Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Happy to see you got the part. I mailed it last Saturday so a week by snail mail isn't too bad. Notice how thin the veneer is where I broke it apart but how rich it looks with the thick epoxy coating over it. I know the whole kit was a perfect match in texture to the factory trim and you'll never know that it was aftermarket. Just curious to know if you contacted the distributor just up the road from you or if you were wating to see what the wood looked like first.
  • Options
    I've notice the odd time when going over a good bump in the road that I get a contact to contact noise from the front tires to what I would call a "skid plate" that is about 5" round and mounted below the front coil springs just above the tire and overlaps the tire by about 2 " verticaly. The horizontal height is only about 1" from the tire to this skid plate. Is anyone else having the same problem and also would a couple of you guys take a couple of measurement to see if there the same as mine. To me is seems that if this so called skid plate is hitting the tire then I'm in for pre-mature tire wear.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    300Mike you got it ,almost. The air temp sensor fan is behind the ATC control panel. It does not run all the time , as soon as you open the door its starts . That is what is humming. If its still under warranty take it in. If not you can try and put some oil on the motor and see if this will help.

scotian- I am pretty sure the pads are the same. but not a 100%. I do know the police package Intrepids we build get a different pad.
  • Options
    That metal plate is the lower coil spring mounting pad. You should not get any contact between the tire and this piece if your tires are stock size. Have you installed larger tires? Are you sure the tire is indeed hitting this metal pad? You should easily find rubber marks if it is hitting. You could try putting something like a light paint on the underside of that metal mounting pad and watch to see if it wears away after you feel the contact a few times . If it does not wear you are not hitting the metal.
  • Options
    sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    Did you read the post by makoman and is it possible what he said about water overflowing into the fresh air plenen and into the interior of the car? I am still have a problem with wet carpet after a new door gasket and the sealing of some body seams.
    sel714
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Yeah, I know what you mean, but the pic is from a member at a dodge interpid site. The pic is actually an LH car engine bay. The intrepid and 300M use the same intakes.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    What engine is that?

I need to see more pics, particularly more from the top looking down at the battery. And does their kit replace everything right up to the TB?
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I contacted the local company via email and haven't gotten a response yet. I'll try again on Tuesday (Monday is a pseudo-holiday in the US). I like the look of the piece. Very finely finished. Thanks again!

Glenn - The aircharger, I believe, is not street legal because it has no attachments for the EGR tube. I don't think anyone here tried to figure out if we could make it legal by drilling a hole and making a fitting for the reburn tube back to the intake.
  • Options
    I just compared that piece uxca sent me (the seat heater controls for the passenger side, I figured out) and noticed that it's much more red than my factory trim. Almost a burgundy color compared to my much browner color trim. Not sure if it's just because of the sample, or if that's a characteristic of their "factory match". Uxca, was this factory match for the '01 luxury group or the '01 standard trim (which I know has a redder tint than the luxury)?
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Where do you get the T&C stick on Chrysler wing to put on the back of a 300M? I remember a dealer site you could buy it from but don't remember what it was. How much does it usually cost?

The reason I ask is, when I was doing the weekly car cleaning, I said something to my mother and she said it would look better with a "wing like the front on the trunk." She's said this several times before, but I never bothered to check into it. If it's not too much, I'll try to get one and put it on below the trunk red light.

And on another note, we really need to get some Zaino for this spring. There's swirls all over the car from when the shop used a power buffer, certain areas have overspray on them, in others the paint is dull or rough, and the car just needs more shine to it. Right now, it looks good from a distance but like crap up close.
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    The engine is from a 2.7L Intrepid. I can only assume they replace everything up to the TB, but I don't know. I will post a question to the guy and report back.
  • Options
    I found this index for chrysler car parts. Wyckoff is the dealer that Beach15 was looking for, I believe.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Shopping/Vehicles/Parts_and_Accessories/American_Cars/Chrysler/

