Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    Mine does this sometimes, depending on what electrical gadgets I'm using. There is a fuse panel immediately under the lower left corner of the dash and whenever I switch my rear defrost on or off, I get a ticking sound coming from that area. As best as I can figure, the rear defrost uses a relay (basically a mechanical switch that physically flips between off and on instead of doing so electronically) which you can hear clicking whenever it cycles on or off. I would not be terribly surprised if there were other relays in the "interior fuse box" area inside lower left dash that accounted for the ticking noise you heard.
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    If you go to the Mazda info booth at the Chicago Auto Show you can get a coupon for a special, additional $500 cash back offer. I was told this is an auto show special, good in the Chicago area only. I believe you have to take delivery of the vehicle by March 9.

twist
  • rbrooks3athomerbrooks3athome Member Posts: 31
    Anyone know where I can download the Zoom Zoom theme music? I've done several searches but can't find a download.

Thanks,

Ron Brooks
    When I bought my Pro last month they had a factory finance deal working that was $500 cash back or 0% for 3 years or 4-5 years at 4.9%

Ron Brooks
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    As you say mpg seems to be the cars one weakness. My previous car, a '96 Ford Contour, (V6;170 hp) oftentimes got better mpg. Still I'm not squawking about it.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Just bought a really cool seabreeze green ES back in December.

KEEP IT!

What you would lose trading on the 2003 Corolla is a lot more than what you would save in fuel economy. In fact, you could never save enough to equal the depreciation on the ES, the difference you would have to pay, and the immediate depreciation on the Corolla. Gas just doesn't cost that much, even in Canada.

Don't go by the ratings. If your Pro ES is 5-speed,depending on how you drive, it should get 32mpg to 36mpg highway. I have a '01 Pro LX 2.0 with AT and get 28mpg city 36mpg highway.

fowler3
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    The new Corollas are nice, and they've historically had beter fuel economy ratings than the Protege. I think our cars are geared for good acceleration, not fuel economy. My fiancee was leasing a 98 626 LX with the same 2.0L that's in the Proteges now, and it's rating was 28 city, 34 highway. Not as good as the Corolla/Civic, but better than the Protege. I've driven the new Corolla and Civic, and they lack the abundant low-end torque of the Protege 2.0L. They don't start to boil till around 4000 rpm. Still 32/40 is very good for the new Corolla.

It looks nice, inside and out, but Toyota went the cheap route and put a torsion beam axle in the back! What is going on? First Nissan puts beam axles in almost all its cars except the top line Infinitis- back in the early 1990s, I think all their cars had 4 wheel independent suspension. The Sentras and Maximas were the first victims of cost cutting, and similarly the G20 and I30/35s have beam suspension too. The Altima has always had independent rear suspension though (go figure). The beam suspension is a strictly non-sporting suspension. I owned a Sentra SE for about six months and began to hate the rear suspension. It was unnerving on bumpy turns, and the rear end would get loose on anything other than smooth turns. The worst part was that the rest of the car wanted you to go fast. The Matrix/Vibe twins also get a beam rear suspension unless you get AWD, then you get double wishbone rear suspension (go figure again-Double wishbone is expensive). I never expected the Corolla to become a sporty contender like the Protege is, but at least they didn't have to take a step back to beam suspensions.
    Answered my own question. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/music-glance/B00000099D/qid=963360358/s

r=

Ron Brooks

It seems almost all manufacturers are doing the same thing. Engine management technology has come a long way. They are more efficient and easier for the manufacturers to get better hp and tq. Look at entry level cars with variable timing and variable runners are next. But suspensions are another thing. It seems everyone is more concerned over offering more room than anything else. So, Honda drops the wishbones on all 4 corners. Nissan goes with beams and Toyota too. I personally don't get it. My personal peeve: why does ANYONE make rear drums? That's one of the things that made me come to the Pro. But even Mazda only offers it on the ES. Why? And with computer systems so cheap, why do they offer ABS and ONLY Saturn offers traction control in this price range?
    Anyone have any ideas how I can exit the Pro without lighting myself up? Every time I get out it's like being hit in an electric chair. I know my nylon jacket isn't helping but these are some strong shocks! Would spraying static guard help? It's getting to where I'm afraid to get out of the car.
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    I really didn't find the new Corolla that big at all. I noticed there is more head room but the rear seat still had way less room than a protege. I know alot of people like what they did with this car and I'll admit, it looks a little more modern but it still is a very plain looking car. It looks like a skinny Camry. And yeah, what's up with the rear beam suspension? I guess it's one way of making the Corolla's pricing more competitive...but no thanks for me.

