Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    # of autos seems low or there are lots still to be sold as all my local dealers seem to have far more autos than manuals now, it was the opposite this time last year.
  • Options
    fxsfxs Member Posts: 50
    I asked SOA about U.S. sales to date. The above production numbers are what they responded with. I was curious because of my 15,xxx VIN # and the fact that Subaru said they would only produce 10-12K WRX units for the 2002 model year when the car was introduced last spring 2001.
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Since the US version is different than other versions around the world, I am assuming the 35K models are all North American (U.S., Canada, Mexico?) (could be wrong though). Also, the '02 model year for the WRX started in the Summer of '01.

I know Subaru was planning to only import 10K models to the U.S. initially. With the popularity of this model, they may have decided to import more.

One other item of note is the lack of Subaru dealers compared to other cars.

In terms of Autos being available, for this model car, and Auto will be much less desireable than a manual.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Twice as many sedans as wagons! That's switch for Subaru. Also interesting is the manual/automatic split!

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, 30k 5 speeds to not even 5k automatics. Kudos to Subaru for offering them in most of their models, now get to work on the H6 guys! And make it a 6 speed!

-juice
  • Options
    sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    Don't know where you're based, Tom, but try driving around the north and northwest suburbs of Chgo. I've seen several Subies there and also some WRXs, in just about every color. True there are more wagons than sedans, but I've been surprised at the number of WRXs I've seen.

There are also Subaru dealers in Arl. Hts. and in Highland Park. Just FYI.

--Sonya4
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Just 5K Autos out of 35K WRXs. Makes for a truly exclusive group among a lot of commoners !! :-) J/K

Later...AH
  • Options
    mike25rsmike25rs Member Posts: 6
    I know this is the wrx message board but I just became a member on this site and I didn't see any other ones. Anyway I was wondering if and of you guys read the magazine "sport compact car." I just bought my car a few months ago and I picked up the mag because I saw the rex on it. Well in the "letters" section they responded to a letter and stated that they had produced almost 300 hp at the wheels of their 2.5RS, I read this in the july issue and I was hoping someone saw the article they are talking about in a previos issue and wouldn't mind telling me how they did it. I already wrote to the magazine and they want me to pay for a whole back issue. Thanks, and any other serious tips would be appreciated. (don't tell me I should have bought a rex, remember I still got the bigger moter...ha,ha).Thanks again
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is with an SC or Turbo kit. I know of several companies out there producing kits. Check out the I-club for more info.

-mike
  • Options
    cinosweivecinosweive Member Posts: 166
    Stephen: I want to hear more about this pocket logger software and Palm Pilot combo. How does it work? Where do you get it? Etc.
  • Options
    Just curious. What is the most gas anyone has put in their rex at fillup? (w/out topping off, that is). I was just wondering how close to empty you can get.
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    When I see post like yours, I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode to see how far Kramer could go with the low fuel light on. Did you ever see that??

Anyway, I avoid letting my tank get too low. I don't want to draw the nasty stuff that has settled into the bottom of the tank into the car. Sorry I can't answer you!

Patti
  • Options
    If I allow the light to come on, then it fills up to around 12.6-12.7 gallons. But generally I fill up, well before the light comes on.

Later...AH
  • Options
    I never let my cars go below 1/4 tank.

-mike
  • Options
    epp1epp1 Member Posts: 48
    ...in on the first fill up post purchase (mileage in the low 20s). Have yet to pull out the manual to see how much it is supposed to hold. Anyone NOT running premium? I'm not really considering this, but just curious. I've read elsewhere that the use of sub-premium fuels does not materially impede performance or wear and tear on the internals.

Also, not to kick a dead horse, but even with my 225/45/17s I get the "brake issue" going over uneven road surfaces and expansion joints, etc.

Not necessarily unnerving, but it is the most pronounced and prolonged ABS effect I've ever come accross. It feels like stopping on hard pack snow/ice here in MN.

