Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    speedbuggy67speedbuggy67 Member Posts: 5
    I got a case number and did as you two had suggested and my car is going to flemington subaru Monday morning. Hopefully all works out. Seems awfully fishy perfect til 31k miles then two transmissions after the clutch job at 31k miles and its only at 35k now! I am not sure what to do with my meticulously kept car after this though.

Scott
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Keep it! Drive it.

Guess I'm the optimist, but you will have a clutch with zero miles on it.

-juice
  • Options
    celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Hello everyone, may I ask you a question about the WRX wheel and tire fitment?

I have a chance to buy a set of the 05 STi BBS wheels at a very low price. The size of the wheels and tires are 17 x 8, 225/45/17. Will those fit on 02 WRX sedan?

Thank you for your input.

Luk
  • Options
    celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    I just found out the bolt pattern on the 05 STi BBS wheel is 5-114. WRX is 5-100. >__<
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Yeah, the 04 STi wheels would fit (5x100) but not the 05 wheels!

Craig
  • Options
    dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    Does anyone know what the proper torgue should be on the wheel lugnuts for an '02 WRX Sedan with stock wheels? The only thing I found in the owners manual said something like 58-74 ft. lbs. Seem like a large variation to me. Also, doesn't seem tight enough. Had new tires installed at Sears recently and checked the torgue today and found them to be around 85-90 ft. Lbs. That seems a little high for alloy wheels, and I'm concerned that might damage the wheels. What is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Ken
  • Options
    58-72 ft-lb is the correct range. I normally set my wrench to 65 ft-lb and call it fair (there is obviously some error in setting the wrenches anyway).

If you are checking your torque by trying to loosen a bolt, that's not going to reflect the actual tightening torque (it will appear to be higher). Torqueing lugs is pretty much a one-way one-time thing, it has to be right when you snug them down in a single turn.

Craig
  • Options
    mws1672002mws1672002 Member Posts: 19
    I was wondering if anyone on the board has traded a WRX for an Sti. If so has the Sti been everything you thought it would be compared to the WRX?
  • Options
    A number of people on the nasioc forum have done that, and I know they have been pretty happy with the change. For the extra money, the STi gives you a lot of value, certainly more than putting the equivalent money into mods on a stock WRX.

When I owned a WRX, I test drove an STi and it was definitely a huge step up in performance. I would have gotten one if it didn't put my marriage in jeopardy!

Craig
  • Options
    Much better 6 speed tranny, sturdier clutch, bigger engine, AVCS, front LSD, more sophisticated AWD, bigger rims, HIDs, etc.

Tons of upgrades, easily worth the price if you can afford it. But...it's not for the faint of heart, it is an extreme automobile with everything that comes with that.

-juice
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    And you also have the issue of extra $$$ for tires +/-rims if you plan on running it in winter. Only a few places where the S-03's would do well as winter rubber - like Arizona maybe. Big bucks for one of the guys up here to get rims and tires. My neighbour put his away.
    Of course it'd still buy an STi wagon in a heartbeat.

Nicholas
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    One of the other considerations for the STi, as Juice stated, is the fact that the STi is an extreme ride. It may not be as good a commuter car as the WRX due to the stiffer ride. Just depends on what you will be using the car for. Also, the WRX will probably get better gas mileage.
  • Options
    AZ - LOL!

-juice
  • Options
    km24km24 Member Posts: 36
    Hi
    How good are the wrx sti hid lights? the hid lights in the Saab 92-x were ok , a little better than normal.
  • Options
    barriostkdbarriostkd Member Posts: 71
    I just got back from CT over the Thanksgiving weekend and got to drive my buddy's 2003 Evo w/ a reflashed ECU and an after market turbo back exhaust. And now that I'm back in CA driving my stock 2004 WRX, I realize the significant difference in power delivery and rush that my friend's Evo delivers.

Anyway, because of this I'm starting to consider either Vishnu's Stage Sub-Zero or Stage Zero. The Sub-Zero basically consists of only a remapped ECU, while the Stage Zero adds a Main Power Pulley and 321 Up-Pipe kit. So the reason for my post is to ask if any of you out there has had any experience w/ either of these two stages. Basically I want a reasonable gain in power and torque without unreasonably compromising reliability. I know that any time you do these things there's always a risk on the reliability to some degree, but wanted to know if it's still a fairly safe gamble. Any input would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

JB
  • Options
    Not sure where to ask this question, but since I have a WRX I figure I can use this board.
    Does anyone know if Subaru has any plans in the works to offer a full size pickup to compete with the Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra anytime in the next five years or so????

I would likely buy it in a minute if they do.

Sorry, the Baha just doesn't quite do it for me.

Thanks,

Ken
  • Options
    I seriously doubt it --they are far from having the platforms for this, and remember that they are 20% owned by GM. I doubt they would go into direct competition with GM in the truck market.

CRaig
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I concur with Craig as well. They might build a Baja on the B9X platform though, which might satisfy some of the growth/capacity desires. But, it will likely never have something to compete with the big boys - look at how long it took Toyota and Nissan to get it right.