Someone also mentioned why mazda does not have VVT on the current Protege engine. Well they do, in the 170 HP Japanese spec engine but it's not such an easy thing to get approved in North America. I think since the next gen protege that is comming up in a few years will have totally new engines, that it's not worth it for Mazda to spend a whole lot of money on improving the current 2.0L engine.
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    to all factory rebates. It's an EXTRA 500 bucks off from the Chicago area Mazda dealers.

twist
    how difficult and expensive it would be to get a J-spec 2.0 Protege engine to drop into an American Pro(5)? I assume since it's the same engine it would be bolt-in easy, but I wonder a bit about the difficulty of finding or getting one over here. If I decide to trick out my Pro5 in a year or two, a J-spec engine or the allegedly soon to be here factory turbo kit would be tops on my list.

rbrooks: Unfortunately no. I noticed this too and chalked it up to my being in New Mexico where a relative humidity of 15% or less is nothing unusual. About 90% of the time I get out of my Protege5, I get shocked when I touch the car body. It's gotten to the point where I simply step out and close the door with my elbow or knee or other body part that's not direct exposed skin (read: my hands). That way you still get zapped but it's a bit more tolerable. It almost seems like the car itself gains a charge when you drive it (I don't have this problem getting in ever) and when you get out and touch the door, you provide a ground for the charge to leave the body of your car. Makes me glad it's not stronger! Still, if anybody has any suggestions or solutions, I'd love to hear 'em too.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I would imagine that the wiring harnesses and ECU are different on the J-spec 2.0L. I know that Japan uses different gas too.

As far as getting shocked when exiting your car, it has only happened to me once. I know that the MX6 and MX3 has a little plastic piece on the door panel that you are supposed to touch before you get out and you won't get shocked. I wonder why Mazda quit doing that.
    In the 50's and 60's, most American cars had so much nylon in the fabric upholstery it shocked everybody when they got out. To drain off the static electricity many drives used grounds, which were strips that attached to the bottom of the car and dragged on the road. You may still see these
    on old cars. With changes in fabrics most cars don't cause shocks these days.

If you are wearing nylon or wool clothing it can happen,and scooting on the seat as you slide out increases the possibility. I swing around and put my feet on the ground, then use the door pull to aid in getting up, as if it was a chair. This prevents shocks.

Also, after you open the door touch the steel door jam or other nearby body steel before getting out. The static electricity isn't in the car, it's in your body, from your clothing. If it was in the car you would get a shock when opening the door to get in.

newcar31, Mazda probably deleted those buttons when most people started wearing cotton T-shirts and Levi's and the newer fibers like polyester.

fowler3
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Well, Speedypt and I did, in fact, meet up this morning at the Chicago Auto Show. He and his friend Eric were very nice, and were very patient about answering all my idiotic car questions, which I tried to keep to a minimum. I'm sure he'll give us his full report as well, but I'll chime in now.

Twistinmelon, we most definitely saw an ES Pro there...looked pretty nice, especially the interior. I like the new, darker fabric much better than the gray stuff I have. (Actually, that was the one bad part of the Auto Show for me...getting back into my own car to go home. That was the first time since I've had my Pro that I've noticed it looking a little old...and it's only been a year!)

Also liked seeing the special edition Miata... that titanium gray color is pretty slick.

Speedypt and his friend were like kids in a candy store...I could barely keep up with them. I'm sure the Auto Show staff is working overtime tonight to close all the hoods those guys popped open.

After a yummy slice of pizza and a coke (thanks again, pt!), I headed out and left Pete and Eric to finish their tour of the show...I had absorbed all I could for one day.

And that's when things got real interesting for me...Pete doesn't know this yet, but it took me AN HOUR to find the correct exit out of the convention center to get back to the correct parking lot.

