Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Help Me Select a Wagon

Comments

• mikenkmikenk Posts: 281
    I was in about the same boat you were about 6 months ago. My other car was a Toyota Supra so I was not looking for the station wagon to be a sports car, and cost was really not that big an issue. My semifinalists were the Volvo xc, the Audi a6, the Passat, and the Outback H6. I eliminated the Volvo because of problems I had with my prior 850 and the ride was too harsh. The A6 was just too much money for the value, but it is really nice. The finalists were the Passat and the Outback VDC. I really liked both cars. The Passat had a sportier feel because of the transmission and a nicer interior. I liked the expected better reliability, quietness, ride compliance, and stereo better on the VDC.

We picked the Outback VDC and have been very pleased. In my opinion, all of these cars have a different personality. Go drive them all and see which fits you better.

I also wanted to look at the Saab, but my wife just didn't like the name. It wasn't worth the fight. The A4 was too small.

I thought about looking at the Saturn and Taurus. They are both roomy and less money, but I thought they were too boring to consider.

Good luck. Tell us what you picked.
    Mike
  • Thanks for the reply, Mike. Did you consider the Jetta wagon, too, or was it too small? I'm intriguied by the diesel version.

There just aren't that many nice wagons out there, it seems. I am tempted to test drive a PT cruiser, too.
  • mikenkmikenk Posts: 281
    No, I did not look at the Jetta. I assumed it was too small. The Passat was the only VW I considered. For me, the PT Cuiser was never an option; too weird and too slow.

You might look at the Toyota Highlander; it seems more wagon-like than most SUV's.

Mike
  • Does anyone have any recommendations on the best wagon for a multiple pet owner, who must carry cages and carriers from time to time? I am thinking about the ability to fit more than one across, vertical space, ease of loading, etc. Perhaps these considerations are no different than for someone loading sports equipment or construction gear, but perhaps pet owners have had some good or bad experiences with particular wagons. Thank you.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at [email protected] with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks for your participation.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards

• Hi everyone. Gary here, from Long Beach,CA. I'm looking real hard at a Passat GLX Wagon but I read in the Passat area where someone gets a horn stuck or something else not very pleasant, so I'm hoping someone can either persuade me I'm making the right decision or influence me into another wagon. My wife and I have an 11 month old, so we really want a wagon. Thanks all and Happy Valentine's Day
  • bill_1bill_1 Posts: 97
    The thing to remember about most of these boards is that the complaints you read on them about a vehicle can make the vehicle seem very much worse than it actually is. The reason is simple, people are far more willing to complain about something than to sing it praises, and those complaints are also very likely to stick in one's mind. Better tools are ones that look at large numbers of the vehicle over an extended period of time. Most VWs, though not perfect, do pretty well at holding up over the years. Mind you though, even the best built carline in the world will produce lemons now and then so there is no garuntee that the vehicle you are looking at will be trouble free.

In other words if you like the VW Passat, I can think of no compelling reason not to get one.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    What are you looking for in your wagon? Answering that question will allow us to better help you select a station wagon.

I have a 10.5 month old son. We bought our Saturn LW200 wagon last May shortly after his birth as our Geo Metro hatchback was a _bit_ small for a family vehicle ;-). The wagon is great with all the baby stuff we have to haul around, plus all the new furniture we've had to purchase, etc. The Saturn is big enough to seat 4 adults plus the baby seat which was one of the things I was looking for (this crossed off many of the tall, narrow wagons from our shopping list).

We looked at the Passat as well as the Saturn. The Passat was very nice, but for us it wasn't sufficiently better than the Saturn to justify the higher cost of the VW, especially with the GM financing deals that were available at the time. If you can afford the Passat and like the addition features it offers, then you'll likely be very happy with it.

As Bill said, you have to be careful when reading the complaints on these boards. Many people who have problems with a car make it their mission in life to try to prevent anyone else from buying one. You must take many postings here with a step back to see the big picture. Lemon-aid guides, JD Power surveys, etc. can be useful indications but of course it is always hard to predict what this year's model will be like down the road. If you want to be covered against big future repair costs, perhaps an extended warranty is a good idea though I think VW's now have 4-year standard warranties anyway.
    Be sure to check out some of the Edmunds' tools (i.e. vehicle search/comparison) and other related Town Hall discussions in the Helpful links on the left side of the page. Happy Shopping.

Revka
    Host
  • I was not necessarily in the market for a wagon when 16 months ago I bought a spotless, pre-owned 1999 Taurus SE wagon (V6). I was looking for a good value and this car had only 18K miles on it and at $12.5K it was a very good bargain. It has power everything (locks, antenna, etc.)

The car feels real solid, good on the open road and not as bad on gas as I thought. It has a very high safty rating.

One thing I noticed on other wagons is that their are often no rear seats and having kids with friends who always want to visit, having rear seats is a big plus. In my neighborhood of Essex county New Jersey, I see Taurus wagons everywhere. It's a very popular vehicle and owning one I can see why. A very solid car.

