Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    go here...and sign up (takes 1 min)

http://www.autoloc.com/powerwire.lasso

that will give you ALL the wiring codes for everything.....either that or just call up a sound shop and they will have a listing. my car was so new when i put in the sound system, i had to whip out a miltimeter, and see what wires drew waht current, then do a battery pop test, consider your self very lucky, it wasn't fun finding what the heck was going on with 11 speakers (WAY too many btw)

• Options
    funny you mentioned that sdmike. i know fuzzy doesn't have this problem, but its like night and day for me with the seats down/up. when there up, u barely feel anything, right under 130db. barely coming from a sound manic's perspective. with the seats down, i get right abover 150db. HUGE difference. HUGE. and my subs are pushed all the way back, and are facing tailights. i know most of the guys did the subs facing cabin and right behind seats. i tried that and it didn;t turn out good results with my equipment for some reason.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    300mlover mounted his basslink in the rear of the trunk because he said it sounded better. I too notice a big difference when I fold the seats down, but I have the unit set for seats up. When the seats are down the bass is overpowering at the medium setting. I took some pictures, and as soon as photopoint starts working I'll post them.
    -M
  • Options
    Here are the pictures of my basslink. Sorry there are none of the install process or wiring.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1620463&a=13418625&f=0&vt=vp

• Options
    phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    whenever i get my car back im gonna have to get one of those things. they sound like a real good deal
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Thanks for the link. Couldn't sign up for some reason. I was wondering how you could hear the music over those bellowing true duals...now I know. Competition sound setup! Av, do you do anything in moderation? LOL :>)
    Well, now I just have to wait for the eBay auction to be finished 7/03 and I will find out if my bid on a BassLink was accepted.
  • Options
    rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    My windows are tinted 35%, the darkest allowed in WA. I wish I could have gone darker, but the installer wouldn't take the responsibility for doing it, even if I signed a waiver. I even offered bribes, but he wouldn't budge!
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I tend to prefer a balanced sound--is the basslink too bassy for a true sound spectrum--how adjustable is the bass using the equilizer--that is, on a real bassy tune, if you turn the bass control way down, is there still heavy bass or can you balance the tone fully from full bass to no bass---
  • Options
    exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Was thinking of getting one myself.

Looks a bit bigger than I was imagining though.

Looks like it ate up half of your passthrough space. However, I'm trying to think of the last time I needed both seatbacks down to carry an object. Gotta decide if it's worth the loss of trunk space to get better bass.

Thanks too for the advice about Goo Gone for getting that bubblegum off the paint. Worked like a charm. Should have thought about that myself, as I already use it for getting off adhesive from paint.
  • Options
    exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Fuzzy,

Although it might be a longshot, I had a similar problem a couple years ago with my SHO. After having the car a year or so, water started leaking into the front passenger footwell after each rain.

Turned out that at the base of the windshield, under the plastic cowl, the drain holes that channel water away from the car had gotten clogged with leaves and other gunk.

The water ended up spilling over into the interior via the fresh air intake in the cowl. I tracked it down by washing the car, noticing that water was dripping (sometimes poring) from the bottom of the dash.

Took off the plastic cowl, cleared away the obstruction, end of problem.
  • Options
    If you are set up like me, which is to have nice filler base with the dash bass control in the middle, you'll find that you can make it sound stock by decreasing the control to about 1/3. You can eliminate it all together by moving the control all the way down. On the other side, you can hop down the road if you go up from the center position. :) It's all about how much gain you have set on the unit. It's VERY easy to adjust to your tastes. You can set the gain, bass boost level, and even the crossover level.

-Mike
  • Options
    a y2k m , could he post it here and on his photo website so we will have an archive--also someone should provide a link on the club site for easy lookup--

I think that should be a members benefit of joining the club--have all mods described in detail with a link on the club member area---Whatdya think Rogor---

by the way, what is the diameter of the speaker in that basslink unit
  • Options
    The basslink is a 10" subwoofer plus a passive radiator. The internal amp is 200 watts.

There are links to mods pages on the club website. Is that what you're talking about? Even though not everyone is listed on the mod page, most members that have mod pages are listed at the bottom of the links page under their real names. For example, there is alink to all my image libraries, including the galleries on my exhaust, spoiler, clockface, etc.

-M
  • Options
    moderation? i can't remember what that means lol ;) if your gonna do anything in life, don't do moderately, give it all you got. (not really relavent for sound system but, it was for me i guess) ;)

i don't hear the end of it from me parents about "when the windows of the house rattle, and your not even on our street yet, its too much, just a little overdoing it son"

if its a house, yea sure there up for it, but they don;t like all this for the car. me and my dad got some wicked stuff in the house, intercoms in every room wired in to central unit. unfortunately he wired the central unit into his own room, so he can hear what we're doing, lol. and its also tapped into the phones. we're working on voice activation right now. just for lights and some other stuff. imagine walking into our house...."lights" and they turn on. so the point is...it must be genetic, blame my dad for handing down the "over doing it" gene...haha
  • Options
    300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    Stangspankinm- The idea of the four(two front speakers and two rear)high level inputs is to eliminate fading out the sub when fading the front or rear speakers.