My next mod: OnStar system in my purse!
    you need a long-range, keyless remote that works with a compass arrow pointing in the direction of your car. LOL! Press the button and the car sends out a signal which swings the arrow towards it. Hmmmm. now that would be nice in any big parking lot.

fowler3
    Static Guard might work, but have you smelled it lately? It used to have a very distinctive odor...not something I'd want in my car.
    other cars, too, and I have yet to see one that I would be willing to pay the difference for. The only compact car that offers what I would like in a small car costs a whopping $38,000! Not worth it to me, even if I had the money.

The more I look the more I am thankful I have a car as nice as the Protegé LX. It isn't perfect, though it comes close, and the others are a lot more expensive and have problems I don't want to be bothered with.

Walking out of a supermarket tonight, I spotted my little Pro sitting across the lot glowing under the street light, and noticed how it stood out compared to all the dark-colored, larger cars which blended together into nothingness.

One thing I have noticed is that Protegé owners take much better care of their cars than the owners of BMW 3-series and other luxury road toys. How often do you see a BMW 328i with black front wheels? I see them all the time and the whole car is usually dirty.(Some times I think about waiting for the owner to return and kicking his/her butt.) Pro owners treat their cars as if they cost $40K. Zoom Zoom!

fowler3
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    After opening your door, select an all metal key from your key ring (meaning it can't have plastic coating over one end like the Mazda ignition key), touch key to metal part of door, this will discharge your static instantly.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    The key thing doesn't work for me. I think I accumulate the charge when I slide out of the seat. What I find works best is to rest my leg against the bottom of the door frame as I get out. As long as I am still touching metal when I cease to be in contact with the seat, I do not get shocked. Of course, this makes it necessary to keep the car clean at all times unless I want to walk around with dirt on my left leg all day long. Front mud flaps help. To me, this is the only advantage of leather seats (little or no static discharge). Unfortunately, I find leather very uncomfortable on long trips. I have had 2 cars with leather, and I got rid of them both early because they gave me backaches.
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    the new Corolla has a beam suspension. Oh well, that car is even more off of my list.

fowler: How do you get 38MPG out of a 2.0L Protege? The EPA has it rated at 25/31 with a manual transmission? You must be pulling the Pro with a U-Haul to get that kind of gas mileage.
    If you are referring to my post #7833, here is what I said:

Don't go by the ratings. If your Pro ES is 5-speed,depending on how you drive, it should get 32mpg to 36mpg highway. I have a '01 Pro LX 2.0 with AT and get 28mpg city 36mpg highway.

I didn't say 38mpg! I did get a true 36mpg, though, on a trip to Virginia in November, average cruising speed 60mph, the posted speed limits on the roads I was traveling were 55mph. Not Interstates.

A '94 Civic I owned that and later years, with a 5-speed, over the same routes did get 40mpg easy, but I wouldn't trade the Pro for that car, or any other Civic today just to get better fuel economy.

There's more to driving fun than fuel economy, if that's all that matters to some drivers they should get an Toyota Echo.

If you have ever considered a car with a modern V6 engine, comparing the EPA fuel ratings and fuel prices, one can quickly figure the difference in costs and see that it's about $40 a year more. Assuming the ratings are close and accurate. Most drivers can squeeze out an extra mile-per-gallon or so. This is with both a 4 and a 6 using 87 octane.

fowler3
    What was said about nylon in seats got me to thinking. My winter coat (a very nice one, and just fine for New Mexico though a bit lightweight for Chicago) is practically all nylon. I take that back, the shell and sleve linings are all nylon, the body lining is 100% polyester, it's that polarfleece stuff. I would imagine this jacket is the main culprit for my getting zapped, especially with the dry climate here. Once it starts getting warmer, I'll have to see if the shocks decrease when I go jacketless.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I totally agree that in dry winter weather I always get static shock when I try to close the door after getting out of the car. To elec3, I doubt the nylon/polyester jacket is a major factor in creating static shock, since I get shocked even when I'm wearing a leather jacket! Like fowler said, most likely it's the rubbing against the seats while driving that's building up the static. I have learned to NEVER close the door with my bare hands when getting out of the car, instead using my elbow (if it's covered) to push the door shut.

