Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    300michael- Go to http://www.knfilters.com/aircharger.htm

for a pic. I assume you meant the aircharger!
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I can beat that. My wife's '93 Grand Caravan is on its 4th tranny. New one about every 50K. Thankfully the first replacement was under warranty (back then you could choose a short full warranty or a longer power train warranty, which I chose). It's an AWD van, which they say is harder on trannies. Makes a great ski trip vehicle, and it's been mostly solid for 170K miles, except for the transmission.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Well, my wife's van only has 75k miles on it. The first tranny lasted until about 50k. The second only 25k. I bought a 7 year 100k mile extended warranty when I got the car and it's paid for itself several times over. However, the deductible still irritates me. ;)
  • Options
    Hey, it sounds like maybe on Friday everyone might be available sometime. I'm tied up in the morning, but maybe in the afternoon we can hook up? Blonda, let me know if you can meet on Friday (either also or instead of tomorrow) and I'll try to set up a place. If it's just the PQ people we can meet in PQ, otherwise we can drive about 2 miles and hook up with Blonda at lunch. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    Hmmmm...my father the tinkerer is coming for a two week visit in February. Last time he was here we installed the spoiler. Maybe this time we should install the air charger....hmmmmm.
  • Options
    rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    Does this mean another rash of stuff on EBay??

You need to organize a real SoCal meet with full Club sponsorship, trophies, door prizes, all that stuff. We have a budget for that.

There are 8 members in SD alone, and Blonda isn't even a member (yet?).. Be sure to show her your cool Club clingy decal. How can she refuse after that?

BTW, did you place the shirt order for us?
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Thanks very much. I do this because I love our cars . Yeah maybe one day all DC employees will fell the same about the products they build as I do. I do my job as if each car was being bought by ME. I get asked at work why I do so much for the company, I say I don't do it for the company I do it for the guy who will spend the next 4 - 5 years paying off this car. I do it for the customer .
  • Options
    They were closed today. I'll get the order in tomorrow. I actually made enough on eBay to pay for a dash kit, an air charger, AND a starbucks coffee. :)
  • Options
    I've gotten just one response (300michael) from multiple postings here and on the club board about a meet in Vegas in late february or early march. Quite frankly, I don't want to waste my time if there isn't any interest. Now, if there's an interest in something in San Diego that the LA people can also attend maybe I'll try again. What do you think?
  • Options
    Interesting. They have "free shipping" on the aircharger, but they charge a $9.95 handling fee. How's that for a pricing model.
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Anytime Friday is good. Local in PQ or over by Blonda is fine. Just let us know.
  • Options
    Let's tentatively plan for 1pm on Friday, even if others can't make it (I hope they can). My mornings are pretty full and my son gets out of school at 2, so 1 works pretty well for me.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Actually, the San Diego meet I would prefer over the Las Vegas location. How about this, what do you think of Oceanside area, it is closer to LA, and not that far from San Diego? People could stay in eather of those areas and it would be a very short trip to get there. You may even be able to pull in some of the Phoenix group. Just a thought. If it were in the LA area we could talk to SoCal to have it there, especially of Sleeper is in to talk about what he did to their 300M. Are the gears starting to turn?????????
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    what is that piece of plastic for on the hose just above the filter---I assume this filter will only ingest engine air (warm) which from what I hear is not quite as good as using fresh outside air?

Since this system may increase emissions, has anyone done a before and after emissions test. How long did it take to install.

I may consider this system if it does not increase emissions to a borderline level. In Massachusetts we have a new emissions test which is much more strict than previous tests.

Comments?
  • Options
    on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    everyone check out my rides in yahoo club photos. i got pics of the 20"s,KVR brakes,my new stripes,and pics of my truck and bike.
    will redo pics later,as a couple are a lil blury.
    let me have your oppinion on the stripes,i think the wife dislikes them!
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    If you are referring to the hose that continues off the bottom of the pic, it is not connected to the Aircharger. If you are referring to the backwards-L shaped thing above the tube, it is the upper seal of the hot air shield. Compare with:

http://www.knfilters.com/images/sAirc.jpg

I doubt it will increase emissions, unless you drive more as a result.

