Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    I'm putting a deposit down tomorrow on a fully loaded Bright Silver Metallic 300M "Special" to be delivered around the 10th of December. Are we excited? Hell Yeah!
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    It is a bit smaller, 1:18 scale. A little older, 1956 B model 300. and is stone white in color.
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Moparlover - I think you really are dreaming if you want DC to fix paint chips and window motors out of warranty! As for water pumps, in over a year on this board I don't recall reading any posts of any failures on an M.
    Brakes - I think the M's brakes are great! (I have PHG). I drive enthusiastically, and I've had plenty of occasions to apply them hard (yeah, I'm the guy who had new front pads at 23K), and I've never felt I needed more stopping power. My big concern in sudden stops is looking in the rear view mirror to make sure I take it easy enough to give the guy behind me enough room for HIM to stop!
    300michael- My son wants Christmas lights in his car; where did you get them?
    Special - If I was buying an M today, I'd get a Special. Sounds like the package is worth the money, even though some (not all) of the extras can be added aftermarket.
  • Options
    in 25 minuets.
  • Options
    I saw a 99 300M in the parking lot today, so I had to stop and talk to the owner who was waiting for his wife. It turned out he owned a C300, which they got in 1954. Helped him out with the tire (goodyear) problems and window motor problems. I gave him the cards to the club site. Basicly he bought the 300M because he always liked the 300 series cars in the past and had to own the newest redition of it.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I had no problem with my 1999 PHG brakes. They were easy to modulate. And I had to stomp on them a few times in emergency and they did very well. The only thing is that the rotors warped and I was too lazy to do anything about it, but that was near the end of the lease anyway.

Actually, my exit from the highway does not have a real exit ramp (it is a very uncivilized highway that runs through the everglades). The ramp is mor like a 20-foot pocket. I used to haul a55 on that highway and never missed the exit because of the brakes.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Wasn't it you that fixed his warped rotor problem by slamming on his brakes in an emergency stop? lol!
  • Options
    I think this has a nice ring to it. It's feasible for us in SoCal, Phoenix, Utah and even Colorado (if you don't mind a full day drive). In the winter time we can get decent room rates, and there are lots of big parking lots with pretty lights that will make our Ms look cool at night. Hell...what better place to "cruise" than the strip? :) I'll order a couple extra bottles of Z6 for the weekend! With my pending unemployment on the horizon I've decided to take January and February off to finish projects around the house, lose 20 more lbs, help out at my kid's schools and take the longest vacation of my adult life. I think in the middle of that I can help arrange a Vegas meet (I know Roger had talked about it a while back too). I'm thinking of maybe getting together early afternoon on a Saturday and continuing the meet through dinner and into a nightime cruise. On Sunday morning I'll likely go mountain biking in the desert, so anyone who has ever had the urge to do so can join in! And the best part is, by late January my wife will WANT me out of the house for a few days! lol!
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    COOL , I really think you will like this car. Are you getting one that has allready been built for the dealer? Like I said before get the last 6 digits of the vin .
  • Options
    no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    sd2mike, I also balked at the idea of buying a used 300M for precisely the reason you stated... I'm leery about the prior owners' unknown treatment of the car. But while I'm not confusing DC with Lexus, I'm a recent convert to Certified cars... we've had unsurpassable service with our Certified Lexus ES300, and DC's program has features in common, like the loaner car if your own ride has to be kept by the dealership. In spite of the present incentives, I'm "content" to wait even till next November if need be; we have 4 vehicles now and there is no urgency to get the 300M today, and I can tide over on Dollar rentals for the nonce. The incentives MIGHT be gone later, but with the economy's forecast I don't really think so. If I wait a bit, I might even be swayed by the 300N, the Crossfire (just beautiful on the outside IMHO), or even the Chronos if it makes an appearance. My "worst" case scenario is buy an unspoiled 2002 300M, and even if the economy magically becomes rosy and there are no incentives I would still likely buy one. Chrysler may not be at the top in reliability, but IMHO with proper care, maintenance and repair cars in general will last 10+ years; cars built in the 70s, 80s, and 90s can last that long if you treat it right (barring lemons or buying abused goods). I've got 226,000+ miles on my Trooper and 135,000+ miles on my Festiva (both currently in service) and they aren't exactly paragons of reliability either. I was going to get a reliable $19,000 car but I can always get that one used when the Festiva croaks some distant time in the future. If I get my precious 300M I hope the club is still around, sounds like fun.
  • Options
    You can get all 4 17" chromies for under $1000 immediately at this auction. Whoever was looking for the chromies...here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=598531376