Curious thing is, the static problem only shows up in dry WINTER days, and NEVER happens when the temperature goes above certain degrees, like around low 50's. Any scientific explanation of this?
    (that's for all you Jane's Addiction fans out there :)

I have yet to get shocked in or near my Pro. I usually wear cotton, and I don't usually wear a coat when I drive.

I also don't usually have the heat on, either, even in the winter. On REALLY cold days, I might run it for a few minutes here and there, but not continuously. (and no, I'm not a polar bear, but when Speedypt posts the picture of us from the auto show, you'll see why it doesn't take much to keep me warm...plenty of natural insulation :)

Maybe you guys are taking even more moisture out of the air with the heater?
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    The lower the ambient humidity, the easier it is to build up a static charge while wearing nylon, polyester, silk, etc.
    I avoid this nuisance by making sure I'm touching any metal part of the door after I open it and before I start moving to get out. This prevents the charge from building up.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    The best way to avoid getting shocked is to maintain contact with a conductive (metal) part on the car until you've gotten out of it. I find keeping my left hand on the b-pillar as I disembark takes care of this handily (pun intended). You could also use the doorframe.

Someone asked why it's temperture dependent. It's really moisture dependent. Increased moisture in the air increases conductivity of the air. Air can hold more moisture at higher temperatures. The little water vapor molecules bouncing off you carry off little bits of the charge you've accumulated. With enough water in the air, you get hit with water molecules at a rapid enough rate to bring your potential (v. the car) down sufficienty that you don't notice the (now) small transfer of charge.

So, on cold days, unless it's practically foggy outside, you're more likely to get zapped than on a relatively dry warm day.

I think the seat fabric is a poly/cotton blend (that's what it feels like to me). Look up any triboelectric chart on the web and see where polyester and cotton fall on it, versus what you're wearing. The farther apart they are on the chart, the more likely you'll acquire a chart. This occurs even when just touching the two materials together. Rubbing them past each other brings more effective surface area into contact, resulting in more charge being transferred. Whoever said science isn't fun hasn't played around with it enough. :)
    Oh yeah, even though you've acquired a net charge just from sitting on the seat, you won't notice it until you've separated yourself from the seat. That's because the seat has acquired an equal charge, of the opposite polarity. These equal and opposite charges basically zero each other out, so long as they're close to each other. By sitting on your seat, you've "collapsed" the electric field. Once you start separating the charges, the potential increases rapidly, which can lead to sparks etc. if you have enough charge to create enough potential to break down air molecules.
    I think the base engine in the new Mazda 6 is supposed to be offered as an upgrade for the Protege sedan and P5. I think it's an all-new all-aluminum design with variable valve timing and other new engine technologies. I forget the exact displacement, but I think it's 2.3L. Oh yeah, even though "Duratec" is slapped onto it, it's a Mazda design.

Imagine the light, nimble little Pro with a 165hp (torque is around 145lb-ft, I think) engine in it. I'm so glad we have 4-wheel fully-independent suspensions (with rear TTL that allows the rear to swing out in higher-g turns...it's fun!).

So far as creating more cabin/trunk space, Mazda's done the right thing by coming up with an entirely different rear suspension in the 6. I wonder if they'll eventually put something like this in the Protege/P5? It'd really open up the trunk space. Even if not, I'm glad they're sticking to their philosophy of Kansei and Optispace. Fun and practicality (reliability too) are what I look for.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I was having a good chuckle when you were all talking about getting zapped when you exit the PRO. Well last nite after I got home and out of the PRO, as I was closing the door: ZAP! Not laughing now... This is the 1st time I had this happen in the PRO. It used to be a little more frequent in my old Civic.
    Now, now, before you all jump at once, here's the scoop. Since I share the PRO with my mom and so far we have a good 24,000kms on it in 1/2 yr, I decided NOT to ruin the PRO and its warranty. I will be getting a new car in September. I was thinking for something around $6500 taxes included. BTW, taxes are 15% in Ontario, so the car should not be more than $5650 before taxes. A car retailing for $6000, can be had for $5650 after negotiating.

Since it will be in September we'll have plenty of time to discuss it, but I was curious to get a little feedback. I need something in 5SPD (if I want auto, I can take the PRO for a spin - and I will anyways ), with AC. Everything else is a bonus, although the Integras and MX-3s I was looking at all have rims, sunroof, spoiler :)

I was thinking of:

91-93 Integra 2 dr coupe
    92-94 Protege 4 dr sedan
    93-94 MX-3 Precidia

Other possibilities (if I find one for a good price and in good condition):

Accord 2/4 dr
    626 ???

