Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    pauleulpauleul Member Posts: 116
    Mike, it is kinda sad isn't it. I don't think back-charge will work since according to GM, there isn't anything to fix!

I must admit, I think every vehicle I've ever purchased has had something wrong with it that I fixed myself rather than go through all the time and hassle of dealer fixes. They usually are minor issues. My other car is an '01 Acura TL which needed the driver door switch fixed. It was a simple matter of taking it off, fishing for the wire inside and pressing it on hard enough to hit the lock point on the catch. 10 minutes vs ???? at the dealer.

Paul
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    It's been my experience with auto dealers in the past, that when they cannot find a reason for a problem they will often blame any or all non dealer installed devices for the problem. Alarm systems causing cars to die out etc. In addition to this reason, I base my comments about adding hi power RF devices to the triplets on 34 years experience in the RF field. Remember the signs near construction blasting sites instructing you to turn off any transmitters for fear of causing an explosion. Any short piece of wire in a circuit can act as an antenna. Any signals picked up by this wire will be induced into the circuit. My advice would still be to hold off on installing RF transmitters in the triplets until G.M. finds the reason for the engine shutdowns.

Frank
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Frank,
    That is true of all dealers. Any warranty claim is either: "Could not duplicate" or "user has installed non-compliant yadda yadda yadda" I learned to install only items that could be removed with little or no trace in an hour or 2, so far so good though.

-mike
  • Options
    blefflerbleffler Member Posts: 22
    I took my Bravada in a few weeks ago to catch up on some of the minor items.

I've had the battery die three times with nothing left on. Naturally, the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem.

The dealer insisted there wasn't a fix for the mirrors, until I told them the dealer across town had a fix and was willing to schedule an appointment for me. I was finally told there was a fix, but there was a high probability that they would break the mirrors when implemented. They wanted to get extra mirror glass in stock before attempting the fix.

Last but not least, was a defective front passenger seat belt. They ordered the part. I took the vehicle in on Tuesday. I still don't have my vehicle back. They claim that there is a major problem with the replacement parts. They've tried multiple replacements with no results.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a problem with GM or the dealer. I'm leaning toward the dealer at the moment. I think that once I get it back, it will be the last time they'll see it.
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    I took my Bravada in for the mirror fix last week. Last time (2 months ago) they said there was no problem found. This time it was great they replaced the mirrors. With the new updated parts and they have never have worked better. They stay right where you set them. For those of you still looking for the parts numbers they are 15097470 and 15097471. I don?t know how hard it was but there was only 0.80 hours labor charge for R&R of both mirrors.

I also had the right front rail cover of the roof rack warped. Look like a bad molding of that part. The dealer ordered new right rail (15067794) and a front cover (15005730) last month. The new rail and cover fit perfectly.

I don?t know if anybody else has had this problem, but the top windshield molding was loose on my Bravada. Every once and awhile it would come loose on the freeway and start to beat on the roof of the truck. Thought some one was throwing rocks at first J it was that loud. They resealed it down but it?s still a little wavy in some places. Might have them replace it the next time I?m back there. I hope it will be awhile for that (nock on fake wood)

Allen
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    dshepherd3: What type of posi fluid did they put in the diff to help the problem? Was it standard GM posi fluid? What is the real problem and the correct fix? Replacing the Locking diff completely?

As far as dyno results go, I seem to remember there is a 25-30% reduction in horsepower at the rear wheels compared to flywheel h.p. This account the drag and friction in the driveline. A 25% reduction in 270 h.p. results in approximately 200 h.p., so 193 h.p. is not out of line in my mind, especially on a new engine on a hot day.

GAM2
  • Options
    Can someone tell me if their brakes go to the floor if they step on them hard while stopped?
    The brakes seem to work fine, but they will go to the floor if I press hard while I'm stopped. No other vehicle I've owned did this. Is this common?

GAM2
  • Options
    medolarkmedolark Member Posts: 93
    My brakes don't go to the floor - never have - if they did I'd find something to hold the pedal there, call the dealer and tell him to send a tow vehicle to come and get it.

