a potential show stopper for Hyundai. Just look at the negative posts on Edmunds since the word got out on IIHS offset test. More than one person has put off buying an Elantra because of the test. Myself included.

I'm writing Hyundai to ask what measures if any are going to be taken to fix these problems.

I disagree with crayneri that these tests necessarily mean that Hyundai has been cutting corners. The Sante Fe received high marks in its tests. Also, keep in mind that Hyundai has been challenging these tests saying that their internal test came up with different results.

Still the IIHS results are disconcerting. The latch coming loose and the injury to the dummy's leg concern me just as much as the late deploying airbag. I imagine the airbag can be fixed with a recall, but what about the leg injury?

If Dateline NBC shows the results, Hyundai's rising star will take a hit.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    was caused by the driver's seat sliding forward on its track. This is a relatively minor problem to correct (along with the late-deploying air bag). I would be much more concerned if the IIHS tests had uncovered a problem with the car's structural integrity. I agree with bri70 that all '01 Elantra owners should contact Hyundai to urge them to fix the seat track and airbag on new units and issue recalls for cars on the road. As has been noted, a lot is at stake here... the saftety of Hyundai customers, and future Hyundai sales.
  • Options
    craynericrayneri Member Posts: 15
    Several points

The Santa Fe costs about the same as the CRV

The Sonata is a totally different car than the Elantra

The Elantra received horrible scores in the tests compared to the Civic.

We are talking about the new Elantra, not the 96-2000 Elantra.

Face the facts, Hyundai is going to have to make some changes. I am not making fun of your religion, we are discussing cars. I convinced my in-law to buy a 99 elantra, the car is fine, but he hasn't crashed in it.

My question to you is......Would you prefer to crash in a 2001 Elantra, or a 2001 Civic (which received all excellent)

I know the answer.
  • Options
    pearlbluesoulpearlbluesoul Member Posts: 30
    lngtonge18, please don't mistake me for someone who is a Hyundai-hater. In general, I have alot of respect for the company who are trying to offer an excellent product at unbelievably reasonable prices. Especially with the GT: I really wanted to like this car, but it was starting to seem too good to be true.

I think that silver_bullet is right: the safety issue aggravates the other major concern I had with the GT, which was the high rate of depreciation. Buyers, who have safety as their number one criterion will rule out the GT. The demand for this car decreases, therefore its resale value will drop.

I see your point re: the structural integrity of the GT. But until airbag sensors and seat latches are fixed, how can we consider a car that is unsafe?

Are you saying that you could overlook the safety issues to save a couple thousand bucks?
  • Options
    craynericrayneri Member Posts: 15
    According to the press release....

The institute retested both the Grand Caravan and the Elantra when the manufacturers objected to the first results. In both cases the vehicles performed worse in subsequent tests.
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    ...and other issues that are in violation of our Town Hall Agreement

Gee, it's getting kind of hot in here! Now that we've all had a chance to share our views on the subject of the recent IIHS scores, let's please cool down a little on this subject... and try to respect each other's points of view.

