Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Trip!

Comments

• Options
    RushlightRushlight Member Posts: 1
    Me and my family are still planning on our next road trip, hope the stay at home order on our state will ease up soon.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Out on the road earlier today - traffic volumes continue to increase, but no return to gridlock yet. I notice a continued abundance of slowpokes - people going 5-10 under for no discernible reason, nearly stopping for turns, refusing to take free turns etc. I also notice many drones wearing masks while driving, I wonder if there's a connection. Didn't see any speed demons.

Stopped by Whole Foods and Neighborhood Market, both appeared to have normal customer volumes - most employees in masks, maybe 3/4 of customers. Huge line out on to the street at C-F-A, the most poorly sited location I've ever seen is the one nearest me, I still have to think some palms were greased to approve that, as one could have predicted it.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited May 2020
    CFA we like has an entrance at the kitchen end of the building. You circle the building once and enter the order taking lanes-2-at the kitchen end. Then two lines merge into 1 to go around building to pickup window.

Cars back up all the way around the entry line and out onto the service road. Two days ago some of the 8 or more order takers were actually out on the service road taking orders from those making right turns and left turns into the first circling line.

We were told this is one of the highest volume stores in Ohio. They have their stuff down perfect. No attitudes other than "We're glad you're here."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,365
    In 'n' Out Burger is a California institution. They only serve fresh meat, which limits where they position their stores. Colorado is getting a distribution center this year, and a number of restaurants will be opening up shortly thereafter.

One of those stores will be about a 15 minute drive from my house – the site of a former car wash. Preliminary plans show that the drive-through will be large enough to hold 26 cars at once, without spilling over onto the adjacent roads.

We'll see.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited May 2020
    This is my CFA:

The road at far left is an off-ramp from a major highway, and the intersection at right is two major arterials. Traffic often backs up around the corner, blocking the right lane on 116th and the turn lane on 8th. For a long time there was a LEO directing traffic - I hope at least the owner was billed for that. There's almost always an order taker or two out in the lot meeting new arrivals - because even if they are efficient, you're going to be there for awhile.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Awkward.

Honestly, I cannot recall the last time I went through a drive-through. Years, surely.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    The mere thought of eating in my car makes me cringe.

Another super-speeder event I suppose I can believe this one, an E65/66 should be able to reach those speeds for at least a brief period before maybe undergoing a Hoovie-type oil event (or in this case, a crash)
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2020
    fintail said:

The mere thought of eating in my car makes me cringe.

Another super-speeder event I suppose I can believe this one, an E65/66 should be able to reach those speeds for at least a brief period before maybe undergoing a Hoovie-type oil event (or in this case, a crash)

I wish people would stop drunk driving full stop. Yes, the saved lives and medical bills would be great for society, but my selfish reason is that eliminating the problem of drunk driving will remove much of the padded stats the "speed kills" crowd uses on their scoreboard of arguments.

Chalk another one up "due to speeding" according to them. 1 point for the mythical side.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    You might not want to take a road trip to be in LA, CA right now! You might die!

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-14/traffic-deaths-speeding-los-angeles-coronavirus-pandemic-vision-zero?utm_source=sfmc_100035609&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=24535+Essential+California+05/15/20&utm_term=https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-14/traffic-deaths-speeding-los-angeles-coronavirus-pandemic-vision-zero&utm_id=6760&sfmc_id=654450

Something tells me the City officials that think slower is automatically safer might not realize the recent increase in fatalities might just be because they are tinkering with the traffic light timing to not be based on anything resembling logic, but instead set to "nighttime" settings in some kind of oddball attempt to slow people down, only the results are not what they wanted. Couldn't be their fault now could it? NO, never! :disappointed:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Well, darn. I wàs hoping to road trip from CO to CA in August, and the most direct route takes me on the 210 from I-15.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    edited May 2020
    My city has been goofy with lights lately too, not sure if it is "Zero Vision" dorks tinkering with things or just goofy coincidence. When things were really slowing down in March, lights were set to "weekend" sequencing - with quick reactions from sensors when approaching red. It was nice! Also quick reactions from the walk button when on foot. Now, as traffic has increased, some lights are back to their long sequences, but with continued low traffic, one can sit for what seems like eons with no cross traffic. Yes, 'some', while others still seem to be on "quick change" - it makes a smooth drive sometimes difficult. I guess they can throw out any claims about traffic management trying to be eco-friendly by decreasing less needless idling, as the ideal doesn't work so well now.

