Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• thom52thom52 Posts: 30
    seaflipper wrote: "Or you could just have her switch the trip computer to the current MPG. Coasting downhill I can get up to 99.9 mpg!"

I liked that screen when I hit 99.9 a few times. I stopped using that screen after seeing it drop to 4mpg going up a hill....D'oh! :)
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,783
    G'day

It could be worse. I have just put a Garmin Ecoroute HD into my Toyota Kluger and saw a moment today where it reported 267.9 l/100km as I accelerated away from traffic lights. I have no real idea, but it is well south of one mile per gallon. On the bright side, average mileage is about 10 l/1000km or about 28mpg (British)

Cheers

Graham
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,562
    dfong, you can still get your car repaired.

Taket he check from the insurance company and buy the wreck back from them before they take it to auction. I assume you still have access to it, so you can get quotes from good body shops -- be sure and ask around, lots of hacks in that business! -- and go from there.

You do not have to do what the ins co tells you; I was in the opposite situation years ago and took $$ from the ins co instead of repairing the car, then sold it to a body shop. It's up to you, you just have to figure out what makes sense.

Also be aware that body shops will likely quote you a lower price -- 20 or 25% at a guess -- than what they charge the insurance company. One owner explained it to me on a small repair: "If it's the ins co, then every little take this off, put this back on is a charge. If it's you, then you pay for the repair, but not every little thing along the way. It adds up."

Good luck,
    -Mathias
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,562
    I don't care what the sticker says in the fine print or elsewhere: 15 mpg with an Impreza is nuts, unless it's -5 degrees F and your commute is two miles.

What nails it is that the mileage is lower than the same behavior/driver/route in an Element, which is not a fuel-efficient car. Something's wrong with the Impreza. Or with the math.

Is the 15mpg figure hand-calculated properly? Onboard computer doesn't count; one fillup doesn't count either. If it's repeatable, something is seriously wrong with the car.

Does the Check Engine light come on when you turn the ignition on? It's hard to coneive of an OBD-II car to be that far off and the electronics not picking it up.

It needs fixed, as we say in the auto business.
    Cheers
    -Mathias
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    edited March 2012
    Have no idea?

Also, the phonebook upload may not work with every phone. Up until now you couldn't upload the iPhone's phonebook. I still don't think you can upload it on Legacys, Outbacks and Tribecas.

Bob
  • rayccraycc Posts: 28
    I was reading the owner manual; I notice that on changing a flat tire. It said never put a temp on the front. If the flat is on the front. It said to take the rear and put in on the front and put the temp on the rear. Else you will damage the drive trans. Didn’t say anything about putting in a fuse to turn the car into FWD.

I use to have an outback I know to change a flat you put in fuse to turn the car into FWD. So I check the fuse box and didn’t see to see a FWD slot, did Subaru took that option away or the Impreza never have that option?
  • rayccraycc Posts: 28
    I just got the car for a few days and have only 158 miles on it. I have the instant avg on while I drive. I notice that once you get up to speed and let off the pressure on the gas paddle the instant mpg goes up petty high in 40s and 50s.

So now when I drive get up to speed quickly and just let off the pressure on the gas paddle. So far my Onboard computer avg is at 25.8 and keep going up. When I first got the car with only 14 miles on it. The AVG was like 10.
  • dfong87dfong87 Posts: 171
    just got an offer to order the model and color i want for about 600 below invoice at RWC. thanks for the tip. the guy was much more low key and low pressured and was happy to make a small profit on an easy sale.

i'm likely going to go with them. just need to think about the logistics of what to do about my salvaged car and transportation in the 6-12 week wait time frame...hopefully on the low end or less.
    thanks for the thoughts, Mathias.

yes, i could pursue that route although i'm not psyched about having to register it as a salvaged title...

getting close to pulling the trigger on the Impreza after driving one this weekend along with the other competitors. it seems like the best of the bunch to me in terms of what i value in that size/price range.
  • I ordered my Premium 5-door the last week of December and I was told it would be about 8 weeks to delivery. The salesman turned out to be accurate about the time frame... they did try to sell me one from the lot after a month had passed (watch out for that), but it was just what car salesmen do, they figure you might freak out that your car hasn't come after a month and change your mind. Nothing sleazy, they were just hoping to get lucky. I told them no.

