Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    No problem with either the fuel gauge or the trip computer here.
  • centarforcentarfor Member Posts: 22
    I E-mailed the Edmunds editors and they said they will be doing a comparison test on the GT and all its competitors next month!
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Boy, we've been bugging the Edmunds' editors for a while to get them to do a comparison of the 5DHs. It'll be interesting to see the results.

16,500 miles on my 2001.5 pewter base model and, except for a fussy fuel gage that only reads "full" after I've driven a few miles, I have no problems to report. Car is driven daily in unforgiving NJ commuter traffic and continues to shine. Still pulling between 25 and 27 mpg depending on my route to work.

I'd previously reported a blown LF speaker. This turned out to be an error. The stereo now works fine. There was probably just a little grit that had been caught in the rotary volume/on-off knob which has now worked its way out. Viva la tuneage, dudes!

Happy motoring.
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    After a fill up the other day, and about a mile driving my guage and computer are working correctly. The door panels are quiet (since I added the o rings), and no other problems!
    So far with over 1200 miles this has been the most trouble free new car.... including a toyota!
    gt_fan -- How did you make out with the oil drain valve?
    (This is also a test to see if this board is working ... so quiet for the last 2 days)
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Weekends do tend to be a little slower around here. Guess that's because you're all out having fun with your Elantra GT's.... ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    Yeah, I was planning to get that thing installed this weekend, but I got hit with a nasty bug of some sort. First time I've stayed home from work in years. Enough whining though, (my lovely and gracious wife isn't interested either) I'm on the mend and will hopefully do the dirty deed in the next few days.

On a healthier note, my GT just passed 4,000 miles, still averaging better than 30mpg lifetime. I recently performed my patented "Old Denver Highway Test" on the car to test the chassis and suspension.

The Old Denver Highway is a stretch of very rough two-lane concrete slab (circa 1930-40's?) that runs between the small towns of Palmer Lake and Larkspur. Back before they put in the interstate, it was the main route between Denver and Colorado Springs. Since then, maintenance on it has been minimal and much of the surface is still original. The slabs have settled in different directions over the decades and at highway speeds you get thrown around pretty good as you fly from one to the other. It's an excellent test of a vehicles chassis rigidity and suspension.

I used to have a '94 Old Cutlass Supreme with the 200hp engine and high performance suspension. On smooth roads it stuck like glue and was one of the best handling cars I've owned, with those big 235/60-16 Michelins. But when I tried to hustle that thing down the Test section it was like herding cats. I think the wheels were off the ground more often than they were on, the bump stops at the bottom of the suspension travel were getting beaten to death, the chassis was twisting back and forth like it was made of rubber and I thought the dash was going to end up in my lap. Not good.

My '95 Audi 90 Quattro was a whole different story. With a very stiff chassis and well-sorted suspension designed for sometimes-less-than-optimum European roads, it stuck like glue and soaked up the abuse with hardly a whimper. The car always felt like it was in complete control of the road and was, as usual, quiet as a tomb inside. Audi has been the master at wheel control for a long time and it showed with that car.

I was expecting the Hyundai to perform more like the Olds than the Audi during the test. It's a bigger car than the Audi, but weighs 600-700 lbs less, so you would assume it would give up a lot in chassis rigidity and suspension sophistication. I'm pleased to report that the Hyundai was very nearly the Audi's equal. There was little or no discernible chassis flex and no rattles. While more jolt got through to the drivers seat than with the Audi, the GT stayed firmly planted on its line, with none of the constant correction needed at that speed with the Olds. Granted, I wouldn't choose to drive that stretch of road everyday, but the GT gave me the feeling that if I needed to, it could handle it.
    Hahahah ... I love the subject line, Mark! :-)