Please note: it's okay to bash the vehicles in these discussions, but it's not okay to make personal, or heated, remarks towards other participants for their differences of opinion. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I know what you were talking about. My concern is with your statement about Hyundai's cheapness and that that is why it fails in safety. My comparison with the old Elantra and the old Civic is valid because it proves that wrong. The Elantra was way cheaper than the Civic and yet matched its offset impact rating and beat its head on collision. So how do you explain that fact? As for the Sonata, I now its a different car, but it's still a Hyundai. The fact that it pretty much matches the much more expensive Maxima and Millenia in crash tests proves that cheaper Hyundais still perform just as good. I mean Hyundai is the value leader is it not and yet it still does well in every other crash test. Making a generalization about Hyundai safety because of a bad airbag sensor in one of their models in one test is unfair. Give Hyundai the chance to fix it at least.
    I'm sorry but the rest of the good ratings given to the Elantra leads me to believe its a safe car for the most part and its stylish looks, better performance, and less bland character are enough for me to rather buy the Elantra. I mean the Grand Am is rated poor too, but does it hurt its sales? NO! People don't buy on safety alone. I will admit I would be leery of buying it until Hyundai designs a fix for the airbags, but if I got a great deal I wouldn't worry about it. To be honest, whats the likelihood you will have an offset impact with a car of the same weight? Very little. You are more likely to hit a huge SUV, and in that crash I wouldn't want to be in either car. But will that keep me from buying a small car? NO! We have been driving around cars that are far less safe than this Elantra for a long time so I don't see the big deal. Overall, I won't argue with 4 and 5 stars in both the frontal and side-impact, plus a good structural performance. I refuse to condemn a car completely and call it unsafe just because of an airbag fault, which can happen on any car. In fact, there was a post in the Malibu forum of someone who hit a pole dead center at around 40 mph and hit the windshield twice because the airbags didn't go off, but the Malibu is rated acceptable. There are many instances of airbag failures on all sorts of cars, including the Civic. All I'm trying to do is get people to think about it more objectively and look at all the facts before having a fit. I do however agree Elantra owners need to get on the roll and get Hyundai to fix the airbag sensor.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I heard last night on the 11pm news that Hyundai is recalling the Elantra for airbags that don't deploy in time. Maybe that will make the safety score higher, when the problem is fixed. Hopefully they will do a re-test.
  • Options
    Check it out at:

http://www.progressive.com/resource_center/crash_videos.htm

You can clearly see the consequences of that late-deploying airbag! At the same time, the strucure seems to hold up pretty well, as some of the previous posters were stating.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    It probably makes sound sense not to look at things in isolation, but every one of us GT owners would be happier if the results came out better.

A GT driver has side air bags....many Civics do not since they are an option. A GT driver with the option package #2 has ABS and traction control. Only the Civic EX has ABS and traction control is not an option. All GTs have 4 wheel disc brakes. What's the point? There are a host of factors that go into safety, and the crash tests are but one. Perhaps other things like brakes that are more resistant to water affecting stopping distances, ABS, and traction control play a part in avoiding a collision. Honda may indeed build great crash test result cars, but I'd rather they also paid attention to avoiding crashes in the first place, by making state of the art safety features standard and not optional.

VW is doing the right thing making ABS, 4 wheel discs, and 8 airbags standard in every model, even the base GL. VW also has a 10 year engine/powertrain warranty by the way, and the last time I looked, they were not a Korean company.
  • Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    Well, I finally purchased a 2001 GT, after the salesperson finally called me back and was willing to offer me another $700 for my trade-in car.

I think this car is safe enough. Hyundai has already issued a recall for the models with the late-deploying airbags. (don't know if it affects my specific vehicle yet).

The GT rides very well and get lots of looks.

I'm glad I made the purchase!!
  • Options
    Good for you. No regrets on my end. The GT feels solid, rides quiet, and has the bells and whistles of cars costing thousands more. Suggest you check your tire pressure right away to make sure the dealer stepped it down from the over inflated transit amount. Also, depress the rear seat back buttons slowly and just a little to release the latch. If you press to hard and too far down, the button won't return. I have to get one of mine fixed...hope they have a little retrofit to prevent this from happening again. The crash test result that is most important to me is the structural integrity and it did great there. The rest can be attended to. Good luck!
  • Options
    mattwamattwa Member Posts: 16
    Well, I definitely feel a bit humbled by the news. It was just a few days ago that I thought the GT was up there with a 525i. . . .

Still, in evaluating the safety of a car, there are many factors to consider, including the NHTSA results, braking distances, structural integrity, and side airbags. In all these areas, the Elantra has done exceptionally well. (See what Edmunds said about braking in the non-ABS Elantra). It seems to me that if the airbag and latch problems are fixed, then the GT would be at the top of the class for safety, as it is for almost everything else.

-------

Edmunds review of 2001 GLS - "the brakes work so well that even without the ABS/four-wheel disc brake option, our test car came to a halt from 60 mph in a short and drama-free 133 feet. The Elantra's stopping ability was so good, it prompted our road test coordinator to state: "Brake performance is outstanding ... pedal modulation was excellent and allowed us to get the braking distance down to the level of ABS-equipped vehicles."
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminders. I almost forgot about that rear seat release button problem. I'll make sure I push it without heavy force and pull the seatback hard.