Easy- the Basslink is a 10" powered woofer with a 10" passive radiator(woofer)on the opposite side

Sdmike- that was one of my reasons for installing in the rear corner. It just plain sounded better. Another reason is it is almost completely out of the way

Av- wow those amps look awesome. I bet people hear you coming a mile away with the duals and those tunes! kudos

My little Basslink
  • Options
    that is an awesome piece of equipment. that much sound and bass from a compact sub, infinity engineered it well. i gave up a lot of trunk space. that well where the 6x9's are, all of that area under there and a hair more is where i push my box back when i need trunk space. still a good bit tho, enough for my ice hockey bag which is all that matters. and that bag is HUGE. anyway, well done on the basslink.
  • Options
    put this on ebay!! 300 owners will go nuts! not many ppl know about the dual setup, or are too afraid of the word "custom". so they will love to get this borla system. costs 500 right? put it up for $375. i bet you that it will sell high, and fast.
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    I've installed the imitaion HID's. It's not that difficult. Per the DC manual, you remove the underhood crossbar bewteen the lights, remove the long bolts, and lean the headlights forward. It took maybe half an hour to forty-five minutes total.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    How much brighter are they? Do they blind oncoming drivers?

I believe that federal regulations for headlights say that they should shine up to illuminate highway signs as well as down at the road. Euro headlights cut off before they shine directly at oncoming traffic.
  • Options
    For the hell of it, I routed a 10 ga wire from the remote battery + terminal through the passenger front sunroof drain grommet, along the bottom edge of the door openings, under the rear seat, and back into the trunk. It is fused at the engine end with a 10ga waterproof 30A max in-line blade fuse soldered to the wire and connector.

I assume that this will suffice for anything I may consider powering/charging in the trunk, audio-wise -- is it?

Where does one buy these Basslinks, again?
  • Options
    how long are the screws you use to hold it down--do they go throughto the underside of the car---are they stainless--are they supplied with unit--any rattling when bass is booming
  • Options
    thats a big question for me too. when u have that bass a boomin, does it make your car sound like a rattle machine?? i dont want that at all
  • Options
    cant you just tap into the power lead for the factory amp---then no wires would be needed to be run from the battery
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    I only drive the car once a month or two, so I don't have any idea how they work. Sorry. I'm going to drive the car in the dark this coming week.
  • Options
    actually has two constant +12, two ground wires, one power-on wire, and a bunch of signal wires. If I was replacing the factory amp, I could see myself using the existing +12 wires, but in general, car manufacturers use as little wire as necessary to power what they put in the car. While I don't mind running an ultrasonic backup alert to my reverse lights, and my glowing NRA logos to my taillights, I wouldn't want to run a major audio component off of any existing wires that are already being used for something.
  • Options
    You only drive your M once a month?
  • Options
    traleytraley Member Posts: 64
    Yeah, I am going to get that alternator rebuild.
    I am definitely putting caps in the system design.
    It's funny, after I bought all this stuff for the audio system, I started having second thoughts.
    Heh, I always do that when I make big purchases. I get to thinking "I don't need this." "I can live without it." Anyway, I am an audiophile. I need the goods!
  • Options
    Av- thanks, I am going to put it on ebay since Pat said I violated TOS! So much for giving everyone here the first shot at it. Oh well
  • Options
    You can get these on Ebay very resonably. These are the people I got mine from

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1251077951

An as far as rattling the M. That was one thing that surprised me the most was that the bass didn't produce any rattling in the cabin or from the outside of the car/trunk. On the other hand like Sdmike mentioned it does vibrate the rearview mirror a lot. Can't hardly see out of it sometimes!