Nice post on your experience on the "Old Denver Highway Test". The ride is certainly one of the GT's strong suits.
  • dieselheaddieselhead Member Posts: 7
    After 3 months of looking for a 5 spd GT I'll be taking delivery of a silver 5 spd with option package 11 (moonroof, ABS, TCS) from Ed Voyles, Hyundai in N Atlanta. I'll post cost details on the "how much did you pay board" after I've written the check. Voyles did a trade with a dealership in Henderson NC for this car, so it already has 190 miles on the clock. Pinstripes and mudguards are included (whoopee!).
    5spd GTs seem rarer than hen's teeth in car crazy GA. If I had to negotiate an Atlanta commute (the most miles in the nation on average) I'd probably have popped for an auto, but a 5spd will work nicely on the country roads of rural GA.
    The only question I have left is what to do with my 1981 diesel Rabbit. I think I'll keep it, as it seemed to annoy the inlaws no end!
    Annoying the inlaws is a good enough reason to keep it, in my book.

Welcome aboard!
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    GT_Fan

Yes, interesting post about your cars. I would like to add my test for chassis rigidity. Drive your car on a diagonal up a fairly steep commercial driveway apron. When I did this in my 94 Civic Si the body would creak and groan. The GT does this in complete silence. No wonder the suspension works so well...its mounted to a VERY rigid platform.
    that should make them Very happy!
  • yardbirdyardbird Member Posts: 30
    centarfor- I've yammed quite a bit over many posts on the quirky nature between my fuel gauge and trip computer readings(after fill-ups)...see my post #1720 (among several others I can't seem to locate now). No reason to go over all that again unless you got a specific question or observation. In the scheme of things it's a minor inconvienence.
  • rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    I finally picked up my new Black, 5-spd GT, pkg 11, this past Saturday. I love that car! Better yet my Mom's coming to visit for Easter, so I can show her my new GT and gloat about how I could've bought two of mine for the price of her Passat. This is going to be a fun couple of days!

I wanted to thank everyone for all the advice which helped me choose this car. Thanks!
    Has anyone seen or installed a hood deflector on their GT. I have a black 2002 GT, which is hard enough to keep clean, but I drive a lot threw bug infested corn fields, so it sure would help there! I was wondering how the hood deflector would look. I saw a picture of one on a silver GT...didn't look to bad, but I'm not sure yet.
    Congrats to rwr1708 on your new car!
    joffice - I thought about putting a hood deflector on mine, but then had the dealer apply that clear plastic adhesive bra instead. The only way you can tell it's there is the telltale line across the hood where it ends. It should stop the sandblasting and most of the smaller rock chips that accumulate with time, but bug guts are another thing altogether. Around here, bug strikes are very rare, but in farm country a good deflector might be a necessity.

Question - What's the last thing that goes through a bugs mind when he smacks head-on into your windshield?

Answer - His butt! (Sorry if everyone's heard that like a million times.)

rwr1708 - nice choice on the GT. That's exactly the color and equipment I was shopping for, but couldn't find. I'm starting to really like the Carbon Blue though. Good luck with yours!
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    A few weeks ago me and my friend ( ages 21 and 22) went to test drive a GT auto and when we asked if we could take it on the highway to test its acceleration, ride and noise at higher speeds, he said we had to stay on a predetermined route set by the county( Bucks, PA). Did anyone else get this response when they test drove the car, otherwise the salesman was nice and let my friend drive it twice around the route. We were quite impressed especially with the price. They were prepared to sell him it at invoice but we needed to get financing first. Also did any of your salesman try to put in with the price a "dealer prep" package around $1200 that included needless things like door edge guards and pin striping. He took it off after a little while though. Continue with the informative posts and hopefully I can share my friends purchase story soon.
    I have a 1991 Sonata and when I fill up it does take about a mile to get to full. I don't think the slowness of the gauge is a problem, I just think that is how it is designed.
  • storkdudestorkdude Member Posts: 26
    Is anybody aware of any aftermarket super/turbo chargers for the GT? It would be nice to have great gobs of low-end torque.
    The first time I went to the dealer just to test drive the GT. No predetermined route (Burlington, NJ). The next time I came back the salesman let me have the car all morning. I'm 31. Maybe that had something to do with it.
    On my first visit I told the salesman I wanted to see a car without the preferred package ($980 worth of junk I can get at Wal*Mart for $25). He dropped that right away.. telling me they use that for "leverage" in most sales. A few days later he gave me the car for the morning! My wife (who I picked up on my drive) and I kept using the "we'll have to see what the other Hyundai dealers can do" line, and it worked GREAT! I ended up driving home a loaded black GT.... everything, but the sunroof deflector. Even got them to drop the DMV fees, and the preferred customer plan (which should be included anyway). Final price was 15300k (with the spoiler, and 3 oil changes).
    ps. it also helped having a folder with internet paper work on this and other cars. plus some hand written quotes from other places (real or not)
    GOOD LUCK! Let me know if you cross the river for a car. My salesman was pretty easy going, and I might be able to get a free tank of gas if you get a car from him :)
    http://www.phantomracing.net/index.htm/prices%202.htm

