Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    300kam300kam Member Posts: 29
    I have a question with people who favor the K&N Air filter: There are comments saying that K&N allows bigger particles (dirt) to flow through (into the engine?) in order to achieve higher air flow, is that bad for the engine?
    You need bigger holes in order to have more air, I believe it, that's physics.
  • Options
    seefiveseefive Member Posts: 7
    Thanks all for the info....My Slate '99 M did not have the PHP but I just could not pass it up. The dealer was asking $19,500 but had a tent sale last weekend and failed to move it. I got it in my hands for $15,500 with 37K on the odometer. I think I got a good deal from what I saw on Edmunds as well as kbb.com.
    She has got 17" rims W/GoodYears which means no PHP but I am satisfied.....for now
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    The surface area comes into play here too. More smaller holes can allow the more air to enter then fewer larger holes.
  • Options
    I weight 145 and noticed it before. It still has alittle movement, but a heck of of lot less then before.
  • Options
    alta_300malta_300m Member Posts: 54
    Ah I see now how its done after reviewing all of your photos. The original OEM Clock Face is removed and replaced with a Clear cutout from a CD Case and the "New Roman Numeral Clockface" is applied behind the new clear cutout.

I have a 2001, do you remove the Chrysler Wing logo emblem sticker from the original OEM clock Face and apply to the "New Roman Numeral Clockface" ?
  • Options
    ducati52ducati52 Member Posts: 12
    300kam by 300michael Apr 25, 2002 (01:35 pm)
    >>The surface area comes into play here too. More smaller holes can allow the more air to enter then fewer larger holes. <<

Not exactly. If you had, say, a 5" x 5" opening, the most flow would occur with one 5" x 5" hole. Each time you divide that space, you lose the area of whatever you're dividing it with. For instance, but a piece of window screen in that hole, and you reduce the flow by 50% or more.

If you have two air filters with the same surface area (ie: their total size if you were to unfold the fabric/paper), the only way one will flow more than the other is if the "holes" are bigger. The surface area of a K&N filter is virtually the same as a modern factory filter.

K&N filters do indeed have bigger "holes" than factory paper filters. They compensate for this by oiling the fabric, which grabs the particles out of the airstream. So, in theory at least, a clean, properly oiled (NOT overoiled, which is common) K&N air filter *should* flow a bit more air than a stock OEM paper filter.

But here's some food for thought: I race motorcycles, and we do a lot of tuning on my sponsor's DynoJet dyno. We've found on a fuel-injected engine, replacing the OEM air filter with a properly-oiled K&N filter often results in a *loss* of one or two hp (this being on a 600cc SuperSport racebike making about 100 hp at the rear wheel.) Swapping a clean, dry (not oiled) K&N filter for an OEM filter generally causes no change in hp output, and sometimes a small bump. Quite a few mc racers run dry K&Ns.

Another data point. A friend is an engineer at Cummins engine, and he showed me the results of extensive testing they did on K&N filters with heavy earthmoving equipment. They found that under normal jobsite conditions (ie: very dusty) the engines using K&N filters showed more wear (mostly valve seat and cylinder wall) than the control group, which used paper filters. Keep in mind that the filter expense for a company maintaining a fleet of heavy equipment is very high, so my friend at Cummins said they were actually hoping to see the K&N filters do better, as it could reduce operating expenses considerably. It wasn't to be, however.

With all that said, I have K&N filters in all my 4-wheeled vehicles, including the '99 300M I recently purchased. I'm not driving in jobsite conditions and it's cheaper in the long run vs. buying paper filters. But best off all, I put the sticker on the airbox, tell the kid at Jiffy Lube about it when I'm in for an oil change, and he doesn't drag me out into the service bay to show me the dirty airfilter that really should be replaced for $$. ;-)
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Ahhh........... I feel so much better now. My original Chrysler dealer, Madison Chrysler/Plymouth in Madison, CT just called. At first, I wasn't going to answer the phone because I saw who was calling, but I QUICKLY changed my mind!

How funny, after all these YEARS, they know my phone number! Too bad they never used it when they SHOULD have!

He wanted to know if I still had my 300M. That was about all he had the chance to say until I finally told him what I think of their dealership, their owners and their factory rep!! I was very nice, but he got a short recap of 3 years frustration in about 3 minutes! I'm sure he's sorry he ever called this number! At least he knows exactly how I feel and why I would NEVER recommend his dealership to ANYONE- friend or foe! Must have taken his dinner break now! ;-))

Also never heard another word about that $175.00 bill that Chrysler Financial sent me a while back. I never called them to inquire about it and they never called me or sent another bill. Can't wait until this comes to a head as I am sure it will!

