Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Too bad you didn't say anything about the plastic flaps in the lock cylinders. One of mine broke within a year of getting my '99LX and I got them to replace both with lock cylinders equipped with metal flaps under warranty.

It might be worth a shot still.

I too, noticed that the top trim panel on the rear doors warp with changing humidity. Did you know they are made of shaped compressed chipboard? They seem to have some coating, but RH still seems to affect them. Mine seem to warp more when it gets dry.

My Pro is still pretty good. I had to replace a head unit that stopped playing CDs, but I'm happier now (except for the tiny buttons) with my aftermarket HU. Honestly, I wouldn't know what I'd buy to replace it if I had to today. There's nothing out there right now that really appeals to me (the 2005 Kia Spectra5 looks interesting, but it doesn't appeal to me as much as the P5 did).
  • Options
    janslorjanslor Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I'm new to this group. I just bought a used 2000 Protege LX. Wanted a Mazda 3 (being my very first car and all) but I'm a little tight on the budget. Why'd you guys chose a Mazda intead of a Honda or a Toyota? I'm actually debating on these 3 makes and ended up with a mazda.

Janslor
  • Options
    civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    handling
    passenger room
    equipment at price level
    handling
  • Options
    newtoboardnewtoboard Member Posts: 12
    I am about 4K past my 60K mile service for my 99 Protege. I called the local dealer and they said that it would run me about $450 if there was no timing belt and about $810 if there was a timing belt.

Does anyone know if the 99 Protege has a timing belt or not? Also, if you don't go to the dealer to get your service done, is there a name brand place that you can go to such as an AutoZone to get service like this done, or is it best to go to the dealer. My local repair shops charge an arm and a leg and aren't very reputable.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    I would assume your 99 has a timing belt as my 01 and 03 Proteges do. One nice thing about the Protege is that it has a non-interference engine so if the timing belt were to break, it would not damage any of the engine components. This was unlike my previous 96 Galant in which there would be significant engine damage if the belt were to break...hence the name interference engine! This was one way for my local Mitsu service department to get their customers in a panic about their engine failing and they would harp on this at least 15,000 miles before the scheduled 60,000 mile belt replacement. It was ridiculous!

I'm very conscious of my engine maintenance so I would probably plan on doing the belt replacement soon. Personally, in my region of the country, I would take my car to the dealership for this type of repair...I don't trust my local mechanics with "foreign" cars either! I currently take both of my Mazdas to a somewhat distant dealership for everything except oil changes and tires. The dealership is extremely accommodating and is hundreds (yes, I said hundreds) cheaper than the Mazda dealership down the road from my house. For example, the "down the road" dealership was going to charge me $100 to replace the Protege nameplate on the back of the car. The "distant" dealership charged me $0 and affixed the new nameplate in seconds. Needless to say, the "distant" dealership has gained a lot of new customers from the "down the road" dealership!

Good luck and inform us as to what happens.
  • Options
    cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    Shouldn't the dealer know if there is a timing belt or not? I'm hoping when you said "dealer" you didn't mean a Mazda Dealer.

I think that $800+ for a the 60k service is way overpriced. I know prices are different in Canada and the USA but I think I only paid under $500 for mine. Call around and get a couple of prices, you may be surprised and get something much cheaper.
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    What the "dealer" may be asking newtoboard to confirm that the belt was not replaced earlier.

Edmunds has a used car section that is useful for finding the recommended maintenance for our Proteges. According to Edmunds it looks like there is a timing belt on 1999 Proteges and the service would be in the U$450 range.

p.s. some garages may recommend changing other belts located close to the timing belt at the same time. This is actually a wise move as the labor to get to these belts can be costly ... so while the mechanic is already there he may as well change the others as well for a few more dollars (the belts are cheap). Or you can wait for these other belts to break and pay to have the whole job redone.
  • Options
    cdnp5,

Yes I did mean a Mazda Dealer, as I don't trust many of my local mechanics with my car, as I've gotten overpriced and ripped off a few times too many. I was quoted a price of $450 if I didn't have a timing belt and $810 if I did. I live in NY, so that might be part of the problem, but I do know that there are other dealers in my area so maybe I will try to give them a call and see if they quote me a different price.