Just for a refresher, what are the key driving behaviors that are recommended during the "break-in" period? So, far, I have been trying to vary the speed every few minutes while on the highway. Also, I have tried to keep the engine rpms at 3,000 or less. I have also been easy on the brakes, making sure I have plenty of stopping room before applying them.

Anything else critical? And when is a good mileage level to stop babying the car so I can give it heck?!

Thanks!
  • Options
    jc77jc77 Member Posts: 14
    I'm in the market for a new car. i can afford to buy an accord lx, but noticed the different styling, std features and of course price of the GT. the accord is a safe bet but is very bland and everyone has one. what is your suggestion between the two?
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    But that excerpt was for the Elantra sedan. I would think that it would make sense to assume that those words can be applied to the GT as well, but you never know...

I just find it odd that the Santa Fe topped both the RAV4 and the Escape in crash tests, but the Elantra didn't do so well in comparison to the Civic or the Corolla. Different engineering teams?
  • Options
    moses5moses5 Member Posts: 61
    It all depends on how you look at the Elantra test. The structure got a good rating which is just as good as civic. The items listed by the institute are fixable, unlike a poor structure.

The Mercedes E-Class didn't perform as well as a Camry structure, but know one is screaming horrible product. I believe many people are just making unjust comments based off of their already suspect thoughts of Hyundai's quality.

Everyone should look at the Honda Accords test, it didn't do as well as well as the civic. It is all relative.
  • Options
    I went through the same thought process. The idea of a hatchback appealed to me. Also, the level of equipment in the GT and the warranty. The Accord is a no brainer as far as cars go, but I wanted to do something different. I love the GT! Good luck!
  • Options
    Did the same, for the first 2,000 miles...probably excessive but I want this to last. You can go 80 and still be right at or under 3,000 rpms. The car really likes to run at higher speeds. So far so good. Oil still right near full and highway mpg with light foot in the 33-37 range. Once upon a time, I remember recommendations to occasionally floor it around 40-50 mph to make things seat better, but no mention of that in the manual. I intend to do the first oil change around the 3,750 mark. Not sure if there is special break in oil. Good luck. I think you will really like this car.
  • Options
    cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Congratulations on your purchase. The owners manual specifies no formal break-in period; however, for the first 1200 miles it recommends driving at 55 mph or under, keeping engine RPMs between 2000 and 4000 and avoiding hard stops. There may be a few other things on the list but I've forgotten them. They are on the first page of the owners manual. I ran through my break-in period 10 days ago and the car just keeps getting more fun.

Bonus: my city fuel mileage has increased slightly in the first 2000 miles. When I bought the car a month ago, my first few tankfuls resulted in an average of 24.3 mpg. Now, at 2100 miles, my last two tankfuls averaged 25.5 mpg doing exactly the same driving. Cool.

Best wishes for a great ownersip experience!
  • Options
    I'm in the market for a new car. i can afford to buy an accord lx, but noticed the different styling, std features and of course price of the GT. the accord is a safe bet but is very bland and everyone has one. what is your suggestion between the two?
  • Options
    In you rlast post did you mean that Hyundai has recalled the Elantras for the late-deploying FRONT airbags? If so, such a quick fix is both good and bad news.

Good because Hyundai wants to assuage the fears of owners. Bad because it implies the company already knew the sensors or inflators could be faulty.

I seem to recall and early recall for SIDE airbag inflators affecting a number of the early GLS models. Is that what you were referring to?

Again, welcome to "Club GT".
  • Options
    The current Accord is probably in its last year of production. I would assume a new model this fall. It has been around four 5 model years. If you get an accord make sure you get the 2.3 liter with the 155hp engine. I believe the DX and possibly LX have the 135hp engines. You should check.

