Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    psterpster Member Posts: 293
    I need to go back and read some of the posts about Chrysler's extended warranty contract, but in reading the exclusions in other 3rd party contracts, one has to wonder what the top of the line contracts do cover. I was amazed at the long list of exclusions - basically they exclude virtually anything that is subject to wear and tear. My fear, however, is that these same wear and tear items can also fail, and how do you cliam that a brake rotor warped prematurely?
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Of your trick. Although, it's not been that big of a problem on my M, but on the Ford products I own, the oil from the filter drips onto SOMETHING that then drips all over the garage floor, making a nasty mess.
  • Options
    V6 Camry's are the worst.....the oil filter is located immediately underneath the exhaust manifold, virtually assuring a wrist burn without long BBQ gloves being worn.....then, due to the contorted position your hands are in as they unscrew the filter, the oil is guranteed to drain out all over the top of the front engine mount, where it then runs down into the heat shield suspended under the exhaust pipe. I have to spray the entire front of the engine and mounts with degreaser and high pressure spray it after every oil change. Fantastic engine.....but the engineer that placed the filter was Tojo's cousin.
  • Options
    uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    This board with the new format realy sucks. Do what most of us 300M fans have done and switch over to The Enthusiasts board at
    http://www.300mclub.org/

Now I know that Pat will probably ban me for this post but who cares, I don't post here anymore anyway. Much better over there.

Mike (uxa300m)
  • Options
    truthandlifetruthandlife Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 300M and my front speakers are blown. Where can I pick some up at a good price? Do have to go to the Chrysler dealership to get them?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please, any of you who have comments about this latest redesign should post them here: Town Hall New Look. That is the ONLY place where you are going to be heard.
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Which ones do you need ? I have some extras.. I replaced everything with aftermarket... email me at ajpiii100873@aol.com
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Your conundrum is actually solved pretty easily. As ALL extended warranties/service contracts that I have seen in my 25 years in the industry exclude brake pads and rotors, it doesn't matter if they warped prematurely or not. Either way, they're not covered. :)
  • Options
    I live in St. Louis and the car thieves have in fact targeted the Sebrings and Stratus in particular. Thus far I have not heard of a 300M being stolen like this. They have figured out a way to get into the car, defeat all of Chrysler's anti-theft devices, and start them. Unfortunately, they are killing innocents as they race around town. One of them ran over a policeman last month and killed him. Father with kids. Personally, they should be shot on sight.
  • Options
    wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >>long (10") thin bolts ... to somehow strengthen or support the front fascia 1...(they are not heavy and had unthreaded tapered tips)<<

Those are headlight assembly bolts. The design gives the headlights a bit of suspension to live through jarring road bumps.

Gary, email me the VON, I'll get you a build date.
    I'm just back today from a vacation in Cuba, will be back in the plant tomorrow.
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I can chime in on this. I had a DC extended warranty. It doesn't cover water leaks(except windshield if factory), bad body seems, rubber seals/weatherstripping(including the bad ones around the door pillar that shrink)any interior trim(seats, leather, door panels, console, etc) brake rotors/pads, belts, hoses, glass, tires, rims, carpet, exhaust(except the emission copenents)Basically anything that isn't related to the normal maintance or wear item on a car.
    Also anything that is not on the covered list, consider it as not covered.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Golden Globe awards show is sponsored by Chrylser. Should see lots of Chrylser commercials along with top actors and actresses. If you can break away from the San Diego game for a litle while, it may be worth checking out. Starts at 7pm EST on NBC today (sunday 19th). I see Chrylser is also sponsoring the San Diego game.
  • Options
    Why in the world would they have taken out headlight support bolts to check the steering pump?
  • Options
    wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    Good question. I can only guess that they thought removing the headlamp and/or fascia may have offered more access to the PS pump.
    Incidentally, the plastic PS pump pulley is hydraulicly pressed on to the pump shaft in the factory. It takes some serious force to install or remove it.

>Why in the world would they have taken out headlight
    >support bolts to check the steering pump?
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I've been watching them, and have seen 3 of the new Chrysler ads so far. THEY ARE ABOSLUTELY WONDERFUL! I can't imagine a classier ad campaign, the first with the gorgeous Pacifica with Celine singing in the back seat, the nest with 2 PT Cruisers dueling in the desert, and the last a few minutes ago with Celine driving a new Crossfire over some winding roads, singing again. This, coming from a sixteen year old, I think Celine Dion is one of DC's best moves yet. That, and the very upscale, luxurious looks of the ads is terrific. I only hope there's also one with the 300M, finally giving it some worthy respect after so many years.