Did any of you have any experience with these cars (good or bad - I NEED to know before forking over the $).

Thanx all!

Dinu

PS: I'll still be on the PRO board, relax :)
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I'm not sure in Canada whether the MX-3 had the 1.8L V6. If so, I would seriously consider it. It was a very fun ride at the time. I considered getting one at the time, and probably would have if I could have afforded it. I think of my 2001 PRO ES as the MX-3 I never got (though slightly more sensible). I love the hatch. I believe the 626 had a hatchback model for a while during the early 90s as well.

It seems to me that there are a lot of Integras around, so you may find that the easiest to locate and also the earliest to tune, if you are into that sort of thing. Keep in mind that maintenance on an Integra that old can be very expensive. Acura parts and mechanics cost big bucks here in the US. Honda isn't much better. My dad works in a Honda/Cadillac service center in Jackson, TN. Needless to say, replacing the timing belt on a Honda costs almost twice that of the Caddy.

I would try to stick with the Mazda nameplate if I were you.

Good Luck.
    Look for 93-94-95 Civic coupe, hatchback, or 4-door, they were fun to drive and most are 5-speed, especially the coupes. That was the style with no grille in front, sheet metal blended with front bumper and they had real sealed beam headlights. Other features, the headrests had offset posts, clean dash styling.

Look on Autotrader.com now international and called http://www.us.trader.com click around to get canada.trader.com and don't go to a Honda dealer for service, find an independent garage with factory trained mechanics. People who use to work for Honda dealers.

fowler3
    I had one of those babies...well almost. A 93 Civic HB. I know the styling and love the coupes. Maybe I'll check one out too, but their price is sky-high in Toronto since people seem to pay whatever the seller asks from them. I also had major troubles with that engine (radiator, water pump, head gasket, pistons) and I'm not too wiliing to try that year out again (:

Boggse: Here's a quick bit about that engine from www.canadiandriver.com "The base engine is a peppy 88-horsepower 4-cylinder and the GS version has the smallest V6 ever marketed in Canada, a 1.8 litre rated at 130 horsepower. The four is the better engine choice for fuel economy and reliability. The V6 is prone to valve gear problems and should have a new timing belt by 100,000 km, however the extra horses under the hood make it perform more like its go-faster looks suggest." I would stake out the 4 cyl - don't need to be pumping $ into this car.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Dale, did you sit in either the 2003 Toyota Corolla or the 2003 Toyota Matrix?

-Larry
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    What are the negative issues with a Beam Suspension, anyway? Old design? What?

Respectfully,
    Larry
    I was wondering that too but afraid to ask :)

dinu: I wouldn't recommend a 626. Unless you can swing a sportier one with V6 and manual, they're just plain boring. I've spent a fair bit of time driving a 4 cylinder auto 626 and it's a good, solid, reliable car, it's just no fun at all to drive.

My zapped-ness is probably related to everything mentioned here. I do usually use my heater when it's cold out (yes it does get cold here overnight). The humidity here is always low. For example, the humidity right now is 11% and the dew point is -4 degrees. Then on top of that I wear my nylon/poly jacket over a cotton t-shirt most of the time. The other day I zapped the everloving bejeezus out of myself just walking around my room (which has a tile floor) when I touched my desk which has a metal strip running around the edge. Yikes. I'll report back later when it's warm enough for me to go jacketless.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    J-Spec: You can have it put in the Protege5 (stick shift) for about $5000 total. I know someone who did it with their ES model.

Shocking: Take the very tip of your key and touch it to the black part of the doorframe BEFORE you touch it to close it when exiting the car. Works like a charm. Used to do it with both my 1999 DX and 2001 ES Proteges. Stops the shocks completely.
    I didn't sit in either of those Toyotas, but I think Speedypt did, so maybe he can give you his opinion (which I'm sure would be more educated than mine anyway).