As for blandness, well both toyota and honda take the prize for that. I personally couldn't live with any of Honda's current designs.
  • Options
    It is funny how everyone talks about the safety of the Elantra. Well, just a few years ago, the current Elantra would have beat the socks off of many cars that were considered top quality.
  • Options
    mattwamattwa Member Posts: 16
    I've owned two Accords -- an 82 lx hatch and an 89 coupe. I liked them both. I put about 90,000 miles on the hatch back. (Also owned a Mazda 626). But I went for the GT this time. The Accord just seems a little bland and the GT is a lot of fun and tremendous value. I also got annoyed with the sliding door problems on the Odyssey. That took the luster off of Honda's reputation. I think a 5-door hatch is incredibly useful, particularly for families. If Honda made a 5-door, I might have been interested.
  • Options
    Corrections, the E-Class did do as well as the Camry...
  • Options
    Is there anything official from Hyundai yet? I guess Elantra owners here will be contacted directly.

The airbag sensor sounds like it might have only been badly configured. If the design is actually defective, maybe Hyundai could replace them with sensors from the Santa Fe. And then build stronger seat latches and we would be back in business!

I'm not sure how this works, but if the two problems turn out to be quick fixes, does that mean that Hyundai can ask the IIHS to repeat its test? Would all of this be possible before the '02's come out this fall?
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Mattwa: Don't get me started on the Honda Odyssey! LOL. My sister has finally ended her year long fight with Honda over her 00 EX. Honda finally agreed to voluntarily replace her van with a new 01 because of all the ridiculous problems she has had with it, including the power doors. My family used to be Honda lovers. My mom had 2 Accords from 86-01. She recently switched to Audi and is loving every minute of it, as did my brother who replaced his Integra. My sister loved the space and design of the Honda van but it was nothing but trouble. In 19K miles, she had her entire steering rack replaced, both front struts replaced, the AC compressor replaced, all front suspension bushings replaced twice, one power door motor replaced, both power door latches replaced, sensors involved with the doors replaced, the battery died, and the terrible popping noise felt and heard from the steering was still present (this is what Honda was clueless about and basically agreed something was not right). Her van spent around a month out of the year and a half she owned it at the dealer! Hopefully, this one will work properly. Needless to say, her problems has forever tarnished Honda's image to us.

Pearlbluesoul: I would imagine Hyundai is currently recalibrating the sensors for the 02 models and will probably do a recall for the 01s to upgrade the sensors. Once they feel the problem is fixed, I'm sure they will request the IIHS to retest the Elantra and I'm sure they will be happy to do so. As a side note, do you recall that the 95-96 Nissan Maxima also had a problem with the driver's seat latch breaking, which allowed the right side of the seat to move forward 3 inches, thereby jamming the legs into the dashboard and causing a poor rating for the legs? Nissan was not aware of this design flaw and quickly redesigned the tracks and put them on the 97 models. This fixed the problem with the seat, though footwell intrusion continued to be a problem for leg injuries.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Adding on to post 575: the Accord is in its fourth year of the current generation (debuted in 1998). The Accord's history has been to bring out a new generation every four years, so if Honda stays on that schedule there should be a new model this fall. BUT there is an increasing trend for the Japanese car makers, notably Honda and Toyota, to stretch their traditional four-year cycle to five years. Toyota has done that recently with the Camry and Corolla, and Honda did it with the latest Civic. So there may not be a new Accord this fall. Also, only the DX has the 135 hp engine now; the LX has had the more powerful motor since, I think, the '98 model.

The Accord vs. GT is not an apples-apples comparison. It's a mid-size family car vs. a compact hatchback with a sportier feel. The Accord is more boring (IMO) but offers rock-solid reliability and resale value, and more interior room, vs. a more fun-to-drive car with more features at a lower price (and questionable long-term reliability and resale value). For the sure thing, take the Accord. For more "drama", get the GT.
  • Options
    Thanks again, mpgman.

cjaccetta:

My recall reference was due to a previous message by another poster who said he knew someone who had contacted Hyundai and was told that there was a voluntary recall on the late-deploying front airbags. I actually don't know if this is truly a legitimate recall and whether it affects all or simply some Elantras.

If someone finds more recall info (if this is indeed true) please let us know.

