Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I got Scotian's clock faces in the mail today and promptly installed them. Takes only a few minutes and no tools. I tried two types and settled on the one without the 3d checkerboard patter.

Here's some pics.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1539430&a=12334190&f=0&vt=mp

• Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Chrysler is a bit different...always has been. When you open the drivers door from the inside, it will unlock itself. If the front passenger opens their door, it will unlock (doesn't matter if they're power door locks or not). The rear doors won't unlock by pulling the door handle - you have to manually unlock them. With power door locks, a quick flick of the unlock button does the trick. On GM cars, no door unlocks by pulling the handle, on Fords, only the drivers door will unlock by pulling the handle.

As far as the power door locks unlocking in a parking lot - I actually prefer the "one push - drivers door, two pushes -all doors" approach. Guess it comes from living in Dallas during a time when some folks were "abducted" because a bad guy was lurking and when all doors unlocked - hopped inside the car.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Where's fastdriver lately? When is he going to inform the board of Christine's replacement? I still think it's a red and parchment CL Type-S.
  • Options
    32rodder32rodder Member Posts: 1
    For what it is worth, I do 99% interstate travel and my '99 300M has 50K+ miles on it with the factory tires. I expect to get 60K+ on them with front to rear rotation at 10K intervals. I love the car and will no doubt get another set of Goodyears. Not one service or reliability problem. Oil and filter every 3K plus injector cleaner every 10K. No problems.
  • Options
    I first noticed this in my 97' Grand Voyager when the doors were locked and I pulled on the handle--the door lock popped up. I don't think any of my other cars did this, just the Chryslers. As for one push of the remote to unlock all the doors, I like the current set-up. Not like it matters, with my damn remotes and car, I have to push the button about five or six times event to get one door to unlock most of the time. However, because of this I wish I could program the car so the horn beeps and the lights flash so I know that it did actually unlock. Has anyone else noticed that it takes several pushes to unlock the doors or pop the trunk? Strangely, it only takes one press to lock the car successfully.
  • Options
    akfwdakfwd Member Posts: 5
    hi every body iam a new member,and I would like to know all the accessories for my 300 m.
  • Options
    jmcmanusjmcmanus Member Posts: 11
    Fuzzy said the Michelins only last 20K. I just turned 20K on my 99 and I have begun to wonder how much longer the tires will last since they are showing more wear than I expected. What are others finding with the Michelins?
  • Options
    rklassrklass Member Posts: 133
    Derek, my '99 300M key fob almost always took more than press of the lock/unlock buttons to get any results. There is a TSB about this that will get you a new fob case with better battery contacts.
    The '01 setup works on the first press every time, and there is a (programmable) light flash to confirm unlock, as well as horn/flash to confirm lock.
    It just keeps getting better!
  • Options
    Ahmed, the Chrysler dealers just got a new sccessory catalog for the 300M & other models. The items are too numerous to list here.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Beautiful pics -- thanks!
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    The computer chip on the 300M is not replacable. There is howerver a module that plugs into the MAP, & TPS sensors, & adjusts air/fuel. It's from JetChip http://www.jetchip.com So far I'm the only one to try it out. My results have not been good. So far there is no improvment in 0-60, however the car does seem more responsive at high rpm. Due to a bad map sensor on my car, my tests might be wrong. I plan on testing some more when I have the time. This is on modified car. I have a K&N, dual exhaust, 18's, & a little more weight in the car from the heavy stereo sub box. On a stock car, there should be more of a difference.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    2 door? 4 door? We don't need no stinkin doors!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/products/products.asp

just think how quick you can apply that Zaino!

• Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I've said this before, but it's worth saying again. I have 33,000 miles and have plenty of tread left on my 99 PHP 300m. I rotate every 6,000 miles. I don't drive too hard either.

For the guys that are driving hard, maybe 20K is right for them.

