Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    jn1957jn1957 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2004 LT 4WD, and within 350 miles on it the engine light came on, the dealer said it was the fuel sytem emissions code P0442. They told me I didn't put the gas cap on tight enough, to make along story short it has 1500 miles on it and has been to the dealer four times for this problem, the replaced the gas tank, filler neck. I'm picking it up tomorrow. (hope the light stays off) Has anyone had similar problems? Thanks
  • Options
    seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    Kudron: I would ask the folks over in the Paint and Body Repair board (Town Hall/All Makes/Paint/Paint & Body Maintenance & Repair).

Someone there may have previous experience with your dilemma. Good luck!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's one I didn't know about - thanks!

Here's the link:

Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair

Steve, Host
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    Same thing happened to me, left the cap loose and got the light. It takes about 4 or 5 stop and start cycles to reset it.

Allen
  • Options
    dlaredlare Member Posts: 43
    We've towed our 4000# travel trailer a few times with good success. Plenty of power, but the tranny shifts at wierd times, and doesn't seem to upshift when it should, IMHO. It's pretty stable with the weight distributing hitch and sway control too. I have the Prodigy brake controller.

Mine's the 2002 EXT with the 3.73 rear.

Dean
  • Options
    kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    Well I called Sal Zaino and chatted with him and he suggested that I either clay bar or use 3M Adhesive Remover. I asked about mineral spirits and he said that should not hurt the finish.

So I spent the better part of three hours today trying to get this mess off of my truck. I started out with the clay bar, but it didn't do very much. I next tried WD40 and that didn't work very well either. Becoming somewhat frustrated, I decided to try the mineral spirits. Lo and behold, it worked. I had to wipe the paint splatters two or three times with the mineral spirits, let it soak for one to two minutes, then a little elbow grease and the paint splatters started rubbing off. After that, I did a good wash job to get the mineral spirits off of the truck and all is well. There are some splatters left, but I can get those later. Next up is a complete clay job and get some Zaino on the truck.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
  • Options
    momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    put a tape in (yes we still have those LOL )well anyway the tape is spitting back out and won't be taken in to play and the little tape light stays on continuously so I will call the dealership on Monday to get it fixed as the payment numbers get smaller the more I look to paying off the lease early and getting out but not until I find something else first . I also need them to look at the rear seal again as it is peeling for the third time and i also need them to listen to the front end again feels like the axle again . never seems to end
  • Options
    ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    "WAKE UP GM......"

No, what really is missing from the bunch is a real offroadable (Z71 package?) version from GM. Not another lowered soccer mom car.
  • Options
    ccarboccarbo Member Posts: 1
    I got a 02 Envoy SLT about a month ago. The driver's mirror never sets to the memory setting for either driver 1 or driver 2. Tried a few things, read the manual few times, and nothing. Anyone have any info for fixing this problem?? I have little over 40,000 on it so warranty is not going to work. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    If you do a search of this discussion for "wandering mirrors" you'll get more info than you'll want to read, it's been discussed a bunch.
  • Options
    adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    It seems the added rubber strips have helped somewhat, especially from the howling type crosswinds. I may try some ventvisors and see how that improves the noise, if at all. The in-channel visors look much better in my opinon than the stick on type, so that narrows it down to EGR and Weathertech, with weathertech being about $30 pricier. By the way, just drove my dads Honda CRV on interstate trip and I can report that the TB is much quieter regarding engine and road noise than the CRV.
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Agreed. I like my LT 4x4 quite a bit, but a Z71 packaged model would really hit the spot. Maybe with something similar to the current ~2" lift aftermarket mods already on it and larger / more aggressive off-road tires on it. If there had been a package like this when I was buying, I know I would have spent more than I did just to have it.
  • Options
    cwalker29cwalker29 Member Posts: 20
    GMC Envoy

Deletions

Exterior color: (16U) Silver Green Metallic
    Exterior color: (39U) Indigo Blue Metallic
    Exterior color: (47U) Polo Green Metallic
    Interior color: Light Tan
    Interior color: Dark Pewter
    Interior color: Medium Pewter
    (UPC) TravelNote digital recorder