• Options
    This was a dealer ordered "Special". He ordered 2. A Sapphire Blue one and the Silver one. The Dealer already has the vin and I'll know what it is tonight when I plop down my down payment on the car.
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    I would love to meet in LV - though even if it was possible, I'd have to leave the M at home ;)

Used - I was trying to say - I used to be very leary of used, especially american, however I've been considering it much more, and will probably go that route next time round. A car that's 1-2 yo w/o a lot of miles can be had for very little money. As compared to the Acura - we checked out used TLs a couple months ago. They wanted, for a 99 w/20k mi about $27k. Only $2k less than a new one. Go figure...

More than likely I will trade the M eventually - for a younger one :D
  • Options
    OK, click on my username and email it to me. Do not post the vin on this site.
  • Options
    yeah, slamming on the brakes fixed the warp vibration for a while, but then they came back.
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    (almost..)!

denverm: Christmas lights: my daughter had battery-operated lights in her VW Jetta. I think she got them at some Christmas decoration/tree store. Also, I sent you email leting you know I updated the scrolling message on the home page, and updated the MemberOdometer TEXT. If you want, send me the graphic files for rotating the speedometer needle and I'll give it a shot. Have been very busy with several sites-Bank-related and 'external' . Membership package assembly is moving along--will be sending out 3 more tomorrow morning.

brakes: I hadn't really noticed just how 'soft' the 300m's brakes were till I had to move my youngest daughter's 2001 Jetta. When backing out of the driveway, I hit the brakes which snapped my noggin pretty good! Very quick stopping and firm to the feel.

blonda: Nice to see a member of the fairer sex posting here as an owner! flagrant plug for the 300m Club follows..I'd like to suggest you visit our club website and take a look around and consider joining our band of merry men and women! end of flagrant plug for the 300m Club.

300m toy cars, etc.. some one here was looking for a model 300m. I have emailed most major manufacturers of 'toy' cars (Hotwheels, Corgi, etc...). Seems they have 'older Chryslers and PT Cruiser, but no 300ms-yet... just an FYI from drpixel

Doc

• Options
    mbrown15mbrown15 Member Posts: 10
    FYI

I started a topic thread on the 300M Club board to discuss a potential Vegas meet.

http://pub88.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm3.showMessage?topicID=12.topic
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I know what you mean about daughters getting their way with Dad. My 16 year old is a 3 year veteran (State Champion) on the debate team, and I don't win many family debates. She is "often wrong, but never in doubt." I am very proud of here however, and think that her Ann Rand toughness will serve her well in a Law career.

sdmike-last week I was wearing shorts, today it is snowing in Dallas. That is the crystalline form of water that you see on the national weather reports. You may have seen it there. It is caused by cold weather. To experience "cold", go to your kitchen freezer and stick your arm in. By the way, I believe most mufflers rust from internal condensation caused by short trips, rather than wet streets. Sounds like we are both finding too much time on our hands. I am going to see the owner of a real estate appraisal firm today and see if I can get out of the moribund telecommunications equipment sales business. Good luck to you.