For awhile I thought I had more pedal travel than should be but after setting the parking brake a few times that condition has cleared up. Not sure whether parking brake action has anything to do with it, it just seems like that is all that could have had any effect.
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from. I have had my Comm'l (used to be 1st class) FCC license since '70 as well as being a ham. That's why I got on here and asked first before I did it. Don't want a catastrophe on my hands caused by RF getting into something! So far have had several emails of successful installs. Found pretty good insight into the subject at " service.gm.com/techlineinfo/radio.html#Figure1 " which shows the proper installation of a transceiver. And has a disclaimer too. Also if you consider the ambient RF all around from cell phones, truckers packing 250+ watt linears on 11 meter CB emitting all kinds of spurious junk, drive thru near-microwave RF fields strong enough to activate the transponders used for toll tags, etc etc I am "reasonably" sure that GM and Delphi Electronics take all that into account. I have noticed several hard-wired grounds between the chassis and body; even the hood to firewall has a ground wire. Anyway I did a temporary install i.e., nothing permanent yet, and no problems so far. Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    20 to 25% lost to the drive train??? Maybe when an engine is idling with an automatic tranny, but nowadays, once one is above 2500 to 3000 rpm, drive train losses are usually around 10 to 15%, last time I heard anyway.
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    Pumping losses in the convertor before lock up account for 10-15% alone, the rest can be accounted for by different atmospheric condtions during comparative tests, even altitude plays a large part if the tests are uncorrected. Remember the 270 hp rating may be optimistic to begin with. The diff additive is a 4 oz. bottle usually avaivalable at a GM dealer, keep in mind this will reduce clutch chattering in any limited slip diff, which the Eaton is, once locked up, delayed disegagement has been an anomoly of this unit for years, my 92 did the same thing. I used to have to back up 2 or 3 ft to unlock it, especially when hot.
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Scott any idea what RPM the Dyno numbers were taken at? Keep in mind as well that HP is a direct result of Torque x RPM's. The numbers don't sound totally off base, due to it being a new engine, coupled with the other factors and drivetrain loss.
  • Options
    tblazed: glad to hear that you checked out the possibilities before you installed the radio. I have found several unterminated connectors on my TB. They are probably for options I don't have. Any of these wire "antennas" could get a signal into the system control computer.
    Do you still carry the license? I got mine in '75 and am now ready to retire it and myself at the same time.
    Just exactly what was the DISCLAIMER? Problems like these the triplets are having won't be solved for some time if ever. I just like being more cautious.

Frank
  • Options
    thfrazerthfrazer Member Posts: 20
    Folks,

I am considering buying an Envoy XL or Bravada and have a few questions:

Has anyone heard of GMC offering Captain's chairs for the second row for the Envoy XL?

How many MPG has anyone been getting with XL?

Does the Bravada have a 3rd row seat?

If so, can you get Captain's chairs for the second row?

Thanks,

Tom

PS. Please cc any response to thfrazer@earthlink.net.
  • Options
    I doubt it, since the ECU and a bunch of electrical connections are mounted below the 2nd row of seats. If you want 4 captains chairs why not look into a full-sized custom van or Safari van with AWD and 4 captains chairs?

-mike
  • Options
    power in numbers... get to cracking! Hit the link on the left hand bar and take the survey!
  • Options
    Why would you want to lose a seat in the second row and throw in an uncomfortable third row? I'll never understand this whole third row phenomenon... If you want a mass people mover, buy a minivan! More room is great, but at the expense of your passengers?
  • Options
    And I quote in part " Certain radio telephones or land mobile radios or the way in which they are installed may adversely affect vehicle operations such as the performance of the engine and driver information, entertainment and electrical charging systems. Expenses incurred to protect the vehicle systems from any adverse effect of any such installation are not the responsibility of General Motors Corporation." In other words, if I screw something up it's MY fault, not GM's. They can't say they didn't warn me.

So far no problem, even at 50 and 35 watts VHF and UHF, and connected to the power outlet jack on the back of the console (which I know is a no-no but I am in the testing phase, nothing permanent no holes etc yet)

Yes still have both licenses. The old 1st class now General Radio-Telephone license as I recall became permanent in '86 or so, therefore no more renewals. Was every 5 years when I first got licensed. Amateur radio licenses still get renewed every 10 years. I maintain 2 repeaters in D-FW for one of the local ham clubs. Great hobby with people from every walk of life imaginable involved.

Dittos on the retirement- I am ready too!

Thanks to all who added input to my original question!!

Ed
  • Options
    dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    I'm getting an Avalanche, but tested out the Trailblazer EXT. I thought the third row is extremely comfortable even for adults. I wish GM had the Envoy XL before we bought our minivan. I really like the sporty look of the Envoy and Trailblazer, but the kids do like the van, so I'm stuck.

