Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Care and Maintenance

Comments

• My dealer in Alpharetta GA is charging me $780 for the 105K mile service for my 2000 Ody, that includes everything, belt, new water pump, seals, fluids, spark plugs. I shopped around to independent shops and the price was only about $100 less to $100 more. Most of the area dealers are the same price.

I been happy with my dealer's service from the beginning, so I am still having the work done by them. I plan to drive my van another 50k miles.

I'm getting the job done this week while my car is still under warranty at 98K just in case anything else goes wrong.
  • On a regular basis, I run Marvel oil in the fuel of my Honda vehicles, as a fuel system cleaner & top cylinder lubricant. This is part of a preventive maintenance process. (4 ounces to each 10 gallons of fuel). I have run this product in all my land and water based vehicles. I have never had a fuel related problem, and my engines run very quiet and smooth. The product can be purchased at K-Mart or Pep Boys. Yes, it is safe for o2 sensors and cat converters.
  • Can anyone tell what the dealer will do in the 7,500 mile maintenance for Odyssey04? How much does it usually cost (I'm in NJ)? Is it worth it? Do I still get the warranty if I skip it or do it by myself? I heard that dealer only does a oil change and rotating the tires for this kind of maintenance job but charge a premium. Of course they do lots of "free" checkings. Please give you input! Thanks!
  • I recently moved to Salt Lake City and need to replace the tires on my '02 Ody. I plan to take the van into the mnts - should I buy all-season or snow tires? Any recommendations for specific brands or models would be appreciated.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,775
    IIRC, it ran me about $75 at my dealership for the first checkup. $30 for the oil change, which included a multipoint check, and
    $35 or so for rotation and balancing of the tires. Throw in tax, 'disposal fees', 'shop supplies', etc. and you get the picture. I also had a piece of loose trim fixed, and had them check into a few odd sounds. Overall, I think it was worth it if the total tab remains under $100.

While it is indisputable if you have the dealer do it, your warrantee is protected as long as you can show that someone (even yourself) did the basics. Just keep some records....

Steve
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,775
    The decision on buying 'real' snow tires is one of need, cost, and putting up with the inconvenience of storage and tire changing. I do need to pull out onto unplowed / poorly plowed roads (plus my own 500ft, uphill driveway), so I did it for my '02 Ody. Ran around $700 for Dunlop Wintersport M2's on steel rims with covers from TireRack. I love them in any kind of bad weather. Plus it provides an excuse for me to check the brakes, boots and lithium grease lube all of the suspension bushings twice per year!

Steve
  • kjokjo Posts: 24
    This might sound really stupid, but I have a 2000 and my left rear brake light is out. First one ever and I have 77,000 miles. Anyway, I can't figure out how to get to the bulb. Has anyone ever replaced this bulb, and how?
  • I have an '02 which started doing nearly the same thing at about 75k miles. Did you ever get any response to this problem? I really want to avoid taking the van into the dealer.

Thanks in advance...
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 25,302
    the owners manual will tell you how to get to the bulbs. Depending on which one it is, you either have to take off the plastic housing, or there will be an access panel from the interior of the car. Bulb replacement itself is simple, once you can get to it.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• kjokjo Posts: 24
    Thanks stickguy. It's on page 274 of the owners manual, bulb number is 7443, never saw one like this before, not your normal 1157 bulb.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    The aftermarket Ody oil filter are FRAM's TG7317, Purolator's 14610 or 14459, and Advance Auto's TotalGrip AA7317(made by Purolator even though it uses FRAM's number). According to an individual study in link below, the TotalGrip has a superior construction to FRAMs.

I have used the Purolators and I plan to get some TotalGrips soon.

PS: There is a 2 for 1 special for TotalGrip filters at Advance Auto for those who are interested, i.e. 2 filters for $2.48!!!

http://mymiata.paladinmicro.com/MiataOFilters.htm

Another link with a similar study is at,

http://www.bergware.net/tmbwww/oilfilter89honda.html
  • psm18psm18 Posts: 9
    Has anyone changed tranmission fluid on their Odyssey and how easy is it? Any guidance will be most helpful.