-Brian
  • Options
    Good question but it calls for speculation, because all that's confirmed for now is the B9X 5+2 SUV. We're not even sure if there will be a Baja next model year.

-juice
  • Options
    cooljcoolj Member Posts: 15
    used 2004 WRX sedan, silver, automatic, premium package (heated seats & roof), 8,000 miles for $19,800. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    mack1952mmack1952m Member Posts: 2
    Hi! Sorry, I don't have experience with the Vishnu set-up, but you might also look into Cobb Tuning's power upgrades, including their Accessport. Try their website at www.cobbtuning.com. The NASIOC website is also a good one for WRX power upgrade questions.

I'm running a Stage 2 Accessport on my 2003 WRX, and I love it!

Happy New Year!

Ken
  • Options
    Seems good to me. I wonder why they sold it so soon? 1st owner took a big hit for you.

-juice
  • Options
    Seems like an excellent deal -- I sold my 03 5-spd without premium package with about the same mileage for $18900 in August. To get all that extra equipment on an 04 for only $900 more seems like a heck of a steal to me. Why such a good deal?

CRaig

PS: my only reservation would be the transmission -- auto trans pretty much sucks the life out of the WRX.
  • Options
    barriostkdbarriostkd Member Posts: 71
    Thanks for the input, Ken. I also viewed the Cobb Tuning website, but thought I'd inquire more about Vishnu since they're local to my area (SF). I'm not ready for the power upgrade yet because I upgraded wheels/tires a few months ago and the next one the list is a rear sway bar (which will be sometime in 2005). Only one upgrade per year. :)

Btw, did any of you guys see the online forum in Automobile Magazine re: Mustang GT vs. WRX? I was reading some of the posts and think that the arguements will just go round and round.

JB
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Does anybody know where I can get a couple of mint replacement wheels for my '02 WRX? I can travel around and between Philadelphia and New York City. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    Here's one for the record books. And yes we know, you shouldn't speed on public roads. The article doesn't say, but I'm guessing it was an STI. I expect we'll see more of this as affordable 300+ HP cars become commonplace. Kinda cool, but kinda scary.

Go to story
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    merry shoot me an e-mail I know of a few places/people that have em.

-mike
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Thanks Mike! E-mail sent.
  • Options
    Oops, forgot about the login requirement for that link. It basically says a local man in WI was caught doing 145mph on the freeway here in WI in a WRX. He faces about $1200 in fines.
  • Options
    Heard that on Paul Harvey news report this morning.

Just chuckled and thought to myself, "What an IDIOT!"

It must have been an STi, considering the regular WRX is supposed to govern out at about 135mph. That's not to say it wasn't modified somewhat.

It doesn't take much at that speed to become dead.

I've seen cars close up after high speed crashes, and they aren't pretty. Let alone the fact that the safety equipment is not designed to protect you in a high speed crash.

All I can say is the guy is lucky he's alive to pay his $1200+ in fines, he got off easy!

Ken
  • Options
    "It must have been an STi, considering the regular WRX is supposed to govern out at about 135mph. That's not to say it wasn't modified somewhat. "

- It might have been modified. Also, CD had its long term WRX up to 144 mph (oct. '02), so it is possible. Other WRXs have been tested up to 139 mph. I believe the auto is the only one with a governor on it.
  • Options
    I still check the posts every now and then, there does'nt seem to be as many as last year. Still driving my '02 WRX, still have the original screen on the intercooler I made a couple years ago, still works great. Still got yours?

I've never opened mine up in 5th gear but it has been in lower gears a time or two, it seems to start cutting out right about red line. That's what I got from a quick glance, don't like to take my eyes off the road when running hard. When I did it, it was pretty much of an accident as I was running next to a harley with my window open, and could'nt hear my engine revs due to the harley. :) Could only feel it cut out a bit. Don't know what it would translate to in 5th gear. I generally don't like to take it above 6000 rpm, just because I think it's got to be hard on it.

Still enjoying the car a lot!

Ken
  • Options
    Thanks again for the intercooler screen. I still have it as well, and it has worked quite well!

Yeah, I am still driving the '02. It still brings a grin to my face every time I drive it.

The only modifications I have really made are with buying new rims, getting 17" Enkies. These were relatively light, and have increased road feel, while still giving a decent ride.

In terms of acceleration, the car does like to be revved. The car is very strong above 5000 rpms, but is still fine around 3000 rpms. I have bounced the needle off the rev limiter a handful of times, by accident, but you do not have to to get the best performance out of the car.

How about you?
  • Options
    I don't have the need to drive at the limits of the WRX either, however something came to light over this whole thing. It appears my son-in-law, who is in his mid 20's had my WRX for a day last summer while I borrowed his truck, he has confessed to driving my car at 130 mph, "to see what it would do"

he only said 130, he didn't say yet whether it had anything left. Not that I care that he drove the car that fast so much, but I am a bit disappointed in him, in that he took such a chance with his life, after all, he is married to my daughter, and they have a very young daughter of their own to take care of. I'm disappointed that he let his testosterone overcome his good sense. Not to mention that they couldn't afford the ticket had he got caught. I expect it will be a cold day in *%$#, before he drives it by himself again. :)

Anyway, I haven't made any modifications to mine either. I think it's GREAT just the way it is.