The shield should stop much of the hot air, but not as much as Franken Intake:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/air_intake-2/airbox_aka_franken/
  • Options
    Is that good for the others?
  • Options
    dunno yet until I hear back from them. Stay tuned! :)
  • Options
    The gears are definately turning. My initial thought is to have it in Carlsbad. It's just south of Oceanside and has more to offer in the way of nice places and scenery. It's still only 60 - 90 minutes from LA so those folks should be able to make the drive. I could possibly make some arrangements with the carlsbad DC dealer to "sponsor" the meet by giving us some space on their lot for an initial pow-wow (couldn't hurt sales to have a lot of nice Ms parked there, huh?), and then we could parade down the coast and take some pictures along the ocean. Maybe hit Torrey Pines and some of those nice places. The club could provide awards (longest distance travelled, most mods, classiest M, etc.) and as Roger suggested some door prizes. Maybe we could get the dealer to participate some how. Anway, the wheels are turning for sure. I'll do a "fly by" of the Carlsbad area this week to scope for locations, hotels, picture spots, etc., and I'll talk to roger about dates and times.

Good idea
  • Options
    franken intake...heh.
  • Options
    sweet wheels. Nice color M too. ;) The stripe's not too bad, although i don't normally go for striping that much.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Beach-- On the Wings Ornament- I looked in my file, and think that I found the ornament part number. It is #4857279AA and I got it from Wyckoff Chrysler off their net site for $25.93 plus shipping. They are normally way cheaper than the local 5*. [I priced a hood insulator from them last week, as mine got semi-ruined over the last couple of years due to a leaky window washer connection, and it was $15 cheaper from them than the $49 quoted by my local 5*.]
    By the way, for those with extra $ and into Borla, Wyckoff sent me an e-mail last week saying they were having a special on Borla exhausts. Their price was still too rich for me, but some might want to check it out.
    Blonda--On the storage thing that DC has for the trunk. I have it, and the edges are about 2" high, but there is no compartmentalization on the mat. It is just a textured rubber/vinyl mat that protects the rug in the trunk. I thought when I got it that it would have compartment-like areas with raised ridges, but it does not. Although quite flexible, it is a pain to get in and out of the trunk when you need to get at the spare tire area. As I am always slamming a 3-ball bowling bag into the trunk, I have found it seems to help to absorb the pounding on the trunk floor.

On the tire issue. On Saturday I changed out the 245/45ZR-17 Dayton Daytonas for 245/50HR-17 Goodrich Comp-TA's. This was strictly because Firestone/Bridgestone, which owns Dayton, had told me not to run the Daytons of that size on the stock 7" rims. Since I was on a 30-day test ride on the Daytonas it was no problem with the dealer. He, like I, cannot understand how the Goodrich Comp TA tires with a higher sidewall can be rated to ride on the 7" rims, and in fact will let you go down to 6.5" rims but the Daytons would not let you go below 7.5" on an 8" measured rim width. Anyway, I really liked the handling of the Daytons, and now will hope for as good a ride from the Comp TA's. I would have stayed with Daytons but they did not make a size on their chart, even in HR that I could put on the 7" rims. I still have to convert my spare as only 4 of the Comps came in to the dealer last week. At least the Comps, like the Daytons, show no signs of the Badyear shimmy either.
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I have a 2000 Jeep GC LTD, bought mid-year, with around 14k on it and so far I've only had one problem with it.

The seal in a headlight assembly failed and water would get in when I took it through a car wash. It was fixed under warranty.

I've read a lot about the vibration and drive train whine on the GC but so far I have experienced none of that. I have the Quadradrive system in mine which may make a difference. But everything I read pointed to it being the problem configuration.

I have a personal theory that the problems result from poor break in habits. Going out and over stressing the drivetrain before everything is worn in and then not following the proper maintenance routine. I have no proof, just a hunch. I know that a lot of the problems were showing in the first 2k miles which leads me to thinking this way.
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Subject: Contributions

I thought I would pass this along. It's kind of interesting when you think
    of what we mean to the world and what we get in return.

CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM`s
    contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and
    Washington.
    The findings are as follows......

