Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350 Driving Experiences and Problems

Comments

• trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    Hi sxylxy I have owned my 2010 RX for five months Aprx. 5K miles. The millage will go up some and the ride will improve somewhat. Two things are important Use Premium Fuel ONLY and make sure Your Air pressure is at the recommended setting. I have Bridgestone 19 inch tires and I lowered the pressure from Recommended 38 PSI down to 32 PSI for a better ride. I was getting as low as 14.5 Miles per gallon. At my 5K Service I had the Dealer bring the pressure back to 38 PSI and picked up Apx. 1.5 Miles per gallon. I do have all wheal drive. I did notice an improvement in the ride after 4K Miles at 38 PSI. Hope this helps...Mike
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Have you tried 87 octane fuel? If so what were the results?
  • trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    No I have not tried 87 octane. Just going an what my dealers service dept recommend. ??
  • jklossjkloss Member Posts: 39
    my RX with the bumper problem was made in Canada
    Has anyone tried using 87 octane gas on a regular basis?
  • dougnoiddougnoid Member Posts: 3
    My new 2010 RX 350 has the bi-xenon HID headlamps with AFS (Navi, Prem, Cmft). The projector lamps are adjacent to the grill with the halogen daytime running lamps next to the turn signal. However, I have seen other new 2010 RX 350 models with the projector and halogen lamp positions switched: halogen adjacent to the grill with the projector lamps next to the turn signal.

I am very curious. What does this difference indicate?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My guess would be AFS vs not.
  • carnut36carnut36 Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone else noticed that their voice command feature takes a long time to respond? It takes about 10 seconds for mine to respond. I don't have an accent nor is there any ambient noise. I'm not even speaking in sentences just commands like "phone" or "audio".

I have a 2010 Camry XLE with a similar Nav unit (touchscreen) and the voice command feature responds within 2 seconds.
  • bv2000bv2000 Member Posts: 15
    i have a 2010 RX350. This is my 3rd RX with NAV. Problem with the new one is that the NAV will not automatically lower the volume of the radio when the voice comes on & the volume is too low to begin with. Yes, the volume is set to max. The dealer set it meets manufacturer specs, however the chief svc foreman agreed there is a major problem. You cannot listen to the NAV with the windows open or with the radio on. Anyone else having these problems?
  • bond8bond8 Member Posts: 33
    Yes I have the same issue. It is very difficult to listen to the directions with the radio on. I actually contacted Lexus customer service about this. They spoke with an Engineer and they replied back that this is how it was designed. I had a few other "issues" (what I thought were issues) and for a lot of tose things they either told me that is how it is supposed to work or to contact the dealer. Let me know if you find out anything different.
  • johwoojohwoo Member Posts: 2
    Our mileage on our 2010 RX at about 3800 miles is about 1 to 1.5 mpg worse, around town and on the road, than that of our 2007 RX with the same driver and same driving area. I know the mileage was to be better on this new one, however I believe the extra weight of this car is taking the mileage toll.
    I saw where someone else thought that the tire pressure should be set at 38 psi and when they set it there as opposed to 32 psi, the mileage improved significantly. Of course 38 psi will make the car run rougher.
    "....38 psi will make the car..."

...have reduced BRAKING capability.

Future models will likely use DFI which could improve FE significantly but like the rest of the automotive industry we'll probably get more HP/torque instead. I'd vote for going back to the RX300, 3.0L, engine but with DFI.
  • dcmacheaddcmachead Member Posts: 13
    I'm considering purchasing a Lexus RX350. I would like to know what tipped RX350 owners in favor of the RX350 as opposed to the Audi Q5.

