Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4 wheel drive, just about to turn 50,000 miles. I love the truck and have had no problems with it, but I am starting to wonder if it is burning oil.

On rare occasions I have noticed upon startup that I get some blue smoke out of the tailpipe. I have noticed this maybe 3 or 4 times over the 3 years I have owned the truck. Last time I got an oil change I noticed on the ticket afterwards they had noted it was a quart low. I use synthetic oil and usually change it about every 6,000 miles as I do 90% highway driving.

I am almost due for another oil change, but this morning I noticed the blue smoke after starting it, so I drove for a few minutes, then parked it for a few minutes and then checked the oil, finding it is a bit low, below the cross marks on the dipstick. I am guessing it is about a quart low again.

I am wondering if this is a bad sign and if anyone else has encountered this problem with the Nissan 3.5L V6 engine. I love the truck but don't want to keep it if I am going to have engine problems from bad rings or something down the road.

Any thoughts anyone??
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    If you see smoke on startup it's usually caused by the valve stem seals leaking. The oil seeps into the combustion chamber and burns on startup. It can be an indication of worn valve stem bushings. This loss area usually doesn't use up much oil - you shouldn't notice the loss on the dipstick, even over several months and 5000 mi. - the loss is very small past the valve stems.

It is also possible a head gasket is leaking or the intake manifold gasket (if there is an oil galley through it).

My oil is usually down almost a litre after 6000 km and the vehicle has done this from new. If you are down just a quart close to change time I wouldn't worry about it until it gets a lot worse. If you have to add a quart half way to change time then worry.

Are you using 5W30? That can contribute to oil use. I switched to 10W30. The engine sounds quieter and runs smoother. I use Mobil 1.
  • opiedogopiedog Member Posts: 9
    Well add me to the list of folks with the "2005 Pathfinder acceleration rattle" problem. I'm schedule to have it repaired this Friday. Though the service manager said it was a rare issue, she did say they do encounter this situation periodically. She indicated that it was a catalytic converter issue. Let me see what the dealer can do. I've had the issue ever since I turned over 500 or so miles.
  • brianabriana Member Posts: 24
    Not sure if you are still checking this forum, but I had the same exact problem with my pathfinder as soon as I drove it off the lot. There is a reset procedure in the manual, but it doesn't work. It says to start out w/the steering wheel straight and then drive for over 10 minutes over 10 mph. The most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I did it 5 times and it didn't work.

Brought it to the dealer and it stumped them for 2 days. Then they decided to run the car in place on a lift in the service bay (as per the reset procedure) and that supposedly reset it. The dealer said that is how they are going to have to reset it and if you do a couple of things (including change the brakes) they will need to reset the system this way.

I'm hoping that is just the dealer not knowing the new car yet b/c if that's the case then the people at Nissan must be out of their minds. Anyway, that was my experience, hope it worked out for you.
  • winxsdwinxsd Member Posts: 3
    rufus19, I switched to Royal Purple Synthetic ATF, which may have resulted in a slight improvement in cold shifting. Then again, this may be a placebo effect. My best solution has been to allow the vehicle to idle for a few minutes before driving. Let me know if you have any other insights. winxsd
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    The parts did not get to the dealer in time for my appointment. As soon as it gets there and it is installed, I'll post an update.
  • rs4rs4 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the update.
  • mrgeekmrgeek Member Posts: 2
    After having my car in 3 times, my dealer let me know that a butterfly valve on the manifold is the culprit. According to the service manager, it was a design flaw. Nissan is aware of the problem and has a redesigned manifold that I had put on 3 weeks ago. Since then, the noise has not returned.

