Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    "I'm glad the new C is a hit, I think our M was underappreciated (and under-served by DC!). While the C styling has grown on me, our M is simply a better looking car."

My sentiments exactly! And, you may have noticed, there seem to be significantly more bugs in the 300C than the 300M had in it first year offering, judging by the Edmund's forums...the 300M was highly under-rated -- you really had to own one to fully appreciate it.

Actually, besides being better looking, the 300M is a better handling car and has a better drag coefficient, as well. Now, if only it had a hemi... :)
  • Options
    quietflyerquietflyer Member Posts: 33
    Latest update: I now have 76,500 miles on my 300M. I am still very happy with the car and it still looks great. Blew the right side door speaker recently (my fault, listening to a cassette!! too loud), replaced it in about 5 minutes. The car still gets 25 to 27 MPG on the highway using regular gas, actually seems to get lower mileage if I use mid-grade!

Regarding the new 300 / Magnum styling, the look is growing on me also but I still prefer a sleek design like the 300M. The new cars look too upright and boxy for me. Of the two I think I like the Dodge Magnum better as a wagon should be boxy. I still have not driven either one.
  • Options
    I posted yesterday about my resonating speaker that only resonates in the morning (!)

This morning I pinpointed the right speaker on the window as the culprit. I set up a CD (it resonates worst with this one) and the sound was very distorted on certain notes.

I tried again at noon, and it would not resonate!

I called my 5* Dodge dealer to let him know why I hadn't taken the car in after I had arranged to do so. I explained that it was a morning problem and I wasn't going to bring the car in until I could demonstrate the problem to them. He laughed and asked me which speaker it was and told me "No problem. I'll just order you one."

There are still pleasures left to experience in life... :)
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    I pulled my '99 Platinum M into work lot this morning nose to nose with a white M and a silver Special M immediately to my right. Too bad no M to my left. Nice sight, 3 Ms hangin' out...

Something weird is happening to me. Driving to work the other day, I saw a blue 300C pulling into an International House of Toast parking lot. First thought was, "That's a good looking car..." It must REALLY be growing on me, 'cuz I've never been a fan of its style. Or I need new contact lenses!!!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    Get your eyes checked!!! Quick!!! This could be serious!!!
    The 300 is still butt ugly to my eyes, as is the upcoming Dodge Charger shown in the new Car & Driver. I guess I'll drive my 96K mile 300M as long as it runs satisfactorily, then see what is available at that time. If I had to buy something today, the only car I've seen I have any interest in is the Pontiac GTO, and I would absolutely HATE to buy any car from Generous Motors. Oh well, perhaps the fact that it's really an Aussie car might absolve me from guilt at buying a GM car.
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • Options
    offended my sense of beauty from the 1st picture I saw of it last year! I will admit it has grown on me a little, especially after seeing the car in person -- it looked less like a cartoon than the pictures!

I still much prefer the styling of the 300M. I'm thinking by the time the 300C becomes totally inoffensive to me, the look will no longer be "hip" and I will be able to get one @ $7-8,000 off MSRP!

Right now, the only real attraction the C has for me is the hemi...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

• Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    If you are starting to see the 300C in a better light, quick, test drive two Corvettes [a C5 & C6], and call me in the morning. lol Actually, the Magnum is starting to grow on me a little but of course I have no desire or real use for it so I won't even test drive one. The Charger I am waiting to see. My dealer says a few have been built so we should see some at the shows pretty soon. Didn't like the renditions of it in C & D, but want to see it up close.
  • Options
    I still don't like the 300C styling -- for me it's all about the hemi! I would never consider the 300 with a 3.5L or (heaven forbid) a 2.7L engine...

I'm still waiting to see the Charger, too. Cars often look much better in person...

I am concerned, however, that the Charger might be to the 300C what the Intrepid was (is) to the 300M - i.e. Dodge will likely not be up to the quality and luxury level of the Chrysler...
  • Options
    ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    My 2000m is now 4 years old and still loving it. I have 50K and still original Goodyears and brakes. Have had no problems and still enjoy driving this car. I did take out 300c for a spin but wasn't really impressed. I am getting use to the stye but am not convinced that this is the way to go at this time. Wait until next year...(sounds like the Red Sox fans motto). Took a trip to Nova Scotia this summer and averaged 29 mpg on regular gas. Still love my M!!!!
  • Options
    That is the best reported mpg I have ever seen here. Best I have ever gotten with my 99 M is 27 mpg on a long trip. Routinely it is 20mpg around town and 25 mpg on most highway driving. How much do I love the M? I kept mine when I got a C5 Vette in July. Overruled the objections of my lovely wife. Still lovin it at 71K miles and 6+ years. And appalled when I read M/T did not include it in this months 100 Coolest Cars piece. Minis from two different eras, but no M. What were they thinkin/smokin???
  • Options
    Wow! 50K miles! What a performance.

