Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The Current State of the US Auto Market

Comments

• Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Nah, just overpaid underworked smarmy past their prime management types

I think it's all the fault of whiney cube-rats who can't get along with anybody!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Doh, of course, I stand corrected!
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    It's all about where one started and ended, and comparing apples to apples.

Agreed totally. But applying resale value of two different models that cost differently when new, and were not in the same vehicle class, as a measure of success is surely the lamest argument I've seen here in a while. No offense intended.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    edited April 2013
    Now do you really want $6,500 worth of car after 5 years of light use, or do you want $10,800 worth of car after 5 years of light use?

Depends on the original purchase price, and what I needed the car for. If the PT had cost me, say, $16,500 while the Miata originally cost $20,800, then both cars lost me $10,000, regardless. And, that only comes into play when trade in time comes around. If I'm not ready to trade, it's fairly irrelevant.

Also, as Uplander pointed out, two totally different vehicles. I look at a PT Cruiser as an everyday driver/commuter car workhorse. A Miata is more of a fair-weather, cruising around, fun-in-the-sun (if not the back seat) toy for those with discretionary income to spend. I'm sure people do use them as their only car, but I'd imagine that most buy them as a second far.

So, one is the type of car most people need to have in their lives. The other is more of a luxury, a want. But not a need.

Oh, thought you'd get a kick out of this. Yesterday I saw not one but TWO first-gen Neons! One of them was for sale, a '98 model, asking $1950. Other than being coated in pollen, it didn't look too bad. The other one, I'll concede, was parked at a service station...
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    LOL exactly the kind of smarm I was talking about.
  • Options
    Weird apples to oranges stuff there, indeed. Different vehicle classes have different resale - I bet a Toyota 4x4 at the same age would have even better retained value. They are also completely different vehicles - a roadster vs a tall wagon. Different vehicle ages - PT was ancient and a fleet queen by then, Miata was relatively fresh. I am pretty sure in 2008, nobody narrowed their new car choices between a PT and a Miata.
  • Options
    Yep, not my primary car and I've owned 2.

Both commanded markups at intro, though, remember that PT that sold on eBay for $25k?

That may have inspired the comparison. Anyone who paid a markup took a bath on both.

With Miatas, though, after a while they stop depreciating, some NAs even gain value if they're original and in good shape.

Ironically I test drove a PT convertible but the structure was a wet noodle so I passed. It did have amazing rear seat legroom for its size.
  • Options
    LOL exactly the kind of smarm I was talking about.

Agreed, just like the whine I was speaking of.

I'm surprised nobody has apparently commented on Ford having great profits in the last quarter.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2013
    Best ever quarter in NA.

Ford News
  • Options
    Funny that some things dismissed as "whine" in the past have cost some their necks. Sure would be a crying shame if that happened again, especially if it happened to smarmy worst generation types who couldn't hack it if they had been born 20-30 years later.

It'll be interesting if Ford can creatively account those NA profits to override the European collapse.
  • Options
    Funny that some things dismissed as "whine" in the past have cost some their necks. Sure would be a crying shame if that happened again, especially if it happened to smarmy worst generation types who couldn't hack it if they had been born 20-30 years later.

The flip side of that issue is that there are people in their early to mid careers who have been so spoiled, had their educations handed to them, gotten all sorts of luxury perks from mom and dad, and then hit the real world and just can't fathom how unfair it all is. They think the world owes them something. They're in the top 90% of world population by wealth and amentities and it's still not right! And they would have done better 30 years earlier because they would have had to work their butts off to get where they are, and would have found that out early in life.

How did GM's profits and progress compare to Ford's? Isn't GM still losing market share to Ford?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You've given your kid(s) a free ride, right? I guess you'd know the other side of that. I know a girl who is as you mention - graduated a year after me I think, parents paid for school, car, new car after grad, down payment on her condo, yearly or bi-yearly family trip abroad, I think still pay her car insurance (!), and she once was amazed at how her co-workers can have money complaints. Of course she has somehow obtained a lower management position - but she knows how to play the oldsters, so she can have it. Some people are oblivious to their luck, either by birth or being born into a less competitive era for degreed workers. Hell, I still have a student loan to pay off - just not much incentive at 2.5%, when I can get 5-6% out of a very basic mutual fund.

If Ford is gaining, it is coming from somewhere - it is a zero sum game (kind of like wealth in race to the bottom globalization). Ford has a sharper looking lineup IMO, so for cars anyway, I could see Ford taking sales. Fusion could be the best looking ride in the price range.
  • Options
    You've given your kid(s) a free ride, right? I guess you'd know the other side of that.

