Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Not really fair to compare a modded car to a stock one. Stock has a warranty.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I bet it will have a lot more grunt off the line -- it's going to be like the Forester XT motor, which was a heck of a lot snappier than the WRX at low RPM (a brute, really). So yeah, I would expect the 06 to feel faster! I doubt it will be much, if any, faster than 02-05 when it comes to raw numbers. Maybe a tenth or two to 60mph.

Craig
    I think it will have better driveability but not necessarily be significantly quicker.

It will likely be less fuel efficient, too, if you're looking for cons. ;)

-juice
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    It will likely be less fuel efficient, too, if you're looking for cons.

That's 2.0 engine's best feature especially in heavy commute traffic we have here in DC area.
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Saw my first '06 WRX Sportwagon today. Similar to the '06 sedans I saw earlier. I'm starting to like the new front more each time I see it, even if it reminds me of Honda/Mazda designs. The new chin spoiler integrates better with the little fog lights. Looks less and less piggy each time I see it. I'm not up on the more recent offerings, but compared to my '02 it appears as though the interior features either a rear ash tray or more likely hidden rear cup holders. The speakers are more prominent. and the fabric inserts are a little different. The new wheels and brakes really look great to me. I hope they work as well as they look. and are standard equipment. Subaru finally responded to our early requests. Kudos! The leather interior on the sedan I saw really looks upscale. Kudos again. I hope the sport wagon will have this option. With kids and dogs, it's great to have a less absorbing surface that can be wiped clean.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    I'm thinking of selling mine (though I don't really want to). With no full-time job yet (back to subbing in school), and the price of gas on an upward spiral...around $2.55 for premium here, and the constant need for the A/C in Florida's 95 degree days 9 months of the year, I need to seriuosly look into something more fuel-efficient (but fun...at least Susan will grant me that!). I'm barely getting 19 -20 mpg around town, which is most of my driving.

I'm thinking about an older GC8 or Legacy GT, Mazda 3, or even a Prius (some much for the fun factor). Any suggestions form you guys...re the GC8, what are the bad years to watch out for, problems, etc.
    Serge
    Watch out for 2001 earlier head gaskets.

But to be honest I don't think the 2.5l will save much gas compared to yours off-boost. ;)

-juice
    juice,
    See my edited original post...Susan's Legacy seems to be getting 25 - 26 mpg around town...it adds up, especially in my financial situation. Life here has been tough the last couple of years...
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Serge, what about a late-model Outback Sport, or Impreza TS/RS sedan or wagon?

Bob
    They are also on the list; there are other issues involved which I will email you about sometime down the road
    Get an insurance quote. Fuel efficient Subies include the OBS, TS, RS, Forester X/XS, Legacy 2.5i, etc.

Some of them get 23/30, with a 16.9 gallon tank you also get a lot of range.

-juice
    Found this over at nabisco...

Thought this would interest a few people. Just found out that Subaru released a bulletin for their ABS system equipped on MY02/03 Impreza WRX 5MT models under the "Customer Satisfaction Program", despite NHTSA rejections of the claim after conducting their tests.

Here's a link to the PDF but you need an STIS subscription to actually download it:
    http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/lit...-35-05&x=38&y=8

Bob
    You'd have to get a seriously older (=depreciated) vehicle to make it a money-saving proposition compared to your current "used" WRX. In selling/trading the WRX, the depreciation would offset your future fuel savings on a different vehicle for several years. Long term, I'd say stick with the WRX and drive it more gently. I could easily get 25+ mpg in my WRX when I drove it gently -- in fact, that was one thing that made it a great commuter car. If you have a turbo gauge, that is a great way to keep the gas mileage up -- basically avoid boost!

Edmunds posted some interesting numbers about the Prius. You'd have to drive the Prius over 400,000 miles before the overall cost of that vehicle dropped below that of a Corolla!! The added upfront cost of the Prius, coupled with the more expensive maintenance, makes it actually cost more than a Corolla over the "normal" lifetime of the car (say less than 100K miles). Even with fuel savings it costs more. The main benefit to the Prius is lower emissions and a feel-good perception. Economically, it's not compelling at all, despite the high MPG. Gives me more respect for the Corolla!

I hear a lot of people grumbling about fuel costs nowadays (including me -- it cost $38 to fill up my OB XT yesterday!) but definitely take everything into account when trying to save money. When it comes to selling/purchasing cars, it's never a money-saving proposition unless you get rid of a car and don't add another one!

Craig
    I think what helped that car tremendously was the EPA mid-size classification. They get away with having it compared to a Camry V6 instead of a Corolla with a 4 banger, some how.

Ford did the same thing with the Escape - they compare to the V6 and say it's "just" $5000 or so more costly, while in fact it's $8000 more than a 4 cylinder Escape, which compares more closely in performance.

-juice
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    Little off topic.

Same situation here but I can/will not give up the wrx...so I just bought an old ugly rustbucket mb diesel and am converting it to run on waste veggie oil....total layout will be ~$1500 plus the extra car on the insurance but fuel is free and less wear on the wrx.
    Hey, that's a cool project -- let us know how it goes. Where do you plan on getting the waste oil -- in other words, what fried food will your car smell like? :-) I would look for oil from a donut shop myself.....