First, on the original tires (goodyears, no less!) and on the brakes.

Second, on the 29mpg (on regular gas!)trip.

My wife and I have 03's and I have posted previously about the worsening gas mileage from 2000 to 2003.

I went to Vegas last Saturday on a day trip (wedding) and averaged 23.9 mpg (on the recommended 89 octane). However, much of the drive was @ 75-80 mph (averaged 73.7 mph for the total trip). If I had averaged 10 mph less, I would have gotten better gas mileage (maybe 10% better? -- I don't know). @ +10%, I would have gotten 26.3 mpg. But I doubt I would have gotten that.

Still love our M's in spite of the poorer gas mileage in the later models.
  • Options
    Saw a 300C in a different color today and my first reaction was, "Man, that is a stubby, blocky lookin' thing..." Must have been the shade of blue, angle of viewing and old contact lenses the other day!

I am pleased, however, that the C seems to be a hit. I think Chrysler deserves some reward for builing such an overall lovely car as our 300M. This month's Car and Driver has the new cars for '05 review. Under each mfg. they chart the changes from '04. Under 300M: Dead. Brought a tear to my eye.

BigMike: I think that my evil wife would allow me to buy a second, toy car for myself e.g a Boxter. BUT, my greatest fear is that she would then respond in more than kind e.g. buying out Tiffanys!!!

My '99 M is just over 63k miles, two of the original Goodyears (mounted in the rear) but new brakes at 60K. A few minor scrapes, interior looks pretty much new. Just a great car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Fortunately, my wife comes from a Scotch heritage, and would not attack Tiffanys. And really nice is we don't have a Tiffanys around here. In fact, I have tried to move her from her 00 Eldo to an 04 CTS but no go. Maybe after the Derby in the spring she will be more receptive to an 05 STS that they use for Derby exec cars and then discount. Our dealer in L-ville usually has 40-50 of those cars on hand. I continue to hold firm on keeping the M as my daily driver. But I must say it is getting harder and harder not to grab the keys to the Vette when I head out to work in the morning. That car just glides/blasts thru traffic.
  • Options
    Whoops, I made an error on the magazine rag that did not list the M as one of the top 100 cool cars. It was Automobile Magazine not C & D.
  • Options
    Well, after 4 years my spoiler developed a little crack/separation along the trailing edge in the center, where an LED would be if the spoiler had the light feature, which it doesn't. I did a little touch-up paint on it, not very good at it either, but then I checked the mfr's web site and instead of a one year or two year warranty, which I expected, they had upped their warranty from 3 years to a 5 year warranty. Called my Ziebart dealer who had installed it, he called the mfg, and a new one was shipped and is ready to be put on as soon as I can get it in the shop. Great service from Dawn Enterprises.
  • Options
    Mike,

Great news on your spoiler! I haven't thought seriously about installing one on my 300M; however, my wife is toying with the idea for hers.