FWIW, I'm expecting 50K from mine.
  • Options
    ski1001ski1001 Member Posts: 27
    I have a y2k 300m and re programmed the door locks not to lock at all when car in motion. I was getting tired of only being able to unlock drivers side only. This eliminates the issue. If children in car, I will manually lock doors. That was my solution.
  • Options
    I have a pair of 9005XS Eaglite fake HID bulbs for sale if anyone wants them. These will fit the HIGH BEAMS only. Price is $15 w/free shipping.

Also have a pair of 9007 high/low beam bulbs same price. If anyone is intrested, email me. Jtalbot@BroadwayTrading.com
    These are brand new.
    If not there going on EBAY.
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    I am on my second set of the Dunlop SP9000 tires. My first set lasted 25k miles. That's not exactly true -- I had two blow outs. But the tires that didn't blow out went 25k miles. I might have been able to go another 2-3k miles, but the outside edges were scalloped pretty badly. I never remounted the tires so I only did front/rear rotations.

That 25k was with the tires inflated to 35psi, which I no longer do. My tire dealer was astonished I got 25k miles at that pressure. I am now inflating to 45psi as per his suggestion. I will also remount the tires on the opposite side of the car every other rotation.

(Note to those unfamiliar with the Dunlops: they are directional tires and cannot be moved from one side of the car to the other without remounting.)

Igor
  • Options
    Right, I have mine at 41PSI cold, when there hot they get to about 45-47psi. That's seems about right.
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    lalarry: no problem, bud on the posting, but it was denverm (Brent) who's been doing the updating for a while as I've become a sub-post office making up membership packages!
    To sdmike2: congrats on the new addition. Like you I've got two girls, 24, and one who just turned 17.
    I thought when they got older I'd be ble to relax..no more babysitters or diapers..but No-o-o-o-o-o way. Now, I have to babysit both my girls AND their boyfriends...sheesh! Things do get interesting, though. Though I'd miss them both when they get their own apartment/homes someday, I look forward to being able to get up in the moring and be able to wak around in my 'tidy-whities'.
    I do have a question about radar detectors for my learned colleagues here. The S.o. saw on the local Home Shopping Network a radar detector with the following stuff:
    All radar bands: X, K, KA
    Laser for V2
    Ultralite L1 and L2 (?)
    Compass
    360° pick-up
    SWS (Safety Warning System) for emergency vehicle notifications?...
    Is there anything ELSE that I should be looking for
    Cost of this puppy: $129.50 + 8.95 S&H
    Manufacturer: Early Warning model 7070, available in Black only (which would go with eMily's Bright Silver Metallic color...
    you can/pleas email me at
    glenn.beye@ny.frb.org with your opinions, suggestions.
    To whomever posted about hitting pot hole(s) and denting a RazorStar, I've strongly suggested to my wife to be very AWARE of such potholes where we live in NJ, as the winter was not kind to the roads where we live.

Regards to all,
    drpixel/Glenn
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Had Michelin MXRV4s on the wife's old Aurora and they were well treated, rotated, aired, etc. and they were dead at 40K, which is when I dumped the car for an Eldorado. They were also not all that quiet but were oriented for the high speed Autobahn package. I had Goodyears on my 93 Regal GS and hated them, even had a piece of gravel puncture the tread, and opted out of them at 44K for some Goodrich tires that did well till I traded at 60K. Have Goodyears on my 99m and hate them. They are loud and despite repeated balancing, albeit by a 21/2* dealer's henchmen, they continue to exhibit a low speed [under 30mph wobble] that I, the driver can feel in my thighs. I cannot wait til I get them to 40K, and then they are gone. My local tire dealer recommended Bridgestone Potenzas but when I asked how those tires would do for mileage, he said 40K, so I don't know what it will be when I get to change them.

PS. I meant Fastdriver not Race in my post on his new wheels. Sorry for the mix-up. Also have an alternate nomination of a Honda 2000[?] as the car.
  • Options
    Two Word's.....Valentine One

http://www.valentineone.com/

Expensive, but worth it.

