Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I noticed the posts about the cleaning products and I just wanted to chime in with my two cents.

I too purchased the Armor All Glass Cleaner wipes. In fact, I purchased all the products that come in the wipe type.

I have used the Glass Cleaner and the dash cleaner, but I have not used the protectant.

Both the dash cleaner and the glass cleaner left lint, but the amount of lint left by the glass cleaner bordered on the ridiculous.

Another cleaning product NOT to try is that orange cleaning sponge. I do not know the name, but I do know that using it left all kinds of orange bits all over my dash.
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    For dealer invoice go to www.mazda.ca - the website gave the same price as the dealer I went to in Toronto. Also see post #822 which is several months old but it should give you an idea.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I seriously doubt that, Paul. I imagine it was the improved rigidity and possibly different sway bars int he 01 ES compared to your 99 DX, in addition to the low profile and larger tires!

Spoilers are more effective at MUCH higher speeds than, say, 100mph. And are useful to increase traction on the driven wheel, usually the rear-wheel (most really fast cars, or those built for racing, are RWD). In fact cars like the Porsche Carrerra (hp?) have a moving spoiler that stays retracted all the way until it exceeds something like 140/150 mph, and then it starts to slowly rise higher.

That aside, I've taken my 95 DX up to 110 or so, on a relatively steep sloping section of freeway (as freeways go), and with two new Michelins up front and a recent wheel alignment, it seemed pretty stable! And I have the 13 inch wheels! Pretty impressive for a small car, I think

-ashu
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I have to come to Paul's defense here. The Carrera's spoiler activates at about 50mph. Not only does it provide additional traction on high speed curves, but the added weight from the downforce does increase stability. Having said that, I wouldn't doubt that the spoiler on the Pro or many other cars were designed for looks more than effectiveness.

:)
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    There's a new (I think) review of the MP3 at CanadianDriver.com. Some decent close up pictures of the interior, including the stereo system, and nice exterior shots too. Man I wish that blue was available on the regular sedans, or at least the ES model. Still don't care for the spoiler...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/01mp3.htm

• the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    also check out the First Drive review here at Edmunds. Seems like the editors here have something against the aftermarket look that the MP3 conveys....

I actually like how it looks, but I agree that spoiler's gotta go, doesn't fit with the rest of the car. The spoiler that comes with standard ES probably would look better.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Must be why the spoiler on the MP3 is so ugly. :)
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    The ES 2.0 (auto) will go past 115mph.....when nobody is around and you are racing your cousin in a Civic :0). Since I was going down hill it pulled 115mph pretty easily and seemed liked it had room to go but I'm not sure how that would translate to flat land. So I do not know how fast it will actually go or if it has a limiter. My guess is that the 5spd could probably grab 125mph given enough room. My auto starts to get wiggley at just past 105mph. Even driving it like that it was still at 26mpg./

By the way the engine is not all that loud even at 5-6k rpm. Wind noise on the other hand is scary. I'm all done playing Speed Racer. I like to get it all out of my system and then drive normally.
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    Hey guys,

Now that it is summer, could everyone post what kind of gas milage you are getting "with the AC on", AUTOMATIC ENGINE 2.0 size. I am trying to figure out what to expect. And correct me if I am wrong, but the protege lx 2.0 has a 14.5 gallong gas tank correct? I drive in ATL area 80+ degrees here.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Yes, the 2.0 has a 14.5 gallon tank. I used the AC throughout my entire last tank, because it's been 90+ here in Maryland. I yielded about 23.5 mpg with the 2.0 and automatic. I think it used alot, because I put cheap gas in it the last time (had no choice, ran out and had to refill to get home). I put Amoco in this time, and that always seems to improve my mileage. Strange that the 1999 DX sucked Amoco gas quickly, but this 2001 2.0 ES loves it and uses it slowly.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    It hasn't been hot enough here yet to use AC.
    Even if I use AC all the time I still get 28-31mpg with my ES 2.0 auto. My driving is 80-90% highway even during my daily commute. I usually drive around 60-65mph.
    I always "drive it like I stole it" though. I am usually between 70 and 95 on the highway, and some city driving as well. I think the economy I get is great for my driving style.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    When I fill up I'll let you know. My LX 2.0 w/AT seems to be using BP gas slowly, too. Whatever it gets it will eventually do better, I have only 1665 miles on it. Drive 45-50mph in the city and 65-70mph highway.

