Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I should say her and $40 000 CDN are stopping me from getting the WRX :)
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yeah the $ thing does have an effect. Luckily my GF who isn't into cars much and never drives doesn't mind too much my cars. So long as I take her to the mall and what not.

-mike
  • Options
    sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Subaru owners are a different breed. Now I know being a new Subie owner. A while back I never thought I'd own one. Now I say "they're soooo ugly they look pretty" - about my WRX. Subies are no-nonsense cars. Watch me smile at you on a rainy day, in the snow or on the apex of a curve ;-).....
  • Options
    WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    Unfortunately, some rumours suggest the 2003 will be largely unchanged. Possibly a new bright yellow color will be offered (instead of the dull pale yellow before).
  • Options
    qualityguyqualityguy Member Posts: 101
    E-Bay offers a lot of deals, some of them worth the hassle of travel - check out the following, which, in my opinion are a real deal:

$23,600 (this is reserve, which is not met at the moment; it' looks like the car can be bought now for this price), and that's brand new with the options: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1826538730 (it's not a salespitch; I am not selling the car, this is just illustration of a statement)

there are also some others, just slightly used, like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1826500924

which could be considered new. What's the point in throwing money on the status of having "a new car", when with the money saved you can get a new exhaust, or a crossbar, or bigger intercooler with waterspray, or set of summer/winter tires (if you live where I live)?
  • Options
    ....for a performance car like a WRX, I'd rather buy a new one off the lot rather than taking a slightly used one and saving a thousand or two. For the most part, WRX's are probably driven hard and I'd rather get my own new one which is properly broken in etc.
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    I've noticed something odd. With "fun" cars like Miatas or Corvettes it is usually easy to find one with extremely low mileage. My guess is that people buy certain kinds of cars on impulse or because their heart wins out over their head, then they have a reversal or the wife tells them "it's that #@% car or ME!" and they sell it. But just try to find a low mileage Forester. The kind of person who buys a Forester doesn't turn it over again with 6K miles on it. More like 66K.

Steve
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That is so, so true. You have no idea how right you are.

My Forester has 45k miles. Many owners have 90, 100, even more. I guess it fills people's needs so that's all they drive.

I bought a used Miata, wouldn't you know it - low mileage. A 1993 with just 26k miles. A school teacher caught the bug and got one, later realized she didn't have the dexterity to put the top down all the time.

And as much as I like my Miata, we still put far more miles on the Forester. About 12k per year, vs. 7k per year for the Miata.

-juice
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    The red wagon is from Mastro Subaru, where I got my wagon...one of the best Subaru dealers in the Southeast, and very mod friendly...they are currently working on creating a 450hp WRX for a customer...When I flew to Tampa to get my car, I got picked up in one of their modded WRXs(the second one in the picture on the home page of their parts dept...

http://www.mastrowrx.com/

Serge

P.S. I noticed that you are also Serge...that makes 2 of us

No Longer the Only Serge

• Options
    cinosweivecinosweive Member Posts: 166
    Two relatively minor mods that caught my eye were the intercooler fin shield and the Morrettee headlignts. Has anybody tried either?
  • Options
    wheeldogwheeldog Member Posts: 39
    450 hp in a WRX?

Are they working on a complete drive-line replacement as well?
  • Options
    narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    That sounds like a bit too much for the stock WRX motor and drivetrain to handle. Maybe an STi with upgraded motor parts could handle that, but I imagine that 450 hp WRX wouldn't be very reliable.
  • Options
    Just wanted to let people know that I just got a custom hand made 3" mandrel bent exhaust (it's actually not mandrel in the true sense of the word, but all the bends are welded together, but the diameter of the pipe stays the same throughout) including the uppipe, and the car feels a lot stronger, and love hearing the turbo spool up. It cost $750 installed at a shop in Chatsworth, CA.

It took about 5 hours, and I was able to witness the fabrication of the entire setup. A high-flow cat is in the downpipe, and theres a magnaflow resonator and a flowmaster 50 series muffler. It's kinda loud, and the sound can be boomy at times. I might want to switch to a slightly quieter muffler, but it's fine right now.
  • Options
    Lots of people go with the hype/stereotypes; I'd say each must be realizing what kind of peson he is and what his situation is in every respect - financially, habitwise, etc. I'd take Bhp/handling over the show. Lots of other people bought WRX without relizing that they need a commuter car.
    I wonder - how does WRX with A/C on performs in Florida's August, when it is hot, humid, and in general, you are truly happy that you were born in the airconditioned 20th century?
  • Options
    narenji: sounds like a good deal if it's SS.