It sounds like Ziebart handled the whole thing (purchase and installation). Can you tell me the cost (if you remember) and maybe give me a link to see what it looks like?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Dawn Enterprises, Inc. produced the one I have and it came painted, and the paint was absolutely a flawless match to what was on the car. The Ziebart dealer [my neighbor] uses that brand exclusively because the paint is so good. He charged me $318.00 installed. You can go to their site and see a pic of the one they have for the M. Not as angular as some. I liked the subtle curve.
  • Options
    bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    I took my 2000 300M on its last ride last night. I drove it to its new home because I sold it to a friend of mine. I replaced with a loaded Magnesium 300C. Anyway, I must say the 300M was one of the best cars I have owned in terms of reliability and comfort and overall looks. I only hope my 300C lives up to the same expectations.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Check out this 2000 300M on Ebay that has a whopping 179k miles! Strangely, at least from the pictures, the seats look pretty much perfect, along with the exterior. Only wear seems to be on the driver's armrest and floormat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- - gory=6175&item=2492073719&rd=1
  • Options
    morselandmorseland Member Posts: 25
    Dear Bob,
         I have our 1999 300M with 80,000 miles on it on the sales block right now, basically because the wife wants me to buy a new pickup truck after I bought her a new Magnum R/T.
          The 300M runs and looks like new, interior and exterior. The engine is as quiet as the day we got it. All the known problems with the 1999M have been taken care of and I am confident the car is good for another 100,000 miles, easily. Tell that to a dealer and look at his expression!
         I just have a feeling that 5 or 10 years from now I'll be kicking myself for selling such a fun and practical car for such short money. I guess only other 300M owners seem to appreciate how the car becomes an extension of the driver, how the car surrounds you and puts you at ease in all kinds of driving situations, how the beautiful exterior design conceals the comfortable and roomy interior and large trunk.
          Don't get me wrong, the Magnum R/T is a great car, the Hemi engine alone is worth the price of admission. But like you I can only hope I'll have the same fond feelings about the Magnum when its time to sell.
  • Options
    Good luck with the 300C, let's hope its a "liberal" and doesn't have the "pull to the right" problem. lol
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Until I am out from under my 99 M. I tried my best to be positive about this car, but now, I just hope it makes it thru this winter until my Prius gets in.

Tranny feels like it's getting ready to go yet again....seems to just LOVE third gear. When slowing and making a right turn, then starting to accellerate, it seems "sluggish". Dropping it into autostick shows it's in third gear. Slowing for a light (going about 10 mph) that turns green and pressing on the accelerator....sluggish, and once again autostick reveals third (and sometimes FOURTH) gear. Press a little harder and it drops into FIRST gear. Hardly a "smooth" experience. Combine that with the whine that is emanating from the tranny, and I'm just glad that I opted for the new tranny with the three year warranty as opposed to the rebuild with a one year warranty.

Over $5,000 worth of maintenance (and needing more) in less than 5 years and less than 70k miles is completely unaccptable to me. Congrats to those who get 100k+ miles out of these cars. AS for me, Chrysler might have designs that turn heads, indeed, my M is drop dead gorgeous. But at this point, I'd take something homely that was reliable. The M isn't that. I'll take the lowly $6k that this car will pull on trade and won't look back.
  • Options
    alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    Had a few runs with a 300 Limited. The 300 couldn't keep up with my 300M off a red light...seemed very sluggish and woudn't pick up, even at higher gears. We did another test off a 40 M.P.H roll, still got owned by my 300M. Thought it would be interesting to share...margin was so big that I want to test out against the very horribly heavy yet sport 300C. LOL.
  • Options
    Which proves what we already knew -- the M is more than just a pretty face! :)

The 300, on the other hand -- without the "C" -- is ?????
  • Options
    morselandmorseland Member Posts: 25
    Dear Alcatraz,

You definetly need the Hemi. The car seems more solid than overweight. The acceleration is smoother and more linear than the 300M, not the all or nothing feeling of power you get from the six cylinder. The engine itself is quieter with a beautiful exhaust note.
         The Hemi in our Magnum R/T gets 23-24 miles to the gallon on the highway if a drive conservatively, not much worse than our 300M.
         I can't wait to test drive the larger Hemi next year in the 300C. It should be awesome.
  • Options
    dukeofdallasdukeofdallas Member Posts: 52
    Well, I very recently sold my '99 with 105k on the dial. It was a very reliable and enjoyable car to own. Far better in all categories than the 2 Japanese cars I owned before. Not sure yet what will replace it. I'd get the C if I could really afford it.

Anyway, I thank you guys for all the helpful hints and advice.
  • Options
    synch22synch22 Member Posts: 16
    can someone recommend some tires, we are @ the 65000 mile mark and everything has been good, the stock tires are a biut pricey, not sure if its worth to spend $800 can i get some thoughts and opinions. we have a 200 300m 65000 miles, its been a great car
  • Options
    Yokohama were the most recommended tires to replace the OEM tires over the last 5 years. Don't know which version is current now--Avid 4's were the ones I recall. I went bigger with Goodrich Comp TA's in 245/50-17's and they show virtually no wear at 31K miles. I think others have used another Goodrich tire with a K in the name and the Scorcher is another good option.
  • Options
    synch22synch22 Member Posts: 16
    cool ill look into the tires. Like i said we are at the 65k mile mark, and we never got a full service... not sure when we were supposed to, i dont want to go into dealer, but can someone give me a run down of the major stuff to keep the car, we do the oil chagne regularly thats about it.
    I just want to go get some fluids changed and some spark plugs... not a $500 service by a dealer, can i do this?? I look forward to another 65k with no hassle.