My ears are ringing now. Bet they're having a big discussion about me! Good. I hope they remember EVERY word that I said because I meant every last word!

fastdriver
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Don't remove it. The one on my clock face is printed with the roman numerals; 2001+ custom clock faces wouldn't have this.
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    Thanks for the tips re . I'll try to remember that for next time!

Try this: download his file and save as "Rich Text Format". I think you'll find that it is indistinguishable from the same document in .doc format, except that it is only about 10k instead of 27k.

Also, while you are correct that Word Pad will handle the .doc, and Word Pad is distributed with Windows, that doesn't help those folks not running MSFT OS's. I'm quite certain we have posters here running on Macs, and I'd be surprised if we didn't have a Linux user or three as well.

Mike, this is not a slam to you. As I said, it's great you've gone to the trouble to compile and maintain the list and provide it on your web site. But why would you want to exclude anybody from taking advantage of it? It's not a big deal to me, and thus I've already wasted too much of everybody's time with it, but sometimes I just can't help myself. It's sort of an illness; please forgive me!

Igor
  • Options
    hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    Ahh, I know exactly what you mean and how it feels. MCI/Worldcom tried to screw me over once with a high bill due to a mistake they did. Fortunately good old Pac Bell came to my rescue. Not only did I write a nasty letter to the president of MCI but whenever they are calling me these days and asking me to switch, they get to hear my story :-) And then at the end I tell them: No, I don't mind paying more for AT&T...
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Actually, if you look at the rest of that guy's site, he has actually made some nice, easy, low cost mods om his Miata (zoom! zoom!), mostly using LED's for various lighting mods.

The "Type R" page definitely shows he's got a good sense of humor as well (biting my tongue so I don't use the "r" word here!!)

It reminds me of the old "Icy Hot Stuntaz" site...anyone here remember that one??
  • Options
    Be sure to post some pics of your new car!

We 99 owners have the benefit of 3 extra HP with no mods over all the later model guys!

Here's my site:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tsokol5/99.htm

It's not as informative as sdmike's site, but I'm working on it!

• Options
    andy300mandy300m Member Posts: 95
    ok, good points. I have not tried to actually save this doc as rtf, but agree with you that it is more portable this way in a sense that you can read it on almost any platform. its just that whenever you have a lot of formatting, tables, etc in a word doc, it usually looses formatting stuff when you save it in simpler format (rtf..m, txt, msword 95/97)....
  • Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Blonda, you're right, SM. I am on the 15 south M-F. Monday & Tuesday, afternoon and early (5:30ish) the other 3 days. My LS is silver with chrome wheels and Borla exhaust tips pointing down. I look for you and Big Red every time I'm on the 15 in the CM area. Ain't the 15 grand?! Where else can you go 90 and hardly get noticed!?

I was think of getting a few of our club members together and crashing your Carlsbad party, but I didn't want to spoil your fun ;). The biggest reason I opted for the Lincoln (besides I bleed Ford Blue) over the M was the FWD issue. I'd had it with cars that had so much weight up front that they plowed instead of turned. I'm not trying to start the FWD/RWD war all over aagin, just personal preference. And to be fair, I never drove the M. I saw the LS at the car show in 98 (?) and fell in love with it. The M is definitly one of the best looking cars out there! I hope DC doesn't go the way of Olds and make all their cars look alike, just a different size.

Enjoy your M's and keep up the interesting reading!
  • Options
    hmk123-

The only reason it felt so good to tell them off was because all the times I went there for "service", I ALWAYS held my tongue. Even the day I drove out of there after they replaced the rack and pinion steering and power steering pump, I never told them what I REALLY thought of them and their "service". Before I even went and picked up the car that day, I had already made up my mind that I didn't care if the car went straight, sideways or backwards- I was NEVER going back there again. I didn't like their condescending attitude. Of course, the car still went left because it was the tires, but they never mentioned that.

It took a while, but my day finally came. What goes around, comes around. Now if "award-winning 5-STAR" dealer #2 would call me, I could give them a piece of my mind too. Maybe Chrysler Financial will call instead! ;-)) I'll be better prepared this time and tell them things that Madison Chrysler didn't hear.

If they thought I was an a.. for believing everything they were telling me all the times I brought Christine there, they now know that I was on to them all the time and so was Detroit.

fastdriver
  • Options
    uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    You gota get the Weather Tech rain shieds. You can drop your window an inch and unless the rain is comming from the ground up your not going to get anywater in the M.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I have an idea...make it an RTF file and post it yourself. Well, I guess next time I mess with it I can save it in a different format.