They have all kinds of wild stuff for Hyundai's.

for the info regarding your test drive experience. The pressure of the salesman is one of the main worries my friend has about the whole car buying experience. We went to McCafferty Hyundai in Langhorne( if you know where that is), and the salesman seemed nice enough but then his manager came in toward the end and was saying things like "why are you not ready to buy today, this is a great price(at invoice)", when we made it clear that we were trying to weigh our options carefully. Also we even said before to the salesman, that we came to this dealership because we heard that the one near us( across the street!) Northeast Auto Outlet in NE Phila. were notorious for pressuring customers and not budging on price, and we didn't need the pressure. Also did your salesman need to make a copy of your driver's license to take the test drives, I read somewhere on Edmunds that you should not have to give them your license because they can run a credit check on you in a few minutes.Could you tell me the dealership that you went to; if other closer places put pressure like the first place we went to we would gladly try there. Thanks.
    could you give me the salesman's name so if we go, we know who to go to. My friend would drive almost anywhere if he knew he wasn't going to be pressured. Also did you get financing for your GT, and if you did, was it from a local bank or from the dealer( Hyundai itself).
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    If dealer pressure is an issue, has your friend considered using Carsdirect.com?
    I bought my car from Hyundai City (Rt130, Burlington). They were trying the usual salesman/manager routine, but It was easy to spot (and use against them).
    Have your friend read the new car buyer's advice here on Edmunds. Years ago I read a Consumer Report book on buying cars.... the sales tactics haven't changed. It's almost funny when you tell them to their face you know what they are doing (and tell them what's next). I've been to a lot of car dealers over the past 15 years, and they all do the same thing. Haven't tried the Saturn one price thing yet, but then I don't like Saturns.
    I did go with the dealer finance. They tried to push 7 3/4% which made me get up and start to leave.... as well as the preferred customer ($89) that they "forgot to mention". I eventually got 5.5% and ALL fees dropped! That rate was better then my credit union!
    I tried the cars direct, and auto-by-tel but neither one could match what I ended up with. Easy, yes, but you can do better.
    Thank you for offering to give me the salesman's name and if possible any contact info. We feel more comfortable going to someone who someone else has had a good experience with. I am not exactly sure when my friend would be visiting the dealership because he is a person who says he will do something but delays or is too nervous( in this case), so that is why I would be going with him to shop. My email is lmp180@psu.edu. Thanks, Lou.
    It is nice to know that finance rates can actually be negotiated along with the price, what was the length of the financing(months), joffficer.
    I'll email his name/number for you.
  • rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    The best advice I can give you is to find two dealers who absolutely hate each other and get a quote from both. In my case it was easy. Both dealers were nice, hated each other, one just had the car I wanted, the other didn't. The dealer I bought from went above and beyond the call of duty (in my opinion). I had never previously driven a 5-spd. The salesman actually took me out in a similar GT and taught me how to drive a manual. He must have spent over an hour with me just on that day alone. I made him know that I could live without the car, and could live with buying it somewhere else. That, alone makes a big difference. jofficer is absolutely right...everything IS negotiable. If its not, go somewhere else, because that dealer may not want to sell a car as badly as another dealer will.

