Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra's w 8100/Allison

Comments

• Options
    noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    I've got about 700 mi. on mine. I was gonna change oil at 500 mi. with Mobil 1 synthetic, but a mechanic I know has almost talked me into keeping the original oil in for 3000 mi. His opinion is that the break-in (non-detergent) oil should stay in for that long claiming that detergent oil, if put in too soon, can glaze the cylinder walls preventing the rings from seating creating an oil burner. Years back I believe this was a prevalent view, but I don't know any more. It depends on whether they're using the same additives. He's an old timer and has a lot of experience which is why I listen to him. It would be interesting to know if there's any correlation between the problems we're hearing about oil consumption and switching to detergent too soon, presuming the factory uses non-detergent for break-in. However, I don't even know if this is so. I'll call the dealer in the morning and see if they know. HA! Anyway, I'm undecided. Anyone have any thoughts?

-David
  • Options
    bobsquatchbobsquatch Member Posts: 136
    I am probably being over cautious but I changed my oil in my explorer at 200, 500 and 1000 miles then went to regular schedule until 10,000 when I switched to mobil 1. I would not switch to synthetic till at least 5000 miles to give it a chance to break in. All of this is probably unnecessary but I figure it can't hurt.
  • Options
    Just talked to a service guy at my dealership. Now you might expect his vested interest to cause him to respond something like, " 700 miles? Yeah, bring it on in. Get that nasty old stuff out of there." But instead I got something like, " Naw, that's old school which is a load of bull. You need to keep the original oil in 3-4 thousand miles for the rings to seat properly. That contamination helps to seat the rings." (I presume it acts like a mild honing solution.) What you wonder is, what does it do to the bearings and other moving parts? Can this practise be linked to the knock?
    Is your truck an 8.1L? If so, does it knock or use oil? If either, when did it begin?
    Thanks a lot for your interest.

-David
  • Options
    1i2cu1i2cu Member Posts: 32
    The whine we hear is the H.D. oil pump in it, required to circulate the 22 quarts of fluid it holds. When the truck sits for more then a hour, and you began to drive, the trans is locked in first until you have driven for 1/4 to 1/2 mile, you can wind it up as far yu want (4000-6000 rpm)and it will not shift out of first. I am told that this programed to due this, so the heater will start throwing off heat.
  • Options
    1i2cu1i2cu Member Posts: 32
    If you bought $1000 worth of Nortel stock oneyear ago, it would be worth about $49.

If you bought $1000 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, and traded in the cans for the deposit, you would have about $158.

Advice is to start drinking heavily.
    LOL
  • Options
    Mine shifts at 17-1900 rpm (12-14mph) no matter what the conditions. Thankfully, it's been pretty flawless. With only 700 miles the whine has, as predicted by others, decreased significantly since I drove it off the lot. Actually, I never minded the whine anyway. It always sounded to me like there was just some heavy duty beef down there.

-David
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..but Bud is a no go for a seasoned drinker like me.....ya trying to kill me or what?

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    I doubt the break in oil contributes to the knock but I don't have a GM so my opinion is not as relavent. I just think as you stated if you are wearing in the rings with the oil you are wearing out everything else. My philosophy is loose the oil and extend your break in driving habits and milage. Your rings will seat and your bearings will thank you. My $.02
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise. I'm still undecided.

If you haven't already, check out http://www.blackstone-labs.com. There's some interesting stuff there, especially about the effectiveness of off-line oil filters.

David

• Options
    4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    I think someone was BSing you on the lock in 1st gear for a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. It is NOT programmed to do that. You would not be able to go anywhere fast and would hold up a lot of people, you obviously don't have an 8.1L or DMAX as neither one of these has this "feature".

By the way the dry fill for the Allison 1000 series tranny is 12.7 qts with the shallow pan (standard on all 2500HD Allisons).
  • Options
    scrutinizerscrutinizer Member Posts: 5
    Now that you mention it 4x4 man, mine has that "someone bumped me from behind" thing you mentioned.(maybe) It seems like it downshifts hard to me actually. But only into 2nd maybe 1st. Mostly 1st I guess. Richcolo, your synopsis of the tow haul mode makes perfect sense to me. Now that I've read it, I wondered why I hadn't thought of that. And as far as 1i2cu's post about driving 1/4-1/2 mile before the tranny will shift up, I must say that wouldn't make any sense. Mine will shift right out, if anything, too soon. It actually feels like it's stalling the motor out when it's cold. (when shiting into 2nd that is) The other thing it does is downshifts every time I hit the brakes between 40-50 mph, regardless of the tow haul setting. I thought from reading the manual (and what would seem to only make sense) that it would only do this in tow haul mode. Any one else experience this? I did, however, get 12 mpg from the last tank full. It's at 2200 miles now. Seems like my knock is not when cold, but after it sits a few hours after being driven. I'm sure it's "normal", at least to the finance people at GM who handle the warranty claims! And to think, if I get a bad pair of boots, I take 'em back.
  • Options
    Try downshifting to first automatically when you come to a stop light at about 2-3 mph. About three or four times of this and this fixed my problem, it should fix yours. It has to do with the adaptive learning style. Be carefull not to put it into first to soon or you will be under the hood helping after it launches you forward!! Been there down that..ooopppss! :-D

From what I have read on other boards the grade braking feature works whether you are in tow haul or not. It was something like if you use the brakes for more than 4 seconds will downshift. If I am on a level road and put the brakes on, it usually doesn't downshift, but if I am going down any type of hill and use the brakes it will downshift. Anyway I read that on the diesel page from some Allison experts.