Ken
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    should never ever visit Germany.

Unrestricted part of Autobahn will kill you just because you drive on it.

I always thought that it is not high speed that kills you but sudden change of speed.

Krzys
  • Options
    You are absolutely correct. It's not the speed, it's that darn sudden stop at the tree. Of course a lot of flipping and rolling over isn't good either.

Don't the Autobahn have rules though, against drinking, eating, applying makeup, and talking on the phone, while driving on it?

Americans couldn't stand for rules like that, we have rights you know. :) Hmmm, maybe that's why we don't have an Autobahn. Go figure! :)

Can you imagine how many body bags we would need if all our big top heavy SUV's were out there running more than 100 mph. Most of them think they are indestructable sports cars the way it is.

Ken
  • Options
    You raise a good point. I've driven on the Autobahn at triple digit speeds. I'm not sure how it compares to the US statistically, but the Germans take their driving much more seriously than we do in the US. They stay out of the left lane except for passing, they don't tailgate, (without slow drivers in the left lane, there's no need), and they slow down to the speed limit in construction zones. The road surface is unbelievably smooth compared to the average US highway. On top of that, with the crazy fuel taxes, people tend to drive smaller cars with smaller displacement engines. Not too many SUV's on the road over there.

If the Germans drove like Americans on the autobahn, it would indeed be a much more dangerous place.

Having said that, I really wish I'd had my WRX when I was there instead of that 1.6L Ford Mondeo(Contour) wagon that I rented. Still, 145mph is kinda fast even for the autobahn unless it's late at night.
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Do you imagine people buying so many SUVs if they could drive much faster on US highways ?

Vehicles with brick aerodynamics would have not sold that well at all.

Raise the speed and SUVs will disappear is my message. It is much more comfortable to cruise at 100MPH in a car than SUV, not to mention safer.

CAFE and double nickel are sources of SUV explosion.

Good intentions are dangerous. The road to hell is paved with them.

Krzys

PS Makeup and driving in heavy traffic or driving fast and being busy with a phone should land you in jail, at least for a day.
  • Options
    Driving that fast is only appropriate for the track ( a controlled environment) and nothing else. There would be too big a difference in speed between your car and a car going the speedlimit, that it would be worse than a car parked in the left-hand lane!!!!

I was just stating earlier that it could be possible to hit 145 mph with a standard WRX. Not that someone should find out on public roads. This was one of the many many reasons the Merkurs failed (high top speed - could hit 150 mph with the Scorpio, poor acceleration). US roads reward 0-60 and 5-60 acceleration vs. top speed.

One final note. I guess I am surprised by your son-in-law that he even told you, not just that he hit 130 mph with your car.
  • Options
    I disagree. Maybe in your neck of the woods, but around here I see most SUVs doing 80-90+ w/o issue.

-mike
  • Options
    Don't forget that most speedos are often off by a good percent 1-2% maybe more, so over 100, you are looking at 2-5mph difference.

Nothing like going from 3-4 at 125mph :) SVX upshifts from 3rd to 4th at 125 :)

-mike

*Done on the track in a controlled environement
  • Options
    :p
  • Options
    alex888alex888 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a difference in the gearing of the automatic transmissions offered in the 2.5 impreza and the WRX impreza? Will an automatic trans R/S rev the same as the WRX at the same highway speeds or are the transmissions truly geared differently?. I do a lot of highway driving and if there is no difference in the gearing i see no real need to buy the WRX. Cannot buy a manual on account of the wife, thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    meccamecca Member Posts: 1
    Why did the '05 wrx have worse than average resale value?
  • Options
    Did it? I think it got 3/5 stars, i.e. average. I have a link but that's at work.

-juice
  • Options
    bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    Next weekend, that'll be; I'll have ~46K on the clock. As cool today as it was the day I fired it up for the first time. To celebrate I'ma take it to a salon for the day, get it professionally detailed.

DjB
  • Options
    silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    I am seriously thinking of getting an '05 WRX sedan, and trading in my 5 year old Solara. One dealer offers $23,500 (w/out my trade-in) includes Premium package. I live in central New Jersey, and don't plan on any mods as my racing days are over. Do you guys think this is a fair price? also, how are you guys handling paying for premium gas?
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Check out the new vehicles pricing section here on Edmunds to compare invoice price and market value. I'm not sure what they're going for.

I think there is cash back on WRX's right now. Rumor is that the 2.5L turbo is going in to the '06 WRX (not to make it worse for you).
    Over the long term, premium isn't a lot more money.

I'm in Central NJ too. Northern Middlesex county.

-Dennis
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I reckon it costs me about $12 a month for the price difference of premium. That's running 94, and it would be less if I just used 92 which is perfectly fine for the WRX. Don't think twice about it.
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Actually the WRX gets very good mileage for a car of its horsepower. I owned a 2002 and a 2003. The EPA city estimate was very true with the car 20 mpg. As to highway, I got 27 (the EPA #) here in the midwest but on a trip to Colorado last summer the high altitude driving yielded 30 mpg.
This discussion has been closed.