In regards to the test drive thing, I am in western PA and had no problem with the test drive route. Test drove three times, three different routes. If that dealer won't let you, see if another dealer will. Good luck!

Rich
  • dieselheaddieselhead Member Posts: 7
    I posted price details and comments on the dealership over on "what did you pay". Last night after soccer practice we loaded the bag-o-balls into the back (love all that space back there) and I turned the ignition key to "start". Nothing happened! The dash lights did go out but there was complete silence. I let go and tried again a few more times with the same result. Initial reactions were:
    I'm not turning the key far enough, but that didn't seem to be the case
    Maybe there is a an overide that I need to disable - foot on the clutch, in neutral, seatbelt fastened (my Rabbit originally would not start unless the seatbelt was fastened) etc. ? I sat and pondered, got out and checked the battery connections, everything seemed tight, got back in and tried again, still nothing.
    Low battery? Unlikely as the power windows worked fine, new car, etc.
    Bad starter motor? Possible, but there is usually some sort of ticking noise when current is flowing to a bad starter.
    Flaky ignition switch? This is my guess. A few tries later the starter motor suddenly engaged, the engine fired up straight away and we drove home. This morning there was no problem.

Obviously, the dealer will have to take a look at this but I'll wait until after out trip to the beach (in the van) before we take it in.

A question : the roadside assistance literature states that you must be on a public road. Does this mean that I can't get tow service if my vehicle is sitting in my driveway and won't start? Do I push it 20 yards until it's on the road?!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    maybe they mean that you can't be off road or something to that effect? Sorry about the GT not starting. Probably some interlock like a brake or clutch relay is screwing up. Probably one of those small 50 cent parts screwing your day up. The upside is that it's probably nothing major.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    In my experience as an insurance contract developer the term "public roads", when used in contracts, generally refers to any road or thoroughfare which is NOT on property you own, rent or regularly occupy.

In many states, it is legal to own and drive an unregistered (and sometimes uninsured) motor vehicle so long as that vehicle is kept off "public roads". Example: a ranchowner uses his pickup to haul feed from place-to-place within the boundaries of his ranch property. Of course, for 95% of the population such scenarios are impractical (unless you've got a l-o-o-o-ng driveway) and we are expected to register (and insure) our motor vehicles because we use "public roads".

My guess is that Hyundai includes the "public roads" limitation for the very reason that dieselhead suggests. The intent of Hyundai's roadside assistance is most likely to help get disabled or stranded motorists back home (or en route to their destination again).

The assistance plan is most likely not intended to act as a maintenance or towing service contract for those unregistered owners who become disabled on their own property (like Mr. Rancher) or the unlucky owner who happens to get stuck in his/her own driveway (not involved in a point-to-point journey). If Hyundai didn't put the "public roads" limitation in its RAP contract, the costs of offering the service could become prohibitive.

I admit to not having read the fine print of the HMA roadside assistance plan, so I could be wrong about this. I'm just giving you the contract developer's perspective. Pehaps there is a Hyundai-owning attorney who would like to provide some additional interpretation?

Moral of the story: even with HMA's terrific warranty, it's probably a good idea NOT to cancel your AAA membership.

Happy Motoring.
  • gtjillgtjill Member Posts: 6
    I have a 5 speed GT, and the clutch needs to be pushed in all the way to start the car. Did you have the clutch in?

Also, When the glass in the back window of my GT broke, I was in my moms driveway. Hyundai did come and tow it back to my dealership for me.
  • jasperblujasperblu Member Posts: 4
    Anyone else notice that Hyundai has commercials out for every other model they make, but none for our wonderful GT hatchback?

It also drives me crazy that I can't get the auto insurance companies and dealer parts/accessories departments, etc. to even find this vehicle in their computers or parts books. The GT just doesn't show up, only the standard Elantra. It's been out for almost a year... what gives?