A couple months ago, my Mom mentioned that she was irritated at one of her cousins (my godmother) that she's really close to. Turns out, her son, who must be something like 50 by now, had to hit his mother up for something like 50 bucks. He had a good electrician job, but got laid off. However, his wife has a good job, and he's getting unemployment, and doing side jobs under the table.

Mom said that she was tempted to tell her that I never, NEVER (Mom's emphasis) asked her for anything after I got out of high school. Unfortunately, I had to bust Mom's bubble, telling her that Grandmom did help me out when I bought my condo. Something like $3,000 I think. And, when I went through my fiasco over a marriage, my uncle "sold" me his '88 LeBaron for $2,000, but that marriage sucked me dry, so I wasn't able to pay him back until around the time I bought my 2000 Intrepid! In fact, he lent me the $2K down payment for that, as well! But at that point, I was starting to recover, so I made sure to pay him back for that down payment, plus the $2K for the LeBaron.

And, when it came to my college education, my Dad actually stepped up, and probably paid for about half of that. I had thought I told my Mom that in the past, but if I had, she had forgotten. And, Mom sort of conveniently forgot that Grandmom and Granddad helped her out a lot through life, as well.

But, anyway, for better or worse, I know I didn't get to where I am by myself! I don't think any of us did!
  • Options
    Build better product and they will come.
  • Options
    It is tough around here. I have the only teenager in Potomac without a smart phone.

Most have much better ones than I have.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    teenager? I am surprised you can find a kid outside of elementary school in a wealthy area without one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Indeed, none of us built it all ourselves. I didn't get a huge amount of help in school due to parental divorce and following issues, but I was fairly adept at finding enough scholarships, grants, and loans to get me by. Glad I did it then, as it costs twice as much now. And I'm grateful for what I have.
  • Options
    You've given your kid(s) a free ride, right? I guess you'd know the other side of that. I know a girl who is as you mention - graduated a year after me I think, parents paid for school, car, new car after grad, down payment on her condo, yearly or bi-yearly family trip abroad, I think still pay her car insurance (!), and she once was amazed at how her co-workers can have money complaints. Of course she has somehow obtained a lower management position - but she knows how to play the oldsters, so she can have it. Some people are oblivious to their luck, either by birth or being born into a less competitive era for degreed workers. Hell, I still have a student loan to pay off - just not much incentive at 2.5%, when I can get 5-6% out of a very basic mutual fund.

My kids certainly have it better than I did, or my wife. They have (used) cars to drive and are not working much during school year. We're providing the basic tuition for a 4 year degree - after that they're on their own. Whereas I wored two jobs and took five years to get my bachelor's, always working 20-25 hours during the school year. And I bought my first car, used, with money I earned. Yet my kids see friends of theirs that are getting so much more than they are - it's pretty amazing. Like the girl in my daughter's HS that got a brand new CR-V for her birthday!

It seems the kids of today have it easier growing up, but then harder getting a job. Unless of course they actually picked a major field that is employable. There are plenty of opportunities out there, but our society is differentiating those with the right educations, skills, and aptitudes more than 30 years ago. Look at the UAW workers - little education, not a lot of high skills, but score a job that pays very well with super-great perks and retirement. Not happening like before.

If Ford is gaining, it is coming from somewhere - it is a zero sum game (kind of like wealth in race to the bottom globalization). Ford has a sharper looking lineup IMO, so for cars anyway, I could see Ford taking sales. Fusion could be the best looking ride in the price range.

That's how I see it as well, except that I don't like the fish mouth of the Fusion - the rest looks good IMHO. That's why the GM crowing about earnings doesn't move me much - how much of that is due to a generally improving economy, versus actually becoming MORE competitive compared to the competition? Market share is the marker for that statistic. I haven't looked at GMs market share numbers in the past few months, but AFAIR in the past couple of years it has not been trending in the right direction.
  • Options
    teenager? I am surprised you can find a kid outside of elementary school in a wealthy area without one.

My kids are teens and just got their first smartphones in the last year. They have to chip in for the extra $$/month.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Tuition, room and board too, I assume?

I am more concerned about the cushy public sector jobs with insane tenure and pension systems than UAW issues. The former don't seem to be going away with any speed - and I pay for the former a lot more than I do the latter. The heavily subsidized FIRE industries aren't winning any favorable opinions either.

And even with the right education, a dose of offshoring can ruin it all - STEM won't be invincible for everyone, and not everyone has the ability to be an engineer or a doctor. Friend of mine with a computer science degree had a rough time at the beginning of the oughts - but he's fine now.