Thanks for the responses, and if anyone else has any ideas I would gladly welcome them.

Thanks
  • Options
    oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    Just curious...where in New York? I live in Western New York about twenty minutes outside of Buffalo. If you're in this area, I'd recommend Towne Mazda in Orchard Park.

...and speaking from experience, New York is a big part of many problems. :)
  • Options
    I live WAYYYYYY down state...in the Bronx to be exact, and it seems like all the dealers here are trying to make a dent in your wallet without doing anything for the car.

I just don't want the car to die on me all of a sudden as I can't afford to lease or finance a new one right now.
  • Options
    63corvette63corvette Member Posts: 51
    The dealer where my Protege was purchased wants $515 for the 30,000 mile service? That sounds rediculously high to me. Can anyone else give me some numbers for comparison. I'm in Richland, WA.

In addition, how often do I need to change spark plugs? Most cars only change around 100,000 miles now. Anyspecial challanges to plug change?
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the protege, but other fwd ohc 4cyl engines I have worked on were relatively easy to change timing belts on. Get the right parts, pay attention to sequence of disassembly, make sure to keep the pulleys aligned. I will probably attempt to change the belt on my '99 pro es unless the haynes manual suggests something unusual is involved.
  • Options
    The local dealers here quote around $500 for that. Timing belt adds andother $250-300. As already mentioned, get the accessory belts replaced at the same time.

I did the belts on my last car ('89 323LX), but I think I'll pay to have this done on my '99LX (way too cramped in the engine bay for me).

I'd get a coolant flush and an AT fluid flush (if so equipped) as well.

I'm looking at my 60k service in about 2-3 months.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    In my state (Virginia), I don't have to change my Protege's timing belt until 105K miles. I couldn't believe that when I first read it, so I asked my service adviser about it. He said he had a Honda Civic of his own that had the same recommendation, and he recommended ... following the owner's manual! I have 87,700 miles on my 2000 ES now and I'm still on my original timing belt.

Hey -- if it breaks, it's a non-interference engine. And if it does break before the recommended change, you betcha I'm gonna be right on top of my service adviser!!!

Meade
  • Options
    If you are not afraid of the car dying on you, drive it until the belt breaks. it might last 200k miles.
  • Options
    Yeah -- that's what AAA is for!

Meade
  • Options
    zzoommzzoomm Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I just had a flat front-passenger tire a few days ago on my 02 Protege5. The tire was not repairable and I had to get a new one. The only tire in the vicinity was a Toyo Proxes4 (195/50/16) I got at Les Schwab. My other three tires are still ok, the signs of wear is definitely noticeable (30000 miles on them) and I probably will have to change them some time this year.

So my question is what kind of new tires have you all put on your Protege5? According to Dunlop's website, it seems like they don't make the original SP Sport 5000 with that size any more. I checked with CostCo and they couldn't find any brand with 195/50/16, but they recommended 205/50/16, which is supposed to fit just fine. They recommended the Michelin Pilot Primacy or the Bridgestone RE92.

Has anybody tried these or other tires? How well do they work? Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi zzoomm. There's a ton of information available on the Protege5 forum. You can scan the forum by using "tires" as a keyword OR you can go to message 7183 in that forum to find a list of replacement tires purchased by various members.
  • Options
    195/50-16 Kumho ECSTA ASX

205/50-16 Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico

Avon Tech M500

Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 [expensive]

check out tirerack.com - good prices, good service
  • Options
    mazdaownermazdaowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Protege with 86600 miles on her and for about 6 months now it does not like to start, especially when it is cold. I can hear the fuel pump turning on and off when i turn the car over. The battery is new, alternator is new, new plugs, dist. cap, wires, mass air flow sensor and system. I have had it in garage after garage, check engine light has been on and no one can figure it out.