New Features

Exterior color (16U) Steel Gray Metallic
    Exterior color (22U) Superior Blue Metallic
    Exterior color (38U) Emerald Jewel Metallic
    Interior color: Light Gray
    Interior color: Ebony
    Interior color: Light Tan
    (A50) Seats, front Deluxe Cloth reclining buckets - New seat styling and comfort improvements: sew patterns, front seat cushions and quality
    (AR9) Seats, front Deluxe Cloth reclining buckets - New seat styling and comfort improvements: sew patterns, front seat cushions and quality improvements
    (AR9) Seats, front leather-appointed power reclining buckets - New seat styling and comfort improvements: sew patterns, front seat cushions and quality improvements
    Air bags, frontal, driver and right front passenger, includes passenger sensing system
    (ASF) Air bags, side head curtain
    (US8) Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback
    (UM8) Navigation radio improvements (touch screen)
    (UE1) Onstar, available on all models
    (K34) Cruise control, available on all models
    (PCR) Sun, sound and Entertainment Package
    (PCK) OnStar Plus Package
    (PDB) Luxury Package

--------------

Chevrolet Truck TrailBlazer

Deletions

Exterior color (39U) Indigo Blue
    Exterior color (38U) Dark Green Metallic
    Exterior color (92U) Silver Green Metallic
    Interior color: Light Cashmere
    Interior color: Dark Pewter
    Interior color: Medium Pewter
    (UPC) Travel Note digital recorder, located in the overhead console
    (CE4) Headlamps, washer
    (Y92) , TNF edition
    Two-tone leather
    (QRE) Tires, P245/70R16, all-season, blackwall
    (QRF) Tires, P24/70R16, all-season, White outlined-letter

New Features

Exterior color (16U) Graystone Metallic
    Exterior color (22U) Superior Blue Metallic
    Exterior color (38U) Emerald Jewel Metallic
    Interior color combination: Ebony/Light Cashmere (27)
    Interior color combination: Dark Gray/Light Gray (28)
    Interior color combination: Ebony/Ebony (48)
    (**H) Seats, front, Premium Cloth - New seat styling and comfort improvements: sew patterns, front seat cushions and quality improvements
    (**2) Seats, front, Leather-appointed - New seat styling and comfort improvements: sew patterns, front seat cushions and quality improvements
    Air bags, frontal, driver and right front passenger, includes passenger sensing sytem
    (ASF) Air bags, side head curtain
    (US8) Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback (LS models only)
    LS, chrome-door release handles, shifter button, parking brake button, a/c vents and new IP cluster appearance
    LT, includes LS accents in addition to or replaces, enhanced shifter (applique and material) and door stitching (with leather trim console armrest stitching)
    (UE1) OnStar, available on all models
    (PCR Sun, Sound and Entertainment Package
    (PCK) OnStar Plus Package
    (PDB) Luxury Package
    (QNF) Tires, P235/75R16, all-season, blackwall
    (QNG) Tires, P235/75R16, all-season, White outlined-letter
    (K34) Cruise control, available on all models

Source: gminsidenews.com

there is other 05 model info as well.
  • Options
    ronmronm Member Posts: 6
    Newbie here. Wondering if there was any way to view this forum by message thread instead of this mixed topic chronological order?

I'm sure there's a lot of good info to be gleaned here, but the format seems to make that difficult.

Thanks,
    RonM
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We don't have an option at this time for viewing by threads.

tidester, host
  • Options
    cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    Saab is owned by GM. Wasn't quite sure what you meant by "WAKE UP GM. . ." Sounds like the 9X7 has some impressive credentials. I drove Saabs almost exclusively between '76 and '97. Was gonna buy a Sonnet (V4 Fwd and similar in appearance to a Datsun 240Z) in '76 but they stopped making them a year or two earlier and ended up with a Saab 96. Dating myself a little. Strangely, the newer they got, the worse they got. I'd like to think that quality and reliability had nothing to do with GM. Anyway, their appeal has always been a little off-beat but that was always their niche.

I am satisfied with my '02 Envoy XL SLT.

Chris
  • Options
    Hmm., they are getting rid of my indigo blue and replacing with Superior Blue Metallic. I wonder if they will actually change the color at all.
  • Options
    ronmronm Member Posts: 6
    On my '03 Envoy XL the upper rear air ducts take about 5 minutes before warm air comes out of them, even if the engine is at running temp and the front vents have been blowing hot air. I actually timed it more than once and 5 minutes is not an exageration. Is this problem peculiar only to the extended length versions, all models or just my Envoy?