1. Ford - $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions
    of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company also
    offered ER response team services and office space to displaced government
    employees.
    2. GM - $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions
    of
    the same number and a fleet of vans, suv`s, and trucks.
    3. Daimler Chrysler - $10 million to support of the children and victims
    of
    the Sept. 11 attack.
    4. Harley Davidson motorcycles - $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the
    New York Police Dept.
    5. Volkswagen - Employees and management created a Sept. 11 Foundation,
    funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and
    victims of the WTC.
    6. Hyundai - $300,000 to the American Red Cross.
    7. Audi - Nothing.
    8. BMW - Nothing.
    9. Daewoo - Nothing.
    10. Fiat - Nothing.
    11. Honda - Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in
    August 2001
    12. Isuzu - Nothing.
    13. Mitsubishi - Nothing.
    14. Nissan - Nothing.
    15. Porsche - Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche
    website.
    16. Subaru - Nothing.
    17. Suzuki - Nothing.
    18. Toyota - Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August
    2001. Condolences posted on the website

CNN can only express hope that this infuriates and sickens each of you
    it did us. Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new
    vehicle, keep this information in mind. I ask that you choose a product
    made by an American-owned and based company. Apart from Hyundai and
    Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed nothing at all to the
    citizens of the United States. It`s OK for these companies to take money
    out of this country, but not acceptable to return some in a time of
    crisis.

Peace,
    Silver
  • Options
    mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    For the past several years, I've owned exclusively import vehicles (Mercedes, Honda, BMW, etc.) and I've generally been pretty impressed with the attitude from my dealer service departments. Now, having bought a Chrysler from my nearby Five Star dealer, I've experienced a remarkably unsatisfactory attitude from my dealer. Not hostile or nasty, just lacking in customer focus.

I haven't had anything catastrophic happen. My 2001 300M's build quality has been very good, but there have been a couple of small problems--for example, a defective (vibrating) door speaker and a driver's seat that moves under acceleration and deceleration.

After having been told during the purchase process that service loaners were available, my first experience with the service department was befuddlement at the thought of a loaner. They fixed (temporarily) the seat movement problem, but were apparently unaware of a service bulletin that addressed a permanent fix, and, in doing an oil/filter change, managed to induce a slow oil leak.

The next time around, I again brought the seat movement problem to the attention of the service rep. His response was "There's probably nothing we can do about it." I brought a service bulletin to his attention that addresses this problem; I am fairly confident that if I had not taken the initiative to identify the service bulletin, the service department would not have addressed the problem. During this same visit, I asked them to check out another problem, a vibrating speaker. They supposedly fixed this problem, but when I flipped on the stereo about a mile from the dealership, I found the speaker was still screwed up. When I called the service department, no apologies--just "bring it back in."

On a couple of occasions, I have visited their parts department to purchase accessories. Both times, I stood at the counter while the parts man on duty walked past several times before acknowledging me. When they eventually got to me (I don't contend he didn't have other things going on), the attitude was the same as I had experienced from the service rep--sort of a "yeah, whadya want" approach. Again, I want to emphasize that nothing horrible has happened in my visits to the dealership--it's just that I've experienced a somewhat uncaring attitude.

I know the car business is difficult, that working as a service rep or at a parts counter isn't always fun, and that even the best service technician won't always be able to correct a problem the first time around. No manufacturer or dealer can guarantee that every service encounter will be 100% positive. However, the indifferent attitude to customer service is kind of disturbing. As much as I like my 300M and believe that Chrysler has a very appealing line of vehicles, I won't accept this level of service forever. Given enough reasons to go elsewhere, meaning another brand of car, I will. I suspect that a lot of Chrysler owners will eventually do likewise.

In reading the postings on this board and elsewhere, I am under the impression that my experiences may be somewhat representative of what others have experienced. Am I off-base in my perceptions? Is the Five Star certification process just a bunch of hooey? Is there a solution, or will Chrysler drown in a mire of service mediocrity?