Overall, love it. More fun every time I get in it. Just passed 300 miles on the way into work. Per my dealer, it's go time. No need to wait until 1K.

BTW, if you want to buy a 2.5RS and spend thousands on aftermarket goodies to boost performance that's great. You'll have a blast, but it's not a substitute for a Rex. I've looked at the Vishnu and Cobb kits. The nearest installer for me is Naperville, IL (Cobb). Then again, I'm pretty sure my factory spec'd Rex will provide more than ample opportunity to get in trouble zooming about.

Anyone know of a place to get more subtantial floor mats, especially all rubber, that fit the Impreza floor boards?

Sean
  • Options
    ...what about seat covers? Wet Okole (seen on Performance Products site)?

I'm always making a mess outside (mtb, wakeboarding, snowboarding) and hopping into my car. Looking for a way to preserve the seats while not ruining the comfort and fit.

Thanks - Sean
  • Options
    Depends if you like the new body style or prefer a GC8 coupe. Also a 2.5l turboed engine will kick the WRX all over the place due to it's low-end torque that a 2.0l engine just can't produce.

-mike
  • Options
    ...is displacement, so I readily accept the fact that a souped up 2.5L will smoke the smaller WRX powerplant. Just being cheeky with the RS poster.

Apples and oranges in my opinion (25% more displacement). Regardless, such mods will all but render your warranty moot and cost you a good chunk of change out of pocket.

This will likely get me flamed mercilessly, but if I really wanted a tarmac scorcher I'd get a new M3. That said, the "investment committee" won't have it (plus, I don't have a third garage stall) so I had to find a middle ground that I am all too happy to have discovered. Performance, practicality & price in one package (lot of "p"s).

Keep up the quality posts.

Sean
  • Options
    fxsfxs Member Posts: 50
    Thank you for contacting Subaru.com and for your inquiry.

The following are the total WRX vehicles sold for the 2002 model year:

WRX sedan, manual trans. - 20377
    WRX sedan, auto trans. - 2351
    WRX wagon, manual trans. - 9815
    WRX wagon, auto trans. - 2161

TOTAL: 34,704 WRX models

I hope that this information is helpful! Please let us know if we may be of
    further assistance.

Best wishes,
    Sandi Parente-Geiges
    Internet Customer Service
    Subaru of America, Inc.
  • Options
    WRX is good stuff and once in that turbo you are golden. As for the M3... it's nice but AWD is awsome IMHO.

-mike
  • Options
    When I first bought the car, I was dumb enough to assume I could drive around a little with the light on. Then I forgot my wallet when I went to the gas station, so had to drive home. To make a long story short, ended up coasting into the gas-station, but could still start up the car (would stall out after a few feet of driving though.

15.12 gallons is the amount I ended up putting in it. The car has since continued to run fine.
  • Options
    Since I do not know the nature of the engine, it is a heck of an assumption to assume the 2.4 will automatically generate a great deal more torque than the 2. Size is not the only thing that matters.

Also, with a stick, you can rev the car up before take-off to maximize the torque from the Turbo. There are a great deal more factors that make an engine than just displacement. A 3.0L V Maxima produced 155HP and 160 lbs of torque in 1988, yet an Acura Legend 2.7L V produced 160 hp and 180 lbs of torque (and there was more low end torque as well)!
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    The modded 2.5RS was their second Project Impreza. It's owned by Vishnu Performance owner/SCC contributor Shiv Pathak. You might be able to find more info by searching the forums at i-club.com. You will definitely spend mega-bucks on a project like that.

The last issue of SCC had a review of the Datalogger as well.

-Dennis
  • Options
    I never said anything about displacement. I've been in the subie arena for years. I know several 2.5l Turbos and have ridden in them. I've also ridden in my share of WRXs with the 2.0l turbos.

A 2.5l turbo GC8 is going to be faster and have a lot more acceleration off the line than a 2.0l turbo WRX.