Bob
  • Options
    n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    In First and Second gearing because they are Straight Cut gears rather than Helical Cut resulting in an engineered higher strength tooth shape.

Heaven help us if its coming from the OIL PUMP!!!

75v
  • Options
    I get that same bump now and then when coming to a stop. I'm gonna try that manual downshifting trick. Mine also downshifts while breaking when not in tow/haul. What I've noticed lately though is a bump while backing. It usually happens after about 75-100 ft. There's no metallic sound as if it were the ring and pinion. It's odd. It's beginning to happen pretty consistently. Anybody else get this?
    Oh, btw, After 996 miles:
    1st tank, 10.34
    2nd tank, 10.86
    3rd tank, 11.93
    I couldn't be more pleased with this truck. I keep finding stuff I didn't know I had like that steering wheel adjuster. Whoop-de-doo.

-David
  • Options
    If you do it could explain some minor bumps and thumps. Some lockers do this a lot and it is normal.
  • Options
    AAHH! Yes, I do have a locker.
    Thanks, Bob.

Added to Post# 865 for the benefit of those interested, the truck is: X-cab,LB,4WD,3.73,Snug Top,OEM tires.

-David
  • Options
    shrollshroll Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for a new truck. Can any one tell me the mileage they getting with this combo. Can't decide 8.1 or Duramax
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    First three tanks with a 2002 duramax/allison xcab 4x4.

Pickup up with 315 miles
    1st 18
    2nd 16 with over 14 hours on tank and some towing
    3rd 19

Love the duramax

Hunter
  • Options
    If milage is your only concern, the diesel will be the best choice hands down from all three manufacturers
  • Options
    I am getting about 10-11 mpg in stop and go traffic with my 8.1L and 4.10 gears. Best highway mileage was 14mpg.
    I agree that if mileage is your only concern the diesel takes first place.

Bob
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You finally got that thing! Put up a pic for us!
  • Options
    Did you have any luck with Burt? Or Len Lyall?
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    where have you been he did post it. He even posted it at my site (you know the thing that died)

haha
  • Options
    Okay, I just found it. Another pretty pewter truck! Looks like he stole it though, with that thingy on the window...
  • Options
    Like they say

"drive it like you stole it"

You already have 10K on your truck? Im almost to 22K

Also since you have been gone have you see what i have done to mine (painted mirrors, added shocks?)

Ryan
  • Options
    I got a pulse (at Babs site, although a very slight one hehe)
    Yeah I traded trucks :)
    I bought a 2002 GMC Ext Cab 4x4 SLE Duramax/Allison/Eaton
    Pewter/Graphite cloth
    Power Mirrors, Compass mirror, tinted windows.
    Traded in the 2000 model 1500 and got $22,000 for her with 28,000 miles on it. Paid 2% over invoice on the new one. The list was $38976. Ended up financing the whole amount at 0%, got a check for $22500 to me for the trade to put in the bank and have payments over 1000 per month now ;( at 0% :) I plan on using the money probable as downpayment on farmground that I want to buy right now. I have 1000 miles on the Duramax right now and love it, she gets 4 mpg better at least than my 5.3L did. She is gonna be an expensive girl when I get her all done with new tires (right now thinking kelly MSR 255x85R16), spray in bedliner, dmi hitch $500, gooseneck hitch $400-$500, nerf bars, bedrail caps, bug shield just to name a few.

Hunter

PS, I hope the pic on RYANs site still works under the HD section, that was off the dealer website, it shows up on my computer, but I don't know about anyone elses. Because I am sure that the dealer has changed their site by now. I need to figure out how to do a picturail site I guess.

Well time to go for a 2 hour drive :):);)

Hunter
  • Options
    I may be deaf and mute, but I can still read! Of course I know all about your Bilsteins and painted mirrors. Saw pictures of both!

Eventually, I'm gonna put Bilsteins on back, Edelbrock IAS on front. I don't think either company makes them for 2500HD yet, hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    not for 2500HD yet

I had to wait a month for mine (fronts on back order)
  • Options
    One thing to keep in mind, not sure if it's right for you, but interest on your home is deductible, interest on your truck is not. For some people, it's a good idea to take out a second mortage on the house to pay off the truck note, and get the interest deduction on the tax return. I see why you did it though, 0% and all.
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Have you done anything about the knock yet? After alot of procrastination, I finally took the few minutes and now have the Major Guard 6 year $0 deductible warranty courtesy of GM. Let me know if I can help you out.
    -Eric
  • Options
    ...but when you deduct the interset from a home equity loan..it's supposed to be for home improvement.....

