Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• Options
    newronewro Member Posts: 21
    Bill,
    Thanks for the input. I have seen the Ascender and its not a bad looking truck, but if its a re-badged GMC seems like it would be easier to get service and warranty from GMC than Isuzu. Dealers are few and far between these days.Not sure if I am willing to roll the dice on Isuzu. I have owned them since '89 and they have always been great. Have to think about this, Thanks
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Yep. We ended up with a '04 Envoy XL a little over a year ago to replace the Jeep GC Laredo. I looked real hard at the Ascender but finally could not go with it. I like the Envoy look better and with the wife getting supplier pricing along with GM bumping the rebate to $5000 about the time we got serious I could not make the Ascender attractive enough to take the chance. Ascender (7 passenger) in the top trim only came with the V8 and a few other option choices...most of what we got on the Envoy SLT with the I6 engine....the pricing just about washed at the time even when I included a 60 month/90,000 extended GM warranty.

I still have my '00 Trooper LS and my step-daughter has a 2002 Rodeo, so we are still invested in them for warranty work (both have the 120,000 mi power train warranty). There are still the same 2 dealers in Memphis, so maybe we will be able to get work if we need it.

I'm hoping to keep the Trooper going for a couple more years. If I have to replace it right now, I would be tempted to replace with a Yukon/Tahoe type vehicle to keep the interior space.

Bill
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I hear it will be based off the colorado platform. Similar to the H3 being based off the colorado platform (which is the Isuzu platform being used for the GM S10/S15 replacement)

-mike
  • Options
    logicuserlogicuser Member Posts: 4
    A variant of the Isuzu Axiom made by Great Wall in China will likely be imported into the US in a year or two. it is called the Hover in China. The car is slightly re-styled with a more attractive front and larger rear lights. Most body panels will be the same as the last US Axiom.
  • Options
    cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    I somehow doubt that the Chinese are ready to jump into the US auto market. I would have to think they are brighter than that.

Anyway, I think the "Hover" looks real good.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    fwiw, the first Chinese SUVs arrived in Western Europe today:

Reuters

Steve, Host
  • Options
    logicuserlogicuser Member Posts: 4
    From American International Automobile Dealers:

"May 13--Another automotive entrepreneur plans to import Chinese cars to the United States.
    David Shelburg, whose background includes work for Toledo, Ohio-based Jeep, expects to begin selling cars and trucks made by Chinese automakers Geeley, Baoding Great Wall Automobile Holding Company Ltd. and Zhongxing Automobile Company Ltd. , as early as December.... The lineup is expected to include the Geeley Solo, a small, well-equipped sedan that will sell for $6,995 and include air, power steering, dual air bags and other standard equipment; a pickup truck called the Admiral ; a sports utility vehicle called the Hover ; and a car called the Alto that initially will be sold in Mexico ."
  • Options
    "Another automotive entrepreneur plans to import Chinese cars to the United States.", "a sports utility vehicle called the Hover"

I guess the Axiom will return from the dead! :)

Saw a few pictures of the Hover/Axiom. It looks like it stands taller than the Axiom. I wonder if they did away with the not so intelligent suspension control?
  • Options
    kac12965kac12965 Member Posts: 1
    I just had to have the battery replaced in my 2002 Axiom. Unfortunately, the clock will not reset, and I noticed that the unit is not showing the GPS signal as being recieved. Can any one please help as to how to correct this as well as setting the correct date?
  • Options
    rcopa1rcopa1 Member Posts: 24
    I just replaced my battery and after about 60 seconds the whole thing reset itself date and all.
  • Options
    bpawhitebpawhite Member Posts: 2
    So what happened at your court hearing? I'm sure there's something wrong with the front brakes on my axiom. Here's hoping for a recall.
  • Options
    parker4551parker4551 Member Posts: 58
    How bizarre. I can't tell you all how disappointed I have been with the ride in this vehicle. I am not sure whether to just trade it, or invest in some different shocks.
    However, on the issue of looks, I often get confused at first glance, with the Lexus 470. The Lexus is almost a carbon copy of the Isuzu, except with a higher stance, different grill.
  • Options
    walk_the_walk2walk_the_walk2 Member Posts: 140
    Friends:

A couple months ago, I took my car to my Isuzu dealer, Sullivan Watts Mazda Isuzu of Ocala, FL, for some minor maintenance work including an oil change and lube job. I normally do the oil changes myself, but could not get the oil drain plug to come loose, as the last techie had overtorqued it, so I had no choice but to take it somewhere. No one else has worked on my car since and it is garage kept in a quiet neighborhood.