-juice
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    At local i-club meets, I've seen a number of cars with screen or wire mesh from Home Depot on the intercooler and scoop. You could probably do a search on the forums at i-club.com

The Power Engineering shield looks sharp and would probably outlast chicken wire. :-) Not so crazy about the "dyno-tuned" badge though.

-Dennis

edit: A/C -
    The WRX A/C sounds just like the one on my OBS. The compressor is constantly cycling off and on. I got used to it and it has always cooled quickly. Even in 100 deg. F heat.
  • Options
    So far, no problems...it's been around 90 for the last month or so, and the A/C works well.

Here are some of the mods they are doing for the monster rex:

<< "This 450+ horsepower off road competition monster will have a heap of modifications!

Here's a partial list of the goodies:

MRT custom built 2.2 stroker motor with forged rods, balanced and tweaked

Motec engine management

Garrett 24 psi turbo

MRT cold air intake

Heavy duty fuel supply system

DMS 40 Gold suspension kit

STI clutch

Lightened flywheel

Lightened pulley kit

4 pot brakes and cross drillied rotors

Adj. rear sway bar and links

MRT 22B rear wing

MRT big hood scoop

MRT big front mount intercooler

Morette Euro headlamps

Rays Gram light white 17" wheels

Toyo T1-S tires

STI roof vent and scoop

5 point seat belts

Stainless steel extractors

STI door sills

STI badging

STI rad cap

Clear fender markers and side blinkers

here is the website for it

http://mastrowrx.com/monster.htm

• Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I have the Rays Gram Lites (silver) & Toyo T1-S on my wagon too....who knew? :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    So where could I look around for a scoop shield. Being a newbie WRX owner, I wondered about the open scoop design. Seems like it exposes the engine compartment to the elements specially during bad weather...snow slush, mud, rain, road salt, etc. I know the car is still fairly new here for a track record but have any of you where it snows a lot had any issues with the open scoop in bad weather?

If there are any decent scoop screens out there I'd probably get one plus light shields too.
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Am I too old for a WRX wagon at 27? What color would be most appropriate for my age?
  • Options
    Huh? How could you be too old? If anything, lots of thirty-somethings buy the WRX too! I probably wouldn't have considered the wagon if I was still twenty-something (I didn't think wagons were cool back then)
  • Options
    Check out my post. sensei1 May 8, 2002 4:43pm

Surely you must be kidding to think old at 27. I thought about getting a wagon instead of a sedan. Color is a matter of personal choice. Mine is silver because I don't like the car getting dirty sitting still as with dark colors.

Keep in mind the WRX is not a mom and pop wagon as we've known. Good luck!
  • Options
    Well, kid...
  • Options
    wrxguywrxguy Member Posts: 51
    Yes 27 is too old for a WRX wagon. YOU must buy a camry and wear hush puppies,dockers, or suffer the consequences of being labeled as trying to recapture your younger years by way of having an exciting vehicle to drive.

Im kidding of course!! Im 44 and emensely enjoy my silver sedan. Social pressure is terrible. Buy a WRX because for 25 or 26 thousand you cant do better IMO. To date Ive seen three or four WRX's with silver hair driving them.
  • Options
    wrxguywrxguy Member Posts: 51
    Yes 27 is too old for a WRX wagon. YOU must buy a camry and wear hush puppies,dockers, or suffer the consequences of being labeled as trying to recapture your younger years by way of having an exciting vehicle to drive.

Im kidding of course!! Im 44 and emensely enjoy my silver sedan. Social pressure is terrible. Buy a WRX because for 25 thousand you cant do better IMO. To date Ive seen three or four WRX's with silver hair driving them.
  • Options
    rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    Actually, IIRC, official Subaru guidelines state that 27 is too old for the sedan. For the wagon, you must show ID that you are at least 38 years old. Everyone in between must buy a Forester. Hope this helps. ;-)
  • Options
    artgeckoartgecko Member Posts: 78
    At 48 and shiny headed, I could only imagine what silver hair might be like. Of course I've saved enough on barber bills to buy a WRX, so I'm not complaining.

Steve
    Black Wagon
  • Options
    ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    If 24 was too old, that means I only have 3 more years to enjoy my wagon. The funny thing, when I bought my wagon, all my friends laughed about me driving a wagon at 24. Then I showed them the performance numbers. They don't laugh anymore.

-scott
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Holy Cow !

What the heck do you care what other people think? I'm 51 and if I've learned anything in life it's that the pursuit of the approval of others is a bottomless pit. Make yourself happy. If you like the WRX and can afford one .. get it. If you like the Yugo ... ah well, maybe not the Yugo .. but you get the idea.

