Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Not only has mine never slid on its own, but I can't even slide it around by pushing it with my hands. I'm wondering if the folks experiencing this problem maybe have '99's and maybe the floor mats weren't covered on the bottom with pointy rubber nibs???? On my '00, those nibs really dig into the carpet, and there's no sliding at all.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    never had a problem with the mat either---I did have the problem in my Mark8 but never in this car---
  • Options
    phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    i agree.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I originally had the stereo line level output connected to its line level input, but it seems to sound better connecting the stereo line level output to its speaker level input.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    My 99 has never had a problem with any of the mats. As mentioned earler the nubs really dig into the floor carpeting, once it is down is stays put. I think the 99 are (undeserving)getting a bad rap. I am glad to have a 99 (before DC started taking short cuts with it).
  • Options
    Did you take some pictures of the ladies at the Monterey meet? The two (my sister and mother) that went with me keep asking? Please post so that I can show them, they want to be in pictures, I guess.
    Thanks, Michael
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
  • Options
    Gold trim. Found the same stuff in chrome. It is Trim Brite part # T3605C chrome and available for about $9 at Autozone and probably other parts stores.
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    So the parts store left out the speed :)

The correct names are input speed sensor, & output speed sensor. There are 2 different ones. On mine they replaced both. I don't think it's the tranny. You were able to correct the problem once by disconnecting the battery. That, & since 300M's have faulty speed sensors, I wouldn't worry too much. If it is a tranny problem, then you'll get a new one. Either way, it's covered with the warranty.
  • Options
    Thanks for the part #. How much did you need to cover yours?
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I called my local modshop here and asked them about the new Borla exhaust. They didn't list it.(which is no surprise since you got it before it was 'available') Then they called Borla directly and spoke to a tech, he said there is no Borla part#14835H, only the 'F'. So I was told I was out of luck. Do you know anyone that can get this part??? I live in Dayton, so I'm not far from you.
  • Options
    Anyone else get Autoweek? Well, on Friday's issue they had a small ad about the upcoming 2002 Special 300M. Get this, they claim it's only going to have 255hp! That's a huge disappointment for anyone waiting for it. They said it goes into production in November and in addition to measly Hp upgrade it has the extended f&r airdams, side skirts, lowered slightly to give it a better drag co-efficient, performance brakes&handling(I assume it's just the PH group my 2001 has), dual exhaust outlets, and 18" rims. So once again, it looks as if the "speical" M won't be so special afterall. There is a small picture of it in the magazine if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I posted one additional photo; it's not the best, so if Roger has a better one and can send it to me . . . . Didn't mean to knock '99's; just wondering if there might have been a floor mat change, but I guess not.
  • Options
    rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    I have no problems at all with my mats sliding, at least not the drivers mat.

What pic did you want from me? I think I missed the thread.
  • Options
    avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    is you pick up any Super Street mag, or Sport Compact, there are huge listing of applications for springs, coilovers, exhaust systems, etc. the borla is old. i remember seeing it in there over a year ago. it says 300m rigth there and then it lists like 15 exhaust companies, we gotta check under borla. u can buy direct from them or better buy online and save some cash. i'll look for some places online...
  • Options
    One box had a 20' coil of material. I have about 3' left over so it will do all the horizontal areas with no problem. P.S. If you can't find it I can get a box and mail it to you.
  • Options
    Otto and Russ Klass--You are right on the heated outside mirrors on the 99M. I looked at my copy of the original window sticker, and also the dealer's sales brochure for the 99, and sure enough, it says the heated mirrors are standard. However, there are no switches to turn them on, and no information whatsoever in the owner's manual [that I could find] referencing this feature. Not even in the fuse section where I figured it would be mentioned under one of the many fuses listed. On the wife's old 96 Aurora there were wavy lines on the mirror itself which would indicate when heat was on, but I have seen nothing on my 99 to indicate either that they were heated or they were "on." Russ-when do they engage according to your book?
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I'm not 100% certain, but I belive the heated mirrors come on at the same time as the rear window defroster. There is no mention of this in my 99LHS Owner's Manual, however.
  • Options
    alg528alg528 Member Posts: 18
    They come on when the rear defroster is turned on.
  • Options
    I called Borla myself this morning and spoke with two different people. They both said there is no such part,(ending in H), available or even in the works to be made. I told them about the email sirharpster sent to everyone and they kept saying there isn't, nor will there be any such part with annular rings and quick release available. Shawn, from Borla, said the system is already modular so why would they make a 'quick release' option. So someone either customized that exhaust he got OR it is Borla's best kept secret about an upcoming new release.(even to their own employees)
  • Options
    tnsc_300mtnsc_300m Member Posts: 76
    If you go by your 5* or I guess any Chrysler dealer they should have the 2002 300M brochure available which prominently list info and pics about the 02 Special. yes, sadly 255 HP is all thats listed as well as tuned up suspension and gearing.
    check post#8067 (8485) for a little more detail.
    November looks like the announced dates for beginning of production.
    Otto, will let us know when he sees 'em.