fowler3
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    How can anyone have a 90% highway travel, unless they live right next to a freeway and all of their destinations are right next to a freeway? :)

True "highway" conditions, as stated by the EPA are rarely met in real world conditions. EPA considers "highway" driving as an uninterrupted 50mph cruise with no obstructions. So if you are driving 50mph in the middle of Kansas, you are driving under "highway" conditions.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    SPOILER - is simply to SPOIL the smooth flow of the wind across the back of the car which otherwise would tend to generate a low pressure area - per bernoulli's theorem - and lift the car up from the rear.

so that said - the spoiler is effective mostly for RWD cars - FWD cars anyways have the whole engine weight on it's driving wheels :)
    tired of coins rattling in the ashtray?

I lined the ashtray with asphalt rubber - the same that I used to line the trunk.

No more coin rattles!!!
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    "EPA considers "highway" driving as an uninterrupted 50mph cruise with no obstructions."
    This statement is partially wrong. The EPA highway rating is definitely not from driving at a constant speed (though close to it). How do you explain getting 38 mpg on a Civic EX 5-sp with an EPA highway rating of 35 mpg or getting 32 mpg on a 01 Protege 2.0 auto (currently with non-functioning lockup feature in 4th gear) with an EPA highway rating of 31 mpg. These real-world numbers are results of 90% (% of miles, not time) highway/10% city. 135 miles highway + 15 miles city a day.

Years ago (10, 15 years?) to make the ratings more "realistic", the EPA lowered the city numbers by 10% and the highway numbers by 22% (from their test results)

OTOH, the highway gas mileage ratings Consumer Reports publishes are "real" numbers and are much higher than the EPA numbers.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    That would explain me getting 33 mpg in my ES 2.0L 5sp. I didn't know that. Chikoo- The asphault rubber thing in the coin tray is a good idea, I will have to try that.
    The EPA highway rating on my ES 2.0 auto is 30 mpg, not 31 mpg.
    Why am I getting 26mpg? Is something wrong? and here is the other question. Why is it that my gas light will come on, I will go to fill it up, and it will take about 11 gallons? Should the light come on if it still has 4 more gallons of gas? It just seems to early for me. And how low are you guys letting the tank get when you are trying to figure out your milage?
    I let my tank go anywhere from 1/2 to where the empty light comes on. How many mailes do you get per tank? I usually get 300-330. Mine takes like 12 gallons when the light comes on too. And I get 24-28 mpg with my ES 2.0. Do you drive alot of city or something? I get only 26 because I drive it hard.
    I get use to get 380 (when the light would go on)
    Now with AC on I am getting about 330. I need to refigure my numbers.
    If the gas tank took in 11 gallons after you'd driven the car 330 miles, how did you come up with 26 mpg?
    I need to refigure my numbers.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Now see what I get for not checking in here for a few days. I had to read through 86 new posts!! Whew!!

As for the top speed question... hehehehe

I've managed to hit the speed limiter of 119mph when I was racing a Mustang and an Integra. Once you hit 119-120mph, the limiter kicks in a won't give you any power for a couple of seconds. I feel my car could probably get close to 130mph, since it was still pulling hard up to 119mph. Stability and handling were excellent at those speeds. Of course, I no longer have the standard tires. I'm now running Nitto NT450 "Extreme Performance" 205/50R15's. My original Bridgestone Potenza's lasted a whole 18,000 miles before they were just about bald. I now have about 42,000 miles on the car and the Nitto's are at about half-life. Excellent tires, although they do "speak" quite often!