I guess I'll have to "skip" the one break-in period recommendation of driving 55mph and under. Most of my driving is on the Interstate, with a posted speed limit of 70mph (gotta love the Tennessee highway speed limits!) and I tend to drive closer to 80mph. The rest of the recommendations I think I can comply!
  • Options
    The all new Accord will be out in 2003, not 2002. The Camry will be all new in 2002. Backy is right. Accord vs GT is not a like to like comparison. Accord is over a foot longer and is a mid-size sedan. Sonata is a better comparison to the Accord, as well as the XG300 as far as price goes when compared to the Accord EX. If you are afraid of making a mistake, get the Honda. It will be a lot easier to trade it and not get killed on resale if you want to get something else. If you want to take a shot on something different, get the GT. I looked at Civic, Accord, Echo, Corolla, Protege, Protege-5, Elantra GLS, Golf, Jetta, and Focus. Then I saw and drove the GT and knew right away it was what I wanted. Everything should be so easy. Good Luck.
  • Options
    I just got off the telephone with Hyundai Motor America. When I asked about possible recalls resulting from the IIHS crash test results, HMA's representative informed me that there was no recall either underway or planned for the 2001 Elantra front airbags. The representative did say that if a recall (or "safety campaign") was necessary that all owners would be notified.

That's all I know for now. My wife and I are taking our 2001 GT on a road trip to Canada next month (so if there was indeed a recall I was hoping I'd find out before we leave). Here's a tip: if you ever need to call HMA's toll-free number have your VIN handy.

compensate: I, too, had a lot of trouble keeping my GT under 55. If you do less than 70 on Jersey roads you are in trouble! My car seems to have come through just fine.

After one month I have still not seen another GT on the roads. I'm getting used to the exclusivity. This is one of the reasons why I didn't buy a Civrolla!
  • Options
    I, too, have not seen another GT on the roads here in the Nashville area, and I have an 80-mile round trip daily commute to work. I also love this exclusivity!

And, man, I love that new call smell!
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    As previous posts have indicated, the basic integrity of the Elantra is not an issue. A late deploying airbag and seat track problems are. The last two cars I owned were recalled because the air bags went off for no apparent reason. As far as I know these recalls did not result in a lot of bashing of those brands in a way that I've been reading here (altho. to be honest, I wasn't reading the Edmunds Town Hall at the time). My suspicion is that it should be realitively easy to set things straight with a recall. The GLS forum talked about not reacting like many of the American car companies, where bean counters measure potential lawsuits against recall costs. Hyundai is too unproven to attempt that ploy. If they react honestly and above board and fix the problem and get a good rating on the next test it will go a long way to redeeming the car.

BTW-- I was waiting for a five speed GT when my Chevy Nova bit the big one. I was forced to buy a GLS which I have driven for about 200 miles. The check engine light came on at 50 miles, but the service rep. said it was no big thing unless it flashed. Will have it looked at tomorrow when I have the car re-detailed.

If the first fifty miles are indication this is one hell of a wonderful deal. Much more appealing than the Corolla I test drove. Had I known about the crash test problem I would have used it in trying to negotiate a better deal (I paid $11.2 for a package 2 car), but I still would have made the purchase. If some of you are walking away from a purchase because of this, I think you're making a mistake. Using the old adage of "you get what you pay for" doesn't hold a bit of water IMHO.
  • Options
    elantragtguyelantragtguy Member Posts: 10
    First off,
    This forum is mainly for Elantra GT, not the Elantra GLS. Yes, these cars are of the same platforms, but it hasn't been proven as of yet if the GT has the same safety "problems" as the GLS.

The GT technically is a 2001.5 model, and perhaps these issues have been addressed and taken care of already. Until we get final word on that, I would suggest to those that have stated "crossing" the GT off your list not to do so. And even if the GT has the same problems, would you like to go look at some more expensive, "better" cars that have worse crash ratings? Again, as everyone has stated, if you go back and look at the problems that occured: the dummy head hit it's head on the steering wheel and the seat latch failed to hold. Specifically because of these factors, the vehicle received a "Poor" rating. These problems can be fixed, and if they were, would you still "scratch" the car off your list, or do you just come to this forum to bash the car?

For what you pay for this car and the features you get far outway anything out there right now for the money. Granted there are some flaws, but I don't know of a car that doesn't have one.