Silver
  • Options
    There's room in Big Red for ya. :)
  • Options
    Don't you need a converter to turn the 12V DC to 120V AC? I seem to remember these being pretty pricey at Radio Shack...on the upwards of $75 or so. Too rich for just putting xmas lights on the car.
  • Options
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1303705954

(however, I just bought this one. There are others)
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    The Chrysler dealer called me today. He informed me that the first specials will be arriving around December 15th. Reminding me I was on the short waiting list. I was the first, now it had a wopping 3 people. He said he couldn't give pricing yet. Or deals of anykind. He did say that a lease would have a better deal. I told him to leave me on the list untill it comes in. I'll then decide if I want it. I don't think I will take it, but hey.........
  • Options
    dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    I was about to close a deal (enroute) on a Maxima SE, when driving by a Chrysler dealer. I noticed a 300m out front. I looked it over..very nice 2001 model Sticker was 32 and some change. I was amazed when dealer offered it to me for $25,800. over $6,200 of sticker. He said it is dealer incentive cash to move 2001's($4,000 of it any way). My question is how long term reliable are they. Is the acceleration as good as the Maxima , what ever you guys(gals?) can tell me thank you.
  • Options
    The Maxima is faster. The 300M is a lot better looking, bigger, and more luxurious. They're two very different cars. Drive both and see what you like the best. Compare your dealer's price to what you can get at www.carsdirect.com. He should be able to beat carsdirect by $500 or more. That will give you an idea of how good the deal is. My local dealers (San Diego) are offering '01 300Ms for over $7,000 off MSRP, so obviously there are a bunch of incentives. Also, do yourself a favor and do some reading at www.carbuyingtips.com. It will help you get the best deal. It helped me a ton.

-M
  • Options
    Drive a 300M with the Performance Handling Group option if possible. Might be the best $500 you ever spend on an option (in my opinion)
  • Options
    mmcccmmmcccm Member Posts: 19
    I was considering buying a (2000) Maxima SE with manual trans (which was/is hard to find at most dealerships), but decided to go with the 300M instead. I haven't regretted my choice at all, though I still wish the 300M was available with a "real" manual transmission.

That aside, the 300M is a lot roomier, more luxurious and (IMO) a lot better looking than the Maxima. These were all factors in my decision. The 2002 Maximas now have 255 HP, compared to 222 in 2000, and should be quicker than the 300M. If I were buying today, though, I'd still choose the M over the Max. JM2C...
  • Options
    No one has talked about reliabilty. I am looking to own long term. How reliable are chrylser products (mainly 300M). How is initial qaulity. Again thank you very much for your input!!! I am not just talking about warranty. A warranty will save you money but heck what good is a warranty that is always being used.
  • Options
    Consumer Reports gives the car high marks for reliability. I think the overall concensus here is that the car has few problems, especially with the newer models (once they got a couple of things worked out). Like any model, however, there will be bad apples in the group...and some posters have had a couple of them too! :)

The 99 seemed to have a higher-than-expected incident rate with window motors, and the Goodyear tires didn't hold up very well. Some other common ailments are a failed body control module that causes a "light show" with the interior controls, failure of a transmission sensor that causes the car to go into "limp home" mode, and one or two other things that I'm probably forgetting. None of them are a big deal or seem to indicate an overall build or quality issue in my opinion. Like I said, CU had nice things to say about the car.
  • Options
    mmcccmmmcccm Member Posts: 19
    ...seems high for most of the folks who post here. There have been a couple of people in this group who seemed to have way more than their share of (mostly minor) problems, but most here have had little or no problems. I've had mine for 15 months, and it hasn't been in the shop for anything but routine maintenance - no problems for me so far.
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    My 2000 M is my first ever DC product. It is very reliable. Have not had any warranty visits other than Goodyear tires which are now history. Love this car. Plus you can use regular gas.
    Geezer300M
  • Options
    sdmike - I might take you up on that. If airfares get low ;)