As far as mileage... I generally average about 22mpg in the city and about 30-31mpg highway. In the city, it's all stoplight-to-stoplight drag races. On the highway, I average about 75-80mph with the AC on.

I've replaced my spark plugs with Bosch Platinum Plus 4's. The car seems to have a bit more high-end power and it runs slightly cooler than it was with the old spark plugs. Of course, it may just be that way because the other spark plugs were old and needed to be retired. What will I put in next time? I'll save the extra money and put regular spark plugs back in. That is until I can find a supercharger or turbo to put under the hood!!!
    What do you plan on doing with your Protoge? The purpose of the tires on the ES isn't so much top speed, but handling.
    120? is that it? I was hoping to at least hit 122.48 mph on negative slope hill. Oh well, in a car like that, it's enough for me.

BTW, the speed limiter doesn't work during a free fall.

Well, tomorrow it will be at half a tank and that's where I filled last time. So I will go to the same gas station and top it off at the same pump. The auto-cutoff at that pump should work the same as last week. Best way to see what it is getting.

But at 1,665 miles I don't expect it to be doing its best so soon. =)

fowler3
    My commute to work is 27miles. I live 1 mile from the highway and there are 2 stop lights and 1 stop sign before I get there. Once I get off the highway I have to go through 2 stop lights and 5 stop signs before I get to work. Thats about 1.5-2 miles. Total city about 4 miles and total highway 23 miles. I keep my own hours so I can work when ever I want. Still, I live in the midwest so I can leave home around 8am and leave work around 6pm. I take I270 and then I44 into St. Louis. If one takes I40 you can shave about 7 miles off the trip but then you will have to sit in some traffic and it still takes the same amount of time. 27 miles.....30-35 minutes in "rush hour". I like the midwest.
    How many of you have had a 4 wheel aligment done, how many and at what mileage?

Me: Once when I took delivery of the car. Never after that in 28,000 miles so far. Still no shimmy or vibrations. Runs as if on rails - goes like an arrow if you take the hands of the wheel.

On the other hand, My friend's 300M (which he doesn't zoom-zoom in and treats like a child) has steering wheel shimmy and vibrations coming up at 22000 miles.
    I don't have a Protege, but you guys are discussing a topic I am interested in so I hope you will pardon me for butting in.

How does anyone figure how much of their mileage is city and how much is highway? I don't know about you, but there is more to my miles than my commute to work.

When I compute my fuel economy, I just take the number of miles divided by the number of gallons and leave it at that. I don't try to figure out, "Well, I had 75% highway and 25% city street this time." Or "I had 90% highway and 10% city street that time."
    % is just a guesstimate unless you keep one heck of a log. Overall mpg is about as far as I go.

• jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    It is sad that the speed limiter is set at 119mph... I believe that is the same limit for the 1.6L models also. As far as disabling it... I believe the speed limiter is integrated with the EEC-V powertrain control computer, so it's not something that can just be unplugged. The computer itself (an Intel processor!!! ugh!!! I almost returned the car after I saw that!!! I'm a 15 year Mac user!!!!) would have to be modified. I'm still watching superchip.com and waiting for them to release a chip modification. It will boost hp and torque by about 8-12%, improve throttle response, and remove the speed limiter. Unfortunately, it requires premium fuel.

Has anyone looked at the major auto magazines (Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road & Track, Automobile) this month? Each one has a large two-page ad of the MP3. It's pretty cool with a tag line that says something like, "All MP3's allow you to download, play, and burn songs, but only one lets you downshift!"
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    ...about that little Intel chip.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to do Windows. Which is a good thing considering how often the computers at work crash... ;)

I wonder though, is the computer and the shift programming behind the rough shift from 1st to 2nd in the auto tranny? I've learned when to lift off the accelerator to minimize the thunk, but it's still annoying.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    I don't know about MPG but all I know is Toyotas really lack styling :( Have fun with your echo...LOL, your (snicker) dream car...ROFL!
    That's rude! He wrote a friendly post and made a fair comment.
  • x0wx0w Member Posts: 1
    I am a green hand on cars. I just bought a '91 Protege. Its front safety belts seem very loose even when I drag them very fast. Yet the mechanic in a repair shop said this is normal. I wonder if it's safe to use these belts. Do I need to replace them? Could any one help to comment? Thanks very much.
    I am a very frugal, practical person so my car fits everything that I was looking for. That it has great 0 to 60 and quarter mile times (for a car with its hp) is a bonus.

