Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    From the Edmunds site....

Hyundai has added a GT sedan to the lineup. It has the same price and equipment as the GT hatchback, save for a rear wiper, and it gets a body-color rear spoiler. The hatchback will wear a black rear lip spoiler, and both GTs will come with floor mats. Meanwhile, the value-packed GLS sedan remains unchanged, except ABS will be slightly more affordable, as it has been added to the Accessory Group 3 options package, which costs $925. Finally, Hyundai announced that it had misstated the horsepower ratings for all of the models in its lineup -- the Elantra is now rated at 135 hp, rather than 140. To compensate, the company is offering owners (of 2000 models and newer) three options: 10 years of roadside assistance, 6-year/72,000-mile basic warranty coverage or 12-year/120,000-mile powertrain coverage.
  • gpagpagpagpa Member Posts: 55
    Has anyone tried the something called an "oil extractor" which is basically a long tube that goes into the hole where the dipstick is and is attached to a hand/foot pump with a resovoir to collect the old oil? Looks like it will bypass the removal of the drain plug, but does the washer need to be changed periodically if the drain plug is never removed? Good Idea or not?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    I was surfing the Hyundai UK site and found that the 5-door Elantra is available in Britain with a 2-liter (litre?) turbo-diesel that gets 44mpg in their urban/extra urban combined ratings.

http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/frameset.html

I seriously considered the VW Golf TDi before I decided on the GT. The VW was just too small inside and too expensive, but I loved the relaxed low rpm grunt and great mileage of the diesel. The Elantra diesel is more powerful than the VW (111hp vs 90hp) and I'm sure it would be less expensive. It would have been a slam-dunk decision for me. I wonder how many other Americans would be interested in the diesel option?

• ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Yeah, I thought it was hilarious when I heard about this $%$^-up! Every single vehicle they sold had grossly overstated HP readings. I'm not saying other manufacturers are innocent in this respect - Nissan and Mazda have been embarassed recently with the Sentra SE-R Spec V and Special Edition Miata, respectively - but only Hyundai had each models HP overstated by 3-5%. Intentional misinformation? I wonder!
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Please.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The comment on Edmunds.com on the frontal offset crash test must be from the IIHS test on the '01 GLS; there's been no IIHS test on the Elantra since then.
  • bluegillbluegill Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at a 03 GT in Carbon Blue with the roof and deflector as the only options. Took one out for a spin tonight and man! What a zippy little car! I'm currently in a 2000 Maxima SE and that car does not hurt for giddyup and go but the GT really impressed me.

Hard to get a feel on the seats as I was sitting on plastic and sliding around a bit :) Shifted really sweet except it was a little notchy goint from 5th to 4th...I'm used to a clutch that is a little heavier and the clutch seems a little bit too far over to the right.

Other than that I love it! Got lots of looks tonight which suprised me up here in Manchester NH. Need to get out from under the Maximas payment and it also has 70 k on it. Was commuting from Cape Code to north of Boston everyday :(

Radio sounded pretty bass-ee as mentioned above..loved the purple gauges....anyhow...price quoted..well price is $14,583...how is that? They have one with abs and moonroof for likealmost 700 or so dollars more...is the ABS worth it?

I can tell you I'm not crazy about ABS and the Celica GTS I drove in New England winters for 10 years didn't have it either....at least the ABS on my Maxima I'm not crazy about.

Seems like everyone is pretty happy with their cars here...

How much difference is there between the 02's and 03's beside saving a bunch of $$?

Also how different is the GLS sedan vs the GT? I plan on testing a GLS 5spd this weekend

Ok that should do it for now regarding questions...

I sat in a Tiberon....someone tell me why there are even seats in the back? My 8 or 10 year old could not fit back there :) I almost busted a nut trying to get out of the damn thing also lol
    The GT has a "sport suspension" so it handles a little better than the GLS. The GT has 4-wheel disc brakes. Same engine. Cloth interior (grey or tan) on the GLS, and white-on-black gauges. Standard features on the GT like cruise, keyless with alarm, and CD are extras on the GLS. Alloys and fog lights aren't even available as a factory option on the GLS (unless you wait for the new GT sedan, then they're standard). Different grille. Discounts and rebates tend to be bigger on the GLS so it should cost a lot less than the MSRP difference compared to the GT.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I have enjoyed reading all the posts here the past 2 months. Thought I was ready to get a great deal on the 2002 Elantra GT. Yesterday, I took my wife for a 20 mile ride in one & she was not impressed with the comfort (she has a very fussy back) nor the appearance (too plain in her view). I liked (not love)it and was willing to settle into a 4 door hatchback, but her opinion counts. Looks like the 2002 Civic Si just moved up the list for us.
  • nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    Bluegill:

Currently there is a 1250 rebate on the gt's.