Safety is important to me, yes, and I'm sure that Hyundai will accomodate everyone when they review the results and make a final decision on what needs to be done to save face and keep customers happy.

cjaccetta - Although you called them and asked about the recall, I'm sure at this time there isn't any plans officially to do a recall yet. The test just came out two days ago, and it takes some time to implement recalls. If this is for every Elantra, it will take a while. Look how long Firestone and Ford have taken to fix a tire problem; the replacement program for them is still going on.

Please don't come in here and bash the car and the rating without reading the whole description and deciphering what exactly it means. And number two, again, we are not 100% sure this even affects the GT.

Sorry for the long rant.
  • Options
    i test drove some accords yesterday and was not all that impressed plus the sales rep said it's a 2 week wait for them. i am going to test drive the GT next week and cannot wait to see what all the hype is about. thanks.
  • Options
    estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Have any readers in the Portland OR area bought a GT yet? Any recommendations on dealerships/salespeople? How close to invoice were you able to come? Thanks!

Erik
  • Options
    Enjoy your GT test drive! I believe you will be quite impressed, as I was!
  • Options
    dplatnycdplatnyc Member Posts: 17
    I just spoke with a dealer in Goshen, New York who said Hyundai has no plans for a recall based on either the side airbag problem or the front seat movement on impact. We might hope it takes fewer fatalities than it took Ford and Firestone to prompt corrective action. While we certainly do not have definite confirmation that the GTs have the same problem, it would be foolhardy for anyone not to consider the possibility of both the probability of harm and the harm which could result.
  • Options
    The GT rocks! It's structural integrity is on-par with the best in the industry. I've lived through a few very bad wrecks (I was never the driver in any of them), without airbags, and walked with little or no injury.

Again, as has been stated here a few times, we don't know if this actually affects the 2001.5 Elantra GT. Remember that the 2001 GLS came out MANY months before the GT, possibly after the tests were run

Also, the 2001 Elantra bumper bash test has improved to near best in class, after Hyundai made major bumper improvements in 1997 and again in 1999.

Here's an article from the IIHS:

"
    NEWS RELEASE
    March 10, 1999

TWO AUTOMAKERS IMPROVE CAR BUMPERS;
    ANOTHER NEW MODEL HAS WORSE BUMPERS

ARLINGTON, VA -- Hyundai improved the bumpers on the 1999 Elantra, compared with previous models of this car, and Mitsubishi improved the new Galant's bumpers. In contrast, the bumpers on the redesigned 1999 Mazda Protege are substantially inferior to those on the 1997 model.

"Designing effective bumpers is no great engineering challenge," says Insurance Institute for Highway Safety president Brian O'Neill, "but it needs to be a priority or else we'll see the kind of inferior design that's on the new Protege."

To assess bumper performance, the Institute conducts a series of 4 crash tests at 5 mph -- front and rear flat-barrier impacts plus two localized impacts, front-into-angle-barrier and rear-into-pole. The 1997 Protege's performance in these tests was marginal, but the redesigned 1999 model performed even worse. "The damage sustained by the new model in our low-speed tests more than doubled compared with the 1997 model," O'Neill says.

To a consumer, the bumpers on the 1997 and '99 Protege appear virtually identical. "But underneath there have been major changes," O'Neill adds. "The rear bumper on the 1997 model included an aluminum bar and foam energy-absorbing material. But on the 1999 model these have been replaced by a piece of plastic that broke in the rear-into-pole test, allowing extensive damage to the car's sheet metal."

In contrast to Mazda, Hyundai worked to improve the performance of the rear bumper system on the Elantra. Bumpers on the 1997 model of this car were rated worst among the small cars the Institute tested, but the 1999 Elantra is much improved. Its rear bumper allowed virtually no damage in either the rear-into-flat-barrier test or the very demanding rear-into-pole test, compared with total damage of almost $2,000 (1999 dollars) in the same tests of the 1997 model. The difference is that Hyundai strengthened the reinforcement bar underneath the plastic bumper cover and added energy-absorbing foam to the rear bumper.

"This is exactly what bumpers are supposed to do. Their purpose is to prevent damage in low-speed collisions, and Hyundai earns praise for making the improvements," O'Neill says.