Paul.
    I have not done mine yet and I have quite a while to go since my Ody is 6 months old. But I understand that there is a tranny drain plug as well as a fill plug - so this job should be straight forward like changing engine oil.

Take a peek below and it should be obvious.
  • to sseell1:

Wintertire advice. Valid for any car.

Choices: all weather or winter tread.

All weather, use all year, longer thread life.

Winter tires, use in winter only for traction.

Softer rubber, hence less life if used all year long. Find three or four choices and compare price wise, thread life, warranty, NOISE LEVEL.

For winter/snow tires:

Need four, regardless of drive method.

Mount on separate wheels (cheap ones). Mounting on expensive ones may damage expensive rims. Cheap snow wheels are less than 40 dollar a piece. Most contracts provide free balancing and free mounting if on separate wheels. So do the math. Check for new type of rubber, that is softer all the way through. Most winter tires are only soft on the first few layers. Look at thread type. The more siping (small very narrow cuts perpendicular to driving direction), the better traction on wet roads. Look for V-type thread (quiet), the big cuts are at an angle to the driving direction.

LBNL, chains: buy the ones that are quick connect (do not walk out of store until dealer has shown you how to mount), and practice mount them in your drive way before you HAVE to mount them on the road somewhere in the middle of nowhere. TIP: Newspapers come in long skinny bags when it rains. Save a couple of them and use them over your arms to save your sleeves from getting filthy when installing or removing chains.

HTH, better late than never.
  • I did not see any documents that came with my new Odyssey listing the schedule maintance intervals and what needs to be done. Can anyone list that out for me or provide me with a copy of the maintance schedule? Also the car claims to have a 105,000 mile tune up interval. Does that need the spark plug and spark plug wires last that many miles? What else is part of the tune up?
  • tclstcls Posts: 8
    No, it's not by the two screws inside the tailgate. It's through a little plastic piece on the lens itself. You pry open this piece (on the passenger side) from the lens to reveal the screw under the lens. Unscrew that to dislodge the light assembly from the tailgate. Then you can unscrew the light by 1/4 of a turn.
  • Please register at Honda's ownerlink website to find Service/Maintenance details and other nifty tips:

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/

Here is a relevant snippet i found:
    Following the factory-recommended maintenance minder system in your is the best thing you can do for your vehicle. Regular scheduled maintenance helps prevent problems before they occur.

Because not everyone drives their Honda the same way, your Honda Owner's Manual includes normal and severe maintenance schedules.
  • vanhelpvanhelp Posts: 14
    I, too, have looked everywhere for information on the maintenance schedule. The Honda ownerlink website does NOT provide this info. any more than the owner's manual does. All that Honda will say is to service the van when the little light comes on telling you to. My "Service History Booklet" notes that "Different items have different service intervals based on mileage or time (whichever comes first), mileage only or time only." But again, no info. on what those intervals are!! I find this very frustrating.
  • The 2005 Odyssey has a "Maintenance Minder". There is no predetermined time/mileage on the maintenance, except 1 year. The computer tracks your driving cycle and will turn on the indicator that corresponds with codes in your manual. A1 -
    A - Oil Change 1 - tire rotation. No over or under maintaining your car. Best system ever.
  • b_radb_rad Posts: 38
    Spark plugs are cheap and the wires are EXPENSIVE. As the spark plugs wear, the resistance in the wires increase thus causing them to burn out. Changing the plugs will take at least a 6-pack and a couple of hours for us average shade tree mechanics. I plan to change my plugs between 50k to 60k if it needs it or not.
  • jtavaresjtavares Posts: 1
    I would like to change the pollen filter on my 2002 Odyssey. The owner's manual simply suggests this be done by a Honda dealer. I have purchased an after market filter. Has anyone replaced this and can you share how you did it?
    Thanks
  • race434race434 Posts: 1
    I tried changing the cabin air filter on my 2003 Odyssey yesterday. I got as far as removing the glove box and finding the filter housing. The filter is easy to find by simply snapping off the black plastic cover. That is where I stopped. A horizontal metal crossmember, as well as the plastic formed part of the dashboard blocks removal of the filter.