There are no captain's chairs available and the second and third row are not removable. The Tahoe has a removable third row option, but it really is not as comfortable for adults as the EXT or XL. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    tblazed:
    Ed, in reading the disclaimer, it sounds like G.M. is saying that they are not responsible for ANY malfunctions resulting from ANY interference, whether the interference comes from an onboard radio or radio outside of the vehicle. "Certain radio telephones or or land mobile radios or the way in which they are installed....". They make no mention of radios installed in G.M. vehicles. They state they are not responsible for expenses you will have to pay to shield your car from interference from any source. The responsibility is on the person or device causing the interference. Sounds like they designed a very wide band receiver with poor selectivity. Perhaps there is a job opportunity for someone with radio experience.

Frank
  • Options
    Had the tailgate/license plate pocked gasket (seal) installed this AM. It took about 30 minutes and looks fine.

Again, for any who missed the part number, it is

P/N 15170981

And of course doesn't really exist according to GM. :>)

Paul
  • Options
    anjin_navanjin_nav Member Posts: 18
    An Avalanche?! Who in their right mind would want a vehicle that can't make up its mind about whether it's a truck or an SUV? :) Seriously, though, I hope you like it. Me, I think I'll stick with the smoother ride and more comfortable interior of the Envoy XL--even though sticker isn't that much lower.

I've seen a couple in this area, and it's just what I've been waiting for: big enough to seat seven, but not so big to need a football field in which to park; comfortable and luxurious without the "import" price tag. The closest I'll get to an Avalanche is the picture on my DVD player!
  • Options
    I checked one out, it is IMHO useless!

oAnything in the bed gets the whole interior dirty.
    oThe bed is very very narrow, can't fit stuff in there.
    oA 4-door crew-cab with shortbed would be far more useful than it.

-mike
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    pauleul, thanks for the info. Who installed your gasket, the service dept. or the bodyshop? Did they let you watch? Does the new gasket go around the entire periphery of the plastic or is there a gap at the bottom? Thanks.
  • Options
    missjomissjo Member Posts: 2
    The "computer" the service department has replaced twice now is the P.C.M. We have the Bravada back now. Holding our breath.
  • Options
    Car and Driver tested several cars and trucks on a dyno in a premium/regular gas test. Average loss at the rear wheels was 25%. A 260 h.p. Mustang had 191 h.p. on the dyno. I would expect a slightly greater loss for a vehicle with 4WD.

GAM2
  • Options
    Technically speaking, the only accurate dyno numbers come from the type that use a separate stand and require you to pull the engine from the vehicle. They measure HP at the crankshaft... It doesn't get much more accurate than that.
  • Options
    paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone removed the cross bars on the roof rack on their triplet? Is there any change in wind noise?

Is there any purpose to the bars?

Thanks

Paul P
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Don't put it down until you own one! We bought one 3 weeks ago, and are loving it after coming from a POS Chrysler 300M. We got a 2wd with the Z66 Premium On-Road, and it has the silkiest, smoothest, and queitest vehicle I've been in. Maybe it's not as soggy and floaty as one of the Triplets, but that's good. Just like Edmunds noted in their recent compar test with a new TB, it's a very nice vehicle and "rides beautifully" but that is because of very soft and squishy tuning. Too loose for me, especially the steering. They're not bad driving vehicles, just too soft.

We bought the Av because it looked great (got it in Onyx Black too!), is huge and can haul just about anything, is built well, and is very refined. It's much better than the rattly, noisy, shaky, no-power 300M.

The local dealer has had the same fully-optioned white TB EXT for a week now with "1st EXT!" written on the window. They also have many other normal TB's that haven't sold yet either. I don't think they're dealing much on the EXT yet. I must say, it does look a lot better in person than I thought it would.
  • Options
    noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    There is a very good reason for a third row seat and or captains chairs in a smaller vehicle than a suburban or taho....

Two kids.

Ever travel cross country with two kids sitting in the back seat? I have, and it ain't pretty. When we did it the first time with a Mazda MPV, one in back row, one in the middle row, with their own space for stuff, it was heaven.

No more "He touched my whatever" or Jimmy won't move over."

It's not about carrying 7 pass or even 6. It's sure nice for a family of four to have that much room.

But you will need a roof top carier for the suitcases.