When i go to start it is turns over kinda slow then gets worst, what I have to do is push the gas down to get fuel through it it seems, then lay off the gas and she will start after some more cranking. This should not have to happen on a fuel injected car right?

I am thinking it has something to do with the fuel system, fitler, pump, sensors...something has got to be throwing it off on start up.

Any input or ideas will be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

Brent
  • Options
    falcon38falcon38 Member Posts: 1
    emergency lights come on upon start up for about 2 minutes and then go away. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks
  • Options
    polymorphapolymorpha Member Posts: 16
    The glass in both the right and left rear view mirrors in my '95 Protege has spontaneously cracked in the past few years and I am looking at replacement options. The dealer wants $30+ for the glass, installation extra. My other option would be to get the whole unit (they are not power mirrors) from a junkyard for a yet to be determined price. Does anyone have experience installing either the whole mirror or just the glass and can advise me on the difficulty of either?
    I replaced the glass once on a Civic. It needed to be snapped in at three places and I never could get the third in, which meant that it could not be adjusted from inside the car.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

Polymorpha
  • Options
    www.carmirror.com

Looks like you remove a few screws to take out the old and reverse for install. I've not done it personally, but it looks relatively simple. I've got a gen-3 Protege. Don't know about the gen2, though I doubt it's that different.
  • Options
    Sounds like you need a new switch. You could try to fix the switch (I suspect some water condenses between the contacts, which are probably a bit too close, creating enough of a conductive path until enough heat is generated to evaporate the water), but it'd be less effort to just replace it. A short across the switch leads could also cause this to happen. I doubt a problem in the relay as the dashboard-mounted switch must be closed to complete the circuit.
  • Options
    coneyman1coneyman1 Member Posts: 8
    The check engine light came on in my '02 Protege-5. The dealer said it was a clogged egr valve.
    Car has 30,000 mls., but dealer said cleaning part wasn't covered. They wanted $255 to do it, and also reccomended replacing wires and plugs due to "possibility of car running hot because of clogged egr valve ".

It all sounds like B.S. to me.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and does anyone know where egr valve is located/is cleaning out a do-it-yourself job ?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Options
    Timely question. Go to the Mazda Protege Owners: Problems and Solutions forum for some recent information and advice.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Time for another chat session with your fellow forum residents! Should be another fun hour as we discuss the automotive (and some not-so-automotive) issues of the day.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    loramloram Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks.

2002 P5 owner here. The great canadian winter killed my hatch shocks - have to replace them. I'm just wondering if i have to pay the dealer to do it, or can i do it myself?

As far as i can see, 4 bolts don't look like a big deal, but then there's questions of torque? install open/semiclosed? do you have to prep the shocks in any way? etc. etc?

Just wondering if anyone has done it before / knows the replacement procedure / has instructions, etc.?

I have a big torque wrench and socket set, but i don't want to damage the hatch shocks on install either. I've searched this forum as well as google... can't find anything.

help appreciated!
  • Options
    But I did replace the ones on my dad's Olds Firenza hatchback. That was an easy job. It's best done with two people (the bigger one gets to hold up the hatch) or with an a-frame ladder of the right height. I guess I could have used 2x4s when I did my dad's Firenza, but hey, what's family for, if not to hold things in place while I'm tightening some screws?

And just hand-tighten. If they come loose, tighten a little more the next time. :)

Seriously, I'll look to see if there are torque specs in my service manual (I can't recall if it's from Haynes or Chiltons), though I bought it for my '99 LX. It may not list anything for the P5, which came a couple model years later to the US.
  • Options
    cher9094cher9094 Member Posts: 2
    I need your help- I'm about to take a road trip from Atlanta to Raleigh. My car is at 59,200 and honestly I don't have a grand to drop to have the timing belt replaced or have a tuneup- I won't be able to do that until I hit about 65,000.