Incidentally, I would give my purchase experience from the same dealer top marks--the salesman was very professional, courteous and straightforward.
  • Options
    Friday at 1:00 sounds fine; just tell me where.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Get the molded guards, they fit great and are easy to install.
    The fronts can be installed with the wheels on, the rears require wheel removal.
    I have the fronts only on my '01 Silver, had them also on my '99 deep slate.
    The guards are paintable if you wish; I didn't.
  • Options
    Friday at 1:00 sounds fine; just tell me where.
  • Options
    Silverbullet4--

This same e-mail was posted here a couple of weeks ago and is largely incorrect. Our moderator, Pat, provided quite a bit of information on this internet hoax. One example that I am aware of (because I ride a BMW motorcycle) can be seen at: http://www.americanmotor.com/news.cfm?NEWSID=1778 . This website details BMW's contributions: BMW donated 100 police motorcycles, 10 X5 Sports Activity Vehicles, and $1 million in cash, a total contribution of $2.4 million to New York City and those affected by the attack. As Pat pointed out, several other of these claims are likewise bogus. Unfortunately, once these things make their way into the Web, they take on a life of their own.

You can find further information on this anonymous e-mail at the Urban Legends Reference Pages at http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/cars.htm and a more detailed look at these erroneous claims at http://www.womanmotorist.com/ftrs/bs-911-automakers-2001-01.shtml .

Undoubtedly there are many foreign companies doing business in the U.S. that didn't contribute; however, the same can be said of many U.S. companies. But, back to the point at hand, the e-mail you received is a work of fiction.

• Options
    if blonda can make it we'll meet in carmel mtn. If not, we'll pick a place in PQ. stay tuned.
  • Options
    bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    I brought my '00 300M to the dealer (Walton in Skokie IL) for the seat movement problem and they said it was normal. I then told them about the TSB issued to correct the problem. There answer was whats a TSB. I give up I am thinking of fixing it myself. I love the car the dealers suck. PS I've been waiting 6 weeks for a part to fix my heated seats on my 2001 Grand Cherokee LTD. I call the Jeep 800 number and all I get is a busy signal.. That 2003 Mercedes E series is starting to look good.
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Mike -

Why don't we all just meet on Friday instead of today. RPQ is fine for me. I'm just off the freeway in RB so it's not that far. Just let me know when and where. Although I'm gonna feel a little left out with my single exhaust (maybe that's the difference between girls and boys).
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Okay, okay...I'll join. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • Options
    newkneesnewknees Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input on the splash guards.
  • Options
    ok. i'll pick a place for friday & let you guys know
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Newknees- I agree with Russ. I have the molded guards all the way around. I don't think they had the ones with the 300M logo on them when I got my 99. Anyway, they were $27.60 per set of two, and $27.50 labor to install. They worked very well with the stock 225/55-17 tires, but I may have to find something a little wider now that I have gone to 245/50-17s. I have noticed a little more splashing on the quarter panels than usual after running on wet roads. Don't know if there is anything wider out there unless one has a suv or truck. Anyone gone wider [not longer] than the OEM guards?
  • Options
    First let me say that it depends on the individual dealer and service dept. I too have owned everything from high end imports to low end domestics. As a general rule, there is no doubt in my mind that the expensive imports ie BMW, Lexus, etc. offer far better service and customer support than our own domestics. Interestingly enough, some of the best service I have ever received was from a Lincoln dealer. My 5* Chyrsler service dept is just OK. I have had some very minor problems that were resolved rapidly and with no complaint. However others I have spoken to have had nightmarish experiences with them. I think the 5* designation is a bunch of crap and is used as a come on. What really matters is the dedication of ALL the service and dealer personnel. If they are not committed to really trying to please everyone as much as possible, and that includes keeping up with DC TSB's, then there will continue to be problems. It's too bad it's that way because it doesn't have to be. Just look at some of the stats from various surveys and you can tell what auto mfg's are truly committed to customer satisfaction. About the only recourse we have is to complain to the top and switch dealers if you have that option. I believe it's not DC, but the individual dealer that makes the difference.
  • Options
    My apologies to the board for the erronious information about contributions by foreign car companies. I was snookered by my source-my corporate executive wife sent it to me, so I thought it was genuine information. I will inform her of your response. I don't believe most of the things I read from posters I don't know (this board excepted, of course). Sorry, everyone.

Old enough to know better,
    Silver
  • Options
    rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    We (the Club) will definitely assist in providing awards, door prizes (probably Club shirts) and anything else we can do. I'm leaving for a much-needed Hawaiian vacation on Thursday, so can't assist too much in the planning right now. I can provide you with a member email list.

I would also suggest going to Yahoo Invites (http://invites.yahoo.com/) where you can create a customized invitation, send it to a bunch of members, and they can RSVP on line. It's a great tracking tool.