Why would you want to lose a seat in the second row and throw in an uncomfortable third row? I'll never understand this whole third row phenomenon... If you want a mass people mover, buy a minivan! More room is great, but at the expense of your passengers?
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Removed mine a few weeks back. I got the idea from another board member and to me it was a great idea on how to reduce wind noise! 200% better IMO. Never used the rack anyway. Snaps right back on if ever need to anyway.

Did it right after a long 5hr drive.

The ride back was much quieter.

Check my pics and details out here:
    http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/roof-rack-detail-notes.html
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Well.. first I have to agree with beach15.. don't knock the Avalanche until you try it.. My father has been searching for the past 3 months trying to figure out which vehicle suits him best since his 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited lease is expiring at the end of this month.. well, we looked at the Avalanche several times and even had the privilege of keeping a fully loaded Onyx Black one overnight and I must admit, it had a verrrryy smooth and controlled ride even considering that it is a fairly large size and weight.. I was rather pleased. The only reason why he didn't pursue the Avalanche was due to the "lack of bells and whistles" that's currently available in the triplets and Jeeps, etc. and most of all the stereo reeaally sucked (the Jeep has the Infinity system that he is accustomed to) and there was no other audio option available. Next, he looked at the Cadillac Escalade EXT pickup and immediately fell in love with it, but after two weeks of convincing him that $51,000 for a dressed up Avalanche was truly not a good move in my eyes, he eventually sided with me and kicked the pickup idea to the curb. Honestly, I can remember driving the Avalanche and taking a "veer to the right" type of corner much more at ease than when I drive my Envoy.... most of this is due to the firmer level suspension and the quick ratio steering. With that being said, hats off to you and your Avalance.. it was indeed a nice vehicle!

Second.. third row seats.. My father finally made up his mind today and picked up a 02 GMC Denali in Garnet Red with Stone Gray leather to replace his Jeep Grand Cherokee.. He got a really good deal considering that he gets the GMS discount and took advantage of the 3.9%@ 60 mo's incentive. I must say.. I love my Envoy but I REALLY LOVE the Denali... I was thoroughly impressed with the overall quality of this vehicle! It's really nice, but all of this build quality does not come cheap ($48,819 fully loaded). The 320hp V-8 sounds realllly nice.. from my understanding, it's a de-tuned corvette engine! The 11 speaker Bose system sounds wonderful and the extra "electronic gizmos" are nice as well. I cannot even begin to explain the overall ride, handling and smoothness of the vehicle. It rounds the corners with ease and soaks up the bumps rather nicely with the auto-ride suspension and most important, it doesn't handle or feel like a larger vehicle at all!

In our own "family" opinion, we definitely came to the conclusion that the third row seats in the Denali are made strictly for the kiddies. As a matter of fact, I "tried" to sit back there today and it's not the most comfortable place to be for any trips longer than 5 minutes if you are more than likely 5'5" or taller. On the other hand, the dealership had a Denali XL on the showroom floor that came equipped with captains chairs and "elevated" third row seating areas for adults, does anyone know if the third row seats in the XL and EXT are elevated as well? Thfrazer may want to consider looking at a regular Yukon XL or Denali XL to get the second row captains?? Also, as a side note.. with the new Denali parked in the garage next to my Envoy, I noticed they are very comparable in terms of length.. but hands down, the Denali stands taller and a tad bit wider than the Envoy, but it was nice to see that the Denali wasn't that much longer in length as compared to my Envoy. I am quite sure that the new XL and EXT's are probably just about the same size in length as compared the the Denali.

Lastly.. I stopped by my local dealer yesterday and ordered the gasket and TODAY I received a call stating that the part was already shipped and at the dealership for me to pick up?? I was quite surprised to hear that, I am planning to pick up the seal on Monday and attempt installation on my own. Has anyone else ordered/received their parts so promptly? I guess this is not a "national backorder" item as of yet. Wish me luck and I will let you all know how everything irons out. In the mean time, I think that I am going to try to "borrow" the Denali from my dad tonite so I can have a SUPERSIZED luxury night on the town! Hopefully I will be able to give him the keys back tonite without shedding a few tears! Ha, ha..

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    I can say from experience that you CAN definately
    purchase the GMPP extended warranty any time before
    your 3/36 expires. I did so on a 97 at 35,496 miles.
    Furthermore, the extended warranty is definately
    marked up.

Walter
  • Options
    To answer your questions,

The body shop but that was only because the whole thing started out as a chipped paint problem. Future fixes will be done by the service department since there really isn't any body work. At least that's what my dealership said.