I went to change the oil today and was shocked out of my mind to find all of the undercarriage protective plates missing. I recall a large plate that protected the oil pan and filter area, and perhaps one that covered the transmission area, too? In any case, these protective plates have to come off to do the oil change and service work, and the vehicle has not been serviced since my visit to the dealer, as I wanted to again do the work myself.

The dealership's tech would have to remove any protective plates to work on the car and to change the oil or to service the tranny. This is the only explanation I have for missing parts from underneath my vehicle, as they were there when I went to the dealer and are missing now.

I need your help: I need to know on a 2002 Axiom how many protective plates are normally installed on my vehicle. I remember at least one that covered the oil filter/pan area and was installed with mulitple bolts/nuts. Is there also a 2nd one that covers the tranny? Please help if you can. If you have the service manual and can give me part numbers, etc. this would be helpful, as there are no protective plates under my vehicle anymore and I need to know what should be there.

Also, I could use suggestions on how to resolve this problem: I have contacted the dealer already, but my hopes are not high on them now. Should I report this to the local police, too?

My email is jprager@cox.net if you have diagrams you can scan/email to me that show the plates that used to be there. This is a real bummer. Thanks in advance for your help.

The moral to this story is that you now have to super-scrutinize the service work of your local dealer. Did they throw my parts away or were they sold on Ebay? I will never know now. Even if this was a simple error, they should have called me to let me know to come back... Whatever happened to good service??
  • Options
    Well, I went downtown and checked out some other 2002 Axioms and YES, the front protective plate and its bolts are gone. The plate starts behind the front bumper and covers the area by the radiator and oil filter.

Great job from that dealership! I don't know how much this part costs - but I would imagine it's at least $60 and the bolts are probably $6 for the set. Needless to say, I am one torqued off customer.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... shall we set one up? ;-)

Just for the record, paisan, I've never ripped Isuzu. I did rip (loosely speaking!) used car salesmen on one occasion though! I have no bias either for or against Isuzu or any other manufacturer.

Now, if I recall, the topic is Isuzu Axiom!

Happy New Year all!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    jakeg64jakeg64 Member Posts: 23
    Maybe Paisan can help. I have a 2002 Axiom and now it needs shocks and tires (67,000 miles). I e-mailed ARB in Washington state and they said they don't have any shocks for this car anymore. Am I stuck with the dealer or are there after market shocks out there?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    -Jake
  • Options
    slastellaslastella Member Posts: 3
    I had to replace the battery in my 2002 Axiom. Now it is not displaying the compass direction, a feature I love. It did pick up the TIME via the satellite, but I can't figure out why the compass is blank. Anyone?
  • Options
    kesha17kesha17 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 axiom. I recently lost one of my temperature buttons. I called one of the isuzu dealers in my state, and they informed me that I would have to replace the entire computer counsel to get a new button. Is this information correct, or is there some other means in which I can get just the one button, without replacing the entire computer system?
  • Options
    Bad news is you will have to replace the whole thing. Good news is you do not have to pay some ridiculous price for a new one at the dealer. Try looking on Ebay for a used one. I just looked today and there was not one but I have seen them on there before recently.
  • Options
    dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    How hard are they to replace? I'm missing the power button for the fan and its a real hassel to get in to the dealership. I plan to go the ebay route as well and was wondering how much trouble it will be to find someone to put it in.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dennis P.
  • Options
    02ax02ax Member Posts: 3
    Greetings!
    I have a white '02 Axiom with 38K miles and really love it! I've been reading and learning great stuff on this list since I bought the car, but now have a question for you good folks. Is the TOD system designed to be left on all the time, as a safety feature? Is there a downside to using it that way? I live in Maryland, and so deal with snow and ice at times, as well as the possibility of (unintentional) off-roading :-)
  • Options
    socalstevesocalsteve Member Posts: 34
    You can leave it in TOD all the time (although I think there's a max speed at which you can shift into it) but there's no reason to on dry roads unless you like enriching the oil companies. I've got an '04 Axiom, and I do put it in TOD when it's raining, etc., but not on dry pavement.
  • Options
    I had to replace the battery in my 2002 Axiom. Now it is not displaying the compass direction, a feature I love. It did pick up the TIME via the satellite, but I can't figure out why the compass is blank. Anyone? Plenty of you seem so knowledgable. I want my compass feature! Thank you.
  • Options
    My cd player just quit for the second time. First time I pulled the fuse and put it back in and it worked again. This time I tried it again and still nothing.