That LA link is pretty bad - you mean to tell me as traffic volumes increase via the slow reopening, there will be more incidents?! Shocking! Also nothing but deceptive when drunk driving incidents are labeled as "speed".
  • Options
    On the road this morning on foot - trying to jog 5x per week as who knows what gyms are going to be like again, and I need to keep my metabolism from going in reverse. Anyway, a negative impact of the crisis is starting to rear its ugly head - discarded gloves and masks. I am now spotting a bit of this trash along the road, in a society that seems to embrace the "right" to be a jerk and litter, I suspect it will only get worse, and the gloves that are probably made from toxic materials in a hostile location will be found to decompose after a mere few centuries.

I also am seeing a lot of "drivers" (sarcastic quotes) wearing a mask while driving, sometimes a mask and gloves. Why? Unless you're doing lyft/uber work, seems pointless. These same people probably touch a bunch of stuff in a store with those gloves, then wear them in their personal car, and coat the steering wheel with residue. There's a logic defect in that somewhere.

I also noticed the usual stuff in this new age - people plodding a long well under the limit, stopping for green lights, no signal use, etc.
  • Options
    Finally got out this morning for a trip longer than 10 minutes.

Roads seem to at about 50% of normal weekend capacity. A few egregious speeders, but most traffic on I-25 moving at 65-70.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Weekend traffic in my immediate neighborhood is off by maybe a third, less of a difference than weekdays, as more people work in my neighborhood than live here, and many of these are positions that will likely/hopefully transition to WFH.

Might be a Subie meet around here today, sounds like a commercial lawnmower festival out there sometimes.
  • Options
    On the road just a bit yesterday and today. Although my county is barely "open" yet, traffic is steadily ramping back up, I'd say in many places to 75% of usual volumes. 405 is even regaining some usual slowdown areas. I think people are getting cabin fever and aimlessly driving around just to get out of the house.

As expected, numerous LLCs, but 405 and 167 are their playground. My sister drove up to where I was this morning, and she, probably the most laid back never offended driver in the world, commented that she was passing people on the right, and they'd look at her like she was crazy. I saw numerous people going ~10 under on the highway. Only one fun LLC, a late model Pilot being an idiot - Lexus RX tried to pass in the HOV lane, then the Honda sped up. I passed it on the right, but I was going fast enough where it couldn't play that game, and there'd be a public shaming if they had.
  • Options
    I drove to Julian (cool Apple growing and Apple Pie Specialty Mountain Town), then east on 78, Up San Jancinto to Montezuma (S22) to run it the opposite direction, including Yaqui pass and S2 down to I8. I realized I've usually made this fun run the opposite direction, and couldn't recall doing it this way.

On two lane roads (1 each direction) I noticed trucks/SUV's seemed to speed up a bit in passing zones when I would go for a pass, but of course, I don't play around when I'm passing, so it was barely perceptible. If I was driving a Versa, it could be a very hazardous issue.

One particularly bad LLC on I8 West coming back home, as the dual trailer truck and tanker semi-truck both passed him on the right, appearing to "floor it" to clear up the bottleneck even though traffic was light (except where LLC decided to cause congestion). Was a black recent model SUV. I, and at least 3 others passed the SUV on the right as well. That one earned a honk.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    I noticed something on the weekend that made me think of the discussion here from time to time on LLCs. I was at a red light, 3rd in line behind an Accent hatch (what else) at the front and an Audi directly ahead of me. The light turned green and we went from a single-lane street to a dual roadway in each direction. The Accent was puttering along as they are wont to do and suddenly she moved over into the left lane. Naturally the Audi and myself overtook her on the right. After we went past I noticed she then moved back into the right lane.