I have a partial solar panel on my head (some missing hair) but when I drive the WRX I'm 18 years old.
    - hutch
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Fredy - Well since I have a non-functional hood scoop, I'm not sure of specifcs. :-)
    The ones that I have seen were homemade using screen/wire mesh from Home Depot.

Do a search at http://www.i-club.com/forums
    I did a search and came up with this for a intercooler shield:http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=182540&referrerid=767

-Dennis
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    full solar panel, and am 57. I would love to own a WRX wagon, which would transpose the age numbers (57 = 75). Hmmm, that can't be right; maybe I'm thinking about a Buick. Must be having a senior moment...

Bob
  • Options
    dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    Right on!

I'm 51 also, my silver sedan makes me feel young also. It seems a lot of us old foggies are reverting back to our younger days. :) I think it has a lot to do with the fact that when we were young we couldn't afford to splurge on something like this. Or maybe we are going through a mid life crisis and we find this a LOT cheaper than getting a new wife. Hehe!

In any case, I totally agree with you about the persuit of other peoples approval.

It's funny, but I noticed that our 10 year class reunion was all about impressing people, but by the time our 30 year reunion came it was more about who is no longer with us and whether or not we are happy with the way things have turned out. Time has a way of changing priorities.

Maybe they should all have to wait till they're 50 or older to get one! Then they could enjoy it more for what it is, rather than what it makes other people think. :)
    (I'm just kidding guys!)

My opinion is that it's a pretty cool car for the money.

Ken
  • Options
    huibregtsehuibregtse Member Posts: 24
    Picked up my silver WRX sedan two days ago (5 speed, spoiler, security upgrade). Thanks to everyone on this board, which I've been following for months and months. This purchase was long-considered, dating back perhaps four years when I wanted an A4 like nobody's business. Then the WRX came along and I realized I could get more of the best stuff of the A4 without the stuff I don't care about (and can't afford). The WRX replaces a '91 Integra, which I loved dearly. I know it's not fair to compare the two cars, but the WRX feels so solidly planted compared to the acura that it's not even funny. Taking it over the same roads where the integra would nearly skip sideways as I hit expansion joints under hard acceleration in second gear, the WRX just gobbles 'em up. I never bothered to test the new RSX (couldn't live with that styling), but I be curious to know how it compares in this department. But, I did love my integra and I have some appreciation now for the expression that it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow (although a fast car fast, as I hope to find out after 1000 miles, should be another story). BTW, I'm 41 and am taking a fair amount of mid-life crisis jabs from my dis-respecting employees. But, I say (with a sly grin) that if that's as bad of a mid-life crisis I ever have - a SUBUARU, of all things - they and my wife should consider themselves very lucky.
    I do have a question for ya'll, now that we have two vehicles with chuncky remoting unlocking devices that I'm trying to carry around on one key chain - is it possible to get some kind of a dual device that could be trained on two cars of different make? Our other vehicle is an'02 Buick Rendezvous, if that makes a difference - talk about the antithesis of the WRX, but my wife loves it, and honestly it's quite a comfy ride. To my fellow 40- or 50-somethings, if you ever really are feeling old, go into a Buick dealership for a visit. Wow! I'm not kidding about this - our dealership (in Austin, TX) literally has rocking chairs in the service department waiting area (along with a little putting green). Thanks againg to everyone who has contributed comments here - it's really a great service.
  • Options
    Congrats.

Yugo, LOL!

Know what's funny? The guy who founded SoA is the same person that brought Yugo over here. He's trying to make a come back with another cheap car!

-juice
  • Options
    huibregtsehuibregtse Member Posts: 24
    Picked up my silver WRX sedan two days ago (5 speed, spoiler, security upgrade). Thanks to everyone on this board, which I've been following for months and months. This purchase was long-considered, dating back perhaps four years when I wanted an A4 like nobody's business. Then the WRX came along and I realized I could get more of the best stuff of the A4 without the stuff I don't care about (and can't afford). The WRX replaces a '91 Integra, which I loved dearly. I know it's not fair to compare the two cars, but the WRX feels so solidly planted compared to the acura that it's not even funny. Taking it over the same roads where the integra would nearly skip sideways as I hit expansion joints under hard acceleration in second gear, the WRX just gobbles 'em up. I never bothered to test the new RSX (couldn't live with that styling), but I be curious to know how it compares in this department. But, I did love my integra and I have some appreciation now for the expression that it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow (although a fast car fast, as I hope to find out after 1000 miles, should be another story). BTW, I'm 41 and am taking a fair amount of mid-life crisis jabs from my dis-respecting employees. But, I say (with a sly grin) that if that's as bad of a mid-life crisis I ever have - a SUBUARU, of all things - they and my wife should consider themselves very lucky.
    I do have a question for ya'll, now that we have two vehicles with chuncky remoting unlocking devices that I'm trying to carry around on one key chain - is it possible to get some kind of a dual device that could be trained on two cars of different make? Our other vehicle is an'02 Buick Rendezvous, if that makes a difference - talk about the antithesis of the WRX, but my wife loves it, and honestly it's quite a comfy ride. To my fellow 40- or 50-somethings, if you ever really are feeling old, go into a Buick dealership for a visit. Wow! I'm not kidding about this - our dealership (in Austin, TX) literally has rocking chairs in the service department waiting area (along with a little putting green). Thanks againg to everyone who has contributed comments here - it's really a great service.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    For an "old man" he drove pretty good @ the Covered Bridge Tour last year! Even managed to keep up with Juice and I in the XT6! :)