I sincerely hope that Hyundai plans to keep the GT hatchback model around for a long time to come -- b/c I would definitely be a repeat buyer!

C-
    jasperblu noted --

"Anyone else notice that Hyundai has commercials out for every other model they make, but none for our wonderful GT hatchback?"

There are likely a few good reasons for that --

a) GTs sell themselves without advertisement -- note the limited numbers (some even mention shortages) on many Hyundai lots;

b) It is probably a loss leader for Hyundai, in that there is too much content in the car for the price.

c) The "regular" Elantra is Hyundai's best seller, and the GT is the cream on the cake. No need to advertise and create more of a demand, as they'd have to raise the price. Right now, the car is playing with the "big boys" when it comes to value for money.

It all has to do with branding ... getting the name out there and getting it taken more seriously as a top contender -- espeically among the sceptical (we already know better). In order to do this they have to put out a product that will get more people into the showrooms and actually buying. Once the public's perception is raised (like with Toyota and Honda, etc.) their marketing focus will change. At that time, I would bet that the GT will be dropped and/or the price will go up.
  • gt_jenkgt_jenk Member Posts: 4
    I'm still a little in shock. I just traded my beloved (but outgrown) 97 Integra RS for a sweet Carbon Blue, Option 10, 5 spd GT. I drove a few automatics some time ago, but never found the 5 spd until yesterday -- the only one for sale in the San Diego metro area for weeks. I bought it today.

The buzz on this auto is well deserved. I think I first read about this car on Edmunds. Its true that Hyundai isn't doing anything to sell it, and I can see why. They're very hard to find.

After driving an Integra 4 years and 80K through SoCal's winding canyons and desert vistas, I'm not too impressed with driving anything else. My expectations were very low for the GT. What a killer surprise. It doesn't grab the corners quite as tight, but the suspension and handling are truly close...and power above 4500 RPM is significant.

Most importantly, I can pick people up at the airport now...and living in San Diego, you get lots of visitors.

Couldn't be happier with jumping the gun.
    gt_jenk

Welcome to the fray. Great choice. Its funny,I made the same leap as you. Traded in my 94 Civic Si and was very leary about my choice. I've got a great riding/handling car that is most practical. Same 0-60 as my old car,great brakes and a super highway cruiser for those long trips.
    All this in a car with a hatch AND a full size back seat. Good luck with your car and keep us informed.

wmoses

I fear you are right about them dropping the GT eventually. They must be losing on these cars!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    better to offer GT and GLS trim in both sedan and hatch. I still think the Tibby V6 could be shoehorned in to compete with the hot Japanese cars in the same platform size.
  • indomieindomie Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone! Wow, stumbling onto this message board has truly enlightened me about the GT. I have gone through all 1700+ messages to hear what everyone had to say about this car.

I'm a recent college grad, and this will be my first new car purchase (and only my second overall). My first, a used '93 Cherokee, caused me nothing but grief and thousands of dollars in repairs over the past year and a half. It's time to cut my losses...

The incredible warranty is what first led me to Hyundai. The GT caught my eye and heart after I saw a 2001.5 Chianti 5-speed w/ moonroof at the only dealer here in Jackson, MS. After an overnight test drive, I was truly hooked.

Previous Hyundai reliability issues and a strong predisposition in my family towards used rather than new cars made me hesitate. Several more months of research and this message board have made me confident enough to spend my hard-earned money on a new GT. Yes! I think the relief of finally making up my mind is worth at least as much as the car.

So, all that being said, I now need some advice. Today, the dealer offered to find me a 5-sp base GT at invoice after I told him a dealer in St. Louis had offered one at that price. (I was honestly willing to travel that far!)

As I left him to start looking, he asked if I really wasn't interested in the 2K1.5 they already have that I test drove. I said probably not for three reasons:

1. Instant 2 year depreciation instead of one w/ a 2K2 (not really an issue since I intend to keep this forever, but worth mentioning).