My brother in law just picked up (last month-no rebate,no trade) a '02 pewter gt with sunroof and abs/traction control, 5spd for 14K at Rte2 Hyundai in Leominster, MA. It's worth a trip (I bought my '02 Sonata from them and refered 4 customers to them and I haven't had a complaint back).

http://www.rte2hyundai.com/

Ask for Ryan.

In August I had them down to 12K out the door, looking with my sister in law. I think you could get one for $13.5

Later

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Let's please stick to the subject of this discussion, and avoid making each other the focus of discussion. Okay? Any further off topic posts will be subject to automatic deletion.

To those concerned: Feel free to send me an email if you have any further questions/comments. And now back to the subject of the Elantra GT. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Thanks for jumping in there and taking control of things before they got out of hand.

As to the GT, suffice to say that while it isn't a bad vehicle, it isn't something that appeals to me, although I would no longer hesitate to recommend it to a friend in a flash if it seems like all they'd need :)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Here's an interesting tidbit I found that correlates with the discussion over Hyundai's mistake in hp ratings. The 03 Chrysler PTcruiser's sticker mentions a rear anti-roll bar as standard. Owners have begun to notice that the bar is missing. When they called Chrysler, they were told it was no longer needed due to tweaks to the torsion beam. The first batch of cars had a sticker that didn't reflect the change. So far, Chrysler has done nothing to compensate these owners for the misprint. At least one dealer is offering to install the bar if the owner can notice a difference in handling with a loaner or give credit in service or accessories for the price of the bar. But that's at the dealer level, not manufacturer level. Anyway, this is just another example of how Hyundai is not the only one that makes mistakes in advertising. At least Hyundai acknowledged it and offered something to those who were affected the most, unlike Chrysler.
  • tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    My 2000 Ford Windstar SE (56k miles, no major probs thank god!) manual mentions not to leave the steering wheel turned from straight on for too long. Seems its not good for the pump or something. I have been looking into the Elantra GT and was curious if it has the same issue? Or is that just the way new cars are nowadays?

Also, can someone describe the alarm and what it can do? What points it secures, is the alert the horn or siren, and can additions such as a pager be added?
    Ford probably means you should leave the wheel straight ahead while the car is running. Common sense, not a manufacturer-specific issue.

I set off my GLS alarm once, and it is a slightly annoying chirpy siren. The trunk can be opened after the alarm is engaged. I am not sure if that applies to the 5-door.
    been in contact with Rt 2 Hyundai..I've been emailing back and forth with a woman named Melissa. She quoted me 13300 for and 2003 GT with moon roof plus 495 destination. The 2003 with moon and abs was 13900 plus 495. That is a less money than Autofair quoted me for the one without abs!

Seems like they have some pretty aggressive pricing. I called Autofair and left a message with the salesman to see if he would meet or beat her quote(Autofair is much closer than having to fight with Rt 495) We played phone tag so I never got a straight answer. I am looking for a Pewter one, neither dealer has one though.

I'm going to be going back to AutoFair tomorrow and test out some GLS's in 5 spd and auto...after the commute I had on Rt 3 tonight I'm not so sure on a stick anymore .

Ther is a gray GLS with a spoiler that is an exact duplicate of my Gray Lustre 2000 Maxima SE...it would be my "Mini Me car" lol

Sort of weird to be going from a Max to Elantra....
    Interesting note about DC's response to the PT Cruiser snafu. Remember when the GT was brand-new, and the sticker listed a remote hatch release as standard equipment--but there was no remote release! And none was really needed, because there's a release lever on the hatch. Anyway, Hyundai apologized to the first few GT owners who had the "remote release" on the sticker and, if I recall, sent them a check for $100. Maybe somebody who bought one of those first GTs could verify that story.
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    hatch release misprint....on very early production GTs consider it verified...
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    But did they send you $100.00?
    yep
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Member Posts: 43
    I just purchased the GT after trading-in my 02 Civic yesterday. It is a better car than the Civic. My wife really likes its quiet ride and feels more secured inside.