New M - go for it, I'm not biased! :D So far it's been great, though I've only had it a year w/18k mi. My 98 concorde had problems and that I wasn't happy about, but so far this has been great. It has a few minor common problems - the steering wheel is known to peel, seat has a tsb on a bracket - it shifts sometimes. But all in all, only minor stuff. It's a great car! Not a sports car, but a very sporty luxury car.
  • Options
    hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    I used to drive my dad's 5 series BMWs, so I like 4 door sport sedans. I, too, was going back and forth between the Maxima and the 300M. I am glad I went with the 300M. I think it is a much cooler car. I have had it for a year/17000 miles now and other than one problem with the climate control (which got fixed under warranty) I have had no major problems with the car. It's such a joy to drive. Especially on long trips (where you will appreciate the width of the cabin). And I like the "American" styling of it. Very unique. Its V6 has a nice feel to it. As the tester of the Boston Globe wrote:

"But what struck me most about this Chrysler 300M was the engine. I try not to read any of the specs on a car before I drive it, and after my first spin in this one, had anyone asked me to guess on the engine, I would have said, ``Nice and quiet little V8.'' When I looked and saw the V6, I was pleasantly surprised."
  • Options
  • Options
    I just gave my dealer a deposit on the "Special". Now the wait begins... Take good care of my baby...
  • Options
    it would be very cool if otto could take a couple of digital pictures of your car on the line. heh
  • Options
    dubbeddubbed Member Posts: 33
    i am actually looking to sell my stock wheels. there are 4 17" chrome razorstars, with the goodyears (badyears) on them. the tires have 10k on em, and the wheels have never been curbed, or scraped. i took perfect care of them. im looking to get $1000.00 for the rims and tires. if anyone is, or knows someone who is interested let me know.

tom
    (dubson300m@yahoo.com)
    (phtrde1@aol.com)
  • Options
    mboomgarden1mboomgarden1 Member Posts: 49
    I am relatively new to the 300M--I've owned it six months and put about 9,000 miles on it. I love it! Good power, excellent handling, lots of luxury. An excellent value. The only defect I've encountered is a slightly rocky front seat. There's a factory fix that I'll ask the dealer to apply (different mounting bolts) next time I have it in for service. Other than that no problems . . . nada.

In making your purchase decision, the only caution I would bring to your attention is the breathtaking depreciation that the M suffers, particularly in its first year. I got an excellent deal on mine, but even with a good deal and a $2,000 Chrysler rebate, the precipitous drop in value is alarming. Thankfully, I hope to keep it for a while. In this regard, the Maxima may fare somewhat better.
  • Options
    I'm just totally excited. I just don't have the delivery date yet. I assume the middle of december. The dealer expects it to be shipped anytime after the 8th when his initial 300M Special is shipped. They are as curious about this car as I am. I was the first customer to even ask about the car in the dealership.

I do know the dealer said the Blue, Silver (mine), and a black one were ordered by him. All Black ones are being put on "hold" by Chrysler for some reason.

The only thing I'll miss about the regular 300M is the Chrome Rims. Hopefully the Aluminum Rims look nice. I am also thinking about putting on a rear spoiler on it.
  • Options
    I have a 99, and most of the problems I have encountered were caused from blown fuses. (I tend to keep the power connected when wiring up the vehicle) Ths car has been great, just a few oil changes in three years. Great car. In all the boards I know of only three owners that were unhappy with the problems with their cars.
    Test drive both, Max is faster off the line, but the 300m is riding in style, and fun. There is something about this car, that makes you want to drive it, I think they should put warnings on it "this car is addictive, have fun". Besided we have the best group of people on the boards.
  • Options
    It's interesting that this just came to me tonight, so to speak. The username I use here I've been using since playing Quake online. It was interesting, somewhat uncommon, and very appropriate if you know the game ;) I've been using it in newer games as well as on many boards.