Let me know when you get date and place info set in stone, and I'll order awards and have them sent to you.

I'll be monitoring my Hotmail while I'm gone (prez300mclub@hotmail.com).
  • Options
    I hope I didn't come on too strong. I've seen this same e-mail in a couple of different venues. As I mentioned, the only reason I knew something was hinky was because I had already read about the BMW contribution on another website (possibly the American Motorcyclists' Association site).

This sort of thing will probably never go away. However, the ease of communication offered by the Internet means that anybody can now say just about anything and reach a fairly broad audience in a matter of days. I think it's incumbent on all of us who value the Internet for what it has to offer to step in when we run across something like this that we know to be erroneous; no personal offense was intended by my post.
  • Options
    Any HTML gurus in here? I'm developing a web site for a friend and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why a table is changing fonts on me. I can force the font to whatever I want, but for some reason the size="" tag won't work. My guess is that I need to put some kind of default font tag at a certain point in the table, but I'm clueless. I guess that's why my help is FREE! lol. Here is the page link. http://www.ritchiefamily.com/walk2win/calendar.htm

If anyone has an idea please shoot me off an email at mritchie@san.rr.com. Thanks guys (and ladies)

• Options
    300mmm300mmm Member Posts: 27
    FYI, I received a reply from DC and they recommend waiting two months before applying any polish or wax to a new vehicle. However, several other sources on the web, including many of the wax/polish manufacturers, say factory paint is essentially cured when it leaves the factory.

Anyway, I went ahead and installed my magnetbra. I'll take it off for a few days each week this winter to let it "breath". Gotta be better than driving through all the salt and sand here in CT with a naked front end!

I do love my new 300M!
  • Options
    triffnertriffner Member Posts: 31
    You are right Mike the seat all the way back. My 5 star dealer is a joke also. They been trying to fix this car for 13 months. Last thing was cleaning car last week and went to wipe own front of dash board and the traction button fell insside the dash! It wasnt even hooked up! No explaination just....bring it in. Well its there now for vibration and seat moving and humming sound ect... hopefully it will be better soon.
    I pray it will.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    do the molded guards come both with and without the logo--I think I would prefer the plain one--any recent buyers out there
  • Options
    If it's any consolation, I'll also have single exhaust. Maybe if we park next to each other, it'll look like one very wide two tone 300M with wierd dual exhaust.
  • Options
    sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    Or do the other regulars to this forum smell something fishy in here as of late. Suddenly, there are all these "new" 300M owners here complaining of service issues. We've just never had that happen before. I am suspecting that at least some of these guys have come to seek revenge for the very popular "import-unappealing" thread by attempting to disparage what new know to be a very reliable vehicle, our 300M's.
  • Options
    No offense taken. Thanks for the "headsup".

Silver
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Just a quick question, the car goes in tomorrow.

How long should it take for the side windows to clear off when they're wet and you can't see through them in the morning from the overnight moisture? Our car sits outside all the time, and even though we let it warm up a good 10-15 minutes before going anywhere in the morning, the windows have never once cleared properly like the windshield and rear window do in just a minute or two. This morning for intstance, started the car at 7:15 and while sitting in the car at 7:40, all the side windows were still covered and we couldn't see through. This was 35 minutes, even after having it the blower on high. Tried to roll the windows down which should clear like it does on any other car we've been in, but that doesn't clear them either.

So, on average, how long should it be taking to de-fog the side windows? Our Voyager did it quickly just like the windshield and the Bu-rod LeSabre too just a few seconds for all the windows. So, what's up?

Also, we've had trouble defogging any of the windows, including the windshield, if they fog up inside from temp. changes. We'd vary the temp, max the blower, but nothing. Should the HVAC system be working like this?

Shouldn't the windows clear off too?
  • Options
    Ok guys, let's call it 1pm in the Albertson's shopping center over by Office Depot. Any time I've been over there it's been pretty open. Besides, the albertsons has a Starbucks inside. lol

Blonda, all you'd have to do is come over the freeway (west) on carmel mountain road and turn left into the shopping center parking lot at the first light. There is a Chevron on the corner. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. Maybe we can spend a few minutes talking about the potential San Diego club meet. I'll be bringing my camera, so make sure to knock the big chunks of mud off your Ms before you go. ;)