Since it has only been two days for my ownership experience, there could hardly be any problem. One thing that does worry me a bit is the fuel indicator. I drove about 50 miles back home after the sales man filled a full tank for me. Today, the trip meter showed that I have been driving over 60 miles since the fill-up, but the fuel indicator still stays at "F" (full), showing no consumption of any gas usage. Accordingly, the MPG shows that I have acchieved something like 35 mpg, which is not likely the case.

I have been reading your excellent and quite helpufl posts a lot before making my decision and know there was a problem that the fuel indicator did not reach to "F" on the older models of GT, but could my problem just be the other way around? Anyway, I will keep driving another 100 miles or so before calling the dealership.

Thanks and enjoy the drive.
    When I bought my 02 Gt in September, I experienced the same illusion. The trip computer was saying that I was getting up to 38 mpg, but I think that has to be due to the fact that the car is brand new and there are not "enough" miles driven for the estimate to be accurate. I'm at 1200 miles now and no where near the 38 mpg mark I had when driving back from the dealership. It hovers around 33. Either way, I think it delivers on being a fuel efficient vehicle. I think right after a fill up, the fuel guage stays at full for a while, I just drove 70 miles after a fill up, and it was still at F. Today, I drove another 70 or so and it had moved to a little more than 3/4.
    The 2002 Maximas experience the same false readings with their trip computers...and thats from a car costing over 10k more than the GT. Just do it the old fashioned way by dividing your miles driven by amount of gallons put in at fillup :)
    the fuel indicator may not be completely accurate any any time but I can tell you one thing.... when the red light (or in our case the fuel icon in the computer goes off and it starts blinking...) you still have about 1.5 gallons of gas left even when the computer says your mileage left is in the single digits... limp home feature...
    traded in an 02 Civic(what level)? how much did you pay for it and how much did you get on trade...why trade in such a new car.... (i've always wondered why people trade in cars that are still in the current model year....)
    Driving 60+ miles on the GT before the gas gauge moves off "F" is not unique to the GT. It's a trait of every car I've ever driven. The only difference is how many miles you can go before the needle drops below "F". I play a little game with myself (yes, I must live a dull existence) to see how many miles I can squeeze out of my cars before the needle passes "F". On my GLS, it's usually between 70-80, but once I got over 100. On my GCS, it's more like 40-50 in town and 70+ on the highway. The trip computer on the GCS doesn't get rattled by this behavior; it's pretty accurate from the first mile, at least in terms of mpg. It's overly pessimistic (I expect by design) on MTE, as I've frequently driven long past zero MTE (not too smart I know, but I know my GCS and the low-fuel light comes on when it still has 5 gallons in the tank).

The one annoying thing about this gas-gauge reserve buffer is when I get a rental car that someone has returned after draining the reserve buffer and not refueling, so I get a car that is technically "full" but in reality may be down 2-3 gallons. What I do then, if I'm not driving far, is not refuel and just let the rental car agency calculate fuel charges based on miles used (my ocmpany has a pretty decent contract rate for fuel).
  • wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    Congratulations to nihao4587 of the purchase of this fine automobile!

One question, if you don't mind me asking -- how come you traded in a brand new 2002 Civic?

I have found that in all the cars I have had so far, the fuel gauge tend to not read linearly when the tank is pressed full. The needle will stay on full for a long time before moving down, and in that time for the same distance travelled it would move through a "smaller arc" than later on in the tankful of gas. I wouldn't worry about it.

Of more concern would be if the needle were not registering full or past full when you fill up, as some owners have experienced.

As for the trip computer, I have had my best mileage when the car was in its break-in period. That was because I was driving slower and, as is typical of today's cars, they are not as tight as new cars used to be in days gone by. It was also in the Fall of 2002 -- no A/C use. So I am not too surprised at your mileage.