I watched part of it but had already taken it all apart myself last week checking everything out so I went off and BS'd with the body shop manager.

The gasket only covers a portion of the bottom - about 6 inches or so on both sides. If you look at your tailgate you'll see why. The contour of the tailgate kinda forces the issue. The factory is doing it the same way. Looks fine to me, however on lighter colors, it may not look as good. I have the Maroon Envoy - what color do you have?
  • Options
    Assuming that the engine and system control computers, radio controller for the keyless entry, OnStar system, etc., all fall under the usual Part 15 FCC regulations, the following likely applies:

"THIS DEVICE COMPLIES WITH PART 15 OF THE FCC RULES. OPERATION IS SUBJECT
    TO THE FOLLOWING TWO CONDITIONS: (1) THIS DEVICE MAY NOT CAUSE HARMFUL INTERFERENCE, AND (2) THIS DEVICE MUST ACCEPT ANY INTERFERENCE RECEIVED, INCLUDING INTERFERENCE THAT MAY CAUSE UNDESIRED OPERATION."

The part about "MUST accept interference" is interesting. That seems to imply to me that if there is a problem that causes misoperation resulting in a failure the burden to fix it is on the manufacturer of the equipment being interfered with. I suppose GM can say what they want as a disclaimer but they have to make things as RF-proof as possible and make an effort to do something about it if there is a legimitate problem. I noticed in the owners manual while looking for the maximum current rating on the console ACC outlet (has a 20A fuse btw) pg 2-62 "Accessory Power Outlets" they say you can plug in a CB radio as an example. Then in the next column they have the disclaimer about possible damage that might be caused by doing what they just said you can do! Hopefully nothing will ever fail and I won't have to deal with weird problems. Only computer glitch so far was with the airbag light staying on one time, have seen several replys about others doing the same thing, and that was before any transmitter was ever in my TrailBlazer. All OK so far.
  • Options
    tblazed:
    Good work Ed. Thanks for the research. I guess one good thing about this forum, among others, is the way information is shared among interested readers.
    One LAST observation on this matter, The Triplets are not like your 67 Chevy anymore. Consider the possible consequences when modifying or adding electronics to them.

Frank
  • Options
    Anyone contemplating an extended warranty on the triplets should do it! Here are my problems after 1500 miles (Build date 11/01):
    1) Rear diff locking up on sharp turns.
    2) Brakes go to the floor at idle
    3) Squeeky pulley or belt at idle
    4) Transmission shift problems
    5) Fan clutch problems
    6) Chipping paint on tailgate
    7) Chipping paint on lower rear doors
    8) Wandering mirrors
    9) Wind noise between doors (roof racks removed)
    10)Loose molding around windshield
    11)Loose seals in front fenders
    12)Creaking drivers seat

Maybe my expectations are too high for a $36000
    vehicle. I like the truck but this scares the
    #$%^&* out of me. If GM had a return policy it would be gone. I guess if you get a good one, you're lucky. If you don't........

GAM2
  • Options
    anjin_navanjin_nav Member Posts: 18
    Hey, to those Avalanche owners lurking in this forum, please don't get me wrong: I think the Av is a great truck. I meant no disrespect, only that it's not for me. I've driven one and I drove a Cadillac EXT as well. It's a comfortable truck--especially the Caddy--that has plenty of power and lots of configuration options. It's just not for me. Given all that room, it still only seats five.

I have two kids, and I agree with noller2g about having a third seat. I took a pretty good look at the Envoy XL, and was VERY impressed. The ride is side and cushy, but then that is what makes it comfortable on long road trips. I sat in the third row (I'm 5'11") and had plenty of room--more, in fact than I had in the third row of the Tahoe with the third seat. The seats are elevated a bit, so added to the extra legroom, it feels even bigger. I would think these seats would be ideal for someone trying to watch the optional DVD player, though perhaps not as good as the second seat.

