Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    pauleulpauleul Member Posts: 116
    My dealer has found a part number for the tailgate handle (plastic pocket insert) he thinks. It is actually called a seal and now exists in the most current computer update of their parts catalog. No picture yet so he ordered it and will wait till it gets here to confirm it is correct. I should know by early to mid next week and will post the part number (if it is the correct part).
  • Options
    monaco2monaco2 Member Posts: 7
    I just had a Big fuel leak. It was at the plastic connector to the fuel filter. It lost so much fuel that it stalled the engine and left a huge puddle. Anybody else have this problem?
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Haven't had the problem, but would like to hear more info. Had your triplet been recently serviced--anyone worked underneath or changed the filter? Which triplet do you have? Did you have to be towed?
  • Options
    tpellowtpellow Member Posts: 21
    I happen to be putting a few things in the back this last week and I noticed that the Lift gate seal (on the body not the lift gate) was being scrubbed to death in the lower left corner. It's worn so bad that there are little black rubber flakes along the bottom and it's close to wearing through. I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue but thought I'd ask.

Tim
    '02 TB LTZ
  • Options
    2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Vindog45,(Posts 4914 and 4879)
    OK, I checked it more thoroughly this time. It isn't glued to the panels, but clamped onto the hinge. I haven't noticed any wind noise, though. Are you sure it's supposed to be glued? It looks like it was meant to just hang there and act as insulation.
  • Options
    vindog45vindog45 Member Posts: 35
    my passenger side one was just flopping there.....the driver side was stuck, until i poked it very gently, and that one came loose, and just flopped there.......can feel edges, kinda sticky, so i think they are supposed to be glued ..?.....must be same problem on all triplets.
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    I've noticed that the weatherstrip gasket around one of my rear windows (on the inside) is loose in the corner and has separated a little from the door and is buckling up for about 2" length. I guess I could get some weatherstrip adhesive and glue it back. But I'm more curious as to why GM's weatherstip adhesive has failed or why whoever is applying it is missing areas like that? Is there some kind of quality control issue with the glue or the gluers (is that a word..hehe) at the factory? By the way, I'm glad my only problem with the Envoy so far is this simple to fix. I hope things stay that way
  • Options
    gilbinggilbing Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer LT 4x4 . On three different trips while climbing up interstate 80 to Lake Tahoe I down shifted from overdrive into 3rd. gear.When I shifted back to overdrive the transmission didn't know what to do. It stayed in a low gear and the motor raced. I had to pull to the side of the road and shifted tranny from low to park. This worked the first two times this happened. On the third time it took about five minutes for the tranny to right its self. After it righted itself, the tranny worked fine for the remainder of the trips.
    After the second time the dealer installed a"transmission control module" After the third time dealer could not "duplicate the problem." Has anyone else had this problem?
    The vehicle will be going in next week to have have front axle seals replaced.
  • Options
    mcafee1mcafee1 Member Posts: 6
    On my TB LT I have several seal/weather problems. The Lift Gate Seal was scrubbing on both sides about 1ft. up from the bottom corners. The seal was not seated correctly at the black bumpers. A new seal was installed and the problem has not returned. I also had the seal along the top of the windshield came loose at 70 mph. Again a new seal was installed with glue. 8000 miles later no problem.
  • Options
    noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    I had a Lincoln with air bags suspension.

Key to air bag replacement is stay away from the dealer.

Parts are available, and the job is easy even if you have trouble with doing oil changes.

Usually, any 1000 dollar job at the dealer can be done for 200 at home, parts included.

http://www.bagmasterair.com/air.html

Loved my Lincoln Mark VIII.

WichitaGreg

• Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I've noticed the same thing when manually shifting out of and back into overdrive. I never pulled over or anything as I know it's not going to hurt it, but thought perhaps the computer was still deciding if that's what I wanted. Afterall, it noticed that I shifted out of overdrive and applied more power thus perhaps the program's routine needed to collect more data to decide to shift back again. Makes sense to me as once I backed off the gas completely, it did shift.

tim
    no tranny expert
  • Options
    dankirkdankirk Member Posts: 19
    Who wants one of these? 400 horsepower!!!

http://www.tyguy.net/gmc_2004tb_tt.htm
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    First electrical glitch since I bought my TB in Jan '02 (about 1600 mi so far) - last night started it up and the "Air Bag" light stayed on. Waited about a minute while thinking "should I drive it?", turned off the engine, waited a couple of seconds, re-started and the light went off. I guess I needed to reboot the computer. Anyone else seen theirs do this? Certainly do not want the bags deploying for no reason.
  • Options
    jwarthmanjwarthman Member Posts: 20
    I've read the EPA numbers, but I'd like to know what Envoy & TB owners' real-world experience is with fuel economy. I'm interested in the 4WD models.

Thanks!