Those safty warning things are gimmicks, that rarely work.

• Options
    I am in need of some Zaino products. Is there a discount with Zaino yet??
  • Options
    rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    We tried, and Mr. Zaino politely turned us down flat. I wrote him a VERY nice letter and Drpixel even talked with him (both are in Noo Joisey) but no success. LOL! So .... full price it is if you want that Zaino look!
  • Options
    Man, Mr.Zaino should know what he's missing. I'll include a note in my expensive payment to him :)
  • Options
    300M/LHS/INTREPID

If anyone is intrested, call this guy:

Scott Plant at gourmet garage (626) 443-6858

http://www.ggarage.com/

There is a cheaper one for $650, That uses remanufactored OEM real HID parts, & the better one is $950 That uses new OEM parts. Replaces the bulbs, wireharness, & includes a transformer, & Instructions.

Get this. I emailed him on November 9th of 2000. He kept my email, sent me a reply today because the kit is now available.

• Options
    How about Signal mirrors. You know, the ones that have the turn signals built into them:

http://genxco.com/mirrors.htm

300M costs $269

• Options
    tj300mtj300m Member Posts: 31
    It's Thursday afternoon and no new car pics. Looks as if fastdriver is having problems getting his new ride to compare with christine in the looks category. One more coat of Zaino!?!? LOL

I'll check back tomorrow for an update.
  • Options
    race9fanrace9fan Member Posts: 53
    its been 24 hours after the scheduled pick up time, do you have any pics!!! at least give us an update!!!

Race
  • Options
    sugar300msugar300m Member Posts: 61
    SDmike-congrats & all the best!! & good luck with whatever you choose...go for that PHG!

Fuzzywuzzy-Thanks for that; I may give it a try. My wife is getting tired of the M, we'll probably be shopping for a BMW330xi (her girlfriend has one & let her drive & she can't stop talking about it). At any rate, I'll get the M (& bid the ol '91 Regal farewell)& dual exhaust here I come.

I was in Las Vega$ last week & saw a M taxi cab! Oh the pain! Saw a few nice '01 M's. Tried to rent an M but couldn't find one.
  • Options
    300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    Somebody just posted that they were selling some Xenon bulbs. I have been looking into these and was wondering if anyone has installed these on their M. How much better are they if at all? Do they last as long as standard ones? Do you feel they are worth it. According to my owners manual the replacement bulb for the fog/driving light on the M is the H3. On web sites that I have researched they don't list anything for the M. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you in advance!
    Craig CMC300M@aol.com
  • Options
    As I reported earlier, my lights had been flickering when I hit the brakes etc. Took the car to the 5* and they couldn't find anything but wanted me to bring it back this week to take it apart to find the cause. Last Saturday I hopped in to head somewhere and I had nothing. No radio, lights, etc. The better half was gone and I was stranded. So I opened the hood, leaving the ignition on and started movong the battery cables. Lo and behold the radio came on when I held them in a particular position. I got out the tool box and first tightened the negative jump start connection. The car started. After a little work I tightened the other connections as well. Since then no problems with the voltage light, flickering headlights, etc.

I bought my car as "used" with 180 miles because the dealer bought it with three miles at an auction after it had been at a car show. Couldn't pass up the deal I got.

I guess they had unhooked the battey and had not tightened them very well.

Would the loose cables cause the other problems and why wouldn't the technician check for that.

Thanks for any imput you can give.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I've narrowed my search to 3 cars at 3 different dealers. Two are inferno red with sandstone interior, and one is 100% loaded while the other is missing side air bags and the luxury group (but it has PHG). The third is the one I posted...steel blue with taupe, with the luxury group and no PHG. It looks like all dealers will be around $5k off MSRP. This leads me to the following question for the gang...

What are the 3 options you're glad you got (in order of satisfaction), and which could you have lived without? My real debate right now is PHG versus Luxury Group. I don't think I can afford both.