I think the Fusion wears the gaping maw better than any other mainstream car. Should have kicked the tires of one today when I was out, but forgot. To be fair to GM, their lineup is better than it has been in a long time, decades. They've at least made some positive movement since the bailout, as the competition does when they've been bailed out. Only a couple ways to play that game.
  • Options
    And even with the right education, a dose of offshoring can ruin it all - STEM won't be invincible for everyone, and not everyone has the ability to be an engineer or a doctor.

So for offshoring, we all agree it could be handled in a more balanced fashion. Doesn't seem like anybody in government really wants to change that. But fundamentally:

1 - do we go into isolationist mode, and accept the consequences when others don't want to buy our wares, either?
    2 - do we stay open like we are more of today, and try harder to be competitive?
    3 - do we try to put some balance into the equation, and still realize that will have *some* adverse consequences?

It's not like the rest of the world isn't sick enough already of the US trying to dictate behaviors to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It's this simple - play by our rules if you want in to our club, or you don't get past the bouncer. Everyone still wants in. What are we trying to dictate, that grand social and environmental criminals clean up their acts? We can play the same game as others or institute penalties to compensate. We aren't "open", in many ways, we are suicidal. We are probably the most "open" in the world, and do not have the best quality of life for the average person and we loudly fail in many human development indices, not to mention having long lost the economic mobility lead. Something to think about.

Other places add "balance" to their respective equations by aiding or protecting domestic industry, no reason why we can't either. Isolation isn't an answer, unrestricted openness, which we approach more than any other, is not viable in the long run either.

Government is bought off, we all know that.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Thank God saner minds prevailed at Ford! The Mustang II was enough of a travesty. The Probe was a chick car and would probably be dead by now anyway if it replaced the Mustang.
  • Options
  • Options
    Heck, the only reason I have a cell phone at all is that I'm piggy-backing off my wife's cell phone plan. Heck, I didn't have a cell phone at all until 4 years ago and I got along fine.
  • Options
    I have an old Motorola flip-phone that I don't even know how old it is. My previous phone was a free one I got back in early 2009. It worked fine, but one day I noticed the screen was cracked. My '79 New Yorker had died at work, and I think in fiddling around with it, and having the phone in my pocket, I might have leaned over something messing around under the hood and cracked it.

Anyway, one of my friends, who's now on his third iPhone I believe, still had his old flip phone. So we swapped the SIM cards and got it to work.

I might break down and get an iPhone though. On my plan, I'm eligible for an upgrade, and can get one of the older ones for something like 99 cents.
  • Options
    Remember these?

A friend of mine had one back in the late 1980s and he thought he was "all that." Another relic of the time was the squiggly antenna affixed to the rear window on cars that had cell phones. Pep Boys sold fake ones to wannabes to put on their hoopties.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited April 2013
    I test drove a '13 Ram 1500 Laramie with the Hemi/8 speed on Friday. Wow, very nice truck inside and out. Lots of power, sounded nice yet quiet at speed. I really dig the new interior.
    Also the new for '13 electric power steering is probably the best I've sampled yet. It was a bit lighter than I'm used to, but overall it I liked the steering response (for a truck). It drove smaller than it is.

The 8 speed definitely provided plenty of ratios to keep the engine in it's power band and the truck was plenty quick. It shifted smoothly, but man did it shift all the time. Any pressure on the gas pedal meant a downshift and I did notice it was a bit jerky when slowing down to a stop while the transmission seemed to be downshifting. FE is rated at 15/21 which is definitely competitive considering the power output.

All in all a very nice truck. Probably the nicest on the market IMHO. I'm going to test drive the F150 again. It's been nearly a year since I drove one, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

IIRC, I'd say the Ram felt more nimble, but the f150 seemed more isolated and a bit smoother. Also under 4k rpm, the Ecoboost had a lot more power. The Hemi didn't blow me away with power. It felt very strong above 4k rpm, but kind of soft at lower rpm.

I remember the Ecoboost f150 making my Expedition feel like a slug. It wasn't that way with the Ram. Actually, after I got back in the Expe, I punch it to get a good comparison, and by seat of the pants, the old 5.4 felt nearly powerful as the Ram until 3,000 rpm or so, after that the Hemi obviously has a lot more power. Plus, the 5.4 in my Expe seemed smoother and is definitely quieter (even with 120k miles).

If it wasn't for the fact we were busy over the weekend and have a lot going on this week, I might have bought it. But I'm probably still going to wait a bit longer.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2013
    Both commanded markups at intro, though, remember that PT that sold on eBay for $25k?

I imagine the Miata and PT weren't all that far off on original purchase price, but I admit I didn't look it up, I'm sure the Miata was more, but not all that much more.