DME
    and glad your Taurus is serving you well. Here's a direct link to our ongoing Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Wagon discussion where you can also share notes with other owners. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • Just under a yr ago I was looking for a wagon to replace our SUV. Have 2 kids, sometimes haul junk in the back, and do 2-5 hour road trips every month to visit the outlaws:) Space, solid handling, fwd, decent luxury, good performance, and long term durability (i keep cars for 10 years) were my rqmts.

If money were no object, I'd go for the MB E320 4-matic. Will last a lifetime, it's big and roomy but handles ok. BMW 5 series wagon is similar price range but is a joke -- as far as wagons are concerned - cargo area is ludicrously small. The sedan on the other hand....that's another story. Audi A6 was also on the list - but the cargo area in the A6 seemed small. Interior is probably the best in the industry though. Price of A6 was just outside my range though.

That left me looking at Volvo and Saab. After driving both, the Saab 9-5 wagon won hands down. Much better handling, faster, slightly more room, better looking...more fun to drive, etc. We've had the wagon for almost a year. Zero problems and is a great car when cruising @ 80mph on long trips. If you're looking, test drive the saab - it;s my first saab and it's true when the say "..people who test drive a saab usually buy one...

Passat was an outside choice. Build quality seemed cheaper than the Volvo and Saab and franly didn't think the passat is in same class as the others. Also, still question long term durability of VW. Lots of old Saabs and Volvos around..LOTS..., don't see too many old VW's - please no flames from VW fans - just my opinion. ..howver I do believe that VW is getting better, but believe their marketing is better than their products....
  • I have a really great mechanic-he's taken care of
    my various cars for 18 years. I am shopping for
    a wagon, and he advised against the Passat wagon.
    I read an earlier posting that not too many old
    ones are seen-my mechanic verifies this. He says they are expensive to maintain and fix when something breaks, and elsewhere in the Edmunds reviews, current owners say they wouldn't buy another Passat or VW-just something to think
    about. I recently sold my 11-yr-old Honda wagon-
    (now THAT was a great car), but I need a little more power and rear leg room for an almost teenage boy-suggestions, anyone? Thanks!
  • koda2koda2 Posts: 1
    I currently drive a 1992 Eagle Summit Wagon which I dearly love. I removed the back seat and am left with a large flat cargo area perfect for my big dog who is a constant companion and goes just about everywhere with me. If additional passenger seats are needed, the back seat is just popped back in. The problem is my mechanic is beginning to have a very hard time getting parts for this car and advised me to consider buying something else. Does anybody know of a small wagon or suv that allows the back seat to be popped in and out? Thanks for your help.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    The reason you don't see too many old Passats is that there weren't too many sold. They were probably outsold 10 to 1 by Accord and Camry.

As an aside I put 180,000 miles on a 1980 Scirocco with no major problems. The new Passat is a much more reliable car than that car was.
    You may want to check out the Chrysler PT Cruiser. I'm aware that you can easily remove the rear seats in that vehicle. Someone else here may have another suggestion. Good luck with your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Having a removable rear seat is the definition of a light truck (minivan-SUV) so you won't find any wagons with this feature. PT is classified as a light truck.
    The environmental protection agency classifies it's a car. The NHTSA classifies it as a van. Edmunds' has it listed as a midsize wagon in their New Vehicle guide. So take your pick. ;-)

Anyway, for all practical purposes... it's a wagon, imho. We currently have the PT Cruiser discussion linked to the Hatchbacks and Station Wagons boards here.

Revka
    Host
    I fully agree that the PT cruuiser is a wagon for all practical purposes. However Diamler Chrysler would rather have it called a light truck to raise the CAFE average for that segment. And I suppose another reason is that station wagon is a dirty word to them, since them seem to be calling all their new wagons "segment busters", "cross over vehicles" or some such nonsense.

If you look on page 15 of the 2002 EPA fuel economy guide you will see that the PT cruiser is listed as a "2WD sport utility vehicle" - right between the Chevrolet Trailblazer and the Dodge Durango. Since this is an EPA publication, to me that suggests that the EPA considers the PT cruiser to be a light truck (SUV) , but I could be wrong :^)

Here is the link to the 2002 guide I mentioned above.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2002_Full_Doc_Lite.pdf
    This is interesting because I remember when the PT Cruiser first hit the market, sources I read (i.e. Edmunds First Drive: 2001 PT Cruiser) mentioned that the EPA had classified it as a car.