As for revving up a stick before take-off, in case you aren't aware, that will likely blow up your WRX tranny since that is the weak point in the driveline of the WRX. 3K drops on a WRX all the time is not going to lead to a long life.

A 2.5l turbo kit installed from rallispec is about $7K, so it will cost more than a WRX.

As for displacement, I know all about it not producing more power. I drive a 2.7l H6 pumping out a whopping 145hp and 156lbs torque.

-mike
  • Options
    Paisan - thought your conclusion on the basis of a modified RS being superior to the WRX was based on the engine size instead of actual first-hand knowledge. That is why I brought the issue up.

Also, did not realize you were comparing a modified RS vs. a stock WRX.

I know there are plenty of mod-jobs you can do with a WRX to increase the power significantly over the 300 hp range, but will most likely result in less engine life.

Heck, right from the dealership, the manager there was telling me of a guy who could soup up my WRX to about 350 HP! I am not planning on racing the car, so I have no plans to do this.
  • Options
    Patti: Funny you should bring up that Seinfeld episode. I kind of did want to see how far I could go. The light came on on my way home from work yesterday. I meant to fill up last night but I ended up not going out last night. I figured I had enough to get to work so I thought I would fill up after work today. An unanticipated traffic jam on the way to work caused that needle to drop more than I had ever seen a needle drop before. It is now almost to the bottom of the "E". I half wanted to see if I could make it home without filling up. My other half is wondering if I will make it to the gas station less than a mile from work. Does that free roadside assistance deliver gas? :) I was wondering if the tank's reported 15.9 gal capacity is usable or total volume. Judging from Kevin's response, I guess that is total volume. Maybe I had better fill up before heading home.
  • Options
    rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    If any of you are interested in knowing what your WRX or OBS VIN # means, here is a chart that will tell you from an i-club post a while back:

Digits Code Meaning Details

1 to 3 JF1 Manufacturer body area JF1: Passenger car, FHI made
    4 G Car line G: Impreza
    5 D Body tpe D: 4 Door Sedan G: Wagon
    6 2 Displacement 2: 2.0L AWD Turbo 6: 2.5L AWD
    7 5 Grade 5: TS 7: RS 8: OBS 9: WRX
    8 5 Restraint 5: Manual belts, dual airbag. 6: Manual belts, dual airbag, side airbag.
    9 X Check digit 0 - 9 & X
    10 2 Model year 2: MY2002 3: MY2003
    11 G Transmission type G: Full-time AWD 5-speed MT H: Full-time AWD 4-speed AT
    12 - 17 500001 Manufacture number From 500001: 4 Door Sedan From 800001: Wagon

As an example, my WRX is #JF1-GG2963 2G809103.
    So decifering from the table,

Digits 1-3: JF1 =s its a passenger car made by Fuji Heavy Industries.

Digit 4: G means its an Impreza
    Digit 5: G means its a wagon
    Digit 6: 2 means its a 2-liter AWD turbo
    Digit 7: 9 means its a WRX
    Digit 8: 6 means it has manual belts, dual air bags, side air bags.
    Digit 9: 3 --it's not clear what "check digit" means, possibly a number that has some hidden security meaning(?), but it needs to be either 0-9 or X.
    Digit 10: 2 means model year 2002
    Digit 11: G means AWD 5-speed tranny
    Digit 13-17: 809103 means its a wagon and production #9103 off the line.

Note: This refers to the number Impreza off the line, not the #WRX. Unfortunately, my understanding is there is no way to tell what number WRX off the line yours is from the VIN.
  • Options
    If the line is below the E, you are on the verge of running out of gas! The line was just below the E when I started stalling out.
  • Options
    nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    I'm about to upgrade to 17" wheels and tires. I'm going withnthe toyo proxess t1-s. While looking at the wheels, it seems that the rota battle is a direct knockoff of the standard 16" wrx wheel. Is this true? I know the rota tarmac is a prodrive P1 replica, but i don't like that wheel. The attack is a nice looking wheel also. Any opinions? Once i get them, i'm stuck and i really am not sure how they'll look until they are on the car.
  • Options
    It's funny you should mention this because I just ran out of gas the other day and when I finallly made it to the gas station (after pushin' it, and it isn't very easy when you are by yourself) I filled it up and it took 14.5 gallons! But learn from my mistake once the light comes on find a gas station soon. I ran for about thirty-five or forty minutes after the light came on, and that was doin' 85 on the freeway.
  • Options
    o and thanks for the tips, and the reason I didn't get the rex in the first place is because I'm not worried about the cost of the mods, I get all performance parts at wholesale. and I looked on i-club but I didn't see anything as far as turbo kits for my 2.5RS.