Damage to the 1999 Mitsubishi Galant was cut by more than half in the Institute's low-speed crash tests, compared with the 1995 Galant, which the Institute rated poor for bumper performance. Most of the improvement is because of much better performance in the rear-into-pole crash test. Damage to the 1995 model from this test alone was $1,651, compared with only $250 for the 1999 Galant.

Seven of the nine 1999 models tested had better bumper results than their predecessor models. "Such improvements are important because of all the minor bumps that frequently occur in commuter traffic. Such seemingly minor impacts can cost thousands of dollars to repair. Plus there's the major inconvenience of putting a car in the body shop for several days," O'Neill points out.
    "

OK - LEAVE THE ELANTRA ALONE. We've heard everything already.

I, for one, am enjoying my Elantra GT immensely. Stop with the buzz-kill.
  • Options
    pawnofhellpawnofhell Member Posts: 4
    Hey there, my black GT (pkg 7) is en route from port, and I was wondering if I could get a little help. I was wandering if someone could assist me with some hatch/trunk/seats down dimensions so I can work on putting together a sound system for the new ride. Thanks!
  • Options
    If you love your car so much, a few dissenting opinions shouldn't matter, correct? I thought these boards were here to foster a little debate. You've made your points, so don't get bent out of shape when others voice their's.

Most of the 20 or so cars I've owned didn't have airbags (some didn't even have seatbelts - horrors!), and I'm still here to talk about it. However, like many people, I'm concerned by the notion that a mandatory safety device might actually harm me instead of protect me. While this bit of news was something I took into account when deciding to NOT purchase a GT, it wasn't the major factor - I was put off much more by the vague steering, loose body control, and very cheap feeling interior plastics and trim. Enjoy your car, but allow others to offer their points of view - that's what makes these boards so useful.
  • Options
    My GT has the moonroof, ABS, and traction control option. It is clearly listed on the sticker as package 2. Package 1 is the moonroof only. Is the 7 an earlier version that picked up after the 5 packages on the GLS? Sounds like on mine, they separated the models and they now have their own package designations.
  • Options
    I didn't intend to get too bent out of shape, it's just that there have already been many messages posted about the recent Elantra GLS crash test ratings, and I felt the topic had been overkilled. However, there weren't just a few dissenting opinions, there were many, most of them conveying basically the same info.

This is why I got a bit peeved - I'd already heard every possible angle on the crash test results and got defensive about my car, which I love dearly so far.
  • Options
    If Hyundai keeps honing the basic Elantra GT package, and addresses some of the details that I feel need refinement -- and holds the line on pricing -- I'll be back to give it a second look when we are ready to trade our ZX3. After the Ford "experience", I have a hard time believing that owning a Hyundai could be a bigger gamble :)
  • Options
    txaggietxaggie Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone in Texas (or surrounding states) seen a GT with ABS/Traction control? I've been ready to buy for over a month now (and reading this forum for over 2 weeks), but won't buy without ABS. No dealer I have contacted can find one!

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I could find a model with ABS? I plan on moving back up North in the next couple of years and think the ABS and traction control will be invaluable on the ice and snow.

Oh, and hello everybody. :-) *wave*
  • Options
    Silver Bullet, I own a Focus ZX3 also, and believe my owner experience couldn't be worst with purchasing a GT. I am trying to sell or trade my Focus as soon as possible.

I found the GT to be a nice quiet riding car. Although I think the suspension needs to be beefed up a bit. Also, 205/55 series 16" would be a nice addition, to further distiguish it from the GLS.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you are having problems locating ABS. I felt the same way you did and would have gotten a GLS sedan with package 5 (ABS and traction control with no mandatory roof) if I couldn't find the GT with package 2. My car died on a Friday and the next day I went to a Hyundai dealer and told him I wanted a pewter automatic or 5 speed with ABS and traction control. He told me they had none in their allocation and that everything was coming in in red. Then I get a call on Monday telling me they were offloading a silver automatic from the carrier with the ABS package. Drove over, took it for a ride, and bought it just like that. So much for the dealer claiming they had deposits on everything coming in for the next month. I'd visit a few dealers and speak to a few salespeople. Leave your numbers with them and tell them there is something in it for them if the one you want comes in. You'd be surprised at the results. Good Luck.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    But traction control, depending on where you live, is a different story.