2. I don't want a moonroof. Actually, I like them, but think they're a feature I wouldn't use much here - too hot!!

3. The car already has 200 miles on it from previous test drives (I put at least 50 miles on it myself).

#3 was the real clincher for me - I know that there is a break-in process, but I don't know exactly what it is. That being said, I would rather break it in myself, I think, to ensure it is driven ok during that "critical" time.

He told me that there really isn't much of a break-in process anymore (a lie, I know) and then said that they could give me the 2K1.5 for a price that reflects the depreciation.

Assuming that the price is right, should I accept it in light of the 200 miles? I really know nothing about breaking a car in... am I being silly to worry about 200 miles? If it is driven carefully and according to the books for the rest of the break-in process, will I be ok? Finally (perhaps this should have been my first question), what exactly does the break-in process do???

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!
  • therhinotherhino Member Posts: 21
    We've put 10,000 miles on our 2001.5 GT, and it's been great. Only drawback for me was having to give the GT to my wife in return for her 2001 GLS.
    (The GLS has 18,000 miles).

A few months ago the GT wouldn't start in my driveway. It was towed for free. It was a bad ignition switch. Took over a week to fix, had a free loaner car the whole time, a stripped-out Corolla that didn't come close to the GT. I told the dealer that I thought the ignition switch was bad over the phone, but he insisted that they rarely ever go bad, and he didn't even stock them. Oh well, things happen. Overall, I would highly recommend the GT and the GLS to anyone. We sold both of our Acura Legends to get the two Hyundais, and haven't regretted it yet.
    From what I was told, these cars (and most other makes) don't require the break-in cars got in the past. That being said I still would follow some kind of break-in... don't drive for long periods at the same speed, try not to do more than 65 for the first 500 miles, and keep track of your mileage. The mileage thing is to see if there is any significant change that you can't feel (it's always a good idea to keep track of).
    One other break-in thing I always recommended was to change you oil at 500-1000 miles. This I was told, by the service manager, isn't a good idea. He said Hyundai has some kind'a additives in the factory oil they want in there for the first 3750 miles. Something about helping the seals. I thought he was full of it, a good friend of mine told me Toyota (and others) does the same thing (he's a very good mechanic with Toyota).
    Anyway.. 200 miles on that car isn't bad at all. It gives you a lot of room to work with. Keep telling them your not sure about buying a 'used' car for that price (that'll make them crazy). You'll still get the full warranty. Remember, that 2001.5 is probably killing them with interest payments! (yes, the dealers pay interest on the cars they have for over a month or two)
  • therhinotherhino Member Posts: 21
    ...forgot to mention, a few months ago in my area of Florida, there were at least fifteen billboards throughout the area for the ElantraGT. They were up for about two or three months. I was really surprised to see all of them; it must have cost a fortune. Soon after they appeared, I did that car swap with my wife, so every time I looked at the billboards it was like salt in an open wound. I'm glad the billboards are now gone, it helps me to forget about the trade...
  • dbwellsdbwells Member Posts: 44
    ...you guys are fooling yourselves if you think Hyundai is losing money on them. If they are, then they must be losing money on just about all of their cars, and if that is the case, we should be very afraid of the future. The difference in price between, say, a pkg. 4 Elantra GLS and a pkg. 10 GT is about $1500 according to TMV, once you factor in the rebate on the GLS. What do you get for that money? Leather, alloys, rear discs, and some purple lights. Price these out: leather=maybe $600, alloys=about $300, rear discs=$400, purple dash=free. That's $1300, so given these rough numbers the profit is actually more. Also, these types of add-ons are precisely the type that are loaded with profit for the manufacturer. How much do you think alloy wheels actually cost to make, compared to what people are willing to pay? The same is even more true for the whole leather industry. I am tempted to give some credit for the cost of the hatch over a traditional trunk, but I am fairly certain that Hyundai sells a GLS hatch in other countries with no difference in price from the sedan, so I can't really do that fairly.