-- Jim
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    First electrical glitch since I bought my TB in Jan '02 (about 1600 mi so far) - last night started it up and the "Air Bag" light stayed on. Waited about a minute while thinking "should I drive it?", turned off the engine, waited a couple of seconds, re-started and the light went off. I guess I needed to reboot the computer. Anyone else seen theirs do this? Certainly do not want the bags deploying for no reason.
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    4wd TB, 2k mileage, 50/50 driving, getting 16.5-17mpg so far, northern NYS>
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    My Bravada seems to lock up the transfer case occasionally after starting. If I make a sharp turn, the driveline binds and the back inner tire
    will spin and leave its' mark on the pavement (at very slow speed). Either the computer is engaging
    the transfer case or the positraction is activating (doubtful). It doesn't seem to do this
    after I drive a little. Anyone else experience this?

Also, the brake pedal will slowly sink at a stop.
    If you press hard, it WILL go to the floor. Anyone experience this? Well, at least I went 1000 miles before my first problem!

Just got back from a 300 mile trip on the freeway.
    The computer said I got 22 mpg @ 70 mph. I will do an actual mileage check when I fill up.

GAM2
  • Options
    bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    Just got back from a 1600 mini vacation to N. Carolina from Ohio. Bravada got 21 mpg down and 22 back including the mountains. I have a 2WD version w/positraction. Mine (wife's) is black with gold package and polished wheels. Paint job looks good, but an expert would object to the orange peel. Couldn't pass up the $2002 rabate and 5/60 warranty. By the way, only issue is paint blown off at protrusion behind rear door. Complained to GM, they are working on a fix. Owners, take a look at yours. Comments?
  • Options
    bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    Just got back from a 1600 mini vacation to N. Carolina from Ohio. Bravada got 21 mpg down and 22 back including the mountains. I have a 2WD version w/positraction. Mine (wife's) is black with gold package and polished wheels. Paint job looks good, but an expert would object to the orange peel. Couldn't pass up the $2002 rebate and 5/60 warranty. By the way, only issue is paint blown off at protrusion behind rear door. Complained to GM, they are working on a fix. Owners, take a look at yours. Comments?
  • Options
    mdeymdey Member Posts: 90
    Sorry, no 4x4 results. I have a TB LS with 3.73 locking rear differential. 7,000 miles, average mileage to date is 19.4 mpg, about 50-50 mix of city and highway. I get about 21 mpg on the freeway, about 18 mpg in town.

I was working in the yard near the car this afternoon. The sun was beating down on the back of the car and I could actually hear the license plate bracket popping against the tailgate as it expanded. I may try loosening the bracket as others have proscribed. I will definitely go for the dealer gasket fix, but I'll wait a while on that.

No other problems or concerns to date.
  • Options
    biggie4852biggie4852 Member Posts: 34
    TB LS 3.73 Rear end. Most of my driving is on So/Cal freeways rush hour crawl and go traffic. But not bad average 18 mpg but the key to getting this has been total fill-up at half tank interval.

One complaint is the paint job on this car is not that great to me. Somehow my driver side door has a bad scratch down to the sheet metal on the leading edge . The paint job should not be this thin. The cause of the scratch was opening the door and it rub against my garage wall.
  • Options
    mraumrau Member Posts: 50
    Just finished 350 mile trip. 80% highway in Northern Michigan. 70 mph avg. DIC (computer) say 19.2 mpg. Also calculated by hand and it was 19 mpg. Close enough for me.
    Envoy SLT 4x4 w/ 4.10 rear end. Nice smooth ride.