I remember hearing years ago from a guy who was driving a big, slow truck that he would move into the left lane to let traffic pass him in the right lane without having to maneuver around him. Sounds perverse and is just the opposite of what the law says, but there you have it. I wonder if she (and other LLCs) thought the same thing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

I noticed something on the weekend that made me think of the discussion here from time to time on LLCs. I was at a red light, 3rd in line behind an Accent hatch (what else) at the front and an Audi directly ahead of me. The light turned green and we went from a single-lane street to a dual roadway in each direction. The Accent was puttering along as they are wont to do and suddenly she moved over into the left lane. Naturally the Audi and myself overtook her on the right. After we went past I noticed she then moved back into the right lane.

I remember hearing years ago from a guy who was driving a big, slow truck that he would move into the left lane to let traffic pass him in the right lane without having to maneuver around him. Sounds perverse and is just the opposite of what the law says, but there you have it. I wonder if she (and other LLCs) thought the same thing.

I don't understand the logic of LLC's, and your post about a guy hasn't changed that :smile:

I'm convinced low IQ and LLCing are strongly correlated.
  • Options
    I don't think LLCs are necessarily dumb, there's a lot of stubbornness and passive-aggressive wannabe traffic cop at play, too. Many know exactly what they are doing. Few are more entitled than a grouchy old man in a big pickup camping out in the left lane of 167.

I don't believe traffic schools are teaching "keep right" at all anymore, those who practice it are ones lucky enough to have experienced driving in more advanced cultures.

As things slowly finally reopen, I hope to have more road trips - I think I have at least a small one next month.
  • Options
    fintail said:

I don't think LLCs are necessarily dumb, there's a lot of stubbornness and passive-aggressive wannabe traffic cop at play, too. Many know exactly what they are doing. Few are more entitled than a grouchy old man in a big pickup camping out in the left lane of 167.

I don't believe traffic schools are teaching "keep right" at all anymore, those who practice it are ones lucky enough to have experienced driving in more advanced cultures.

As things slowly finally reopen, I hope to have more road trips - I think I have at least a small one next month.

Oh for sure it's a passive-aggressive wannabe traffic cop routine many times. Still, I think the idea that it's a good idea to play a passive-aggressive "fake" traffic cop has to result from "dumbness." Only on a race track while racing does it make sense to have a motive for impeding traffic. Otherwise, it's a strange way to "get off" on making it more difficult for others to pass.
  • Options
    I think it matches perfectly with the "I got mine, you can go to hell" socio-economic stage we've devolved to. A sign of the times, perhaps. I don't even believe the passive-aggressive wannabe cop is doing it because it's a good idea per se, they are just doing it to screw with others. That's our society.
    andres3 said:

Oh for sure it's a passive-aggressive wannabe traffic cop routine many times. Still, I think the idea that it's a good idea to play a passive-aggressive "fake" traffic cop has to result from "dumbness." Only on a race track while racing does it make sense to have a motive for impeding traffic. Otherwise, it's a strange way to "get off" on making it more difficult for others to pass.

• Options
    On the road locally in the past few days, I think traffic volumes have again increased significantly , and are now maybe 70% of usual on commercial arterials. 405 even has the southbound Bellevue stop-n-go like in the olden days again, which is amusing as virtually everyone I know is still WFH - people are out driving to limit cabin fever, perhaps.

I hope if anything, it means economic recovery won't be as slow as some doomers predict lately.
  • Options
    If you're making a road trip, avoid my area. The amount of construction traffic is off the charts lately, and some arterials like 405 resemble the gongshow pre-pandemic.