If you push the cd button nothing happens, samething if you try and eject the cd holder, nothing. It is as if the cd player has no power what so ever. Has anyone had this problem? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dennis P.
    Also it is a 2002 Axiom with 22K miles.
  • Options
    malsuamalsua Member Posts: 17
    My 2002 Ax just hit 50k miles.

I posted back in this group about how bad the original tires were. I replaced them with Yokohamas, it's something everyone should do.

That said, I figured to just let people in on what's happened so far.

Some bit ago, I took off for work and the transmission shifted into 2nd and 3rd REALLY REALLY hard. I mean, SLAMMED into gear. After a few miles of this, I took it home and drove wife's car to work. My Ax needed a new Tranny after 200 miles so I've been running a remanufactured one since new. After coming home that night, I took it out again and the problem went away. Hmm.

For the past few months, if I turn to the right, the gas gauge goes to empty, the empty light comes on and flashes. Even when the tank is full. The "check engine" light comes on. A few days later, the check engine light goes off, the gauge works right and for a bit, everything is fine. The cycle repeats again a few weeks later. On off, on off. There's certainly a computer issue going on here but I'm going to wait till the stupid thing won't move.

At this point I kinda wish some angry French kid would just torch the thing. I've never been really happy with the suspension, but it still seems to be about the same as it always was, punishing for every little nick in the road.

I'm due for new tires again, the Yokos are down to the wear bars for the most part in the front, could prolly rotate the rears forward and get 40k out of them instead of the current 35k. They're a bit shaky now, but shrug, it's expected on older tires.

In a do-over, I wouldn't buy this vehicle again. City mileage sucks, highway is ok. I don't hate the thing, but I suspect something else would have been better overall.

-Mal
  • Options
    socalstevesocalsteve Member Posts: 34
    >>>It is as if the cd player has no power what so ever.
    >>>Has anyone had this problem?

I didn't have that problem, but did just have my CD player replaced because CDs were skipping. If you've got only 22K miles, is it still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty? If so, Isuzu should make good on it.
  • Options
    Yes it is still under the warrenty, just a pain in the neck to go across town to the dealership.

Dennis P.
  • Options
    bkbbkb Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the Reduced Power warning light on an '02 Axiom, and what it could potentially mean? A few days ago, while sitting in a parking lot with the car idling, the engine stalled suddenly. When I restarted it, the "reduced power" and the check engine lights were on, the engine was idling very low (probably below 500 rpm) and the engine did not rev up when I touched the accelerator. After a few more stalls, the Reduced Power light went away, and the check engine light remained. The engine seemed to be ok. And a little while later, the check engine light went out after a shut off and re-start. I have not seen either light since, and have had no problems. Any advice on this?