I am going to get a wheel alignment this morning and possibly have my transmission fluid flushed. I had an oil change about 600 miles ago.

Will I be ok to make this drive - what are the chances that my timing belt will crap out on me? I'm quite nervous and am not sure whether or not I should wait on the trip. Thanks!
  • Options
    Um, you haven't told us what year car you have. My 2000 Protege didn't require timing belt replacement until 105,000 miles.

All else being equal -- what are the chances, you ask? Well, if your luck's like mine, your timing belt would probably have lasted another 20,000 miles -- until you made the decision to take this trip. It'll die on you at the worst possible moment.

:)

However -- Atlanta to Raleigh? Been there, done that. (I live in Richmond and have a friend in Raleigh and relatives in Atlanta.) The whole trip is only 410 miles one way, so double that and you'll only be a few miles over 60K when you get home. I honestly think you'll be OK -- but I obviously can't guarantee anything!

Meade
  • Options
    cher9094cher9094 Member Posts: 2
    mine is a 2000 Protege as well. I hope it'll be ok! What about the transmission fluid? It's pretty dark......I just get nervous is all because I've had many car problems in the past with other cars......

any thoughts would really help- thanks!
  • Options
    Well, the whole timing belt thing depends on what state you live in, believe it or not. The best way to know what your timing belt change interval is is to check your owner's manual. It'll say in there what the recommended interval is. In Virginia it's 105,000 miles, and I just traded my 2000 Protege at 91,000 miles with the original timing belt on it. Check your manual.

Tranny fluid? No idea. Mine was a manual. Has the car had its recommended maintenance at the intervals called for in the manual?

Four hundred miles is not that huge a trip. I wouldn't really worry that much about it with a car that's only got 59,000 miles on it.

I did Richmond to Philadelphia and back in ONE DAY with the 2000 Protege a week before I sold it. Six hundred miles and some change in one day at 90,000 miles. Don't sweat your trip. Go to Raleigh and have fun.

Meade
  • Options
    stephvstephv Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when i should take my lemon, i mean protege to get a tune-up? the manual got destroyed by my pooch, and i'm never going back to that dealer. :confuse:
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • Options
    gmazdagmazda Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 mazda protege with A\T and recently it started acting up. While driving the engines RPM's rev really high like if the car was in neutral or if the transmission was slipping, then the gear will finally catch. I've noticed that it does it less if the OD is off and I stay under about 50mph. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the outcome. ">
  • Options
    2000 mazda protege with A\T and recently it started acting up. While driving the engines RPM's rev really high like if the car was in neutral or if the transmission was slipping

Have you checked (or changed): a) your AT fluid level and condition? b) your AT filter?
  • Options
    atlprotegeatlprotege Member Posts: 1
    02 mazdaP5 needs 30,000 service, Metro Atlanta. any recommendations where to take it. anyone heard of motorcars international in Smyrna. any info appreciated. cheers
  • Options
    How about the dealership?

Meade
  • Options
    jlally1jlally1 Member Posts: 8
    I recently put in a new air cleaner prior to the 30K checkup for my wife's 2002 ES.
    I found a 1 inch thick rectangular shaped pad of what looked like pink fiberglass insulation. Is this normal. I also found 5 mummified mice. Who put the insulation there? It looked too good for the rodent to have made it but it did crumble when I tried to clean it. I also put in new spark plugs and found the engine to be much quieter. It was starting to sound like there were some high pitched sheet metal vibrations coming from under the hood. It now sounds like a brand new car again. Any info about the insulation would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance
  • Options
    Did you buy the car new or used?

But first -- you said you replaced the air filter. Did the new one look like the one you described? I'll bet it didn't.

The manufacturer's air filter -- as with the aftermarket ones -- is a rectangular plastic frame with folded paper in it -- the paper looks a lot like the kind of "fans" we used to make in elementary school, but folded up tightly. The stock filter's paper is white. I've never seen a pink one.