However, again, the trip computer is likely suffering from the same malady as the fuel gauge when the tank is pressed full -- understandably so since it would likely get the volume of fuel consumed from the same source. Better to see what the trip computer says over the whole tank and also compare it with a manual calculation.

This forum is a good source of information. Another good source, especially for personalizing your GT, is my Elantra GT website --

http://gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/

• edovidedovid Member Posts: 22
    Tom & Ray Magliozzi have an explanation for why these things work the way they do: http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1995/February/09.html
  • storkdudestorkdude Member Posts: 26
    I'm pretty sure that the Hyundai uses some variation of a current sensor. I'd bet that it only alarms when a door or hatch is open--if you turn on the dome light from inside while the car is alarmed it probably won't go off. Shock sensors and other goodies could be added if you outputted them to make the car think the door opened. A pager can surely be added if you can read a schematic and are a little handy with electronics. Having said that, do you really want to find yourself face-to-face with some surprised car thieves? When I was younger I had a pager on my 84 Accord. It went off once and I flew out the door only to find them already gone (car was OK). I have never regretted not meeting them.
    Thanks a lot. You guys are very helpful.

The fuel indicator just went down this morning. I will have to wait and see how it performs in the long run. By the way, the civic did not do this whatsoever. It ususally went off FULL after 50 miles highway driving.

For the people who interested:

I traded my civic is because it poor build quality, not mentioning its bumpy and noisy ride. I had that car for about 6 months so far, and there were already numerous rattlings, which made me afraid what it could be once the short warranty ended. Plus, my wife really appreciated the GT's ride. She said she felt like in a camry (though I still prefer civic on twisty turns at higher speed).

Finacially, we did not lose anything for the trade-in except DMV fees and else since we bought the civic (02 LX sdn AT) at a really good price and GT (02 AT Sunroof) had this 1250 rebate going on this month. We were originally heading for a GT without options, but there was only one left in rally red. After seeing how horrible that paint was and hearing rattles during the test-drive, we were left without choice. Gladly my wife found the current GT on the lot and we were really satisfied after test-driving it.
    The long antenna on the GT was sort of making me uneasy when parking into a garage. I found there were quite some auctions on Ebay for a shorter rubber-like antenna for the GT. There was actually a picture with this antenna on a real GT and that looks cool. Has anyone tried these? Will that void the warranty by moderating the antenna? Thanks.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Congrats on your new Elantra GT, and thanks for sharing all the details. Btw, you may also be interesting in checking out our Hyundai Elantra Owners Club... where you'll find direct links to other Elantra discussions throughout Town Hall. Look for a direct link at the top of this page. And while you're there, perhaps take a moment to say hello in our Elantra Owners - Meet the Members discussion.

We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    The Euro antenna on Ebay has poor reception and after taking a long trip the antenna stays in a bent over shape until you straighten it (by hand).
    I've finally found a dealer that has some 2002 GT's in stock. I've been quoted by Mirak Hyundai in Arlington MA a total price including destination for a 2002 Carbon Blue w/pkg 10 $13,050. (5 spd)

The same car with same options in a 2003 was quoted for $14,388.

What if any difference is there between these 2 cars? I know the $1250 rebate factors in but is there any signifigant benefits by buying a 03 over the 02?
    Thanks for your advice. Have you tried the antenna yourself, or do you have any idea if there is a way to make the stock antenna shorter?
    Is the ABS option over-rated? I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible and just not sure if it is an option needed given the disc brakes.

Is it worth it?
    I own the Euro antenna so I speak from experience. My present antenna for the GT is the Pep Boys "Universal replacement antenna". It costs $7.99,is 17" long, made of wire that is wrapped around a stiff fiberglass rod covered in black pvc vinyl. Reception is great, looks good on the car. The only problem is that non of the adapters that come with it will fit the GT. The adapter that comes with the Euro antenna is the only adapter that fits the URA. If you already have a Euro antenna this will fit.
    Hyundai already has a similar black antenna it sells on the Tiburons. You might go to the dealer and check it out.
    Your third option is to cut your stock antenna to half length and have it coated black. Dont forget to put some kind of eye saving device on the tip ; )
    I'm not going to open that can of worms ("is ABS worth it?")