Before that episode, my local dealership diagnosed an engine stalling problem as a bad Engine Harness (wiring harness???) and estimated the cost of repair at $1100, or $1600 if I wanted to replace the airflow meter (air flow sensor???) as well, as the airflow meter was the code given by the diagnostic computer, but they felt like that was being generated by the engine harness. I did not repair the car, and for a while did not have any trouble. Could the reduced power light be related to the engine harness, or does that sound like more of a mechanical/fuel system problem than an electrical problem? I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    bkbbkb Member Posts: 2
    Mal, you mentioned having transmission problems with your Ax...I was wondering how the problem started. Was it suddenly, or were there any warning signs? I ask because my wife's '02 Ax with 58,000 miles has been diagnosed as needing a new Air Flow Meter (see my earlier post in this dicussion) and I was told that the AF meter would/should also cure a problem I have noticed with the RPMs jumping up when driving down a hill, even a slight hill. It seems to me that the transmission is downshifting, but they say it could be caused by the AF meter. I'm not so sure because the tranny seems to "hang" in the lower gear for a while after the hill, or until you intentionally speed up to make it shift into a higher gear. Not sure I don't have an issue with the transmission in addition to everything else. Wish I had forked over a few more pennies and bought a Nissan! :( I suppose I should try replacing the AF meter first since it is the cheapest part that might correct it. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks
  • Options
    lovinmyaxiomlovinmyaxiom Member Posts: 4
    I have 52K on my 2002 ax. I am also having the problem with my gas guage. It usally happens for me when I get around 1/4 of a tank of gas. It goes to empty, check engine light goes, on low gas warning, and the flashing gas tank indicator. If I keep it above 1/4 of the tank filled I don't have a problem. The check engine light goes off after a day or so.

Anyone have any thoughts.

-- Jim
  • Options
    I had a 99 Rodeo and had similar problems with the gas gauge. Turns out this was problem with many of the vehicles. I believe the review, here on edmunds, of the then new 98 Rodeo noted this problem. The fuel sensor inside the tank was bad causing the error readings. It happened a few times at first then it gradually died and the meter stayed on E.. The dealer knew of the problem and the cost for repair was about $500, most of this due to labor. The gas tank has to be removed. I had a local mechanic do the repair and it cost $145. I missed the warranty period by 2,000 miles. Just throwing this out there as a possible cause.
  • Options
    Last week I took my 2002 Axiom into Century Isuzu in Tampa, Fl to have the Cd player fixed and also informed them that a button was missing from the AC (the fan button that turns on/off the fan). Well I pull in Monday morning at 8:00 exactly and they check me in. In less then an hour, the cd player is fixed (reset) and they tell me they are ordering the replacement radio counsel (its all one big piece apparently) and will call me. All in all great customer service. The next day I get a call and the guy tells me my warrenty is expired. I set him straight and he trys to shift the blame to Isuzu. I again explain my vehicles in service date (I bought it used but was the first registered owner, the truck was an executive/ demo with 8K) and the warrenty guidelines. Well the guy says he will get back with Isuzu and that he "would be in touch". Well, he called and let me know that the part was in, I asked him if the warrenty was straigtened out? He said it was and apologized for the misunderstanding. A little bump in the road but all together not that bad of service. With out the first phone call I would have rated these guys as excellent in customer service. Oh well, I 'll see how Monday morning goes.

Dennis P.
  • Options
    wickiewickie Member Posts: 1
    The "CHECK" indicator flickers at times and the green rear wheel lights flash continuously. There is no longer an Isuzu Dealer in this area (Monteal). The former dealer is now strictly GM and services few Isuzus. Is there something I can tell him to help correct the problem when the vehicle is taken there next week? 4WD works in LOW and seems ok. Is this just an electronic malfunction and simple to correct?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    JW
  • Options
    I need to ask again. The N S E W etc. feature is not displaying. I had to replace the battery in my 2002 Axiom. Now it is not displaying the compass direction, a feature I love. It did pick up the TIME via the satellite, but I can't figure out why the compass is blank. Anyone? Plenty of you seem so knowledgable. FYI it does tell me the number of degrees I am traveling in a direction, e.g. 90 degrees means I am going East, but I want the letters back. Can anyone advise? Thank you.
  • Options
    Well, I went back to the dealership in Ocala, FL where I originally bought my Axiom new and complained royally about the missing front metal undercarriage plate (the one underneath the radiator that protects it and the oil filter). Four huge bolts secure this plate in place and the dealership was the last ones to touch my vehicle...