Thanks for the info. I'm not in a hurry, so I won't be swayed. I'm mostly excited to get the car so I can get in and out of my hilly neighborhood when it snows, but that won't be happening again this winter, so I can be patient. I've been really pleased with how un-pushy my salesman and dealership have been.

Can someone tell me one thing, though? Is the destination charge INCLUDED in the MSRP or is it separate? My salesman told me it was (but he's obviously new to the job), and when they filled out a "Pricing Summary" for me (not a signed contract of any kind), it was added on extra. I just left him a message to call me about it, and I'm pretty sure it was due to his inexperience (he didn't write the pricing summary), but just in case someone higher up was pulling something, I want to be prepared when he calls. I've read it can vary between manufacturers, so if anyone who recently bought this car remembers, I'd appreciate your input.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,909
    You can double-check on edmunds.com to see what the MSRP is w/o destination, to make sure you were not double-charged for it. Destination is a separate charge... maybe in case it's higher for some areas.
  • onemodogonemodog Posts: 26
    Sweet!
    I hope it all works out.
    You may have mentioned it before but what model Subie are you looking at? Options?
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    Well I've joined the ranks of owner. My new Impreza Sport Premium should arrive by the end of March. I'm really impressed with the size. We have a 2001 OB wagon and the new Impreza is bigger as far as passanger space goes. Driver space is about the same, but rear seat is better. Obviously much smaller in the back end for storage, but not really that much smaller with the seats down.

Roof rails look to be similar enough to my old Outback so all my Yakima cross bars and attachments will still work.

We ended up with the standard federal emmisions vs the PZEV. I'm not sure long term if there is any issue there. It will be one of the few non-PZEV ones. But maybe I saved ~$300.

Also somewhat concerned about the sport model, since the XV-Crosstrek might just replace the Sport?? Arn't they the same excpet for the rasied suspension? All of us "Sport" owners may end up with unique cars. Might not be bad.

Almost zero premium and limited models at dealers in MN/WI. Very few base models as well.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    Saw a new 5-door Limited at my doctor's office about an hour ago, in blue. Looked really nice.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 11,000
    I believe it was "taken away." AWD system aside, the diameter on the spare in the old Outbacks was smaller than the stock tires. That is not the case now. While the tire is much skinnier, its diameter is the same, which means it will not create the stress in the drivetrain.
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I hear you. I just bought a white Limited sedan in the Minneapolis area. I preferred silver but the only one available was due in later this month and way over in Madison WI.
    we ended up ordering the Limited hatchback model, no options. the standard feature set for that model is more than we need, but my wife strongly preferred getting leather, so, that's where we ended up. :)

what kind of mileage are you seeing driving around the bay area? (i figure you would be a good indicator compared to people reported low mileage in the colder climates)
  • You can double-check on edmunds.com to see what the MSRP is w/o destination, to make sure you were not double-charged for it. Destination is a separate charge... maybe in case it's higher for some areas.

It turns out that upon closer inspection, they didn't double-charge me. I hate to be so darned suspicious, but I distrust car dealers so much. These guys were wonderful to deal with so it didn't *seem* like they'd do that, but then, being so nice, they might get away with it with an unsuspecting customer. What happened was that they simply broke the price down in more detail on that statement - the base price, the cold weather package, the destination charge. I'd been negotiating with one figure for all three and just got confused when I saw the separate charge, but it all added up the same. By the way, the destination charge is always the same, regardless of where the car is sold, according to several sources I've read, including edmunds.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,909
    By the way, the destination charge is always the same, regardless of where the car is sold, according to several sources I've read, including edmunds.