also ball park tire $$ figures would be helpfull
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    the yoko's run about 450 a set mounted and balanced.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I bought the BF Goodrich Traction T/A in oem size for my 2000M. They are very reasonably priced at about $74 ea on tirerack.com. It's a t- rated tire so not meant for speeds over 118 mph but who goes that fast anyway. They handle great and the name fits---they have outstanding wet traction and should also be good in the snow going by the blocky treat pattern. If I were to comment on any weak point for this tire, it would be that they are a bit noisier than the Yokos which were my previous tire (which were v-rated and cost more than the Goodrich. I think you can now get the yoko avid-H rated tire for about $110 at tirerack. But I prefer the BF Goodrich and saved some money too. And as a bonus they come with a 70k mile prorated warranty.
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I put V rated Yokohama tires on to replace the stock 17" Michelin Pilots and have been very satisfied with the performance over 10k miles. They hold air pressure better than any tire, but that may be due to careful mounting by Discount Tire.
  • Options
    synch22- I would be most concerned with the tranny if it has not been serviced yet. I try to make sure they do a service every 30K miles on the tranny and if my dealer could have done a flush at 60K I would have had it done on the 2nd tranny service. They had just got the flush machine in and I wasn't about to be the "guinea pig" on that effort so I just went with a regular service of the tranny instead. I would have an alignment check with the new tires, and a tire store might throw that in along with the balancing and mounting when you buy the tires. I would certainly ask for it if your going to spend $400 on tires with them. I changed all the belts including the serpentine [which cost the most for the exterior belts-the timing belt is inside the casing and gets a look at 100K], and all the hoses, except the tranny hoses] at 5 years [I'm only at 71K miles, but I figured belts and hoses of rubber compound can go bad-deteriorate/crack in that amount of time, so I changed em. If you don't want to do it all at once, I would start with the tranny service, and then look at hoses and belts. I plan on looking at my shocks about 75K, probably next spring. Changing the oil and filter and lubing the car every 3K is good practice. Oil is the life-blood of the car.
  • Options
    64K miles, that is. My '99M turns 64 today and all is well. PJYoung, sorry you're M experience was a sour one. I'm hoping to continue into '05 with no issues. Next month is the NE Auto Show where I'll begin comparing/contrasting possible replacements. Then I'll look at the prices and get sad. Until I see my M again!

In the realm of "reasonably" priced cars, the G35, FX35 and Acura TL are strong contenders. Moving up, I'm intrigued by the forthcoming RL and M45 as well as continuing to think the E Class MB is a beautiful car both inside and out. Haven't driven any of them yet, though. Although I've always (until the M) owned Japaneese and enjoyed excellent reliability, my M experience leaves me more willing to "take a chance" on European/Domestic autos.

Maybe a Mini convertible? Scion xA? Boxter (oh, yeah. Kids) or 3 Series? Shopping is free...

• Options
    "Next month is the NE Auto Show where I'll begin comparing/contrasting possible replacements."

Maybe you'll get a look at the new Charger! I take it, by omission, the 300C is out of the running...
  • Options
    No, the 300C isn't on the list. Beyond the styling which doesn't work for me (especially compared to our M), I'm looking to downsize a bit. Which is why the FX, which never fails to turn my head, is tempting but unlikely. Most of the time I'm alone in the car. I drop both kids at the bus stop in the morn and then the 20 mile commute to work. Evil wife picks 'em up in the standard issue soccer mom psuedo-SUV. Another nail in the FX coffin, don't really need two SUV types in the family. But then again, who cars about NEED!!!

• Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I replaced my 300M with a FX35. Do it you will not regret it. It is quicker and handles better than the 300 did. It also has been very reliable car unlike my 300 was. Chrysler makes beautiful cars but they need to get dealer service and reliability down. My FX is the first model year and has had less problems than my 01 M did. The other choice would be the TL which I also think is very nice.
  • Options
    I know what you mean about the 300C -- it's got a love it or hate it look! I have softened from my original "hate it" position, but I haven't quite got to the "love it" mode. That's one reason I am looking to see what the Charger is all about it when it comes on the market. BTW, I feel the same way about the FX that you feel about the C...can't warm up to it.