Lot's of people buy cars though.....although ya might get caught!

- Tim
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You can do it the way Quad says...buy financial advisors don't recommend using home equity money to buy a depreciating asset.
  • Options
    I didn't do it that way, even though my wife and "financial advisor" say I should have. Didn't know that the deduction had to be for home improvement either. Probably right though. But a 2nd mortgage could be for anything I thought...vacation, college, just using the equity in your home. If IRS does not allow, than it must indeed be a loophole...
  • Options
    loan CAN be for anything....but when you deduct the interest...it is supposed to be for home improvement

- Tim
  • Options
    take out a school loan no interest till you graduate. Pay back anytime

Had a few friends get them and buy motorcycles and then paid off the loan within a few months.

Free money (travel expense i guess gotta get to school somehow hehe)

Ryan
  • Options
    emthoustonemthouston Member Posts: 12
    Sure glad that I decided to log in and check this site out. Recently bought a new 2001 truck. It has the 8.1/4.10 drive train. I wanted the diesel, but, dealers too proud of them here in Houston. Am very happy with this truck. I traded in a '97 Z-71 Ext. cab. I needed more room and extra towing. I sure have it now.! I was very concerned about the "whine" at idle and during acceleration. I never noticed the noise during earlier test drives. Guess I only ran engine after I closed the door. My truck is very quiet inside. Thanks for all of the info.
  • Options
    Had a very expensive week,
    Bought 5 Kelly 255x85R16 (33x10) Safari AWR all terrain tires and like them pretty well, sure changed the looks of the truck.

Have Westin CPS tube steps on order for Friday, along with a bug shield. From the dealer have on order GM bedrail caps, and the 2000 fold down cupholder in graphite. I have also been looking at DMI hitches and spray in bedliners.

This truck is getting EXPENSIVE!!!

Still love it though. Oh yeah, with the 33" tires, the quarter mile speed jumped by at 5 mph to about 85, because it stays in the lower gears longer on the diesel. Haven't checked milage with the new tires yet, the odometer is off 9% now, but it is lower this tank because of a lot of towing, full throttle runs, quarters, ect 14ish probable.

Have a great week

Hunter

PS, interest expense is deductible if it is a business expense (FARM). Which can come in handy sometimes. Still live with the parents, (like RYAN) the house is paid for, but the farmland is not, but the interest is deductible, along with machinery and operating loans if need to be utilized.
  • Options
    tires for noise?

- Tim
  • Options
    They are only an 8 ply. LOL

-Eric
  • Options
    .......just wondering.....

had no experience with Kelly's...

...I believe 245 is the norm for 10 ply......someone makes a 265 I think?

....there is a reason I am sure GM gives you donut tires!

- Tim
  • Options
    indian4indian4 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought the 8.1 engine with the Allison transmission. Didn't drive it for a week and when I tried, the transmission wouldn't engage. The engine just rev'd. Talked to the dealer and they told me there is a design defect with the Allison. It seems that when the truck sits idle for a couple of days, the transmission fluid drains into the pan and creates an air pocket. I called the GM complaint desk and they agreed with the diagnosis, but had no solution. Anyone else having this problem?
  • Options
    cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    My 8.1/Allison sat for a little over 2 weeks once and I started and backed right out of the garage and took off down the road. No problem at all. The only problem I have had was the cam sensor went bad. The only way I knew it was the Check Engine light come on.
    cowboyjohn
  • Options
    You looking to make the 3/4 a little bigger? What is the matter? Park next to Ryan and realize his little 1/2 is bigger than your 3/4...LOL
    -Eric
  • Options
    ..a little 1/2!

LOL

I agree 265's look better on the 2500...vs the 245's..but I have lived for over 2 years....

being the HD is higher.....I just can't live with them.....and would have to go with 255's......and changing back to 245's if I ever did high end towing....

and whenever I get motivated to put for sale signs in the old winders....I'll order me a 2002 2500HD CC.....

Until then......."see how they run like pigs from a gun"....

...and have a drink on me

- Tim
  • Options
    i wonder if you parked your 2500LD next to my 1500 if mine would be bigger?

HMMM
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    to the word FOREHEAD. Now if it is swappable with the 1500 hood....it might stand a chance. Don't know why GM did it as it just exposes more area to rocks and pebbles to chip away at. Course you could always buy a HD bug guard.......
  • Options
    many of us have the GMC version, which does not have the bulge.

Eggman (walrus): how are the Firestones in the snow? I have not changed mine, but if you said the A/T have no performance in the winter, I guess that would be the reason to change over to the 255/85s. I actually have no complaints (other than visual aspects).

-Eric
  • Options
    Changed their transmission filter yet? Where is the filter available (is it dealer only)? How much spillage if any? Just wondering since it is recommended to be changed @ 5K.
    -Eric
  • Options
    ...if I had a 2WD 2500 LD with a 5.3......I guess I could compare?

haha

..call it all ya want Ryan.....ya made a mistake with that 1500.... admit it!

BWHAHAHAHHAAHa

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.