tnsc_300m
  • Options
    That's the first time I heard "gearing" used. Wonder if those 2.7L gears are what's being put in??
  • Options
    i'm looking at this months Sport compact right now and there is a listing for the 98'up chrysler 300m / borla catback exhaust system...$529.99

in the new super street, same thing. its in all my mags. this is odd. i'm gonna scan this in...
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Hey Roger, it seems like the roster is stuck on 156 members. That's only about 3 per state. Is it time for a concerted membership drive? Whaddaya think. How could anyone that has this car not want to be involved with it(not romanticly)??? I guess we just keep putting the wiper cards on and talk it up. We should have at least 300MMMMembers. Rick
  • Options
    Dude,I know that Borla makes a catback sys for the M. What I called them about today was concerning yet a newer system that 300M owner sirharper received from them last week for a replacement of the one they currently advertise. That's why I was perplexed that they deny of any doing when I spoke with them(Borla) today. They told me they only offer one catback system for the 98-00 M's(2001 works too), and that there are no plans for making a newer version of it. So I guess sirharper got a 'one-of-a-kind' version from Borla when they damaged the first one he got.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    On page 52 0f the '01 owners manual it atates that the heated outsise mirrors are activated whenever the rear defroster is turned on.
    I don't remember if this info was in the manual for my '99.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    For 5 HP why bother, eapecially if it requires premium fuel.
    The brakes, however, sound pretty good. They supposedly feature larger rotors and four piston calipers.
  • Options
    sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    Well its been 2 weeks since my 5* dealer installed the Borla exhaust part#14835F. And I love it it has made a noticeably difference. It is quicker off the line. And I have no way of checking but it feels much quicker in 0 to 60 times. I also noticed a slight improvement in gas mileage maybe 1 mpg. I already had installed a K&N filter last year. I have over 59,000 miles.
    And love the car. Was thinking about the 300m special but with only a 2 HP increase I think I will just keep Goldie another year or two.
    Happy motoring
    sel714
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Stopped in at my local DC dealer and had a glance at a 2002 Silver M which was butted against a 2001 Silver M and the sales staff did not know it was there. Again not much difference from what some of you have seen or heard from Auto. I did notice that this car was probably equipped with the tire pressure unit as the valve stems were different and were silver coloured. I also noted that the leather seating did not have the perforations in the seat and back that the 2001's have, I'm not sure what difference it makes. I also noted that the wheels looked the same as the 2001's but the center hub was flat, which is different from mine which is curved. It would make it easier to put those DC center caps on.The Chrysler writing was missing from the sides and only on the trunk. I did not ask for a price as it was so new.
  • Options
    sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    The catalog and the website still list the old part. They are waiting until distribution sells out first. I only got mine since the one that was first shipped was damaged and Borla direct had only the new model!
  • Options
    Again, you must of got real lucky. I spoke to Borla earlier today, they don't have a clue that a new system is in the works.(by R&D I assume) I guess if I want one I'll have to wait. Which also may be a reason they aren't telling anyone. They want to sell the old ones first!
  • Options
    My guess is they knew just wern't talking!
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Hey someone out there has both a 99 and a 2001 M, so please do us a favor. Please look at your floor mats and compare. Is the 2000+ mat different in that it has features to fix the slippage problem?