On another note, I have been told from a certain source on another forum who saw it, that there is a new corporate DC ad out that shows mainly the Crossfire, but then has a 1-2 second clip of the 2005 Chrysler 300 front. I have yet to see this myself (though I've stared at every inch of the three ads I have seen), but they said it was a front end virtually identical to the Chrysler 300 drawings that are on Car-Truck. I'll reserve final judgement until I see it myself, but this doesn't seem like an entirely bad thing.

I'm having very good feelings about the hit Chrysler is going to strike upon the market when they release the new rear-drive LX's. Finally, a domestic automaker making a trully worthwhile RWD, expressively designed sedan. That, and with a Hemi under the hood. Though we had that bad 300M experience, I am fully ready to come back to Chrysler myself, especially with hoping to purchase my first car this summer. I wish them all the success in the world!

On another appalling note, has anyone seen the Saturn Ion commercial that's been running the past few days? I have seen it so many times and it is SO HORRIBLE, I wanted to put a bullet in my head the last time I heard it. So terrible in fact, that I just sent a long letter expressing my disgrace off to Saturn. Maybe they need to hire some of DC's new marketing people (but then again, even that couldn't help the junk they sell!).

Three cheers for Chrysler! (Fastdriver, booked that appointment for me yet?! Something must be wrong....!)
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    It might be a sneak peek at the LX, but it could also be the front end of the Chronos, which bears a pretty strong resemblance to those drawings too. The Chronos has appeared in a large number of Chrysler print ad's over the last year or so.
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    What San Diego game????????????
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I believe the superbowl will be in San Diego---Hey SDMike--are you going to the superbowl?
  • Options
    Yes, I remember that car really well. But to quote from the exact words I was told, "It's a new Chrysler coporate commercial that shows a large part of the Crossfire, but then also shows clips of different Chrysler assembly lines and a few vehicles, including the new 300. It was clear which car this was, because IT RESEMBLED THE CHRONOS, BUT WAS SHARPER AND MORE SQUARED-OFF." So, no Chronos, but the 300 most likely.

I can see how one might think this, but apparently when you see it, you know something is new.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    you are pretending to be 16 years old again? :)
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Ouch...don't confuse the Raiders with San Diego. Most Chargers fans hate the Raiders. :-) Now it's time for us lock the doors and batten down the hatches....the Raiders fans are coming to town! Wait let me correct that -- MORE Raiders fans are coming to town. The bail bondsmen are happy -- business is going to pick up. (As it always does when they come to town but this time it's going to be a week-long party).

btw -- I turned off the tv about 10:30 -- never did see an M commercial during the Golden Globes unless then ran it after that. And I agree, the Crossfire sure does look nice. Although they did lower the hp on it from the original concept, it still may be pretty fast. (Just look at that little Honda S2000). Anyone see any specs on it yet?
  • Options
    this is the impression I get when I see the lack of 300M in commercials
  • Options
    why don't they make more commercials with 300M Special and say "look at this kick-a55 car we have made" and have it run slalom with a Corvette or something? Are they completely out of ideas?
  • Options
    That's an idea I'd like to see used. Show a mean, black 300M Special at a red light with an Acura or Bonneville beside it, each revving their engines. Of course, have the Special blow past them, with the smiling driver laughing his head off, before entering the twisties and really stretching the car's legs (like Acura does so often).

Or, as you suggested, have it on a track with a Corvette and a few other super/sports cars and have it lapping with them, passing them, etc. Making sure to that the exhaust rumble is well documented and a key focus. Or, if desired, haev Celine racing the M...Either way, a new 300M commercial like this would give it some attention as its life end draws near.

The pretty blue Acura lose another transmission yet? Just thought I'd ask.....what do you think you'll lease next time?
  • Options
    All these TV ad ideas are great folks, but I would much prefer Chyrsler invest its ad and design budget into a longer warranty period.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    beach15-

"(Fastdriver, booked that appointment for me yet?! Something must be wrong....!)"

It's set the minute you step foot on a Chrysler dealer's lot! ;-)))

fastdriver
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
  • Options
    topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    Was on Chrysler website the other day....They are showing a frontal shot of a car that could very well be the next 300....the entrance to the design center...
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    The image looks like that of the Citadel concept on the front end.
  • Options
    The Acura is still on tranny #2. Sometimes it shifts funny and makes me feel uneasy. It is still a blast to drive. And I still like the pretty blue color a lot.

If I were to lease another car, I would go in this order:

300M Special
    Infiniti G35 Coupe
    Infiniti G35 Sedan
    200? Pontiac GTO
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
    Mazda Mazda6 (with V6) although it needs a bit more power

P.S. Acura's are the best to lease because they have such a high residual value.
  • Options
    the upcoming Mazda RX-8, but I like torque and that car seriously lacks it.
  • Options
    Your ad idea isn't practical. Both the cars you mention would take the M off the line at a stop light, especially the Bonnie - sorry to say, but it's true. Hopefully the N will address that.