I've got to add to noller2g's reason for a third row, though, even with only two kids--grandparents! With my Tahoe, we still must take two cars to go out to eat when they visit--forget a road trip in one with more than five. With the Envoy XL (OK, and the TrailBlazer EXT--I just like the styling of the Envoy more), I can put the kids in the back and the grandparents in the middle and go. Can't do that in the Av--unless I put my mother-in-law in the truck bed--an idea that may have a little merit, now that I think about it. :)
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yeah, that's the only thing with the design. We first had an 89' Chevy Corsica that we outgrew, then bought a new 97' Plymouth Grand Voyager and loved the space we had for all our stuff, and the fact that some could sit in the middle and others in the rear, still with room for cargo. In that aspect, a vehicle w/ 3 rows of seats is good for us. But then, my mother just had to have the 300M that was so "pretty" and we did love it for the first few months. But then we started having problems, had bad times with the dealer, were rear ended pretty bad (took 2 months & $12k to fix!), and then finally relized that we wanted something bigger and were tired of the crap that car put us through.

So, at first, for quite a while she wanted a Yukon or Tahoe w/ a 3rd seat. Then she actually looked at them more and thought we really wouldn't need the seat since it's almost always just her or the 4 of us in the car at once. We probably would have got a Yukon, but they were just too expensive. After going to the Baltimore auto show back in February, we all looked at the Av's they had and started to like them more and more, along with the Trailblazer & Envoy. Actually, before we bought the Av, she sent me on an internet mission to find her a good deal on either an Avalanche or a TB.

With the availability of pretty big discounts on the Av and the fact of the somewhat common quality bugs with the triplets. Both are first year models, but the Av has had very few problems in its year on the market while the triplets have been a bit iffy.

So, we ended up getting a black 2wd Avalanche that stickered for $33,193 minus a $7,002 discount, for a final price of $26,191. We probably could have gotten a nicely equipped TB LT or Envoy SLE for the same price, but liked the Av's tougher build quality, loved the looks, and were hooked on its versatility. So far, we don't miss a 3rd seat yet at all, and are enjoying having quite roomy seating for 5 people.

Enough of that, back to the triplets!!
  • Options
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, the gasket (seal) ships from Flint MI. iexplore2000, since you live in MI, that is why you got the part next day. On the west coast, it takes about 4 days.

Are you actually paying for the seal? Dealer cost is $5.10 as I've been told. I believe list was $7.65. You should be getting it free and probably an allowance of .2 hours for install. Have you hit your dealer up for some kind of credit? They could still process it as a warranty claim as long as you sign off on it.

For your info, there are marks on the bottom inside of the plastic pocket that work perfectly for centering the seal and getting it on perfect your first try. There is an adhesive in the deepest part of the seal that helps it stick to the plastic pocket. Let us know how you do on your install.

Paul
  • Options
    john9907john9907 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone,

I have an 02 bravada with the bose sound system. While the system is good it is not great. I used to compete in car audio shows and have about 15 grand worth of car audio and video equipment in my garage. The stock system in the bravada provides too much midbase and the system really needs a nice small sub for low end fill. I went to my local audio store who has done all of my custom work in the past and they are more than willing to put al my equipment back into my new bravada. However on this car I did not want to go that crazy. Just change the speakers, add a sub, replace the head unit with my clarion that has a six inch screen and my dvd player, and put in one of my amps for the highs because the stock amps will not provide enough power for my high quality MB Quart speakers. I know this sounds like a lot of work to some, but this would be one of my smaller systems.
    I was shocked to find out that I can not remove the stock radio. If I remove it the airbags and DIC would not work. Apparently GM in all of its wisdom decided to install data cables through the back of the radio and the electronic goodies in the car will not work if they are not connected to the stock radio. We did come up with a solution for it though. You can purchase a cable that will extend all of those harneses to the rear of the car and place the radio in the small compartment on rear floor.

Audio junkies beware.

I will let everyone know how it turns out.
  • Options
    storm34storm34 Member Posts: 6
    I test drove the 2002 Envoy 4WD, SLT. The dealer made a first offer of $500 over invoice. Is this commensurate with what you new owners have paid?
  • Options
    shapiro3shapiro3 Member Posts: 11
    Okay, I was just bragging to a friend that I have 3800 miles on my Envoy and so far have had no problems...so what do I get? Of course, my first problem.

I drove my Envoy to lunch and the A/C worked fine and blew ice cold, and this was in 95 degree Florida heat. Then I went back to work and parked it for about 3-4 hours. Got back in the truck and the whole way home (about a 20 min drive) the A/C was blowing pure HOT air. I tried turning it off for a minute or two and I also tried leaving the system on and turning just the A/C compressor off for a minute and turing it back on. Still nothing but hot air. I also happened to notice a wierd smell inside the car when I got in.