Mike
  • Options
    edl55347edl55347 Member Posts: 46
    I have also had this happen on a couple of occasions over the winter months. It would go off after restarting the TB. I even called OnStar to see if they could find anything. They could not find anything, but did indicate to take to the dealer asap. I did not take it in since the light would go off after restarting. So, I figured it be a waste of time since the dealer would not be able to duplicate it to fix.
  • Options
    njtblzrnjtblzr Member Posts: 12
    I also had this problem twice over the winter. The second time I called OnStar while the light was on. They reported a bad VIM (interface part of OnStar and found a trouble code of U1088). I took the car and all the info to the dealer and they wrote it up as Can Not Duplicate. That was about 3 months ago and it has not happened since.
  • Options
    If you are talking about the lower rear portion of the rear door getting chipped and pitted from debris off the rear tires, I observed this in 3 weeks use on sanded roads. I found a product called RHINO-GUARD by 3m, clear 3.5mm film that can be cut to fit and adheres to the door area to protect against this condition.
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    dshepherd3: What parts chain store did you get the RHINO-GUARD at? I'd like to put a strip where the rear wiper sits on the tailgate too...
  • Options
    cprau05cprau05 Member Posts: 3
    I have 7400 miles on my 2002 TB and yesterday for the fourth time the check engine light and the engine low power light came on. It has been in the shop three times for this same thing with different parts replaced. You have to push the pedal just about to the floor to get the TB to move. Not sure what GM will do for me. Has anyone had this problem. Not a safe SUV to drive when this happens.
  • Options
    dse1dse1 Member Posts: 22
    Might have had that problem (although the low power light never came on). Does the engine still rev up when you press on the gas, rpms go up, but truck doesn't really move? also, does yours work normally when you have it up to 3rd gear or 4th? I 'lost' first and second gear with ~300 miles on the truck, meaning in drive, it would try to start(from a stop) in third gear... putting the trans in 1st gear manually solved the problem temporarily, but after a weekend trip, this no longer worked... had to have the valve body in the transmission replaced because the solenoids activate the gear shifts were locking up. worked fine ever since... worth trying first gear manually if this sounds similar to your problem.
  • Options
    Available at a professional auto body supply store. Some what expensive at 11$ for 2 8x10 sheets, follow the instructions very carefully.
  • Options
    missjomissjo Member Posts: 2
    At 3000 miles car shut down twice. Took it in, service said they couldn't test it because it was not doing it at the time. At about 7000 miles, shut down while idling, started it back up, all brake lights on, no gauges working, engine racing at high rpms. Took it back in, service had it for a week. Service manager said he put in a new computer, even though corp. said that wasn't the problem, he didn't know what else to do. At 12000
    miles, shut down completely on the interstate going 70 mph, thank God we were in the right-hand lane and was able to get off the road. Again was able to start it, brake lights on, no gauges working. Took it back to service, called customer service and received a case number. They came back and said they weren't going to buy back the car they were going to fix it. After 2 weeks they have put in a new computer and that is the "fix" they have for it. They didn't think it would work the first time and it didn't. Service manager has made calls for us to corp. We have made calls to Executive office. They act like we are crazy for thinking this is an unsafe vehicle. Don't know what else to do.
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    When you say "replace the computer" do you mean the ECM? It sounds like one of the modules is loosing memory... It's just a question of which one. That's the first time I've heard of a computer malfunction of that severity. Keep us posted if they come up with a fix for it!
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    cmack4, missjo:CMACK, You've been on this board for a while now, there have been several posts of this same type, engines dying out while running. It sounds like a safety issue to me. Perhaps the host of this forum can compile the posts concerning this problem and present them to missjo, for presentation to G.M. and the NTSB. I am beginning to get the feeling G.M. is dismissing all claims as no trouble found, and is willing to deal with the lawyers if and when the time comes. That's not very comforting. Paint pealing and wandering mirrors won't get anyone killed, engines stalling on the hi way at 70mph will. WAKE UP G.M.!! PERHAPS THESE THINGS AREN'T "BUILT LIKE A ROCK" AFTER ALL.