I will say I bought my GT with no ABS/TCS and have been very happy with the brakes so far. I have had a few braking events in the rain and they havent locked yet. To me the condition of your tire tread and how well the brakes modulate are more important. The GT's brakes modulate very well.
    I agree with 5port that this car brakes very well without ABS. My previous car was my first with ABS and it spoiled me most of the time (downhill on ice is still spooky). I had a blast during three winters SLAMMING the brakes at stop signs with complete control. My next Elantra will have ABS (I think it is worth it, yes yes), but as I said, my GLS was perfectly fine without it during her first Michigan winter.
    now how about the pricing?

Nashua Hyundai said I can be out the door with pkg 6(moon, no abs or TC) with destination and all doc fees for 14385.00

Good deal or should I opt for the 2002 for 13050 plus about 130 for doc fees?
    If there are no equipment differences and you don't mind that you are buying a 2002 rather than 2003, take the "older" model. As for pricing on any Elantra, I think even the sticker price is a very good value (not that I paid it). Just over $13K for a GT sounds incredibly good to me. Hmmm ... time for me to trade up already?
    Thanks.Have you tried either of the following antennas? ebay item#=1868743319 and 1868775036
  • montrealgtmontrealgt Member Posts: 14
    A quote from my dealer earlier this week, when I asked what the difference was between the two years. "Same car, more dollars for the '03". So, I'd say get the '02 if you aren't planning on reselling it in the future.
  • nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    Last month, '02 pewter gt w/sunroof,tcs/abs, 5spd.
    14K @ rte2.
    Bluegill, make the phone call before it's gone!
    No pressure, but I don't think you gonna do better, (maybe a hundred), go get it!
    Take the '02, excise and sales tax and ins. will save you $$
    No I havent.
    Ok, the sound coming from the passenger side (back) is driving me crazy, I know there were owners that experienced this clattering. Did anyone figure out what it was and how to make it stop? If some of you brought it into the dealer, did they do anything to correct it, or did they acknowledge that there were a number of complaints about the noises?
    With what little data youve given me could be:

1) I had a rattle in the passenger side rear seat. It was worse when the interior was hot and not there when cold. If I put the seatback down it was gone. Took it to the dealer and when I got it back rattle was gone. Dont know what they did but they left some grease marks by the rear seat hinges.

2) Another possibility is to check your spare tire. If the plastic nut holding it is loose you will have rattles when going over bumps. Might have to put foam under it.

3) Tool kit pouch on passenger side rear quarter panel is another source (in trunk floor). I stuffed some shipping foam in with the tools to keep this quiet.
    Well, I heard about the spare tire before, but I thought since it was in the trunk, I would not be able to hear it if it was making noise. It sounds like its coming from the passenger middle to the backseat. I thought it was the seatbelt metal hitting the plastic side, but I think its further in the back. I will, check the spare tire and tighten any screws. So, did the dealer let you know what the problem was? I did not have any sounds after I bought it, but rather a few weeks after.
    >So, did the dealer let you know what the problem >was?

I was so happy it was gone I didnt ask,sorry. I lived with that one for months.

>I did not have any sounds after I bought it, but >rather a few weeks after.

Rather typical of all cars.
  • clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    Hello all,
    I finally got off the fence and picked up a 03 GT with ABS, Moonroof, and Automatic in Chinti Red for invoice!

After driving a Focus ZX3 for three years I think I died and went to heaven.
    Some questions....
    When the alarm goes off how long does it wail and will it turn itself off?
    Sometimes I need to park way away from my house in center city.

The dealer wants to sell me an engine kill switch for $309.00 which includes insurance for $3000.00.
    I think I just want the kill switch (sans insurance) but cannot seem to find a source for one? Any help there?

ABS...only turn ABS on in foul wether?

TIA Frank
  • dharmasutradharmasutra Member Posts: 5
    Just bought my GT with ABS/TCS (thank you, thank you) and am curious about the TCS feature. I didn't notice before I bought it that the TCS is a button that you can choose to enable or disable - I had assumed that it would be full-time TCS. I'm wondering whether engaging the TCS means worse mpg or a drain on the battery. Anyone notice any negative side-effects of engaging the TCS? Why not turn it on every time you drive?