Besides, that isn't the image DC is trying to create for Chrysler anymore. The "in your face" ads are out. They're trying to create a more upmarket image hence Celine Dion and the beauty shot advertising. I'm sure that will come through loud and clear with the next 300.
  • Options
  • Options
    Who cares who takes who off the line....???? is that the true measure of a good car...???...Quality build,,,economy,,,comfort,etc.. I would think that would be some good criteria for the measure of good car....ADS??..All the car companys are guilty of promoting this Macho BS..Cars speeding around the twisty hills, sliding around in the desert in the sand All indicating ..I AM THE FASSTESSSST :):)And on the other end of the spectrum we are teaching safe driving at a moderate speed.. Who cares if they run 100 or 200...The speed limits are a max of 70 around the country....The rest will get you killed or a ticket....Guess that stop light stuff is still important to you boy racers.....:)
  • Options
    Explain to me why it is important that the new 300 address its prowess at a stoplight against other cars......????...I happen to think that it bears no importance at all to the true value or worth of a car....
  • Options
    beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    Well said. I bought a Special because I liked how it looked, how it was built and for more power only when I need it. My days of street racing are long since gone. Besides, I've never thought of any M as a race car but more of a great car.
  • Options
    they should just make a good ad showing a 300M Special from all angles, inside and out.

Everyone else sends their cars to a desert to run in circles and whip up clouds of dust. Even some crappy cars are portrayed as real barnstormers.

Why can't Chrysler send 300M Special to a desert and write a big S for Special with dust?
  • Options
    Chrysler could send a car to the desert,,,:) But then they would appear just as immature as the rest of the automakers...:)..Plus Celine is much better to look at and listen to..:)
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Fastdriver -

Deiter is contradicting himself. He says cars should be sold by giving the customer what they want at the right price. So why then are they seriously decontenting the M? Is that giving the customer what they want? I don't think so.

Desert Ads -
    The new PT Cruiser commercial they showed during the Golden Globes has 2 of them zipping around in the desert. Yes it's been used a kazillion times, but I couldn't help but think they should have used that particular commercial for the M.....sorry to say the PT Cruiser just doesn't have the look for speed and grace. Using a couple M's instead would have been a great way to showcase it's style and agility. But it appears they don't care to put any effort into selling the M anymore...
  • Options
    I took my 4.5 year old kids out for a bike ride the other day. As they were paassing a PT parked in someone's driveway they yelled "silly car, silly car"

they are only now starting to really tell the difference between cars (although they have known what mommy's and daddy's cars looked like for quite some time)
  • Options
    The service rep called to tell me they had replaced the steering pump....and oh....by the way, they also found a belt tensioner that was loose and making some noise which they kindly fixed "for free".....now that was the scary part -these guys don't wipe their own noses for free!!So why do I get the feeling I am about to pay $650 for what was actually only a bad tensioner (pulley?)? I work 12-14 hour days and feel like I am at the total mercy of these Service Reps. It's 15 degrees here and I have scant time or inclination to play games. Are they incented based on sales? I hate to be distrustful, but....
  • Options
    Perhaps that isn't what trips your trigger, but it is a criteria with many buyers. Chrysler has to appeal to a broader audience if it expects to increase market share. How the car stacks up against its competition on multiple levels is an issue and performance is one of the criteria.

I bought my Special because it fit what I was looking for too. But I'm not so naive as to ignore the fact that many people also passed it up because other products brought more to the table in the performance area.

Do you think the Magnum was just a random idea?
  • Options
  • Options
    Quality Improving??? without a doubt..!!!..My 02 300M....is excellent!!! build quality, economy, comfort, etc....as I said before one of the best if not the best car I have ever owned....!! I'm impressed...:):)....I think they will only get better...
  • Options
    Does Anyone know where the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) Wire is in the M ? Im Installing a Navigation system and need to find this wire.
  • Options
    lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    The vehicle speed signal is taken from the transmission output speed sensor, this signal is sent to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which converts it to a pulse per mile signal and then sends it to the Power train Control Module (PCM). The PCM then sends the vehicle speed info across the PCI bus to the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM then sends vehicle speed info to the instrument cluster.

So....I guess you need to know what kind of input the Nav system you are installing requires.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    The Vehicle speed Sensor signal wire is between the PCM powertrain control module and the TCM transmission control module. it is a 20 ga wire, white with a orange band. If you have a book it is on 8W 31 4 (of the 99 book). It was a pain to get to, as I remember. Which nav system did you get?
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the help... Im not looking forward to locating this wire... Especially since its in the Lower Teens here in Mass this days...

I ended up getting the Alpine NVE-N852A... Picked it up off ebay for a decent price, new in the box... It will work well with my other Alpine stuff... Cant wait to get her working...