The point is that the PT may have outsold the Corvette for the same reason it outsold the Miata, and that is the price they are bickering about.

Lower a Corvette Z06 and brand new Miata to PT prices and I'm sure the sales would have been quite different!

Not as many people are in the market because they don't have the budget for a new Miata or Corvette while they are in the price range of a PT.

Yes, it may have more utility than the sports car, but I believe the main reason is $$$$$. As my friend said, he'd prefer the V6 but his budget requires the 4 banger.

Cheapness sells in America, unfortunately. I prefer long term value to initial cheapness, but Americans like it cheap.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I think I-phones have better glass than other phones such as my brother in law's Samsung. He's on his second in less than a year (he bought accidental warranty coverage; good call on his clumsy part), and his replacement already has a cracked screen again.

I don't consider myself clumsy, but I have dropped my I-phone more time than I care to admit. The glass is fine; maybe they use Gorilla glass like Sony does on their higher end TV's.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Sony should do an ad for their televisions using an Elvis look-alike. Do you think that Gorilla Glass is bulletproof?
  • Options
    Our iPod touch has been OK, good case I guess, but the kids have a friend who is on her 3rd. She takes it out of the case and .... oops.

That's been sort of a "bridge" for us. No monthly bill, but most of the features of an iPhone.

We're debating the Republic Wireless plan, but I'll wait until they launch newer devices this summer.
  • Options
    My friend who gave me his old Motorola flip phone is on his third iPhone. However, the first one was fine; he only got the second one because it was an upgrade, and his phone plan allowed him to get it pretty cheap. The second one started having issues with holding a charge, but he waited until he was eligible for another upgrade, before getting the third.
  • Options
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/29/nissan-recalls-over-120-000-altimas-due-to-sp- are-tire-inflati/

Just have dealers check it at the next oil change. Is a recall really necessary?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It's part of the new marketing strategy on the part of the automakers. If you aren't constantly recalling your cars, you don't care about your customers.

I'm only half joking....

"Those that wait to recall vehicles until NHTSA tells them to, he added, become the bad guy, while companies that initiate their own recalls are seen in a more positive light. "People are smart enough to see a recall not just as a negative, but as something proactive on a company's part."

Carmakers become proactive, step up recalls (Detroit News)
  • Options
    One funny thing is that Toyota said the customers with recalls actually had higher loyalty rates.

So it can damage the image, but perhaps to people who aren't buying them anyway.
  • Options
    Do you think that Gorilla Glass is bulletproof?

I suppose that depends on the type of bullet and type of firearm being used. I've heard even the best bulletproof glass will be penetrated by an expert marksman hitting the same exact spot about 5 or 6 times from close range.
  • Options
    Thanks to my work and job I have two I-phones now. I got the really good Otter box protector, while the company chose to use a "decent" Verizon case. Neither has broken.

My Samsung example was broken/cracked screen twice with the same exact Verizon casing protecting it.

Removing the case and then breaking it is moronic, but if it still breaks with the cases protection......... I'd be telling Samsung they have an implied warranty that a decent case will protect it from a fall of 6' or less.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I still have a gen 1 Motorola Droid. That model has the Gorilla glass (iphone never did). No need for a screen protector, and pretty much indestructible.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    "One funny thing is that Toyota said the customers with recalls actually had higher loyalty rates.

So it can damage the image, but perhaps to people who aren't buying them anyway."

The spare tire recall clearly demonstrates that all recalls are not equal. And, given the forward-thinking dealership, it gives the dealer another chance to interact with the customer to build loyalty. While the car is there, give all the tires/fluids a quick check, run then car through the car wash and give it a quick vacuum. Most customers would drive away feeling they got something for free .vs. having to take their car in for an inconvenient recall/servicing.

It's the smart dealerships that capitalize on these types of problems, turning lemons into lemonade.
  • Options
    My wife had a Motorola 815 flip phone forever, and only traded up to a smartphone the day before Verizon eliminated the unlimited date plans. She was pretty much forced to upgrade to a smartphone anyway, due to the availability requirements of her workplace, and getting a smartphone eliminated the beeper she used to have to carry with her everywhere.

As a family, we all now have basic iPhone 4's, but my wife's has a larger memory capacity... Again, for work reasons.

Her first phone was exactly like that bag phone in the picture a few postings back, around 1993, IIRC.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The ever reliable Wikipedia credits Steve Jobs with persuading Corning to un-mothball Gorilla Glass. AFAIK, it's made in Japan and in Harrodsburg KY.