Craig
    And there is a Montgomery Donuts up in Gaithersburg where they make all the local supply of those. Seriously, it smells great anywhere within a mile of that place.

It's on E. Gude Road, Bob you ever been there?

-juice
    I've been on E. Gude Road many times, but I don't know where that is.

Bob
  • equinnequinn Member Posts: 17
    has anyone seen any 06 wrx premiums in the nj philly area?
    The Subie dealer in Flemington NJ said they would have them by today a week ago.
    Click on "Releases" on the left side of the home page. It should be the first story.

http://www.media.subaru.com./

Bob
    Hard to believe Subaru publishes their press releases in an editable Word document. Guess they never heard of PDF!
    Now now, don't get any funnny ideas about editing!
    We'll be seeing an announcement for the WRX "Craig" edition soon, bwah-ha-ha.....
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Am I the only one who has noticed how far off center (to the right) the steering wheel is on the Impreza? I drove a 06 WRX recently and I was surprized to see this. I have noticed this on other cars but never as far off as the Impreza. :(
    Hmm, never noticed this on my 03, but I can't say I've been noticing it on any cars. I know most cars have some sort of offset, but I have never really picked up on it. Then again, my body is probably deformed from all the different cars I drive!

CRaig
    The first gen CR-V's wheel was canted toward the driver at an odd angle.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    The wheel is cocked @ 1 o'clock or the rack is off center to the right?

My wheel is cocked @ 11 o'clock; alignment issue,
    and the rack is ever slightly to the left; same as my OB and OBS.

-Dave
    Dave, I think he was talking about the steering wheel axis being slightly off-center from the driver. In most cars, the steering column is not dead center with the driver's seat -- it's shifted sideways a bit.

Craig
    Ya, the axis, that's what I wanted to describe :)

But I'm noticing to the left on the family subies, WRX, OB, and OBS.
    Haven't check out the latest addition, '05 RS wagon.

-Dave
  • r0ckstarr0ckstar Member Posts: 2
    hey, i'm a new driver and my parents approved buying me an '02 wrx if i do the "research" on it. care to share what you know about it and if you think it's a good car for a kid? :D
    thnx,
    sarah
    Hi Sarah

I hate to burst your bubble, but I really don't think a WRX is a good "beginner's car." Why? Besides being very powerful, the powerband is a bit tricky even for experienced drivers, not to mention "newbies." The new '06 2.5 WRX is easier to drive, but it too is not for beginners, IMO. There have also been some "issues" with '02/03 WRX brakes. Lastly, unless you know the history of the used WRX, it's quite possible it's led a hard life, and you might be in store for some repairs down the road. Many of these cars were bought by younger buyers, and they have run the living daylight out them. So, buyer beware...

Another thing to consider is that most WRXs have 5-speed manual transmissions. The reason for this is the 5-speed so much more fun than the automatic. Because of the light switch-like on/off powerband of the 2.0 WRX, it doesn't make for a good marriage with an automatic. Yes, they are out there, but I'd say less than 10% of WRXs sold are with automatics, so finding one might be tough.

My recommendation would be an '02 or later Impreza TS, RS or Outback Sport. The powerband on those models is very predictable and easy to deal with. They aren't blazing quick like the WRX, but still have very good power. Plus they run on regular gas, whereas the WRX requires premium gas. They also get better gas mileage than a WRX.

BTW, I think you're wise in selecting an AWD Subaru, as they are very safe. I'd just hate to see you get in over your head with a WRX, because it's so easy to drive fast. So I'd say get some experience first on a less intense car, then get a WRX (if you're still interested) in a few years.

Bob
    What Bob said.

It's not an ideal match for new drivers. A lot of WRX have seen an early grave due to inexperienced drivers at the helm unable to control the "Mr. Hyde" they've conjour up within themselves and the car.

-Dave

Oh, also the speeding tickets you can amass. Not a good start for a new driver.
  • audiandbmwfanaudiandbmwfan Member Posts: 1
    Sarah. I've got three points for you. (1) I think you are really smart for looking at the WRX. Aside from the fact that you have to look out for one that's been abused, the rex seems like a great first car. I would be really pleased if my daughter tried to talk me into a WRX rather than an Escalade with 22" spinners. (2) The nay-sayers on this forum are over-rating the car's power. Its really not all that scary to drive because the torque band is up so high. (3) Subarus are very reliable cars. I currently own an Audi A4, but I would never own a german car out of warranty. The rex gives you a great driving experience and should be really dependable, not to mention safe. (Just stay away from WRX's that have been modded and raced.)

Mark S.
    In my experience, the WRX is certainly amongst the most friendly and forgiving sports cars you can buy. The most recent issue of Car and Driver (Sept?) compares the WRX to several other sports cars in the same class, and they make that point as well. When the going gets rough, the WRX is very predictable. Knowing how to predict that, and how to react is another isue. In reality, the WRX is a serious car with a lot of power for the size. It accelerates pretty quickly when the steam builds. You'd better make sure the steering wheel is pointed in the right direction when the turbo kicks in!