I think somebody hosed you!

Meade
  • Options
    jlally1jlally1 Member Posts: 8
    we did buy the car new, and the pink insulation layer I found was in addition to the Standard white paper element Air filter that I replaced. I just thought that the pink stuff was out of place. We have only had the dealer maintain it since purchased.
  • Options
    A mystery wrapped up in a conundrum.
  • Options
    Sounds like a mouse tried to make its nest in there and dragged in some nesting material.

Actually, it's not that uncommon. It's a dark, warm place. She probably ran off when you next ran your car.
  • Options
    bgsteffebgsteffe Member Posts: 3
    Hey all, I'm new here. I live in Iowa and have a 2001 Protege DX, mileage at 56,500. I've had the car for a year and a half now, and love it. Never had to take it in for anything but oil changes so far....until today. I'm taking a trip to Colorado in a few days, and the check engine light came on yesterday (of course, great timing). I took it in to the local Mazda dealership, and the diagnosis was that the PCM software needed to be updated for the base idle speed. For this, they charged $222 for diagnosis and reprogramming of the PCM. It's the first time I've used the dealership, and was just wondering if their prices and diagnosis are legit. Also, when I picked my car up (after-hours), I noticed a very faint knocking coming from under the hood where there was none before. Would this be normal, or is it something that I should take back in before I leave on my trip? I've got more questions, but I'll save them for a later post, as I appear to be writing a novel already. Any input would be appreciated, as my Mazda is baby and I love her. :)
  • Options
    And be sure to mention that noise wasn't there before they worked on it.

I do think that was expensive for the diagnosis and service. Did they do anything else? Any services or parts would be listed on your receipt. The labor rates at the dealerships I've used is around $75/hr. They usually charge only 1/2-1hr for a simple diagnosis (hook it up to their computer and read the codes without any real investigating).

Most auto parts stores also offer free code-reading for a CEL. I've bugged my local AutoZone for a recurring CEL (related to a stuck EGR valve). My dealership had to clean that bugger out at least 3X. At least they didn't charge me for the follow-up services, but they did occur really soon after the cleaning service (which I thought was expensive, as replacing the EGR valve would have cost only a little more). They also gloss the sidewalls of my tires and offer a shuttle service within a 12 mile radius of their shop (which just gets me to and from my workplace).
  • Options
    OK, it was more like rooting around while standing outside an over-sized corrugated cardboard carton.

But I scored some Chilton shop-level service manuals (still in shrink wrap!). I think some distributor didn't sell all their copies, and just decided to recycle them (I was dropping off a load of paper and cardboard). I got a 2001 and a 2003 import service manual. Heh heh.

So the moral is: It pays to recycle. :)
  • Options
    bohoboho Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Protege and want to do the 60K maintenance. From several shops I called north of DC I got service times of 2, 3, 4 and 7 hours and costs from $269 to $585. Does anyone know what a good 60K job is supposed to cost and how many hours it generally takes?
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    If you're talking dealer shops, every one will probably include different items from every other one --- and none may exactly match the Mazda recommended 60K service. If it were me, I would pick the one coming closest to matching the Mazda recommended service, at somewhere closest to the lowest price if possible. In any case, get a precise list of what is included, and make sure they do not proceed with anything beyond that without checking for your permission.
  • Options
    jesmawaljesmawal Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hello everyone!

I am sure you have heard this many times before but I have had one recommendation to get my timing belt replaced on my 01 LX Protege with 67,000 miles on it and I have no idea of how much this will cost. I am a female who does not know a lot about the internal elements of my car and I just need some advice. For the record I am a full-time college student and I do not have a lot of money, so I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to fix this. I live in Vegas, does anyone know a reputable and not to expensive car shop I could go to? My car is my life, I use it for school and work and have obviously put some mileage on it since I purchased it in '02. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you all for your time!
This discussion has been closed.