They admitted to no errors, of course, but coincidentally had an extra used Axiom or Rodeo metal undercarriage plate on hand and installed it and replaced the missing bolts.

So, this one had a semi-happy ending. I have my plate back, and I realize I should never go to such a careless dealership again!

The moral of this story is to check your car over carefully after every visit to the shop, even for minor tasks like oil changes. I would never expect a tech to not replace a $70 metal plate, or to be removing them at random. But what else explains my missing plate from 4 months prior, and the extra used one they just happened to have on hand?? Owners Beware!
  • Options
    I have a 2002 Axiom that I purchased new and have taken good care of. Around the time of the 30K checkup, I complained to the dealership that this car shifted hard; that it downshifted hard (thunks) when braking to a stop, especially if the stop was at the end of a downhill stretch of road, like an interstate offramp, or a more sudden stop.

I was also noticing that the automatic tranny shifted noticeably between gears.

But, the gear shifting grew more noticable by 49K miles and I was convinced that even though this vehicle has a sealed tranny that allegedly needs no service until 100K, that a fluid and filter change might be in order. I contacted a local dealership who recommended a filter/fluid change at 50K.

Coincidentally, while going to Disneyworld November 12th, the transmission started slipping badly and shuddering when engaging in gear. Very, very scary and we were not even sure if we would even make it back to our home some 100 miles away...

However, the slipping and shuddering went away and we made it home OK that night, but I was highly worried about the car. The next day, when I started the car again and put it in drive, it started slipping again and shuddering. It was Sunday,so I immediately drove it to the dealership and left it, while I could still get it there.

Now, the interesting part... The tech calls me first thing in the morning and without looking at the vehice yet tells me it is the seal for the modulator shaft on the side of the transmission. He works for a GM/Isuzu dealership and has seen this many times. They even had the seal in stock! So, they replace the seal, filter and fill up the tranny with new fluid. The seal repair was covered by warranty and the car was returned by the end of the day. Excellent.

Now, my Ax drives like it did when I first bought it. Nice and smooth and I cannot even tell when it shifts gears. The tech told me that the modulator seal goes out frequently on these Axioms and that's how he was able to diagnose it from my write-up comments on the dropoff form - he's had to fix several of them.

It is my understanding that the 2002 Axiom has a Borg Warner tranny, which is actually quite rugged. Somewhere in this forum is the model of tranny, too. My posting is just to alert Axiom owners that there may be a high probability of failure of this modulator seal. That it is a very good idea to change the filter/gasket/fluid at 40 or 50K miles and have your dealer check this seal for leakage. Also, be aware that this seal can "blow out" suddenly with little warning. It might even be a good idea to buy a seal and tranny gasket and filter and carry it with you in case you are somewhere away from a dealership when this problem occurs. It is apparently not a difficult repair.

I would welcome comments from others on Axiom tranny issues. I was surprised to have a problem so early in the life of this vehicle, which seems otherwise very rugged.

BTW, I still have a subtle thunk when stopping that remains unresolved. It feels like a 2-1 downshift when braking to a stop. It seems to have lessened a lot since the seal repair but remains as a nagging concern. Is this a drive shaft, tranny or rear brake shoe issue? Does anyone have any ideas? Is it just an Isuzu idiosyncacy?

I hope this posting, long though it is, is helpful to other Axiom and Trooper owners with transmission problems.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up! How much does the seal kit cost? and what would be the cost of repair if out of warranty?