I guess I'd say this is a good option as a first sports car, but maybe not as a first car! You really want to be looking for something a little less on the edge. An Impreza 2.5RS is definitely a better option, and it pretty much looks identical to the WRX. It is a little more responsive at low speeds too, and easier to drive. Finally, it should be a couple thousand dollars less, which is a plus. That would be my recommendation.

Good luck!
    Craig
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    I also noticed that there is tilt but no telescope on the '06 WRX steering wheel. I have sort of long arms for my size (or short legs for my arm length?), so I usually move the wheel all the way forward. Unfortunately for me the steering wheel was a little too close when I adjusted the seat for my (short) legs.
    I think you are really smart for looking at the WRX. Aside from the fact that you have to look out for one that's been abused, the rex seems like a great first car. I would be really pleased if my daughter tried to talk me into a WRX rather than an Escalade with 22" spinners. (2) The nay-sayers on this forum are over-rating the car's power. Its really not all that scary to drive because the torque band is up so high.

Mark, how can you say that? We're talking about a person with no or little driving experience. Frankly I think that's a very irresponsible statement, especially coming from a parent.

Bob
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    i would also have to agree that a 2.5 RS is a better choice as a first car; the WRX power is not recommendable to a 1st timer driver, and once you've learned how to drive the RS, you can always upgrade your driving skills via autocross in it. is all-wheel drive your main concern? safety? performance?
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Sorry to sound like the other broken records, but I would also definitely recommend a 2.5RS or even an Impreza L.

My English co-workers are shocked that I'm looking at a 2.5 for my step-daughter. "What? My first car was a 1.6L Fiat Uno (or something like that)!" is what I heard from a couple of people. :D

-Dennis
    When our son turned 16, be got him a (then new) '96 Impreza Outback. 10 years later he still has it. It's got around 140K on it, and haven't regretted the purchase one bit.

Bob
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    I've seen the 2006 WRX STI on the road the other day. I believe it was some guy test driving it since the dealer sticker is still on the window. I don't know how to react well to the STI's new styling, but it does look a little wierd. The front end has the look of Subaru's Tribeca--their new SUV. And it even looks wierder on photos. Although it may look wierd on my part, the performance has been improved. It now as a bigger engine, 2.5 liters, and an improved boost that virtually produces no turbo lag (read it from an article)--something I really noticed on my friend's 2005 WRX. It's the front end that has most of the noticeable changes. The tail end seems to be the same, except for the re-styled tail lamps. I'm just so surprised how fast Subaru redesigned the WRX. I know Hondas and Acuras have noticeable restyling after (at least) 4 years in any of their model line, but Subarus are way shorter than that. With the WRX's new look, it makes my friend's 05 WRX look 4 years old already. :surprise:
    Subaru is in the process of giving all their cars a unified family face, much like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. Once this transformation is complete, the front end styling of all future Subarus will be based on this new look.

Bob
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    I see. Well I guess I just need to adjust to this new look. It's not really that bad. The new look of the WRX looks more aggressive than the old look. I'm just kind of attached the old look that's why I felt wierd looking at the new styling. Anyways, they are good quality cars.
    In a "perfect world" Subaru wants to be identified by their front end styling (like BMW, et al.) and oval star icon (found prominently on the grille and rear deck), and not by the "SUBARU" badge on the rear deck. In fact, only in North America does Subaru still use the SUBARU badge on the rear deck. In all other markets the name SUBARU is nonexistent on the exterior of their cars. Sooner or later that will happen here too.

Bob
  • r0ckstarr0ckstar Member Posts: 2
    i appreciate all of your advice!! i'm really looking for a car with good safety and gas mileage and hey..why lie? i want something that screams "LOOK WHAT MY DADDY BOUGHT ME!!" lol. :D the WRX is really cute and safety seems good. my mom is like, in love with subaru and she was pretty happy that i wanted that car. In response to Mark S., lol my dad has an escalade and trust me they aren't all they're cracked up to be. i'm a shorty and it takes a lot of jumping and climbing for me just to get into the darn thing!

once again thank you all for your advice and i'll look into all your other suggestions. thanks guys!!

sarah
    Your more than welcome Sarah. :) Good luck in your car search. An AWD car like Subaru is a very good choice. As I had said we bought our son a (then) new '96 Impreza Outback when he first got his license, and haven't regretted it one day. I hope you are as lucky as we were.

Bob
    Let us know what you end up getting, OK?

-juice
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more excitement over the latest WRX's. I suspect The latest WRX's will be considerably more satisfying than their already appreciated offerings. I had a chance to drive an '06 STI yesterday, but, ran out of time. BTW, why does Subaru insist on using all upper case letters in their promos and yet all the (ugly and unnecessary) decals on the car read STi?
    STi vs. STI? I think Subaru is in the process of changing the STi (car) to STI (car), whereas STi (Subaru Tecnica International inc., the company) will remain STi. Confused? I know I am...

Bobhttp://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=107124
This discussion has been closed.