I look forward to your responses!
    We felt the RX was a much more comfortable car than the Q5. It's a little larger and less money - both are beautiful cars!
  • winmwinm Member Posts: 1
    we bought a 2010 RX 350 and around 1000 miles, the bumper popped loose under the headlight. We had it into the dealer four times to get fixed. They could not fix it. They were very nice about it, but could not fix it. They ended up taking the car back and gave us a new one. I have again hit 1000 miles. Last night, on the new care, the bumper has popped out IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT. We have found numerous people with same issue online. S/one mentioned it was on models assembled in Canada. I think we need a recall for it.
  • omgl777omgl777 Member Posts: 15
    It's just not the models assembled in Canada. Mine is from Japan and have had the same problem as well. My dealer, Jim Falk of Beverly Hills, is being really nice to about it and told me that Lexus is aware of the problem and is working on a recall to have it fixed. There is apparently a major design flaw.
  • wrahnwrahn Member Posts: 45
    While it's nice your dealer was accommodating to your needs, for folks in the USA who have dealers who aren't willing to help, read your state's Lemon Law requirements.

Wes
  • rlm51rlm51 Member Posts: 21
    Several trips to the local Audi dealership and never once greeted, acknowledged or otherwise helped.

That made my choice *very* easy.

--
    Bob in the Mile High City
  • omgl777omgl777 Member Posts: 15
    I would say buy the Q5. If I could turn back time, I would. I haven't heard of the Q5's bumper popping out, or it's NAVI system failing or the AC stop working.
    I had the EXACT same experience. The salesmen were busy talking about their favorite college football teams. I was the only customer in the showroom. As I went to leave after wandering around looking at cars for 20 minutes, the receptionist finally acknowledged me. I told her that I'd learned everything about Audi that I needed to know. Six salesmen and not one of them either acknowledged me or approached me.

When I walked into the Lexus showroom, I was immediately greeted, shown to an RX350 and a salesman was tracked down and sent over to me.
    I've heard the Q5s have issues with the transmission. I'll take a bumper cover popping loose that the manufacturer acknowledges is in the process over being fixed over a transmission issue any day of the week. :)
    If you are buying the RX - try out the NAV while driving and the music on. They have deleted the Adaptive Volume Control from the 2010 model and it makes it almost impossible to hear any Nav commands. Don't buy it till you try it.
    I got GPS/Nav in my '01 RX300 only because it was part of a "package". Now that I have a Garmin that is so much better I even leave the DVD out of the RX so I don't get the "I agree" and map display "return" forever.

And insofar as I am aware Toyota has still not arrived at a satisfactory, SAFE, fix for the transaxle's 2-3 second downshift delay/hesitation.

I always go out of my way, often entering via the service or parts entrance, to avoid being approached by a salesperson. I'll find one when I need one.
  • carnut36carnut36 Member Posts: 27
    I agree, the radio volume should go down when Nav Instructions are announced. Very annoying and almost useless if you listen to moderate to loud music.

The best fix I can do was to adjust the Nav volume to the maximum and to move the Nav Sound to the Driver Side speaker instead of the center speaker. :)
  • cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    just drove from north carolina to florida 680 miles. gas mileage for interstate driving at 70-75 mph 25 mpg. used 93 and 89 octaine. 2010 rx350 front wheel drive, 1500 mi. at start of trip.
    Changing the ' voice ' to the driver side doesn't help much when playing music loud. Lexus should correct the problem. I can't imagine that this was done intentionally.
  • mikkumikku Member Posts: 9
    I got mine yesterday. I got 2 electronic keys. No card Key. Owners Manual talks about card key being the 3rd electronic key. Dealer says no card key for 2010 :-(

Anyone got a 2010 RX with card key?

Thanks.
  • jacks2jacks2 Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone have their wireless remote set to open windows and moon roof? Owners manual page 41 says if can be done however dealer says it does not have this function? (RX350 2010 with power rear door)
  • jklossjkloss Member Posts: 39
    I have the same problem with the bumpers. Talked with Lexus in CA and they stated that a fix - techinal service bulliten - will be published in the next two weeks.
    Can you post of photo of your headlamps?
    Anyone have a photo of the bumper problem?
  • sxylxysxylxy Member Posts: 29
    Nope, but I did try Costco premium gas. My MPG diminished by 13%, and I only saved 3% in $.
    Seattle.

It seems to me that a FWD or F/awd such as the Venza, Highlander, Sienna, and Lexus RX series would be highly inappropriate for most Canadian drivers.