Don't get me wrong, I like the GT as much as anybody. But I have been over the numbers a thousand times, and the GLS is at least as good of a "value," if not better, in my opinion. Call me crazy, but I am holding out for a rebate or a price reduction when the new models arrive, because the price premium over the GLS is simply not justifiable for me as is.
    DW
    dbwells said --

"...you guys are fooling yourselves if you think Hyundai is losing money on them. If they are, then they must be losing money on just about all of their cars, and if that is the case, we should be very afraid of the future."

If the GT could be bringing in more than it is because it is priced aggressively compared with the competition, then is that not a "loss"?

It might not be an actual loss but it is likely still seen as a loss when comapred with the potential. Especially to the accountants and business-types at Hyundai.

I hear what you are saying, and in a way, if one is just looking for a great car/transportation appliance at the best possible value for money then the GLS is a worthy competitor to the GT -- maybe as you say even more of a value leader.

If however, you want styling, handling, 4-wheel discs and a fairly rare car all in one package, then you can't look to a GLS. It depends on what one is looking for.
    dbwells

A few things you left off your short list:

1)Speed Sensitive Steering
    2)Fog Lights
    3)Cruise Control
    4)CD Player and 6 speakers
    5)Sport Tuned Suspension
    6)Remote Keyless Entry w/alarm
    7)Intermittent Rear wiper/washer

Items 1,2,5 and 7 are not available on the GLS. They are all standard on the GT.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    which is the hatch! And the intermittent rear wiper and the trip computer and the black bumper insert and side molding protection......
  • dbwellsdbwells Member Posts: 44
    First, wmoses, you hit the nail right on the head I think as to what I was trying to say. The GT is undeniably cool, but how much is 'cool' really worth? If I had a bit more money, I would buy the GT tomorrow, but I don't. More specifically, I am a 23-year-old yahoo with college bills to pay and a wife to convince before I buy anything, especially a new car. I'm sure some of you have been there, especially the wife part :) As strange as it may sound, she has put a price on 'cool,' about $500 - 1000 dollars. That is, she is only willing to pay that much more for things with no practical value on a car, or things whose price exceeds its practical value. Other than the hatch, this describes most things on the GT. They are for luxury or looks. The car enthusiast in me loves these things, my practical side tries to justify them. It can't.
    (On a side note, great website wmoses!)
    Finally, 5port, I did forget the fog lights and the wiper, so that makes things about equal. I left out the suspension issue because that is a matter of taste, not value, some of the first GTs didn't even have it. All the other things you mention can be found on the pkg. 4 GLS, as I stated.
    mpgman, I did forget the trip computer also, so maybe things are slightly tipped in favor of the GT now, but not a lot. I did mention the hatch, though. I guess when it comes down to it, it is just that all Hyundai's are awfully good values. Here's hoping they stay that way. DW
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Speed-sensitive steering comes standard on the GLS too.
  • indomieindomie Member Posts: 10
    I know exactly where you're coming from, dbwells. I, too, have a wife to convince, but I think I've done it. I've been intensively researching cars since January, and she's now at the point where I think she'll pay me to shut up and buy a car. Hours of research and constant nitpicking questions about nearly every car we pass on the road have succeeded in wearing her long-lasting patience thin. Luckily for me (and our three-month marriage!), I think the papers are close to being signed...

It sounds like your wife's $500-$1000 "price on cool" is only a few hundred dollars off of your own estimate on the GT extras vs. the GLS. Who knows what the next month or two will bring by way of rebates to make up that difference?? Good luck! : )

Jofficer - thanks for the quick response. I love the idea of referring to it as a "used car". We'll see how low he comes on the price... Anybody else have insight on the break-in process??
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    In Australia up until this year the Hatch and Sedan in GLS spec were the same price. I was rather amazed as the hatch got rear discs as standard whereas the sedan had drums, plus I thought the hatch was worth more anyways.

Hyundai obviously agreed. The hatch is now $1000 more than the sedan, with exactly the same equipment level apart from the disc brakes.

I think it is probably worth the extra, for the usefulness of the hatch and those discs