Thanks

-Mike
  • Options
    A disconnected battery should not cause any long term problems for you. Batteries die all the time and shops frequently disconnect them to do engine work. The only thing you might want to do is call the dealer and see if anything needs to be re-programmed. My wife's Caravan required a reprogramming of the climate control system after the battery expired.

-M
  • Options
    race9fanrace9fan Member Posts: 53
    what do you mean you can't afford both the php is only $500. i personally don't care for the wood steering wheel on a performance car, maybe the dealer who ordered the php without the lux group was thinking the same thing, i'd go for the inferno red php without the lux, the tighter steering, bigger brakes are worth giving up the lux if you can't have both but you're giving up the side airbags too. so i'd scrape up the extra 500 bens and get it all you only live once.

Race
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    My must-have when I bought my '00 was PHG, and I still feel the same. I wouldn't buy one without PHG. I was ambivalent about getting the moonroof (which came on my car), but I would put it at #2 now - it really gives a more open feeling, even when the glass is closed. #3 is chrome wheels; I just think they look great. I also got the upgraded stereo, which I could probably live without (I bet the standard one sounds plenty nice, but I didn't compare).
  • Options
    Where are you?
  • Options
    hataxhatax Member Posts: 56
    I remember reading an article on the climate control before, it was either on a Intrepid or a Caravan, about how to re-initialize the system.. And was wondering if somone can give me the info on how to do so to my 2000 300M... I know it invloves the defroster button to some effect. =)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I had a '99 with all the options except the moonroof, which was not available on early production models.
    I now have an '01 with everything but chrome wheels (I prefer the silver wheels with the silver paint).
    I like the luxury group, but I think it's a lousy value, as I don't see what you get besides real wood dash , wood topped wheel, dipping outside murrors, and more features on the trip computer.
    I think the PHG is a MUCH better value, and really enhances performance and satisfaction.
    I would opt for the PHG.
    By the way, the Inferno red/chrome wheel combination looks really good. My wife has that combination on her '01 Sebring LXi sedan.
    Good luck, you really can't go wrong with any of the 3!
  • Options
    The thing about the luxury group that I DO like is that the wood trim is real (and looks 1000 times better than the fake stuff) and all of the extra options with the computer. It's here that you can set the car's seat settings to respond to the remote or not, and whether or not to flash the headlights and/or sound the horn when you lock the car. The PHG (non-lux) inferno red car wouldn't start when I was there (they had to jump it), so I'll have them replace the battery. It also made a rhythmic dull *thud* noise every time the wheels went around, but it stopped after a mile or so. I suspect it was the rust being worn off the rotors (gotta love seeing rust on the rotors...means it's been there long enough that they're anxious to move it). Racefan, I like your comment too. My wife said "you're worried about $600 on a $34,000 car?". I still would like to save the money though.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    Go for the loaded one. As I stated I got mine cheap but had no choice on options. I like the looks of the luxury group, get a lot of compliments and also love the added features. The stereo upgrade sounds great, especially with the roof open. The only thing I don't have is PHG, but wish I did. It still is a great ride but for the difference, I would regret not getting it all. I would do the red. Mine is silver but I see those, but never a red here in Wisconsin.

Scotian, did you send my clock dial?

And what is up with fast driver. I could see him not showing us pics before he was ready, but he isn't even teasing us. Buyers regret??????
  • Options
    mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    Not really a re-init, but a self-diag mode:

With car on (engine running) and not moving,

set temp at 75
    press and hold (simultaneously) Defrost, Mix (Defrost and floor combo) and Floor only buttons at one time.