Has anyone been hearing a rattle in the plastic sunshade for the moonroof?
    Okay, I let the dealer have my Pathfinder all day today. They changed the catalytic converter and nothing has changed. The mechanic agrees that at just about 2100 rpm there is a tinny sounding noise coming from the engine. It is even audible when the engine is revved with the brake on and the vehicle is not moving. The mechanic is going to contact Nissan and I will be dropping it off again on the 7th for further work.
  • zancrzancr Member Posts: 7
    Hey all, thanks for all the info on the problems you're having. We have an 05 and have not experienced anything (well, the brakes squeek, but that will subside), so I want to ask my dealership what they're hearing on any of these problems. Let me know what your resolutions are and if I hear of anything from this end I'll post it. We still love our choice (05 SE 4x4).
  • 05se05se Member Posts: 4
    Well, my truck is in service right now. My service manager called me last week, told me he was aware of the problem, and ordered the new intake manifold which came in yesterday. I'm assuming that the new part is the redesigned version.....we shall see.

D.R.
  • azpathfinderazpathfinder Member Posts: 6
    HI,

My noise was fixed. It isn't the intake manifold it is the plenum valve in the intake. As soon as I started it up I noticed the difference. No noise over 2000 rpm, sure is nice. No other problems other than the pesky noise in the A pillar on the pass. side. I'll wait for someone discovering a solution before tearing into or letting the dealer do it. Averaging 18mpg so far for those interested.
    I'll post what they did to my motor and it fixed it!

AT14AA RPL MANIFOLD COLLECTOR/ASSY

1 14010-EA205 Collector
    3 14032-EA200 Gasket-ada
    1 16175-EA200 Gasket-ada
    1 14510-EA200 Valve Assy

Part# 14010EA205

Per service manager-
    Called fix hotline and talked to Norm, said would ship out new updated plenum assy, was never sent. Called back and said was going to be a bulletin that week, checked asist for bulletins and still found none. Check asist the following week and still no bulletin. Ordered new plenum and control valve assy and installed new plenum. OK after repair.

I should also note my brakes squeak after getting wet! They aren't offering any help at this time.
  • johnny_ringojohnny_ringo Member Posts: 30
    Is this the service bulletin for the engine issue?

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-015.htm
  • kuryakin46kuryakin46 Member Posts: 4
    johnny thanks for posting the bulletin. I talked
    to the dealer today and my parts were in so, I
    have to bring in the 2005 pathy on wednesday and see what happens, I'll post too after.

Azpathfinder, I have a squeaking front brakes when it gets wet, b/c has been raining here in
    northern california (silicon valley area) lately, dealer called hotline help and they were told to deglazed all the breaks and I was a happy camper after that.
    I've noticed the brakes on my 05 LE squeak a bit too. But, my 99 Altima did that from the day I bought it so I assume it's a Nissan feature :)
  • lpazdiscgolflpazdiscgolf Member Posts: 2
    '98 Pathfinder, Auto.
    After driving, running a quick errand and trying to start sometimes she won't start. The starter is turning the engine over but it won't fire. If I wait a couple hours it has always started the next time. When running there is no hesitation or problems that I can detect. I changed the fuel filter which had some interesting results but I don't know if they are pertinent. I purged the line by pulling the pump fuse and running the engine. It ran for over a minute and then finally died and I couldn't get it started again (as it should be). When I pulled the hose off the filter a bunch of gas sprayed out like it was still under pressure. I don't understand how there could have been pressure still and I can't deduce why it won't start sometimes. Sending it to a mechanic is dicey since the problem is not duplicatable at will.
    I had a similar issue with my Isuzu Trooper that was corrected when I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. That could explain the excess pressure you are seeing.
    Hi,