The poor safety record of FWD in adverse wintertime roadbed conditions is bad enough but then throw in the unwarranted additional confidence, over-confidence, level of F/awd drivers and you're asking for real trouble.

Kuddoes to Toyota for adopting a more appropriate F/awd system, virtually an exacting copy of the Ford and Mazda F/awd system, and now the Porsche 911 R/awd system.

But.

The only time the rear driveline is to be engaged usefully is under initial acceleration from a dead stop. This is to alleviate, pre-emptively alleviate, the potential for engine torque at low speeds resulting in front wheelspin/slip. Loss of directional control leading to an accident.

Otherwise the engine torque will be primarily routed, 95%, to only the front wheels and TC, Traction Control will rule.

If front wheelslip/spin should then inadvertently result then TC braking will be INSTANTLY used to regain traction at the front as quickly as is possible while at the same time the engine gets dethrottled and the rear drive clutch fully engaged.

Get that..??

Dead in the water, right..??

Unless you can disable TC...

But then with TC disabled will the system still automatically couple in the rear drive or will the owner need to provide a manual switch with which to engage the rear drive clutch...?

The Mazda CX-7 uses water cooling of the PTO such that the rear drive can be engaged, sometimes fully engaged, somewhat continuously. Ford, on the other hand, chose to revise the firmware to reduce the functionality of rear drive coupling in order to alleviate driveline component overheating (once it was discovered to be happening), primarily the rear drive clutch and the PTO.

Given the history of Toyota and Lexus F/awd systems, all mostly non-functional, designed only for marketing purposes, I would put my money on the Venza not having enough F/aw functionality to suffice unless you live well SOUTH of the snow zone.
    Very interesting.
    Do you know the octane of the Costco gas?
    In the past, I always thought using a higher grade of gas would not change mph.
    What type of driving do you do and how many miles per gallon are you now averaging.
    How do you like the vehicle in comparison to your 2007 model?
    Thank you.
    I suspect it takes an averaging of at least 10 tanks to get an even close definitive answer to that question.
  • mikkumikku Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I am noticing that my rx450h is not showing the past record values correctly for fuel efficiency history. For "Today", It always shows a fixed ~25MPG, regardless of when I reset and even after several days, it does not show any readings for past days other than "Today" (Which is also incorrect)

Anyone else noticing this?
  • johwoojohwoo Member Posts: 2
    I wonder what caused the weight of the car to go up 4-500 pounds. Especially in hilly areas that hurts FE.
    I saw where someone else drove from North Carolina to Florida @70-75 mph and got 25 mpg. My only trip to Florida from Birmingham (260 miles) resulted in 24 as the best.
  • juscheckingjuschecking Member Posts: 8
    We take our Mercury Mountaineer to Outerbanks beaches and drive down to the shore by letting air out (from 35 to 20 PSI) and putting it into 4W-high. Before buying the RX350 AWD we are trying to determine if we can do the same with it. Believe we understand the AWD Lock feature, but wonder if the combined drivetrain, ground clearance and 235 wheels will support this activity. We have noted the marketing brochure fine print "The RX350 ... is not designed to be driven off road." We don't plan on any heavy duty offroading, only an occasional trip to the beach. Anyone have any actual driving experience on the beach?
    First, from the information you have provided it might have been that your R/awd Mountaineer would have performed just as well without locking the front driveline to the rear (avoiding the transfer case vs center diff'l issue).

That being said, clarified, in order to replicate the Mountaineer's 4WD-high capability you would need to add a manual switch to the 2010 RX350 with which you could LOCK the rear driveline to the front when conditions allow or warrant. Prior to 2010 there was NOTHING to be done to the RX350 (totally OPEN center diff'l) to replicate the mountaineer's 4WD-high capability.

There is an assumption that while the beach sand was reasonably highly tractive on the "average", especially with the deflated tires, there were occasions of POTENTIAL loss of traction where not at least two wheels (three with rear LSD) being driven simultaneously. Engine torque being "delivered" over a wider tire traction area.

The second assumption would be that the beach drive never involved enough speed to do damage to the driveline during the highly tractive periods.