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Chris,

I know GM owns Saab. I'm saying Buick should have built this version, not Saab. These vehicles have some inherent problems getting lifted, basically the front suspension/oil pan. As 90% of SUV's don't ever venture off road, a Z71 package would be for show only. I'd rather have something hat handles better on road, but that's my choice.

GAM
  • Options
    mharrymharry Member Posts: 11
    Accidentally got wax on them and realized how nice they looked. I've been fighting these things since day one, rubber treatments don't work. I went over them twice, alot of black residue came off and now they have the most beautiful satin finish. This was pure carnauba, I don't think I would do it with a cleaner wax, but then who knows.
  • Options
    elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    I have a brand new set of the EGR in-channel visors if you are interested. I ended up with 2 sets due to a gift. E-mail me at TPRaymond@msn.com if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Todd
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    I know GM owns Saab. I'm saying Buick should have built this version, not Saab.

Why? The 9-7x fits Saab much better than Buick. If they want to change Buick, that's one thing, but Buick's target market is not the same as Saab's.

My problem with the 9-7x is that a unibody vehicle is far better suited for something like that. You can lower it and tighten the suspension all you want, but it's still too heavy at 4600 lbs.
  • Options
    cwalker29cwalker29 Member Posts: 20
    they could differentiate the 360 even more by offering extreme packages that suit each uniqie model. My suggestion:

Trailblazer - offroad - Z71
    Envoy - technology - XUV & DOD, etc
    Bravada/Rainer - luxury - sound deading/quiet
    9-7x - sport/turbo
    Ascender - I dunno, I hate this truck.

thoughts?
  • Options
    ann1ann1 Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone had any problems with their in-channel vent visors, such as interfering with the window mechanism or them flying off. I want to try them to see if they help with the wind noise.
  • Options
    No problem with weatherflectors in 7 yrs, 2 different vehicles.
  • Options
    n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    My experience with the weatherrelectors is they don't reduce wind rush noise. I noticed the Rainier uses a noise reducing acoustic laminate glass in the windshield and front side windows. I don't have a problem with air leaks but depending on wind and direction, the rush noise can be the annoying.
  • Options
    I modified the door seal by making small cuts in the seal and inserting ~5/16" O.D. clear vinyl tubing in the seal to make it firmer. So far, it seems to have helped. I tried to make as few cuts as possible, but since the tubing is a snug fit, I couldn't push the tubing more than a foot or 2 before it jammed and needed to start a new piece where it stopped. A little moisture helped the process. hth
  • Options
    they could differentiate the 360 even more by offering extreme packages that suit each uniqie model

I totally agree.
  • Options
    I pushed my TB to the top end yesterday and experienced the speedo limiter. I expected it to just level out out the limit, but it felt more abrupt than that; almost like tapping the brakes a bit. It seemed to happen at about 108 MPH. It was rapidly accelerating up to that point and not close to redline (which would also have cut the engine), so I think that without the limiter, it would be good for about another 10-15 MPH.
    Handling was good as well. Better than my old '93 Blazer at 110 MPH, which was only limited by really bad aerodynamics and not a speedo or tach limiter.
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    What rear axle do you have? My Envoy tach does not have a redline.
  • Options
    Not sure where you are making your cuts. Could you be a little more specific? A pic would help also. TIA
  • Options
    malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    I now have 51,000 miles on my 2002 TB. It has the 245/70R16 tires ( BF GOODRICH OPEN TRAIL T/A). It is now time to get new tires....any advice on what to get? The factory ones are awful in the rain and snow, I need something that grips better but that is also quiet and comfy. Any advice?

Thank You
  • Options
    Check on Ebay. A lot of owners sell the new takeoffs cheap when they go to larger sizes. My Envoy has Michelin All Terrains, good tire, quiet long wear.
  • Options
    jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    I need your help, as my 2002 Envoy (bought new, so I know it is not yours) is acting exactly the same as yours. I would like to talk to you about it.

Please email me at j_winkeler at yahoo.com

If anyone knows how to get a hold of him, i would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    jwinky
  • Options
    The door seal is hollow, just snip with scissors (~1/4" cut) across the width and open it up and insert the tubing. You're cutting the edge that seals against the door. After making the cuts, they are pretty much self closing because of the way the seal is made. I thought about resealing the cuts with silcone RTV but it doesn't appear to be necessary.
  • Options
    cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    GAM I don't drive off-road either, I think I see your point.

Cwalker- The differentiation is clear to me but I think what you're saying is GM could really accentuate it more.