I was following all the news pretty closely back then... and have been quoting my information on previous articles. This of course leads me to wonder if the EPA may have been changed the classification since then.... In any case thanks for the correction. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • mauislickmauislick Posts: 107
    I think looking a what fits your needs, finances,
    would determine what you should buy..
    everybody go look at the "MAINTINENCE AND REPAIRS" section of this forum..EVRYCAR LINE IS MENTIONED.....so to worry if you car is not going to have problems....forget it.....most do have something go wrong sometime...even it's just a dead battery....that can be percieved as problem...depending on when it happens to you.
    I bought a passat,,,yes I'm concerned about all the horror stories.....the car fits my needs (cargo space/afforablitly) I also like the looks of the car......so I bought it...by the way, as of 2002 they have a 4 yr 50,000 b to b warrenty 5yr 60,000 power train.
    IF I had more $$ it would be a E320 station wagon, no questions. they actually have usable cargo space! but 50,000.00 is out of my range.
    VOLVO, SAAB, Audi, Subaru, Saturn, Taurus, etc. they're all good cars to someone....which it a good car FOR YOU.....only you can decide.....
    If was really rich,,,I might have one of each!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,711
    Get an early '90s Caprice Classic wagon.
    a magazine journalist is looking for:

-people that have successfully haggled for a lower price when buying a certified used car
    -people that have met resistance when asking the cert. used car dealership if they can take the car to their own mechanic
    -and people that have been persuaded NOT to buy the car they wanted because of comments on a chat board like edmunds' town hall.

If any of these apply to you, please call 212-830-9275 or send your email to [email protected] It it helpful to include your name and phone number. Please respond by March 15. As always, you can also contact Jeannine Fallon, RR Director for Edmunds.com, if you have questions about this process. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Here's a direct link to Edmunds' First Drive: Suzuki Aerio, by John DiPietro. Let us know what you think. Also, for more discussion on the Suzuki Aerio SX, join us in this ongoing discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,292
    I was shopping for a used A4Q with a load on it in a light color (I live on a dirt road).
    They didn't have a sedan that met all the criteria but they had a '98 CPO wagon in Melange (metallic tan). It was in such good shape that I said "A wagon's fine".
    Since we have no kids and also own a SAAB 900
    Hatchback, we really didn't need a wagon. If you want a wagon that'll haul around a family or any significant cargo the A4 is not for you, you want the Passat or the A6 or possibly a V70.

On the other hand the A4Q will hold it's own with any sports sedan--it's just a ball to drive (especially w. good tires and sport suspension) and the AWD gives it a utility that's not available in most other wagons.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

Hi Folks - Interesting Town Hall Subaru chat, this evening (18 April), for both Subaru and non-Subaru owners. Rick Rhoades, Subaru of America Technical Service Instructor, and Pete Eike, Subaru National Fixed Operations Training Manager will discuss all aspects of maintaining your vehicle, including which areas need attention prior to making those long trips.

If you are around at 6-7 pm Pacific Time or 9-10 ET please join us. And don't forget to fill out the interesting survey in the Chat area as well. Here's the link: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/subarumaintenancechat041802.html

Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hi Folks- Last night, Edmunds launched a powerful new tool – True Cost to Own (TCO). Here's an article that explains this new feature and how it can help you in making your purchase decision: True Cost to Own (TCO), by Philip Reed. Hope this is helpful. Let us know what you think. Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

• 99typej99typej Posts: 2
    I bought my Subaru Legacy GT wagon less than a year ago. Expensive and expensive to maintain european cars were out of shopping list. I was torn between getting Mazda protege 5...or wait for Toyota Matrix. Both were youth oriented wagons ..and they look less like wagon and more like a sports cars. I never liked the subaru outbacks cuz I didn't want high ground clearance that makes the car look more SUV and less sporty. But I found the Legacy GT when I was actually checking Toyota dealer to see when they were getting Matrix. Unlike Outback, it's lower and GT version has sportier suspension than L models. Plus it had everything I could ask for. ALmost everything except leather seating was standard. Plus the cargo area is very roomy compare to protege 5. After test driving both protege 5 and legacy GT, legacy GT won me over because it handled equally good with more power and features. Interior of legacy was more comfortable and luxurious than protege 5 (there is no comparison). Only other wagons I can see myself buying if I have to do this all over again is WRX wagon or Toyota Matrix. But both offer less room and feels cheaper (even though they will outperform my Legacy).
  • peetertpeetert Posts: 124
    We're looking at getting a newer used wagon to be used as a commuter/second or even primary car.

Our current vehicles are a '90 Volvo 740 sedan and a '98 Ford Explorer. The 740 is the car that will be replaced. It is currently my commuter car and sits on weekends. My wife uses the Explorer for around town with the kids (5 & 2) and it is our primary vehicle for shopping, trips etc.

When we first looked at upgrading we concentrated on sedans, but now feel a station wagon could be used not only as a commuter, but could replace/compliment the explorer as a weekend car.

Safety is our primary concern, as is build and comfort. We've narrowed our choices to with either a 98-99 Volvo V70, 99 VW Passat, or the 98-99 Audi A4 Avant(at high end of our budget).

My wife prefers an automatic so we're looking primarily at those. I welcome any and all advice with regard to the above vehicles.

With regard to the Passat & Audi, is the 1.8T engine strong enough or should I look only for the 2.8V6?

Thanks,

Peeter
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    I think if you're going to saddle the car with a slushbox, you should probably get the V6. I think also that any of the cars you listed you be a fine choice.
This discussion has been closed.