"... Believe we understand the AWD lock capability..."

With the RX350 prior to 2010 there was no "pre-emptive" AWD lock capability. Absent a modification, the manual switch, even the 2010 RX350 does not have a "pre-emptive" AWD lock capability. Much like the earlier versions of the RX using TRAC as a reactive process AFTER, only once loss of traction was detected, the 2010 RX350 will only engage/lock the rear driveline to the front AFTER loss of traction is detected. And then only for the next 15-20 seconds unless/until the loss of traction is repeated.

Due to widespread owner public outcry Toyota and Lexus were forced into providing a modification so the owners could manually disable TC/TRAC. IMMHO it will only be a matter of time until owner outcry will again rise due to the lack of true 4WD capability in the new Venza and 2010 RX350.

The problem then becomes "will Toyota and Lexus be willing to trust the owners to only switch the system into 4WD in appropriate conditions..?".

History indicates NOT.
    Thanks so much for the quick and detailed answer! Wish I had the smarts on this issue to fully understand it. I am of the understanding that the 2010 RX350 has an active torque control 4WD system that controls torque distribution to the front and rear wheels using an electromagnetic control coupling in the rear differential. And, most importantly for my needs, that in the LOCK mode, it is the equivalent of the Mountaineer's 4W-High. If I understand your response, the RX 350's Lock Mode does not really immediately engage and lock-in equal torque distribution to all 4 wheels. If what it is actually doing is dynamically assessing and optimally distributing torque to front and rear wheels, wouldn't this, in essence, drive itself nuts in ever shifting beach sand conditions? You are right on the speed issue. We probably never exceed 10 mph; also about the need for 4W-High. There were times when we could drive in Auto mode, but other times when ruts and/or deep and loose sand required us to use 4W-High. Do I understand correctly that this car is probably not going to work for driving on the beach?
    For too many reasons to go into here I would NEVER trust the 2010 RX350's F/awd system to the level at which I would willingly trust the Mountaineer's RWD/AWD/4WD/4X4 system.

The Lexus RX series, along with the Toyota Highlander & Sienna, always was, is, and remains primarily a FWD or F/awd system. A F/awd system that is just plain PATENTLY dangerous when the roadbed, surface, traction is questionable.

The problem with EVERY F/awd system in the market today is that at their "base" they are truly only "PART-TIME" 4WD systems, much like your Mountaineer. The difference is, GREAT difference, is that with the Mountaineer "you" are the determining factor as to the appropriate use, PRE-EMPTIVELY, of locked mode.

Recognize that the long term reliability of a 4WD system such as the Mountaineer is determined by YOUR judious use of locked mode. Use it inappropriately on a regular basis and you will soon find yourself argueing with the dealer service manager over driveline warranty issues.

With these modern day F/awd systems those dealer service manager arguements are eliminated. You do not have the ability to put the driveline under undue stress.
    Has any one tried using regular gas (87 octane)?
  • salty110salty110 Member Posts: 7
    Just a quick question. Does the 2010RX350 has the daylight running light like the 2009 model?
    Is no one else bothered that you cannot play the radio at a decent volume and use the navigation system at the same time?
    Yes I am bothered, but what can I do if the system will not decrease the volume of the radio when the NAV voice comes on. I directed the NAV voice to the left side speaker and some of the radio to the rear, but it's still a problem to hear the NAV when the radio, CD or USB is on.

My 2005 RX didn't have this problem.

Wes
    Does the radio stay on when the navigation "speaks" . Can you hear the navr or the radio when both are on?
    How does the 2010's new AWD Lock mode really work? I was of the impression that when engaged, the rear driveline is locked to the front and that this state is maintained until you either put on the brakes, exceed 25mph or disengage it. In other words, that it acts pretty much like a true SUV's 4WD-high. Have I got this wrong?
    rparis

Yes. The volume of the device you are playing remains the same when the NAV "speaks". If you like loud music, then you'll have a hard time hearing the NAV instructions. (Of course, you can always do a U-turn and then turn the device off and when the NAV repeats the instruction you'll hear it). JOKE!

As it stated before, my 2005 didn't have this problem.