Then I got home fuming (both literally and figuratively since it was 97 degrees according to the display) and let it sit in the garage for about 15-20 minutes. I went back out and started it up and after about a minute the A/C started blowing cold air. I let it sit about 30 minutes and tried again and it blows cold (but I don't think it's as cold as usual) but this time I noticed in the first minute or two the A/C compressor cycled on and off about 4 times.

So, has anyone had this problem? Also, is it normal for the compressor to cycle so much when first turned on? I was going to bring it in on Monday, but now that it is blowing cold again I am afraid they are just going to say "works fine, nothing wrong". I know it sounds kind of stupid, but I almost wish it had stayed not working so at least they could diagnose it...now I will worry about the A/C going out all the time and in Florida that is not a pleasant thought in the summer!
  • Options
    kudronkudron Member Posts: 32
    If anyone is wondering, GM has a fix for the mirrors! I have also been going round and round with GM and my dealer regarding fixing my mirrors. I found this link with the official fix from GM.

http://service.gm.com/servlets/LatestNewsSrv?lang=en&country=US&dbCd=en

Then go down the page to:

#02-08-64-008 Uncommanded Movement of Outside Rearview Mirrors (Replace Mirror Actuator)

Its about 1/4 of the way down the page.

• Options
    shapiro3shapiro3 Member Posts: 11
    To the poster who compared the Envoy to his parents Denali, I totally agree. My parents have a black '02 Denali and while I love my Envoy and agree it is a great vehicle, to me the Denali wins hands down. It just feels more solid and handles much better. Looks wise, I might give the nod to the Envoy...it's pretty close. While I agree the Denali rides very smooth with the AutoRide, I do think the Envoy feels plusher...the Envoy is more of an isolated floaty Cadillac feel while the Denali is more of a firm but smooth feel.

Ironically, my Dad actually kind of likes the Envoy better. He is ticked off that my vehicle that was 10k cheaper has things his truck doesn't: Rain Sensing wipers, dual zone climate control with a digital display (he thinks the computer climate control with the rotary knobs in the Denali/Escalade looks really cheap), and he really can't believe my Envoy came with a trunk mat and the Denali didn't (especially when their '99 Denali DID come with a trunk mat!). Since he likes the Envoy so much, I told him we could trade :) He almost went for it, but Mom likes the Denali better. I tried to figure out a way to buy a Denali but I was already stretching it on a loaded SLT Envoy and I just couldn't come up with the 10K difference. Oh well, I guess that'll be my next car ;)
  • Options
    mraumrau Member Posts: 50
    .....Envoy is at least 10,000 dollars less than a Denali. The Envoy gets about 19 mpg. My brother's Denali get about 14mpg.
    You can get Captain Chairs in 2nd row with a Denali, only a split bench in the Envoy.

The Denali has more room and is a proven design.... but I still like my Envoy SLT.

Mike
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Wow..

Great job gaining access to the GM Official service website! I printed off the documents and will take my vehicle first thing Monday morning to the local dealership to have both actuators replaced! Now if you can somehow sift through that website to see if you can find out a fix for my delayed acceleration problem during a cold start, I would be eternally grateful!! :-)

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    I finally got a printout of the lube points for my Bravada... BTW, the Envoy and TB have lube points as well and the procedures and points are listed on the GM Official Service Website =)
  • Options
    rcmillerrcmiller Member Posts: 5
    Browsing through the bulletins on the gm site posted earlier i came across info on resetting the engine oil light after a change.

http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=866611

Summary is that the manual is incorrect, the oil light doesn't flash - if the oil light doesn't come on after performing the reset procedure and restarting the vehicle, then it is reset.

• Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Storm, it's hard to know without more info. For instance, does your dealer offer take into consideration a trade-in? If so, you can possibly do better unless he's giving you a good deal on your trade. Furthermore, be sure that invoice is the correct invoice. And does the $500 over include any advertising co-op fees? If the $500 includes co-op ad fees, it's like a pretty good offer. If there are co-op ad fees (and these will be shown on the invoice, but you may have to search for them down on the bottom and under some code words), be sure the dealer doesn't charge you more than 1%. I think the ad fees on my Envoy were about $275 in this metropolitan area. If he's charging you $500 over and still adding ad fees on top of that, then you might want to haggle some more. Also, if there are no ad fees listed on the invoice, then he is not paying any co-op ad fees, so do not allow him to charge you any of his own ad fees (his own local advertising is his own cost of doing business.) Good luck!