-mike
  • Options
    Buick owners are mostly in their 60s and 70s. I think the median age for some models in way up in the 70s! Wow! No wonder they have rocking chairs and putting greens.

The RSX Type S supposedly has a stiff ride, though I have not tried it. The base RSX may be more tolerable. But the WRX's long travel suspension is likely the best for uneven roads, not to mention the AWD.

-juice
  • Options
    There are two such juicy WRX's on e-bay - my God, don't let me spend again my money (on another car) like those people did.
    By the way, if I am not mistaken, Townhall used to have links from, let's say one style of the same car to another, like station wagon - sedan - coupe. And it's not there now. I'd say, I miss this link, 'cuz WRX in any form is bought for pretty much the same reason and lots of those who write here are owners of wagon - this utilitarian preformance (or the other way around); only later you realize that technically you are in a wrong place. So, having the link would be nice...
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    I'm 59 and proud to admit I'm not mature enough to own a WRX. So it's highly individual.

Steve
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    We should just start the Subaru WRX Old Fart Club...or in Yiddish, the WRX Alter Cocker Club! Minum Age is 45
  • Options
    I'm way too young at 33. Guess I'll have to wait a few years...

-juice
  • Options
    juice, you can be an Honorary Member till the proper time
  • Options
    Junior Fan Club? ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    stedswrxstedswrx Member Posts: 3
    I'm a new owner (5spd, silver, sedan). Only 550 miles to date. Love the car so far. Question: what does the security upgrade package get you? Is it worth the $'s or should I go aftermarket security? Thanks for the help. Love this site and the real world input from wrx drivers.
  • Options
    swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    anyone see the tuning article in the new sport compact car magazine about the wrx? for $1000 they bought and installed a vishnu stage 0 kit (bigger up-pipe, underdrivepulley, and a piggyback ecu) and got an extra 41 hp at the wheels.. pretty impressive.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Yes, I have a Vishnu Stage 0 pkg coming anyday. I ordered over a month ago. Shiv (the owner) is a great guy to deal with. He painstakenly tests and tests again his products. One of his main objectives (and the reason why it takes a long time for him to release new products)is day-to-day reliability & driveability. I will post reviews once I get it installed. Eventually I will be upgrading to the Stage 1 but first things first. :-)

Serge: Whoo wee! I'm too young to be in the ole farts' Club, at a youngish 40! :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    I guess you will also have to join the Junior Club w/ juice.
  • Options
    Welcome to all the new WRX owners. I have a wagon too, and got some comments about "why a wagon?" etc. But after they go for a drive, they know this isn't their usual wagon. Enjoy your new rides, but try to go easy those first 1000 mi. I know it's torture to keep it under 4000rpm...

Juice, the exhaust is aluminized steel, I believe, not stainless steel. Keep in mind that this system was $750 installed. Other turbo back systems i've seen are around $1000, the Uppipe another $250-400, and another $300 for the installation labor. So instead of a total of around $1500, I got this system for $750, half price. Even though people believe "you get what you pay for," you have to see the construction of this system.

I live in so. cal, so I don't think stainless steel is all that necessary here. Anyway, I looked at all the parts of the exhaust. The only parts that were really dirty was the catback section (3rd midpipe cat on). The uppipe and downpipe section were clean. So I presume not much stuff gets onto the downpipe and uppipe, two critical components. And since the high-flow cat is in the downpipe, the rest of the system should be easy/inexpensive to replace if it does rust out in a while.
  • Options
    Well if they make that many changes to it, then I guess they're not concerned about reliability, though the upgraded parts in the drivetrain and motor should help. I wonder why they don't just import an STi motor and drivetrain and upgrade that instead of making a custom 2.2L motor...
This discussion has been closed.