New factory opening soon in my old stomping grounds - Woodbridge adding new plant in Chattanooga to manufacture products for the automotive industry (timesfreepress.com)

A relative reportedly scored a job with them, so if I play my cards right, maybe I can score some inside info. Or some foam to play with. :-)
  • Options
    I wonder what kind of "real world" numbers the 2013 Ram will post. FWIW, 15/21 is a touch higher than the rating on my 2012, which is 14/20. It doesn't sound like a huge amount, but it still represents a 6.7% improvement on the city cycle, and 5% on the highway. When you're dealing with relatively low numbers to begin with, the savings can add up pretty quickly.

I had to drive my '12 up to Carlisle over the weekend, because the Park Ave broke its supercharger belt. I filled up on the way back in PA, because gasoline was a bit cheaper up there. Now, I only put about 150 miles on that tank...I don't like to let it get too low, because at something like 28 gallons, an empty tank can break the bank pretty quickly! Anyway, that tank represented maybe 15 miles local driving, 135 highway (albeit "spirited" highway driving), and I got about 16.5 mpg. Oddly, I did better on the second tank where I logged about 148 miles. That tank was about 95 miles highway, coming home, and the remainder was comprised of my uncle driving it around some on Sunday, me driving it to work and back on Monday, and then driving out to drop the Park Ave off at the mechanic, who's about 10 miles from home, and out where gasoline's a bit cheaper. On that tank, I managed about 18.3 mpg. Provided, that is, the fuel pump didn't shut off early! Also, I did drive a lot more gently on the trip home from PA. And, when we took the Park Ave out to the mechanic, I drove pretty gently, because I didn't want my friend in the PA to push it too hard. I've read varying sources about driving with the supercharger disconnected...most say that it's okay, but some say that you should drive it more gently, and not very far, because it may lean out the fuel mixture.

I know when you fill up a relatively full tank, your mpg reading is likely to be less accurate than filling up a tank that's almost empty. And you can't take just one reading as the Gospel.

Overall though, in the 2621 miles that I've had the truck, I've averaged 14.3 mpg, which I guess isn't too bad, considering it's mostly local driving, is still probably breaking in, and hasn't had a warmer summer cycle to expose the truck to a full year's range of temperature cycles.
  • Options
    My 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille had a 28-gallon tank. It broke the bank when gas was $1.35 for premium and it took forever to fill it from empty. You could order a sandwich from the deli around the corner, bring it back, and maybe the tank will be filled by the time you finished your sandwich.
  • Options
    One reason I don't like letting a big tank get too low is that these days, it's not hard to hit the dollar limit on a fuel pump before it fills up. I don't know what the limits are these days, but there have been a few times that I hit a $75 limit filling up my '67 Catalina. It has either a 26 or 27 gallon tank, can't remember which.

And, call me obsessive compulsive, but I like to fill up a tank. I don't like it when the fuel pump shuts off prematurely.
  • Options
    Lately I've noticed, on the few pumps that actually have signs, that the dollar limit has been bumped up to $150.
  • Options
    Good...because when we have one of those grocery store discounts we'll take 2 cars and a 5 gallon gas can, all in the same transaction. So I bump in to that limit all the time.

We usually get at least $0.30 off per gallon, so may as well fill 'em all up! :shades:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My dad had a friend that owned a land-yacht sized Eldorado, and he used to say his car would pass anything else on the road... Except a gas station!
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I wonder what kind of "real world" numbers the 2013 Ram will post. FWIW, 15/21 is a touch higher than the rating on my 2012, which is 14/20. It doesn't sound like a huge amount, but it still represents a 6.7% improvement on the city cycle, and 5% on the highway. When you're dealing with relatively low numbers to begin with, the savings can add up pretty quickly.

I'd expect a slight improvement. Probably in the 14-15 range.

Now that its gotten warmer out, my Expedition has been averaging about 15mpg which is up from the 11-12mpg I get when it's cold.

Overall though, in the 2621 miles that I've had the truck, I've averaged 14.3 mpg, which I guess isn't too bad, considering it's mostly local driving, is still probably breaking in, and hasn't had a warmer summer cycle to expose the truck to a full year's range of temperature cycles.

That looks pretty good to me.

As far as filling up, I too like to fill to full. When I'm at a 1/4 tank on the gauge, I can get about 19 gallons in. I kind of wish my Expedition had a 31 gallon tank like my Suburban did for some extra range.
  • Options
    ...weighs 128 ounces or 8 pounds, a full tank of gas in a 28-gallon vehicle adds 224 pounds of weight to an already heavy vehicle. Theoretically, one should get better fuel economy as the fuel gauge moves to Empty.
This discussion has been closed.