Wes
    "..have I got this wrong.."

Yes, at least partially.

Most of the time the Venza and new 2010 RX350 (and the Ford Escape, Escape hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mariner hybrid, Mazda Tribute, CX-7) F/awd systems only drive the front wheels.

The exceptions are:

1. As you accelerate in a straight line from a stop or from a very low speed the coupling to the rear might be as high as 100%, 50/50 F/R. On a highly tractive surface this will undoubtedly result in some minor level of driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing. But "this" is being done as a preventative measure, pre-emptive engagement of engine drive torque to the rear to reduce the potential for loss of traction were the torque ONLY applied to the front wheels. FWD vehicles, especially hybrids (low speed torque in ABUNDANCE, have too great a propensity for loss of control should the roadbed "happen" to be slippery.

The vehicle systems, VSC/Trac/VDIM have no method for detecting road conditions in advance so the rear drive is coupled in only on the chance of encountering a slippery roadbed.

2. Non-straight-line acceleration from a low speed or from a stop.

Due to the rather SEVERE level of driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing that might result it is highly unusual for an "AWD" system to have both front and rear drivelines engaged in an accelerating low speed turn, "tight" turn, as these new F/awd systems often will. 20% seems to be the common number.

Compromises, be damned if you do and be damned if you don't.

As everyone should know, driving only the front wheels in this circumstance will result in TONS of torque stear while also raising the potential for plowing, understearing, dramatically. But then with a "strong" engine, or a hybrid, the danger from loss of control due to front loss of traction when ONLY the front wheels are driven rises rather dramatically.

So, the compromise, introduce a slight level of driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing in order to reduce torque stear and the inherent HAZARDS of FWD with a HIGH torque capability.

3. "This one" really should have been listed first but on the other hand it is also the one most undesirable. When in FWD "only" mode and upon detection of wheelspin/slip due to the use of too much engine drive torque for traction conditions TC will react (REACT...!!) INSTANTY by fully dethrottling the engine, applying braking to the slipping wheel(s), and in the F/awd case increasing the drive torque coupling to the rear driveline.

"3" is the traditional F/awd mode, the ONLY mode, remaining in use, for the moment, on the HL and Sienna. This is also the mode that has led to the massive public outcry that finally resulted in the availability of a PB whereby TC could be disabled.

Absent the ability to disable TC these vehicles simply left you "dead in the water" when trying to "escape" from an all wheel slippage surface condition.

The MIXED bag.

Many of the earlier implementations of this new F/awd system gave the driver the ability to engage the rear drive system at speeds up to ~25MPH. Especially useful off-road when speeds are traditionally quite low an/or in KNOWN slippery road conditions.

Apparently many drivers didn't follow instructions and the PTO would overheat and go TU accordingly. Some marques reacted by eliminating the driver's ability to engage the system manually. Others (Ford) eliminated the switch AND used firmware revisions to derate, reduce the overall functionality of the F/awd system. Mazda, at least for the 244HP F/awd CX-7, added water cooling to the PTO such that it was unlikely to fail if used continously, off-road, or even inappropreately.

The RX350 has the PB switch so the rear driveline can be manually engaged until/unless the speed is above 25MPH. The Venza does not. Apparently Lexus drivers can be tested to use the F/awd mode judiciously, while the Venza drivers cannot. It will be interesting to see, watch, just how long it will take Lexus to either add the PTO cooling or eliminate the switch.

It is also interesting to note that the newest Porsche 911 series uses this same electromagnetic clutch design to implement the C4's R/awd system. proportional, linear, control of the level of front drive torque supplied.
    REALLY appreciate your time and expertise on this issue. We always wish we had enough base knowledge on this to really understand all you say. Sounds like, in the case of the 2010 RX350, if we take this vehicle down to the beach, let the air out to about 20 PSI, engage the AWD Lock and drive about 10 miles an hour, we should be OK. ?? Please say yes. (Joke) Would you know if there are any issues with letting out the air, in terms of how other systems (tire pressure monitoring, ABS, traction control, stability control, etc) might react?