do you guys have any recomendations on a good wheel and tire setup and why. I'm looking to go with 17's but if anyone has tried 18's please let me know how you did it.

and does anyone have or know about the 6 speed tranny I read about it but I haven't talked to anyone who has it. ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES any help would be nice and i'm not worried about the warrenty issue. the one I looked at was on the MRT website. Thanks

Mike
  • Options
    Go to Rallispec they are the #1 Subaru tuner in the country IMHO. They've been working on subies for years and are really a great group.

-mike
  • Options
    edge01edge01 Member Posts: 28
    Question:

Has anyone else had an obnoxious chemical odor come from thier AC system? I'm in Denver now where it's 95+ most days and it's to the point where using the AC makes me want to vomit.

Thanks,

Ryan
  • Options
    dettlingdettling Member Posts: 6
    Turns out the check engine light was a result of an improperly installed gas cap by the dealer. I'm averaging 100 miles a day and loving it. This car is everything I have read and more. I took her on some rural Alabama roads this afternoon, man that was fun.
  • Options
    Made it. 14.8 gallons. The needle was pretty much bisecting the E. It sounds like you don't want to go much further than that. I want my next car to have 227 HP but get 40 mpg.
  • Options
    Ryan-- smoke from the Hayman fire was lingering around Denver all morning yesterday. It was so bad, you could hardly see the skyline. That might account for the strange odor you're noticing. Together with the 95 degree heat, it's time to think about a nice vacation in Alaska! :)
  • Options
    Ladies and fellas,

I actually brought up the displacement issue, incorrectly citing that as the basis for Mike's argument that the RS would be stronger off the line. My error.

17" vs. 18" wheels? I looked at the 18"ers for my 3 season set up here in MN and my dealer steered me clear of it citing claims by Subaru Technica in Nipon that performance suffered as a result of the greater rotating mass. Well, I'm not technical enough to compare things in mathspeak, but I'm pretty confident that if you want 18s, you should be able to find some lighter weight wheels and rubber that comes close to the OE weight. Might be much pricier than a decent 17" set up.

So, I went with 17" P1s w/ 225/45/17 Sumi HTR+s. The wheel choice was the result of endless vascillation over BBS vs. Prodrive vs. Moda (heavy like lead) vs. sticking with the OE. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE BBS FROM SUBARU! This is likely common knowledge here, but you can score the same rims from Tirerack for 55-60% less than the $3K Subaru wants. I took a flyer on the rubber based on reviews and price (<$99 each). Net, net, this wheel/tire combo really fills the wells nicely.

I have yet to see a WRX sporting 18" so I can't comment on fit or possible rub issues. I noticed this AM though that when turned my tires get awfully close to the back side of the wells. Without hanging onto the hood and letting someone else drive (yeah, right) I have no idea what's going on when I'm bouncing around the streets.

For those of you trying to dress your Subie with different wheels, Tirerack remains the best place to windowshop. Check with your dealership as my guy was able to source the wheels from Tirerack below their web pricing, install them, and roll them into the deal.

Sean
  • Options
    When I went to go test drive a WRX at the dealer, he had a couple WRXs with 18" 45-225 tires and wheels. Seems to fit quite nicely!!

For looks alone, highly recommend the 18"s, they seem to fit the large wheel well quite nicely.