It appears that part of the dash must be removed to get by those horizontal supports blocking removal of the filter. I didn't want to go that far for a noncritical air filter change. Alternatively, I had no luck when I I tried removing some of the air filter housing screws to separate the two halves of the housing in order to remove the filter from below the dash. I'm wary of removing the dash without instructions. I don't want to break plastic fittings or clips that I miss. I also don't want to fiddle around too much in the area of the glovebox. All of those black and yellow wire bundles down there run between various air bag components, so you're basically working next to a bomb.

I think that I'll wait for a good Honda Odyssey shop manual to come out before trying it again. My replacement filter from Wix filters, part number 24897 looks like a perfect match, and comes plastic wrapped and boxed. I should be able to store it for a few years. Good luck on your task.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,862
    You have to remove the screws holding the metal bar in place. I have a link to some instructions but it is in another forum. I have a copy if you want - e-mail in my profile.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Posts: 223
    Check the handa.com site at the top to see if they still offer directions on your cabin filter replacement. What poor engineering that is. I tend not to change mine for that reason.
  • aaronwiaaronwi Posts: 18
    Just as a follow up to the previous posts on how to clean up milk and vomit stains from the carpet.

Yes, you need to locate a QUALITY enzyme product. Natures miracle is a ok, just more of a consumer commodity item. If you can locate a professional cleaner, they will have significantly better products.

Rinse the spot well with water. If you don't have a carpet extractor (rug doctor type machine) use a spray bottle of warm water and a shop vac. You have to physically remove as much material as possible. Follow this with a mixture of 3 tablespoons white vinegar with a quart of warm water; spray the area and then rinse several times. Follow this with a solution of 3 tablespoons white non-sudsy ammonia (found in the laundry aisle at WalMart, Kmart, ect.); apply and rinse well. NOW, you can follow this with the enzyme cleaner. Liberally apply and keep warm and moist overnight. You may have to repeat several times. Extract well between treatments. Enzymes cleaners work by releasing non-pathogenic bacteria (safe for us) into the stain. These bacteria produce enzymes and digest the organic material in the stain. They must be warm and wet to work (they die when they dry out). As they eat, they produce byproducts that have a different odor (it may smell worse while it's working then it did before you started) and that need to be rinsed out AFTER they are done working.

If the staining material did not go into padding or through the carpet into the foam backer, it will be removed quite easily (as described above). If it penetrated the foam or backer, be ready for a lengthy process to clean it.

Aaron

ps. Yes, I do have a little experience in this; I have owned a professional cleaning service for over 15 years.
  • fuelguyfuelguy Posts: 1
    I just changed mine on a 2002 with 45k - dirtiest filter I've ever seen. I googled a haynes manual which said to cut the plastic dash member off with a saw. After getting over the thought of sawing on my $30k vehicle, it really wasn't hard, and the member isn't needed. I think it's there for stiffness of the dash assembly prior to installation. The bracket screws are hard to remove though. I removed the right screw and could get a wrench over the left one just enough to loosen it. I was then able to wiggle the bracket far enough out of the way to remove the filter.
    Anybody have suggestions on where to find the tranny fill plug?
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Posts: 223
    See my post #4549 under problems and solutions for tranny fill plug. Was so nice of Honda not to have it in the owner's manual.
  • I just purchased a 2005 Odyssey and the dealer tried to convince me to buy Resistall protective coatings by Cal-Tex. Cost is $500. Does anyone have this coating? Is this just another way for the dealer to make a buck?
    IT is a quick buck!

Don't fall for it.

There is no need for this option. Standard factory paint with clear coat is fine.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,862
    Darrell - First, no advertising allowed.

Second - are you and your friends driving exactly the same roads at the exact same time? If not, then the comparisons are not exact. Further, I highly doubt anyone would be getting 30 mpg with an Odyssey right off the bat unless they are doing nothing but highway road trips at 55 mph.

Third, the EPA sticker is an estimate - not a promise. It is to be used as a guide for comparison.

Last, Honda engines seem to get better gas mileage as the miles pile on. If you are still getting lousy mileage at about 10K miles, then have them check it out.