They supposedly cleaned my brakes but it didn't help (well for a few days it did) and in fact when backing out of the garage they squeak real bad even if they've been dry for days. I'll keep bringing it up to the service manager as I've got to take it in and get a rear seat cushion replaced because a spring is poking up. Great find on the bulletin, this should really help! Still love my Pathfinder!
    Hello,
    I have the same thing, front brakes squeaks when backing out from the garage and even worst when
    it is raining and get wet.
    I would suggest call nissan customer service
    and open a case, take down the name of the representative that you talked to and his/her
    extension and gave the info to your dealer when you bring in the car, this will bring your dealer attention.
    I did this one time and it works.
    Good luck.
  • lpazdiscgolflpazdiscgolf Member Posts: 2
    I went to the dealer who luckily was able to duplicate the problem. Says it was the EGI Relay that controls the fuel pump among other things. It is a $30 relay that takes a half-hour to replace according to the dealer. I will post if this doesn't fix the problem but assume it fixed it if I don't post.
  • encinitasmikeencinitasmike Member Posts: 1
    I have just begun to experience a problem with my dome lights(and door open light on my dash) coming on and off as I drive.. bumps , turns. I think I have tracked it down to the rear back door latch however I'm totally stumped as to where the switch is ?? inside the locking mechanism ?
    Mike
  • rs4rs4 Member Posts: 25
    I had my appointment yesterday, but the ordered part was missing some of the components. I was told by the Technical Manager that there is a flaw in the software used by the dealers to order parts from Nissan. They have reordered the part. Just wanted to share the information so that people can confirm with the Service Manager and save an extra trip
  • carfan3carfan3 Member Posts: 27
    Apart from sizeand price, which car should i purchase?
    The o4 Armadas had alot of problems since it was the first time they came out with this size. But now, most of the issues, if not all has been addressed. Is the Pathfinder going through the same cycle? I thought since Pathfinders have been around for a long time that they would or should not have any problems such as what i read hear. I thought all Nissan did was redesign the body in and out, and tweak some minor things.
    If this all new design is gonna go through the whole cycle that the Armada did, wouldn't it be better for me to get the Armada? Help soon!!
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    The Armada is built at Nissan's new plant in Mississippi. The Pathfinder is built in the US for the first time with the 2005 mode, but it is built in Tennessee, which has been building cars and trucks for over 20 years - Altima, Xterra, Frontier, and Maxima (starting with the 04).
    Thanks for your e-mail. I printed off the information from your link and gave it to the dealer. He ordered the parts and made the changes. Picked up my Pathfinder today and everything is sounding great.
    Glad to help. My truck is in the serial range of the service bulletin but has yet to start making the noise. How many miles were on your truck when the noise started?
  • honorhonor Member Posts: 5
    I am so glad I found this site. I have been dealing with this problem as long as I have owned the vehicle. I love the truck but hate the noise. Three days after I got the truck I brought It in for the problem. They told me it was normal. I have been to three dealers since and have had no luck as of yet. Please help me figure out what the problem is. Does your truck make a vibrating sound when you drive it? That is what mine makes and it drives me crazy. I also noticed the sunroof problem but can only hear it sometimes. They changed some valve in the plentum but my rattling noise did not go away. Please write me back with what fixed your truck. usahonor@hotmail.com Thank You in advance.
    two hundred or so. I only have 1200 on it now.
    trying to figure out how to see your reply. First time I have used this site.
    The brake noise is an easy fix. Go to the dealer and tell him to check the brakes. They had a problem in the manufacturing end where they bent the part behind the disk that causes a squeeling sound. Mine had the problem, they bent it back and no more noise a 5 min fix.
    Are you talkin to me?
    No more clicking sound from my Frontier.
    It was fixed Friday.
    Anyone who had it "fixed" but still hears the sound may want to double check what part number the dealer used. Mine almost put on the part Nissan sent, when they realized that it was NOT the newly designed replacement part. They got the right part in, and now, no clicking.
    Correct part: 14010-EA200.
    Hi all,
    Same here, went to the dealer last wednesday for the intake manifold collector and gasket replacement as per TSB and engine rattle sound was gone like woodshop28 said. I did not post right away b/c I want to test for a long drive and uphills which I did this weekend and yap it
    is gone and Pahty has a solid g-r-a-w-l now.
  • carfan3carfan3 Member Posts: 27
    Sorry Cheerioboy, this didn't help answer my concerns. can you and others please provide me with more feedback regarding my concerns? Thank you
  • eck2eck2 Member Posts: 6
    I look at this way....

I only have 1000 miles on my PF and I love it. I need to take it in for the TSB fix on the engine vibration but I am not in a hurry. It bothers me but hey they will fix and its not like its bothering me enough to rush it in. The manager of the dealer I bought it told me anything, anything else that pops us they will take care of it.

If you need the room go for the ARMADA. I didn't need it. The PF has lots of power, is comfortable, looks great and ride nice.