If there are any errors, I guess write them down and bring it to the dealer. *shrug*

Hope this helps.
    -m
  • Options
    Re-programming the climate control on my wife's van included holding down the wiper and recirc buttons (I think) at the same time and turning the fan all the way on. After holding them down for about 10 seconds it started cycling through a bunch of stuff (lights blinking like a christmas tree inside) and eventually....got back to ground zero. Ground zero was a systematic blinking of several of the wiper and climate controls. After two conversations with the dealer trying to fix it myself I drove in. it took them about 30 seconds to fix it....and for no charge. :)

I'm about to drive down to the 5* with the loaded red 300M and lay my target price on them. I guess if they offer me 1/2 price for my trade or otherwise try to stick it to me I can fall back to plans B and/or C! Thanks for the assistance everyone. Hopefully by this weekend I'll post some pics of my second new baby in two weeks! :)

-Mike
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    I'm very sorry that these were not posted sooner, but I could not separate myself from this car! I was not trying to tease you at all. I just wanted to DRIVE!! I absolutely love it! NO buyer's regret here. Didn't get home until after 12:30 AM last night and took the day off today and have been out since 10 AM!! No Zaino on her yet because of the weather.

Not all will agree with my purchase, but you don't know what you're missing! Absolutely NO road/wind noise!

No time now for any further comments because I do have to go to work tomorrow. I can tell you that we have some WINNERS here! GOOD GUESSING!! ;-))))

Here goes:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=912729&a=12353397&p=45187678&f=0

fastdriver

• Options
    lalarrylalarry Member Posts: 56
    What??? No Nav system?? VERY nice fastdriver. Good Luck to you and your new ride. Can't tell from the pics if it's an S. Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!
  • Options
    ok...I just did one of the hardest things that I've done in some time, and I NEED to have someone tell me I did the right thing. :) I just walked away from a loaded inferno red 300M over $350! The sticker is $34,580 and I offered $29,400. Based on my calculations this would give them a profit of about $1,000 over net cost after rebate. They countered with $29,990 but said that they would make no profit, the boss would fire them, their children would starve, and there would be a plague of locusts and frogs. I said "thanks for your time" and headed for the door. The sales guy nearly dove over a desk and two chairs to get to me before I got out, and asked "what if I did $29,590". I told them it was above my target price but they would have a deal. However, the sales manager said $29,750 TONIGHT ONLY. Well, that "tonight only" stuff really chaps my rump, so on principal alone I thanked them for their time and walked. They didn't chase me down, so I guess I got pretty close to the floor. Tomorrow I'm going to call the other dealer that told me they wouldn't be undersold and could get any car. I'll make it easy on them...THAT car for $29,550 and I'll be over to get it.

Now that my heart has stopped racing I can think about all this again. I'm hoping the information I got on a $1,000 factory to dealer incentive is correct, because that's what I built my calculations on. It has to be...otherwise nobody would be offering any of these cars at $4,500 or $5,000 off MSRP. They'd lose money.

I'll report back tomorrow!

-Mike
  • Options
    Beautiful ride, even without the Zaino! I was looking at the TLs but I needed more room. I think Racefan hit you right on...CL in red with tan interior. LOL.
  • Options
    Well, I just did my calculations again removing the non-authenticated $1,000 factory to dealer incentive and the numbers jive with what they were telling me. At $29,990 they would be making $400 profit, and at the reduced price they were making about $250 on the car. Of course, if the incentive DOES exist, they're making $1,000 more. I sure wish I knew whether that incentive was there for sure. If it's not I just walked away from a killer deal. :/
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    what, no Hummer--well at least you'll save on gas (Hummer gets about 10 miles per gallon with a tail wind)--

Looks great--though not quite as roomy as the M--but that air freshener gots to go!---

betta get that Zaino on her before the birds use her for target practice--

hope you'll still come and visit us here and let us know how she's runnin--any mods planned yet-time's awastin-

Easyrider300M
  • Options
    I agree...that air freshener just HAS to go. Breath in that fine leather and new car smell. Save the pine tree for the first time a kid dumps a load of french fries under the seat or when your cat barfs in it. ;)
  • Options
    got my licence plate picked out. Watch out for a bright red M with the CA license plate "RED300M"..LOL
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    That's one of the few, and I mean few, cars that I like the looks of.