Still haven't found anything that makes me want to give up my M! :)
  • Options
    I would take a hard look at the CTS too. Since they upgraded the engine to 255 h.p. it is supposed to be pretty quick, and it is almost as generous in space and trunk as the M. I looked at the CTS, the new STS and the C-6 Vette this weekend at my dealer's coming-out-party for the new models. I didn't get to test drive any, but will at a later date. I was not impressed with the overall appearance of the STS. It has CTS lines, but that makes the design about 3 years old, so no "breakthrough" there. The seats were fairly hard, the back seat leg room was less than I would have expected--less than our M certainly, and the trunk and its opening were smaller than expected. I paced out the size of the cars and it seems to be just slightly longer than the CTS. It was black and stickered for $48K plus the luxury package was another $11.8K--gulp--almost 60K for a first year build. The order line forms right over here....lol. The new Vette did not make me think I did bad getting the end of year 04. Seats were about the same, it had that "start with a button" and doors opening by the sending unit being near it, and then touching a pad inside a slot on the door. Big deal. Interior touches included a brushed aluminum tip on the hand brake and a few other places. Ho-hum. The roof stowed a little diffenently in the back and that seemed better space wise than my 04, but I can't say for sure since I've never had the roof out in the 3 months I've had it. Will probably only take it out to lube the seals/moldings so they don't crack. The factory was also shut down for a couple of days last week as they had a problem with 5th gear on the 6 speed manual tranny. They resumed production of automatics only and were awaiting a shipment of new manuals while they also checked out produced but not shipped cars. Ouch. First year build. Line forms over here...lol. In short, I am glad I got an 04, and double glad I have kept my M for most of my driving. Now, whether the wife gets moved up to a CTS or STS in the spring will depend on the discounts and test drive. In the meantime I got an extended warranty on her 00 Eldo [$1,300 thru my credit union] that pro-rates a refund if we trade it. So we should be fairly safe til we decided.

By the way, I tried Mother's "Back to Black" on the moldings of a Platinum Edition 03 M the other night, that belong to a woman in the wife's bridge group. I think it helped get rid of that ugly look that had developed. [Was kinda dark when I finished so I couldn't be too sure.] Didn't have the problem with my 99 as we had a matte finish on those door moldings. Anyone use anything else that worked better?
  • Options
    Thanks, CL. I'll probably (if I really decide to replace the M...) test drive both the FX35 and G35X. I always thought the FX had a nicer interior, not to mention the hatchback utility, than the G35 (and much cooler style!). Now that the '05 G will have an interior and exterior re-do and power similar to the FX, the tidier size may appeal more to me. Since the evil wife has the RX, we have the hatchback utility covered. But, then again, the FX is just so cool (and a wicked ride, I know)!

Intrepid: I'm kinda the same. While I WANT a new car, nothing has really set my soul on fire enough to replace my M. Everytime I look at it or drive it I think why spend the $$$. I've got a winner right here! I do look forward to a quiter ride at some point, though. But, even though my M has been a faithful servant, in the back of my mind I hear a little voice saying, "First model year, domestic, CHRYSLER! Sell it before the (insert major system name here) GOES!" I'm sure that won't happen, though...

Although on style alone, the TL also always catches my eye.

• Options
    BigMike: I think I need an initial emotional attraction to a car and have never had it for the CTS. While, like the 300C, the CTS style has grown on me I still think it is just too overdone. Don't like the proportions, basic shape is OK, but instead of plasticizing it a la Pontiac Caddy just kept adding layers of metal and shapes. Plus when I checked out the interior/price I was shocked. To me, Impala material interior, Caddy price. As you mentioned, discounts and rebates. I wonder if CAddy's aggressive (read HIGH!) prices as of late are scaring away customers or are most savvy enough to know that rebates/incentives are usually just around the corner for domestics?

The pix/commercials for the STS haven't moved me either. They've toned down the CTS look, but it still looks kind of tall and stubby to me. Plus the price and size. I'll of course check all this out again next month at the Auto Show.

I think it may boil down to when I buy: do I wait 'till later '05 for the M45/RL to be more available or do I go for the post XMas week to bargain on an '05 TL/FX/G... or that darn overpriced but darn attractive E Class???