Those sources are wrong. For most cars, that is true, but not all. Here's an example from mazdausa.com (bolding added by me):

* MSRP excludes $795 destination charge, tax, title and license fees. Total MSRP includes $795 destination charge and additional costs for vehicles equipped with available packages, options or accessories. Destination charge $840 in Alaska. Vehicles displayed may contain optional equipment at additional costs. Actual dealer price may vary.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/QuoteRequestStart.action
    jd, how long did you wait for yours?

in the SF Bay Area (CA), there are a fair number of sedans out there, but limited models are more scarce. for the hatchbacks, lots of base models, only a few Premiums, and only 1-2 Limited models out of the a very large mile radius including 6-7 dealers.

i was told 8-12 weeks although 6-8 is typical, so i'm curious what you encountered.
  • techdudetechdude Posts: 87
    Picking up my Premium hatch on Saturday. It will have been seven weeks since placing the order. It would have been six, but one of the options i requested didn't come in.
  • flopkaflopka Posts: 22
    I do know one thing: this car is getting better mileage than my Beetle was (the MPG I was getting on that car in city commuting was truly appalling - less than 15).

Have ticked up slightly to 18.3. About 200 miles driven, all in city/suburban. The car is now on its second tank of gas.

I'm hoping for the 22 eventually, but I'm resigned to never seeing 27, with the streets I have to drive.

One clever thing is the -/+ indicator: Eventually you start trying to game it. It becomes tempting to leave your foot off the gas on a hill and coast down if the speed is acceptable. Whatever works, baby. MPG is MPG. If you're getting to where you want to go at a speed you want to go, who cares if you've got your foot on the gas?
    Im averaging about 26-28 mpg combined. I drive about 70 miles a day with a 50/20 split (highway/city).
    Im a little disappointed with the mileage but I do expect it to go up very soon with warmer weather, though it hasnt been that cold has it... and such. I must admit though that I am probably driving a bit on the fast side but I find it difficult to keep it under 70mph when Im on the freeway. On days that I do, yes, mileage is better.
    I have just over 3k miles on it and will be going in for my first oil change within the next week. That may help mileage too.
    I have a roadtrip to Monterey coming up soon and that will be my first "long" run on the freeway. Im curious to see what the avg mpg is on that trip. I will keep you posted.
    Driving a Sport Premium, CVT
  • larry1135larry1135 Posts: 43
    Are the Impreza's being assembled in Japan or Indiana?

When ordering one how long has your wait time been?
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 1,172
    The Impreza is Japanese assembled, and my wait time was about 10 weeks, but I believe mine was longer because I wanted an unusual configuration (Limited with no sunroof or nav) and I pre-ordered in October. It seems 4 to 6 weeks is pretty typical, and much shorter if you order one with a popular configuration that just might already be on a transport vessel.
    2015 Subaru Outback, 2013 Audi A4
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    I'm still waiting. I was told about 2 weeks, since it was a car already being shipped to the dealer. Otherwise they were saying 8 to 12 weeks for a true order.

Dealers in MN, have maybe 1 base hatchback and maybe 1 or 2 sedans. I watched the dealer do a search for a premium 5door, and there was 1 within 350 miles. If we removed the all-weather package, then we found lots of them in Texas and Oklahoma.

I think its somewhat a double hit up here. #1 they are selling well, and #2 Subaru just hasn't shipped as many to this region.
  • techdudetechdude Posts: 87
    What do you guys think...worth it? 5yr/60k mile for $650 extra....
    i hope my plain Limited (no options at all) won't be slow because i didn't want any extra options. but if that's what it is, i'll have to wait.
  • tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 1,172
    There were other pre-orders that came later than mine and whose vehicles arrived earlier, but those examples were more typically optioned. Hopefully yours will arrive sooner, but regardless of time, I felt the wait was more than worthwhile.

The fuel economy, quality, and handling have been outstanding. I doubt I'd be as happy with any other vehicle out there, so waiting 10 weeks was a small investment in a better ownership experience.

Best of luck to you!
    2015 Subaru Outback, 2013 Audi A4
    Id say yes. I got the exact one for slightly more.