M
  • Options

I placed my order. I just hope I get all the right pieces!
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    No, I'm not talking about becoming a waiter. I remember seeing a previous post showing a bunch of tips for the dual exhaust set ups.

I found at our local Pep Boys the Monza tips similar to 300michael's (yellow inside) and they aren't bad. They're 39.99 each. Hey Michael, are you satisfied with them and how do they look now since you've painted the yellow chrome?
  • Options
    achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    You SoCal guys crack me up-drying your carpet with a hair dryer! I am here to testify that an M can take a whole bunch of water with no ill effects. I've left the hole in the roof open a time or two and came out the next morning to find it covered with snow. I guess the only real gripe I have is that the DC guys who designed the door gutters should have to go out in the morning and get in a car that has been out all night in rain or snow. It is amazing how much water can fall out of the door to roof joint.
  • Options
    lol! I hope the hole in the roof was just vented, not all the way open!
  • Options
    ...is now an RTF file available at http://www.ritchiefamily.com/300m.htm. Thanks for the suggestion, I had never worked with RTF files much before and it seems to work fine. However, my intention never was to exclude anybody.
  • Options
    what kit included that piece? I've never seen it before.
  • Options
    I totally agree if had a filter the size of the 3" (ro 5") opening. But since the cone type filter come in sizes ranging up to 12" long and over 6" in diameter, not to mention being pleated. When you have something like over 400sq inches versus some filters the have 100sq inches the filter density comes into play. A window screen may cut down flow 50% but if you have a screen surface area that is double or triple the orginal area the flow will not be affected. (to the negitive). I do agree that the K&N filters do not filter as good as the paper ones I did a test awhile back myself. I agree with the findings you mentioned. But I too will keep mine on my car.
  • Options
    The monza tips are good for the price. I thimk is was fastdriver or easy that had the same ones and started to rust. If you have th bucks stainless steel ones will last longer. I like the looks of them, I am haveing trouble finding a paint that can handle the heat and moisture though. For get the 500 deg heat paint (doesn't cut it at all). I did drill some small drain holes on the bottom to see if it will keep the rust from starting. only time will tell.
  • Options
    300michael-

It wasn't me! I never touched ONE thing on Christine for fear that when something else went wrong with her the "award winning 5-STAR" dealers would try to blame me if I changed anything.

Besides, it was a lease-thank God for that! I was able to give it back to its maker after 33 months!

fastdriver
  • Options
    lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    First, the bad news. A couple of days ago I encountered the mother of all potholes in Coppell, Texas on my way to work. I couldn't change lanes (car beside me) or brake to avoid it. My right front Konig Tantrum wheel was ruined, big dent in the rim, but no damage to the Goodrich GForce KDW. Oh well, I'll have to buy a new wheel.
    Now, the worse news. I called Discount Tire and found that Konig has discontinued the Tantrum wheel. Was I going to have to buy FOUR new wheels?
    Finally, the good news. My Discount sales guy did a computer search of all their stores and warehouses nationwide and found ONE wheel in my size and offset left in the country! What's more, it was located in the Dallas warehouse, and was delivered and installed the same day. I also got a $50 discount on it since it was a discontinued item.
    While the wheel was off and the car on the lift, I took a close look at my tire wear and brake pads. The Goodrich tires I bought last August now have 20K miles on them and will probably have to be replaced before they reach 22K. I guess that's not too bad for Z rated tires that are as sticky as these are. I'll buy this brand again, for sure.
    The brakes pads are getting thin, but still close to a quarter inch of material left, but they have over 50K miles on them now. I'll replace them before I leave Dallas next month for my new contract position (which looks to be in Northern California, but not firm yet).
    By the way, over 50K miles now, and NO problems with my 300M (knock on wood!!). I still love this car!
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    Sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention. Please accept my humble apologies, and thanks again for all the great info you work so hard to provide.

Igor
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Are your tips rusting now? Is it just the inside or is it also the outside? What's been happening to the 500 degree paint? Is it just melting away? What about using black paint instead of chrome on the inside?
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Don't forget about these guys who have a nice selection of stainless tips. I have the T815's and they are very nice quality, and you can't beat their prices. They have a couple nice dual tip sets.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/toucan_tips01.htm