However, now that I think about it, I wonder if it's really a good choice for this particular board :-D

ow...
  • Options
    I always envision you running over frogs in your M
  • Options
    Got it. L8R............Otto
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    My 99 has a little over 30,000 miles. I've had one warranty repair (window motors replaced - prety common on 1999 models and I believe it's corrected on newer models). And the seat is loose, but that will soon be fixed. All in all, not to bad for a first year model. I had reservations about buying a DC product again after a less than stellar experience with an '84 Daytona. I've been very pleased with my M.

As far as resale - yes, Chryslers have had a history of low resale - but as long as the US big 3 are offering 0% financing on new cars, then the used car market has dried up, consequently resale prices on almost any car have dropped.
  • Options
    Nothing can be more un-reliable than the GM Products I've owned.

1) 82 Chevy Cavalier, lasted 2 years. Sold at 50k miles because of numerous problems. Primarily, bad engine.

2)85 Pontiac Gran Am. Lasted 4 years. Sold for $50.00as junk. Engine top end rebuilt at 50K and transmission went at 75K. This car spent more time in for service in the first 6 months I owned it than I had it on the road (no lie). I replaced the brakes 3 times and the alternator 4 times. Oh yeah, 3 mufflers.

3)86 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - I got this one used from my sister in law in 1991 with 38k miles on it. This lasted until 1993 when a noise in the engine made me scared to drive it anymore. I hated it. I replaced the brakes 2 times and the alternator 3 times.

All these cars had oil changed every 3000 miles (I'm crazy about that)

I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER GM PRODUCT!!!

Positive experiences...

1)1994 Ford Explorer - Bought it new. I've had to replace the Auto Hubs, 3 oxygen sensors and the brakes. 87 K miles. I love this truck.

2)1995 Toyota Corolla - A work horse. Daily commuter with 169K miles on it. Drives as if new. I'm going to get to 300K in this car. (at least)

I just hope the 300M "Special" I ordered yesterday turns out to be a good experience like these 2 vehicles above. I haven't heard of many bad experiences with the 300M.

Big three offering 0% financing. The Toyota Dealer I tallked to on monday wanted 9% on a Camry. I laughed at him.
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I've had my 2001 M for almost a year now, not a single problem!! Believe me I wasn't to sure about buying one since my wife had sooooo many problems with her Dodge Caravan, but the 300M is the most exciting 4 door I've ever owned...........Which brings me to the next topic. I think it was 300michael that wrote about the Maxima vs 300M. I just wanted to add that I had two Maxima's(95 & 97) that were great cars but kinda plain. That was one of the BIG reasons for me and getting the 300M. Japanese cars are built well, but most are VERY boring. As far as acceleration, my 97 Nissan Maxima had a 5spd manual and it was a little faster from 0-60.... UNTIL I added the Borla exhaust 2 weeks ago with the K&N filter. This has transformed my M into something really exciting now. I highly recommend anyone that has been considering the upgrade to do it. It is NOTICABLY faster from 0-60, and it PULLS better from every gear now. Wow! Thanks to everyone here that helped me with my decision, it was money WELL SPENT!
  • Options
    man, now I'm feeling like I really should get the borla :D

btw - did you get any annular venturis put in? And how is the noise at about 2k rpm?
  • Options
    300M's less expensive sibling, Concorde used to get very high initial quality ratings, so I think 300M would be at least as good.

I had a 300M for 3 years. Mostly perfect. No squeaks, no rattles, doors close with a nice thunk. Close to the end of the 3rd year, one rear window motor went out ('cause the early 300M models had sticky weathestripping that the glass used to get glued to) and the air conditioning refrigerant leaked out. Also had a couple of bad engine speed sensors - dealer replaced under warranty, quick replacement job.
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Well, there is a little bit of droning around 2k rpm. I think it's not too bad, however the wife didn't care for it. I got the venturi's from Borla at the same time I ordered the exhaust. I'll more than likely have them installed when I have the time.
  • Options
    wencaowencao Member Posts: 52
    The car-truck.com site is a good source of DC future products. I really miss it.