If you look into any vehicle in these forums you will find some issue with each one. Its not like their is some perfect vehicle out there.
    I don't think I can add anything else. I'm following this board as I may replace my 00 Maxima with a Pathy in a year or two....for my wife.
  • sosanicsosanic Member Posts: 1
    I just got an 01 path LE, which seems to be having these rim problems, at first it started making these whirring sounds and raspy noises, took it to the dealer I got it from and said the tires just needed rotating and balancing, (mind you I already see this dealer is not too honest). Some noise was reduced and then another sound was heard. I took the car to a local guy he put it on a lift and he said a sound was coming from the differential as well as the other sound, possibly coming from there as well. When I took the car service gave me 4 new tires, two days later this HUM, that doesn't seem normal is coming from under the car... IT comes and goes as you accelerate and decelerate... There's also a hissing sound audible now, and to give a little more background the water pump was changed a day after I got this car... SOunds like I'm screwed huh, but at the same time people say it sounds fine, that these sounds are normal, that differentials make sounds anyway (as per the service manager at the dealer)... I wish someone witht he same car could drive this one to maybe tell if I'm just freaking out... anyone else??
    anything anyone... HELP>>>>

jhonny blaze
    Less than 1000. Probably more like 500.
  • sickdogsickdog Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum but it seems like a good place to maybe get some help.

I have a '97 SE and am about to install my third alternator within 6 months. Either I am having extremely bad luck with remanufactured parts or something else is causing the alternators to fail. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look? Any similar misfortune out there? I appreciate any comments.
    I am not a mechanic, but make sure whoever is putting them on is not making the belt too tight. That'll make the alternator wear out quickly.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The problem above is only one of many possibilities. I'll list those I can think of.

1. The serpentine belt or "V" belt tension is important - too loose and the belt will slip and wear, too tight and the alternator bearings will fail (they usually fail before the water pump or A/C bearings). If your alt. failures were due to bearings, this is a possible cause.

2. There may be a short in the system. It would probably be intermitant, because a continuous short would reveal itself with smoke and fire ;-).

3. There may be a problem in the battery - does it go dead on you? There can be a short in the battery, intermittant or continuous. If you charge the battery and leave it disconnected and it goes dead overnight that would point to this problem.

4. The rebuilder may have a production problem. It all depends on what is failing in the alternators. There is a regulator inside and six diodes (in a pack, usually), as well as the commutator brushes and rings. The rebuilder can even destroy the bearings while assembling the unit.

This is why it's hard to answer your question. I hope this gives you enough information to know where to look.
  • chuckbosworthchuckbosworth Member Posts: 3
    Pathfinders get much better gasoline mileage (6 vs 8 cylinders). With gas prices going through the roof this might be a consideration. The Armada is a larger vehicle with more storage space. Also, the Armada costs more off the lot. The Pathfinder is basically the same car as in the past but with a 3rd row of fold down seats. The Pathfinder has a new 4.0 liter v-6 engine that has incredible power. There are more bells and whistles on the new Pathfinder especially the LE models than in the past. Other than that it appears to be the same car. This is our 2nd Pathfinder. We were happy with the 1st one and so far we're happy with this one.
  • chuckbosworthchuckbosworth Member Posts: 3
    We have a brand new 2005 Pathfinder, an LE model. This is our 2nd Pathfinder, the 1st being a 2002 LE. I have noticed this new car doesn't seem to track quite as well as our old one. It requires a lot of corrections and re-corrections as you're driving. Could this be tires, front end or what? Secondly is there anywhere a rear window deflector can be obtained on an after market basis. Nissan used to make one and it fit on our 2002 and worked wonderfully. They no longer make such a part. Help please.
  • ragpaoaragpaoa Member Posts: 8
    Hi, this is our first post. We have a brand new 2005 Pathfinder LE 4WD fully loaded. The build date is 12/2004 so it falls within the TSB engine noise problem. We love the vehicle so far with 1200 miles, but I have some initial questions:

1. We haven't heard the "Engine Rattle" problem everyone has been talking about. The TSB states Pathfinders built before January have this problem. Are the dealers obligated to change out the part even though the problem hasn't hit us yet? Do ALL 05 Pathfinders with build date before Jan 2005 have this defective part?