• Options
    I think it is incredibly stupid that we cannot help friends find the best possible deal on items that we all discuse on this board. That's what friendship is all about. I can't wait till the 300M Ethusiast Club gets our own message board. Then we can talk/trade/barter all day and night to help each other out!
  • Options
    What about a classified section on the web page.
  • Options
    Hey Av, keep on livin' large. I could use some of that young dude high energy! Thanks for spicing up the board. Your dad sounds cool. Hockey was unknown to a kid growing up in a small town in coastal TX. Everything was football, and I mean nothing else came close. I've come a long way from cheering on the Goose Creek Ganders. (No, I didn't make that up!)
    Rock on!
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan. Then we can swap parts,etc with each other. The message board is definitely a great idea.
  • Options
    OK, Stang, I understand the wiring code you posted is for 99/00 models. Regarding the BassLink,I want to hook up the front speaker high level as well as the rear, cause I like to play with the fade. Sometime the kids in the back want the music faded all the way front. Do you also have the wire color codes, and would you be so kind as to post them? Thanks in advance.
    Silver.
  • Options
    sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    I come from a background of high end home stereo/theater equipment but maybe I'm confused as to why the basslink is necessary in the 300M. The upgraded factory Infinity system I opted for seems more than adequate for my needs. The amount of clear bass it generates is more than enough to wobble the rear view mirror and shake the hell out of the rear window. I love high power systems don't get me wrong but as far as I can tell the basslink's only real purpose is to make sure you are heard from the outside while you are rolling down the street.
  • Options
    hey phases, no matter what you do sound wise, this car will never be a rattle machine. theres some bad horror stories, and you've heard my setup right? could u even feel it when u were in front of me? anyway in the car everything is moving, but no rattles. the car is solid. its one of teh best things about this car. actually there was one rattle with teh bass...my brain
  • Options
    Ha, u know what AV. Before my system was stolen, my bass had shook my rear view loose to the point where it fell off. (no joke) Just tightened it back up. Other than that one incident, all was well.
  • Options
    hey man, differing minds make differing bass. i know traley and some others will agree, the upgraded infinity sound sys, sucks. yea its loud, but the imaging could not be worse. theres distorition on the high frequencies all throughout the back. and that center channel i wanted to rip out, which i eventually did. 11 speakers is way too much. think about one tiny amp trying to get all that power to 11 locations in a split second, its doesn't happen. its hard to do that with a $1000 dollar amp, let alone a 360watt multi infinity. the infinity upgraded sys IS probably the best stock system i've heard, but in no way is it adequate for me. for my grandpa yea sure, not for me.
  • Options
    AHAHAHAHA, omg, same here!! i never posted it because i know i would get looks from people, you know it a hella lot when the rear view mirror falls off. yea its just held by a torx screw. and man does that thing move. i can get mine to move over 2 inches. its nuts. but it fell off a long time ago, like when i first got the system. and then it fell off 2 weeks ago. i was like.."ahhhhhhhhh" then i posted it up in this sound forum (www.elitecaraudio.com) seeing if there was anything i could do to prevent this. i got like 40 replies, and they were all like..."now you KNOW you got a sweet system..."
    "hell yea, keep it bump'in"
    lol, so i was like, ummmm...ok. that was really the only thing tho. not even the headliner, back rack, seat buckles, dash, steering column, shifter, nothing rattles, i love it. then when i put in the dynamat, its just like superman, solid as can be. but the trunk lid moves like crazy. ask phases or tnsc, it really shakes a lot when bass is hitting.
  • Options
    I've thought about that. It depends a lot on how much web site effort would be involved to maintain this sort of thing. I can't ask the webmaster(s) to take on more than they can handle. If we can somehow automate the advertisement posting it might be do-able. I will look into it though.
  • Options
    even for you guys with teh basslink, the license plate frame will rattle your ears off, cuz there are only two screws. take that off, and put two screws on teh bottom. or else it will just keep hitting the plate and rattle like a mofo.
  • Options
    Did you replace your factory amp?
    I am planning on putting the fronts with 100 watts each (another amp) and letting the factory run the rears.
  • Options
    Here's where I got mine. It's the full retail packaged product. This is just one of several auctions for them. Search on "infinity basslink" to get the rest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1251567859
  • Options
    Don't confuse Sound Quality (SQ) with Sound Pressure Level (SPL).
    Sound quality is very subjective, and very much a personal taste thing. If you think the Infinity system sounds great, congratulations. You just saved hundreds of dollars on an upgrade. I personally think it sounds fine on strings (chamber music, etc), but on any program with low bass, my 11 speaker system sounds distorted, muddy at any volume level. I am waiting on my bid at eBay to clear on a BassLink to see if that will solve the SQ problem. I will test it with some Bonnie Raitt (Are you ready for...) and some Virgil Fox organ stuff that will really crank it up. Can't wait!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I understand what you are saying - I don't create the policies here, though. Feel free to provide your feedback via the Online Support link on the left sidebar of the page.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    i agree with u, why shouldnt your friends get first dibs?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just fyi, the former "Terms of Use" have been revised. It might be a good idea for folks to review the new "Member Agreement" because some things have changed, and some things are more clearly defined.

You will find the link on the left sidebar of this page (and all Town Hall pages).

Any comments or feedback may be provided by using the Online Support link that appears just above the link to the Member Agreement.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    thanks 300mlover!
  • Options
    I've never read the old one -- why would I read the new one?
  • Options
    LOL!