Honestly, I could have afforded the lease payment on a Bimmer, but didn't really see the sense in putting out so much money a month.

I did look at the Protege, but the fact that the styling has basically remained the same for a number of years did not win me over.
    I have done quite a few top speed (or close) runs in various cars. In my old mustang, I did 130 mph, it was supposed to top out at 141, but I didn't feel like traveling at that speed for very long because it would have taken a while to get up there. This was in 4th gear too. I took a camaro six speed up to 145 mph, and it reached that speed fairly quickly, although it was quite scary and the wind noise was deafening. I don't know if I am going to push the Protoge like that though since it is my first brand new car and it would take light years to reach top speed. I would rather do it in a car that can get there quickly. I like to get it over with, I don't like to spend much time at speeds like that. I do it on deserted country roads here in MN too, but you have to watch out for deer, hit one at those speeds and your dead.
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    Chikoo,
    I don't have many miles yet, no shimmy-shake.

Maybe your buddy hit a curb when cornering or parking - that's enough to make it go out-of-whack. A friend of mine used to complain about tire troubles which I didn't understand until I saw him parallel park, ouch - he rammed into the curb several times and wasn't aware it might be the problem.
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    just got my silver LX 2.0 with 1,100 discount and 500 dollar rebate. my question, has anyone install the 6 disc change yet, i told my old one out of my saturn and would like to install on protege. in the saturn it just pluged in with the thick cable. thanks

p.s. you guys were right about the oil filter location, it does suck
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    I was actually just saying what he had said about the Protege in the message room "Car commercials" it just made me angry what he said before. The Protege does not lack styling.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    We had some pretty good storms here in Atlanta today and it was one of the few times my car was at work when they hit. I noticed this evening that I had wet carpet in the trunk on both sides directly below the two intrusive brackets. Anyone else had anything like this happen? I have not noticed it before. Maybe my car was parked at just the right (or wrong) angle this time.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    No leaks on my '99es, but it never rains hard in Portland, OR, it just rains all the time. Sometimes a little debris on the seal lets water in, or you may have an irregularity in the sheetmetal where the rubber seals.
    Has anyone changed the 6x9 speakers in the pro's rear deck? What model? Did the sound improve?
    and in 10 days of city driving, 45mph highest speed, I got 23.5mpg. That's with 1,671 miles on the car.I expect it to do better the closer I get to the first 5,000 miles.

Well, maybe a couple zooms here and there.;)

This afternoon, I was behind a Buick and it started to buck up and down sort of porpusing. I started to brake wondering what he ran over. It was a small dip in the pavement and the Buick’s soft suspension really made that car go through the craziest actions. My Protegé LX didn’t budge, I never felt it at all. Now, I know WHY I stopped buying American cars 30 years ago!

fowler3
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I get the same reaction when a really large boat car (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, Buick) goes over those speed bumps in a supermarket parking lot. It's funny seeing those huge things bob up and down while our Protege's just hit it once and that's it - no more bouncing!

Where in the world has everyone gone? I haven't seen Speedypt, Mdaffron, and Protegextwo post in quite a while...
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    their enthusiasm for their pros has waned due to unexpected problems and they don't want to say anything negative for fear of the wrath of still exhuberent pro lovers.
    I was in a real ritzy neighborhood the other day(houses in the 500k and up range) and there in the driveway of one of them was...not one but 2 proteges. Made me feel like one of the elite crowd, like you know, even the rich people can live with the lowly Pro and not feel outclassed. Could that have been prox2's house?