Test drove one, had a little harsher ride, but not significantly harsher. Was very doable. The car felt even more stable than with the 16"s (feels very stable with the 16s).

Dramatically improves handling.

If you can get lighter rims, would make up for the bigger rims, even thought with the 18s (were not the light type!), the car was still pretty fast!

When I upgrade my car, I will definitely go to the 18"s!!! 17s look slightly too small.
  • Options
    I forgot. Whichever the tire center recommends for not increasing overall radius of the tire-wheel combo.
  • Options
    I would like to replace the big floppy OE antennae with one of the shorter, flexible rubber nubbins?

Has anyone out there done this or know of a decent aftermarket supplier of such parts? Vivid Racing has one, but their example has you drilling a new hole vs. using the stock mount. Not what I want to do.

Thanks in advance - Sean
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Sorry Sean..just want it to be clear for all. The BBS wheels available for the WRX on Tirerack are not the same as the dealer BBS wheels offered at $3k. The ones on Tirerack are the RK model at $289 each. They are a different model and heavier than the ones through the dealer. I still agree though that there are less expensive and just as good wheel options out there for the WRX. The dealer BBS wheels are much too pricey for most folks, especially in that they don't even include tires!

Stephen
  • Options
    18"? I remember a time, not too long ago, when top Corvettes only got 17"s.

Sean: I did on my Miata. The power antennae broke, and I replaced it with a flexible rubber one. It was pretty much a bolt-on install, plus a plug-in of the signal wire. I ended up removing more than I installed, because the new one didn't require a power source.

Got it at WalMart, just a generic brand. The Universal one fit on my Miata.

-juice
  • Options
    the performance difference between 17 and 18" rims on a WRX would only be noticiable by a professional driver on a closed track. Sorry but we don't drive our cars hard enough on the street to notice any difference between 17" and 18" rims. On the other hand try to get a replacement 18" tire on a sunday while on a trip.... Good luck.

18" rims are cool for flossing your R@cer image though.

-mike
  • Options
    The 18" rims did look nice on the WRX though!! Get the tinting as well.

Heck, I will probably stick with my 16" for a while.

Just saying if you want 18" rims, they will fit and look good.

If performance is what you are looking for, that is an entirely different category that I am not qualified to answer.

The 18" rims I drove looked heavy (they were the cheap kind) at the dealer, yet the car was still plenty fast.

Just depends on what the owner wants
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    THe BBS WRX rims from the dealership....for that price they better be magnesium.

18 rims.....don't forget -- less sidewall means less protection for the rims (bent rims and such)
  • Options
    Also, the BBS rims sold through by Subaru through the dealers is completely different from the BBS rims sold by tirerack. The Subaru BBS rims are forged, extremely strong, super-light and are built in Japan. The tirerack BBS rims are different. Both these rims just share the name of the manufacturer and have some visual resemblance - that's all. Similar to saying that the Mercedes S600 and the Dodge Interpid are built by the same manufacturer, but are completely different.

Later...AH
  • Options
    Subaru sells 2 different sets of 17" BBS rims. The $3K ones and the ~$1K ones. The $3K are strong, the $1K ones are not so strong (forged v. die?)

-mike
  • Options
    Yep, cast. One dealer had a big ad in Autoweek, $1700 for a full set of 4 with good tires.

-juice
  • Options
    ...on the OE vs. aftermarket BBSs. Jumped the gun and never compared the two outside of casual visual comparison. Regardless, I decided that BBS rims are for the Krautmobiles and chose the P1s. BBS owners flame away! Kidding, nice wheels.

Say, who all has installed a turbo timer on their WRX? My dealer is telling me that that is the only immediate "must have" aftermarket goodie.

Got a shop here locally that can do it (carry the Blitz brand).

Thanks in advance - Sean
  • Options
    There is an odor and a pretty obnoxious one when you switch off the A/C but keep the fan on the recirculate mode. You have to throw the other switch to bring fresh air into the cabin.
This discussion has been closed.