If so, I guess I need to order a 2001 front mat set along with the Daytime Running Light module I was planning for.
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    2002 Special - well I guess we can all scratch HP as a potential reason to buy a Special. The tires pressure system and the true HID lighting are the only other attractions (although we can all get the SmartTire System from TireRack for a little over $200.) I don't think anyone is going to buy one for the side skirts and 2-tone seats!!

Mats - the driver's side Mat on my 99 has never slipped.
  • Options
    oh ok i thought you meant you called and there was no part, period. thats an all stainless system right?
  • Options
    Yep, it's all stainless. (which is really only important to us northerners)It sounds like the main advantage to getting this 'new and upcoming' catback sys will be the fact that it comes from the factory with a much lower noise factor in the cabin.(according to sirharper) That's really what's appealing to me, 'cause the noise should be coming out the back of the car and not the middle. Right? It seems that most M owners who have bought a new exhaust have installed venturi's to quiet the droning at 2-3k rpm. What's cool is that the new sys will already come with'em.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Well got some info .We are supposed to build a pre-production 300 special Tuesday. I will let you all know how it goes. Yes the bad news is the regular 300 H.O motor with the 255 H.P using premium gas will be used.
  • Options
    I didn't realize the special was going to have HID lights. That I wish I had. To add that is costly, at least the last time I priced it for a Maxima. The tire pressure thing is no big deal. As far as the floor mat thing. My 2001 mats don't move. They are anchored in the front with a hook under the seat like my previous Nissan was. Works great.
  • Options
    The noise is supposedly reduced although I have nothing to compare it too it is well within tolerance for my taste. The sound is very powerful and pleasant to me actually.

Note to cmyers330m: You may consider getting the one they have to sell you now and saving the additional $250. The only really new feature is the quick detach/interchange muffler which you will not use unless you race and want to spend an additional $300 for a Borla "sportsman" muffler.
  • Options
    Hey, is there a difference if I put premium gas in my M as compared to the 2002 special M? I mean, is that the only difference in the HP gain? Just curious.
  • Options
    Well, I'm still not sure on the single/or dual exhaust yet. Many guys have the duals, although I've always liked Borla systems. The possibility of a new and/or improved version intrigued me. Whenever I get the time to install one, and make up my mind on what I want, I'll just do it. Should be soon, since summer chaos is close to an end at work and home(with kids going back to school).
  • Options
    phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    actually, its not good for this car to have premium, and no, no hp gains, from what i understand..
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Oops...I never put anything less than 93 octane in my M! No probs...don't have anything to compare it to though. 93 octane worked worked wonders in my Neon and Sebring JXi!
  • Options
    Well, when I had my Maxima it required premium and I hated the fact it HAD to run on it and no less. That's one(of the many) reasons I liked the 300M, it only said to use 89oct. In fact, if I remember correctly it said you could use 87oct but not for long periods of time. I guess I just got tired of using the most expensive gas all the time, especially when it topped 2.00/gal. I'm all for using premium if it will make a true performance difference. But if they say don't use it, cool by me.
  • Options
    mrv2mrv2 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone ever thought about installing larger rear tires? I mean larger overall diameter not just larger wheels and lower profile tires. It seems that the car would look better if the rear wheel wells were filled more. I don't think the speedometer would be affected - the only drawback I can see would be that you couldn't rotate the tires front to back.
  • Options
    The other disavantage is if the tires are directional you can't rotate them at all, besides you can't go with too much larger tire diameter because of th strut towers.
  • Options
    I was asking you, or denverm, if they had a picture of the ladies that were present at the Monterey Meet.
  • Options
    I was pouring over the new 2002 borchure. Things I like. Front skirt, HID headlamps, Tire pressure meter. Side mirrors.
    Did not like. +2HP gain over my 99 (when it was stock) side skirts (they call those side skirts), dual exhausts (single pipes OOOOOHHHH NOOOOOO!!!).
    I will be keeping my 99 for a few more years at least. I am glad I didn't wait to start modding out my M.
  • Options
    mrv2mrv2 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone ever thought about installing larger rear tires? I mean larger overall diameter not just larger wheels and lower profile tires. It seems that the car would look better if the rear wheel wells were filled more. I don't think the speedometer would be affected - the only drawback I can see would be that you couldn't rotate the tires front to back.