• Options
    The Wyckoff 300M page:

http://www.wyckoff-mopar-parts.com/in.html

Another chrylser parts on-line store with great prices (usually much cheaper than the dealer)

http://www.chrysler-parts.com

• Options
    triffnertriffner Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the info guys. This 5* been playing around with my car for 15 months now. They were ordered by arbit board to fix shimmy/vibration.
    probably new wheels and tires. They took off goodyears and put on continentials but still a problem. Any one have any problems with seat self adjusting? I keep seat all way back so no need to self adjust but keeps doing it. They have replaced the memory once already so..........
    Makes me mad when I start car and this thing pushes my legs into dash board. Pretty weird stuff.
  • Options
    I'm sure you made saved your seat settings (all the way back), right?
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    there is a new TV commercial for 300M. I like it.
  • Options
    glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Mike, you're correct. The aircharger is not street legal as it defeats part of the ECS. K&N states it's for off-road use only. Yea, that's what I wanna do; run my M on a 4x4 truck course! Good idea about drilling a hole for the EGR tube though. Maybe some one will come up with a solution! Oh BTW, I live in Rancho Penasquitos also. Small world!
  • Options
    It does not defeat emissions equipment (the engine breather hose is hooked up; the EGR is a separate system that connects to the intake manifold), however, it probably hasn't gone through the red tape to be "street legal." I certainly wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Are you sure? I was reading up on the intake system (although I forget where) and it went into great detail about how the EGR system recirculated the engine gasses back into the intake. For me I got an "aha" because I thought it therefore explained why you got an oily residue from the tube. I'm clearly not an engine wizard, but I thought that mystery was solved. :)
  • Options
    Holy moly. Give me some more details on your M. I see them all over PQ, with one even looking like it lives across the street from my son's school (Deer Canyon Elementary). I live on the west side of PQ near the middle school. If you see a bright red M with the plates BIGREDM, spoiler and tint, and no chrysler lettering that's me. Flag me down. :) Here are some pics:

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/300m.htm

• Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    You can also go to this link for Chrysler OEM parts.

http://www.oem-car-parts.com/?dodge-parts.net1

One problem is that none of the diagrams at either Wyckoff or oem-car-parts show the T&C wing emblem so that you can order it. An alternative that will work is the trunk emblem off the 99 & up LHS. It has a bit more curve to it than the 300 trunk but is flexible enough to flatten out.

If anyone has the P/N for the T&C wing that would be appreciated. The LHS wing P/N is: 1-04805065AB

• Options
    The dash kit is for the luxury group. Can't figure why that part I sent looks reder unless it got bombarded with X-Rays as it crossed the border :). If you take a look again at my photos on the Yahoo 300m site( specifically the one titled radio) you will see that there is no diference in colour between the factory installed trim and the kit.
  • Options
    Yes this is possible . If leaves or any other gunk block the hole that the water goes down in the body or if the amount of water is more than what can go down the drain hole , the water can go into the fresh air intake for the heater. You can look through the cowl screen on the bottom right side of the windshield and should be able to see if anything is blocking the drain hole that is right in the corner near the windshield and the fender.
  • Options
    The information is from the shop manual, which describes the EGR stuff as behind the engine and connecting to the intake manifold. The breather tube on the side of the engine is for ventilating the crankcase. Both return gunk into the engine, but the EGR probably returns a lot more gunk.
  • Options
    I looked at the picture, and you're right, it's an exact match for you. I'll try to take a picture today and show you how it differs with my car. Strange. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I agree..either would return gunk, but the EGR a heck of a lot more. :) Hey, I hope you're diving into that shop manual only after the 22 yo gf goes home to daddy's house. ;)
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I'm looking for a better solution for storing stuff in my trunk (i.e., the usual necessities like jumper cables, tools, fire extinguisher, paper towels etc.). I currently keep everything in a flat rubbermaid container but am getting tired of hearing it thump agains the back seat every time I accellerate or stop. The net really doesn't work for heavier stuff, plus it would look messy. Anyone have any better solutions or know of a site I can check for something (I'm thinking maybe a nylon storage bag that attaches to the side of the trunk..or something similar). Anyone have the OEM cargo tray? Wondering if it has high enough sides to keep my current "storage solution" from sliding around.
  • Options
    Attach the plastic hook half (not the fuzzy half) of Velcro strips to the bottom to stop the sliding (I have some small item holders attached to my seat back this way). You can get Velcro all over the place.
  • Options
    I have a canvas roll bag full of stuff (jumpers, flares, etc.) that doesn't seem to move around at all. Probably better friction than plastic.
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I personally love the style of the Grand Cherokee, but read a lot of bitter posts from owners about the unfixable four wheel drive vibrations and the general "that's the way they all are/meets design specs for this car" attitude of their dealers. That's a real red flag. I will consider the two wheel drive version (if available). We had two transmission rebuilds on the '93 Grand Voyager. Can you tell me if that transmission was changed out and what year has a better tranny? Please don't take my comments as being negative about DC products. My family had '50, '54, '55 Plymouths, all fondly remembered. (Except that my teenage leadfoot driving destroyed the '54 and '55). Our '93 minivan has been a fantastic workhorse. Last night I went to the airport to pick up the high school debate team and their luggage, including four large tubs of reference materials.
    Very useful vehicle without the truck-like ride and gas mileage of the typical SUV.