I swear, 100 (ill-maintained looking, terrible sounding) trucks a day are using my street as a cut through from a few construction sites. Not sure if I'd be wanting be putting my eggs in the basket of Class A office buildings, or even "luxury" condos for residency purchasers.
  • Options
    Looks like I will be taking a trip out to the coast in around 10 days - it'll be interesting to see how traffic has changed, seeing as suburban/metro traffic volumes must be about 90% of pre-COVID levels now, and I suspect weekend vacation spot volumes will be even higher, with people escaping the metro and WFH doldrums (and probably increasing exposure rates).

Yesterday's drive down 405/167 and back looked like any other Saturday, no evidence of a crisis. Tons of LLCs too, especially on 405 - I think that 4-6 week or so break back in April or so when there was nobody going out led to people losing their already minuscule driving ability.
  • Options
    Out on a little trip now. Traffic was as-expected - the 405 section was maybe a little lighter due to less commuter traffic, but other places seem to be 100% pre-pandemic, no shortage of traffic, and lots of apparent tourists. Perfect weather anyway, and people were behaving fairly well - no memorable flagrant LLCs, a few speed demons, overall traffic flow was slow - set cruise for 7-8 over and you'll be in the top 10% of speed easy, with plenty in the right lane appearing to be well under the "limit".
  • Options
    Back to the rat race, traffic on state highways and 5/405 both seemed like how things were before the pandemic, and I don't mean that in a good way. Plenty of LLCs with varying levels of wherewithal, slowdown in Tacoma that I think has existed since I was in high school, random speed demon here and there to liven things up, and spotted a couple WSP at work but I suspect just looking for those speed demons.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    In CA I'm unable to stereotype the speed demons. Seems to be all types of cars, makes, models, and driver demographics. This isn't a good thing, as when a Ford panel van is barreling down the freeway at 85-90 MPH, probably not as safe as when a 911 does it with less than half the stopping distance.
  • Options
    Anecdotal speed demon observations:

Neglected looking Altima or Maxima, bonus points if on a donut spare.

Dbag loud pipes Infiniti G or Z equivalent

Any 3er, E60 or early F10 5er

Camaro, Mustang, Mopar muscle

If raining, lifted overcompensator pickup
  • Options
    The roads here are packed now - stay away. Observations from today:

405 NB and SB in Bellevue both grinding to a halt at 3:30 - worse than before the pandemic.

Some areas in town seem to have traffic backups as bad or worse than before March.

Turn signals, what are those?
  • Options
    :facepalm:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Turn signal violations should be $1,000 fines.
  • Options
    I'd love to see progressive penalties too, but something something communism or something else.
  • Options
    Going to go from Escondido to Barona for the 1/8 mile drag races tonight. Qualcomm no longer has "Race Legal" running so Barona is the new Friday night game in town.

Time to beat up on some V8 muscle cars that can't even get the power down.
  • Options
    While on foot today saw the aftermath of an older GL that gave a love tap to a Ford Escape. I noticed no visible damage, of course both drivers were in panic mode and wouldn't move their vehicles off the road, blocking a turn lane and creating a backup and some nice honks.

• Options
    It was 100 degrees Friday afternoon; that kept my times above 8 seconds. Once it cooled off to about 89 degrees at freaking 10 PM (lousy cool off night :angry::() I was able to get under 8 seconds.

Either way, only a Tesla running about 7.5 beat me (but Mr. red RS3 murdered him with 6.9.)

I beat an SRT Jeep Cherokee easily one race, and then raced a different one; only that one must of been modded and tarted up for the drag strip; they also ran a 7.5.

Beat a Camaro SS that was ready for the drag strip by .15; that was a fun race; they had me by about 2 MPH at the finish line, but quattro for the win.
  • Options
    What was the distance? 1/8 mile?
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    Well if it’s 1/4 mile I call BS :smile:

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

It was 1/8th mile. He had a virtually perfect reaction time, luckily mine was also very good for the win as he couldn't make up the lost distance from the starting line. If I'd have done anything poorly could have been the difference between a W and a L.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

It was 1/8th mile. He had a virtually perfect reaction time, luckily mine was also very good for the win as he couldn't make up the lost distance from the starting line. If I'd have done anything poorly could have been the difference between a W and a L.
    You know the answer for next time, then.... You are going to need to install an intake cooling system! Get that intake temperature down to around 5C and you'll have a little more space on the launch. :D
  • Options
    I suggest a handful of stickers. Maybe some tape stripes.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    fintail said:

I suggest a handful of stickers. Maybe some tape stripes.