I sat in only one car, at Pete's insistence; I believe it was a Nissan...Maxima? It was nice, but I still like my little Pro!
    Do you remember if the majority of the cost on the j-spec was the engine itself or the work to put it in? I have some good friends who would love the opportunity to put a new engine in my car for a case of beer. In fact, one offered to put a Northstar V8 in my Pro5. I'd take him up on it if I had the money. Imagine the ZOOM! that'd be ;)
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    First of all...

Dale...it was a sincere pleasure to meet you and share some time admiring cars. I am sorry if I seemed distracted...I haven't been to a good car show in over 5 years. Also...my friend's name is Mike, but I promise not to tell you called him Eric!

Mazda Display:

7 or 8 Pro's there. 1 ES, 3 P5's and some LX and DX's....all 2.0 now of course. I agree with Dale comments about the ES fabric. Dark is better. I especially liked the suede-ish type stuff on the inside of the doors. It felt niiiiiiiiiice! Didn't care for the new "hood crease" they put down the center of the 2002 hood. It's too much and spoils the otherwise nice lines of the hood. It may be needed for stiffness however. I also REALLY like the three spoke wheel. Would be even better wrapped in leather. Dale and I agreed...spoiler was a take it or leave it for both of us. Nice to have, but not a necessity.

Here's a link to "proof" Dale and I were there. Sorry for the quality, the photographer must have jiggled....check the other place for photo...

Don't forget to check my other two photos at the same time. Folder "Pete's Stuff".

Dark Charcoal P5 there looking sharp...already showing the dust though....

Mazda 6 was WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY cool. Very well put together, looked great. I would change the rims though, they look better in the pictures than in person. They had a blue 4-door. No pics to post...some mysteriously disappeared from my digital camera....may have to get the memory card checked.

No RX8 at the show. Very disappointed in that. They just ran a stupid (although high quality) video over and over on an overhead projection screen. Would have been much better to see in person, especially since it's supposed to be so close to production. If they keep the price close to that of the new Nissan 350Z (under 27K), I just might be buying one next year!!! With 4 seats I can take the wife and both kids (when #2 arrives in August) for some Zoom Zooming!

Many other cars that were great to see. Ford GT40, Ford F350 Tonka, Infiniti Q45 (this is the car you sat in Dale....), Mercury Marauder Convertible concept, Corvette Z06 (my favorite-real-car-I-would-buy-if-I-hit-the-lottery)...and many, many others.

Also a bit disappointed in the lack of aftermarket booths and vendors. Had hopes of finding and buying a set of Altezza taillights for Trigger.

Regards,

Pete
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    My car used to shock me all the time. All you have to do is grab some METAL on the door BEFORE you slide out of the seat, and KEEP HOLDING ON TO IT as you get out of the car. Once you're out you can let go and touch any part of the car you want without getting shocked.

That's a little simpler (and less prone to scratches) than touching stuff with your keys etc.

Meade
    Speedypt:

So your friend's name was Mike, not Eric; I sat in an Infiniti, not a Nissan; and I couldn't find my way back to my car.

Probably not a very good first impression, but believe me, I wasn't on drugs.

Just high on all that new car smell, I suppose :)
    My "new" dealer has Alteezas for sale, along other aftermarket parts (HID lights, K&N, etc). I changed dealers b/c the prices at the prev dealership were out of this world, while these guys charge much much less. They are VERY competitive with auto chains... Your dealer should help you with it.
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    No problem Dale...I was so into that show...I'm thinking of going back again for more pictures. If you were on drugs...I'd expect you to share! (Just a little joke...I don't condone drug use in any way shape or form. If you need a "high", take your Protege around a fast sweeper!)

Dinu...I can get the Altezza's off eBay for about $120...I'll probably get them there.

Regards,

Pete
    The engine is $1950 from http://www.corksport.com. But the thing is, the place takes them out of wrecked cars with low mileage. I don't think they are guaranteed either. Go to the aite and click on "J-spec engines" on the left side to see more info about it. They also void your factory warranty. So be warned!
    I never had a shocking problem in my 2001 ES. My 1999 DX used to do it all the time though. And in 20 months of ownership, I never scratched the door trim touching the key to it when getting out.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    My 91 Tracer (protege) would shock me all the time when it was new, I would touch the door with my elbow to dissipate the shock before closing the door. Some shocks were so strong, my finger would sting!