• Options
    naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    I have not posting anything here in a couple months (even my auto signon no longer worked but luckily I remembered the id/pswd) but I do scan this every week or two. I just topped 6000 miles in our new purchased late March 04 red 300M - no problems under warranty so far! First time ever in any car I have gone this long w/o even some nit problem. I used this forum, Edmunds, and a few others like epinions and consumerreview when we made our purchase decision late winter. I am still awaiting our first Minnesota snow to see if I made the right choice getting the FWD version vs the new 300. As for my wife, no doubts she loves the styling on this and even after seeing a few new 300/300Cs, cannot stand them. It appears to be more of a macho style. A few guys at work are really impressed by the looks and V8 of course, but when then find out they are RWD only that ends it. Even chatting with the sales manager at our local dealer, he admits until they have the AWD version (I think next year?) sales will be limited in the the snow belt. But apparently they are still pretty hot nationwide as I saw a news clip DC sold over 50,000 in less than 6 months - probably a big help to them as minivans continue to cool.

Anyway, any other buyers out there of a NEW 2004 300M? How's yours doing? Anyone drive it in the winter months on snow, advice? (I recall someone back in Feb or March from the NE saying theirs did well in the snow which helped calm me seeing these Michelin touring style tires w/o a real aggressive tread ... guess I am spoiled also owning a Jeep GC with the Goodyear SRAs). Thanks to the others who have models of the past 5 years too, enjoyable reading that most at least really do like the car.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree! This forum has become much too quiet! At one time we would get 20-30 posts a day consistently.

We (my wife and I) are each on our second 300M. My first was a 2000 on lease and my current is a 2003 (purchased). My wife's first was a 2001 (purchased) which she totalled and replaced earlier this year with a 2003 demo. As you can see, we love the 300M!

The 2004 is virtually the same as the 2003. Both year's productions were shortened to prepare for the new 300. We don't have the snow problems in Southern California, but we have found all our 300M's to be very reliable. My only complaint is some decontenting in the later models and some engine tuning that has resulted in 5-10% less gas mileage. I believe the later models do run more smoothly, however.
  • Options
    The only suggestion I can make is to drop the air pressure in the tires a pound or two for a little more grab. I have had no problems in KY on snow [rarely] or icy roads [more often] over the last six winters. I expect to use the M in deference to the survival of my new Vette and the EMT tires it uses. No way I am putting $1000 worth of winter tires and rims on that baby. Let her rest in the garage except for clean roads and clear days.
  • Options
    Has been just fine in the snows of New England. A few times the traction control has helped me get out of my mildly steep driveway/side street, but never been stuck or scared. As always, be smart when driving through the white (or wet) stuff. That always helps...!

• Options
    duffer5duffer5 Member Posts: 10
    I bought a 2003 M with all the goodies because:(a) I loved the style; (b) my brother-in-law has a 2000 M and had no problems;(c) my '95 Intrepid had 104K and beginning transmission problems; (d) 0% financing. Since my 2003 is very similar to your 2004, I can allay some of your fears. The 300M is good in our snow and I have the OEM Michelins --no problem getting around last winter in MD while my 2000 Mustang GT 5-spd was undrivable (even with traction control)with its original tires. I really like FWD for the snow conditions we face in MD.
       I now have 26,000 miles with only 1 problem to report. The airbag light stayed on but a faulty airbag module was replaced and problem was solved. I am quite pleased with my 300; it is a great trip car and can get ~27 mpg at a steady 65 mph. Trips have been very enjoyable. I hope to drive it for another 10 years. Good luck with yours!
  • Options
    naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    So thanks to you duffer5 on the reliability and snow driving advice (and also to intrepidspirit, good to hear the vehicle has treated you so well). Looks like the 10 day forecast is for some rain but no snow yet....we usually get a few inches in first half of November but if we are lucky in southern MN don't get the stuff that stays on the ground thru March until after Thanksgiving. This did remind me to Rainx both front and rear windows before it gets too cold to apply the stuff.

At least we generated a few days more activity. I will keep checking every week or two to keep this forum alive!
  • Options
    does RainX help with snow removal from the windshield? Does it have any affect on window wiper efficiency? How often do you have to reapply it?
  • Options
    The BF Goodrich traction T/A s are supposed to be a great all season tire and have a tread pattern that should be very good in snow. And they are very inexpensive.

They handle great in the rain and also in the dry. Great tire.