Good luck!

Silver
  • Options
    sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks otto
    sel714
  • Options
    Sorry silverbullet4 ,not sure about minivan tranny's .I am sure they are better in the 02's compared to the 93's. Yes I have heard about the vibration in the Grand Cherokee also , I have driven a few and never felt anything myself???. Yes you should be able to get a 2 WD Grand Cherokee.
  • Options
    I'm on my third tranny now on my wife's 96 grand caravan. What a piece of poo that tranny is.
  • Options
    Scotian - That was my initial idea. Don't want to use with the heavy rubbermaid though (don't want to make the carpet all fuzzy). SDMike -- good idea about the nylon bag -- that plus velcro would be the perfect solution.
  • Options
    I'm planning on going to Trader Joe's tomorrow at lunch (same p-lot as Starbucks) if you want to meet around 1pm. I don't know though if you are familiar with that shopping center --- VERY crowded parking lot. It's dog eat dog in the afternoons. The Mervyn's lot across the street is wide open.

But....if you want to get Glennpb to join to I'm open that too on another day.
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    I had the same problem when I first got the M. Once even accused the 5* of rummaging through my trunk. Finally bought some soft rubber matting that you put under throw rugs on hardwood floors (it comes in rolls). Cut it to size and it works great.
    Rick
  • Options
    glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Unfortunately I work down at the 32nd St Naval Station so lunch during the week is not an option for me. Friday afternoons are mine as are the weekends. Maybe we could hook up then? BTW Mike, my M is an '01 silver with spoiler, custom wheels, dual exhaust, and white lettering, can't miss it if you're looking (always Zaino'd of course). I'm keeping my eyes open for Big Red, but so far no luck. One of these days I'll take some new pics and get them posted!
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    That's 3 300m's in PQ. I'm over by the Doubletree/Albertson's.
  • Options
    newkneesnewknees Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Stone White 300M with light taupe interior and most of the options offered on the standard M. I do love this car!!

I am considering splash guards to protect the lower body from damage. Does anyone have guards installed? If so, do they affect the sporty appearance of this car?

The Chrysler web site shows two splash guard types - deluxe molded and molded flat. Any recommendation which type will look the best?
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Otto-

You have so many good ideas to help folks out with their cars- they ought to hire you into writing TSB's during these layoff periods. You are the one who sold me on my 300M, (and feel free to show the DC folks this e-mail documenting how you support sales!). If there were more product ambassadors like you, DC's market share would be up 50%!!!!

Jon
  • Options
    Holy smokes! Small world. What year/color is your M? Forget the vegas get together, looks like we could have a big turnout just in RPQ! What's your schedule look like during the week? Any chance of getting together with me, blonda, and glennbp?
  • Options
    1pm at Mervyns sounds great...even though a meeting would be another good reason for a starbucks coffee. ;) I'll find a big empty spot between Mervyns and carmel mountain road and wait for you. Look for a red car. :)
  • Options
    Okay -- I'll look for you over there around 1pm. I'll post a message in the a.m. if for some reason I can't make it.

P.S. - you could always go buy your coffee first!
  • Options
    You know...I'm starting to wonder if us people in San Diego have too much time on our hands (or maybe just spend a lot of time on the computer :-)
  • Options
    I have an excuse. I'm not working right now, so about every couple of hours I check in here and my other haunts. :) Now YOU, on the other hand..lol
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Mine is the one you wanted to get, Steel Blue/Taupe. I'm unavailable during the week, except this Friday.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Do what I do, use the spare tire area for storing you jumper cables and such. I have the full size spare and have my first aid kit, jumper cables, small vacume, and a few other things. Some things can be stored in the tire, just put it down between the spokes (razerstars) and you will be surprized how much you can fit in there.
  • Options
    I will see if I can get satalite photos of the get together in the Trader Joes Parking lot. Do you have the grid coordinets?
  • Options
    Does anyone have a pic of it?