There's got to be a big wing on E-bay that adds 15 HP.

This one might add 20 hp!:

• Options
    Evo II, not much problem getting 200K for one now. Flared fenders also +20 hp.

On the road today, traffic continues to approach and maybe in some places surpass pre-pandemic levels. SB 405 in Bellevue today probably had a 2 mile backup by 3pm. Where are these people going? Where are they coming from? Why are they out? Local beaches and other rec areas have been insane this year too, always followed by local COVID cases up by 10x a few weeks later.
  • Options
    Looking at traffic charts already today, what pandemic/crisis/panic? WB Snoqualmie backed up in a few places, and plenty of congestion on NB 5 from Tacoma to Olympia. It'll probably be a lot worse in about 2 hours.

On foot in town today, C-F-A backup already at noon, which the city has masterfully solved by placing "no stopping" signs in the problem area (but no enforcement, no doubt because of the real golden rule), typical absence of turn signals on upmarket SUVs, and a couple of bad MB drivers - one an early GL that made a last second right turn across several lanes from a left turn lane, and a W123 that crawled to a stop at a green light and turned left from a straight only lane. First world lol.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    fintail said:

a couple of bad MB drivers - one an early GL that made a last second right turn across several lanes from a left turn lane, and a W123 that crawled to a stop at a green light and turned left from a straight only lane. First world lol.

Damn Benz drivers! :sunglasses:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    And not even in new models! Of course, I saw plenty of the local new X5/Macan/Range Rover brigade flitting around without a care to even things out.
    ab348 said:

Damn Benz drivers! :sunglasses:

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited September 2020
    Back from my trip to Ohio for my grandson's 1st Birthday.
    Not as much traffic as I was expecting, so things went smoothly despite a 100 to 125 miles of rain each way.
    On the way out left from central CT across NY and PA and filled up at MM 226 in Ohio.
    Averaged 28.5 mpg, which is good, car is rated @28 highway.
    Total trip about 560 miles in 8 hours 20 minutes.
    On the way back, topped off at MM 226 in Ohio.
    Made it back in a tick over 7 hours, 478 miles, 29.2 mpg.
    Here's a picture of the driveway on Birthday Party Day.
    Fusion, Explorer, MKZ, Fusion, plus in the garage an Escape and another Explorer.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Fin, how far is your commute... or are you even commuting now with COVID?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    In the before time my commute was ~4 miles each way, which could take 10 minutes or 30 minutes depending on the level of gongshow.

Today, I drive maybe 2-3x per week at most, and if I don't buy out this car, I am going to need to make a round trip to Argentina to use my miles.
    xwesx said:

• Options
    fintail said:

In the before time my commute was ~4 miles each way, which could take 10 minutes or 30 minutes depending on the level of gongshow.

Today, I drive maybe 2-3x per week at most, and if I don't buy out this car, I am going to need to make a round trip to Argentina to use my miles.

xwesx said:

I wonder if it would be practical to consider an ebike for your commute. I'm not sure how often it is heavy rains or other complicating factors, but things like hills and all the start/stop of intersections is heavily mitigated by the electric assist motor.
  • Options
    My biggest fear would be a lack of real bike lanes for at least 2/3 of the route - with the way people drive around here, it would be like Russian roulette. I've backed off on having a motorcycle as long as I am in this area, a bicycle seems riskier. The rain would really be irksome too - a few hills, but the rain for about 8 months out of the year could be annoying.

But if the roads had mid-March traffic and it was dry, it'd work.
    xwesx said:

I wonder if it would be practical to consider an ebike for your commute. I'm not sure how often it is heavy rains or other complicating factors, but things like hills and all the start/stop of intersections is heavily mitigated by the electric assist motor.