2. I have noticed something wierd about the A/C. We have the Dual Automatic climate control with rear control. Sometimes I want to turn off the A/C on cold days to save gas (here in San Diego, CA the prices average $2.32/gal, yikes!). However, when I press the 'AC' button to display 'A/C OFF' on the Nav Screen, the compressor still cycles on and off. I have tried all the combinations to turn off the AC, but no matter what, the AC compressor still cyacles on/off. The ONLY way to turn off the AC is to turn off the whole system by turning off the FAN to 'Off' (but then we get no air circulation). Oh, and I made sure the rear-air is off as well.
    Is this normal, and can someone please check out their system to see if they experience this?

Thanks.
    chuckbosworth,

I too have a 2005 Pathfinder LE, but it is a 4WD model. For reference, I had a 1994 Pathfinder, and currently have a 1995 4-runner and a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero, and I drive a Lexus GX470 as a company car.
    I too noticed, initially, that the tracking was a bit off. I do have to over-correct quite a bit, and it was a tedious drive, but this was initially when brand new.
    At first, having driven the other vehicles I listed, I was getting 2nd thoughts on the vehicle. But now, after 1,200 miles the Pathy seems like it beginning to 'smooth itself out'. Now, driving it is not as tedious as it was when it was brand new. Also, for some odd reason, the 4wd Auto mode even makes it even more easier to drive and it tracks really well in that mode. Close to the AWD Lexus GX470, and that's saying a lot. I'm wanting to drive it in 4WD Auto all the time if gas was not too expensive here in San Diego.
    Oh, for the rear-window deflector, there is one on E-Bay for a 2005 Pathfinder, but I may be skeptical.

Is your 05 Pathy a 4WD model?
  • kenb1kenb1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1998 4x4 SE and it is missing two of the center caps (alloy wheel) and the right front mud guard. Has anyone bought the aftermarket caps from Hubcapkingdom.com ? They are much less expensive than the OEM ones. Have not found a source for the mud guard.
    A TSB will not be done on all cars automatically. It's a bulletin with instructions on how to fix a problem that people may see. It's not a recall, where all cars within a certain VIN series will get parts checked and/or replaced, whether or not they see the problem.
  • jager32jager32 Member Posts: 15
    This is a good question (#2). I don't have a PF yet but I'm thinking about an LE, 4wd. I have a 02 VW Passat GLX, and it has an Auto climate system. It has a button called "ECON" which if I engage allows me to use the auto climate control system in AUTO or MANUAL mode without the A/C compressor coming on(Gas conscience Europeans demand these features). This is a great feature, but I can't tell from reading the 05 PF manual if the PF has something like this or not.

If you put it in MANUAL mode and turn the A/C off does the compressor still come on?
    jager32,

Yes. In manual mode, the compressor still cycles on/off. Actually, manual mode is the only way to turn off the A/C according to the manual, unless you turn the whole system off by turning the fan knob to 'Off', which is the only time the compressor does actually turn off.

Edit: After carefully researching the manual I have noticed this:
    Sectiom 4-22 Display screen, heater, air conditioner and audio systems:
    When the DEFROST control is activated,
    the air conditioner will automatically be
    turned on at outside temperatures above
    36°F (2°C). If in defrost mode for more than
    one minute, the air conditioning system will
    continue to operate until the fan control is
    turned OFF or the vehicle is shut off, even if
    the air flow MODE control button is used to
    select a position other than the position.
    This dehumidifies the air which helps
    defog the windshield. The air recirculation
    mode automatically turns off, allowing outside
    air to be drawn into the passenger
    compartment to further improve the defogging
    performance.

Hmmm ... 'the air conditioning system will
    continue to operate until the fan control is
    turned OFF or the vehicle is shut off, even if
    the air flow MODE control button is used to
    select a position other than the position'

Odd ...I have never put the system on DEFROST.
    Could be a bug in the Climate Control software?