Thanks
    Dennis P.
  • Options
    cat2004cat2004 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know where to start, let's see last Dec, 2004 I took my 02 Axiom in to the dealers and they fixed my seal as well, last week, the end of Nov 2005, I found my tranny doing the same and getting worse. My 02 is up to 89,000 miles and I have an outside 100,000 warranty as well. Isuzu said I need a new tranny and did not want to cover it, they requested my service invoices to show I had kept up with my tranny service, but in the manual it doesn't need it until over 100,000 miles. They said I live in Arizona and according to them I should have gotten it serviced at 40k or 50K, but it doesn't say anything about Arizona in the book nor did my salesman or service man tell me any differently upon purchase. Bottom line, they will now, after a week of argueing, put in a new tranny, BUT they are back ordered, (I wonder why) and I am #6 on the list and they will not be manufactured and available until Jan 6, 2006. I am now without a vehicle until the middle of Jan 2006 until it is shipped to AZ and put in. I am furious, they do not want to give me a loaner car and my mother owns the same make and model and her's is just beginning to slip. I'm going back to Toyota!!
  • Options
    >>Mal, you mentioned having transmission problems with your Ax...I was wondering how the problem started.<<

The first Tranny lasted 200 miles. I have a 40 mile one-way commute. After 2 days, the tranny light was flashing. Dealer replaced it.

It has NEVER since the refurb shifted how I think it should. It either flared from 2nd to 3rd or did a slow slip. Prolly gonna wipe out the bands at some point, but it still moves and isn't my problem until I get another 60k miles on it.

After renting a Maxima for a weekend when the [non-permissible content removed] was in the shop , there's no doubt my ax is a piece of crap. The ride sucks, the tranny sucks and the back end bounces too much. If I didn't live in snow country that requires a 4x4, I would dump this piece of junk. That said, I still owe about 9k on it and it's worth that or less. The engine will likely last 200k miles and I fully expect a 3500 dollar tranny repair at about 135k miles.

My advice, if you've got one of these things, bail out now and foist the problem on someone else. My wife can't understand this and simply thinks I just don't like cars over 2 years old and dumping this piece of crap isn't an option.

-Mal
  • Options
    makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    This goes back to #2365 of 2368 Axiom Owners - Beware of Transmission Seal Problem by walk_the_walk2

If I recall correctly, the transmission in late model isuzus are actually from General Motors - the 4L30-E. It is apparently not too bad of a transmission. It is used in late model BMWs and a few other vehicles.

There are some TSBs on the transmission in the Axiom specifically though, including the leak mentioned.
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/29/02295039.html
  • Options
    Jim,

Your sending unit in the tank is shot. Mine was covered under warranty.

-Mal
  • Options
    lovinmyaxiomlovinmyaxiom Member Posts: 4
    Mal,

I am assuming you were in the window of 3/50 warranty?

-- Jim
  • Options
    Jim, no. This was under the 10yrs, 120miles.

They hosed me on the range selection switch which caused bad shifts, but honored it on the tank problem.

Get it fixed straight away, it's covered.
  • Options
    I think my 2002 Axiom (46k miles)has been struck with the intake manifold problem. A few days ago a strange "whistle" started while the engine was idling. As soon as you touch the gas pedal it goes away. Sounds like a tea kettle whistling.

Anyway, the next day the idle got rough and the following day it started to stall while idling in neutral or park and the CEL finally came on.

I did not go to get the code read but did set up an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. I am almost positive the gasket is the problem.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    sowrnewsowrnew Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any advice/recommendations for replacing the rear wiper blade? Is it a standard type or should I buy a refill from the dealer.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I just replaced mine. I pulled off the old one and just replaced the rubber blade. You can snap on a whole new one but you lose the unique looking cover/holder. I wish i had just bought a new one from the dealer. I found it a pain to replace.
  • Options
    minimeeminimee Member Posts: 2
    My wife drives a 02 Axiom xs w/60k miles. I've received appraisal for $7-9K. Since the car is out of production, I'm concerned that it will depreciate drastically over the next few yrs. I owe bout $13k. I've been told that cars over 70k miles are worthless bc they can't be re-financed, and i actually experienced this w/a luxury car at 100k miles. Although I know my monthly payment would increase @ $200, does it make since to cut my loses now, especially since i believe that there are more SAFER, BETTER RIDING suv's. i'm particlarly tired of the rough ride over bumps and the "thump" at stops. PS - I may be just justifying my propensity to change cars every few years, but my daughter and wife should have as safe a vehicle as possible, such as the volvo xc90, or lexus rx330. sorry about the length of this message.