• Options
    no offense taken
  • Options
    What's the relevance of the crab? ;)
  • Options
    I had a feeling you would say your LS is silver --seems to be a popular color. I'll keep an eye out for those tips around SM (you're on the freeway too early for me to see you there).
  • Options
    I'm learing a lot about industrial lasers and the art of chip making. I'll be ready. ;) Now I just need to start a foreign language course.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    am I correct in assuming the air charger has an oil charged filter as opposed to regular type filter---
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Just got my 99M back from my local 5 star for the final warranty work on it. Absolutely no hassles with the minor warranty issues I took it in for. Thanks for the TSB numbers on the seat movement, although mine wasn't doing it these past few weeks, I showed them the TSB and they replaced the bolts. They didn't bat an eye at replacing my steering wheel that had one small spot of abnormal wear. In 36,000 miles, the only warranty work that was required was to replace the front grill (odd looking white stain on it), replace the power windows (only one failed, but they went ahead and replaced them all), and the seat movement and steering wheel issues. I've had no other problems what-so-ever with this car, and I only have great things to say about the dealer. Any M owners in Kansas City, the dealer is Keystone Chrysler in Mission, Kansas.
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    They work fine in rain but snow is another story. I have them on my Dakota and twice have left the windows down an inch in winter and came out to find more snow on my dash and steering column than on my roof.
  • Options
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Lynn, too bad that pothole wasn't in Dallas. The new mayor ran on a platform of fixing the potholes. If you need a set of Z-rated tires, Sears Auto Center at Valley View Mall had a slightly used set of 17" Michelin Pilots. Don't recall if you went to 18" on your aftermarket wheels. Call them if you are interested.

Silver
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Took the Bullet in to Preston Dodge at 7:30 AM to get the steering wheel replaced on warranty. Walked down to a coffee shop for breakfast, and before I was through with my meal they had called me on the cell phone and advised they were done.
    I received a post card notification of part arrival and had several calls from the Service Writer. (Evil wife kept deleting the messages. She thought it was a car salesman!) It was centered better than the original. I did notice the slightly "cardboard" feel of the new one others have mentioned. I gave it a coat of Zaino (what else?) Z-10. That improved the appearance and filled the car with that new leather smell.

OT- How 'bout them Mavericks? How are your teams doing?
  • Options
    Don't worry about the language thing -- we only require our employees to speak English (even he the ones in other countries). We just had a new recruiter take over some of the hiring, including that job so I don't even know if he's gotten around to that one yet, but I did see him meeting with the hiring manager at lunch today. I'll make sure he got your resume from the other recruiter. I will email you with his name and numbe if you want to follow up with him.
  • Options
    You know those rainshields were the first thing I thought of when I realized what had happened. Might be worth it, especially if it reduces the wind noise a little as Glennbp described.
  • Options
    Hey all,

I am looking for a lazy way to clean chrome wheels so that they look their best. I used some sort of cleaning solution in the past - liquid stuff you put on a towel, rub in, let it dry to a haze then wipe dry. It worked ok, but I hated spending this long. I know it may sound lazy, but I was actually looking for some stuff that you would spray on, let it work a few min, then rinse it. I saw some wheel cleaners at stores, but was not sure if they were ok if I overspray some on brake pads/rotors. Potentially damaging something with the chemicals was my biggest concern.
    Anyone had any good/bad experience with similar products? After I clean the wheels with such products, should I do like a polish/wax thing? thanks
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I just wash them once really good, then put Zaino Z2 on them. It makes cleaning them very easy. I reapply the Zaino about once every 3 to 4 months. I've been doing this for 2 and a half years and washing the wheels is pretty effortless. I don't trust any spray on stuff since it's usually pretty caustic and heaven help you if you get some on your paint. JMHO.
  • Options
    Meguire's "Hot Rims" All Wheel Cleaner sucks. It doesn an ok job cleaning but it leaves a milky residue that you have buff off with a clean towel. It's pretty stubborn. I thought maybe I didn't rinse it enough, but i tried it again and no amount of rinsing would keep it from developing the residue. I threw it away. Now I wash them like the rest of the car and polish them with Zaino Z2 every once in a while. Then I use the spray-on Z6 to make them shiny whenever I need to look my best. ;)
  • Options
    I've found that Ajax with bleach works wonders when removing the rusting rotor/carbon-kevlar residue caked onto my chrome wheels resulting from my cross-drilled rotors. I suggest not using Ajax if you don't have such residue, though...
  • Options
    I saw an M today with the front license plate mounted within the lower grille. He probably got to his car before the dealer drilled holes.
  • Options
    zaino z2 it is then! I'll give it a try after it finally stops raining here in Seattle (july? :-) ).
    Ajax? yeah right! How about SOS lol? scotian, are you serious?
    I do have some residue on the chrome, so just washing them prolly wont work very well.
  • Options
    have not tried on an M, i kinda like the clean but not shiny look on the tires. Seen lots of cars with tire wet (imports, civics, gangsta-mobiles) thought it looked stupid on some of them, IMHO.
  • Options
    I am serious -- Ajax. Only as a last resort. Doesn't seem to damage anything.