Chris
  • Options
    I'm saying we don't need 4 Triplets, all virtually the same.

Chevy trucks mean trucks. Should be the workhorse of the group. Give it the Z-71 option. For the real outdoorsman

GMC is more upscale trucks. More luxury options and a softer ride. For the crossover guy.

Buick should be more carlike and sporty. This should be the Saab version. Strictly for the street or light off road.

Isuzu? No offense, but why bother?

Saab? You gotta be kidding me. This is so far away from their product line that even a key in the console won't help. Who are they trying to fool?

Finally, they ALL should get the added sound insulation and laminated windows. The cost would be well worth it in perceived quality alone. It's not like this is a $15K econo car. Most are $35K and up!

GAM
  • Options
    Well, the body shop repainted my TB per the TSB but... they claimed there is aproblem with the TSB part # for the running boards so... they ordered the wrong ones and did not install them. However, they said they will pick up my TB at my workplace and install them Monday. Ok good.

On another note, does anyone know the correct part # for the front splashgaurds with running boards for regular length TB, peferably plain with no logos?
    Thanks
  • Options
    the radio actually gave me a new one . Fixed the seal around the plate for the fourth time and finally after replacing the front axle and still hearing a noise they replaced the sway bars . the invoice reads link or bushings front stabilizer shaft control arm both R&R or replace . It was replaced as they listed that further down. just wanted to thank you guys for mentioning the sway bars as i would have never mentioned it to them and still would have a noise NOW lets just see how long this "FIX" by GM lasts.
  • Options
    rattle noise in front end worse then before !! Took it for a ride this morning and the rattle is worse ! Thinking of paying off the lease early has anyone ever done that before? If i pay in full then i can just give it back right?
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Was the noise there when you brought it home from the dealer last night? Maybe you should ride with a technician when you take it back in.
    Be sure they're hearing the same noise you are. I get alot of customers who just tell me 'they'll hear it when they drive it' and leave. That's not always the case. The tech sees your truck from a different perspective than you do. Riding along for a test drive will help you make sure you're both on the same page. We had one lady with a small rattle. The tech drove it several times, not hearing a thing. He road with the customer and she pointed it out. Turned out to be her garage door opener hitting on the roof console.
  • Options
    What rear axle do you have? My Envoy tach does not have a redline

3.73. No, it does not have an actual red line on the gauge, but it is limited by the computer. The computer will not allow the engine to rev beyond a certain RPM.
  • Options
    Chevy trucks mean trucks. Should be the workhorse of the group. Give it the Z-71 option. For the real outdoorsman

- This is what I really want in an SUV.

GMC is more upscale trucks. More luxury options and a softer ride. For the crossover guy.

- Or the soccer mom. This is the demographic which has changed the whole SUV market from rugged outdoors vehicles to soft riding minivans with hoods.
  • Options
    On second thought, give me a reliable truck PLEASE. I awoke this morning to see the brakelights stuck ON on my Envoy. The truck barely started. Drove right to the dealer. Switch is bad, but none in stock anywhere nearby. They have to keep it overnight. Argh!

GAM
  • Options
    gokayakgokayak Member Posts: 5
    I am getting different advice on the accurate tire pressure for my 2003 Envoy SLE. I check it one to two times per month. Can someone give me the correct advise? Thank you very much.
  • Options
    gokayakgokayak Member Posts: 5
    Where did you purchase the visors from?
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Should be listed on the drives door. Open the door and take a look.
    You can vary from these slightly if you like.

--jay
  • Options
    elvis23elvis23 Member Posts: 12
    I bought the vent visors from weathertech.com. I think they're about $100 for a set for all 4 windows. I'm happy with them, though.
  • Options
    mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I just picked my tblazer up from the dealer and I went through hell to get this fixed. I had the same problem that you had one dealer said it was normal. I do not care if anyone on here or a dealer says it is ITS NOT!! Even chevy gave me hell. I went to another dealer and just like you said MOUNTS!!! They changed the tranny and the engine and when i got in it is much lower than before. but you will hear the vibe but not like before much improved so do not let someone tell you its normal because its not.
  • Options
    mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I want to put on some aftermarket stuff on my trailblazer. Now is it really safe to do it? Like i want to put a fipk from k&n on also a new muffler. Throaty sound you get me now who would put these on midas, meinke, how much would it cost. Let me know would i mess up my computers on my auto or what thanks.