FRANK
  • Options
    Most states have some kind of new car "lemon Law" protection. Check with your local BBB, in NYS, 3 unsuccessful repairs of performance or safety related problems and the problem still exists during the 1st 24 months and 18k, qualifies you for a buy back arbitration.
  • Options
    Weren't the earlier posts all dealing with a mechanical failure in the engine though (ie the piston/sleeve issue)?
  • Options
    When the low power light comes on the engine will not rev up, it is like it is running on two pistons. I am taking it in Tuesday and also calling the customer service to start a case history. They need to take this SUV off the road.
  • Options
    The behavior of the engine sounds normal... it's called "limp home" mode. Something is triggering the engine to go into that mode though.
  • Options
    It sounds like you got a lemon. If what you say is true, (4th time same problem), there shouldn't be any issues getting a replacement. As long as everything has been well documented. You're in the extreme minority, so I don't believe you'll have any luck having them pulled off the road. My Envoy's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I hope it all works out for you.
  • Options
    This is the fourth time in five weeks this has done this. The dealer each time has changed a different part. They have keep it for 9 days already and it still does the same thing. The Limp home mode for 130 miles was slow going.
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    CMACK4: I remember several posts dealing with the exact problem of the engine dying while on the hi way going hi way speed. This is certainly a safety issue. My earliest post was for an engine failure in which the cylinder sleeve came loose and caused the reduced power and service engine soon indicators to come on. I was lucky, the traffic was very heavy and slow and it the engine stopped running when I exited the hi way. I got no further than the top of the off ramp, and had to be towed in. This was with 2166 miles. I have been very forgiving of G.M. with little problems such as mirrors and paint chips, by my patience is running out when I read posts in which G.M. denies a serious problem exists. To date, 36 years of driving, I have never had a car that flamed out when going hi way speed. Everyone cannot be wrong. If these cars have a problem, G.M. must face it now.
  • Options
    tjcishere1tjcishere1 Member Posts: 42
    Well just ordered a 2002 Envoy XL with the running boards and a 1sk pkg. got the price down to $37,000 they say 8 weeks for delivery. Now the dealer gave me a price of $4,770 for 7yrs 100,000 miles 0 deductible. I didn't take it,I just had to laugh it is the major guard protection plan from G. . I have been looking at a site called Warrantybynet.com looks to me they can give me the same plan for 7yrs 100,000 0 deductible for $1,189. has any one used this or ran into this problem with the dealer??
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hmm.. that sounds god awful expensive if you ask me. I purchased the 5 year/75,000 mile with ZERO deductible for under $1,200 and it was the original GMPP, not a third party. Also, purchased the same protection on my 02 Grand AM GT1 and it was only $750 for the exact same coverage as my Envoy?? I prefer to go for the miles as opposed to the years because unless you drive around the block once a day, you will never make it to the 5 years IMO, that's why I try to go for the miles instead. But with the extreme price that you were quoted, I would definitely have to question that myself.. Good luck!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    this past saturday got the "service engine soon" light for a few hours. car ran fine, light eventually went away. this morning, while driving about 40mph on a local road, car shut down completely. was able to drift to side of the road. service brake system message came on the display. tried to restart, nothing, no cranking. waited ten minutes, car
    restarted, abs light stayed on, was able to drive under one mile to dealer with car stuck in first gear and engine revving like an sob. (all of the above with approx 690 miles on the car). dealer
    reprogrammed tcm and pcm as per 01-0604-052.(hope this nbr helps someone else who is having problems). also, my experience with the dealership's service folks has always been great. car seems fine now, but only time will tell. thank goodness this did not happen on the hwy! pretty scary event. keeping my fingers crossed that this will not reoccur.
  • Options
    crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    This only happened once to me so far, and I pray it never happens again. Reading some of the other posts on this board re similar problems with TB's, Bravadas, etc. and seeing the frustration and concern makes me feel even better that I decided to finance thru GMAC. I believe that you should always finance at least part of a new car purchase thru the manufacturer. Doing so gives you at least some leverage. If this were to become a recurrent problem I would not hesitate to stop paying for the car until it was fixed to my satisfaction. I realize this does not negate the safety issue and does not help anyone who needs a reliable car for work, etc, but it is something, at least. Incidentally, my service mgr told me that I would have a loaner if the car were not repaired same day.
  • Options
    archdukerizzoarchdukerizzo Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone had this problem?
    When I make turns, like when I'm trying to park and the wheel turns more than an certain amount, my Bravada starts to vibrate and seems to lose power and stop. At this point, when I give it gas, I have to give it a LOT of gas to get it to move! This happens in forward and reverse.
    I'm going away this week, so I can't have a dealer look at it untill I get back.
  • Options
    archdukerizzoarchdukerizzo Member Posts: 35
    Dealer Warranties are negotiable. It sounds like they're trying to make a huge profit off of you. Granted, the GM Majorguard may be more expensive than a 3rd party warranty, but I tend to think $4700 is a wee bit much.

Check out the warranty section on http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
  • Options
    drobin59drobin59 Member Posts: 26
    Had my TB LTZ in yet again for the driver's mirror that doesn't keep memory. It comes partially back to the stored position. Used the special order part number referred to on earlier posts. They ordered a new mirror but didn't install it as they has to talk with GM Tech Support regarding the fix. Any suggestions as to what I do next?

Regarding the engine shut-down issue, I too had the service engine soon light come on. I hit the On-Star button and had them run a diagnostic which came up clean. Did those of you that had the problem call On-Star when the light came on? My light has been coming on and off for the past few days and I hope I'm not a candidate for a shut-down.

Good Luck
  • Options
    tjcishere1tjcishere1 Member Posts: 42
    im sure there are alot of new TBs or Envoy owners please let me know what type of warrany you ended up getting if any i just felt the major guard was very high at $4770.00 for 7 100,000 miles. im looking at Warrantybynet.com for prices
  • Options
    I got 5 years/60,000 miles (GM Major Guard) for $620. I talked them down from their original quote of $980. I was told that their cost was around $460, but who really knows???
  • Options
    You should be able to buy GMPP 5/75 for no more than 1500, I would say that is probably negotiable. This coverage is universally accepted at all GM dealers the independent warrantys might be a hassle to use.
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    archdukerizzo; see my posting (#4942). I believe
    you are experiencing the same problem I am. I'm guessing the Smart-trak (Dumb-trak?) is locking the transfer case when it doesn't have to. This causes binding in the driveline because the wheels want to turn at differnt speeds but Smart-trak won't let them. Make a sharp 180 degree turn next time this happens and see if you leave a skid mark where the rear wheels traveled. Mine only does this after I start it up (maybe there is a time delay?) and only ocassionally. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. My guess is it is a computer programming problem, not a transfer case problem. Anyone else venture a guess?

GAM2